"Behavior as Control" Spreadsheet

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.05.1625)]

RM: Per Bruce Nevin’s suggestion I put the “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet up as a shared Google doc. You can get to it by clicking on this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit?usp=sharing

RM: I have added some rows (behaviors) to the existing file. These are taken from Table 1, p. 172 of LCS I, which actually served as a model for the present spreadsheet. The main difference between Table 1 and the present “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet is the inclusion in the latter of column for disturbances and controlled variable types. So I added disturbances and types to the behaviors that Bill had in his Table 1.

RM: Since I set this up as a “shared” spreadsheet I presume any additions and/or changes you make will permanently change the spreadsheet. So I will try to save a local copy of the latest version of the on-line spreadsheet each day, in case the changes have to be changed back. I guess we can see how it works.

RM: I would like to get as many examples of behavior as possible. The behaviors are anything for which there is a word or phrase that describes what a person is doing: walking, jumping rope, doing stand up comedy, campaigning as a Republican (but I repeat myself). I think going through the exercise of filling out the spreadsheet for a few behaviors should help you organize your thinking about the nature of behavior as control. After all, PCT is about the fact that the behavior of living systems is control and, therefore, must be explained by control theory. In order to understand any named behavior as a control process you have to be able to think about what variable(s) might be controlled, what the reference state of the variables might be, what actions can be taken to get the variable(s) to the reference state and maintained there protected from disturbances, and, finally, what are some of the things that can act as disturbances to the controlled variable.

RM: This is not easy to do – it’s certainly not easy for me. But learning is never really easy. Based on previous submissions I think it’s important to remember that a controlled variable is something that can vary – that can be in at least two different states. A car, for example, is not a variable. So you can’t control a car; but you can control variable aspects of a car – it’s speed, direction, cleanness, etc. Also, it’s important to remember that a disturbance is something independent of the control system that affects the state of the controlled variable. So, for example, doing poorly on a test is not a disturbance to the state of a test score (assume the test score is the controlled variable). Poor performance on the test is a result of the controller’s own lack of skill. What is a disturbance is the questions themselves.

RM: Try to keep these things in mind as you make your contributions to the spreadsheet. But do try to make contributions. Eventually we can discuss them on the net and see if people agree about what the controlled variables, references, actions and disturbances are for each of the behaviors entered. Hopefully we can then try to iteratively improve them and use them to help people understand what we mean when we say that behavior is control and that’s why control theory (in the form of PCT) is the only appropriate theory of the behavior of living systems.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

RM:
I presume any additions and/or changes you make will permanently change the spreadsheet. So I will try to save a local copy of the latest version of the on-line spreadsheet each day, in case the changes have to be changed back.

BN:

This is not necessary. You can view any prior revision with File >See Revision History. While viewing an earlier revision, you can see a record of all edits made, and you have the option to Restore this revision.

···

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

RM: Per Bruce Nevin’s suggestion I put the “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet up as a shared Google doc. You can get to it by clicking on this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit?usp=sharing

RM: I have added some rows (behaviors) to the existing file. These are taken from Table 1, p. 172 of LCS I, which actually served as a model for the present spreadsheet. The main difference between Table 1 and the present “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet is the inclusion in the latter of column for disturbances and controlled variable types. So I added disturbances and types to the behaviors that Bill had in his Table 1.

RM: Since I set this up as a “shared” spreadsheet I presume any additions and/or changes you make will permanently change the spreadsheet. So I will try to save a local copy of the latest version of the on-line spreadsheet each day, in case the changes have to be changed back. I guess we can see how it works.

RM: I would like to get as many examples of behavior as possible. The behaviors are anything for which there is a word or phrase that describes what a person is doing: walking, jumping rope, doing stand up comedy, campaigning as a Republican (but I repeat myself). I think going through the exercise of filling out the spreadsheet for a few behaviors should help you organize your thinking about the nature of behavior as control. After all, PCT is about the fact that the behavior of living systems is control and, therefore, must be explained by control theory. In order to understand any named behavior as a control process you have to be able to think about what variable(s) might be controlled, what the reference state of the variables might be, what actions can be taken to get the variable(s) to the reference state and maintained there protected from disturbances, and, finally, what are some of the things that can act as disturbances to the controlled variable.

RM: This is not easy to do – it’s certainly not easy for me. But learning is never really easy. Based on previous submissions I think it’s important to remember that a controlled variable is something that can vary – that can be in at least two different states. A car, for example, is not a variable. So you can’t control a car; but you can control variable aspects of a car – it’s speed, direction, cleanness, etc. Also, it’s important to remember that a disturbance is something independent of the control system that affects the state of the controlled variable. So, for example, doing poorly on a test is not a disturbance to the state of a test score (assume the test score is the controlled variable). Poor performance on the test is a result of the controller’s own lack of skill. What is a disturbance is the questions themselves.

RM: Try to keep these things in mind as you make your contributions to the spreadsheet. But do try to make contributions. Eventually we can discuss them on the net and see if people agree about what the controlled variables, references, actions and disturbances are for each of the behaviors entered. Hopefully we can then try to iteratively improve them and use them to help people understand what we mean when we say that behavior is control and that’s why control theory (in the form of PCT) is the only appropriate theory of the behavior of living systems.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.07.1650)]

···

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Bruce Nevin bnhpct@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
I presume any additions and/or changes you make will permanently change the spreadsheet. So I will try to save a local copy of the latest version of the on-line spreadsheet each day, in case the changes have to be changed back.

BN:

This is not necessary. You can view any prior revision with File >See Revision History. While viewing an earlier revision, you can see a record of all edits made, and you have the option to Restore this revision.

RM: Cool!

Wish some people would try adding some stuff.

Best

Rick

/BN

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Here’s one to add:

The balancing tight rope walker.

The semi-circular canals in the walker’s ears detect not force, but acceleration. The brain then runs Newton’s laws in reverse to determine the force. Something worthy of a demo.

···

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
BN:

Best

Rick

/BN

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.09.1115)]

···

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

PY: Here’s one to add [to the Behavior is Control spreadsheet]:

RM:I think it would be nice if you tried to add it yourself.

PY: The balancing tight rope walker.

RM: Good, “Balancing on a tightrope” is a behavior. Now just input the controlled variable(s), reference state (s), action(s) and disturbance(s)?

PY: The semi-circular canals in the walker’s ears detect not force, but acceleration.

RM: You might want to think about that a bit. What might be the problem for the tightrope walker if s/he were controlling acceleration?

PY: The brain then runs Newton’s laws in reverse to determine the force.

RM: This is called an “inverse kinematics” approach to explaining how control works. It’s the popular alternative to the PCT approach. It’s very mathematically intensive but, alas, if it were actually the way a tight rope walker maintained her/his balance s/he would not get more than a couple feet onto the tightrope before falling. Can you think of why?

PY: Something worthy of a demo.

RM: Actually, the inverted pendulum demo is a demonstration of the PCT approach to maintaining balance. A copy of the program is available here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31298693/InvtPend.exe

RM: The demo is discussed on pp. 164-166 of LCS IV. A more heavily mathematical treatment (courtesy of Richard Kennaway) is given on pp. 184-188 of the same tome.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

RM:
BN:

Best

Rick

/BN

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

RM: This is called an “inverse kinematics” approach to explaining how control works. It’s the popular alternative to the PCT approach. It’s very mathematically intensive but, alas, if it were actually the way a tight rope walker maintained her/his balance s/he would not get more than a couple feet onto the tightrope before falling. Can you think of why?

PY: I cannot think of why. Is it too slow? The inverted pendulum is not the same as the tightrope walk because the pendulum uses a moving platform and the tightrope walker uses a counterbalance.

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.10.0955)]

···

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:26 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

PY: I cannot think of why. Is it too slow? The inverted pendulum is not the same as the tightrope walk because the pendulum uses a moving platform and the tightrope walker uses a counterbalance.

RM: The reason inverse kinematics (a version of “modern control theory”) won’t work is explained on pp. 2-6 (the section on MCT – Modern Control Theory). The main reason (which is implied but not explicitly mentioned in that section) is that the “inverse kinematics” approach to control can’t deal with unpredictable (and usually undetectable) disturbances to the controlled variable(s).

RM: And on that note can you think of why acceleration might not be the best variable to control if you are trying to balance on a tightrope?

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com