A Question about Disturbances

[From Fred Nickols (2016.05.07.1345 ET)]

I have a question about disturbances.

It is my understanding that disturbances affect the controlled variable independent of our actions.

For example, let’s suppose I am thirsty and reach for a glass of water in order to take a drink and slake my thirst.

If I reach for that glass of water and you snatch it away, you are a disturbance to my goal of taking a drink of water from that glass and thereby slaking my thirst.

But what about disturbances to our actions?

In that same example, if I reach for that glass of water and you grab my arm, what is that? Are there disturbances to actions? Sure looks like it to me.

Regards,

Fred Nickols, CPT

Writer & Consultant

DISTANCE CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance”SM

www.nickols.us/SeaStories.html

[From Rick Marken (2016.05.08.0950)]

···

Fred Nickols (2016.05.07.1345 ET)

Â

FN: I have a question about disturbances.

Â

It is my understanding that disturbances affect the controlled variable independent of our actions.

Â

For example, let’s suppose I am thirsty and reach for a glass of water in order to take a drink and slake my thirst.Â

Â

If I reach for that glass of water and you snatch it away, you are a disturbance to my goal of taking a drink of water from that glass and thereby slaking my thirst.

Â

But what about disturbances to our actions?

Â

In that same example, if I reach for that glass of water and you grab my arm, what is that? Are there disturbances to actions? Sure looks like it to me.

RM: Yes, grabbing the arm is a disturbance to a lower level controlled perception – the proprioceptive perception of the  position of your arm. It is compensated for by appropriate variation in muscle forces.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Regards,

Â

Fred Nickols, CPT

Writer & Consultant

DISTANCE CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance�SM

www.nickols.us/SeaStories.html

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Author, with Timothy A. Carey, of  Controlling People: The Paradoxical Nature of Being Human