most difficult obstacle for me with PCT

[From Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.25.2100 EST)]

<Bill Powers (2008.01.22.0958 EST)>

In a message dated 1/22/2008 11:08:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, powers_w@FRONTIER.NET writes:

The disturbing hole in PCT theory which you have revealed, is why and how does a person change their references?  Don't people control their references, their purpose.  Of course they do!  And, PCT has a limited view of how this happens.  It suggests there is a "reorganization" system distinct from the hierarchal control system, that by random experimentation finds a new control system configuration to deal with an error, usually construed to be a conflict.

But, this is not modeled or understood well in PCT by Bill Powers or anyone else.  I think it is fair to say that people are not looking for a theory of behavior to help explain how to drive a car the way you want to under changing conditions or how to keep a cursor on a line when random disturbances move the line.

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.22.0958 EST)]

Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.180} –

<Kenny, this comment puzzles me because HPCT definitely accounts for setting and changing reference conditions at all levels except the top one, system concepts in my way of accounting. And those reference conditions can change, if only slowly, through reorganization (and perhaps volitionally in an experimental way). So what you say in the above two paragraphs doesn’t seem to be true for most of the hierarchy.>
Bill, it is the exception that I am talking about. I understand that the higher levels 1-10 probably do change more slowly than the lower ones in the perceptional control hierarchy. But, if that hierarchy does not establish the Level 11 references, and some other functional human system does, how do you know it can’t change them quickly? You don’t think that after the death of a spouse, a person can wake up the next morning with a different self purpose for themselves, perhaps a new one they simply select that changes what they do for as long as they live?

I suspect people will only be interested in a new theory of behavior via scientific psychology can help people with the real errors that cause pain, not just physical pain, but emotional pain and dissatisfaction with one's emotions and purposes in life.  As humans we have longings (matters of the heart) that appear to be hard wired into some human system.  Do we learn over time that we want to be appreciated, respected or loved?  Does it take time to learn by random reorganization that it feels as good to help others in need as it does to be helped?

<I also don’t understand this comment. In my theory, emotion (such as psychological pain and other discomforts) arises as a consequence of large and persistent error signals in the hierarchy, so any time there is a significant difference between perception and reference, an emotion will appear (probably a negative emotion). It’s a perfectly “real” emotion relating to pain or dissatisfaction. Why do you think it’s not?>
What about purpose, like wanting to perceive myself as the most generous person in my stingy family. That is not really a temporary emotion issue like stress or fear.

<I don’t think you can claim to know what “matters of the heart” are wired in, and I’m sure you don’t believe they literally originate in the heart muscles.>
Bill, Valentine’s Day is coming up. Did you think that it about arteries?

Matters of the heart involve what you might call intrinsic human attitude needs, like the need for companionship and worth in the eyes of others. Don’t you think lonliness is a self-generated disturbance to one’s worth or purpose in life?

< Learning to find satisfaction in giving as well as receiving is not automatic and universal, but has to come out of experience, so yes, random reorganization is quite likely to result in that sort of thing if it appears in a given individual (it certainly doesn’t show up in every individual,>
You may be right on that one. But, I sense those who live to “get” and do get in spades are far more likely to end up with a drug overdose (sometimes purposeful) that kills them than those who are happy to give what they don’t need to someone who has nothing. They are not on the suicide danger list. It is not clear if you find that out by experience or have an urge, an instinct, then act and find that action satisfies a reference perception already there.

< and anyway it is not ALWAYS more blessed to give than receive --ask a conservative Christian what he thinks about giving welfare aid to the poor).>
OK ask me, privately. I am blessed beyond measure. Do you really want to know and understand or just cast everyone with that net?

< I do think we, or some of us, do learn that we want to be appreciated, respected, and loved, as long as the respect, appreciation, and love are real and appropriate in our eyes. But do any two people agree on exactly what those words mean?>
I somehow got the impression that we are autonomous control systems and unique human beings. All it takes is one person, one by one to explain their behavior. The meanings that matter are inside you, your inner man. My inner man knows. It may be in his genes. Ask your Observer how he determined he liked observing you being appreciated.

I think you’re taking it for granted that just because you value certain experiences, they are the same experiences everyone else values, and that you didn’t learn the need for them but were born that way. I dont’ see any reason to assume that.
You surely should not see any reason to assume that for me. I do my own. You can do yours. We do not need to have the same references or experiences. Thank God. By the way, is it your position that all experience perceptions must come before the reference perceptions?

<The question here is just how much organization we are born with and how much we acquire through interacting with others and the physical world in one lifetime. I don’t make any assumptions about that – that’s the sort of thing we will find out as we study more about human beings. I don’t think that you or anyone else knows the answers to that question.>
My point would simply be that until you do, you have not described the nature of human beings. At best you have described the nature of human behavior, valuable no doubt, but not complete. I want more of the knowledge, understanding and wisdom about such things. I think you do too. It would be nice to work on it cooperatively…you know that feeling of companionship that you learned was good along the way. :sunglasses:

I think it is part of human nature to create goals and purpose for our lives.  It is not a random event.  It is an imaginative and deep inner searching activity for purpose and value.

<Certainly in HPCT the higher levels create goals and purposes for lower-level systems. The conscious search for purpose and value is one level of that process. But this search has to begin as a trial-and-error process because at first we have no idea what actions will result in a sense of purpose or value (whatever perceptions an individual means by those words). We simply have to try changing something, and if that makes things worse, change again. We retain the organization that makes our errors smaller, which is how we impose order on the results of these random changes.>
Please read and consider your own words. As I said earlier, how can trying things to see if it makes it worse or better be done if the reference is not already there??? Where did ones highest purpose come from before you experience/perceive it? It is the question I hope you will address. Dick thinks you should put forth your ideas so we can consider them carefully against both HPCT theory and our life experiences.

It may be hard wired, though you may be right that if so it takes time for us to bring these things into awareness and control. That might be an encouraging and converging concept? I am pretty sure I will have the time to get my thoughts together on this for a presentation at the Conference, probably called the Inner Man and its role in human nature. But, more likely, the Inner Man is establishing the references that control the mind that control the observable behavior of humans throughout life. I’ll bring ear plugs (action) to quell the laughter (disturbance). :sunglasses:

It is NOT part of the mental and nerve firing perception control system and therefore needs not to be in the HPCT model.

I’ll just say flatly that you don’t know that. How could you possibly know what aspects of experience are or are not part of brain operations?
The same way I know that the swallows did not learn where Capistrano is by randomly visiting there and liking it so much they solve their error in missing it by returning each year. Tell me again how HPCT explains instincts and how you know that fish and birds and animals have them but advanced humans do not.

It is a different human system called the Inner Man, the self, the heart the spirit of a human being. 

<So you say, but I don’t think you can defend that statement. It’s just something you believe, not a conclusion that observations and reason have forced you to accept. You seem to think this is a desirable conclusion that doesn’t need justification, but it does.>
If so, then so do yours. So spell out and justify the Observer which you like to conjure up to explain what humans do and experience that HPCT does not cover.

But, however it is descrbed, it needs to be in any theory of human nature and human purpose to gain interest in people who are not satisfied with their actions in life.  I think when PCT evolves to explain such things, it will rapidly replace all the ineffective theories of human psychology and what it takes to be content with oneself.

<If you are dissatisfied or discontented with something, that is an error signal in a control system and it’s happening in a brain. I really don’t see how you can say these things are not included in PCT – to me, they are obviously already part of PCT and fit perfectly into the structure. Why do you think otherwise?>
Are you aware of what little fraction of the brain is used for anything known, much less what is needed for perception control? I really don’t see how you can say that whatever the rest does, or can do, is part of PCT? How would you know?

<Are you just automatically assuming that certain parts of experience are not brain phenomenon, embodied as neural signals? If so, what parts, and why? It seems to me almost as if you’re arbitrarily excluding some parts of human behavior and experience from being explained by PCT, so you don’t even try to find a PCT explanation for them – you just say there isn’t one, as if there couldn’t possibly be one.>
On the contrary, I am simply asking you, the inventor, to explain your inventions like 1) intrinsic variables, 2) reorganization systems that override the control hierarchy and 3) the Observer that you propose exists yet has no defined specific role in the your theory of behavior.

When I publish my thesis on the Inner Man, you can ask how it explains your experiences better than PCT. That seems fair.

<I guess that’s really what I don’t understand about your position. When you say people aren’t satisfied, why don’t you immediately translate that into an error signal resulting from a mismatch between a perception and a reference signal? That’s what I would do, and what I think most PCTers would do. What keeps you from applying PCT to that obvious case of control?>
I think I do. What I do that you can’t seem to do is to believe from my life’s experience that I (and I assume all human beings) can change my Level 11 references at will to reduce the error instead of taking actions on my environment. Are there no other PCTers who can conceive of this? You don’t seem sure. I’m not sure if all have even been asked or had their awareness tested? Perhaps some day.

So, if the models and theory do not help people achieve value in their lives, or it stays in computer models and equations, I doubt it will catch the attention of people searching for understanding of purpose for their existence.

<Only if they start out by assuming that a computer model and equations can’t possibly have anything to do with achieving “value” and purpose in their lives.>
Tell you what, do you have a prison in your town? Go there and show them the models and the equations and see how many rehabilitate themselves and find value in their lives. That will catch people’s attention. I think folks like Ed Ford and Glenn Smith have made some PCT application progress. I think I use it all the time and get better results in my consulting, but perfect results, no. I don’t think the theory is complete enough to deal with the top references. If it was, perhaps it would be a new paradigm worth everyone’s time to learn?

< If you start with that assumption, that’s where you’ll end up. There’s nothing I can do when people decide in advance what they will accept as truth. They are impervious to demonstration, reason, proof or anything else that might alter what they believe. They already know what the truth is. It’s futile to try to persuade them, because they have already decided not to be persuaded.>

Just so you are not like them regarding HPCT.

I don’t really think you’re that way, but I do think you’re being a bit intellectually lazy, proposing facts just because they fit your preferences and not because you have any real reason to believe them. I would agree that there are some aspects of experience that PCT can’t handle – yet – but they are not the aspects you’re talking about. It just seems to me that there are areas in which you don’t even try to apply PCT. Why not?

Best,

Bill P.
Because I am not you. I admit to being intellectually lazy and even deficient. Tis a shame, I suppose. But, I have applied PCT in ways you are not aware of and that should not in the least be a disturbance to you. They have enriched my life. All I can be is grateful to you. I hope that is enough.

···

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.9/1237 - Release Date: 1/22/2008 11:04 AM

Who’s never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

[From Rick Marken (2008.01.25.2150)]

Fred Nickols (2008.01.25.1923 MT)--

> Rick Marken (2008.01.25.1230)]

> My experience is that practitioners who don't get the math and models
> never really get PCT and how to apply it...

I don't get the math of PCT but I fancy myself as having a "practitioner's grasp" of PCT.

I think you get the models (and at least the gist of the math) just
fine, from what I can tell. I was not thinking of you when I wrote
that;-)

And here's a shot across your bow in return. It's my observation that there are giants in the
areas of theory and giants in the area of application or practice (and, no, I don't fancy myself
a member of either group).

I agree. And there were some very talented engineers (practitioners)
who designed great stuff before there was any theory at all to help
them out. My point was just that people could be more effectively
taught practice and practice itself should be more efficient if not
more effective if it is taught in the context of a correct theory.
What I envision is a future where one can learn how to be a successful
practitioner by learning the theory on which practice is based rather
than leaving success as a practitioner to the luck of one's having a
knack for it.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.26.0049 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke
(2008.01.24.1040CST)

I think that one of the problems we have in our discussion is that we’re
not really talking about the same things. When I try to talk about system
concepts, I find it very difficult because we have to use words to
communicate at all, and words don’t exist at the system concept level
that I’m trying to describe with them. Most of what you seem to be
talking about is at the logic level, not the principle level or the
system concept level – altbough it does seem to me that behind your
words there are operating system-concept control systems. I don’t know
what they are, and what you say doesn’t help me understand them. Most
of what you say seems to me more like a logical or verbal structure
with rules of reasoning holding it together – level 9, not 11.

For example, you mention that you feel “thankful” and
:“blessed.” What do those words mean to you? Who or what is
being thanked, and who or what is it that is “blessing” you?
I’m sure you’re talking about real experiences, but which experiences?
When you say you’re feeling “blessed,” just what is it that
you’re experiencing that you describe that way? When you feel
“thankful”, what is going on inside you? Of course I have my
own (not very helpful) meanings for those words, but I don’t know what
your meanings are.

I’m not being picky – these are exactly the sorts of questions I asked
myself while I was trying to understand my own experiences, my own ways
of perceiving that I attempted to capture in definitions of the 11
levels. I have been wondering how you can be so sure of what you say
about the “inner man” and such things, when I am so uncertain
and feel so ignorant about the same things. I have experienced certain
kinds of “higher-order” things that seem to need explanation,
but so far haven’t come close to finding any. How did you arrive at
such certainty?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.26.0804 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.25.2100
EST) –

But, if that hierarchy does
not establish the Level 11 references, and some other functional human
system does, how do you know it can’t change them quickly? You
don’t think that after the death of a spouse, a person can wake up the
next morning with a different self purpose for themselves, perhaps a new
one they simply select that changes what they do for as long as they
live?

But why do you assume that a “self-purpose” is at the system
concept level? Most of what we speak about as the self is a collection of
lower-level attributes. I think what you’re talking about is at most at
the so-called “program” level, the level where we reason and
think both logically and emotionally, according to learned rules and
algorithms.

What
about purpose, like wanting to perceive myself as the
most generous person in my stingy family. That is not really a
temporary emotion issue like stress or fear.

No, but generosity is certainly not a system concept, and wanting to be
the MOST generous is comparing your perceptions of your generous actions
with your perceptions of another person’s actions. Words like generosity
may point toward principles, but they are not principles in themselves,
nor are principles the actions we interpret as examples of principles.
Generosity can mean simply sharing what you have with someone else, which
is a procedure, not a principle. It’s something you can do to get a good
feeling like patting yourself on the back, or to get a tax deduction, or
both.

I thought a lot about this last night. It’s beginning to seem clear, more
clear to me than ever before, that most of what religion is about is not
at the system concept level or even the principle level. It’s about the
highest level where most people (including me) spend most of their
conscious time, the levels where we name things, spell out procedures,
and draw logical or other inferences (as when we make theories about
experiences or otherwise try to explain them). In HPCT these levels are,
provisionally, the category, sequence, and program levels. This is why we
see religious principles mainly in the form of commandments from some
invisible supernatural source – they enter into conscious life as if
from some source beyond our mortal consciousness, the “still small
voice” telling us what is right and wrong, good and evil, blessed or
cursed. We experience them as sudden changes in what we want, or in what
we want to avoid, or what we think is true or right or the opposite, like
divine inspirations out of nowhere on Earth.

In HPCT, those experiences would appear to come from changes in the
reference signals received by the logic level from the principle level.
As long as consciousness is confined to level 9 and below, those changes
seem to come from outside us, like insights or vocations that simply
appear from some invisible place and give direction to our thinking and
efforts. Elaborate theories have evolved over thousands of years,
involving invisible and all-powerful entities who direct us from some
other plane of existence, looking out for us and correcting our
transgressions, and when necessary punishing us or even simply
exterminating us. Every problem, every loophole, has been considered and
has been dealt with by patches on the theories, many different kinds of
patches in different places in the world, but all aimed at achieving
logical consistency and conformity to observations. Many of the patches
require imagining things not actually observed, like ghosts and demons
and angels and spirits in trees – and gods, or God. God is the biggest
patch of all, the ultimate explanation of everything that dismisses all
objections, because even the objections are “God’s will”, put
in our minds to tempt and test us. What we have ended up with are sets of
closed logical systems, self-sustaining against all disturbances. But if
you can get above the program level, the whole house of cards
collapses.

I’m acutely aware of the hubris inherent in thinking that I can perceive
above the program level and other people can’t (though that’s not what I
mean to say). But I don’t claim to perceive anything I don’t actually
perceive, which is why I have so little to say about those higher levels.
I’ve been trying for well over 50 years, and probably quite a lot longer
than that, to grasp those higher levels, and have been rewarded with only
a few glimpses and glimmerings. I may actually see these things better
than other people see them who haven’t even tried, though my vision is
obviously, to me, far from clear or complete. But that’s hard to believe.
It’s sometimes daunting to hear other people talk about these things with
confidence and certainty, when I can claim neither one – am I the
retarded one, who can’t see what is plain to so many others? But then I
remember my own struggles with religion, the fear of not believing and of
then finding out – in the fires of Hell – that I was wrong, or missing
out on what I was told with overpowering sureness was an endless life of
bliss. I remember finally seeing the logical trap, the way these ideas
have been put together to make every objection into a possibly fearful
and irretrievable invitation to damnation. If you don’t see the trap in
time, you simply have no option but to give in and accept the whole
thing. Then it’s almost impossible, it would seem, to get out of it
again.

I figured it out in time, when I was around 12, but even then I knew this
was something I couldn’t talk about with many people, not in the 1930s
and 40s. And we’re entering another time similar to that, in which one
has to be increasingly careful not to cast doubt on popular beliefs. I
feel a little hesitant about doing it even here. Yet I don’t see any
option other than falling silent. Religious perceptions, goals, and
behavior are understandable within the framework of HPCT. That, of
course, is very hard to accept if one has cast his lot with religion. The
best I can do is offer the method of levels: exploring the background
thoughts that explain where the foreground thoughts come from. If one
isn’t willing to do that, exempting nothing from examination, then there
is nothing else I can offer but endless strings of empty words, which
nobody will have ears to hear (except those who have got here before
me).

Best,

Bill P.

[From Dick Robertson, 2008.01.26.110CST]

[From Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.24.1040CST)]

<Dick Robertson,2008.01.24.1040CST)>

In a message dated 1/24/2008 11:41:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

R-Robertson@NEIU.EDU writes:

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.23.1912
MST)]

Kenny
Kitzke(2008.01.23–

Would you agree that if

reference perceptions do exist at
Level 11, they are NOT set or changed
in the same way as the
reference perceptions at the ten lower
levels?

Yes, and I keep saying so every time you or anyone else asks about it.
My words don’t seem very memorable. I have proposed some ways in which
the highest-level reference conditions might be established. Maybe you
can think of some more. It’s pretty clear that people do not easily
change their system concepts, although over enough time this can
happen.

My question for you Dick is that, as I understand Bill’s theory of

reorganization, the only time the reorganization system even functions is when
intrinsic physiological or biochemical variables necessary to support life
(essential for survival per MSOB, page 50) are not controlled by the control
hierarchy.

That’s my understanding, too. Kenny. Although in tracking discussions about reorganization over the years I have sometimes gotten the idea that reorganizations occur at various levels in the hierarchy w/o input from the Intrinsic System. This has been confusing, but I haven’t jumped on it every time I’ve it has come up. I do think that the fact that we don’t have a lot of evidence about the workings of the Intrinsic system has allowed various speculations (which I think is OK and natural) to get covertly assumed into what we take as the basic theory. That’s what i was doing, I guess, when I proposed that maybe, just maybe, if you think of the range of OK and not OK readings in Intrinsic System variables – e.g. take the range of body temperature from about 97.1 - 99.5 (more or less) as the OK range, you wouldn’t expect any settings within that range to trigger reorg. But, movements out of the range don’t usually occur in sudden large jumps triggering massive reorganization. Could it be that reorg. (thought of as injection of gradually increasing random signalling in the HPCT hierarchy) begins modestly and affects a few systems directly related to the Intrinsic variable in question, while incresing error might lead to the kind of wild, frantic behavior we call panic – as with the person who can’t swim knocked into the deep end of the pool. We just don’t know, do we? Anyway, at a level above the system-concept level, if there is one in a given person, what intrinsic error would trigger it?
I don’t know. But Since Intrinsic variables of many sorts seem to control ranges, maybe a number of them moving into the border of NOT OK could create that gradual ferment of mild reorganization?

Just a thought. It might be full of holes, but I offer it as an example of what Bill was talking about when he suggested there could be a lot of speculations about how reorganization might work at the highest level.

So, when and how in your experience of a long life did you sense your

reorganization system kicked in and you had “a ferment of gradual
reorganization” take place and what intrinsic survival variable was
involved?

I’ll think about this and get back to you on it. A number of possible examples come to mind, but I don’t want to go off half-cocked on it.

My server has been timing me out fairly quickly later, so I’ll end this here and work more on the rest of your letter later.

Best,

Dick R>

[From Dick Robertson, 2008.01.26.1128CST]

Rick,

This was a great post, and a thoughtful reply that I hope Jim Wuwert will find helpful. As a practitioner who could follow a little of the math, and at one time could do a little programming for a couple of experiments, I testify to your observation that in future, practitioners, too, will benefit from being able to do the math. I only wish I had realized this early enough in my career to pursue it.

Best,

Dick R.

···

[From Rick Marken (2008.01.25.1230)]

Jim Wuwert (2008.01.25.1350EST)

Now, the
researchers I will concede probably have to dive deeper into
the math and
models. But, most practicioners will get lost with the math
and scientific
models.

That’s true now. But I see a future where practitioners will
have to
learn the math and models of PCT just as engineers have to learn the
math and models of physics.

I am guessing, but I would assume that many people who are checking
this forum out are not into the nitty, gritty of research.
But, they may
find some value in learning more about PCT and find that it
may enhance
their practice.

My experience is that practitioners who don’t get the math and models
never really get PCT and how to apply it. That doesn’t make them any
worse as practitioners, by the way. Right now, the
practice of
psychology is mainly an art so those who are good at practice will
remain so no matter how little or how much they get of PCT. However,
my guess is that once psychological science is based on an
understanding of the controlling nature of organisms – ie. PCT -
then practice will move from pure art to art informed by science (like
engineering).

Not everyone will approach PCT like Rick Marken-a researcher.
What is being
done to help these newcomers feel their way around? I.E. ask
the silly
questions, strut their chests–without being judged or
perceived as “know it
all ‘wanna be’ teachers.”

Asking silly questions is fine. I think we take all questions
seriously and try to answer them in a way that helps the questioner
understand the theory a bit better. But “strutting their
chests”, to
the extent that that involves telling us what’s really true of
PCT –
such as saying that no one has any idea how the highest level
references are set or that PCT views the behavior of
organizations of
people in the same way as it views organizations of ants - is
quite a
different thing. It’s like the kid in algebra class thumbing his nose
at the teacher while saying that there is no way to find the
value of
x in the equation y = x/z when given the value of y and z. If the
teacher explains that you actually can find x in that situation and
explains how, is that treating the student with disrespect?

Martin answered the questions about what was done in the past.
What is being
done for the future?

As far as teaching PCT I plan to continue doing in the future
what I
have done in the past: trying to teach PCT as best as I can without
losing it when disrespectful “students” (like the algebra student
above) start criticizing PCT out of ignorance. I would love, however,
to see some criticism of PCT coming from students who already do or
are trying hard to understand PCT. That would be neat.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[FRom Dick Robertson, 2008.01.26.1640CST]

Kenny,

I sat down now to consider the rest of your message to me and couldn’t find it. I don’t know how I did, but I must have deleted it. If you want any more of my not-very-profound thoughts about higher levels and reorganization, you could resend your post. Otherwise, I think the subjects will come up again–they are perennials. When one does, let’s see if I have any new thoughts.

Best,

Dick R.

[From Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.28.1200EST)]

<Bill Powers (2008.01.26.0804 MST)>

In a message dated 1/26/2008 11:31:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, powers_w@FRONTIER.NET writes:

But, if that hierarchy does not establish the Level 11 references, and some other functional human system does, how do you know it can't change them quickly?  You don't think that after the death of a spouse, a person can wake up the next morning with a different self purpose for themselves, perhaps a new one they simply select that changes what they do for as long as they live?

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.26.0804 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke (2008.01.25.2100 EST) –

But why do you assume that a “self-purpose” is at the system concept level? Most of what we speak about as the self is a collection of lower-level attributes. I think what you’re talking about is at most at the so-called “program” level, the level where we reason and think both logically and emotionally, according to learned rules and algorithms.
I perceive that my reference beliefs are consistent with my highest level systems concepts for how I want to be and behave. The beliefs I defend with lower level references (like programs of whether to work on the sabbath) must be consistent with higher (up a level) desires for what I want my behavior and life to be about…like what is right and wrong for me as an individual control system in a “religious” sense.

What is difficult to grasp about this? Read page 30 in MSOB about what you have said about choosing principles for how to perceive yourself as an “honest” person at a higher (system) level.

Yet, when I suggest that perceiving myself as a “generous” or “thankful” person is a variable at the systems level, you evaluate them at the program level. Please explain yourself. Or, have you changed your mind about what you wrote in MSOB that has me confused?

What about purpose, like wanting to perceive myself as the most generous person in my stingy family. That is not really a temporary emotion issue like stress or fear.

No, but generosity is certainly not a system concept, and wanting to be the MOST generous is comparing your perceptions of your generous actions with your perceptions of another person’s actions. Words like generosity may point toward principles, but they are not principles in themselves, nor are principles the actions we interpret as examples of principles. Generosity can mean simply sharing what you have with someone else, which is a procedure, not a principle. It’s something you can do to get a good feeling like patting yourself on the back, or to get a tax deduction, or both.
And, how is honesty different? What is it compared to? Does being honest produce a good feeling? Does a little dishonesty feel good when the personal benefit is high (check college degree on the job application when all you did was attend a college for a semester)?

I thought a lot about this last night. It’s beginning to seem clear, more clear to me than ever before, that most of what religion is about is not at the system concept level or even the principle level. It’s about the highest level where most people (including me) spend most of their conscious time, the levels where we name things, spell out procedures, and draw logical or other inferences (as when we make theories about experiences or otherwise try to explain them). In HPCT these levels are, provisionally, the category, sequence, and program levels. This is why we see religious principles mainly in the form of commandments from some invisible supernatural source – they enter into conscious life as if from some source beyond our mortal consciousness, the “still small voice” telling us what is right and wrong, good and evil, blessed or cursed. We experience them as sudden changes in what we want, or in what we want to avoid, or what we think is true or right or the opposite, like divine inspirations out of nowhere on Earth.
In MSOB you include religion in the same list as conceptions of society, science, government and self. Is science at a low conscious level too? Your changing positions are confusing, and not just to me. You also talk like self is the whole hierarchy. Have you thought clearly about what part of the self is at the system level. Is there any self concepts up there?

The ideas of what system level conceptions are right or wrong for me is precisely what I have been suggesting seem to be the function of some other human hard-wired system which I prefer to call the Inner Man and you seem to prefer the Observer. But, if there is such a system, by whatever name, it has as much to do with human nature as the perceptual control hierarchy. There is little doubt in my mind that humans have such a sense of what is right and wrong for them who have no belief in a God or even a god that can put those choices in their Observer or Inner Man. That may be possible, and many Christians hold such concepts, but I don’t believe they are necessary to understand human behavior.

In HPCT, those experiences would appear to come from changes in the reference signals received by the logic level from the principle level. As long as consciousness is confined to level 9 and below, those changes seem to come from outside us, like insights or vocations that simply appear from some invisible place and give direction to our thinking and efforts. Elaborate theories have evolved over thousands of years, involving invisible and all-powerful entities who direct us from some other plane of existence, looking out for us and correcting our transgressions, and when necessary punishing us or even simply exterminating us. Every problem, every loophole, has been considered and has been dealt with by patches on the theories, many different kinds of patches in different places in the world, but all aimed at achieving logical consistency and conformity to observations. Many of the patches require imagining things not actually observed, like ghosts and demons and angels and spirits in trees – and gods, or God. God is the biggest patch of all, the ultimate explanation of everything that dismisses all objections, because even the objections are “God’s will”, put in our minds to tempt and test us. What we have ended up with are sets of closed logical systems, self-sustaining against all disturbances. But if you can get above the program level, the whole house of cards collapses.
Your perceptions are showing. Some humans may have developed higher perceptual levels than you have. Or, is that just impossible and you know it and proclaim it?

I’m acutely aware of the hubris inherent in thinking that I can perceive above the program level and other people can’t (though that’s not what I mean to say). But I don’t claim to perceive anything I don’t actually perceive, which is why I have so little to say about those higher levels. I’ve been trying for well over 50 years, and probably quite a lot longer than that, to grasp those higher levels, and have been rewarded with only a few glimpses and glimmerings. I may actually see these things better than other people see them who haven’t even tried, though my vision is obviously, to me, far from clear or complete. But that’s hard to believe. It’s sometimes daunting to hear other people talk about these things with confidence and certainty, when I can claim neither one – am I the retarded one, who can’t see what is plain to so many others?
I am constantly humbled by meeting people who can perceive and think and explain and understand things that simply are beyond my grasp and ability. I consider it an honor that they even bother talking to me.

But then I remember my own struggles with religion, the fear of not believing and of then finding out – in the fires of Hell – that I was wrong, or missing out on what I was told with overpowering sureness was an endless life of bliss. I remember finally seeing the logical trap, the way these ideas have been put together to make every objection into a possibly fearful and irretrievable invitation to damnation. If you don’t see the trap in time, you simply have no option but to give in and accept the whole thing. Then it’s almost impossible, it would seem, to get out of it again.
I suspect there are people with just the opposite result. They started thinking they could count on what they can experience as perceptions and then control those perceptions. Instead, they found the futile illusional trap they had fallen into. So, they abandoned their fear and disappointment when out of control and began to accept their human frailty and deal with it by changing their self references.

I figured it out in time, when I was around 12, but even then I knew this was something I couldn’t talk about with many people, not in the 1930s and 40s. And we’re entering another time similar to that, in which one has to be increasingly careful not to cast doubt on popular beliefs. I feel a little hesitant about doing it even here. Yet I don’t see any option other than falling silent.
I am glad you are thinking openly. I have been helped by what you have discovered. I certainly won’t attack you just because your perceptual hierarchy is not fully developed as long as you won’t call me crazy if I think mine is. :sunglasses: Who knows, I may help you with what I have discovered. Yep, Kenny is a hopeless dreamer in things unseen. I confess. I can’t see your perceptions and you can’t see mine. That in no way distructs your HPCT theroy, I perceive it fortifies it.

Religious perceptions, goals, and behavior are understandable within the framework of HPCT. That, of course, is very hard to accept if one has cast his lot with religion. The best I can do is offer the method of levels: exploring the background thoughts that explain where the foreground thoughts come from. If one isn’t willing to do that, exempting nothing from examination, then there is nothing else I can offer but endless strings of empty words, which nobody will have ears to hear (except those who have got here before me).

Best,

Bill P.
My “religious” beliefs work for me. If they do not work for you, it detracts nothing from mine. And, MOL has been wonderful for me. I introduced three of my “religious” brothers this weekend to HPCT and MOL. One has a son, a very successful lawyer in LA, whose life is in ruins because of alcoholism. He has been to Betty Ford and other recovery programs without lasting success. I pray MOL can be what will have him no longer drink booze to meet higher level life goals. There is more to life than not being drunk, but much of the rest is not possible when your mind is in a stupor…so bad that he would not open his condo door for his visiting mother from Delmont, PA. Tears flowed and prayers ascended, and the door did open as he went up a level to see he was not the self he wanted his Mom to perceive. Your “baby” has potential for much good, for those religious and those not.

Best wishes,

Kenny

The Lawstsheep

···

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.11/1244 - Release Date: 1/25/2008 7:44 PM

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

[From Bill Powers (2008.01.28.1058 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke
(2008.01.28.1200EST)

···

But why do you assume that a
“self-purpose” is at the system concept level? Most of what we
speak about as the self is a collection of lower-level attributes. I
think what you’re talking about is at most at the so-called
“program” level, the level where we reason and think both
logically and emotionally, according to learned rules and
algorithms.

I perceive that my reference beliefs are consistent with my highest
level systems concepts for how I want to be and behave. The beliefs
I defend with lower level references (like programs of whether to work on
the sabbath) must be consistent with higher (up a level) desires for what
I want my behavior and life to be about…like what is right and wrong
for me as an individual control system in a “religious”
sense.

What is difficult to grasp about this? Read page 30 in MSOB about
what you have said about choosing principles for how to perceive yourself
as an “honest” person at a higher (system) level.

Yet, when I suggest that
perceiving myself as a “generous” or “thankful”
person is a variable at the systems level, you evaluate them at the
program level. Please explain yourself. Or, have you
changed your mind about what you wrote in MSOB that has me
confused?

What you’re describing are the perceptions at the program level that
might be chosen as a result of maintaining principles of a certain kind,
and those might be chosen to support a particular system concept. But
programs are not principles and principles are not system concepts. The
perceptions at one level do not appear at any other level, lower or
higher. “Honesty,” as described in MSOB, is the name of a
principle. This principle is a perception derived from specific programs,
such as “if the cashier gives you too much change, give the extra
money back.” That little program segment can be carried out without
understanding it to be required by a principle – it’s just an if-then
program. If you tell someone to adopt this program, the person may ask
“Why? It’s not my fault if someone wants to give me too much
money.” You might guess that this person does not control for the
principle called honesty, or perceives the same principle you perceive
but has set the reference level for it to a low value or zero.

If your attention is at the program level ONLY, you may give the money
back while feeling that doing this is right – but have no idea (at that
moment) why you feel it is right. All you know is that until you give it
back, you feel an error.

Expanding your awareness to include the principle level would reveal the
reason for giving the money back: because you are controlling for a
principle called honesty. You perceive honesty as a principle that can be
seen at a high level in many programs (give the money back), and at a low
level in many others (get out of there before the cashier notices the
mistake). You have selected a high level of that principle as what you
want to see in all of your own programs. But if your awareness does not
extend higher than this, you will not perceive any reason of your own for
selecting that high level of honesty. You’ll just feel that being very
honest is the right thing to do, while at the program level you see how
you have to behave to support that principle.

Finally, expanding your awareness to include the system concept level
will reveal reasons for choosing honesty as something to control, and the
reasons for picking a high level of it instead of a low level (or vice
versa). These will also be reasons for picking many other principles and
their reference levels; the system concept is seen in the whole
collection of principles, not just one of them. For example, honesty
might go along with respecting your parents, returning good for evil,
avoiding covetousness, and so on, all of which principles would add up to
a perceived system concept that might have a religious nature. You might
sum up this system concept by saying “I choose to be a
Christian,” or “a Jew” (depending on the details of the
principles). If asked why you picked that kind of system concept as a
reference, you may well reply “Through the Grace of God who granted
me belief” (which is a statement made at the program level,
referring indirectly to other principles and system concepts). Or, if not
religious, you might sum up similar principles by saying that they
indicate the kind of person you want to be in the kind of world you would
like to live in. But you still might have trouble explaining why you
picked that reference condition, other than just saying that it feels
right to
you.

What about purpose, like wanting to
perceive myself as the most generous person in my stingy family.
That is not really a temporary emotion issue like stress or
fear.
No, but generosity is certainly not a system concept, and wanting to
be the MOST generous is comparing your perceptions of your generous
actions with your perceptions of another person’s actions. Words like
generosity may point toward principles, but they are not principles in
themselves, nor are principles the actions we interpret as examples of
principles. Generosity can mean simply sharing what you have with someone
else, which is a procedure, not a principle. It’s something you can do to
get a good feeling like patting yourself on the back, or to get a tax
deduction, or both.

And, how is honesty different? What is it compared to?

Nothing that I know of except the reference condition saying how honest
you want to be. You didn’t mention wanting to be the most honest person
in your family, which would have involved a comparison. If you just want
to be the most generous person in your “stingy family” you
could satisfy that reference condition without looking particularly
generousto anyone else. You drop a penny in the Salvation Army pot while
they filch a dollar.

Does being honest produce a good
feeling? Does a little dishonesty feel good when the personal
benefit is high (check college degree on the job application when all you
did was attend a college for a semester)?

Achieving any goal produces a good feeling. The question is why you
picked that goal instead of another. Lots of people choose reference
levels for honesty that are a bit lower than the maximum amount of
honesty they can imagine, and feel smart for having done so. They may
worry a little about being caught by the IRS, but not feel bad about
failing to declare as income the 5-dollar jackpot they won at a gas
station on their way through Las Vegas. Being honest doesn’t produce a
good feeling unless you’ve chosen a reference condition high on the
honesty scale. And you don’t always choose a high level of honesty:
“Does this dress make me look fat?”

In MSOB you include religion in
the same list as conceptions of society, science, government and
self. Is science at a low conscious level too? Your changing
positions are confusing, and not just to me.

Most of the time we’re attending consciously to the details of living,
whether our system concepts have to do with religion, science, economics,
or politics. The higher levels are operating automatically, in whatever
state of organization we left them when last conscious of them. If I ask
someone at a CSG meeting (which I do sometimes) why they are there, it
takes a while to shift gears, get back in touch with a higher level, and
reply. If I ask a person why it’s wrong to kill or use God’s name in
vain, many of them can’t come up with any answer except that God says
it’s wrong. Not many people have clear system concepts, or have any idea
why they accept principles for themselves. Most of us can’t give a
truthful answer to questions about things like that if we’re caught in
the middle of balancing a checkbook or trying to land a fish. Yet in
truth we may be balancing the checkbook in order to stay honest, or
catching the fish to share it with the poor like a good Muslim. We’re
just not consciously connected to those higher levels all the
time.

You also talk like self
is the whole hierarchy. Have you thought clearly about what part of
the self is at the system level. Is there any self concepts up
there?

Yes, I’d say that the sense of being a single coherent entity is a system
concept of the self. But we also say things in reference to ourselves
like “I’m fat” or “I’m no good at math,” which refer
to an “I” that is certainly not a perception at the system
concept level.

The ideas of what system level
conceptions are right or wrong for me is precisely what I have been
suggesting seem to be the function of some other human hard-wired system
which I prefer to call the Inner Man and you seem to prefer the Observer.

I think right and wrong are judged, always, relative to your own
reference levels. If the system concept you’re perceiving doesn’t
match the one you want to perceive, you feel that there’s something wrong
about it and you try to change yourself (or whatever needs changing) as
required to correct the error. When a match is achieved you feel that the
system concept you perceive is right.

As to the Observer or Inner Man, to me it’s an unexplained phenomenon. I
don’t know if it’s hard-wired or exists in some fourth dimension of
space, or sits in a control room on a planet of Alpha Centauri, or is a
little pseudopod of God. What I think it might be is fairly irrelevant
since I don’t know. I do know that the Observer state is fairly clear,
and that I can get into it if I pause to go through the mental exercises
that get me there (I don’t do that much). I haven’t figured out what it’s
for or how it really relates to the hierarchy. Maybe it’s a tumor in my
frontal lobes. Maybe it’s just another level in the hierarchy after all.
I’ve certainly thought of lots of possibilities, but when I say I don’t
know, I mean I don’t know. Nor have I met anyone who does.

But, if there is such a
system, by whatever name, it has as much to do with human nature as the
perceptual control hierarchy. There is little doubt in my mind that
humans have such a sense of what is right and wrong for them who have no
belief in a God or even a god that can put those choices in their
Observer or Inner Man.

Yes, but what is right and wrong for them depends on what reference
levels are set at the principle level by higher systems inside them.
Often “wrong” just means not matching my reference level at
SOME level in the hierarchy. That note you sang didn’t sound right to me.
Your socks are the wrong color, go change them. The theory seems to work
but I still don’t feel quite right about it. On and on. Right means no
error, wrong means error.

You don’t have to tell me that you’re looking for a different sort of
right and wrong, the kind that’s right and wrong for everyone regardless
of what any person thinks. If you’re not, we’re really not arguing about
anything. But the Bible doesn’t say “thou shalt not kill if you
think it’s wrong.” If you believe in the truth of the Bible, you
have to believe that killing is always wrong for everyone (until the
religious lawyers get to work and exempt righteous killing like war,
although not for the other side).

[your] perceptions are
showing. Some humans may have developed higher perceptual levels
than you have. Or, is that just impossible and you know it and
proclaim it?

I generally assume that we all have developed the same levels, though
that’s not proven by a long shot. But the content at those levels is
widely variable.

I’m acutely aware of the hubris
inherent in thinking that I can perceive above the program level and
other people can’t (though that’s not what I mean to say). But I don’t
claim to perceive anything I don’t actually perceive, which is why I have
so little to say about those higher levels. I’ve been trying for well
over 50 years, and probably quite a lot longer than that, to grasp those
higher levels, and have been rewarded with only a few glimpses and
glimmerings. I may actually see these things better than other people see
them who haven’t even tried, though my vision is obviously, to me, far
from clear or complete. But that’s hard to believe. It’s sometimes
daunting to hear other people talk about these things with confidence and
certainty, when I can claim neither one – am I the retarded one, who
can’t see what is plain to so many others?

I am constantly humbled by meeting people who can perceive and think
and explain and understand things that simply are beyond my grasp and
ability. I consider it an honor that they even bother talking to
me.

Well, how do you know they understand things that are beyond your grasp
and ability? Wouldn’t you need to understand those things, too, to know
that the others understand them? If you really don’t understand them,
then all you know is that others claim to have an understanding, or act
as if they do. You don’t know if that’s true or not. If a person shows an
air of confidence and certainty, I hope you’re not taken in by it because
that’s the first thing all con men learn to do: look confident and
honest. Maybe you’re being a bit too humble. Maybe you should start
asking for demonstrations and proofs before you let others pretend that
they’re honoring
you.

But then I remember my own
struggles with religion, the fear of not believing and of then finding
out – in the fires of Hell – that I was wrong, or missing out on what I
was told with overpowering sureness was an endless life of bliss. I
remember finally seeing the logical trap, the way these ideas have been
put together to make every objection into a possibly fearful and
irretrievable invitation to damnation. If you don’t see the trap in time,
you simply have no option but to give in and accept the whole thing. Then
it’s almost impossible, it would seem, to get out of it
again.

I suspect there are people with just the opposite result. They
started thinking they could count on what they can experience as
perceptions and then control those perceptions. Instead, they found
the futile illusional trap they had fallen into. So, they abandoned
their fear and disappointment when out of control and began to accept
their human frailty and deal with it by changing their self
references.

Oh, yes, that certainly happens and has to happen if one is to get
anywhere. Most people, however, do not get converted late in life to
religion – they are indoctrinated for years before they can know any
better. And people who find they are not controlling well do not
necessarily turn to religion as the answer. Some do. But it’s not the
only answer that
works.

I figured it out in time, when I
was around 12, but even then I knew this was something I couldn’t talk
about with many people, not in the 1930s and 40s. And we’re entering
another time similar to that, in which one has to be increasingly careful
not to cast doubt on popular beliefs. I feel a little hesitant about
doing it even here. Yet I don’t see any option other than falling
silent.

My “religious” beliefs work for me.

Of course they do. Why else would you retain them? If I had fallen into
the trap, the things I decided to believe would have worked for me, too.
That’s the whole point of deciding to believe, isn’t it? It would be so
wonderful to know I would live forever, that a loving and all-powerful
God was looking after me, that I would get to see and speak with Mary
again, and my mother and father, and all those I have loved who died.
Those are powerful inducements to believe, and so much pain would be
removed! Would it really matter if those promises were never kept?
Wouldn’t it be worthwhile just to feel better about myself and everything
else while I am still alive?

You have no idea, I guess, why those inducements fill me with
horror.

Best,

Bill P.