Arm Motion: The control of perception

[Avery Andrews 971116]
(Martin Taylor, Bill Powers, Bruce Nevin, ...)

snipped

Would the subject adjust their speaking volume to oppose disturbances
in the thus fed-back volume, and, if so, in accord with what quantitative
characteristics?

About 30 years ago, in the psych department at the U. of Copenhagen, a graduate student had set up three test situations in a study of what, as far as I can remember, he called voluntary behaviour. In one you tried to sing a steady tone, while you were given feedback through earphones of a tone that rose or fell in pitch. The second situation was with a real Rube Goldberg apparatus: you stood up trying to keep your body alighned with the vertical and got distorted feeback of left or right leaning. And then, there was the one I found most fascinating: You put on a long glove, held a pencil, put your hand through a slot in a tall cabinet, looked down through an opening at the top of the cabinet, at what you assumed was your hand. You were instructed to draw a line straight foward. What you were actually looking at was the gloved hand of the "hidden" experimenter, who would simultaneously move his hand in a curve. Along with the fact that I ended up drawing a curved line, w!
!
as the strange sensation from my arm ..... hard to describe except to say it was very disconcerting. I only repeated it several times without much improvement to the best of my recollection. Along with the rotating trapezoid illusion, I used the apparatus with my Free Gymnasium students. Interesting stuff.

David Wolsk
Victoria, BC Canada

ยทยทยท

at 22:00 27/11/97 At 13:28 26/11/97 +1100, Avery Andrews wrote: