Conflict (Errata 2 and Question)

[From Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1640)]

Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1620)

It's my open loop control demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/OpenLoop.html). When the target cursor disappears you are controlling the perceived position of the cursor relative to the imagined position of the target.

Should be:

It's my open loop control demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/OpenLoop.html). When the CURSOR disappears you are controlling the perceived position of the TARGET relative to the imagined position of the CURSOR.

By the way, I highly recommend that you (Dag and anyone else interested in the role of imagination in control) try this demo (in integral control mode) so that people can see what control of an imagination-based perception is like and how good the control is. And then you can make up you own mind about how much of the controlling you do during the day is likely to be based on imagination. Mr. Magoo is excluded from this invitation, of course.

Dag Forssell (2007.01.15.1540)--

Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1400)--

I think we should be able to agree, however, that conflict is _never_ the result of "perceiving things differently".

This emphatic statement reminds me of the 20 or so reasons Rick came up with a year and a half ago to demonstrate that imagination _never_ entered into perception.

So I presume that in the course I am teaching on PCT, when I get to the section on conflict (several weeks down the road) you would say that I should teach them something like the following: PCT shows that conflict occurs when people perceive the same situation differently. If I'm going to teach this I have to know how this conclusion is derived from the PCT model. Could you send me a couple paragraphs -- or better, a working model demonstration -- that shows how this conclusion about the cause of conflict is derived from PCT?

Thanks.

Rick

ยทยทยท

---
Richard S. Marken Consulting
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400