"PCT handbook" -- The Book of Readings.

[From Dag Forssell (2016 05.21 15:20 PST)]
Perceptual Control Theory: An Overview of the Third Grand Theory in Psychology is now available at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk in both paperback and hardcover editions. Also (as before) a free pdf download at www.livingcontrolsystems.com – top of webpage.

This updated and expanded edition features a much expanded front end that adds information about the nature of PCT as well as special pages that point to resources on the web, papers online, book reviews, demonstrations, MOL, and mamagement.

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2016 05.21 15:20 PST)]
Perceptual Control Theory: An Overview of the Third Grand Theory in
Psychology
is now available at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk in both
paperback and hardcover editions. Also (as before) a free pdf download at

www.livingcontrolsystems.com
– top of webpage.

This updated and expanded edition features a much expanded front end that
adds information about the nature of PCT as well as special pages that
point to resources on the web, papers online, book reviews,
demonstrations, MOL, and mamagement.

Best, Dag

Since I've 'retired' and also found this group again I have been
thinking even more about PCT than I have in years (though it have never
completely left my thoughts---Bill Powers just had a way of lighting a
fire that will not go out).

Reading some of the fine tributes to Bill (esp. by Phil Runkel) got me
to thinking about Bill contribution to science. I absolutely agree that
his creation of the theory of PCT is likely the the greatest
contribution to the understanding of human behaviour (and of course
animal too).

However, tonight (this morning actually) I was thinking of another thing
that he did that was alluded to in some of the tributes (I have not read
them all yet)... Bill's philosophy on experiment evaluation. I
remember that he told me that if you achieved a 95% confidence factor
then all you had accomplished is to show that you were 'on to something'
but it needed more work. At 98% you were ready to publish. I believe
that this insistence on such a high quality is why so many people today
are taking PCT seriously.

I know of nothing that Bill ever wrote about human behaviour (and I
personally never heard him say) that was speculation without him
strenuously emphasizing that it was only speculation.

I miss him and wish that I had been able to stay in contact with him.

As some of you are aware, today is the anniversary of Bill’s passing, three years ago.

Dad was a very cognizant, thinking man to the last, a determined and critical thinker. I know his communication dwindled over the last few months, but that was nothing personal. He just got tired in the end, and small wonder, after all the ideas his mind had been churning out for 86 years.

I miss the conversations we had over too many cups of coffee, and seeing his eyes shine when he could see that I had finally grasped a concept. I miss hearing him play the piano, the smell of the crisp white shirts he wore to work at the observatory at NU, and his cure when we were sick - a chocolate milkshake! (“The egg in it makes it healthy,” he’d say, defensively.)

Dad and Mom genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed the conferences they hosted for you, an opportunity for great intellectual discussions with smart and funny people, as well as the many personal friendships which developed over the years. They were flattered to no end by the scope of talented people who rode the PCT wave.

Allie and I are still ironing out plans for a conference in 2017, the largest official gathering since before Dad passed. We’re doing all we can to make this a productive and enjoyable retreat.

Attached are two versions of a short recording he made in February 2007. They are the same, one in MIDI and one in MP3.

Thank you all again for the support you gave to our dad, and the work you continue to do with PCT.

Most Sincerely,

*bara

noodling8.mid (14.1 KB)

noodling8.mp3 (1.48 MB)

[From Rick Marken (2016.05.24.1040)]

···

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:41 AM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

BP: As some of you are aware, today is the anniversary of Bill’s passing, three years ago.

RM: Thanks for this Barb. I miss him terribly, especially after re-reading papers like the one I posted a couple days ago. He was so down to earth that I sometimes forget how extraordinarily brilliant he was.

Best

Rick

Dad was a very cognizant, thinking man to the last, a determined and critical thinker. I know his communication dwindled over the last few months, but that was nothing personal. He just got tired in the end, and small wonder, after all the ideas his mind had been churning out for 86 years.

I miss the conversations we had over too many cups of coffee, and seeing his eyes shine when he could see that I had finally grasped a concept. I miss hearing him play the piano, the smell of the crisp white shirts he wore to work at the observatory at NU, and his cure when we were sick - a chocolate milkshake! (“The egg in it makes it healthy,” he’d say, defensively.)

Dad and Mom genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed the conferences they hosted for you, an opportunity for great intellectual discussions with smart and funny people, as well as the many personal friendships which developed over the years. They were flattered to no end by the scope of talented people who rode the PCT wave.

Allie and I are still ironing out plans for a conference in 2017, the largest official gathering since before Dad passed. We’re doing all we can to make this a productive and enjoyable retreat.

Attached are two versions of a short recording he made in February 2007. They are the same, one in MIDI and one in MP3.

Thank you all again for the support you gave to our dad, and the work you continue to do with PCT.

Most Sincerely,

*bara

Richard S. Marken

Author, with Timothy A. Carey, of Controlling People: The Paradoxical Nature of Being Human.

Hello All - I would have written yesterday, but this year I had a lot more heaviness and processing with regard to all of the events that I experienced three years ago. It has been much more difficult for me that I expected.

Our parents were such an amazing treasure trove of information and I am so glad that we are not the only ones who appreciated them. And I also want to say that my own appreciation of them is something that has been enhanced and enriched by reading your discussions and hearing your thoughts and feelings about what they meant to you. Thank you for being here! I feel lucky to be able to continue learning about this amazing world to which Dad opened the door and through which all of you bravely stepped and continue to illuminate.

I am very close to establishing a sponsorship at NU for our conference - this is not a financial sponsorship - it is a connection with the Cognitive Science department - specifically the Dept of Psychology - which will enable us to hold the meeting on campus. As my sister mentioned, we will be able to give you an update as soon as we have secured a space we can count on for August 2017.

Kindest regards,

Allie

···

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2016.05.24.1040)]

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:41 AM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

BP: As some of you are aware, today is the anniversary of Bill’s passing, three years ago.

RM: Thanks for this Barb. I miss him terribly, especially after re-reading papers like the one I posted a couple days ago. He was so down to earth that I sometimes forget how extraordinarily brilliant he was.

Best

Rick

Most Sincerely,

*bara

Richard S. Marken

Author, with Timothy A. Carey, of Controlling People: The Paradoxical Nature of Being Human.