A published PCT reference

[Martin Taylor 2010.05.15.23.32]

In case anyone is interested, I published a paper in an AGARD proceedings in 1992 using PCT and LPT, but I don't know if it is in the canonical bibliography of PCT-related papers. Taylor, M. M. and Waugh, D. A., "Principles for integrating voice I/O in a complex interface", paper 21 in AGARD-CP-521, "Advanced Aircraft Interfaces: The Machine Side of the Man-Machine Interface", AGARD, Neuilly Sur Seine, 1992. The whole proceedings (91Mb) is downloadable from <http://www.rta.nato.int/Pubs/RDP.asp?RDP=AGARD-CP-521>.

so much the main theme of the paper (though that does retain its interest for me), but an idea added after the conference, suggesting a method of allowing pilots to gracefully move between personal and autopilot control, rather than switching abruptly from one mode to the other. The idea was to help the pilot maintain situation awareness. It also hinted at a possible aid to training, by allowing a parameter influencing the balance between personal and autopilot control to be biased according to the skill of the pilot. I don't imagine it was ever tried in practice or in simulation.

I may well have mentioned this paper before, but it came up when I was looking for application references to use on the Wikipedia page, so I thought I might mention it again.

Martin

ยทยทยท

From my viewpoint in 2010, the interesting aspect of this paper was not

[F5rom bill Powers (2010.05.16.1725 MDT)]

Martin Taylor 2010.05.15.23.32 --

I tried FTPing to ftp.rta.nato.inc/PubFullText/AGARD/CP/AGARD-CP-521/ to pick out your paper, but when it got to the last folder, the directory listing was blocked. I had logged on as anonymous and used my email address as a password (as advised when I connected). The only other choice was to download all 94 megabytes, and my virus program insisted on checking the whole file at a very slow rate, so I gave up on that. Going the HTTP route gave me only the choice of all 94 megabytes.

Best,

Bill P.

[Martin Taylor 2010.05.19.00.28]

[From bill Powers (2010.05.16.1725 MDT)]

Martin Taylor 2010.05.15.23.32 --

I tried FTPing to ftp.rta.nato.inc/PubFullText/AGARD/CP/AGARD-CP-521/
to pick out your paper, but when it got to the last folder, the
directory listing was blocked. I had logged on as anonymous and used
my email address as a password (as advised when I connected). The only
other choice was to download all 94 megabytes, and my virus program
insisted on checking the whole file at a very slow rate, so I gave up
on that. Going the HTTP route gave me only the choice of all 94
megabytes.

I found the ftp also gave only the whole proceedings, but I downloaded
it anyway, not having any electronic copy of my own. It was a 1992
conference, and I imagine that I might have sent a paper copy for them
to typeset, or done it in troff, or something. Anyway, I extracted my
paper from the 300+ page proceedings document, and attach it here.

You will see that although it starts by expoinding PCT as I understood
it in 1992, the paper is mainly based on LPT which is claimed to be "a
specialized form of PCT". The interesting bit, I think, is the "Note
added after the symposium" at the end. I haven't reread the main paper,
so I'm not sure how much of it I would still agree with -- probably the
main thrust but not some details. Anyway, here it is.

Martin

AGARD92_IntegratingVoice.pdf (1.52 MB)