B:CP Course: Start Up Information

[Rick Marken 06.19.2013]

David and I would like to start the “Behavior: The Control of Perception” or B:CP course on Monday, July 1. I’ve attached a copy of the syllabus. As you will see, this will be a 15 week course where we spend each week discussing a different chapter (or group of chapters) in B:CP.

This will actually be a proto-course, which means that it will hopefully be the basis for a true on-line course packaged in a nice course-ware format with online lectures, demos and other media to demonstrate the concepts discussed in B:CP. In this first iteration of the class what we would like to see is not only discussion of each chapter but also suggestions from the class regarding on-line material that could be included in the future “real” class.

If you would like to participate in this initial course on B:CP you should have a copy of the 2nd edition (2005) of B:CP. This is the version of B:CP that we will be using in the class. It’s the same as the first edition but with some extra goodies, such as the chapter on Emotion that was not included in the first edition. If you don’t have a copy of the second edition of B:CP, you could order a copy from Amazon or Benchmark Publishers (http://benchpress.com/Books2.htm).

Each week of the course, starting Monday, July 1, we will distribute a “chapter guide” with questions and comments to guide the discussion. Everything relevant to the course will be posted to CSGNet with “B:CP Course” in the first part of the subject line. As in the heading to this email, the text following "B:CP Course: will describe the part of the course to which the post is relevant. So when we start with the Preface, you will see a post from CSGNet that says “B:CP Course: Preface” in the subject line.

Each subject line will define a discussion thread. So when you want to join in the discussion of the Preface, just reply to the posts that have “B:CP Course: Preface” in the subject line (it will become Re: “B:CP Course: Preface” once people start replying).

We will try to stick to one week per chapter, as per the syllabus, but if people want to continue the discussion of particular threads it can go on as long as you like. David and I will use these discussion threads as the basis for forming the real course.

One last thing. I think we should try to stick with our old CSGNet convention of starting any post with the name and date of the person posting, as I did above. I think we can stick with just the name and date but using a standard format would help so how about

[First Last Name, Mo.Day.Year]

I think that’s all you have to know for now. This is kind of a kludgy way to do this course but hopefully it will work well enough to provide us with a basis for the development of a more professional on-line course in the future. The success of this effort really depnds on those of you who participate in the course. We’re counting on you to provide much of the material that will be the basis of the future on-line course on B:CP.

Of course, if you have any comments on these ideas about starting up the course feel free to post them in reply to this subject line.

Here we go!

Best

Rick

Syllabus.doc (24.5 KB)

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Rick Marken, 06.20.20130]

In the previous post I said:

If you don’t have a copy of the second edition of B:CP, you could order a copy from Amazon or Benchmark Publishers (http://benchpress.com/Books2.htm).

It turns out the B:CP is not currently available from Benchmark. If you would like to order a copy, they are avaiable from Amazon (www.amazon.com) and Barnes & Noble (www.barnesandnoble.com).

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Rick Marken 6.20.2013]

More on ordering B:CP (2nd edition)

I’m told that Amazon is out of stock but copies are available from new view publications (newviewpublications.com).

Best

Rick

···

It turns out the B:CP is not currently available from Benchmark. If you would like to order a copy, they are avaiable from Amazon (www.amazon.com) and Barnes & Noble (www.barnesandnoble.com).

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Erling Jorgensen 06.20.2013]

Rick Marken 06.19.2013

If you would like to participate in this initial course on B:CP you should
have a copy of the 2nd edition (2005) of B:CP. This is the version of B:CP
that we will be using in the class. It's the same as the first edition but
with some extra goodies, such as the chapter on Emotion that was not
included in the first edition.

I have a copy of the 1st edition of B:CP, together with the "Emotions"
article from Living Systems II (I think), which had previously unpublished
collections of Bill's papers.

Do you know how different the 2nd edition is from what I have? Is it
primarily page references &/or figure references that would be thrown off,
or were there other substantive additions to the 2nd edition?

Just wondering if there is a way to participate starting with what I have.

Thanks.
Erling

[From Rick Marken 06.20.2013]

[Erling Jorgensen 06.20.2013]

I have a copy of the 1st edition of B:CP, together with the “Emotions”

article from Living Systems II (I think), which had previously unpublished

collections of Bill’s papers.

Do you know how different the 2nd edition is from what I have? Is it

primarily page references &/or figure references that would be thrown off,

or were there other substantive additions to the 2nd edition?

Just wondering if there is a way to participate starting with what I have.

I think you would have no trouble following along with the 1st edition of B:CP along with the Emotion chapter. Chaper numbers would be a bit different at the end but the context of all the chapters is the same in both edition, with some improvements to the figures, I believe, that were made by Dag Forssell.

If this ever becomes a real on-line class I would want people to use B:CP (2nd edition;2005). But for now I’m sure people would be able to do ok with the 1st edition (though I think it is a plus that you have the emotion chapter; if others want to use the 1st edition perhaps you could put that up at a web site. Now that I think of it, I should have a website for materials for the class. I’ll create one at my mindreadings site).

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Amazon should have at least 6 books in stock right now. There will be more available shortly.

Alice

···

-----Original Message-----

To: CSGNET CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

Sent: Thu, Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Subject: Re: B:CP Course: Start Up Information

[Rick Marken 6.20.2013]

More on ordering B:CP (2nd edition)

I’m told that Amazon is out of stock but copies are available from new view publications (newviewpublications.com).

Best

Rick

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[Martin Taylor 2013.06.24.12.48]

Rick,

[Rick Marken 06.19.2013]

One last thing. I think we should try to stick with our old CSGNet convention of starting any post with the name and date of the person posting, as I did above. I think we can stick with just the name and date but using a standard format would help so how about

Why not use the convention (the international standard) that many of us have been using for the date and time. Only the USA, so far as I know, uses the order Month Day Year. British derived use Day Month Year, which becomes confusing when you see 6.7.13. The standard convention is Year.Month.Day.Hour.Minute..... Let's use that, as I have in my sign-on above.

Martin

···

On 2013/06/19 7:32 PM, Richard Marken wrote:

[Rick Marken 2013.06.24.10.06]

[Martin Taylor 2013.06.24.12.48]

[Rick Marken 06.19.2013]

Why not use the convention (the international standard) that many of us have been using for the date and time. Only the USA, so far as I know, uses the order Month Day Year. British derived use Day Month Year, which becomes confusing when you see 6.7.13. The standard convention is Year.Month.Day.Hour.Minute… Let’s use that, as I have in my sign-on above.

Done!! First major course improvement. Thanks.

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

I prefer this also.
Lloyd

Why not use the convention (the international standard) that many of us have been using for the date and time.

Dr. Lloyd Klinedinst
10 Dover Lane
Villa Ridge, MO 63089-2001
HomeVoice: (636) 451-3232

Lloyd Mobile: (314)-609-5571
email: lloydk@klinedinst.com

···

On Jun 24, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@MMTAYLOR.NET wrote: