B:CP Course Week 5: Study Guide for CH. 4 Feedback and Behavior

[Rick Marken (2013.07.28.1610)]

Here's the study guide for Ch. 4.

Best

Rick

Study Guide, Ch 4 Feedback and Behavior.doc (26.5 KB)

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Content-Type: application/msword;
  name="Study Guide, Ch 4 Feedback and Behavior.doc"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
  filename="Study Guide, Ch 4 Feedback and Behavior.doc"
X-Attachment-Id: f_hjouz1661

[From Lord Rupert Vader (2013.08.03 21.15 BST) ]

1. How would you describe the main argument of this chapter? How does it relate to the question of whether any behavior is open - loop?
The chapter is clear that feedback is fundamental to our interaction with the world, in that what we perceive about the world affects our actions and those actions, in turn, affect the world. Open-loop behaviour is pretty much dismissed, I think.

2. Consider the following statement: When one observes a behavior, PCT suggests that one should ask what aspect(s) of a person’s experience is being altered, influenced, or regulated by the behavior. Agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

Yes. Behaviour is the observed side-effects of the control process, and doesn't indicate the internal intentions or motivations of the person. To investigate those it is necessary to discover what internal aspects (variables) are being controlled.

3. Consider the following statement: It is found out that a person is engaging in self-cutting. What do you think a person might be controlling by this action?

I'd say they are trying to stop or reduce the "error signal" they experience with their "normal" life; felt as anxiety and anguish. However, I don't think they manage it except by diverting their attention on to the physical pain. In essence then they are switching off their "normal life" control systems, so I suppose they could be said to be controlling for lower pain, where physical pain is less then psychological pain.

4. If a person has no preferences, that is, the person keeps saying “I don’t care”, what do you think the person might be controlling?
They're not controlling anything. They don't have any goals (references).

5. Do you think that a person could “over-do-it” when it comes to controlling his/her experiences? Explain your answer.

I don't understand the question. If their actions are too vigorous, say, then control will fail, so there is no benefit in "over-doing-it".

Leading questions:

1. I can feel it. I can't detect that my muscles are working; I can't "feel" my muscles directly. Yes.
2. No. No.
3. Yes, things "feel" heavy. No. I'm not aware of actions as perceptions.
4. No. No. No.
5. No.
6. Blink.
7. Yes, move head to right.
8. Yes, look up.
9. It does nothing (should something happen?).
10. To maintain the perception of the car between the white lines.
11. Well, not his intended behaviour.
12. Yes.
13. Throwing it at Tony Blair.
14. Putting it in a saucepan, having breakfast, satisfying hunger, providing energy, going to work, getting money, paying the bills, staying out of jail, having free time, acquiring knowledge, studying PCT, writing this email, building robots, creating robot army, world domination!
Regards,
Darth

···

On 29/07/2013 00:08, Richard Marken wrote:

[Rick Marken (2013.07.28.1610)]

Here's the study guide for Ch. 4.

Best

Rick