Insect Control Systems

[From Bill Powers (2007.01.21.0730 MST)]

Sometimes the scientific literature is just so irritating that I can't stand it for another second. This example is in Nature, Vol. 445, 18 January 2007, page 250 ff: "Working out the Bugs". Some of the observations are useful, but the underlying model is just so naive that it would make any PCTer nauseated. This quote should tell the story:

"These disabled roaches have helped Ritzmann develop a hypothesis that the insect brain goes through three distinct mental steps when it confronts an obstacle: it must detect the block, decide that it would be appropriate to turn, and then decide which way to turn."

I sure hope Richard Kennaway gets funding to build a robot pretty soon. Or Bruce Abbott. Or SOMEBODY!!!

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2007.01.21.1120)]

Bill Powers (2007.01.21.0730 MST)]

Sometimes the scientific literature is just so irritating that I can't stand it for another second.

I have no sympathy. Try being back on campus. Psychology is the same as it was when you tried grad school, they just have fancier equipment;-) But the co-eds are a lot cuter, and younger;-)

Best

Rick

···

--

Richard S. Marken Consulting
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.01.21)]

<Bill Powers (2007.01.21.0730 MST)>

<Sometimes the scientific literature is just so irritating that I
can’t stand it for another second. This example is in Nature, Vol.
445, 18 January 2007, page 250 ff: “Working out the Bugs”. Some of
the observations are useful, but the underlying model is just so
naive that it would make any PCTer nauseated.>

I agree. These incompetent scientists are almost as nauseating as those incompetent Republicans. What is a PCTer to do while living among them? :sunglasses:

Other than that irritation, you seem to be doing pretty well still working hard, speaking and traveling. I am glad for that sans Mary. It is inspiring.

I assume you saw that I wrote our Chinese PCTers about the 2007 Conference and the student scholarships? I have not had a reply (did not really expect one immediately) but will be watching for that and hope the 2007 Conference is as memorable as the last one in China. I shall never forget it. Are you keeping in touch with them and do you expect a professor contingent to come to the Conference?

BTW, while it is annoying to see how blind the scientists and academics (theorists) are, I could write a horror story book about what goes on in the business world in application of “scientific” psychology theory. It does make you sick. I was put on a Strategic Team (#1 Issue) to help improve the motivation of the employees. I was so apalled by what they wanted to do, I asked the President to be removed! Guess what, not only have they not discoved anything to help permanently, now they are all upset at me for disagreeing with the team! So I guess I demotivated them! Seems like heads I lose, tails I Iose. And, not just me, the employees too. Oh the trials of a PCTer.

[From Bill Powers (2007.01.22.0718 MSWT)]

Bo Wang (2007.01.22) --

There was somebody working on such project using PCT, some real robots.
I don't know whether he joined CSGnet or not.

Here's his homepage:
Hexapod project main

Thanks, Bo. I may get in touch with him, but just to say hello. I really do have to work on my book now. Good luck with your exams!

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2007.01.22.0721 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke (2007.01.21) --

I assume you saw that I wrote our Chinese PCTers about the 2007 Conference and the student scholarships? I have not had a reply (did not really expect one immediately) but will be watching for that and hope the 2007 Conference is as memorable as the last one in China. I shall never forget it. Are you keeping in touch with them and do you expect a professor contingent to come to the Conference?

You know as much as I do. No word from them yet. Keep us posted.

Best,

Bill P.