A Bag of Books (was EP Model -- Delphi version, revised -- again!)

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.16.1245)]

···

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but they were still feeling a part of the elephant and describing it. For example they can still describe the rough, long, trunk with holes at the end even though they don’t know it’s a trunk. We can use some if this information to understand the elephant, and we might have to if we can’t reach the trunk ourselves. It is hard to use such a filter but sometimes necessary…

RM: The “blind men” of psychology have, indeed, given very good, detailed descriptions and explanations of the parts of the “elephant” that they were feeling. There are hundreds of papers describing the factors that affect S-R relationships, that determine how consequences select behavior and that influence the way cognitive processing produces outputs. This is called conventional psychology and it has led to no progress in our understanding of the “elephant” of control, even though these phenomena are all manifestations of that phenomenon (as per my “Blind Men” paper). So far, none of the information obtained by the blind men of psychology has informed our understanding of the “elephant of control” in any way; indeed, it has only prevented the study of the whole elephant; that is, it has prevented psychology from putting on “control theory glasses” and starting the study behavior from a PCT perspective.

So if the “World According to PCT” book is going to be a collection of papers about what S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology tells us about PCT then it will not be a book that honors the legacy of Bill Powers, who spent his life trying to explain that research done from those perspectives is as misleading about the nature of behavior as is a blind man’s description of a part of an elephant. It would certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were about what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology. But the best would be chapters that are about what PCT tells us about the elephant itself; the behavior of living systems. And just forget about what the blind men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken rsmarken@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.15.1900)]

sp; – Bertrand Russellat worst

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation.
– Bertrand Russell

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and Rick, I think there is probably ‘value’ in most other studies and theories as they are studying the same elephant sometimes in ways we don’t have the time, inclination or technology to do,

RM: I take it you are alluding to my “Blind Men and the Elephant” paper reprinted in “More Mind Readings”. Remember, the guys studying the elephant were blind. So when asked to describe an elephant they described the feel of the part of the elephant that was near them – a snake, rope or wall – none of which is a correct description of an elephant. The elephant in the paper, of course, is control. So the point of the paper is that people who don’t know that behavior is control are going to approach the study of behavior are though it is S-R (behaviorist), selection by consequences (reinforcement theory) or commanded output (cognitive). The analogy to the “Blind Men and the Elephant” parable is meant to show that these different approaches to understanding behavior have as little value as do the blind men’s approaches to understanding an elephant.

RM: So I strongly disagree with the statement that “there is probably ‘value’ in most other studies and theories as they are studying the same elephant .” The “Blind Men” paper argues that if you can’t see the whole elephant – if you can’t see that behavior is control – then what you conclude about it is of little value and, possibly, of negative value because it can be quite misleading; behavior is not S-R or selection by consequences or commanded output. These are all ways of seeing control if you can only “see” it by feeling selected parts of it, as was the case for the blind men and the elephant – and as is the case for these “other studies and theories” that were not done in the context of an understanding that behavior is control.

W: but that needs to be seen ‘through control theory glasses’ to quote you Rick. This could even lead to the opposite conclusions to the original researchers, yet still be informative for a PCT model.

RM: Exactly! You have to see behavior through control theory glasses – see that behavior is a process of control, in fact, not in theory – before you have any chance of coming to correct conclusions about how it works. The EP people did not see behavior as control – indeed, they went out of their way to see it as commanded output. And thus they came up with a model that explains what they think they are seeing – commanded output – but doesn’t explain what is actually happening – control.

RM: I think this point – that behavioral research of any kind that is done without an understanding that behavior is control is useless at best and misleading at worst – has to be made forcefully if we are to honor Bill’s vision for this book. For, as Bill said in the proposal for the book:

WTP: This is going to be a revolution whether we like
it or not. There are going to be arguments, screaming and yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to sink or swim.

RM: I think it’s time to stop playing Mr. Nice Guy with theorists who subjected Bill’s ideas to the “massive” (and often insulting) resistance to which Bill alludes in the book proposal. And I think you will agree, when you read that proposal again – especially the last few paragraphs – that Bill was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Feb 2014, at 02:54, Richard Marken rsmarken@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.14.1900)]

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russellat worst

Bruce Abbott (2014.02.13.1520 EST)–

BA: Nice, Rick. I had been thinking about doing this experiment myself but using a paper scale pasted to a wall and capturing the dynamics on video using my digital camera.

The video can be imported to, say, Microsoft’s Movie Maker program, and examined frame by frame to get position as a function of time and from that, velocity and acceleration.

RM: I would love to see that. You should do it. I was trying to keep mine very low tech; something you could do while visiting your granddaughter in Seattle;-)

BA: This experiment differs from the one used to determine the parameters of the EP model: the participant is consciously trying to maintain a constant joint angle. The EP model is supposed to model what happens under a change of load when the muscle lambdas are not voluntarily altered.

RM: This is a pretty incoherent experiment. What does it mean that the EP model is supposed to model what happens when the muscle lambdas are “not voluntarily altered”. What is voluntarily? What does consciousness have to do with it?

I thought the EP model was a model of how people move their limbs (it looks that way in the simulation; varying R results in nice smooth variations in elbow angle). Now you seem to be saying that it’s a model of some other kind of behavior; one that I don’t understand. It’s apparently the behavior of a person who can command different limb angles but isn’t controlling the limb at the commanded angle. In other words, it seems that you are saying that the EP model is a model of commanded output behavior. Since we know that the behavior of humans is not commanded output but controlled perceptual input, the EP model is apparently a model of the behavior of non-living systems. So EP is neither a competitor nor an alternative to PCT.So why are we even talking about it?

BA: As I noted in my previous post, conscious control of joint angle might work by adjusting the lambdas so as to compensate for load changes. That, of course, requires a level of control not present in the EP model simulated in my demo.

RM: What is “conscious control”? Control and consciousness are two different things, as you must know. Control occurs whether one is conscious or unconscious of it occurring. Are you saying that EP is a model of “unconscious control”? If so, it’s back to being a competitor of PCT because control is control, whether you are conscious of it or not.

BA: Have you tried not attempting to maintain a constant joint angle, but just letting the forearm sag as it will in response to the added load?

RM: I don’t even know what that means? My first guess is to just not control the angle at my elbow at all. The result would be my arm dangling at my side. Adding weight would just feel heavier in my hand. But I really don’t know how to stop controlling. I’m still controlling limb angle even when I just let my arm dangle as could be determined if someone tried to bend my forearm back past vertical while holding my upper arm stationary. I would resist that disturbance big time.

BA: As Martin Taylor has noted, the correct model will be the one that embodies, at some level of abstraction, the actual physiological mechanisms (while also accounting for joint dynamics).

RM: No, the correct model will be one that behaves like a person does (ie. controls limb angle) while not violating what we know about the physiology and physics of the situation. Judging the model by its fidelity to the physiology is, I think, like trying to fit it into a Procrustean bed. For several reasons. First, the physiology is itself a theory based on observations that are themselves guided by how we think the physiology works. So the “true” physiology today is likely to be considered “not quite right” tomorrow.

Second, it’s possible to build models that are consistent with our current understanding of the physiology and are dead wrong. After all, the behavioral model that is the basis of all research in psychology – the general linear model of behavior – is comfortably consistent with the most basic observations of neurophysiology, which is that there are afferent neurons that carry sensory data into the the central nervous system and efferent neurons that carry data from the central nervous system to the muscles and glands that produce behavior.So our most basic understanding of the neurophysiology of the nervous system is completely consistent with a model of behavior – the GLM – that we know to be wrong.

Finally, making consistency with the physiology being a criterion for a successful model is related to the idea that the behavior of organisms must obey the laws of matter, as discussed by Powers on pp. 16-18 of LCS III. Psychologists now seem to treat neurophysiology as the new “laws of matter” and use consistency with the neurophysiology as the measure of the correctness of a theory of behavior in the same way that they used to use the laws of physics for this purpose. But as Bill points out in that section of LCS III, it’s not just that the laws of matter (including neurophysiology) that govern behavior; it’s the organization of that matter that also matters. And the main organizational aspect of matter (and neurophysiology) that is ignored, even by models, like EP that get the neurophysiology right (in terms of what we now understand to be “right”), is the fact that the nervous system exists in a closed feedback loop that goes through the environment; the inputs to the nervous system (in a living system) are always a result of both independent events in the system’s environment (disturbances) and the muscular/glandular outputs of the nervous system itself. The EP model clearly doesn’t take this organizational fact into account – “clearly” because it doesn’t control.

Your lovely simulation of the EP model demonstrates this fact beautifully. It is not a control model. Therefore, it is not a model of human behavior. Period. Why you keep trying to find something of value in this model is beyond me. Your simulation of their model clearly demonstrates two very important facts about the EP model: 1) it doesn’t control and 2) it’s behavior looks like the behavior of a living system (in the sense that variations in R result in nice realistic variations in the angle at the elbow) until you apply disturbances and see that it is not controlling; it’s just generating output. So the model shows that behavior can look like commanded output rather than control; you can’t tell that control is actually going on until you test by applying disturbances to the presumed controiations in R result in nice realistic variations in the angle at the elbow) until you apply disturbances and see that it is not controlling; it’s just generating output. So the model shows that behavior can look like commanded output rather than control; you can’t tell that control is actually going on until you test by applying disturbances to the presumed controlled variable.

This is such a dynamite finding; and it’s thanks to your modeling effort. I hope that the paper you write based on this work will make these points clearly and forcefully. For the sake of PCT and Bill Powers’ legacy.

Best

Rick

I could easily design a robotic servo system to maintain a joint angle against disturbances, but I can pretty much guarantee that there are no electric servomotors actuating our joints.

Bruce

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:29 PM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: A Bag of Books (was EP Model – Delphi version, revised – again!)

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of this thread is a play on Powers’ paper “A Bucket of Beans” (reprinted in LCS II) in which he uses a bucket on a rubber band (what else?) to demonstrate some properties of control. In this thread I describe a little experiment that demonstrates characteristics of limb position control using a bag of books. Keeping up the low tech experimentation tradition;-)

Earlier I had posted this observation about the behavior of the EP model:

RM: The fact that the EP model is not a control model is even more evident when one compares the behavior of the EP model to that of a control model that better represents what actually happens when increasing step disturbances of weight are applied to a limb. This is shown by the yellow line (labelled icv to indicate that these are the variations in limb angle that result when limb angle is controlled by an integral control system). Except for the brief “jerks” that occur at the points where the step disturbance increases, the control system keeps the limb angle right at the reference angle (0 in this case) protected from the increasing step disturbances. This corresponds to the behavior you would actually observe in a human. You could see this by by having someone hold a bag in their hand at a fixed angle from their body and then drop one pound weights one at a time into the bag. I think you will find that the behavior of the person’s arm angle over time will looks a lot more like the yellow plot (icv) than the green one (ep).

Since then I have actually performed this experiment. I think it’s worth doing it yourself so that you can get a feel for the difference between control and equilibrium.

First, start with the EP Model prediction of the effect of adding weight to a limb using Bruce’s EP model simulation. Set the EP model to run continuously with R=90 and C=90 (you’ll have to start with R=60 and then increase R to 90 after you set the model to “Run Continuously” and then press “Run Model” or the model will oscillate). Note the actual joint angle (shown in the Joint Angle box) is 90 degrees. Next add weight 1 kg at a time until you reach the max of 10 kg.The result is that the forearm sags about 1+ degree from a 90 degree angle at the elbow each time 1 kg (2.2 lbs) weights is added, ending at 101 degrees after 10 kg is added – an 11 degree increase in elbow joint angle. So the prediction of the EP model at the highest “gain” setting (maximum C value) is that adding weight to the hand while you are trying to maintain a particular angle (like 90 degrees) at the elbow will result in the angle increasing (forearm going down) as the weight increases.

We can test this prediction by having a friend hold a reasonably strong bag in their hand, palm up, while keeping their elbow at a 90 degree angle relative to the body. It’s nice to do this in a place where the hand can point directly at a reference point so that you can get a better idea of how much the hand position has changed when weight (in the form of books) is added to the bag. Now (gently) drop books into the bag one at a time and see what happens to the arm position. I found that volumes of our old World Book Encyclopedia work well; the volumes are all close to 2 lbs (~1kg). Dropping the books into the bag one at a time is equivalent to the step increase in weight produced by the EP program when the weight is ticked up by 1 kg at a time.

I think what you will see is behavior that is nothing like that of the EP model. What I observed is that each time a book is dropped into the bag there is a transient increase in the angle at the elbow, so that the hand dips below the reference point to which it is pointed, but the position of the hand is quickly restored to pointing at the reference point each time a book is added; the 90 degree reference angle at the elbow is quickly restored after each increase in weight; there is no increase in elbow joint angle with increasing weight. I could only fit about 14 lbs (6.5 kg) worth of books into my bag but at the end of the process the hand was still pointing exactly at the reference point. The EP model says it should have sagged 7 degrees below the reference point.

But these findings were based on the subject having visual control of joint angle. The EP Model is controlling blind, so to speak. So the proper way to test this is with the subjects eye’s closed. So once the subject has the elbow angle at 90 degrees and is pointing at a reference position,have him or her close the eyes and then start adding books and see what happens. When I did it with myself as subject I found that I was able to maintain the angle pretty well; again there was no continuous decrease in the angle as books were dropped into the bag, as per the EP model.

I think this little demo will give you at least a qualitative sense of how different control is from EP behavior. With eyes closed (the best test of the EP model) the response to a transient disturbance (a book dropping into a bad) is not a constant increase in elbow angle, as per the EP model; what actually happens is a transient lowering of the hand followed by an immediate raising of the hand back to (and sometimes slightly past) the reference position (the reference elbow angle). With continuous addition of books (and weight) to the bag there is not a continuous decrease in the position of the hand, as predicted by EP.

With eyes closed you are controlling a proprioceptive perception of elbow angle. This is a tougher perception to control than the visual perception of where the hand is pointing. But the proprioceptive perception can be controlled pretty well, though the actual position pointed to will vary a bit more when the eyes are closed then when they are open. But even with eyes closed there is not the the continuous increase in joint angle (decrease in the pointing position of the hand) predicted by the EP Model.

A more precise and formal version of this “Bag of Books” test, if done by the proponents of the EP model of limb position control, would surely have eliminated the EP model from contention as a model of limb position control since the EP model doesn’t control in this situation where people clearly do.

It would be nice if some of you actually did this experiment and let us know what you find.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russell

Hi Martin, isn’t there a difference between (A) modelling a linear chain of processes as part of a closed loop (and the hierarchy of those loops) and (B) assuming there is a direct connection between a stimulus in the environment and observable ‘behaviour’ (which varies in in how non-PCT approaches even measure) that is independent of the reference values of the organism?

I am saying it is likely there will be A in LCS-IV but not B, except to usefully critique B, to give us new insights. I had consider the R in S-R as observable behaviour.

I may just stay clear of these debates as being on the fence seems to have the potential to confuse and upset both sides! Maybe that is a good thing! The proof will be in the pudding as they say!

Warren

···

On 2014/02/17 10:11 AM, Warren Mansell
wrote:

Hi Rick, believe me I am with you on this! We just need to

sit down and explain what we mean a bit clearer. There won’t be
any S-R in LCSIV for sure!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
    On 16 Feb 2014, at 20:47, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM        >

wrote:

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM,

Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but they

were still feeling a part of the elephant and
describing it. For example they can still describe
the rough, long, trunk with holes at the end even
though they don’t know it’s a trunk. We can use
some if this information to understand the
elephant, and we might have to if we can’t reach
the trunk ourselves. It is hard to use such a
filter but sometimes necessary…

RM: The "blind men" of psychology have, indeed,

given very good, detailed descriptions and
explanations of the parts of the “elephant” that they
were feeling. There are hundreds of papers describing
the factors that affect S-R relationships, that
determine how consequences select behavior and that
influence the way cognitive processing produces
outputs. This is called conventional psychology and it
has led to no progress in our understanding of the
“elephant” of control, even though these phenomena are
all manifestations of that phenomenon (as per my
“Blind Men” paper). So far, none of the information
obtained by the blind men of psychology has informed
our understanding of the “elephant of control” in any
way; indeed, it has only prevented the study of the
whole elephant; that is, it has prevented psychology
from putting on “control theory glasses” and starting
the study behavior from a PCT perspective.

So if the "World According to PCT" book is going to

be a collection of papers about what S-R,
reinforcement and cognitive psychology tells us about
PCT then it will not be a book that honors the legacy
of Bill Powers, who spent his life trying to explain
that research done from those perspectives is as
misleading about the nature of behavior as is a blind
man’s description of a part of an elephant. It would
certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were about
what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement and
cognitive psychology. But the best would be chapters
that are about what PCT tells us about the elephant
itself; the behavior of living systems. And just
forget about what the blind men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
                      On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM                          >

wrote:

[From Rick Marken

(2014.02.15.1900)]

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014

at 8:21 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and Rick, I

think there is probably
‘value’ in most other studies
and theories as they are
studying the same elephant
sometimes in ways we don’t
have the time, inclination or
technology to do,

RM: I take it you are alluding

to my “Blind Men and the Elephant”
paper reprinted in “More Mind
Readings”. Remember, the guys
studying the elephant were
blind. So when asked to describe
an elephant they described the
feel of the part of the elephant
that was near them – a snake,
rope or wall – none of which is
a correct description of an
elephant. The elephant in the
paper, of course, is control. So
the point of the paper is that
people who don’t know that
behavior is control are going to
approach the study of behavior are
though it is S-R (behaviorist),
selection by consequences
(reinforcement theory) or
commanded output (cognitive). The
analogy to the “Blind Men and the
Elephant” parable is meant to show
that these different approaches to
understanding behavior have as
little value as do the blind
men’s approaches to understanding
an elephant.

RM: So I strongly disagree with

the statement that “there is
probably ‘value’ in most other
studies and theories as they are
studying the same elephant .” The
“Blind Men” paper argues that if
you can’t see the whole elephant
– if you can’t see that behavior
is control – then what you
conclude about it is of little
value and, possibly, of negative
value because it can be quite
misleading; behavior is not S-R or
selection by consequences or
commanded output. These are all
ways of seeing control if you can
only “see” it by feeling selected
parts of it, as was the case for
the blind men and the elephant –
and as is the case for these
“other studies and theories” that
were not done in the context of an
understanding that behavior is
control.

W: but that needs to be

seen ‘through control theory
glasses’ to quote you Rick.
This could even lead to the
opposite conclusions to the
original researchers, yet
still be informative for a PCT
model.

RM: Exactly! You have to see

behavior through control theory
glasses – see that behavior is
a process of control, in fact, not
in theory – before you have any
chance of coming to correct
conclusions about how it works.
The EP people did not see behavior
as control – indeed, they went
out of their way to see it as
commanded output. And thus they
came up with a model that explains
what they think they are seeing –
commanded output – but doesn’t
explain what is actually happening
– control.

RM: I think this point -- that

behavioral research of any kind
that is done without an
control is useless at best and
misleading at worst – has to be
made forcefully if we are to honor
Bill’s vision for this book. For,
as Bill said in the proposal for
the book:

WTP: This is going to be a

revolution whether we like
it or not. There are going to
be arguments, screaming and
yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to sink or
swim.

RM: I think it's time to

stop playing Mr. Nice Guy with
theorists who subjected Bill’s
ideas to the “massive” (and
often insulting) resistance to
which Bill alludes in the book
proposal. And I think you will
agree, when you read that
proposal again – especially the
last few paragraphs – that Bill
was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
                                          On 15 Feb 2014, at 02:54,

Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM >
wrote:

[From Rick

Marken (2014.02.14.1900)]

Bruce Abbott

(2014.02.13.1520
EST)–

BA: Nice,

Rick. I had
been thinking
about doing
this
experiment
myself but
using a paper
scale pasted
to a wall and
capturing the
dynamics on
video using my
digital
camera.

The video
can be
imported to,
say,
Microsoft’s
Movie Maker
program, and
examined frame
by frame to
get position
as a function
of time and
from that,
velocity and
acceleration.

RM:  I would

love to see
that. You should
do it. I was
trying to keep
mine very low
tech; something
you could do
while visiting
your
granddaughter in
Seattle;-)

BA: This

experiment
differs from
the one used
to determine
the parameters
of the EP
model: the
participant is
consciously
trying to
maintain a
constant joint
angle. The EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens under
a change of
load when the
muscle lambdas
are not
voluntarily
altered.

RM: This is a

pretty
incoherent
experiment. What
does it mean
that the EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens when the
muscle lambdas
are “not
voluntarily
altered”. What
is voluntarily?
What does
consciousness
have to do with
it?

I thought the

EP model was a
model of how
people move
their limbs (it
looks that way
in the
simulation;
varying R
results in nice
smooth
variations in
elbow angle).
Now you seem to
be saying that
it’s a model of
some other kind
of behavior; one
that I don’t
understand. It’s
apparently the
behavior of a
person who can
command
different limb
angles but isn’t
controlling the
limb at the
commanded angle.
In other words,
it seems that
you are saying
that the EP
model is a model
of commanded
output behavior.
Since we know
that the
behavior of
humans is not
commanded output
but controlled
perceptual
input, the EP
model is
apparently a
model of the
behavior of
non-living
systems. So EP
is neither a
competitor nor
an alternative
to PCT.So why
are we even
talking about
it?

BA: As I

noted in my
previous post,
conscious
control of
joint angle
might work by
adjusting the
lambdas so as
to compensate
for load
changes.
That, of
course,
requires a
level of
control not
present in the
EP model
simulated in
my demo.

RM: What is

“conscious
control”?
Control and
consciousness
are two
different
things, as you
must know.
Control occurs
whether one is
conscious or
unconscious of
it occurring.
Are you saying
that EP is a
model of
“unconscious
control”? If so,
it’s back to
being a
competitor of
PCT because
control is
control, whether
you are
conscious of it
or not.

BA: Have you
tried not attempting
to maintain a
constant joint
angle, but
just letting
the forearm
sag as it will
in response to
the added
load?

RM: I don't

even know what
that means? My
first guess is
to just not
control the
angle at my
elbow at all.
The result would
be my arm
dangling at my
side. Adding
weight would
just feel
heavier in my
hand. But I
really don’t
know how to stop
controlling. I’m
still
controlling limb
angle even when
I just let my
arm dangle as
could be
determined if
someone tried to
bend my forearm
back past
vertical while
holding my upper
arm stationary.
I would resist
that disturbance
big time.

BA: As Martin
Taylor has
noted, the
correct model
will be the
one that
embodies, at
some level of
abstraction,
the actual
physiological
mechanisms
(while also
accounting for
joint
dynamics).

RM: No, the

correct model
will be one that
behaves like a
person does (ie.
controls limb
angle) while not
violating what
we know about
the physiology
and physics of
the situation.
Judging the
model by its
fidelity to the
physiology is, I
think, like
trying to fit it
into a
Procrustean bed.
For several
reasons. First,
the physiology
is itself a
theory based on
observations
that are
themselves
guided by how we
think the
physiology
works. So the
“true”
physiology today
is likely to be
considered “not
quite right”
tomorrow.

Second, it's

possible to
build models
that are
consistent with
our current
understanding of
the physiology
and are dead
wrong. After
all, the
behavioral model
that is the
basis of all
research in
psychology –
the general
linear model of
behavior – is
comfortably
consistent with
the most basic
observations of
neurophysiology,
which is that
there are
afferent neurons
that carry
sensory data
into the the
central nervous
system and
efferent neurons
that carry data
from the central
nervous system
to the muscles
and glands that
produce
behavior.So our
most basic
understanding of
the
neurophysiology
of the nervous
system is
completely
consistent with
a model of
behavior – the
GLM – that we
know to be
wrong.

Finally,

making
consistency with
the physiology
being a
criterion for a
successful model
is related to
the idea that
the behavior of
organisms must
obey the laws of
matter, as
discussed by
Powers on pp.
16-18 of LCS
III.
Psychologists
now seem to
treat
neurophysiology
as the new “laws
of matter” and
use consistency
with the
neurophysiology
as the measure
of the
correctness of a
theory of
behavior in the
same way that
they used to use
the laws of
physics for this
purpose. But as
Bill points out
in that section
of LCS III, it’s
not just that
the laws of
matter
(including
neurophysiology)
that govern
behavior; it’s
the
organization of
that matter that
also matters.
And the main
organizational
aspect of matter
(and
neurophysiology)
that is ignored,
even by models,
like EP that get
the
neurophysiology
right (in terms
of what we now
understand to be
“right”), is the
fact that the
nervous system
exists in a
closed feedback
loop that goes
through the
environment; the
inputs to the
nervous system
(in a living
system) are
always a result
of both
independent
events in the
system’s
environment
(disturbances)
and the
muscular/glandular
outputs of the
nervous system
itself. The EP
model clearly
doesn’t take
this
organizational
fact into
account –
“clearly”
because it
doesn’t
control.

Your lovely

simulation of the EP
model demonstrates
this fact
beautifully. It is
not a control model.
Therefore, it is not
a model of human
behavior. Period.
Why you keep trying
to find something of
value in this model
is beyond me. Your
simulation of their
model clearly
demonstrates two
very important facts
about the EP model:

1. it doesn’t
    control and 2) it’s
    behavior looks like
    the behavior of a
    living system (in
    the sense that
    variations in R
    result in nice
    realistic variations
    in the angle at the
    elbow) until you
    apply disturbances
    and see that it is
    not controlling;
    it’s just generating
    output. So the model
    shows that behavior
    can look like
    commanded output
    rather than control;
    you can’t tell that
    control is actually
    going on until you
    test by applying
    disturbances to the
    presumed
    controiations in R
    result in nice
    realistic variations
    in the angle at the
    elbow) until you
    apply disturbances
    and see that it is
    not controlling;
    it’s just generating
    output. So the model
    shows that behavior
    can look like
    commanded output
    rather than control;
    you can’t tell that
    control is actually
    going on until you
    test by applying
    disturbances to the
    presumed controlled
    variable.
                                                    This is such

a dynamite
finding; and
it’s thanks to
your modeling
effort. I hope
that the paper
you write based
on this work
will make these
points clearly
and forcefully.
For the sake of
PCT and Bill
Powers’ legacy.

Best

Rick

I could
easily design
a robotic
servo system
to maintain a
joint angle
against
disturbances,
but I can
pretty much
guarantee that
there are no
electric
servomotors
actuating our
joints.

Bruce

Group Network
(CSGnet)
[mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU ]
** On Behalf
Of** Richard
Marken
Sent:
Thursday,
February 13,
2014 2:29 PM
Subject:
A Bag of Books
(was EP Model
– Delphi
version,
revised –
again!)

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of

this thread is
a play on
Powers’ paper
“A Bucket of
Beans”
(reprinted in
LCS II) in
which he uses
a bucket on a
rubber
band (what
else?) to
demonstrate
some
properties of
control. In
this thread I
describe a
little
experiment
that
demonstrates
characteristics
of limb
position
control using
a bag of
books. Keeping
up the low
tech
experimentation
tradition;-)

Earlier

I had posted
this
observation
about the
behavior of
the EP model:

RM:

The fact that
the EP model
is not a
control model
is even more
evident when
one compares
the behavior
of the EP
model to that
of a control
model that
better
represents
what actually
happens when
increasing
step
disturbances
of weight are
applied to a
limb. This is
shown by the
yellow line
(labelled icv
to indicate
that these are
the variations
in limb angle
that result
when limb
angle is
controlled by
an integral
control
system).
Except for the
brief “jerks”
that occur at
the points
where the step
disturbance
increases, the
control system
keeps the limb
angle right at
the reference
angle (0 in
this case)
protected from
the increasing
step
disturbances.
This
corresponds to
the behavior
you would
actually
observe in a
human. You
could see this
by by having
someone hold a
bag in their
hand at a
fixed angle
from their
body and then
drop one pound
weights one at
a time into
the bag. I
think you will
find that the
behavior of
the person’s
arm angle over
time will
looks a lot
more like the
yellow plot
(icv) than the
green one
(ep).

Since

then I have
actually
performed this
experiment. I
think it’s
worth doing it
yourself so
that you can
get a feel for
the difference
between
control and
equilibrium.

First,

start with the
EP Model
prediction of
the effect of
adding weight
to a limb
using Bruce’s
EP model
simulation.
Set the EP
model to run
continuously
with R=90 and
C=90 (you’ll
have to start
with R=60 and
then increase
R to 90 after
you set the
model to “Run
Continuously”
and then press
“Run Model” or
the model will
oscillate).
Note the
actual joint
angle (shown
in the Joint
Angle box) is
90 degrees.
Next add
weight 1 kg at
a time until
you reach the
max of 10
kg.The result
is that the
forearm sags
about 1+
degree from a
90 degree
angle at the
elbow each
time 1 kg (2.2
lbs) weights
is added,
ending at 101
degrees after
10 kg is added
– an 11
degree
increase in
elbow joint
angle. So the
prediction of
the EP model
at the highest
“gain” setting
(maximum C
value) is that
adding weight
to the hand
while you are
trying to
maintain a
particular
angle (like 90
degrees) at
the elbow will
result in the
angle
increasing
(forearm going
down) as the
weight
increases.

We

can test this
prediction by
having a
friend hold a
reasonably
strong bag in
their hand,
palm up, while
keeping their
elbow at a 90
degree angle
relative to
the body. It’s
nice to do
this in a
place where
the hand can
point directly
at a reference
point so that
you can get a
better idea of
how much the
hand position
has changed
when weight
(in the form
of books) is
added to the
bag. Now
(gently) drop
books into the
bag one at a
time and see
what happens
to the arm
position. I
found that
volumes of our
old World Book
Encyclopedia
work well; the
volumes are
all close to 2
lbs (~1kg).
Dropping the
books into the
bag one at a
time is
equivalent to
the step
increase in
weight
produced by
the EP program
when the
weight is
ticked up by 1
kg at a time.

I

think what you
will see is
behavior that
is nothing
like that of
the EP model.
What I
observed is
that each time
a book is
dropped into
the bag there
is a transient
increase in
the angle at
the elbow, so
that the hand
dips below the
reference
point to which
it is pointed,
but the
position of
the hand is
quickly
restored to
pointing at
the reference
point each
time a book is
added; the 90
degree
reference
angle at the
elbow is
quickly
restored after
each increase
in weight;
there is no
increase in
elbow joint
angle with
increasing
weight. I
could only fit
about 14 lbs
(6.5 kg)
worth of
books into my
bag but at the
end of the
process the
hand was still
pointing
exactly at the
reference
point. The EP
model says it
should have
sagged 7
degrees below
the reference
point.

But

these findings
were based on
the subject
having visual
control of
joint angle.
The EP Model
is controlling
blind, so to
speak. So the
proper way to
test this is
with the
subjects eye’s
closed. So
once the
subject has
the elbow
angle at 90
degrees and is
pointing at a
reference
position,have
him or her
close the eyes
and then start
adding books
and see what
happens. When
I did it with
myself as
subject I
found that I
was able to
maintain the
angle pretty
well; again
there was no
continuous
decrease in
the angle as
books were
dropped into
the bag, as
per the EP
model.

I

think this
little demo
will give you
at least a
qualitative
sense of how
different
control is
from EP
behavior.
With eyes
closed (the
best test of
the EP model)
the response
to a transient
disturbance (a
book dropping
into a bad) is
not a constant
increase in
elbow angle,
as per the EP
model; what
actually
happens is a
transient
lowering of
the hand
followed by an
immediate
raising of the
hand back to
(and sometimes
slightly past)
the reference
position (the
reference
elbow angle).
With
continuous
addition of
books (and
weight) to the
bag there is
not a
continuous
decrease in
the position
of the hand,
as predicted
by EP.

With

eyes closed
you are
controlling a
proprioceptive
perception of
elbow angle.
This is a
tougher
perception to
control than
the visual
perception of
where the hand
is pointing.
But the
proprioceptive
perception can
be controlled
pretty well,
though the
actual
position
pointed to
will vary a
bit more when
the eyes are
closed then
when they are
open. But even
with eyes
closed there
is not the the
continuous
increase in
joint angle
(decrease in
the pointing
position of
the hand)
predicted by
the EP Model.

A

more precise
and formal
version of
this “Bag of
Books” test,
if done by the
proponents of
the EP model
of limb
position
control, would
surely have
eliminated the
EP model from
contention as
a model of
limb position
control since
the EP model
doesn’t
control in
this situation
where people
clearly do.

It

would be nice
if some of you
actually did
this
experiment and
let us know
what you
find.

Best

regards

Rick

Richard
S. Marken PhD

[www.mindreadings.com](http://www.mindreadings.com)
                                                      The only thing

that will
redeem mankind
is
cooperation.

--

Bertrand
Russell

Richard S. Marken PhD

The only thing that will

redeem mankind is cooperation.

-- Bertrand Russellat

worst

sp;                                           
  -- Bertrand Russellat worst

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD

The only thing that will redeem mankind is

cooperation.

– Bertrand Russell

Hi Rick, believe me I am with you on this! We just need to sit down and explain what we mean a bit clearer. There won’t be any S-R in LCSIV for sure!

Warren

···

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but they were still feeling a part of the elephant and describing it. For example they can still describe the rough, long, trunk with holes at the end even though they don’t know it’s a trunk. We can use some if this information to understand the elephant, and we might have to if we can’t reach the trunk ourselves. It is hard to use such a filter but sometimes necessary…

RM: The “blind men” of psychology have, indeed, given very good, detailed descriptions and explanations of the parts of the “elephant” that they were feeling. There are hundreds of papers describing the factors that affect S-R relationships, that determine how consequences select behavior and that influence the way cognitive processing produces outputs. This is called conventional psychology and it has led to no progress in our understanding of the “elephant” of control, even though these phenomena are all manifestations of that phenomenon (as per my “Blind Men” paper). So far, none of the information obtained by the blind men of psychology has informed our understanding of the “elephant of control” in any way; indeed, it has only prevented the study of the whole elephant; that is, it has prevented psychology from putting on “control theory glasses” and starting the study behavior from a PCT perspective.

So if the “World According to PCT” book is going to be a collection of papers about what S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology tells us about PCT then it will not be a book that honors the legacy of Bill Powers, who spent his life trying to explain that research done from those perspectives is as misleading about the nature of behavior as is a blind man’s description of a part of an elephant. It would certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were about what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology. But the best would be chapters that are about what PCT tells us about the elephant itself; the behavior of living systems. And just forget about what the blind men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken rsmarken@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.15.1900)]

sp; – Bertrand Russellat worst

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russell

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and Rick, I think there is probably ‘value’ in most other studies and theories as they are studying the same elephant sometimes in ways we don’t have the time, inclination or technology to do,

RM: I take it you are alluding to my “Blind Men and the Elephant” paper reprinted in “More Mind Readings”. Remember, the guys studying the elephant were blind. So when asked to describe an elephant they described the feel of the part of the elephant that was near them – a snake, rope or wall – none of which is a correct description of an elephant. The elephant in the paper, of course, is control. So the point of the paper is that people who don’t know that behavior is control are going to approach the study of behavior are though it is S-R (behaviorist), selection by consequences (reinforcement theory) or commanded output (cognitive). The analogy to the “Blind Men and the Elephant” parable is meant to show that these different approaches to understanding behavior have as little value as do the blind men’s approaches to understanding an elephant.

RM: So I strongly disagree with the statement that “there is probably ‘value’ in most other studies and theories as they are studying the same elephant .” The “Blind Men” paper argues that if you can’t see the whole elephant – if you can’t see that behavior is control – then what you conclude about it is of little value and, possibly, of negative value because it can be quite misleading; behavior is not S-R or selection by consequences or commanded output. These are all ways of seeing control if you can only “see” it by feeling selected parts of it, as was the case for the blind men and the elephant – and as is the case for these “other studies and theories” that were not done in the context of an understanding that behavior is control.

W: but that needs to be seen ‘through control theory glasses’ to quote you Rick. This could even lead to the opposite conclusions to the original researchers, yet still be informative for a PCT model.

RM: Exactly! You have to see behavior through control theory glasses – see that behavior is a process of control, in fact, not in theory – before you have any chance of coming to correct conclusions about how it works. The EP people did not see behavior as control – indeed, they went out of their way to see it as commanded output. And thus they came up with a model that explains what they think they are seeing – commanded output – but doesn’t explain what is actually happening – control.

RM: I think this point – that behavioral research of any kind that is done without an understanding that behavior is control is useless at best and misleading at worst – has to be made forcefully if we are to honor Bill’s vision for this book. For, as Bill said in the proposal for the book:

WTP: This is going to be a revolution whether we like
it or not. There are going to be arguments, screaming and yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to sink or swim.

RM: I think it’s time to stop playing Mr. Nice Guy with theorists who subjected Bill’s ideas to the “massive” (and often insulting) resistance to which Bill alludes in the book proposal. And I think you will agree, when you read that proposal again – especially the last few paragraphs – that Bill was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Feb 2014, at 02:54, Richard Marken rsmarken@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.14.1900)]

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russellat worst

Bruce Abbott (2014.02.13.1520 EST)–

BA: Nice, Rick. I had been thinking about doing this experiment myself but using a paper scale pasted to a wall and capturing the dynamics on video using my digital camera.

The video can be imported to, say, Microsoft’s Movie Maker program, and examined frame by frame to get position as a function of time and from that, velocity and acceleration.

RM: I would love to see that. You should do it. I was trying to keep mine very low tech; something you could do while visiting your granddaughter in Seattle;-)

BA: This experiment differs from the one used to determine the parameters of the EP model: the participant is consciously trying to maintain a constant joint angle. The EP model is supposed to model what happens under a change of load when the muscle lambdas are not voluntarily altered.

RM: This is a pretty incoherent experiment. What does it mean that the EP model is supposed to model what happens when the muscle lambdas are “not voluntarily altered”. What is voluntarily? What does consciousness have to do with it?

I thought the EP model was a model of how people move their limbs (it looks that way in the simulation; varying R results in nice smooth variations in elbow angle). Now you seem to be saying that it’s a model of some other kind of behavior; one that I don’t understand. It’s apparently the behavior of a person who can command different limb angles but isn’t controlling the limb at the commanded angle. In other words, it seems that you are saying that the EP model is a model of commanded output behavior. Since we know that the behavior of humans is not commanded output but controlled perceptual input, the EP model is apparently a model of the behavior of non-living systems. So EP is neither a competitor nor an alternative to PCT.So why are we even talking about it?

BA: As I noted in my previous post, conscious control of joint angle might work by adjusting the lambdas so as to compensate for load changes. That, of course, requires a level of control not present in the EP model simulated in my demo.

RM: What is “conscious control”? Control and consciousness are two different things, as you must know. Control occurs whether one is conscious or unconscious of it occurring. Are you saying that EP is a model of “unconscious control”? If so, it’s back to being a competitor of PCT because control is control, whether you are conscious of it or not.

BA: Have you tried not attempting to maintain a constant joint angle, but just letting the forearm sag as it will in response to the added load?

RM: I don’t even know what that means? My first guess is to just not control the angle at my elbow at all. The result would be my arm dangling at my side. Adding weight would just feel heavier in my hand. But I really don’t know how to stop controlling. I’m still controlling limb angle even when I just let my arm dangle as could be determined if someone tried to bend my forearm back past vertical while holding my upper arm stationary. I would resist that disturbance big time.

BA: As Martin Taylor has noted, the correct model will be the one that embodies, at some level of abstraction, the actual physiological mechanisms (while also accounting for joint dynamics).

RM: No, the correct model will be one that behaves like a person does (ie. controls limb angle) while not violating what we know about the physiology and physics of the situation. Judging the model by its fidelity to the physiology is, I think, like trying to fit it into a Procrustean bed. For several reasons. First, the physiology is itself a theory based on observations that are themselves guided by how we think the physiology works. So the “true” physiology today is likely to be considered “not quite right” tomorrow.

Second, it’s possible to build models that are consistent with our current understanding of the physiology and are dead wrong. After all, the behavioral model that is the basis of all research in psychology – the general linear model of behavior – is comfortably consistent with the most basic observations of neurophysiology, which is that there are afferent neurons that carry sensory data into the the central nervous system and efferent neurons that carry data from the central nervous system to the muscles and glands that produce behavior.So our most basic understanding of the neurophysiology of the nervous system is completely consistent with a model of behavior – the GLM – that we know to be wrong.

Finally, making consistency with the physiology being a criterion for a successful model is related to the idea that the behavior of organisms must obey the laws of matter, as discussed by Powers on pp. 16-18 of LCS III. Psychologists now seem to treat neurophysiology as the new “laws of matter” and use consistency with the neurophysiology as the measure of the correctness of a theory of behavior in the same way that they used to use the laws of physics for this purpose. But as Bill points out in that section of LCS III, it’s not just that the laws of matter (including neurophysiology) that govern behavior; it’s the organization of that matter that also matters. And the main organizational aspect of matter (and neurophysiology) that is ignored, even by models, like EP that get the neurophysiology right (in terms of what we now understand to be “right”), is the fact that the nervous system exists in a closed feedback loop that goes through the environment; the inputs to the nervous system (in a living system) are always a result of both independent events in the system’s environment (disturbances) and the muscular/glandular outputs of the nervous system itself. The EP model clearly doesn’t take this organizational fact into account – “clearly” because it doesn’t control.

Your lovely simulation of the EP model demonstrates this fact beautifully. It is not a control model. Therefore, it is not a model of human behavior. Period. Why you keep trying to find something of value in this model is beyond me. Your simulation of their model clearly demonstrates two very important facts about the EP model: 1) it doesn’t control and 2) it’s behavior looks like the behavior of a living system (in the sense that variations in R result in nice realistic variations in the angle at the elbow) until you apply disturbances and see that it is not controlling; it’s just generating output. So the model shows that behavior can look like commanded output rather than control; you can’t tell that control is actually going on until you test by applying disturbances to the presumed controiations in R result in nice realistic variations in the angle at the elbow) until you apply disturbances and see that it is not controlling; it’s just generating output. So the model shows that behavior can look like commanded output rather than control; you can’t tell that control is actually going on until you test by applying disturbances to the presumed controlled variable.

This is such a dynamite finding; and it’s thanks to your modeling effort. I hope that the paper you write based on this work will make these points clearly and forcefully. For the sake of PCT and Bill Powers’ legacy.

Best

Rick

I could easily design a robotic servo system to maintain a joint angle against disturbances, but I can pretty much guarantee that there are no electric servomotors actuating our joints.

Bruce

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:29 PM
Subject: A Bag of Books (was EP Model – Delphi version, revised – again!)

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of this thread is a play on Powers’ paper “A Bucket of Beans” (reprinted in LCS II) in which he uses a bucket on a rubber band (what else?) to demonstrate some properties of control. In this thread I describe a little experiment that demonstrates characteristics of limb position control using a bag of books. Keeping up the low tech experimentation tradition;-)

Earlier I had posted this observation about the behavior of the EP model:

RM: The fact that the EP model is not a control model is even more evident when one compares the behavior of the EP model to that of a control model that better represents what actually happens when increasing step disturbances of weight are applied to a limb. This is shown by the yellow line (labelled icv to indicate that these are the variations in limb angle that result when limb angle is controlled by an integral control system). Except for the brief “jerks” that occur at the points where the step disturbance increases, the control system keeps the limb angle right at the reference angle (0 in this case) protected from the increasing step disturbances. This corresponds to the behavior you would actually observe in a human. You could see this by by having someone hold a bag in their hand at a fixed angle from their body and then drop one pound weights one at a time into the bag. I think you will find that the behavior of the person’s arm angle over time will looks a lot more like the yellow plot (icv) than the green one (ep).

Since then I have actually performed this experiment. I think it’s worth doing it yourself so that you can get a feel for the difference between control and equilibrium.

First, start with the EP Model prediction of the effect of adding weight to a limb using Bruce’s EP model simulation. Set the EP model to run continuously with R=90 and C=90 (you’ll have to start with R=60 and then increase R to 90 after you set the model to “Run Continuously” and then press “Run Model” or the model will oscillate). Note the actual joint angle (shown in the Joint Angle box) is 90 degrees. Next add weight 1 kg at a time until you reach the max of 10 kg.The result is that the forearm sags about 1+ degree from a 90 degree angle at the elbow each time 1 kg (2.2 lbs) weights is added, ending at 101 degrees after 10 kg is added – an 11 degree increase in elbow joint angle. So the prediction of the EP model at the highest “gain” setting (maximum C value) is that adding weight to the hand while you are trying to maintain a particular angle (like 90 degrees) at the elbow will result in the angle increasing (forearm going down) as the weight increases.

We can test this prediction by having a friend hold a reasonably strong bag in their hand, palm up, while keeping their elbow at a 90 degree angle relative to the body. It’s nice to do this in a place where the hand can point directly at a reference point so that you can get a better idea of how much the hand position has changed when weight (in the form of books) is added to the bag. Now (gently) drop books into the bag one at a time and see what happens to the arm position. I found that volumes of our old World Book Encyclopedia work well; the volumes are all close to 2 lbs (~1kg). Dropping the books into the bag one at a time is equivalent to the step increase in weight produced by the EP program when the weight is ticked up by 1 kg at a time.

I think what you will see is behavior that is nothing like that of the EP model. What I observed is that each time a book is dropped into the bag there is a transient increase in the angle at the elbow, so that the hand dips below the reference point to which it is pointed, but the position of the hand is quickly restored to pointing at the reference point each time a book is added; the 90 degree reference angle at the elbow is quickly restored after each increase in weight; there is no increase in elbow joint angle with increasing weight. I could only fit about 14 lbs (6.5 kg) worth of books into my bag but at the end of the process the hand was still pointing exactly at the reference point. The EP model says it should have sagged 7 degrees below the reference point.

But these findings were based on the subject having visual control of joint angle. The EP Model is controlling blind, so to speak. So the proper way to test this is with the subjects eye’s closed. So once the subject has the elbow angle at 90 degrees and is pointing at a reference position,have him or her close the eyes and then start adding books and see what happens. When I did it with myself as subject I found that I was able to maintain the angle pretty well; again there was no continuous decrease in the angle as books were dropped into the bag, as per the EP model.

I think this little demo will give you at least a qualitative sense of how different control is from EP behavior. With eyes closed (the best test of the EP model) the response to a transient disturbance (a book dropping into a bad) is not a constant increase in elbow angle, as per the EP model; what actually happens is a transient lowering of the hand followed by an immediate raising of the hand back to (and sometimes slightly past) the reference position (the reference elbow angle). With continuous addition of books (and weight) to the bag there is not a continuous decrease in the position of the hand, as predicted by EP.

With eyes closed you are controlling a proprioceptive perception of elbow angle. This is a tougher perception to control than the visual perception of where the hand is pointing. But the proprioceptive perception can be controlled pretty well, though the actual position pointed to will vary a bit more when the eyes are closed then when they are open. But even with eyes closed there is not the the continuous increase in joint angle (decrease in the pointing position of the hand) predicted by the EP Model.

A more precise and formal version of this “Bag of Books” test, if done by the proponents of the EP model of limb position control, would surely have eliminated the EP model from contention as a model of limb position control since the EP model doesn’t control in this situation where people clearly do.

It would be nice if some of you actually did this experiment and let us know what you find.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russell

Warren,

You say "There won't be any S-R in LCSIV for sure!". That's

appropriate when you are talking about observable behaviour, but you
have to be clear that Rick sees the S-R bogeyman hiding under every
bed and behind every door.

Remember that EVERY component of a control loop is an S-R process,

something that really seems to annoy Rick. He refused to believe it
when Bill tried to explain it to him, and he refuses to accept it
whenever I use that fact in an analysis. Since in his view, the ONLY
proper PCT research is to test for THE controlled variable, there
isn’t much prospect for developing PCT beyond the state where Bill
left it if we accept that there is no place for S-R processes in
PCT, and there’s no prospect for understanding what is inside an
organism if we deny the existence of S-R processes as parts of
control loops.

If there won't be any S-R in LCS IV, there won't be much of anything

in my chapter, since I do try to speculate as to what goes on in the
head and why and how some perceptions might be being controlled. S-R
processes are the sine qua non of control, and indeed of any
physical system. If you deny their existence all you have is fairy
tales.

End rant.

Martin
···

On 2014/02/17 10:11 AM, Warren Mansell
wrote:

Hi Rick, believe me I am with you on this! We just need to

sit down and explain what we mean a bit clearer. There won’t be
any S-R in LCSIV for sure!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
    On 16 Feb 2014, at 20:47, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM        >

wrote:

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM,

Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but they

were still feeling a part of the elephant and
describing it. For example they can still describe
the rough, long, trunk with holes at the end even
though they don’t know it’s a trunk. We can use
some if this information to understand the
elephant, and we might have to if we can’t reach
the trunk ourselves. It is hard to use such a
filter but sometimes necessary…

RM: The "blind men" of psychology have, indeed,

given very good, detailed descriptions and
explanations of the parts of the “elephant” that they
were feeling. There are hundreds of papers describing
the factors that affect S-R relationships, that
determine how consequences select behavior and that
influence the way cognitive processing produces
outputs. This is called conventional psychology and it
has led to no progress in our understanding of the
“elephant” of control, even though these phenomena are
all manifestations of that phenomenon (as per my
“Blind Men” paper). So far, none of the information
obtained by the blind men of psychology has informed
our understanding of the “elephant of control” in any
way; indeed, it has only prevented the study of the
whole elephant; that is, it has prevented psychology
from putting on “control theory glasses” and starting
the study behavior from a PCT perspective.

So if the "World According to PCT" book is going to

be a collection of papers about what S-R,
reinforcement and cognitive psychology tells us about
PCT then it will not be a book that honors the legacy
of Bill Powers, who spent his life trying to explain
that research done from those perspectives is as
misleading about the nature of behavior as is a blind
man’s description of a part of an elephant. It would
certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were about
what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement and
cognitive psychology. But the best would be chapters
that are about what PCT tells us about the elephant
itself; the behavior of living systems. And just
forget about what the blind men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
                      On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM                          >

wrote:

[From Rick Marken

(2014.02.15.1900)]

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014

at 8:21 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and Rick, I

think there is probably
‘value’ in most other studies
and theories as they are
studying the same elephant
sometimes in ways we don’t
have the time, inclination or
technology to do,

RM: I take it you are alluding

to my “Blind Men and the Elephant”
paper reprinted in “More Mind
Readings”. Remember, the guys
studying the elephant were
blind. So when asked to describe
an elephant they described the
feel of the part of the elephant
that was near them – a snake,
rope or wall – none of which is
a correct description of an
elephant. The elephant in the
paper, of course, is control. So
the point of the paper is that
people who don’t know that
behavior is control are going to
approach the study of behavior are
though it is S-R (behaviorist),
selection by consequences
commanded output (cognitive). The
analogy to the “Blind Men and the
Elephant” parable is meant to show
that these different approaches to
understanding behavior have as
little value as do the blind
men’s approaches to understanding
an elephant.

RM: So I strongly disagree with

the statement that “there is
probably ‘value’ in most other
studies and theories as they are
studying the same elephant .” The
“Blind Men” paper argues that if
you can’t see the whole elephant
– if you can’t see that behavior
is control – then what you
conclude about it is of little
value and, possibly, of negative
value because it can be quite
misleading; behavior is not S-R or
selection by consequences or
commanded output. These are all
ways of seeing control if you can
only “see” it by feeling selected
parts of it, as was the case for
the blind men and the elephant –
and as is the case for these
“other studies and theories” that
were not done in the context of an
control.

W: but that needs to be

seen ‘through control theory
glasses’ to quote you Rick.
This could even lead to the
opposite conclusions to the
original researchers, yet
still be informative for a PCT
model.

RM: Exactly! You have to see

behavior through control theory
glasses – see that behavior is
a process of control, in fact, not
in theory – before you have any
chance of coming to correct
conclusions about how it works.
The EP people did not see behavior
as control – indeed, they went
out of their way to see it as
commanded output. And thus they
came up with a model that explains
what they think they are seeing –
commanded output – but doesn’t
explain what is actually happening
– control.

RM: I think this point -- that

behavioral research of any kind
that is done without an
control is useless at best and
misleading at worst – has to be
made forcefully if we are to honor
Bill’s vision for this book. For,
as Bill said in the proposal for
the book:

revolution whether we like
it or not. There are going to
be arguments, screaming and
yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to sink or
swim.

RM: I think it's time to

stop playing Mr. Nice Guy with
theorists who subjected Bill’s
ideas to the “massive” (and
often insulting) resistance to
which Bill alludes in the book
proposal. And I think you will
agree, when you read that
proposal again – especially the
last few paragraphs – that Bill
was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
                                          On 15 Feb 2014, at 02:54,

Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM >
wrote:

[From Rick

Marken (2014.02.14.1900)]

Bruce Abbott

(2014.02.13.1520
EST)–

Rick. I had
been thinking
about doing
this
experiment
myself but
using a paper
scale pasted
to a wall and
capturing the
dynamics on
video using my
digital
camera.

The video
can be
imported to,
say,
Microsoft’s
Movie Maker
program, and
examined frame
by frame to
get position
as a function
of time and
from that,
velocity and
acceleration.

RM:  I would

love to see
that. You should
do it. I was
trying to keep
mine very low
tech; something
you could do
while visiting
your
granddaughter in
Seattle;-)

experiment
differs from
the one used
to determine
the parameters
of the EP
participant is
consciously
trying to
maintain a
constant joint
angle. The EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens under
a change of
load when the
muscle lambdas
are not
voluntarily
altered.

RM: This is a

pretty
incoherent
experiment. What
does it mean
that the EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens when the
muscle lambdas
are “not
voluntarily
altered”. What
is voluntarily?
What does
consciousness
have to do with
it?

I thought the

EP model was a
model of how
people move
their limbs (it
looks that way
in the
simulation;
varying R
results in nice
smooth
variations in
elbow angle).
Now you seem to
be saying that
it’s a model of
some other kind
of behavior; one
that I don’t
understand. It’s
apparently the
behavior of a
person who can
command
different limb
angles but isn’t
controlling the
limb at the
commanded angle.
In other words,
it seems that
you are saying
that the EP
model is a model
of commanded
output behavior.
Since we know
that the
behavior of
humans is not
commanded output
but controlled
perceptual
input, the EP
model is
apparently a
model of the
behavior of
non-living
systems. So EP
is neither a
competitor nor
an alternative
to PCT.So why
are we even
talking about
it?

noted in my
previous post,
conscious
control of
joint angle
might work by
adjusting the
lambdas so as
to compensate
for load
changes.
That, of
course,
requires a
level of
control not
present in the
EP model
simulated in
my demo.

RM: What is

“conscious
control”?
Control and
consciousness
are two
different
things, as you
must know.
Control occurs
whether one is
conscious or
unconscious of
it occurring.
Are you saying
that EP is a
model of
“unconscious
control”? If so,
it’s back to
being a
competitor of
PCT because
control is
control, whether
you are
conscious of it
or not.

tried not attempting
to maintain a
constant joint
angle, but
just letting
the forearm
sag as it will
in response to
the added
load?

RM: I don't

even know what
that means? My
first guess is
to just not
control the
angle at my
elbow at all.
The result would
be my arm
dangling at my
side. Adding
weight would
just feel
heavier in my
hand. But I
really don’t
know how to stop
controlling. I’m
still
controlling limb
angle even when
I just let my
arm dangle as
could be
determined if
someone tried to
bend my forearm
back past
vertical while
holding my upper
arm stationary.
I would resist
that disturbance
big time.

Taylor has
noted, the
correct model
will be the
one that
embodies, at
some level of
abstraction,
the actual
physiological
mechanisms
(while also
accounting for
joint
dynamics).

RM: No, the

correct model
will be one that
behaves like a
person does (ie.
controls limb
angle) while not
violating what
we know about
the physiology
and physics of
the situation.
Judging the
model by its
fidelity to the
physiology is, I
think, like
trying to fit it
into a
Procrustean bed.
For several
reasons. First,
the physiology
is itself a
theory based on
observations
that are
themselves
guided by how we
think the
physiology
works. So the
“true”
physiology today
is likely to be
considered “not
quite right”
tomorrow.

Second, it's

possible to
build models
that are
consistent with
our current
understanding of
the physiology
and are dead
wrong. After
all, the
behavioral model
that is the
basis of all
research in
psychology –
the general
linear model of
behavior – is
comfortably
consistent with
the most basic
observations of
neurophysiology,
which is that
there are
afferent neurons
that carry
sensory data
into the the
central nervous
system and
efferent neurons
that carry data
from the central
nervous system
to the muscles
and glands that
produce
behavior.So our
most basic
understanding of
the
neurophysiology
of the nervous
system is
completely
consistent with
a model of
behavior – the
GLM – that we
know to be
wrong.

Finally,

making
consistency with
the physiology
being a
criterion for a
successful model
is related to
the idea that
the behavior of
organisms must
obey the laws of
matter, as
discussed by
Powers on pp.
16-18 of LCS
III.
Psychologists
now seem to
treat
neurophysiology
as the new “laws
of matter” and
use consistency
with the
neurophysiology
as the measure
of the
correctness of a
theory of
behavior in the
same way that
they used to use
the laws of
physics for this
purpose. But as
Bill points out
in that section
of LCS III, it’s
not just that
the laws of
matter
(including
neurophysiology)
that govern
behavior; it’s
the
organization of
that matter that
also matters.
And the main
organizational
aspect of matter
(and
neurophysiology)
that is ignored,
even by models,
like EP that get
the
neurophysiology
right (in terms
of what we now
understand to be
“right”), is the
fact that the
nervous system
exists in a
closed feedback
loop that goes
through the
environment; the
inputs to the
nervous system
(in a living
system) are
always a result
of both
independent
events in the
system’s
environment
(disturbances)
and the
muscular/glandular
outputs of the
nervous system
itself. The EP
model clearly
doesn’t take
this
organizational
fact into
account –
“clearly”
because it
doesn’t
control.

Your lovely

simulation of the EP
model demonstrates
this fact
beautifully. It is
not a control model.
Therefore, it is not
a model of human
behavior. Period.
Why you keep trying
to find something of
value in this model
is beyond me. Your
simulation of their
model clearly
demonstrates two
very important facts
about the EP model:

1. it doesn’t
    control and 2) it’s
    behavior looks like
    the behavior of a
    living system (in
    the sense that
    variations in R
    result in nice
    realistic variations
    in the angle at the
    elbow) until you
    apply disturbances
    and see that it is
    not controlling;
    it’s just generating
    output. So the model
    shows that behavior
    can look like
    commanded output
    rather than control;
    you can’t tell that
    control is actually
    going on until you
    test by applying
    disturbances to the
    presumed
    controiations in R
    result in nice
    realistic variations
    in the angle at the
    elbow) until you
    apply disturbances
    and see that it is
    not controlling;
    it’s just generating
    output. So the model
    shows that behavior
    can look like
    commanded output
    rather than control;
    you can’t tell that
    control is actually
    going on until you
    test by applying
    disturbances to the
    presumed controlled
    variable.
                                                    This is such

a dynamite
finding; and
it’s thanks to
your modeling
effort. I hope
that the paper
you write based
on this work
will make these
points clearly
and forcefully.
For the sake of
PCT and Bill
Powers’ legacy.

Best

Rick

I could
easily design
a robotic
servo system
to maintain a
joint angle
against
disturbances,
but I can
pretty much
guarantee that
there are no
electric
servomotors
actuating our
joints.

Bruce

Group Network
(CSGnet)
** On Behalf
Of** Richard
Marken
Sent:
Thursday,
February 13,
Subject:
A Bag of Books
(was EP Model
– Delphi
version,
revised –
again!)

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of

this thread is
a play on
Powers’ paper
“A Bucket of
Beans”
(reprinted in
LCS II) in
which he uses
a bucket on a
rubber
band (what
else?) to
demonstrate
some
properties of
control. In
this thread I
describe a
little
experiment
that
demonstrates
characteristics
of limb
position
control using
a bag of
books. Keeping
up the low
tech
experimentation
tradition;-)

Earlier

I had posted
this
observation
about the
behavior of
the EP model:

RM:

The fact that
the EP model
is not a
control model
is even more
evident when
one compares
the behavior
of the EP
model to that
of a control
model that
better
represents
what actually
happens when
increasing
step
disturbances
of weight are
applied to a
limb. This is
shown by the
yellow line
(labelled icv
to indicate
that these are
the variations
in limb angle
that result
when limb
angle is
controlled by
an integral
control
system).
Except for the
brief “jerks”
that occur at
the points
where the step
disturbance
increases, the
control system
keeps the limb
angle right at
the reference
angle (0 in
this case)
protected from
the increasing
step
disturbances.
This
corresponds to
the behavior
you would
actually
observe in a
human. You
could see this
by by having
someone hold a
bag in their
hand at a
fixed angle
from their
body and then
drop one pound
weights one at
a time into
the bag. I
think you will
find that the
behavior of
the person’s
arm angle over
time will
looks a lot
more like the
yellow plot
(icv) than the
green one
(ep).

Since

then I have
actually
performed this
experiment. I
think it’s
worth doing it
yourself so
that you can
get a feel for
the difference
between
control and
equilibrium.

First,

start with the
EP Model
prediction of
the effect of
adding weight
to a limb
using Bruce’s
EP model
simulation.
Set the EP
model to run
continuously
with R=90 and
C=90 (you’ll
have to start
with R=60 and
then increase
R to 90 after
you set the
model to “Run
Continuously”
and then press
“Run Model” or
the model will
oscillate).
Note the
actual joint
angle (shown
in the Joint
Angle box) is
90 degrees.
Next add
weight 1 kg at
a time until
you reach the
max of 10
kg.The result
is that the
forearm sags
about 1+
degree from a
90 degree
angle at the
elbow each
time 1 kg (2.2
lbs) weights
is added,
ending at 101
degrees after
10 kg is added
– an 11
degree
increase in
elbow joint
angle. So the
prediction of
the EP model
at the highest
“gain” setting
(maximum C
value) is that
adding weight
to the hand
while you are
trying to
maintain a
particular
angle (like 90
degrees) at
the elbow will
result in the
angle
increasing
(forearm going
down) as the
weight
increases.

We

can test this
prediction by
having a
friend hold a
reasonably
strong bag in
their hand,
palm up, while
keeping their
elbow at a 90
degree angle
relative to
the body. It’s
nice to do
this in a
place where
the hand can
point directly
at a reference
point so that
you can get a
better idea of
how much the
hand position
has changed
when weight
(in the form
of books) is
added to the
bag. Now
(gently) drop
books into the
bag one at a
time and see
what happens
to the arm
position. I
found that
volumes of our
old World Book
Encyclopedia
work well; the
volumes are
all close to 2
lbs (~1kg).
Dropping the
books into the
bag one at a
time is
equivalent to
the step
increase in
weight
produced by
the EP program
when the
weight is
ticked up by 1
kg at a time.

I

think what you
will see is
behavior that
is nothing
like that of
the EP model.
What I
observed is
that each time
a book is
dropped into
the bag there
is a transient
increase in
the angle at
the elbow, so
that the hand
dips below the
reference
point to which
it is pointed,
but the
position of
the hand is
quickly
restored to
pointing at
the reference
point each
time a book is
added; the 90
degree
reference
angle at the
elbow is
quickly
restored after
each increase
in weight;
there is no
increase in
elbow joint
angle with
increasing
weight. I
could only fit
about 14 lbs
(6.5 kg)
worth of
books into my
bag but at the
end of the
process the
hand was still
pointing
exactly at the
reference
point. The EP
model says it
should have
sagged 7
degrees below
the reference
point.

But

these findings
were based on
the subject
having visual
control of
joint angle.
The EP Model
is controlling
blind, so to
speak. So the
proper way to
test this is
with the
subjects eye’s
closed. So
once the
subject has
the elbow
angle at 90
degrees and is
pointing at a
reference
position,have
him or her
close the eyes
and then start
adding books
and see what
happens. When
I did it with
myself as
subject I
found that I
was able to
maintain the
angle pretty
well; again
there was no
continuous
decrease in
the angle as
books were
dropped into
the bag, as
per the EP
model.

I

think this
little demo
will give you
at least a
qualitative
sense of how
different
control is
from EP
behavior.
With eyes
closed (the
best test of
the EP model)
the response
to a transient
disturbance (a
book dropping
into a bad) is
not a constant
increase in
elbow angle,
as per the EP
model; what
actually
happens is a
transient
lowering of
the hand
followed by an
immediate
raising of the
hand back to
(and sometimes
slightly past)
the reference
position (the
reference
elbow angle).
With
continuous
addition of
books (and
weight) to the
bag there is
not a
continuous
decrease in
the position
of the hand,
as predicted
by EP.

With

eyes closed
you are
controlling a
proprioceptive
perception of
elbow angle.
This is a
tougher
perception to
control than
the visual
perception of
where the hand
is pointing.
But the
proprioceptive
perception can
be controlled
pretty well,
though the
actual
position
pointed to
will vary a
bit more when
the eyes are
closed then
when they are
open. But even
with eyes
closed there
is not the the
continuous
increase in
joint angle
(decrease in
the pointing
position of
the hand)
predicted by
the EP Model.

A

more precise
and formal
version of
this “Bag of
Books” test,
if done by the
proponents of
the EP model
of limb
position
control, would
surely have
eliminated the
EP model from
contention as
a model of
limb position
control since
the EP model
doesn’t
control in
this situation
where people
clearly do.

It

would be nice
if some of you
actually did
this
experiment and
let us know
what you
find.

Best

regards

Rick

Richard
S. Marken PhD

The only thing

that will
redeem mankind
is
cooperation.

--

Bertrand
Russell

Richard S. Marken PhD

The only thing that will

redeem mankind is cooperation.

-- Bertrand Russellat

worst

sp;                                           

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD

cooperation.

– Bertrand Russell

Warren,

I am sorry this is on CSGnet. I had thought you sent your message to

the LCS IV Authors and just hit “reply” intending it for your eyes
only.

Yes, I agree totally with your A-B distinction. But the recent

thread on the Equilibrium model is just the latest of many examples
that illustrate that Rick doesn’t see it this way. Because the
modelled output structure does not itself control, it therefore
cannot be a component of a control loop that controls arm position,
according to Rick.

As for staying out of debates, I don't think that's a good idea.

Giving yourself a reference for seeing yourself to be sitting on the
fence isn’t a good idea either, in my view. If you are on the fence
because you see a third way of looking at an issue, that may very
usefully confuse the issue. The resolution of confusion is unlikely
to be the original state!

In a long ago experiment on military planning, we had a bunch of

senior officers plan an attack scenario, commenting on what they
were thinking as they did it. To confuse them, we had a “Stupid
Staff Officer” (actually an Army major who was part of our research
group) ask them “Why do you think that” or “What is this for” and
the like, from time to time. The idea was to see whether this kind
of naive interference would result in more coherent plans. I forget
the result, but we had intended to implement our “SSO” in software
under the name Ludwig (following Eliza the software
psychotherapist, who acted similarly). Having someone question what
seems obvious has the potential to make one actually think.

Or maybe it doesn't -- but I like to be questioned on my assumptions

because it helps me to clarify my ideas, and perhaps alter my
assumptions.

Martin
···

On 2014/02/17 3:11 PM, Warren Mansell
wrote:

Hi Martin, isn't there a difference between (A) modelling a

linear chain of processes as part of a closed loop (and the
hierarchy of those loops) and (B) assuming there is a direct
connection between a stimulus in the environment and observable
‘behaviour’ (which varies in in how non-PCT approaches even
measure) that is independent of the reference values of the
organism?

I am saying it is likely there will be A in LCS-IV but not B,

except to usefully critique B, to give us new insights. I had
consider the R in S-R as observable behaviour.

I may just stay clear of these debates as being on the fence

seems to have the potential to confuse and upset both sides!
Maybe that is a good thing! The proof will be in the pudding as
they say!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
    On 17 Feb 2014, at 19:52, Martin Taylor <mmt-csg@MMTAYLOR.NET        >

wrote:

Warren,

appropriate when you are talking about observable behaviour,
but you have to be clear that Rick sees the S-R bogeyman
hiding under every bed and behind every door.

Remember that EVERY component of a control loop is an S-R

process, something that really seems to annoy Rick. He refused
to believe it when Bill tried to explain it to him, and he
refuses to accept it whenever I use that fact in an analysis.
Since in his view, the ONLY proper PCT research is to test for
THE controlled variable, there isn’t much prospect for
developing PCT beyond the state where Bill left it if we
accept that there is no place for S-R processes in PCT, and
there’s no prospect for understanding what is inside an
control loops.

If there won't be any S-R in LCS IV, there won't be much of

anything in my chapter, since I do try to speculate as to what
goes on in the head and why and how some perceptions might be
being controlled. S-R processes are the sine qua non of
control, and indeed of any physical system. If you deny their
existence all you have is fairy tales.

End rant.

Martin
        On 2014/02/17 10:11 AM, Warren

Mansell wrote:

Hi Rick, believe me I am with you on this! We just need

to sit down and explain what we mean a bit clearer. There
won’t be any S-R in LCSIV for sure!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
          On 16 Feb 2014, at 20:47, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
          >

wrote:

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at

1:22 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but

they were still feeling a part of the
elephant and describing it. For example they
can still describe the rough, long, trunk
with holes at the end even though they don’t
know it’s a trunk. We can use some if this
information to understand the elephant, and
we might have to if we can’t reach the trunk
ourselves. It is hard to use such a filter
but sometimes necessary…

RM: The "blind men" of psychology have,

indeed, given very good, detailed descriptions
and explanations of the parts of the “elephant”
that they were feeling. There are hundreds of
papers describing the factors that affect S-R
relationships, that determine how consequences
select behavior and that influence the way
cognitive processing produces outputs. This is
called conventional psychology and it has led to
no progress in our understanding of the
“elephant” of control, even though these
phenomena are all manifestations of that
phenomenon (as per my “Blind Men” paper). So
far, none of the information obtained by the
blind men of psychology has informed our
understanding of the “elephant of control” in
any way; indeed, it has only prevented the study
of the whole elephant; that is, it has
prevented psychology from putting on “control
theory glasses” and starting the study behavior
from a PCT perspective.

So if the "World According to PCT" book is

going to be a collection of papers about what
S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology
tells us about PCT then it will not be a book
that honors the legacy of Bill Powers, who spent
his life trying to explain that research done
from those perspectives is as misleading about
the nature of behavior as is a blind man’s
description of a part of an elephant. It would
certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were
about what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement
and cognitive psychology. But the best would be
chapters that are about what PCT tells us about
the elephant itself; the behavior of living
systems. And just forget about what the blind
men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
                            On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken

<rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
>
wrote:

[From Rick Marken

(2014.02.15.1900)]

On Fri, Feb 14,

2014 at 8:21 PM, Warren
Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and

Rick, I think there is
probably ‘value’ in most
other studies and
theories as they are
studying the same
elephant sometimes in
ways we don’t have the
time, inclination or
technology to do,

RM: I take it you are

alluding to my “Blind Men
and the Elephant” paper
reprinted in “More Mind
Readings”. Remember, the
guys studying the elephant
were blind. So when asked
to describe an elephant they
described the feel of the
part of the elephant that
was near them – a snake,
rope or wall – none of
which is a correct
description of an elephant.
The elephant in the paper,
of course, is control. So
the point of the paper is
that people who don’t know
that behavior is control are
going to approach the study
of behavior are though it is
S-R (behaviorist), selection
by consequences
commanded output
(cognitive). The analogy to
the “Blind Men and the
Elephant” parable is meant
to show that these different
approaches to understanding
behavior have as little
value as do the blind
men’s approaches to
understanding an elephant.

RM: So I strongly

disagree with the statement
that “there is probably
‘value’ in most other
studies and theories as they
are studying the same
elephant .” The “Blind Men”
paper argues that if you
can’t see the whole elephant
– if you can’t see that
behavior is control – then
what you conclude about it
is of little value and,
possibly, of negative value
because it can be quite
misleading; behavior is not
S-R or selection by
consequences or commanded
output. These are all ways
of seeing control if you can
only “see” it by feeling
selected parts of it, as was
the case for the blind men
and the elephant – and as
is the case for these “other
studies and theories” that
were not done in the context
of an understanding that
behavior is control.

W: but that needs to

be seen ‘through control
theory glasses’ to quote
you Rick. This could
even lead to the
opposite conclusions to
the original
researchers, yet still
be informative for a PCT
model.

RM: Exactly! You have to

see behavior through control
theory glasses – see that
behavior is a process of
control, in fact, not in
theory – before you have
any chance of coming to
correct conclusions about
how it works. The EP people
did not see behavior as
control – indeed, they went
out of their way to see it
as commanded output. And
thus they came up with a
model that explains what
they think they are seeing
– commanded output – but
doesn’t explain what is
actually happening –
control.

RM: I think this point --

that behavioral research of
any kind that is done
without an understanding
that behavior is control is
useless at best and
misleading at worst – has
to be made forcefully if we
are to honor Bill’s vision
for this book. For, as Bill
said in the proposal for the
book:

revolution whether we
like it or not. There
are going to be
arguments, screaming and
yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to
sink or swim.

RM: I think it's time

to stop playing Mr. Nice
Guy with theorists who
subjected Bill’s ideas to
the “massive” (and often
insulting) resistance to
which Bill alludes in the
book proposal. And I think
you will agree, when you
read that proposal again
– especially the last few
paragraphs – that Bill
was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
                                                On 15 Feb 2014, at

02:54, Richard
Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
>
wrote:

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.14.1900)]

Bruce Abbott

(2014.02.13.1520
EST)–

Rick. I had
been thinking
about doing
this
experiment
myself but
using a paper
scale pasted
to a wall and
capturing the
dynamics on
video using my
digital
camera.

The video
can be
imported to,
say,
Microsoft’s
Movie Maker
program, and
examined frame
by frame to
get position
as a function
of time and
from that,
velocity and
acceleration.

RM:  I

would love to
see that. You
should do it.
I was trying
to keep mine
very low tech;
something you
could do while
visiting your
granddaughter
in Seattle;-)

experiment
differs from
the one used
to determine
the parameters
of the EP
participant is
consciously
trying to
maintain a
constant joint
angle. The EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens under
a change of
load when the
muscle lambdas
are not
voluntarily
altered.

RM: This

is a pretty
incoherent
experiment.
What does it
mean that the
EP model is
supposed to
model what
happens when
the muscle
lambdas are
“not
voluntarily
altered”. What
is
voluntarily?
What does
consciousness
have to do
with it?

I thought

the EP model
was a model of
how people
move their
limbs (it
looks that way
in the
simulation;
varying R
results in
nice smooth
variations in
elbow angle).
Now you seem
to be saying
that it’s a
model of some
other kind of
behavior; one
that I don’t
understand.
It’s
apparently the
behavior of a
person who can
command
different limb
angles but
isn’t
controlling
the limb at
the commanded
angle. In
other words,
it seems that
you are saying
that the EP
model is a
model of
commanded
output
behavior.
Since we know
that the
behavior of
humans is not
commanded
output but
controlled
perceptual
input, the EP
model is
apparently a
model of the
behavior of
non-living
systems. So EP
is neither a
competitor nor
an alternative
to PCT.So why
are we even
talking about
it?

noted in my
previous post,
conscious
control of
joint angle
might work by
adjusting the
lambdas so as
to compensate
for load
changes.
That, of
course,
requires a
level of
control not
present in the
EP model
simulated in
my demo.

RM: What

is “conscious
control”?
Control and
consciousness
are two
different
things, as you
must know.
Control occurs
whether one is
conscious or
unconscious of
it occurring.
Are you saying
that EP is a
model of
“unconscious
control”? If
so, it’s back
to being a
competitor of
PCT because
control is
control,
whether you
are conscious
of it or not.

tried not attempting
to maintain a
constant joint
angle, but
just letting
the forearm
sag as it will
in response to
the added
load?

RM: I

don’t even
know what that
means? My
first guess is
to just not
control the
angle at my
elbow at all.
The result
would be my
arm dangling
at my side.
Adding weight
would just
feel heavier
in my hand.
But I really
don’t know how
to stop
controlling.
I’m still
controlling
limb angle
even when I
just let my
arm dangle as
could be
determined if
someone tried
to bend my
forearm back
past vertical
while holding
my upper arm
stationary. I
would resist
that
disturbance
big time.

Taylor has
noted, the
correct model
will be the
one that
embodies, at
some level of
abstraction,
the actual
physiological
mechanisms
(while also
accounting for
joint
dynamics).

RM: No,

the correct
model will be
one that
behaves like a
person does
(ie. controls
limb angle)
while not
violating what
we know about
the physiology
and physics of
the situation.
Judging the
model by its
fidelity to
the physiology
is, I think,
like trying to
fit it into a
Procrustean
bed. For
several
reasons.
First, the
physiology is
itself a
theory based
on
observations
that are
themselves
guided by how
we think the
physiology
works. So the
“true”
physiology
today is
likely to be
considered
“not quite
right”
tomorrow.

Second,

it’s possible
to build
models that
are consistent
with our
current
understanding
of the
physiology and
are dead
wrong. After
all, the
behavioral
model that is
the basis of
all research
in psychology
– the general
linear model
of behavior –
is
comfortably
consistent
with the most
basic
observations
of
neurophysiology,
which is that
there are
afferent
neurons that
carry sensory
data into the
the central
nervous system
and efferent
neurons that
carry data
from the
central
nervous system
to the muscles
and glands
that produce
behavior.So
our most basic
understanding
of the
neurophysiology
of the nervous
system is
completely
consistent
with a model
of behavior –
the GLM –
that we know
to be wrong.

Finally,

making
consistency
with the
physiology
being a
criterion for
a successful
model is
related to the
idea that the
behavior of
organisms must
obey the laws
of matter, as
discussed by
Powers on pp.
16-18 of LCS
III.
Psychologists
now seem to
treat
neurophysiology
as the new
“laws of
matter” and
use
consistency
with the
neurophysiology
as the measure
of the
correctness of
a theory of
behavior in
the same way
that they used
to use the
laws of
physics for
this purpose.
But as Bill
points out in
that section
of LCS III,
it’s not just
that the laws
of matter
(including
neurophysiology)
that govern
behavior; it’s
the
organization
of that matter
that also
matters. And
the main
organizational
aspect of
matter (and
neurophysiology)
that is
ignored, even
by models,
like EP that
get the
neurophysiology
right (in
terms of what
we now
understand to
be “right”),
is the fact
that the
nervous system
exists in a
closed
feedback loop
that goes
through the
environment;
the inputs to
the nervous
system (in a
living system)
are always a
result of
both
independent
events in the
system’s
environment
(disturbances)
and the
muscular/glandular
outputs of the
nervous system
itself. The EP
model clearly
doesn’t take
this
organizational
fact into
account –
“clearly”
because it
doesn’t
control.

Your lovely

simulation of
the EP model
demonstrates
this fact
beautifully.
It is not a
control model.
Therefore, it
is not a model
of human
behavior.
Period. Why
you keep
trying to find
something of
value in this
model is
beyond me.
Your
simulation of
their model
clearly
demonstrates
two very
important
facts about
the EP model:

1. it doesn’t
    control and 2)
    it’s behavior
    looks like the
    behavior of a
    living system
    (in the sense
    that
    variations in
    R result in
    nice realistic
    variations in
    the angle at
    the elbow)
    until you
    apply
    disturbances
    and see that
    it is not
    controlling;
    it’s just
    generating
    output. So the
    model shows
    that behavior
    can look

commanded
    output rather
    than control;
    you can’t tell
    that control
    is actually
    going on until
    you test by
    applying
    disturbances
    to the
    presumed
    controiations
    in R result in
    nice realistic
    variations in
    the angle at
    the elbow)
    until you
    apply
    disturbances
    and see that
    it is not
    controlling;
    it’s just
    generating
    output. So the
    model shows
    that behavior
    can look

commanded
    output rather
    than control;
    you can’t tell
    that control
    is actually
    going on until
    you test by
    applying
    disturbances
    to the
    presumed
    controlled
    variable.
                                                      This is

such a
dynamite
finding; and
it’s thanks to
your modeling
effort. I hope
that the paper
you write
based on this
work will make
these points
clearly and
forcefully.
For the sake
of PCT and
Bill Powers’
legacy.

Best

Rick

I could
easily design
a robotic
servo system
to maintain a
joint angle
against
disturbances,
but I can
pretty much
guarantee that
there are no
electric
servomotors
actuating our
joints.

Bruce

Group Network
(CSGnet)
** On Behalf
Of**
Richard
Marken
Sent:
Thursday,
February 13,
Subject:
A Bag of Books
(was EP Model
– Delphi
version,
revised –
again!)

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of

this thread is
a play on
Powers’ paper
“A Bucket of
Beans”
(reprinted in
LCS II) in
which he uses
a bucket on a
rubber
band (what
else?) to
demonstrate
some
properties of
control. In
this thread I
describe a
little
experiment
that
demonstrates
characteristics
of limb
position
control using
a bag of
books. Keeping
up the low
tech
experimentation
tradition;-)

Earlier

I had posted
this
observation
about the
behavior of
the EP model:

RM:

The fact that
the EP model
is not a
control model
is even more
evident when
one compares
the behavior
of the EP
model to that
of a control
model that
better
represents
what actually
happens when
increasing
step
disturbances
of weight are
applied to a
limb. This is
shown by the
yellow line
(labelled icv
to indicate
that these are
the variations
in limb angle
that result
when limb
angle is
controlled by
an integral
control
system).
Except for the
brief “jerks”
that occur at
the points
where the step
disturbance
increases, the
control system
keeps the limb
angle right at
the reference
angle (0 in
this case)
protected from
the increasing
step
disturbances.
This
corresponds to
the behavior
you would
actually
observe in a
human. You
could see this
by by having
someone hold a
bag in their
hand at a
fixed angle
from their
body and then
drop one pound
weights one at
a time into
the bag. I
think you will
find that the
behavior of
the person’s
arm angle over
time will
looks a lot
more like the
yellow plot
(icv) than the
green one
(ep).

Since

then I have
actually
performed this
experiment. I
think it’s
worth doing it
yourself so
that you can
get a feel for
the difference
between
control and
equilibrium.

First,

start with the
EP Model
prediction of
the effect of
adding weight
to a limb
using Bruce’s
EP model
simulation.
Set the EP
model to run
continuously
with R=90 and
C=90 (you’ll
have to start
with R=60 and
then increase
R to 90 after
you set the
model to “Run
Continuously”
and then press
“Run Model” or
the model will
oscillate).
Note the
actual joint
angle (shown
in the Joint
Angle box) is
90 degrees.
Next add
weight 1 kg at
a time until
you reach the
max of 10
kg.The result
is that the
forearm sags
about 1+
degree from a
90 degree
angle at the
elbow each
time 1 kg (2.2
lbs) weights
is added,
ending at 101
degrees after
10 kg is added
– an 11
degree
increase in
elbow joint
angle. So the
prediction of
the EP model
at the highest
“gain” setting
(maximum C
value) is that
adding weight
to the hand
while you are
trying to
maintain a
particular
angle (like 90
degrees) at
the elbow will
result in the
angle
increasing
(forearm going
down) as the
weight
increases.

We

can test this
prediction by
having a
friend hold a
reasonably
strong bag in
their hand,
palm up, while
keeping their
elbow at a 90
degree angle
relative to
the body. It’s
nice to do
this in a
place where
the hand can
point directly
at a reference
point so that
you can get a
better idea of
how much the
hand position
has changed
when weight
(in the form
of books) is
added to the
bag. Now
(gently) drop
books into the
bag one at a
time and see
what happens
to the arm
position. I
found that
volumes of our
old World Book
Encyclopedia
work well; the
volumes are
all close to 2
lbs (~1kg).
Dropping the
books into the
bag one at a
time is
equivalent to
the step
increase in
weight
produced by
the EP program
when the
weight is
ticked up by 1
kg at a time.

I

think what you
will see is
behavior that
is nothing
like that of
the EP model.
What I
observed is
that each time
a book is
dropped into
the bag there
is a transient
increase in
the angle at
the elbow, so
that the hand
dips below the
reference
point to which
it is pointed,
but the
position of
the hand is
quickly
restored to
pointing at
the reference
point each
time a book is
added; the 90
degree
reference
angle at the
elbow is
quickly
restored after
each increase
in weight;
there is no
increase in
elbow joint
angle with
increasing
weight. I
could only fit
about 14 lbs
(6.5 kg)
worth of
books into my
bag but at the
end of the
process the
hand was still
pointing
exactly at the
reference
point. The EP
model says it
should have
sagged 7
degrees below
the reference
point.

But

these findings
were based on
the subject
having visual
control of
joint angle.
The EP Model
is controlling
blind, so to
speak. So the
proper way to
test this is
with the
subjects eye’s
closed. So
once the
subject has
the elbow
angle at 90
degrees and is
pointing at a
reference
position,have
him or her
close the eyes
and then start
adding books
and see what
happens. When
I did it with
myself as
subject I
found that I
was able to
maintain the
angle pretty
well; again
there was no
continuous
decrease in
the angle as
books were
dropped into
the bag, as
per the EP
model.

I

think this
little demo
will give you
at least a
qualitative
sense of how
different
control is
from EP
behavior.
With eyes
closed (the
best test of
the EP model)
the response
to a transient
disturbance (a
book dropping
into a bad) is
not a constant
increase in
elbow angle,
as per the EP
model; what
actually
happens is a
transient
lowering of
the hand
followed by an
immediate
raising of the
hand back to
(and sometimes
slightly past)
the reference
position (the
reference
elbow angle).
With
continuous
addition of
books (and
weight) to the
bag there is
not a
continuous
decrease in
the position
of the hand,
as predicted
by EP.

With

eyes closed
you are
controlling a
proprioceptive
perception of
elbow angle.
This is a
tougher
perception to
control than
the visual
perception of
where the hand
is pointing.
But the
proprioceptive
perception can
be controlled
pretty well,
though the
actual
position
pointed to
will vary a
bit more when
the eyes are
closed then
when they are
open. But even
with eyes
closed there
is not the the
continuous
increase in
joint angle
(decrease in
the pointing
position of
the hand)
predicted by
the EP Model.

A

more precise
and formal
version of
this “Bag of
Books” test,
if done by the
proponents of
the EP model
of limb
position
control, would
surely have
eliminated the
EP model from
contention as
a model of
limb position
control since
the EP model
doesn’t
control in
this situation
where people
clearly do.

It

would be nice
if some of you
actually did
this
experiment and
let us know
what you
find.

Best

regards

Rick

Richard

S. Marken PhD

The only

thing that
will redeem
mankind is
cooperation.

--

Bertrand
Russell

Richard S. Marken
PhD

The only thing that

will redeem mankind is
cooperation.

-- Bertrand

Russellat worst

sp;                                         

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD

cooperation.

-- Bertrand Russell

Ok Martin, you have persuaded me to continue, thanks!

Warren

···

On 2014/02/17 3:11 PM, Warren Mansell
wrote:

Hi Martin, isn't there a difference between (A) modelling a

linear chain of processes as part of a closed loop (and the
hierarchy of those loops) and (B) assuming there is a direct
connection between a stimulus in the environment and observable
‘behaviour’ (which varies in in how non-PCT approaches even
measure) that is independent of the reference values of the
organism?

I am saying it is likely there will be A in LCS-IV but not B,

except to usefully critique B, to give us new insights. I had
consider the R in S-R as observable behaviour.

I may just stay clear of these debates as being on the fence

seems to have the potential to confuse and upset both sides!
Maybe that is a good thing! The proof will be in the pudding as
they say!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
    On 17 Feb 2014, at 19:52, Martin Taylor <mmt-csg@MMTAYLOR.NET        >

wrote:

Warren,

appropriate when you are talking about observable behaviour,
but you have to be clear that Rick sees the S-R bogeyman
hiding under every bed and behind every door.

Remember that EVERY component of a control loop is an S-R

process, something that really seems to annoy Rick. He refused
to believe it when Bill tried to explain it to him, and he
refuses to accept it whenever I use that fact in an analysis.
Since in his view, the ONLY proper PCT research is to test for
THE controlled variable, there isn’t much prospect for
developing PCT beyond the state where Bill left it if we
accept that there is no place for S-R processes in PCT, and
there’s no prospect for understanding what is inside an
control loops.

If there won't be any S-R in LCS IV, there won't be much of

anything in my chapter, since I do try to speculate as to what
goes on in the head and why and how some perceptions might be
being controlled. S-R processes are the sine qua non of
control, and indeed of any physical system. If you deny their
existence all you have is fairy tales.

End rant.

Martin
        On 2014/02/17 10:11 AM, Warren

Mansell wrote:

Hi Rick, believe me I am with you on this! We just need

to sit down and explain what we mean a bit clearer. There
won’t be any S-R in LCSIV for sure!

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
          On 16 Feb 2014, at 20:47, Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
          >

wrote:

Hi Warren

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at

1:22 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Rick, the blind men were wrong but

they were still feeling a part of the
elephant and describing it. For example they
can still describe the rough, long, trunk
with holes at the end even though they don’t
know it’s a trunk. We can use some if this
information to understand the elephant, and
we might have to if we can’t reach the trunk
ourselves. It is hard to use such a filter
but sometimes necessary…

RM: The "blind men" of psychology have,

indeed, given very good, detailed descriptions
and explanations of the parts of the “elephant”
that they were feeling. There are hundreds of
papers describing the factors that affect S-R
relationships, that determine how consequences
select behavior and that influence the way
cognitive processing produces outputs. This is
called conventional psychology and it has led to
no progress in our understanding of the
“elephant” of control, even though these
phenomena are all manifestations of that
phenomenon (as per my “Blind Men” paper). So
far, none of the information obtained by the
blind men of psychology has informed our
understanding of the “elephant of control” in
any way; indeed, it has only prevented the study
of the whole elephant; that is, it has
prevented psychology from putting on “control
theory glasses” and starting the study behavior
from a PCT perspective.

So if the "World According to PCT" book is

going to be a collection of papers about what
S-R, reinforcement and cognitive psychology
tells us about PCT then it will not be a book
that honors the legacy of Bill Powers, who spent
his life trying to explain that research done
from those perspectives is as misleading about
the nature of behavior as is a blind man’s
description of a part of an elephant. It would
certainly be OK if the chapters in the book were
about what PCT tells us about S-R, reinforcement
and cognitive psychology. But the best would be
chapters that are about what PCT tells us about
the elephant itself; the behavior of living
systems. And just forget about what the blind
men say.

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
                            On 16 Feb 2014, at 03:01, Richard Marken

<rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
>
wrote:

[From Rick Marken

(2014.02.15.1900)]

On Fri, Feb 14,

2014 at 8:21 PM, Warren
Mansell wmansell@gmail.com
wrote:

WM: Hi Bruce and

Rick, I think there is
probably ‘value’ in most
other studies and
theories as they are
studying the same
elephant sometimes in
ways we don’t have the
time, inclination or
technology to do,

RM: I take it you are

alluding to my “Blind Men
and the Elephant” paper
reprinted in “More Mind
Readings”. Remember, the
guys studying the elephant
were blind. So when asked
to describe an elephant they
described the feel of the
part of the elephant that
was near them – a snake,
rope or wall – none of
which is a correct
description of an elephant.
The elephant in the paper,
of course, is control. So
the point of the paper is
that people who don’t know
that behavior is control are
going to approach the study
of behavior are though it is
S-R (behaviorist), selection
by consequences
commanded output
(cognitive). The analogy to
the “Blind Men and the
Elephant” parable is meant
to show that these different
approaches to understanding
behavior have as little
value as do the blind
men’s approaches to
understanding an elephant.

RM: So I strongly

disagree with the statement
that “there is probably
‘value’ in most other
studies and theories as they
are studying the same
elephant .” The “Blind Men”
paper argues that if you
can’t see the whole elephant
– if you can’t see that
behavior is control – then
what you conclude about it
is of little value and,
possibly, of negative value
because it can be quite
misleading; behavior is not
S-R or selection by
consequences or commanded
output. These are all ways
of seeing control if you can
only “see” it by feeling
selected parts of it, as was
the case for the blind men
and the elephant – and as
is the case for these “other
studies and theories” that
were not done in the context
of an understanding that
behavior is control.

W: but that needs to

be seen ‘through control
theory glasses’ to quote
you Rick. This could
even lead to the
opposite conclusions to
the original
researchers, yet still
be informative for a PCT
model.

RM: Exactly! You have to

see behavior through control
theory glasses – see that
behavior is a process of
control, in fact, not in
theory – before you have
any chance of coming to
correct conclusions about
how it works. The EP people
did not see behavior as
control – indeed, they went
out of their way to see it
as commanded output. And
thus they came up with a
model that explains what
they think they are seeing
– commanded output – but
doesn’t explain what is
actually happening –
control.

RM: I think this point --

that behavioral research of
any kind that is done
without an understanding
that behavior is control is
useless at best and
misleading at worst – has
to be made forcefully if we
are to honor Bill’s vision
for this book. For, as Bill
said in the proposal for the
book:

revolution whether we
like it or not. There
are going to be
arguments, screaming and
yelling or cool and
polite. It’s time to
sink or swim.

RM: I think it's time

to stop playing Mr. Nice
Guy with theorists who
subjected Bill’s ideas to
the “massive” (and often
insulting) resistance to
which Bill alludes in the
book proposal. And I think
you will agree, when you
read that proposal again
– especially the last few
paragraphs – that Bill
was ready to stop also.

Best regards

Rick

Warren

Sent from my iPhone
                                                On 15 Feb 2014, at

02:54, Richard
Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM
>
wrote:

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.14.1900)]

Bruce Abbott

(2014.02.13.1520
EST)–

Rick. I had
been thinking
about doing
this
experiment
myself but
using a paper
scale pasted
to a wall and
capturing the
dynamics on
video using my
digital
camera.

The video
can be
imported to,
say,
Microsoft’s
Movie Maker
program, and
examined frame
by frame to
get position
as a function
of time and
from that,
velocity and
acceleration.

RM:  I

would love to
see that. You
should do it.
I was trying
to keep mine
very low tech;
something you
could do while
visiting your
granddaughter
in Seattle;-)

experiment
differs from
the one used
to determine
the parameters
of the EP
participant is
consciously
trying to
maintain a
constant joint
angle. The EP
model is
supposed to
model what
happens under
a change of
load when the
muscle lambdas
are not
voluntarily
altered.

RM: This

is a pretty
incoherent
experiment.
What does it
mean that the
EP model is
supposed to
model what
happens when
the muscle
lambdas are
“not
voluntarily
altered”. What
is
voluntarily?
What does
consciousness
have to do
with it?

I thought

the EP model
was a model of
how people
move their
limbs (it
looks that way
in the
simulation;
varying R
results in
nice smooth
variations in
elbow angle).
Now you seem
to be saying
that it’s a
model of some
other kind of
behavior; one
that I don’t
understand.
It’s
apparently the
behavior of a
person who can
command
different limb
angles but
isn’t
controlling
the limb at
the commanded
angle. In
other words,
it seems that
you are saying
that the EP
model is a
model of
commanded
output
behavior.
Since we know
that the
behavior of
humans is not
commanded
output but
controlled
perceptual
input, the EP
model is
apparently a
model of the
behavior of
non-living
systems. So EP
is neither a
competitor nor
an alternative
to PCT.So why
are we even
talking about
it?

noted in my
previous post,
conscious
control of
joint angle
might work by
adjusting the
lambdas so as
to compensate
for load
changes.
That, of
course,
requires a
level of
control not
present in the
EP model
simulated in
my demo.

RM: What

is “conscious
control”?
Control and
consciousness
are two
different
things, as you
must know.
Control occurs
whether one is
conscious or
unconscious of
it occurring.
Are you saying
that EP is a
model of
“unconscious
control”? If
so, it’s back
to being a
competitor of
PCT because
control is
control,
whether you
are conscious
of it or not.

tried not attempting
to maintain a
constant joint
angle, but
just letting
the forearm
sag as it will
in response to
the added
load?

RM: I

don’t even
know what that
means? My
first guess is
to just not
control the
angle at my
elbow at all.
The result
would be my
arm dangling
at my side.
Adding weight
would just
feel heavier
in my hand.
But I really
don’t know how
to stop
controlling.
I’m still
controlling
limb angle
even when I
just let my
arm dangle as
could be
determined if
someone tried
to bend my
forearm back
past vertical
while holding
my upper arm
stationary. I
would resist
that
disturbance
big time.

Taylor has
noted, the
correct model
will be the
one that
embodies, at
some level of
abstraction,
the actual
physiological
mechanisms
(while also
accounting for
joint
dynamics).

RM: No,

the correct
model will be
one that
behaves like a
person does
(ie. controls
limb angle)
while not
violating what
we know about
the physiology
and physics of
the situation.
Judging the
model by its
fidelity to
the physiology
is, I think,
like trying to
fit it into a
Procrustean
bed. For
several
reasons.
First, the
physiology is
itself a
theory based
on
observations
that are
themselves
guided by how
we think the
physiology
works. So the
“true”
physiology
today is
likely to be
considered
“not quite
right”
tomorrow.

Second,

it’s possible
to build
models that
are consistent
with our
current
understanding
of the
physiology and
are dead
wrong. After
all, the
behavioral
model that is
the basis of
all research
in psychology
– the general
linear model
of behavior –
is
comfortably
consistent
with the most
basic
observations
of
neurophysiology,
which is that
there are
afferent
neurons that
carry sensory
data into the
the central
nervous system
and efferent
neurons that
carry data
from the
central
nervous system
to the muscles
and glands
that produce
behavior.So
our most basic
understanding
of the
neurophysiology
of the nervous
system is
completely
consistent
with a model
of behavior –
the GLM –
that we know
to be wrong.

Finally,

making
consistency
with the
physiology
being a
criterion for
a successful
model is
related to the
idea that the
behavior of
organisms must
obey the laws
of matter, as
discussed by
Powers on pp.
16-18 of LCS
III.
Psychologists
now seem to
treat
neurophysiology
as the new
“laws of
matter” and
use
consistency
with the
neurophysiology
as the measure
of the
correctness of
a theory of
behavior in
the same way
that they used
to use the
laws of
physics for
this purpose.
But as Bill
points out in
that section
of LCS III,
it’s not just
that the laws
of matter
(including
neurophysiology)
that govern
behavior; it’s
the
organization
of that matter
that also
matters. And
the main
organizational
aspect of
matter (and
neurophysiology)
that is
ignored, even
by models,
like EP that
get the
neurophysiology
right (in
terms of what
we now
understand to
be “right”),
is the fact
that the
nervous system
exists in a
closed
feedback loop
that goes
through the
environment;
the inputs to
the nervous
system (in a
living system)
are always a
result of
both
independent
events in the
system’s
environment
(disturbances)
and the
muscular/glandular
outputs of the
nervous system
itself. The EP
model clearly
doesn’t take
this
organizational
fact into
account –
“clearly”
because it
doesn’t
control.

Your lovely

simulation of
the EP model
demonstrates
this fact
beautifully.
It is not a
control model.
Therefore, it
is not a model
of human
behavior.
Period. Why
you keep
trying to find
something of
value in this
model is
beyond me.
Your
simulation of
their model
clearly
demonstrates
two very
important
facts about
the EP model:

1. it doesn’t
    control and 2)
    it’s behavior
    looks like the
    behavior of a
    living system
    (in the sense
    that
    variations in
    R result in
    nice realistic
    variations in
    the angle at
    the elbow)
    until you
    apply
    disturbances
    and see that
    it is not
    controlling;
    it’s just
    generating
    output. So the
    model shows
    that behavior
    can look

commanded
    output rather
    than control;
    you can’t tell
    that control
    is actually
    going on until
    you test by
    applying
    disturbances
    to the
    presumed
    controiations
    in R result in
    nice realistic
    variations in
    the angle at
    the elbow)
    until you
    apply
    disturbances
    and see that
    it is not
    controlling;
    it’s just
    generating
    output. So the
    model shows
    that behavior
    can look

commanded
    output rather
    than control;
    you can’t tell
    that control
    is actually
    going on until
    you test by
    applying
    disturbances
    to the
    presumed
    controlled
    variable.
                                                      This is

such a
dynamite
finding; and
it’s thanks to
your modeling
effort. I hope
that the paper
you write
based on this
work will make
these points
clearly and
forcefully.
For the sake
of PCT and
Bill Powers’
legacy.

Best

Rick

I could
easily design
a robotic
servo system
to maintain a
joint angle
against
disturbances,
but I can
pretty much
guarantee that
there are no
electric
servomotors
actuating our
joints.

Bruce

Group Network
(CSGnet)
** On Behalf
Of**
Richard
Marken
Sent:
Thursday,
February 13,
Subject:
A Bag of Books
(was EP Model
– Delphi
version,
revised –
again!)

[From

Rick Marken
(2014.02.13.1130)]

The title of

this thread is
a play on
Powers’ paper
“A Bucket of
Beans”
(reprinted in
LCS II) in
which he uses
a bucket on a
rubber
band (what
else?) to
demonstrate
some
properties of
control. In
this thread I
describe a
little
experiment
that
demonstrates
characteristics
of limb
position
control using
a bag of
books. Keeping
up the low
tech
experimentation
tradition;-)

Earlier

I had posted
this
observation
about the
behavior of
the EP model:

RM:

The fact that
the EP model
is not a
control model
is even more
evident when
one compares
the behavior
of the EP
model to that
of a control
model that
better
represents
what actually
happens when
increasing
step
disturbances
of weight are
applied to a
limb. This is
shown by the
yellow line
(labelled icv
to indicate
that these are
the variations
in limb angle
that result
when limb
angle is
controlled by
an integral
control
system).
Except for the
brief “jerks”
that occur at
the points
where the step
disturbance
increases, the
control system
keeps the limb
angle right at
the reference
angle (0 in
this case)
protected from
the increasing
step
disturbances.
This
corresponds to
the behavior
you would
actually
observe in a
human. You
could see this
by by having
someone hold a
bag in their
hand at a
fixed angle
from their
body and then
drop one pound
weights one at
a time into
the bag. I
think you will
find that the
behavior of
the person’s
arm angle over
time will
looks a lot
more like the
yellow plot
(icv) than the
green one
(ep).

Since

then I have
actually
performed this
experiment. I
think it’s
worth doing it
yourself so
that you can
get a feel for
the difference
between
control and
equilibrium.

First,

start with the
EP Model
prediction of
the effect of
adding weight
to a limb
using Bruce’s
EP model
simulation.
Set the EP
model to run
continuously
with R=90 and
C=90 (you’ll
have to start
with R=60 and
then increase
R to 90 after
you set the
model to “Run
Continuously”
and then press
“Run Model” or
the model will
oscillate).
Note the
actual joint
angle (shown
in the Joint
Angle box) is
90 degrees.
Next add
weight 1 kg at
a time until
you reach the
max of 10
kg.The result
is that the
forearm sags
about 1+
degree from a
90 degree
angle at the
elbow each
time 1 kg (2.2
lbs) weights
is added,
ending at 101
degrees after
10 kg is added
– an 11
degree
increase in
elbow joint
angle. So the
prediction of
the EP model
at the highest
“gain” setting
(maximum C
value) is that
adding weight
to the hand
while you are
trying to
maintain a
particular
angle (like 90
degrees) at
the elbow will
result in the
angle
increasing
(forearm going
down) as the
weight
increases.

We

can test this
prediction by
having a
friend hold a
reasonably
strong bag in
their hand,
palm up, while
keeping their
elbow at a 90
degree angle
relative to
the body. It’s
nice to do
this in a
place where
the hand can
point directly
at a reference
point so that
you can get a
better idea of
how much the
hand position
has changed
when weight
(in the form
of books) is
added to the
bag. Now
(gently) drop
books into the
bag one at a
time and see
what happens
to the arm
position. I
found that
volumes of our
old World Book
Encyclopedia
work well; the
volumes are
all close to 2
lbs (~1kg).
Dropping the
books into the
bag one at a
time is
equivalent to
the step
increase in
weight
produced by
the EP program
when the
weight is
ticked up by 1
kg at a time.

I

think what you
will see is
behavior that
is nothing
like that of
the EP model.
What I
observed is
that each time
a book is
dropped into
the bag there
is a transient
increase in
the angle at
the elbow, so
that the hand
dips below the
reference
point to which
it is pointed,
but the
position of
the hand is
quickly
restored to
pointing at
the reference
point each
time a book is
added; the 90
degree
reference
angle at the
elbow is
quickly
restored after
each increase
in weight;
there is no
increase in
elbow joint
angle with
increasing
weight. I
could only fit
about 14 lbs
(6.5 kg)
worth of
books into my
bag but at the
end of the
process the
hand was still
pointing
exactly at the
reference
point. The EP
model says it
should have
sagged 7
degrees below
the reference
point.

But

these findings
were based on
the subject
having visual
control of
joint angle.
The EP Model
is controlling
blind, so to
speak. So the
proper way to
test this is
with the
subjects eye’s
closed. So
once the
subject has
the elbow
angle at 90
degrees and is
pointing at a
reference
position,have
him or her
close the eyes
and then start
adding books
and see what
happens. When
I did it with
myself as
subject I
found that I
was able to
maintain the
angle pretty
well; again
there was no
continuous
decrease in
the angle as
books were
dropped into
the bag, as
per the EP
model.

I

think this
little demo
will give you
at least a
qualitative
sense of how
different
control is
from EP
behavior.
With eyes
closed (the
best test of
the EP model)
the response
to a transient
disturbance (a
book dropping
into a bad) is
not a constant
increase in
elbow angle,
as per the EP
model; what
actually
happens is a
transient
lowering of
the hand
followed by an
immediate
raising of the
hand back to
(and sometimes
slightly past)
the reference
position (the
reference
elbow angle).
With
continuous
addition of
books (and
weight) to the
bag there is
not a
continuous
decrease in
the position
of the hand,
as predicted
by EP.

With

eyes closed
you are
controlling a
proprioceptive
perception of
elbow angle.
This is a
tougher
perception to
control than
the visual
perception of
where the hand
is pointing.
But the
proprioceptive
perception can
be controlled
pretty well,
though the
actual
position
pointed to
will vary a
bit more when
the eyes are
closed then
when they are
open. But even
with eyes
closed there
is not the the
continuous
increase in
joint angle
(decrease in
the pointing
position of
the hand)
predicted by
the EP Model.

A

more precise
and formal
version of
this “Bag of
Books” test,
if done by the
proponents of
the EP model
of limb
position
control, would
surely have
eliminated the
EP model from
contention as
a model of
limb position
control since
the EP model
doesn’t
control in
this situation
where people
clearly do.

It

would be nice
if some of you
actually did
this
experiment and
let us know
what you
find.

Best

regards

Rick

Richard

S. Marken PhD

The only

thing that
will redeem
mankind is
cooperation.

--

Bertrand
Russell

Richard S. Marken
PhD

The only thing that

will redeem mankind is
cooperation.

-- Bertrand

Russellat worst

sp;                                         

/div>

Richard S. Marken PhD

cooperation.

-- Bertrand Russell

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.02.17.1820 EST)]

Rick Marken (2014.02.16.1210)–

Bruce Abbott (2014.02.15.0820 EST)

RM: This is a pretty incoherent experiment.

BA: Maybe it’s easier to do with the elbow rotating on a horizontal plane. The participants were able to do as asked, and the results were systematic – not what you’d expect if they were just letting the arm move to random new angles in order to meet the demand characteristics of the experiment.

RM: What paper was that experiment described in, by the way? I remember reading about it but can’t find it; it’s not in the Lan/Zhu paper.

What is perhaps the seminal paper for the EP model is Asatryan & Felman (1965), which I sent you under separate cover this morning. But there are others that have investigated more complex cases than the single elbow joint, (e.g., elbow and shoulder) and have looked at trajectories followed during reaching movements, including reaching for a target position rapidly.

The EP folks and us are on the same side on some issues; they argue against inverse kinematics, for example, and have shown how the EP model can account for some observations without requiring complex patterns of command variation that others have assumed are necessary in order to produce the observed accelerations and decelerations during fast reaching movements. That is, they argue that the complexities may be natural consequences of system organization rather than being preplanned programmed at some higher level. We’ve offered similar arguments based on control theory, such as not needing to adjust parameters to handle different kinds of loads, or complex fielder behavior emerging from control system organization without any motor “programming.”

Anyway, the fact that the results are “systematic” doesn’t mean that we know what the participants were doing (controlling for). My guess is that the subjects interpreted the instructions as a request to not control limb angle at a fixed reference. They were probably letting limb angle vary with the disturbance in order to control for constant perceived “effort”. But the fact that the model fits this mysterious behavior – mysterious in the sense that we don’t know what the subject is doing (controlling for) – seems rather inconsequential in comparison to the fact that the model can’t account for the behavior of limb movement, which is ostensibly what the EP model is a model of. If the EP model only explains “commanded output” limb movement then it’s explaining a phenomenon that doesn’t happen in living systems (but could happen in dead ones – like the electrical commands that are sent to the open loop muscle preparations used to test the muscle model that you are working on).

RM: No, the correct model will be one that behaves like a person does (ie. controls limb angle) while not violating what we know about the physiology and physics of the situation.

BA: Perhaps you’ve said it better, but that first sentence captures what I intended to convey. But there’s a lot of good data out there that a PCT model will have to be capable of reproducing.

RM: What data is that? I would really like to know what you have in mind.

Well, the reaching data, for one. But if you look at the Powers & Kennaway (1998) paper on which my muscle demo is based, you will see how their model was tested against a variety of empirical observations. That’s the sort of thing I have in mind.

RM: I think the only data PCT has to be capable of reproducing is data on the controlling done by living systems. It has to do it without violating what we understand to be the way the nervous and muscular system works but it doesn’t have to explain the data on nervous and muscle behavior (unless some of that behavior involves control, which it may). PCT is a functional model of behavior and all we have to know is that the nervous/muscular system is capable of carrying out the functions proposed by the model. And we know that it can.

BA: So there is no need to understand how the perceptual functions or output functions do their jobs? We can just make up some function that seems to work and be done with it? That may be true for some research – we can just represent those functions with some equations that simulate the relevant aspects what the real systems are doing, but then we are concerned with a higher level of organization and don’t need to be concerned with those details, so long as we approximate the relationships reasonably well. The arm simulation works well enough simply assuming that somehow, error gets turned into rotational torque – we just put the relationship into the output function. But in doing that, are we not essentially saying “then a miracle occurs” with respect to how this actually happens at the hardware (nerves, muscles, tendons, joints) level?

RM: So the idea that the EP model is in some way superior to the PCT model – or that there is something that PCT modelers can learn from the EP model because it provides a more accurate representation of the physiological mechanisms underlying limb movement – is just nonsense. The EP model may be based on a more detailed rendering of the neurophysiology underlying limb movement, but the model simply doesn’t work; it doesn’t control. It’s really like the legendary (but mythological) model of the bumblebee, which was based on all the “correct” physics but couldn’t fly.

BA: At bottom the EP model may operate as no more than an output mechanism that acts as part of a control system. As such is may not be nonsense, just not a control system. To the extent that the control system must operate through such a mechanism, the characteristics of that mechanism will influence how the control system of which it is a part must operate. What I don’t yet know is whether there are any proposals out there for such a control system – or is it all supposed to be driven by open-loop commands?

RM: So the EP model, physiologically “correct” though it may be, is clearly the wrong model of limb movement, as your lovely simulation shows clearly. I went back and read Feldman’s letter to Warren that was what started this whole thread (less than a month ago!! - it seems like years) and all you will find in there is criticisms of PCT because, according to Feldman, PCT doesn’t get the physiology right. To me, this is like arguing that Kirchoff’s circuit laws are wrong because they don’t take quantum electron effects into account. It’s just nonsense – and a true red herring, because it diverts attention from the fact that the EP model doesn’t work at all; it doesn’t move a limb like a person does(per the “Bag of Books” demo); it doesn’t control.

BA: So let’s get the physiology right and eliminate that argument.

BA: Anatomy, physiology, and established functional relationships obtained in physiological research can’t just be ignored during the model-building process. The correct model will embody the actual physiological mechanisms.

RM: I enthusiastically agree with your first sentence; I just as enthusiastically disagree with the second. Yes, we have to make sure that functional relationships proposed in the model are consistent with those that have been observed in physiological research; those are the constraints on how we design the model. But we certainly don’t have to embody the actual physiological mechanisms in the model for it to be correct. For example, we don’t have to put a detailed muscle model into a PCT model – one down to the sarcomere level --to make the PCT model more “correct”. Once we know the functional relationship between motor neuron activation of the muscle and output force we can just put that function into the model and know that we are not violating any physiological constraints.

BA: The apparent disagreement here appears to reside in a difference between us on how we define the word “correct.” Correct to me means that is accurately represents the relevant properties – structural, organizational, physiological – of the real system. I’m not asserting that every PCT model has to include this level of detail – as you say, a function that captures the right relationships will do for most purposes. But if you want to offer a model at this physiological level of detail, you have to have the mechanism right – to the extent that it seems to capture what we currently think we know about these systems and can generate behavior that closely matches that observed under the experimental conditions.

RM: Your lovely simulation of the EP model demonstrates this fact beautifully. It is not a control model. Therefore, it is not a model of human behavior. Period.

BA: I don’t believe I ever said that it is a model of human behavior. It may or may not capture how things work at the muscular level. We’ll have to see as we put it to the test.

BA: I want to be sure that I’m not building a straw man when comparing a PCT model to EP

RM: This could be a problem. But maybe not. I agree that you should do the best you can to make your EP model be a correct implementation of the model from the point of view of its advocates. But I think you’ve done pretty good due diligence in creating the simulation; the fact that it reproduces the R-C curves presented by Lan/Zhu is a pretty strong validation. But even if you got the blessing of the Pope of EP (I guess that would be Feldman; oh, the irony) they would probably yell straw man anyway when you show that it doesn’t control. But maybe that would drive them to produce a version of the EP model that does control and then we could all join the church of PCT (with me as Pope – ah. even more irony, for so many reasons;-) and agree that it’s possible to produce a control model that is consistent with what we know of the physiology.

BA: There’s quite a bit more work to do on this. For one thing, the EP model has evolved and there are at least two versions of it now, the lambda model and the alpha model. I’m not far enough along to know how they differ, or why the alternative was proposed. The version in my demo does not even include the gamma motor neurons, yet it is known that most (perhaps all) descending input to the system coactivates both gamma and alpha motor neurons to produce movement. Then there are other, non-EP models. To make this job tractable I’ve chosen to limit the present investigation to the EP model(s), but the EP model itself has plenty of detractors. But one has to start somewhere.

Bruce

[From Rick Marken (2014.02.18.1600)]

···

Bruce Abbott (2014.02.17.1820 EST)

RM: What data is that?[ That PCT should account for]

BA: Well, the reaching data, for one.

RM: You mean the horizontal arm on the table stuff? I’m sure PCT could duplicate the curves they find but it would just be curve fitting (like theirs is). PCT is a model of control, not just any old observable behavior. A proper PCT account of any data requires knowing what variables are under control.

BA: But if you look at the Powers & Kennaway (1998) paper on which my muscle demo is based, you will see how their model was tested against a variety of empirical observations. That’s the sort of thing I have in mind.

RM: That was an open loop model accounting for open loop behavior. EP is an open loop model of closed-loop behavior (that they are trying to imagine is open-loop). The “Bag of Books” data is enough to rule EP out as a model of limb movement.

RM: I think the only data PCT has to be capable of reproducing is data on the controlling done by living systems. It has to do it without violating what we understand to be the way the nervous and muscular system works but it doesn’t have to explain the data on nervous and muscle behavior (unless some of that behavior involves control, which it may). PCT is a functional model of behavior and all we have to know is that the nervous/muscular system is capable of carrying out the functions proposed by the model. And we know that it can.

BA: So there is no need to understand how the perceptual functions or output functions do their jobs?

RM: Where did I say that? No, we do need to understand that. But we don’t need to understand it in detail to know that it is happening and to incorporate it into a properly functioning model of behavior. For example, we do need to know (as curious humans) how the brain perceives the distance between target and cursor in a tracking task. But we don’t need to know it in order to write a control model that accurately incorporates the correct model of the perceptual function that transforms the physical situation into a perception.

BA: At bottom the EP model may operate as no more than an output mechanism that acts as part of a control system.

RM: You just don’t want to quit that EP model, do ya. If only you would put half as much effort into demonstrating the merits of the PCT model

BA: As such is may not be nonsense, just not a control system.

RM: We know it’s not a control system. So now what? You love the EP model so much that you want to kluge it into a control model? As I recall, this whole thread started with you pushing the EP model as a possible alternative to a PCT model of control of limb movement. You have now demonstrated that the EP model doesn’t control. So now you want to sell it as the output component of a control model? But we already have that component; it’s he Powers/Kennaway muscle model.

RM: So the EP model, physiologically “correct” though it may be, is clearly the wrong model of limb movement, as your lovely simulation shows clearly. I went back and read Feldman’s letter to Warren that was what started this whole thread (less than a month ago!! - it seems like years) and all you will find in there is criticisms of PCT because, according to Feldman, PCT doesn’t get the physiology right. To me, this is like arguing that Kirchoff’s circuit laws are wrong because they don’t take quantum electron effects into account. It’s just nonsense – and a true red herring, because it diverts attention from the fact that the EP model doesn’t work at all; it doesn’t move a limb like a person does(per the “Bag of Books” demo); it doesn’t control.

BA: So let’s get the physiology right and eliminate that argument.

RM: Sure, go ahead; make a physiologically correct version of a control model. I already think it is physiologically correct enough but if you want to make it even more correct go ahead. I predict that if you do produce a physiologically correct PCT model Feldman et al will still reject because they believe in equilibrium; they don’t like control of perception. Feldman’s physiological complaints about PCT are a red herring, I believe. But go ahead, let’s test it. Make your physiologically correct PCT model and see if Feldman falls in love with it;-)

BA: I don’t believe I ever said that it [EP] is a model of human behavior.

RM: You might not have but the EP modelers sure do, at least if you think of behavior as a control process. Virtually every paper I’ve gotten from you on the EP model has the word “control” in it. For example, here’s one of Feldman’s: Threshold control of motor actions prevents destabilizing effects. So he’s talking about the EP model as a control model; not as a components of a control model (like the open-loop muscle model).

BA: There’s quite a bit more work to do on this.

RM: Again, I look forward to seeing what you come up with, sort of. But this is such a confusing and shifting area that I, personally, will just stick with doing the research and modeling of behavior from the nice, clear, solid PCT perspective.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russell