Better Things to Do

[From Kenny Kitzke (2004.06.22.)]

<Bill Powers (2004.06.22.1007 MDT)>

<Oh, well. We have better things to do, right?>

I would hope so. And, I do.

My professional (semi) retirement of five years ended in June. I am returning to the field of management systems consulting and leadership development as my health permits.

I previously used much of PCT in my professional work. I plan to resume doing that, hopefully better equipped than ever before. So, I am looking forward to atttending the CSG Conference again and learning more first hand from other PCT-oriented collegues.

It has been my stated perception that CSGNet Moderation was not a good step. I favor self-control.

To the extent that some members can not, or will not, control their adhominem comments and treat others with respect and post professionally regarding PCT/HPCT issues, I have used the following approach. I usually repond only directly/privately to the offending person. And, I inform them that I no longer will repond to their posts on the CSGNet even when a specific post is noteworthy and professional, unless there is evidence of a willingness and ability to exercise self control.

That is the individual action everyone can take. It is like a society rule but without the formality. And, it seems to me, that if everyone on the list did that with an offensive poster, that poster would soon be talking to themselves. Most will eventually give up posting offensively, or reveal a type of insanity where they will be ignored, even by new PCTers.

I like all the ideas expressed about peer review where we stick to the PCT relevant issues and avoid people characterization or assume their unexpressed intent (something I would think any PCTer would be especially cognizant of not doing).

In my effort to resume my professional work, I have had the chance to discuss PCT with the VP People and Communication of a major corporation. I mentioned CSGNet but, to be honest, I pray he has not gone there to witness the kind of unsavory dialogue and accusation that has been prevalent. I did invite him to join us at the Conference. I expect to hear from him next week about that and a bunch of other suggestions for how to get a taste of your beautiful theory of behavior.

I do feel that speading what is already quite well documented and tested about PCT/HPCT among practitioners is every bit as important as trying to reach the academically elite (often with closed minds) at the universities such as Cambridge. Both may be necessary, but Revolutions, to be broadly spread, usually turn from the realm of the mind to actions in the environment. It is much easier to observe the actions on the environment than to observe the references in people’s minds. I think PCT has taught me that.

best regards,

kenny