Paperlet about PCT and conventional psychology

[From Bill Powers (2009.08.13.1000 MDT)]

I'm forwarding this comment from Tim Carey to CSGnet, with permission.

Best,

Bill P.

Chapter Text.doc (186 KB)

···

=========================================================================
Hi Bill,

Here's something you might find interesting that seems to be about what
you have in mind. I wrote this before we left for Scotland while I was
still doing my PhD so it's a bit rough around the edges (for what I
would write now) but it's amazing how much of it I still go along with.
I think the basics are pretty much what I'd write now.

I originally wrote it when Dick sent a note around CSG saying that you
guys were doing a 2nd edition of Intro to Modern Psych. That never
happened so this thing has never been published.

Tim

Tim Carey, PhD, MAPS
Associate Professor
Course Convenor - Master of Clinical Psychology, PhD (Clin Psych)

Centre for Applied Psychology
Faculty of Health
University of Canberra ACT 2601

Phone: +61 (0)2 6201 2950
Fax: +61 (0)2 6201 5753
Email: Tim.Carey@canberra.edu.au

Australian Government Higher Education (CRICOS)
Registered Provider number: #00212K

[From Rick Marken (2009.08.13.0915)]

[From Bill Powers (2009.08.13.1000 MDT)]

I'm forwarding this comment from Tim Carey to CSGnet, with permission.

Thanks, Bill. And Tim. Another nice resource for my Fall PCT seminar.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[David Goldstein (2009.08.15.09:47 EDT)]

I just finished reading Tim Carey's Chapter that Bill posted on the CSG list. The title of the chapter is: Clinical Psychology: What is and what might be. No one else has commented on it, so I will start the ball rolling.

Some comments and questions follow.

It is very well written, like all of Tim's writings. Who is the audience for the chapter? I would think that it would be good for professional therapists or advanced graduate students. Oops, I just read that Tim intended it for introductory students.

Two cases are discussed. One is an actual therapy case. One is a person during a workshop. The therapy case was very effective in showing the MOL Psychotherapy approach. The workshop case lacks the same impact for me.

The discussion of assessment could be stronger in my opinion. Like Bill Powers, Tim doesn't have much use for Psychological Tests. However, he winds up giving a standard test before and after the first therapy case. It is confusing why he does this, given the general attitude towards Psychological Testing.

I really liked the description of MOL Psychotherapy being like a person walking up stairs backwards. It seemed that it helped his first case person understand what to expect and to understand the process. I first described this metaphor in a published case study. If Tim came across it before my study, I would appreciate knowing about it so that I could refer to the source and not take credit for it. The published case study can be seen at:

http://www.dmghelpcenter.com/Selected_Publications_A/Goldstein-7-1F.pdf

Overall, this is a very well written chapter. I am glad that Tim was realistic in his description of MOL Psychotherapy as speculative and in need of research studies. I look forward to continuing my efforts to provide such studies. The key therapist role in MOL Psychotherapy is to ask questions or make requests for additional information. The only study that I know about which looks at this is the one by Sache. His research can be found at:

···