Chess and planning (was Cognitive Science Goes Off the Tracks)

[From Bill Powers (2010.03.29.1559 MDT)]

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.29.1310 EDT) --

BP: Are you saying you don't have any experience of observing things, aside from the things themselves that are observed? You wouldn't be alone in making that claim, but I find it very hard to understand.

BG: I don't want to be obscure. As I look at it, the self is a story. A story spun by what the neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga calls the "know-it-all interpreter." The know-it-all has a story about everything. It is the "voice in our heads." The view that there is no self is hardly new. The Buddha said it thousands of years ago.

"Suffering alone exists, none who suffer.
The deed there is, but no doer thereof.
Nirvana, but none who seek it.
The Path, but none who travel it."

BP: I agree that there are "stories" we tell ourselves about things, but some stories have been skeptically tested more throughly than others. For example, the story that the moon is a round ball of rock 2000 miles in diameter has been tested by flying around it (or doing something that was experienced as flying around it), and standing on it, and so on. I think that elevates it to the status of a theory, at least. Stories are easy to make up; theories are not. You don't check a story out; theories are nothing unless checked against experiment and observation.

But there's something else about the stories in my head. I know about them; I can hear them in the mind's ear and see the illustrations in the mind's eye. In other words, I can observe them. There they are, and here I am attending to them. When I'm through attending to them I can attend to something else that's already going on, like my breathing. I'm telling a story about this kind of experience because that's the only way to communicate it, but if I'm not trying to communicate it, I don't have to tell any story about it. I just experience it without trying to describe it.

You've seen Tim Carey's comment on this (which reached CSGnet just fine, Tim). He agrees that he observes, but says that the observing is another perception like all other perceptions. That's not a description of an experience, but more like a scientific theory. We don't observe neural signals in ourselves; theory tells us we do, but experience says nothing in that regard. Speaking as a theorist, I can agree that maybe it is a brain function like a perceptual input function, but if it is, it has some strange properties. At one moment I can be internally perceiving a pain in my toe where I kicked a rock by accident (intensity, sensation), and in the next moment I can be aware of someone laughing at my clumsiness and of my evaluation of my relationship with that person, and for the moment take my attention off the pain. I feel like the same observer in either case. What sort of neural circuit could do that kind of thing? Such a circuit would have to have perceptual input connections from a great many systems at each level from bottom to top. There would have to be an immense switching system to select which of the possible lower-order signals were to be accepted and perceived by awareness and the switching would be directed somehow -- it seems like an act of will, but without any willing entity, all we could say is that the strongest signal causes switching to be directed to it, somehow, with no internal motivation to do so. I don't think any such connection network has ever been found in the brain or built into an artificial control system.

That's what I meant by saying it sounds like S-R. A control system is a piece of machinery and it can behave only as it is made to behave by reference signals and perceptual signals. There is neither volition nor consciousness in any control system I have seen, either artificial or natural. The fact that living control systems are made of soft materials rather than silicon or glass and copper doesn't endow them with consciousness. The only observer of the workings of a thermostat is the person examining it. It has no consciousness of its own that I know of. I have built temperature controllers of several kinds, and they all worked fine without any consciousness, though they couldn't learn or set their own reference levels.

BG: Interestingly, the Buddha's psychological insight is consistent with contemporary neuroscience. There is no "I" in the brain as far as we can tell.

BP: There are no sensations or system concepts or ideas or colors or pains in the brain, either, as far as neuroscience can tell. Those terms are descriptions of experiences, not trains of neural impulses or concentrations of neurotransmitters. Neural impulses look the same anywhere in the brain. I would rather call the Buddha's insight his theory or proposition; to call it an insight implies that it is the apprehension of something that is known to be true, and that there is no use doubting it, which is not the case when it comes to the presence or absence of an I. Uttering a statement with an air of great confidence doesn't make it true, even if the person uttering it is an Indian prince.

BG: The hierarchy alone exists, none who observe it.

BP: That's what I mean. What is missing from that proposition is " ... because..." and a suitable attempt to demonstrate that this is true. It's just a proposition, which I feel perfectly free to doubt.

BG: Here is a quote from Oliver Sachs that may be helpful (or perhaps not).

�Thus, in one patient under my care, a sudden thrombosis in the posterior circulation of the brain caused the immediate death of the visual parts of the brain. Forthwith this person became completely blind�but did not know it. He looked blind, but he made no complaints. Questioning and testing showed, beyond doubt, that not only was he centrally or �cortically� blind, but he had lost all visual images, and memories, lost them totally�yet had no sense of any loss. Indeed, he had lost the very idea of seeing�and was not only unable to describe anything visually, but bewildered when I used words such as �seeing� and �light.� He had become, in essence, a non-visual being. His entire lifetime of seeing, of visuality, had, in effect, been stolen. His whole visual life had, indeed, been erased�and erased permanently in the instant of his stroke."

BP: An excellent argument for the local, rather than central, storage of memories. However, it has nothing to do with awareness or consciousness, because it describes what has been lost and therefore what is no longer accessible to observation. The "idea of seeing" is an idea, activity in the brain. If that activity stops, there is no idea of seeing available to observation even though awareness still functions, just as when you close your eyes, there is no visual image to observe even though the eyes are still functioning. The loss of all memories of ever having had vision is sufficiently strange that I'd like to get some verification on that before accepting it as a fact, but if indeed the memory traces had been erased as Sacks says, they would not be there to be observed, even with the observer still functioning.

BG: I won't pretend this view is easy or obvious. It is like mathematics. As John von Neumann observed, "You don't understand mathematics; you just get used to it."

It takes quite a bit of practice to get used to it.

I suppose one can believe anything by trying long enough to believe it, but that's not how I prefer to work. Give me a reason for getting used to it and I might try it. But I don't believe important statements just because someone makes them. Even if I make them.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.03.30.1033 EDT]

[From Bill Powers (2010.03.29.1559 MDT)]

You've seen Tim Carey's comment on this (which reached CSGnet just fine, Tim).

BG: I'm afraid I have not seen it. Perhaps it reached you but not CSGnet.

He agrees that he observes, but says that the observing is another perception like all other perceptions. That's not a description of an experience, but more like a scientific theory. We don't observe neural signals in ourselves; theory tells us we do, but experience says nothing in that regard. Speaking as a theorist, I can agree that maybe it is a brain function like a perceptual input function, but if it is, it has some strange properties. At one moment I can be internally perceiving a pain in my toe where I kicked a rock by accident (intensity, sensation), and in the next moment I can be aware of someone laughing at my clumsiness and of my evaluation of my relationship with that person, and for the moment take my attention off the pain. I feel like the same observer in either case. What sort of neural circuit could do that kind of thing? Such a circuit would have to have perceptual input connections from a great many systems at each level from bottom to top. There would have to be an immense switching system to select which of the possible lower-order signals were to be accepted and perceived by awareness and the switching would be directed somehow -- it seems like an act of will, but without any willing entity, all we could say is that the strongest signal causes switching to be directed to it, somehow, with no internal motivation to do so. I don't think any such connection network has ever been found in the brain or built into an artificial control system.

BG: Since this observer is not included in the PCT model, it is not possible to say exactly what it does or how it does it. The PCT story seems to be a marriage of dualism and control theory. I am not sure it is a happy marriage, but I will try not to disturb it.

Bruce

[From Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1014 MDT)]

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.30.1033 EDT) –

BG: Since this observer is
not included in the PCT model, it is not possible to say exactly what it
does or how it does it.

I’ve been trying to characterise what it does for some years (like 50).
It’s not in the PCT model because I don’t know how it works or even what
its physical nature is. I can say, and have said, what I think are some
of the things it does, and I experience it continuously while awake and
sometimes while sleeping, but obviously the “how” remains
unknown to me.

The PCT story seems to be
a marriage of dualism and control theory.

What’s wrong with dualism? Are you really sure that people who say there
is no observer, only the observed, aren’t just lacking a level of
perception, as color-blind people lack a type of color receptor?

Why do you say ugly condescending things like “I am not sure it is a
happy marriage, but I will try not to disturb it”?

Tim Cary’s message appended below.

Best,

Bill P.

Hiya Bill and Bruce
(I don’t think this will work to the CSGnet though Bill so you might have
to send it on on my behalf),

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.29.1105 EDT) –

BG: That’s interesting. I would have said that the hierarchy IS the
self in PCT. There is also a “ghost” called “the
observer,” but like all ghosts it tends to vanish in the
light.
TC:

Yep, that sounds like something I might say (although BG said it
better than I probably would have!).

BP:
So when I claim to be an observer of perceptions, how do you evaluate
that claim?

TC:
In the same way I’d evaluate a claim if you claimed to be an observer
of colour or relationships or behaviour.

BP:
Are you saying you don’t have any experience of observing things,
aside from the things themselves that are observed?

TC:
Yep, I have an experience of being an Observer. It can actually get
quite trippy. If I get the Observer experience happening and then try to
observe that and then observe that and then observe that … it’s a lot
of fun (for a nerdy dork like myself :-))

BP: You
wouldn’t be alone in making that claim, but I find it very hard to
understand. I can understand how perceptual signals can exist without
being in conscious awareness – there must be a large number of those.
But if there’s no observer, what is awareness when a perception is
conscious?

TC: I think of
consciousness as a type of perception that’s in awareness. It’s the
perception “I am aware”

BP:
Who is it who knows about the perceptual signal? If there’s no
one, it seems to me that there must be only stimuli and responses, with
no conscious entity required at all. That’s the logical conclusion, but
it clashes with my direct
experience.

TC: I don’t
understand the leap from “there’s no-one who knows about the
perceptual signal” to “there must be only stimuli and
responses”. I thought it was negative feedback and circular
causality that disproved the S-R idea not the idea that there was an
Observer of perceptual signals.

BP:
To me, the
answer seems very simple. It doesn’t arise from logic but from direct
experience. I am the one who knows; I have a sense of knowing the thing
known, which is different from me. That makes it hard to grasp how the
world looks to a person who says there is no observer – it’s hard to
understand how that person could even tell me that a perception is
occurring if that person isn’t observing the perception.

TC: I have all
these experiences too Bill and (once more) for the record, I have never
maintained that there is no Observer. I have just maintained that the
experience of “having a sense of knowing” is just like the
experience of “red” - it’s just another perception. The point
where you and I disagree is on the “entity” that does the
knowing. You have maintained (at least as far as I understand it) that
there is a separate entity that is the Observer self. My position is that
the experience of “Observing” can be handled with all the
architecture that is currently present in the PCT model. The experience
of “Observing” is a perception like any other perception. It’s
different in quality but the perceptions of “on” and
“honesty” are different in quality too.

If the proposal
that awarness follows reorganization is correct then that implies that
systems in awareness are always being reorganized to some degree. Perhaps
the sense of “I” or “knowing” or
“observing” is a feature of reorganization.

I don’t like
that idea so much because, if all living things reorganize that would
imply they all have a sense of “I” and I’m not prepared to go
down that path yet (That reminds me of the joke … What’s the last thing
that goes through a grasshopper’s mind when he hits your windscreen? …
His ass!). So that’s where I get left with the idea that the sense of
“Observing” is perhaps a feature of our hierarchical system
(maybe higher order primates in general??).

It’s not special
because it’s a separate entity to the hierarchy (and therefore could be a
part of all living control systems) it’s special because it’s a feature
of our hierarchy.

BP:
When there are memories or thoughts in your mind, how do you know
they are there, if you don’t observe that they are there? If you observe
that they are there, who or what is doing that observing? It seems clear
that I am the one observing, and the thought or memory is the object of
observation. But that doesn’t seem clear to you, if I interpret what you
say correctly.

TC: Yep, it’s
clear to me. I just think the perception of observing that they are there
is a perception not a separate entity doing the observing.

BP:
I’m
cc-ing this to Tim Carey, because he and I have argued on the same
subject, and he seems to take your position. Can either of you help me to
understand what that position is and perhaps experience it? And of course
I ask anyone who agrees with you to help,
too.

TC: From the
little snippet I’ve seen I don’t know if I take Bruce’s position or not
but, yep, this is something we’ve argued about. It’s also something I
very quickly get out of my depth about so, once I’ve explained my
position, there’s rarely anything left to say.

There is a
branch of consciousness study that supports the idea of no central
“I” or “Observer”. Daniel Dennett is perhaps the most
recent author to write on this topic. I don’t know alot about this area
of research but I don’t think he’s considered mainstream. The most common
idea seems to be that there is a central observer. Buddhism is another
approach that puts forward the “No self” idea of consciousness.

Interesting
stuff.

Tim

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.03.30.1330 EDT)]

Why do you say ugly condescending things like “I am not sure it is a
happy marriage, but I will try not to disturb it”?

I give up. I seem unable to say anything that does not upset you. I will heed Wittgenstein’s admonition, “Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent.”

Bruce

[From Rick Marken (2010.03.30.1410)]

Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1014 MDT) to Bruce Gregory (2010.03.30.1033 EDT) --

Why do you say ugly condescending things like "I am not sure it is a happy
marriage, but I will try not to disturb it"?

How would he know? "He" (the observer) isn't there; just the things
"he" (the hierarchy) says.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1635 MDT)]

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.30.1330 EDT)]

BP earlier: Why do you say ugly condescending things like "I am not sure it is a happy marriage, but I will try not to disturb it"?

BG: I give up. I seem unable to say anything that does not upset you. I will heed Wittgenstein's admonition, "Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent."

BP: OK, with that preamble out of the way, how about trying to tell me what's wrong with dualism? You're the philosopher. As I understand it, it was originally an argument between science and religion, but as that doesn't apply here, I presume there must be some other reasons as well for rejecting it. I can be aware of looking through a telescope at the same time I'm admiring Saturn's rings, so why can't I be aware of my eyes at the same time I'm looking through the telescope, or aware of seeing at the same time I'm aware of my eyes looking through the telescope, and so on?

When I first started exploring these phenomena, of course I ran into the usual infinite regress stuff. I'm thinking. Now I'm thinking about that thought. Now I'm thinking about thinking about that thought ... After a dozen times through that loop, I thought "So that's what infinite regress is like -- it's just doing the same thing over and over indefinitely." When I saw the principle, it was like seeing that a convergent series approaches a final value: "That's an infinite loop. It's nothing more than going around and around the same loop. I don't have to go on doing that." That a solution to a lot of paradoxes, like the card that says, on both sides, "the statement on the other side is false."

It's the "I" that one gets hung up on. That "I" is just a point of view. It's not the Observer, either. It's just monkey-chatter as they call it in Zen. You can make it chatter about anything you want, or just let it run on while you go on to other topics. It has its uses, but it's not the top of the hierarchy. It's just activity in the hierarchy that I can be aware of.

Anyway, that's how I got to my ideas about awareness. When I read that this is dualism and we're not supposed to do it, I wonder why not.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.03.31.0900 EDT)]

[From Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1635 MDT)]

BP: OK, with that preamble out of the way, how about trying to tell me what’s wrong with dualism?

BG: http://www.wishfulthink.org/page47/page21/page21.html

[From Rick Marken (2010.03.31.0820)]

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.31.0900 EDT)

Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1635 MDT)]

BP: OK, with that preamble out of the way, how about trying to tell me

what's wrong with dualism?

BG:�http://www.wishfulthink.org/page47/page21/page21.html

RM: Thanks. That explains everything.

Best

Rick

···

---
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.03.31.1127 EDT)]

[From Rick Marken (2010.03.31.0820)]

Bruce Gregory (2010.03.31.0900 EDT)

Bill Powers (2010.03.30.1635 MDT)]

BP: OK, with that preamble out of the way, how about trying to tell me
what’s wrong with dualism?

BG: http://www.wishfulthink.org/page47/page21/page21.html

RM: Thanks. That explains everything.

I thought it might.

Bruce

[From Martin Lewitt (2010.03.31.1305 MDT)]

I did some reading a few decades back on consciousness, Julian Jaynes
proposed the “The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the
Bicameral Mind”, which I thought presented an interesting but probably
unverifiable hypothesis. What I retained from it though was an
appreciation for Ecclesiastes. This wikipedia article does a fair
summary:

If the intro is correct, the hypothesis is receiving further attention.
Since the other great apes are also thought to be self-conscious by
their response to the mirror test, they would have to have some
non-language based analogue to auditory commands… Urges and impulses
can seem more visceral than auditory, so perhaps these are the
“commands” without language.
There must be analogues or antecedents in the animal world for what
goes on in human consciousness, it is interesting to think what those
might be for each of the functions of consciousness:
Martin L

···

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_%28psychology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscious#Functions_of_Consciousness