Behavior is control (was Re: The controlled quantity (q.i) is data...)

Down

image001177.png

···

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2018 7:48 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Behavior is control (was Re: The controlled quantity (q.i) is data…)

[Rick Marken 2018-06-09_10:45:23]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Bruce Nevin csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

RM: all purposeful behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities. That’s what we mean when we say that behavior is control.

RM: So learning to see purposeful behavior as control (that is, to see behavior as the behavior of controlled quantities) is really the essential first step in learning PCT.

BN: In my earliest readings and discussions of PCT with Bill and others I learned to distinguish the meaning of ‘behavior’ as we understand it in PCT from two other prevalent meanings of the word.

RM: My point is not about how to define behavior; it’s about how to see behavior as control.

HB : You are not lonely one. Most of the people on Earth are talking about “control of driving a car”, “control of children” or just think in that way, whether you can “control your life” or not, etc. Why you would be the exception and try to explain to people what they already know ? It’s much more difficult to understand that “Perception is controlled”.

RM : And that means learning how to see controlled quantities (or controlled variables).

HB : Right. Learning how to see (perceive) and control. That’s all that you can do.

BN: You say “behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities”. I’m sorry, Rick, I am unable to follow you there. I would not put those words together in that way, because behavior is control and controlled quantities do not control. Controlled quantities, being inanimate, ‘behave’ only in sense (a).

RM: Again, it’s not a matter of how words are put together;

HB : It does matter whether you call elephant a god or you say a dog to a fly. Nobody will understand you.

RM : it’s a matter of understanding the phenomenon that PCT explains – the phenomenon of control as it is seen in the behavior of living organisms.

HB : PCT is not about that. From the behavior of living beings it’s hard to see anything. But if you help yourself with your imagination and control inside organism, then you can understand many things.

Bill P :

Our only view of the real world is our view of the neural signals that represent it inside our own brains. When we act to make a perception change to our more desireble state – when we make the perception of the glass change from »on the table« to »near the mouth« - we have no direct knowledge of what we are doing to the reality that is the origin of our neural signal; we know only the final result, how the result looks, feels, smells, sounds, tastes, and so forth…It means that we produce actions that alter the world of perception…

RM :Controlled quantities (or controlled variables) are the central feature of this phenomenon. When I say that “behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities” all I am saying is that the behaviors we see and name – behaviors such as walking, talking and playing chess – are controlled quantities

HB : Walking, and talking and and playing chess and dancing are not “controlled quantites” but are the result of “error” signal which is the result of “control” process in comparator. Hence “Behavior : The control of perception”. How can “behavior” be a "controlled quantiy"in this sense ? So that’s why you think that you can control “behavior of other people” as you think of behavior as “controlled quantiy”.Â

Behavior itself can’t be a “controlled quantitty” but perception of the behavior can be. As you said. But then you agree that “Behavior” itself can’t be controlled. But perception of the behavior can.

RM : ….that are behaving in the sense that they are varying over time. So what we see as “walking” is controlled limb and body positions – controlled quantities – varying over time – behaving.

HB : Sorry Rick. You mean again “controlled quantites” and behavior outside happening at the same time. What we see is surely not controlled limb or body position. How you control it ? With controlling muscle tension ?

Bill P. (B:CP) :

Rather, the central problem has been to find out a plausible model which can behave at all…. For example it will be shown later that the brain does not command the muscles to act. That concept implies properties that the neuromuscular system simply does not have… There is just no way the brain can select a muscle tension that will produce one and only one behavioral effect, even if that tension is accurately produced. The result of this approcah is a model nearly devoid of specific behavioral content.

Boris

RM: consistent results that are produced in the face of disturbance are controlled quantities.

BN: Yes, a controlled quantity is the essential and crucial evidence that an organism is controlling a perception of the controlled quantity–but it is the control loop that is behaving.

RM: Sure, you can say that too. That is an appropriate description of the theory that explains behavior when it is seen as a control process. And the controlled quantity is not just the essential and crucial evidence that an organism is controlling a perception; it is the only evidence that it is doing that. Indeed, Powers observation that behavior is control – that behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities – is the reason why he was able to properly apply control theory to behavior, modeling it as the control of perception. Before Powers and the recognition that behavior is control, control theory was applied to behavior in stimulus-response terms; perception was seen as the cause of output. This is easy to do; the perceptual input is what we would call “error”, the comparison between reference and output being carried out in the environment, and this error drives (controls) the output, which is what is controlled.

BN: We can’t pick out one part of the loop and say that is what is behaving.

RM: When you are talking about a control loop you are already talking theory. We don’t see control loops. We don’t see control of perception. What we see (or can see if we learn how to look at behavior through control theory glasses) are controlled quantities. Everything we call “behaviors” are controlled quantities. The non-theoretical definition of behavior from a PCT perspective is “controlled quantities”.

Best

Rick

It’s kind of like the rhetorical device called synecdoche, taking a part of something for the whole. The commonplace (b) usage takes the output of the loop and calls it 'behavior. Saying that behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities just moves the synecdoche to another part of the loop, at another place in the environment.

/Bruce

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:40 PM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[Rick Marken 2018-06-06_19:40:05]

[Bruce Nevin 2018-06-05_12:09:33 ET]

BN: For the sake of those who might be interested in the context of that passage, it’s from p. 115 of LCS (the first collection). As Bill says in the quoted passage, “There is no need to think of all controlled quantities as simple physical variables: force, angle, position. Human beings are equipped to perceive not only such elementary variables, but highly complex functions of such variables.” The context of this passage is a general introduction to the notion of a perceptual hierarchy (reference 12 points to Hayek’s 1952 book for corroboration) and the notion of hierarchical control. He’s not talking about quantities measured in an experiment. And except at the very lowest level he’s not talking about immediate input from the environment.

RM: Right. He’s just talking about what controlled quantities are. Controlled quantities (which can also be called controlled variables) are rarely measured in experiments since so few people are doing PCT research. But it’s important to be able to recognize controlled quantities outside the lab (in everyday behavior) because PCT is based on the observation that all purposeful behavior is the behavior of controlled quantities. That’s what we mean when we say that behavior is control. By “we”, by the way, I mean Bill Powers and myself. Since (mindbogglingly) many fans of PCT here on CSGNet have been vehemently opposed to my claim that PCT is based on the idea that behavior is control and also reject the idea that Bill Powers would ever say such a thing, here’s post from Bill (trying, as usual, to set Martin Taylor straight) where he rather clearly does say such a thing:

From Bill Powers (2009.06.17.1623 MDT)]

Martin Taylor 2009.06.17.17.26 –

MT: …What misunderstanding of what control is do you perceive to be in the article?

BP: from my angle, the misunderstanding about control would be the idea that one has only the illusion of control (Ellen J. Langer’s idea in the cited book), so to make people happy it’s necessary only that they think they are in control. This contradicts the basic idea of PCT, that all behavior is control or an attempt to control. (emphasis mine)

RM: So learning to see purposeful behavior as control (that is, to see behavior as the behavior of controlled quantities) is really the essential first step in learning PCT. You can take this step by learning how to look at behavior through “control theory glasses” (https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qnd8qdqcadvz7x/PCTGlasses2002.pdf?dl=0). This is done by noticing that people (and other living organisms) are producing consistent results – such as opening doors, making breakfast, walking without tripping, etc – where such consistency is not expected due to the effects of disturbances. These consistent results that are produced in the face of disturbance are controlled quantities.

RM: It’s often difficult to see that consistently produced results are controlled quantities, particularly when the disturbances that should produce inconsistency and the compensatory actions that prevent this are invisible. This was the case for the curved movements produced in power law studies. For example, it’s hard to tell that the movements we see when a person traces out ellipses in the air with their finger are a controlled quantity. But when you look at this behavior through control theory glasses you can “see” that a consistent result – the elliptical movement trajectories – is being produced in the face of invisibly varying disturbances (the changing direction of the force of gravity on the arm, for one) that are being prevented from having an effect on the elliptical shape of these movement trajectories by precisely opposed muscle forces.

BN: The references I cited report a number of experiments. In the one that I singled out, q.i is from the subject’s point of view a one-syllable word that she hears herself repeating,

RM: It’s also a controlled quantity from an observer’s point of view. In general, the fact that people consistently produce the words they intend – the words being the consistently produced results – suggests that words are controlled quantities. Again, we can see this by looking through control theory glasses and realizing that these words are being consistently produced in the face of disturbances, such as transient changes in characteristics of the vocal tract. Indeed, Katseff, in the beginning of her dissertation, recognizes the fact that speaking is involves control when she says “…adults automatically and routinely adjust their speech production to accommodate their environments…”. Unfortunately, she didn’t understand the concept of a controlled quantity as being a function of environmental variables. So she wasn’t able do a more precise analysis of what the subjects were actually controlling. That is, she wasn’t able to do a more precise analysis of what the controlled quantity, q.i, was and, thus, what perception, p, the subjects were controlling.

BN: But to revert to the experiment by Katseff et al., of course they were uninformed about control theory. That’s not a surprise. But they did disturb a perceptual variable and record the subject acting so as to resist that disturbance. Lacking an understanding of control, they called this ‘compensation’. They were puzzled why subjects did not completely ‘compensate’ for the disturbance.

RM: This is where knowing PCT and reading the “Experimental Methods” chapter in B:CP would have helped. When a disturbance to a hypothetical controlled quantity has something close to the expected effect then the most reasonable explanation is that the hypothesis about the controlled quantity is wrong. In the Katseff these we find this graph:

cid:ii_ji3v3kyj0_163d7dade033a4fe

RM: This is a plot of the time course of “adaptation” for a single subject to a disturbance to the first (lowest) formant (F1) in the vowel component of the word “head”. The graph shows that the subject produced a lower frequency F1 formant when the disturbance – a 200 Hz digital upward shift in the heard formant – was introduced. The assumption here is that F1 is a controlled quantity. To test this they apply (gradually) the disturbance; the output that compensates for this disturbance is the actual frequency of F1 produced by the subject (“F1 produced”). The combination ofdisturbance and output is “F1 heard”.

RM: If F1 were a controlled quantity then the disturbance would have little effect; F1 would deviate very little from its undisturbed value ) of ~ 640 HZ (shown in the initial “no shift” part of the graph . But, in fact, the disturbance Is quite effective; F1 goes from ~ 640 Hz to ~ 790 Hz. This is less than the 200 Hz shift that would be expected if the subject made no attempt to compensate for the disturbance. But it certainly rules out F1 as a controlled quantity.

RM: Since the researchers noted that the subjects heard themselves pronouncing the word “head” properly even with the ineffectively compensated F1, my guess would be that the 200 Hz F1 shift was a disturbance to some aspect of the sound spectrum that is heard as the vowel in the word “head”, but that aspect was not F1. I would suggest that the next step in this research would be to come up with a new hypothesis about aspect of the sound spectrum that is controlled when producing the vowel in “head”. That is, the next step would be to come up with a new hypothesis about the controlled quantity, q.i, in this experiment. The hypothesis that F1 is the controlled quantity, q.i, can be rejected. An alternative hypothesis, such as q.i = F1/F2, would be where I would go next.

BN: They did surmise that it had to do with some kind of interference from perceptions of articulation of speech, but they had no way of saying how that ‘interference’ would work. The model that I sketched explains their results as conflict between control in two sensory modalities.

RM: That’s excellent. The model can provide a basis for hypotheses about the variables controlled when people produce consistent speech sounds. But a model is only as good as the results of testing it against data.

I think this research could serve as another good example of the problems that come from failure to understand that q.i is an aspect of the environment and not an objective property of it. But I may be wrong.

BN: In the experimental work that I pointed you to they did not have problems due to a conception that perceptual variables are present in the environment. They were quite aware of dealing with perceptual variables, as indeed is any linguist.

RM: What I meant is that they may have ended up being puzzled by the weak amount of compensation for the shift in F1 because they thought that F1 as an objective property of the environment that had to be one of the variables controlled in word production. When you can think of what is controlled – the controlled quantity – as some unknown function of variables in the environment then you can start doing the kind of research required to test the PCT model of purposeful behavior; research aimed at finding what function of environmental variables – in this case, what functions of the acoustic waveform and, possibly of the articulatory forces the produce this waveform – are the variables that are controlled in speech.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2018-06-11_08:53:00 UTC]

Â

Rick, that sounds a little strange, doesn’t

it?

First you find something in your perceptual

environment which appears to be controllede
(stabilized against disturbances). Then you test that it
really is so. And only after that you ask what subject can
perceive it and act upon it. This is of course possible, but
if I were researching some control system like a human being I
would first study what that system might perceive and act upon
and only after that whether it is controlling that or
something else (which it can perceive and act upon).

image001173.png

···

[Rick Marken 2018-06-10_22:36:19]

Â

[Bruce Nevin

2018-06-10_22:25:20 ET]

Â

RM>Â the
controlled quantity is not just the essential
and crucial evidence that an organism is
controlling a perception; it is the only  evidence
that it is doing that.Â

Â

BN:

I shied away from putting it in such absolute
terms, having in mind the need to demonstrate
that the organism is capable of perceiving the
controlled quantity, is in fact perceiving it,
is capable of affecting it, and is in fact
affecting it.

Â

RM: You never have to demonstrate

that the organism is capable of perceiving or is in
fact perceiving the controlled quantity. If you have
found that a variable (quantity) is under control then
whatever system is controlling it can certainly
perceive it. Indeed, the variable that you find to be
controlled – the controlled quantity – is presumably
defined by the perceptual functions of the system that
is controlling it. But once you have found that a
variable is under control then you do have to make
sure that the organism that appears to be controlling
it is indeed controlling it, and you do that by making
sure that the organism can and is affecting the state
of that controlled quantity.Â

Â

BestÂ

Â

Rick

Â

Â

Â

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:48

PM Richard Marken <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >
wrote:

[Rick Marken

2018-06-09_10:45:23]

Â

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018

at 7:27 PM, Bruce Nevin <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >
wrote:

Â

RM:Â all purposeful
behavior is the behavior of
controlled quantities.
That’s what we mean when we
say that behavior is
control.

Â

RM:Â So

learning to see purposeful
behavior as control (that
is, to see behavior as the
behavior of controlled
quantities) is really the
essential first step in
learning PCT.

Â

BN: In

my earliest readings and
discussions of PCT with Bill
and others I learned to
distinguish the meaning of
‘behavior’ as we understand it
in PCT from two other
prevalent meanings of the
word.

Â

Â RM: My point is

not about how to define behavior;
it’s about how to
see behavior as control. And
that means learning how to see
controlled quantities (or controlled
variables).Â

Â

BN: You

say “behavior is the behavior
of controlled quantities”. I’m
sorry, Rick, I am unable to
follow you there. I would not
put those words together in
that way, because behavior is
control and controlled
quantities do not control.
Controlled quantities, being
inanimate, ‘behave’ only in
sense (a).Â

Â

RM: Again, it's not

a matter of how words are put
together; it’s a matter of
understanding the
phenomenon that PCT explains –
the phenomenon of control as it is
seen in the behavior of living
organisms. Controlled quantities (or
controlled variables) are the central
feature of this phenomenon. When I say
that “behavior is the behavior of
controlled quantities” all I am saying
is that the behaviors we see and name
– behaviors such as walking, talking
and playing chess – are controlled
quantities that are behaving in the
sense that they are varying over time.
So what we see as “walking” is
controlled limb and body positions –
controlled quantities – varying over
time – behaving.Â

Â

RM:Â Â consistent

results that are
produced in the face of
disturbance are
controlled quantities.Â

Â

BN:

Yes, a controlled quantity is
the essential and crucial
evidence that an organism is
controlling a perception of
the controlled quantity–but
it is the control loop that is
behaving.

Â

RM: Sure, you can

say that too. That is an appropriate
description of the theory that
explains behavior when it is seen as a
control process. And the controlled
quantity is not just the essential and
crucial evidence that an organism is
controlling a perception; it is the only
evidence that it is doing that.
Indeed, Powers observation that
behavior is control – that behavior
is the behavior of controlled
quantities – is the reason why he was
able to properly apply control theory
to behavior, modeling it as the
control of perception. Before Powers
and the recognition that behavior is
control, control theory was applied to
behavior in stimulus-response terms;
perception was seen as the cause of
output. This is easy to do; the
perceptual input is what we would call
“error”, the comparison between
reference and output being carried out
in the environment, and this error
drives (controls) the output, which is
what is controlled.

Â

BN: We

can’t pick out one part of the
loop and say that is what is
behaving.

Â

RM: When you are

talking about a control loop you are
already talking theory. We don’t see
control loops. We don’t see control of
perception. What we see (or can see if
we learn how to look at behavior
through control theory glasses) are
controlled quantities. Everything we
call “behaviors” are controlled
quantities. The non-theoretical
definition of behavior from a PCT
perspective is “controlled
quantities”.Â

Â

Best

Â

Rick

Â

It's

kind of like the rhetorical
device called synecdoche,
taking a part of something for
the whole. The commonplace (b)
usage takes the output of the
loop and calls it 'behavior.
Saying that behavior is the
behavior of controlled
quantities just moves the
synecdoche to another part of
the loop, at another place in
the environment.Â

Â

/Bruce

Â

Â

On Wed, Jun

6, 2018 at 10:40 PM, Richard
Marken <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >
wrote:

[Rick

Marken
2018-06-06_19:40:05]

Â

[Bruce

Nevin
2018-06-05_12:09:33
ET]

Â

BN:

For the sake
of those who
might be
interested in
the context of
that passage,
it’s from p.
115 of LCS
(the first
collection).
As Bill says
in the quoted
passage,
“There is no
need to think
of all
controlled
quantities as
simple
physical
variables:
force, angle,
position.
Human beings
are equipped
to perceive
not only such
elementary
variables, but
highly complex
functions of
such
variables.”
The context of
this passage
is a general
introduction
to the notion
of a
perceptual
hierarchy
(reference 12
points to
Hayek’s 1952
book for
corroboration)
and the notion
of
hierarchical
control. He’s
not talking
about
quantities
measured in an
experiment.
And except at
the very
lowest level
he’s not
talking about
immediate
input from the
environment.Â

Â

RM:

Right. He’s just
talking about what
controlled
quantities are.
Controlled
quantities (which
can also be called
controlled
variables) are
rarely measured in
experiments since
so few people are
doing PCT
research. But it’s
important to be
able to recognize
controlled
quantities outside
the lab (in
everyday behavior)
because PCT is
based on the
observation that
all purposeful
behavior is the
behavior of
controlled
quantities. That’s
what we mean when
we say that* behavior is
contro* l. By
“we”, by the way,
I mean Bill Powers
and myself. Since
(mindbogglingly)
many fans of PCT
here on CSGNet
have been
vehemently opposed
to my claim that
PCT is based on
the idea that

•                                                    behavior is

control* and
also reject the
idea that Bill
Powers would ever
say such a thing,
here’s post from
Bill (trying, as
usual, to set
Martin Taylor
straight) where he
rather clearly
does say such a
thing:

Â

From Bill Powers

(2009.06.17.1623
MDT)]

Martin Taylor

2009.06.17.17.26 –

Â

MT: ...What

misunderstanding
of what
control is
do you
perceive to be
in the
article?
Â
BP: From my
angle, the
misunderstanding
about control
would be the
idea that one
has only the
illusion of
control (Ellen
J. Langer’s
idea in the
cited book),
so to make
people happy
it’s necessary
only that they
think they are
in control.
This
contradicts
the basic idea
of PCT, that ** all
behavior is
control or an
attempt to
control** .
(emphasis
mine)

Â

RM:

So learning to see
purposeful
behavior as
control (that is,
to see behavior as
the behavior of
controlled
quantities) is
really the
essential first
step in learning
PCT. You can take
this step by
learning how to
look at behavior
through “control
theory glasses” (https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qnd8qdqcadvz7x/PCTGlasses2002.pdf?dl=0 ).
This is done by
noticing that
people (and other
living organisms)
are producing
consistent results
– such as opening
doors, making
breakfast, walking
without tripping,
etc – where such
consistency is not
expected due to
the effects of
disturbances.
These consistent
results that are
produced in the
face of
disturbance are

•                                                    controlled

quantities*.Â

Â

RM:

It’s often
difficult to see
that consistently
produced results
are controlled
quantities,
particularly when
the disturbances
that should
produce
inconsistency and
the compensatory
actions that
prevent this are
invisible. This
was the case for
the curved
movements produced
in power law
studies. For
example, it’s hard
to tell that the
movements we see
when a person
traces out
ellipses in the
air with their
finger are a
controlled
quantity. But when
you look at this
behavior through
control theory
glasses you can
“see” that a
consistent result
– the elliptical
movement
trajectories – is
being produced in
the face of
invisibly varying
disturbances (the
changing direction
of the force of
gravity on the
arm, for one) that
are being
prevented from
having an effect
on the elliptical
shape of these
movement
trajectories by
precisely opposed
muscle forces.Â

Â

BN:

The references
I cited report
a number of
experiments.
In the one
that I singled
out, q.i is
from the
subject’s
point of view
a one-syllable
word that she
hears herself
repeating,

Â

RM:

It’s also a
controlled
quantity from an
observer’s point
of view. In
general, the fact
that people
consistently
produce the words
they intend – the
words being the
consistently
produced results
– suggests that
words are
controlled
quantities. Again,
we can see this by
looking through
control theory
glasses and
realizing that
these words are
being consistently
produced in the
face of
disturbances, such
as transient
changes in
characteristics of
the vocal tract.
Indeed, Katseff,
in the beginning
of her
dissertation,
recognizes the
fact that speaking
is involves
control when she
says “…adults automatically and
routinely adjust
their speech
production to
accommodate
their
environments…”.
Unfortunately,
she didn’t
understand the
concept of a
controlled
quantity as
being a function
of environmental
variables. So
she wasn’t able
do a more
precise analysis
of what the
subjects were
actually
controlling.
That is, she
wasn’t able to
do a more
precise analysis
of what the
controlled
quantity, q.i,
was and, thus,
what perception,
p, the subjects
were
controlling.Â

Â

BN:

But to revert
to the
experiment by
Katseff et
al., of course
they were
uninformed
about control
theory. That’s
not a
surprise. But
they did
disturb a
perceptual
variable and
record the
subject acting
so as to
resist that
disturbance.
Lacking an
understanding
of control,
they called
this
‘compensation’.
They were
puzzled why
subjects did
not completely
‘compensate’
for the
disturbance.

Â

RM:

This is where
knowing PCT and
reading the
“Experimental
Methods” chapter
in B:CP would have
helped. When a
disturbance to a
hypothetical
controlled
quantity has
something close to
the expected
effect then the
most reasonable
explanation is
that the
hypothesis about
the controlled
quantity is wrong.
In the Katseff
these we find this
graph:

Â

Â

RM:

This is a plot of
the time course of
“adaptation” for a
single subject to
a disturbance to
the first (lowest)
formant (F1) in
the vowel
component of the
word “head”. The
graph shows that
the subject
produced a lower
frequency F1
formant when the
disturbance – a
200 Hz digital
upward shift in
the heard formant
– was introduced.
The assumption
here is that F1 is
a controlled
quantity. To test
this they apply
(gradually) the
disturbance; the
output that
compensates for
this disturbance
is the actual
frequency of F1
produced by the
subject (“F1
produced”). The
combination
ofdisturbance and
output is “F1
heard”.Â

Â

RM:

If F1 were a
controlled
quantity then the
disturbance would
have little
effect; F1 would
deviate very
little from its
undisturbed value
) of ~ 640 HZ
(shown
in the initial
“no shift” part
of the graph
. But, in fact,
the disturbanceÂ
Is quite
effective; F1 goes
from ~ 640 Hz to ~
790 Hz. This is
less than the 200
Hz shift that
would be expected
if the subject
made no attempt to
compensate for the
disturbance. But
it certainly rules
out F1 as a
controlled
quantity.Â

Â

RM:

Since the
researchers noted
that the subjects
heard themselves
pronouncing the
word “head”
properly even with
the ineffectively
compensated F1, my
guess would be
that the 200 Hz F1
shift was a
disturbance to
some aspect of the
sound spectrum
that is heard as
the vowel in the
word “head”, but
that aspect was
not F1. I would
suggest that the
next step in this
research would be
to come up with a
new hypothesis
about aspect of
the sound spectrum
that is controlled
when producing the
vowel in “head”.Â
That is, the next
step would be to
come up with a new
hypothesis about
the controlled
quantity, q.i, in
this experiment.
The hypothesis
that F1 is the
controlled
quantity, q.i, can
be rejected. An
alternative
hypothesis, such
as q.i = F1/F2,
would be where I
would go next. Â

Â

BN:

They did
surmise that
it had to do
with some kind
of
interference
from
perceptions of
articulation
of speech, but
they had no
way of saying
how that
‘interference’
would work.
The model that
I sketched
explains their
results as
conflict
between
control in two
sensory
modalities.

Â

RM:

That’s excellent.
The model can
provide a basis
for hypotheses
about the
variables
controlled when
people produce
consistent speech
sounds. But a
model is only as
good as the
results of testing
it against data.Â

Â

RM> I think this

research could
serve as
another good
example of the
problems that
come from
failure to
understand
that q.i is an
aspect of the
environment
and not an
objective
property of
it. But I may
be wrong.Â

Â

BN:

In the
experimental
work that I
pointed you to
they did not
have problems
due to a
conception
that
perceptual
variables are
present in the
environment.
They were
quite aware of
dealing with
perceptual
variables, as
indeed is any
linguist.

Â

RM:

What I meant is
that they may have
ended up being
puzzled by the
weak amount of
compensation for
the shift in F1
because they
thought that F1 as
an objective
property of the
environment that
had to be one of
the variables
controlled in word
production. When
you can think of
what is controlled
– the controlled
quantity – as
some unknownfunction of
variables in the
environment then
you can start
doing the kind of
research required
to test the PCT
model of
purposeful
behavior; research
aimed at finding
what function of
environmental
variables – in
this case, what
functions of the
acoustic waveform
and, possibly of
the articulatory
forces the produce
this waveform –
are the variables
that are
controlled in
speech.

Â

BestÂ

Â

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection

is achieved
not when you
have nothing
more to add,
but when you

have nothing

left to take
away.�

Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â 

Â
  --Antoine
de
Saint-Exupery

Â

Â

Richard

S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection

is achieved not
when you have
nothing more to
add, but when
you

have nothing

left to take
away.�

Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â 

Â
–Antoine de
Saint-Exupery

Â

Richard S.

MarkenÂ

"Perfection

is achieved not when you have
nothing more to add, but when
you

Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â