Radius of Curvature

[Dag Forssell 2017.11.12 09:55 PST]

[Martin Taylor
2017.11.11.23.20]

[From Adam Matic 2017.11.12]
What a surprise, … or perhaps not, once you recognize that
D is V3/R, which is always true, for any velocity whatever.

I have never been able to follow the substance of this
“debate”. For sure, I don’t read all of CSGnet posts in the
first place.

I got my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering back in 1965, so I have
some sense of math, but more significant, I have a sense of physics,
mechanics, dynamics and the like.

I have never felt it necessary to resort to math to explain control.

To me, explaining or arguing control based on math without a solid sense
of the physics and dynamics is much like Ptolemy developing elaborate
math to explain what we observe in the heavens. Math is merely a
language. Math does not reflect reality as such.

I would think this whole enterprise would be cut short if everyone
involved had a grounding in physics and dynamics. Unfortunately, a
background in the natural sciences is not a requirement for studies in
psychology. It is all descriptive and taking high school physics is not
expected. This has bedeviled CSGnet for decades. Not to mention academia.

I would love to see an explanation of this Power Law (what is the
significance of the power law anyway?) in plain language.

Is there a wikipedia site or such where I can be enlightened?

In Martin’s equation, what does D stand for, V (and is 3 a normal
exponent, meaning VVV), and what is R?

Best, Dag

[Martin Taylor 2017.11.2.13.59]

[Dag Forssell 2017.11.12 09:55 PST]

[Martin Taylor

2017.11.11.23.20]

[From Adam Matic

2017.11.12]
What a surprise, … or perhaps not, once you recognize that
D is V3 /R, which is always true, for any velocity
whatever.

I have never been able to follow the substance of this

“debate”. For sure, I don’t read all of CSGnet posts in the
first place.

OK. The substance of this debate is that it is in principle

impossible to derive velocities from a description of a spatial
quantity, but Marken and Shaffer claim to have done the impossible.
The debate is about the accuracy of their claim,

I got my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering back in 1965, so

I have
some sense of math, but more significant, I have a sense of
physics,
mechanics, dynamics and the like.

I have never felt it necessary to resort to math to explain

control.

No, one does not need it simply to explain control. One does need it

to analyze control, but that’s not what is at issue here. In this
so-called “debate”, the issue is not one of control. It is one of
mathematics, since the simple physical argument was spurned by Rick,
who continues to claim that his mathematics allows him to derive
velocity from distances.

To me, explaining or arguing control based on math without a solid

sense
of the physics and dynamics is much like Ptolemy developing
elaborate
math to explain what we observe in the heavens. Math is merely a
language. Math does not reflect reality as such.

The truth or otherwise of that is a major philosophical debate in

which I do not want to engage. But I think quite a few people would
object to the apparent dogmatism of the way you state the claim for
one side of the debate.

I would think this whole enterprise would be cut short if everyone

involved had a grounding in physics and dynamics.

Yep. It would never have even started, given the obviously

nonsensical nature of Rick’s claim. He would not for a moment have
considered it if he had any physical intuition or background. He was
misled by the visual similarity of a mathematical expression that
was used for two different purposes in two different equations.
(Which is not what Ptolemy did, and I might argue with you about
Ptolemy anyway, because he did have an underlying assumption about
necessary mechanism, just as do we PCT-ers).

Unfortunately, a

background in the natural sciences is not a requirement for
studies in
psychology. It is all descriptive and taking high school physics
is not
expected. This has bedeviled CSGnet for decades. Not to mention
academia.

Yep. As I have mentioned once or twice, my first boss at the Defence

Lab where I worked was President of the Canadian Psychological
Association. At the time, the CPA was working on a declaration that
anyone intending a research career in psychology should not take
undergraduate psychology courses, but instead should study the
natural sciences or engineering and mathematics. All the same, for
the reasons you mention, I have tried to keep my contributions to
CSGnet descriptive for the most part. Only on this occasion, the
issue is not an issue relating to control. It is related to either
common sense or mathematics. Since the common sense approach has
been repeatedly rejected, I think the mathematical approach is
required.

I would love to see an explanation of this Power Law (what is the

significance of the power law anyway?) in plain language.

Is there a wikipedia site or such where I can be enlightened?

In Martin's equation, what does D stand for, V (and is 3 a normal

exponent, meaning VVV), and what is R?

Rick has posted links to the Marken-Shaffer paper <[https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3tcy8p46c957f7/MarkenShaffer2017.pdf?dl=0](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dropbox.com_s_g3tcy8p46c957f7_MarkenShaffer2017.pdf-3Fdl-3D0&d=DwMCaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=-dJBNItYEMOLt6aj_KjGi2LMO_Q8QB-ZzxIZIF8DGyQ&m=cEazQaJh8EgcZQj08nWUtfTJDtsU-bifnXG6rTc2njg&s=CuvnYC7kOeUK5LZkccU_dFRHlZsG5rP6M6AvDiUXqbs&e=)    >,

where they are explained.

Briefly, V is tangential velocity ds/dt along a curve at a point

where the radius of curvature is R and s is the distance along the
curve from an arbitrary zero point on the curve. “D” is the
denominator of an expression for R in Cartesian coordinates <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Local_expressions >
(actually, it gives C (curvature) which is 1/R, so D is the
numerator of that expression).

The "power law" is a finding that has been made in many experiments

over the last couple of decades and more in which some living
organism moves itself or some part of its body so that the movement
traces a curve. The usual finding in these experiments is that V =
cRk , where k is often found to be near 1/3, but when the
complexity (predictability?) of the curve is varied, k can range
from 0.1 to nearly 0.7 in a single experiment.

Alex initiated this by asking whether anyone had a PCT explanation

for the power law. So far, nobody has offered one, at least not one
that has been tested, so far as I know.

Martin
···
  Best, Dag

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.12.1215)]

(Adam Matic 2017.11.12)
RM: The [something] is the position of the finger. That is clearly a controlled variable.

AM: In a tracking task, yes. If you have a target moving in front of you, then controlling the position of the finger relative to the target explains the movement trajectory quite nicely. But a tracking task is not a curve tracing task. If you have a curve in front of you, or if you are instructed to draw a shape, there is no target to follow.Â

RM: Whether it's tracking or tracing or moving a cursor in an arbitrary pattern on the screen, we know that the resulting movement trajectory, if intentionally produced, is a controlled result because we know (from physics and/or from the fact that a variable disturbance is applied to the result by the experimenter) that the observed trajectory is being maintained in a reference state by variable outputs that compensate for variable disturbances and are, thus, uncorrelated with that trajectory.Â
Â

AM: So - when you show that trajectories of humans tracking helicopters shows a power law, that is an interesting finding. Maybe tracking some other objects would not show a power law, and there is a systematic effect of some features of target trajectories.

RM: The important point is that the trajectories of the control model of humans chasing helicopters show a power law. Our OVB analysis shows that whether or not you show a power law relationship between the curvature and velocity of a curved movement trajectory (where I presume "show a power law" means finding an high (close to 1.0) R^2 value for the fit of log (curvature) to log (velocity)) depends on the nature of the trajectory itself, not on how it was produced.Â

AM: - you cannot generalize from tracking to tracing, you'd need a working simulation of tracing to demonstrate your claim of explaining any features of human tracing

RM: We are not generalizing from tracking to tracing; we are predicting (based on the OVB analysis) the power coefficient that will be found for any movement trajectory, regardless of how it is produced.
Â

BP: What is interesting is that the fit between the Little Man and the real
data was found without considering tangential velocity profiles or doing
any scaling or normalization. In other words, the invariances noted by
the authors were simply side-effects of the operation of the control
systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm. In
the Little Man there is no trajectory planning, no storage of movement
parameters, no table-lookup facility, no computation of invariant
velocity profiles. The observed behavior is simply a reflection of the
organization of the control system and the physical plant.
Â
BP: The path which Atkeson, Hollerbach (and many others at MIT and
elsewhere) are treading is a blind alley, because no matter how
carefully the observations are made and the invariances are calculated,
there will be no hint of the control-system organization, the SIMPLE
control-system organization, that (I claim) is actually creating the
observed trajectories.

AM: Bill is saying that his control architecture is far simpler that the one proposed by Hollerbach and Atkeson, and it still produces the bell shaped velocity profiles when moving from point to point. He is not saying that the velocity profiles are a statistical illusion, as you claim with OVB.

RM: Bill doesn't use the term "illusion" here but he is definitely saying that the velocity profiles are an illusion in the same sense that we are saying that the power law is an illusion: in both cases these observed "invariances" are side-effects of control that appear to reveal something important about how behavior works, but don't. Several of Bill's statements in that post are consistent with this interpretation:Â

BP: In a great deal of modern behavioral research, trajectories of movement are examined in the hope of finding invariants that will reveal secrets of behavior

Â

BP: What is interesting is that the fit between the Little Man [control model] and the real data was found without considering tangential velocity profiles...

Â

BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were simply side-effects of the operation of the control systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm.

Â
and in particular:Â
Â

BP: The path which Atkeson, Hollerbach (and many others at MIT and elsewhere) are treading is a blind alley, because no matter how carefully the observations are made and the invariances are calculated, there will be no hint of the control-system organization, the SIMPLE control-system organization, that (I claim) is actually creating the observed trajectories.

RM: People are led down blind alleys by chimeras -- illusions that there is something important to be found down that alley, such as something that will reveal secrets of behavior.Â
Â

AM: If we want to explain power law trajectories in humans, we need to create control systems that produce power law trajectories in those same tasks. That is really what a lot of people are doing, just with more complicated (or in other ways different) control systems.Â

RM: I don't believe that these are input control models because I have not seen the term "controlled variable" in a description of any of these models. I have seen no evidence that power law researchers even know what control is.Â

AM:Â One of many issues with using the OVB here, is that that analysis gives you a "deviation from the true exponent" regardless of r2, the coefficient of determination of regression analysis between logC and logA. Run the OVB on any sort of non-power law trajectory, and you'll still get a deviation from 2/3, as if it means something.Â

RM: What is a "non-power law" trajectory? I presume it's one that doesn't show a satisfactory fit (low R^2) of log (curvature)) to log (velocity). OVB analysis is based on the fact that there is a mathematical relationship between the measures of C and A that are used in this regression analysis to determine whether or not there is a power relationship between these variables. The mathematical relationship is or the form:Â
log (A) = 2/3*log(C) + 1/3 * log (D)
where A is a measure of velocity, C is a measure of curvature and D is the "Cross -product" variable. When only the variables C and A are included in the regression analysis, OVB says that the coefficient of log (C) that is found using regression will deviate from 2/3 by an amount that depends on the covariance between log (C) and the omitted variable, log (D). This covariance depends on the nature of the trajectory itself. When a regression of log (C) on log (A) is done for trajectories where the covariance between log(D) and log (C) is near 0, the regression coefficient for log (C) will be close to 2/3 and R^2 will be close to 1.0 because log(C) alone accounts for most of the variance in log(A); these trajectories will be seen to follow the power law. When a regression of log (C) on log (A) is done for trajectories where the covariance between log(D) and log (C) is high, the regression coefficient for log (C) will deviate from 2/3 and R^2 will be low because log(C) alone accounts for much of the variance in log(A). These trajectories will not follow the power law inasmuch as the exponent found by regression will not be close to 2/3 and the R^2 will be low.Â
Â

AM: You're trying to explain how to calculate relatively trivial things to mathematicians and physicists, and using some obscure statistical trickery. I mean, sure, if that rocks your boat, if you don't have better things to do, but don't call that PCT.Â

RM: I am not calling the OVB analysis PCT; indeed, in our paper we don't even use the term "Perceptual Control Theory" or PCT(contrary to Martin's assertion in the comment that he plans to submit to EBR). PCT comes in before OVB, but it is not explicitly called that. It comes in in the "Correlation and Causality" section of the paper where we say:Â

RM&DS: A third variable explanation requires that the cause of movement—the muscle forces— consistently affects curvature and nd velocity in such a way that velocity is a power function of curvature. However, this explanation ignores the fact that different muscle forces are required to produce the same movement trajectory on different occasions due to variations in the circumstances that exist each time the movement is produced (Marken 1988). For example, the forces required to move a finger in an elliptical trajectory are different each time the movement is produced due to slight changes in one’s orientation relative to gravity. Therefore, muscle forces will not be consistently related to the curvature and velocity of the movement; the same power relationship between curvature and velocity will be associated with somewhat different muscle forces each time the same movement trajectory is produced. Â

Â
RM: In other words, if the trajectory is a controlled result of output then the power law relationship between A and C must be a side-effect of control. The OVB hypothesis is simply an explanation of why this side-effect is consistently observed. The answer, according to OVB, is that it is due to the fact hat there is a mathematical 2/3 power relationship between measurements of A and C that will be found by a regression analysis that includes only C as a predictor of A. But the degree to which a 2/3 power relationship will be found by such a regression depends on the extent to which the variance of the D component of the trajectory being analyzed covaries with the C component.Â
RM: By the way, I have learned that the D variable, which we call the "cross product" variable in our paper, is the affine velocity component of a movement trajectory. And it is known that when this component of a trajectory is constant the relationship between A and C will be a perfect power law. As noted above, this is what is predicted by OVB analysis because when log affine velocity (log D) is constant, the covariance between it and log (C) is 0 so the estimate of the power coefficient of C in a regressions of C on A will be exactly 2/3 and the R^2 will be 1.0. So what we show via OVB analysis was already known to the power law community. Obviously, their interpretation of this fact is different from ours. We will explain why our interpretation is right and theirs is wrong in our rebuttal to your rebuttal to our paper. But I guess we will now have to wait on our rebuttal until we find out whether EBR also publishes Martin's reply to our paper.Â
RM: So many misunderstandings of control theory, so little time.
Best
Rick

···

--
Richard S. MarkenÂ
"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Dag Forssell 2017.11.12 19:45 PST]

[Martin Taylor 2017.11.2.13.59]
`

`Thanks Martin.

> OK. The substance of this debate is that it is in principle impossible to derive velocities from a description of a spatial quantity, but Marken and Shaffer claim to have done the impossible. The debate is about the accuracy of their claim,

This says enough. I think I remember Rick saying he divided by dt to get velocity. For sure you cant create velocity out of thin air by sleight of hand.

but when the complexity (predictability?) of the curve is varied, k can range from 0.1 to nearly 0.7 in a single experiment.

So there is not much of a law here, is there?

···

==========

Use of equations is sometimes interesting.

When Powers presented the inverted pendulum at Schloss Kroechlendorff in '98, he stressed that he did not just use vector analysis to transport force from the bob to the cart. He actually went through the exercise of compressing the rod, given its elasticity, to bring the weight of the bob to bear on the cart. I am no clear about how much difference that made, if any.

Similarly, I understand Newton’s law a = f/m. Applying force to a mass results in acceleration. That does not mean that f = m*a. Nor m = f/a. The latter two are not what happens (it does not work backwards), though engineers and others will not hesitate to permutate the equation this way.

We sorely miss Powers. Perhaps someone will emerge as standardbearer for PCT in the future, or from our current occasional or lurking participants on CSGnet. Someone who understands physics and natural science, along with an understanding of neurology and psychology. Bill studied it all and communicated lucidly.

In the meantime, it will continue to be a group effort. Seems to me that Bruce Nevin is doing a good job providing direction to IAPCT. I appceciate your persistence as well as Alex Gomez-Marin’s clarity and the efforts of several others.

> (Which is not what Ptolemy did, and I might argue with you about Ptolemy anyway, because he did have an underlying assumption about necessary mechanism, just as do we PCT-ers).

Yes, I have considered Ptolemy recently for a presentation on PCT I am working on. At first I called Ptolemy’s astronomy a descriptive science, but have deleted that. I think it is fair to say that his was a generative science with considerable predictive powers thanks to the regularities of heavenly movements. Only the physics were a bit off.

Thanks again,

Dag

[Dag Forssell 2017.11.12 19:45 PST]

[Martin Taylor
2017.11.2.13.59]
`

`Thanks Martin.

> OK. The substance of this debate > is that it is in principle impossible to derive velocities from a > description of a spatial quantity, but Marken and Shaffer claim to have > done the impossible. The debate is about the accuracy of their > claim,

This says enough. I think I remember Rick saying he divided by dt
to get velocity. For sure you cant create velocity out of thin air by
sleight of hand.

but when the complexity
(predictability?) of the curve is varied, k can range from 0.1 to nearly
0.7 in a single experiment.

So there is not much of a law here, is there?

···

==========

Use of equations is sometimes interesting.

When Powers presented the inverted pendulum at Schloss Kroechlendorff in
'98, he stressed that he did not just use vector analysis to transport
force from the bob to the cart. He actually went through the exercise of
compressing the rod, given its elasticity, to bring the weight of the bob
to bear on the cart. I am no clear about how much difference that
made, if any.

Similarly, I understand Newton’s law a = f/m. Applying force to a
mass results in acceleration. That does not mean that f =
m*a. Nor m = f/a. The latter two are not what happens (it
does not work backwards), though engineers and others will not hesitate
to permutate the equation this way.

We sorely miss Powers. Perhaps someone will emerge as standardbearer for
PCT in the future, or from our current occasional or lurking participants
on CSGnet. Someone who understands physics and natural science, along
with an understanding of neurology and psychology. Bill studied it all
and communicated lucidly.

In the meantime, it will continue to be a group effort. Seems to me that
Bruce Nevin is doing a good job providing direction to IAPCT. I
appceciate your persistence as well as Alex Gomez-Marin’s clarity and the
efforts of several others.

> (Which is not what Ptolemy did, > and I might argue with you about Ptolemy anyway, because he did have an > underlying assumption about necessary mechanism, just as do we > PCT-ers).

Yes, I have considered Ptolemy recently for a presentation on PCT I am
working on. At first I called Ptolemy’s astronomy a descriptive
science, but have deleted that. I think it is fair to say that his
was a generative science with considerable predictive powers thanks to
the regularities of heavenly movements. Only the physics were a bit off.

Thanks again,

Dag

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2017-11-13 10:54]

···

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.10.1140)]

Eetu Pikkarainen (2017-11-10 10:53)–

EP: Marken&Shaffer started their strange statistical argumentation

RM: Strange to those who don’t understand multivariate statistics. Quite reasonable to those who do, like the reviewers action editor of our paper.

EP: Strange to power law researchers and many others. Not strange in the sense that authors often use statistical tricks and sleight of hand to prove something they believe but others don’t. Your agenda is to show that
current power law research is garbage which should be replaced by COV type research. But your trick is not familiar, it is strange in the sense that OVB is a new invention.

EP: by first stating that the cause of the movement – muscle forces – cannot explain the co correlation between velocity and curvature because “different muscle
forces are required to produce the same movement trajectory on different occasions due to variations in the circumstances that exist each time the movement is produced.� I think that is not very plausible inference. If different muscle forces can produce
the SAME movement trajectory on different occasions then why could they not produce also the similar correlation on those occasions?

RM: Because it’s not the muscle forces alone that are producing the similar correlation (by which I presume you mean the power law relationship between curvature and velocity). This is why the existence of the power law tells nothing about
how the movement is produced. The existence of the power law is a side effect of controlling the position of the finger (or pen or whatever) when tracing out a curved trajectory of movement. Our statistical analysis simply shows why this side effect (a power
law with a coefficient close to 1/3 or 2/3) is consistently observed. The power law is a statistical consequence of how curvature and velocity are measured; it has nothing to do with how the curved trajectory was produced.

EP: Sorry, I see no sense here. First you say that power law is a side effect of controlling the position of the moving object and that it is not produced by the muscle forces alone. That is reasonable: it is produced
simultaneously by subject’s output and environmental disturbances like the consequences of action generally are. Then you say that your statistical analysis shows why this phenomenon is consistently observed. So your statistical analysis is not about the studied
movements but about the observing? (Interesting meta point of view.) And finally you say (against the first statement) that the power law has nothing to do with the controlling but is purely produced by the measurement. But wasn’t that OVB method your own
invention with which you can create a necessary mathematical “power law� dependence between speed and curvature to any possible trajectory? That is not what power law researchers has done when they have found trajectories without any dependence.

Eetu

Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

[From Bruce Nevin (2017.11.13.09:54 ET)]

I alluded to this earlier. Here, again, but more explicitly.

Martin Taylor 2017.11.2.13.59 –

The substance of this debate is that it is in principle impossible to derive velocities from a description of a spatial quantity, but Marken and Shaffer claim to have done the impossible. The debate is about the accuracy of their claim

Martin Taylor 2017.08.14.14.14 –

To explain this consistent velocity variation, Marken and Shaffer create what they claim to be an equation for velocity as a function of the radius of curvature, V=D1/3R1/3. Although this looks like an equation relating V and R, it is not, because their D is proportional to V3 whatever the radius of curvature. The equation therefore indicates that V is functionally independent of R. Conceptually also, V must be functionally independent of R, since velocity is a joint function of distance and time, whereas the radius of curvature is defined only by spatial variables.Â

This seems relevant to your objection, Martin:

Bruce Abbott (2017.11.08.1015 EDT) –

Â

···

/Bruce

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:35 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi wrote:

[Eetu Pikkarainen  2017-11-13 10:54]

Â

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.10.1140)]

Eetu Pikkarainen (2017-11-10 10:53)–

EP: Marken&Shaffer started their strange statistical argumentation

Â

RM: Strange to those who don’t understand multivariate statistics. Quite reasonable to those who do, like the reviewers action editor of our paper.Â

Â

EP: Strange to power law researchers and many others. Not strange in the sense that authors often use statistical tricks and sleight of hand to prove something they believe but others don’t. Your agenda is to show that
current power law research is garbage which should be replaced by COV type research. But your trick is not familiar, it is strange in the sense that OVB is a new invention.

Â

EP: by first stating that the cause of the movement – muscle forces – cannot explain the ce correlation between velocity and curvature because “different muscle
forces are required to produce the same movement trajectory on different occasions due to variations in the circumstances that exist each time the movement is produced.� I think that is not very plausible inference. If different muscle forces can produce
the SAME movement trajectory on different occasions then why could they not produce also the similar correlation on those occasions?

Â

RM: Because it’s not the muscle forces alone that are producing the similar correlation (by which I presume you mean the power law relationship between curvature and velocity). This is why the existence of the power law tells nothing about
how the movement is produced. The existence of the power law is a side effect of controlling the position of the finger (or pen or whatever) when tracing out a curved trajectory of movement. Our statistical analysis simply shows why this side effect (a power
law with a coefficient close to 1/3 or 2/3) is consistently observed. The power law is a statistical consequence of how curvature and velocity are measured; it has nothing to do with how the curved trajectory was produced.

Â

EP: Sorry, I see no sense here. First you say that power law is a side effect of controlling the position of the moving object and that it is not produced by the muscle forces alone. That is reasonable: it is produced
simultaneously by subject’s output and environmental disturbances like the consequences of action generally are. Then you say that your statistical analysis shows why this phenomenon is consistently observed. So your statistical analysis is not about the studied
movements but about the observing? (Interesting meta point of view.) And finally you say (against the first statement) that the power law has nothing to do with the controlling but is purely produced by the measurement. But wasn’t that OVB method your own
invention with which you can create a necessary mathematical “power law� dependence between speed and curvature to any possible trajectory? That is not what power law researchers has done when they have found trajectories without any dependence.

Â

Â

Eetu

Â

Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

[From Adam Matic]

···

AM: In Bill’s example with the Little Man moving the arm from point to point, the specific trajectory produced is a side effect of controlling position. The speed profile of the trajectory is bell shaped, starting slow, then increasing to a certain value, then decreasing when nearing the target point. In that example the trajectory is explicitly not a controlled variable. So, when you say that the trajectory is intentionally produced, or that it is a controlled result, are you also implying that there is a reference trajectory?

Because if you are, you would be agreeing with Atkeson and Hollerbach, at least in the part where they assume trajectory is specified in advance, and provided as a reference.

Maybe you mean that the path is controlled?

By ‘trajectory’ I mean a series of points in time, where a path is just a series of points, without time being specified.

AM: Yes, the models’ trajectories are also interesting. And yes, absolutely, if we would want to say a trajectory shows a power law. the r2 would need to be very high.

AM:

And yet - he is explicitly looking for those same side effects in the trajectories of the Little Man. The blind alley is assuming assuming that trajectories are the controlled variable and that the brain, via inverse dynamics and kinematics is calculating the trajectories in advance and providing them as the reference signal.

AM: They don’t use PCT style control, true. Like I said, different, more complicated control systems.

Yes. Satisfactory being very close to 1.

Good.

AM: What exactly do you mean by the term ‘controlled result’?

Adam

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.12.1215)]

RM: Whether it’s tracking or tracing or moving a cursor in an arbitrary pattern on the screen, we know that the resulting movement trajectory, if intentionally produced, is a controlled result because we know (from physics and/or from the fact that a variable disturbance is applied to the result by the experimenter) that the observed trajectory is being maintained in a reference state by variable outputs that compensate for variable disturbances and are, thus, uncorrelated with that trajectory.

AM: So - when you show that trajectories of humans tracking helicopters shows a power law, that is an interesting finding. Maybe tracking some other objects would not show a power law, and there is a systematic effect of some features of target trajectories.

RM: The important point is that the trajectories of the control model of humans chasing helicopters show a power law. Our OVB analysis shows that whether or not you show a power law relationship between the curvature and velocity of a curved movement trajectory (where I presume “show a power law” means finding an high (close to 1.0) R^2 value for the fit of log (curvature) to log (velocity)) depends on the nature of the trajectory itself, not on how it was produced.

RM: Bill doesn’t use the term “illusion” here but he is definitely saying that the velocity profiles are an illusion in the same sense that we are saying that the power law is an illusion: in both cases these observed “invariances” are side-effects of control that appear to reveal something important about how behavior works, but don’t. Several of Bill’s statements in that post are consistent with this interpretation:

BP: In a great deal of modern behavioral research, trajectories of movement are examined in the hope of finding invariants that *will reveal secrets *of behavior.
BP: What is interesting is that the fit between the Little Man [control model] and the real data was found without considering tangential velocity profiles
BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were *simply side-effects of the operation of the control *systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm.
BP: The path which Atkeson, Hollerbach (and many others at MIT and elsewhere) are treading is a blind alley, because no matter how carefully the observations are made and the invariances are calculated, there will be no hint of the control-system organization, the SIMPLE control-system organization, that (I claim) is actually creating the observed trajectories.
and in particular:
RM: People are led down blind alleys by chimeras – illusions that there is something important to be found down that alley, such as something that will reveal secrets of behavior.

RM: I don’t believe that these are input control models because I have not seen the term “controlled variable” in a description of any of these models. I have seen no evidence that power law researchers even know what control is.

RM: What is a “non-power law” trajectory? I presume it’s one that doesn’t show a satisfactory fit (low R^2) of log (curvature)) to log (velocity).

RM: I am not calling the OVB analysis PCT; indeed, in our paper we don’t even use the term “Perceptual Control Theory” or PCT(contrary to Martin’s assertion in the comment that he plans to submit to EBR). PCT comes in before OVB, but it is not explicitly called that. It comes in in the “Correlation and Causality” section of the paper where we say:

RM: In other words, if the trajectory is a controlled result of output then the power law relationship between A and C must be a side-effect of control.

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.14.2230)]

···

[From Adam Matic]

RM: Good point. Yes, we know what’s controlled by the little man and it’s not a trajectory; it’s the position of the finger relative to the target. This does require varying the reference for the position of the finger over time. But the trajectory of that change is not controlled.Â

RM: Is there some critical value of r2 that qualifies a trajectory as “Showing a power law”? I am also finding that, in general, a power law fits the regression of log(C) on log (A) better than the regression of log (R) on log (V). Also I’ve found that filtering has a big effect on both the fit and the exponent of the best fit power relationship between curvature and velocity. This seems to me to indicate that the power law tells you mainly about properties of the movement trajectory itself and little if anything about how it was produced.Â

RM: I don’t think Bill was saying that the blind alley Atkeson & Hollerbach were going down was that they assumed that trajectories are a controlled variable. There is no evidence that Atkeson & Hollerbach knew what a controlled variable is. I think it’s pretty clear that Bill was saying that Atkeson & Hollerbach thought of the invariance of tangential velocity profiles as indicating something about how the movements that result in these trajectories are produced; that is, these profiles were thought to reveal some “secret of behavior”. The situation seems exactly analogous that of the invariant power law, which is also thought to reveal a secret about the movements that produce the movements that follow the power law. Â

RM: I mean a “controlled variable”. The power law is a side effect of control whether the controlled variable is a trajectory (as it was in my initial SIMPLE models, where the controlled variable was an elliptical trajectory) or the difference between a cursor and moving target or whether it is the variable output that keeps a higher level variable under control (as it is in the COV model described in our paper).Â

RM: These are very good questions Adam. But did you see my suggestion, made in a reply to Bruce Abbott, regarding how you might actually study the relationship between curvature and velocity of movement that could reveal something about how movement is produced. Ah, I found it. Here it is:Â

RM: This and your reference to “tracing” made me realize that the problem with power law research, from a control theory perspective, stems from the fact that the measures of velocity and curvature that are used as the variables in the regression used to determine the power law are measures of properties of the same trajectory; that is, measures of V and R are based on the same x,y values from the same movement trajectory. Zago et al mention a couple studies (Lacquaniti et al. 1983; Catavitello et al. 2016) where “the movement was guided by asking participants to follow with the pen tip the inner edge of a Plexiglas template cut by a numerical control milling machine.” This is the kind of study where it is possible to get measures of curvature and velocity that are truly independent of each other. This would be the case if the measures of curvature at each point in the movement trajectory were obtained from the template and the measures of velocity at each point in the movement trajectory were obtained from the pen tip. Call the coordinates of the template from the starting to the ending position of the pen x,y and the coordinates of the pen tip from its starting to ending position x’,y’. So C would be a function of x,y and V would be a function of x’,y’. Now you could determine whether people are controlling a variable, such as the one you mention, centrifugal force, that is a function of two independent variables C and V. C is now a legitimate measure of a possible disturbance variable and V is a measure of an aspect of the output variable. The CV (such as angular momentum or centrifugal force) would be a joint function of these two variables. Indeed, the best way to do the research would be to see if you could find a variable that is a function of C and V that remains nearly constant throughout the movement.Â

RM: What do you think of that idea?Â

AM: In Bill’s example with the Little Man moving the arm from point to point, the specific trajectory produced is a side effect of controlling position. The speed profile of the trajectory is bell shaped, starting slow, then increasing to a certain value, then decreasing when nearing the target point. In that example the trajectory is explicitly not a controlled variable. So, when you say that the trajectory is intentionally produced, or that it is a controlled result, are you also implying that there is a reference trajectory?

AM: Yes, the models’ trajectories are also interesting. And yes, absolutely, if we would want to say a trajectory shows a power law. the r2 would need to be very high.Â

RM: The important point is that the trajectories of the control model of humans chasing helicopters show a power law. Our OVB analysis shows that whether or not you show a power law relationship between the curvature and velocity of a curved movement trajectory (where I presume “show a power law” means finding an high (close to 1.0) R^2 value for the fit of log (curvature) to log (velocity)) depends on the nature of the trajectory itself, not on how it was produced.Â

Â

AM: And yet - he is explicitly looking for those same side effects in the trajectories of the Little Man. The blind alley is assuming assuming that trajectories are the controlled variable and that the brain, via inverse dynamics and kinematics is calculating the trajectories in advance and providing them as the reference signal.

RM: Bill doesn’t use the term “illusion” here but he is definitely saying that the velocity profiles are an illusion in the same sense that we are saying that the power law is an illusion: in both cases these observed “invariances” are side-effects of control that appear to reveal something important about how behavior works, but don’t. Several of Bill’s statements in that post are consistent with this interpretation:Â Â

BP: In a great deal of modern behavioral research, trajectories of movement are examined in the hope of finding invariants that *will reveal secrets *of behavior
BP: What is interesting is that the fit between the Little Man [control model] and the real data was found without considering tangential velocity profiles
BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were *simply side-effects of the operation of the control *systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm.
BP: The path which Atkeson, Hollerbach (and many others at MIT and elsewhere) are treading is a blind alley, because no matter how carefully the observations are made and the invariances are calculated, there will be no hint of the control-system organization, the SIMPLE control-system organization, that (I claim) is actually creating the observed trajectories.
and in particular:Â
RM: People are led down blind alleys by chimeras – illusions that there is something important to be found down that alley, such as something that will reveal secrets of behavior.Â

AM: What exactly do you mean by the term ‘controlled result’?

RM: In other words, if the trajectory is a controlled result of output then the power law relationship between A and C must be a side-effect of control.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.15 0925 EST)]

Adam Matic [dated 11/13/2017 3:27 PM ]

AM: In Bill’s example with the Little Man moving the arm from point to point, the specific trajectory produced is a side effect of controlling position. The speed profile of the trajectory is bell shaped, starting slow, then increasing to a certain value, then decreasing when nearing the target point. In that example the trajectory is explicitly not a controlled variable.

Hi Adam,

EJ: Wouldn’t such a bell-shaped speed profile be a by-product of the Proportional-Integral nature of the typical PCT output function? Since it is proportional to (position) error, with a delay in building up its output, there is a gradually increasing curve as to speed. As the error decreases when nearing the target, the speed also slows down, but again with a delay from the integral portion, seeing as there is still an accumulated error that the output is proportional to.

EJ: I have to say, mathematics is like a second language to me that I hear other people speak and I understand some of, but I do not fluently speak it myself. To understand the arguments being presented, I look for intuitive ways to capture the gist of what a given equation represents.

EJ: A piece that confuses me is as follows: Speed is the way to control Position (actually Velocity, which includes both the magnitude of speed and its direction, as in your co-authored Zago 2017 paper), and Acceleration is the way to change Speed, and Force is the way to change Acceleration. But in a hierarchical PCT arrangement for controlling Position, don’t all of these implementing layers below that relationship level of Position become pursuit tracking tasks in their own right, since references for changing each of those implementing perceptions are also being generated?

EJ: While we usually speak of the control happening at a given level of perception, and below that changes happening as needed to offset the effects of disturbances, doesn’t the “as needed” portion mean that a number of implementing perceptions are controlled as well? Isn’t it turtles all the way down and control all the way out?

EJ: That doesn’t mean everything about what is produced is getting controlled, as in your discussion above about the trajectory of the Little Man pointing arm. Or as Bill Powers noted in a portion of Rick’s post that you cited: “BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were simply side-effects of the operation of the control systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm.”

EJ: If my discussion of the speed profile above is correct, then it seems we are learning something (but not much) about the dynamics of a control system, and thus how the movement is produced. We learn that a PI controller is part of the output function.

EJ: Thanks for your contributions. All the best.

Erling

···

Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employer or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and delete the material from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

[Martin Taylor 2017.11.15.11.29]

[From Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.15 0925 EST)]

Adam Matic [dated 11/13/2017 3:27 PM ]

>AM: In Bill's example with the Little Man moving the

arm from point to point, the specific trajectory produced is a
side effect of controlling position. The speed profile of the
trajectory is bell shaped, starting slow, then increasing to a
certain value, then decreasing when nearing the target point.
In that example the trajectory is explicitly not a controlled
variable.

Hi Adam,

EJ:  Wouldn't such a bell-shaped speed profile be a

by-product of the Proportional-Integral nature of the typical
PCT output function?

Yes, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you aren't on the same

track as I am. I’m trying to make a spreadsheet that implements most
of what you say next, to see how it works on real curves.

EJ:  A piece that confuses me is as follows:  Speed is the

way to control Position (actually Velocity, which includes
both the magnitude of speed and its direction, as in your
co-authored Zago 2017 paper), and Acceleration is the way to
change Speed, and Force is the way to change Acceleration.
But in a hierarchical PCT arrangement for controlling
Position, don’t all of these implementing layers below that
relationship level of Position become pursuit tracking tasks
in their own right, since references for changing each of
those implementing perceptions are also being generated?

Not pursuit tracking, which implies chasing an ever-changing target.

Here, only the reference values for the perceptions are being
varied. That makes no difference to the error, so there’s no
practical difference to that control loop. But it makes a conceptual
difference that helps one to imagine how the structure works out in
the task.

EJ:  While we usually speak of the control happening at a

given level of perception, and below that changes happening as
needed to offset the effects of disturbances, doesn’t the “as
needed” portion mean that a number of implementing perceptions
are controlled as well? Isn’t it turtles all the way down and
control all the way out?

That is the way the hierarchy is conceived, yes.
      EJ:  That doesn't mean everything about what is produced is

getting controlled, as in your discussion above about
the trajectory of the Little Man pointing arm. Or as Bill
Powers noted in a portion of Rick’s post that you cited: “BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were * simply side-effects of the
operation of the control* systems of the arm interacting with the
dynamics of the physical arm.”

EJ:  If my discussion of the speed

profile above is correct, then it seems we are learning
something (but not much) about the dynamics of a control
system, and thus how the movement is produced. We learn
that a PI controller is part of the output function.

Perhaps, but since there are at least two stages

of integration in the environment, we should be cautious in
accepting that as a necessary part of the system. Again, my
intuition says that it probably is, but that’s not a good guide.

What is ultimately being produced is a force. If

there’s no viscosity, all the force does is accelerate the mass of
the moving object. The integral of acceleration is velocity, and
the double integral of acceleration is location. If there is
viscosity, then f=ma doesn’t apply once the velocity is non-zero.
Depending on the medium, the force increasingly is used to push
the moving object through the medium and diminishingly to
accelerate it. Asymtotically, the output force only is used to
maintain a velocity, if disturbances and higher references don’t
change. But the higher reference does change, because it is some
form of location that is being controlled, so most of the time the
viscous (velocity) and mass (acceleration) aspects of the
environmental feedback path both come into play. My intuition is
that once the appropriate controlled perception is found, the
interplay of these effects will result in the observed
power-function relationships between velocity and radius of
curvature.

What might be a controlled perception? Where the moving object

should be at some time t in the future? In Rick’s helicopter
catching study, would it be where the helicopter is now (his
model) or where it seems to be going? When you are driving on a
windy road, is it the same as when a fly larva is trying to get to
food? Do differences in the controlled perception lead to the
differences in observed power in the power law, or are those
difference entirely due to differences in the environment?

Many questions. I suspect that simulation that guides experiment

might be a way to design appropriate Tests for the controlled
variable, but even without that, experimenters could try
disturbances such as attaching different masses to a scribbling
finger or one tracing a prescribed curve, or using fluids such as
silicones of different viscosity either on surfaces or for
immersion. Who knows, some of them might affect the observed
power. If not, then we are no worse off. I plan to try it out in
my spreadsheet, but I’m a lousy excel programmer, so I may have a
problem making it do the necessary. Don’t hold your breath – or
better, try it for yourself.

Martin

[From Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.15 1212 EST)]

Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.15 0925 EST)

Martin Taylor 2017.11.15.11.29

EJ: Just a clarification.

EJ: But in a hierarchical PCT arrangement for controlling Position, don’t all of these implementing layers below that relationship level of Position become pursuit tracking tasks in their own right, since references for changing each of those implementing perceptions are also being generated?

MT: Not pursuit tracking, which implies chasing an ever-changing target. Here, only the reference values for the perceptions are being varied.

EJ: As I am visualizing it, the ever-changing reference values are the target that the perceptions are chasing. That is why a tracking task is a paradigmatic model for examining control, regardless of the type of control involved. It may represent relational position, degree of loudness when listening to music, an acceptable rate of return on an investment, the extent to which one’s sense of self is being portrayed genuinely. All of those are matching tasks, where a current perception is chasing a preferred reference for that perception.

EJ: If the perception is being pushed away from an already acceptable preference state, we call that compensatory tracking. But if the reference signal is leading the way in a changing manner, isn’t that pursuit tracking? I realize the distinction is a little artificial, because control is never perfect, so adjustments are common with either method.

EJ: By the way, I like the questions you ask and the issues you are pursuing (there’s that tracking task again!) in the rest of your post. You’re right, testing the hierarchical linkages to see what is actually produced (and/or controlled) at each level is the way to go. I haven’t zeroed in on the kinds of perceptions that might be controlled with drawing or moving along curves. I don’t think I quite understand how the tasks are being set up. The so-called power-law, when it applies, is like a data point, an outcome that should emerge from a proper model, whether from internal or external constraints on the dynamics of how the model operates.

All the best,

Erling

···

Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employer or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and delete the material from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

[From Adam Matic 2017.12.15]

···

From Rick Marken (2017.11.14.2230)

AM:

Generally, the r2 of published power-law findings are in the middle-high eighties and above. Lower than that doesn’t look very linear on the log-log plot. Details on the filtering procedures are also published, usually some low-pass filtering to remove noise from the data.

The existence or non-existence of the power law is, of course, only the property of the trajectory itself, weather produced by a human or a physical system or generated by some algorithm. It is interesting that it has been found in many biological movements, but that absolutely doesn’t say anything about how those trajectories were produced by the organisms. Historically, there are two main families of hypotheses that aim to explain the power law - that organisms plan their trajectories to fit the power law and execute them as planned, or that they plan something else, and the power law emerges from the behavior of the system as a side effect. Take Huh & Sejnowski with the minimum jerk model is an example of first, and Gribble and Ostry with equilibrium point and arm physics of second family.

AM:

Bill starts that post by referring to the dominant approach to trajectory planning, with inverse dynamics and kinematics. If a researcher assumes that the resulting trajectory is at the same time the planned trajectory, then he needs to figure out how that planned trajectory gets converted to joint angles, torques, muscle forces, etc, to produce the resulting trajectory.

More discussion of Hollerbach and Atkeson in Bill Powers (931029.0750 MDT)

BP:What the authors hope for is that by finding invariants such as velocity profiles, they will be able to deduce a motor program that will produce constant results in object space even when variations in torque are required."

BP:It’s clear in Atkeson and Hollerbach that the torques are going to be computed so as to have the required object-space consequences and that proprioceptive and visual feedback are not considered. All approaches that propose to use inverse kinematic or inverse dynamical computations are also attempting to solve the problem open-loop. "

AM:

An analogous blind alley in PCT would be assuming that the trajectory itself is the controlled variable. If it is, then there is a reference trajectory created before the movement. Then you need to explain how this reference trajectory is created in the first place, and how it gets realized downstream in the hierarchy, interacting with the environment, etc.

AM:

If the trajectory you used as the reference was also a power-law trajectory, that doesn’t say much, just moves the problem to the planning stage.

AM:

It is not a problem that V and R are measures of the same trajectory (x, y and time), they are independent variables regardless of how you construct the experiment. I agree with the last sentence, though. There should be something constant.

Adam

RM: Is there some critical value of r2 that qualifies a trajectory as “Showing a power law”? I am also finding that, in general, a power law fits the regression of log(C) on log (A) better than the regression of log (R) on log (V). Also I’ve found that filtering has a big effect on both the fit and the exponent of the best fit power relationship between curvature and velocity. This seems to me to indicate that the power law tells you mainly about properties of the movement trajectory itself and little if anything about how it was produced.

RM: I don’t think Bill was saying that the blind alley Atkeson & Hollerbach were going down was that they assumed that trajectories are a controlled variable. There is no evidence that Atkeson & Hollerbach knew what a controlled variable is. I think it’s pretty clear that Bill was saying that Atkeson & Hollerbach thought of the invariance of tangential velocity profiles as indicating something about how the movements that result in these trajectories are produced; that is, these profiles were thought to reveal some “secret of behavior”. The situation seems exactly analogous that of the invariant power law, which is also thought to reveal a secret about the movements that produce the movements that follow the power law.

RM: I mean a “controlled variable”. The power law is a side effect of control whether the controlled variable is a trajectory (as it was in my initial SIMPLE models, where the controlled variable was an elliptical trajectory) or the difference between a cursor and moving target or whether it is the variable output that keeps a higher level variable under control (as it is in the COV model described in our paper).

RM: These are very good questions Adam. But did you see my suggestion, made in a reply to Bruce Abbott, regarding how you might actually study the relationship between curvature and velocity of movement that could reveal something about how movement is produced. Ah, I found it. Here it is:

RM: This and your reference to “tracing” made me realize that the problem with power law research, from a control theory perspective, stems from the fact that the measures of velocity and curvature that are used as the variables in the regression used to determine the power law are measures of properties of the same trajectory; that is, measures of V and R are based on the same x,y values from the same movement trajectory. Zago et al mention a couple studies (Lacquaniti et al. 1983; Catavitello et al. 2016) where “the movement was guided by asking participants to follow with the pen tip the inner edge of a Plexiglas template cut by a numerical control milling machine.” This is the kind of study where it is possible to get measures of curvature and velocity that are truly independent of each other. This would be the case if the measures of curvature at each point in the movement trajectory were obtained from the template and the measures of velocity at each point in the movement trajectory were obtained from the pen tip. Call the coordinates of the template from the starting to the ending position of the pen x,y and the coordinates of the pen tip from its starting to ending position x’,y’. So C would be a function of x,y and V would be a function of x’,y’. Now you could determine whether people are controlling a variable, such as the one you mention, centrifugal force, that is a function of two independent variables C and V. C is now a legitimate measure of a possible disturbance variable and V is a measure of an aspect of the output variable. The CV (such as angular momentum or centrifugal force) would be a joint function of these two variables. Indeed, the best way to do the research would be to see if you could find a variable that is a function of C and V that remains nearly constant throughout the movement.

RM: What do you think of that idea?

from Adam Matic

Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.15 0925 EST)
Hi Adam,

EJ: Wouldn't such a bell-shaped speed profile be a by-product of the Proportional-Integral nature of the typical PCT output function? Since it is proportional to (position) error, with a delay in building up its output, there is a gradually increasing curve as to speed. As the error decreases when nearing the target, the speed also slows down, but again with a delay from the integral portion, seeing as there is still an accumulated error that the output is proportional to.

AM:
Hi Erling, yes, it seems the speed profiles were the result of systems acting exactly like that.

EJ: I have to say, mathematics is like a second language to me that I hear other people speak and I understand some of, but I do not fluently speak it myself. To understand the arguments being presented, I look for intuitive ways to capture the gist of what a given equation represents.
EJ: A piece that confuses me is as follows: Speed is the way to control Position (actually Velocity, which includes both the magnitude of speed and its direction, as in your co-authored Zago 2017 paper), and Acceleration is the way to change Speed, and Force is the way to change Acceleration. But in a hierarchical PCT arrangement for controlling Position, don't all of these implementing layers below that relationship level of Position become pursuit tracking tasks in their own right, since references for changing each of those implementing perceptions are also being generated?

AM:
There are many ways of imagining and representing control systems, layers of pursuit tracking is a legitimate one. I also like the spring and dashpot analogy for a position-velocity loop. If you increase the position gain, it is like you are increasing the stiffness of the spring, it reacts more strongly to errors. But that can cause overshoot and oscillations. The velocity gain is like friction in the dashpot, if you increase it, you reduce the oscillations.

EJ: While we usually speak of the control happening at a given level of perception, and below that changes happening as needed to offset the effects of disturbances, doesn't the "as needed" portion mean that a number of implementing perceptions are controlled as well? Isn't it turtles all the way down and control all the way out?
EJ: That doesn't mean everything about what is produced is getting controlled, as in your discussion above about the trajectory of the Little Man pointing arm. Or as Bill Powers noted in a portion of Rick's post that you cited: "BP: In other words, the invariances noted by the authors were simply side-effects of the operation of the control systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm."
EJ: If my discussion of the speed profile above is correct, then it seems we are learning _something_ (but not much) about the dynamics of a control system, and thus how the movement is produced. We learn that a PI controller is part of the output function.

AM:
That seems right.
Best to you too!
Adam

Hi Adam,

I manage to read some parts of article you and you collegues wrote, and i focused mostly on »conclussions«. I know I’m a little late. Beside that there is also Riks’ nonsense.

···

Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:29 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Radius of Curvature

[From Adam Matic 2017.11.12]

RM: The [something] is the position of the finger. That is clearly a controlled variable.

In a tracking task, yes. If you have a target moving in front of you, then controlling the position of the finger relative to the target explains the movement trajectory quite nicely. But a tracking task is not a curve tracing task. If you have a curve in front of you, or if you are instructed to draw a shape, there is no target to follow.

HB : As usually you are wrong.

1.   The position of the finger is not controlled variable. At least in PCT.

2.   If you don't see any »target« outside organism to follow it doesn't mean that there is no references. Reference (target) is always in the organism. If you would follow PCT »instructions« you wouldn't make a mistake. It's perception of the target moving..,  it's perception of the position of the finger to the perception of the »target« and so on…. Theory is »Control of percepption«. Remember ? If you are instructed to draw a shape you form references inside to follow »instructions«, if you want to of course….

RM : So - when you show that trajectories of humans tracking helicopters shows a power law, that is an interesting finding. Maybe tracking some other objects would not show a power law, and there is a systematic effect of some features of target trajectories.- you cannot generalize from tracking to tracing,

HB : Right. It seems that you learned something. You can’t generlize from one or two examples.

RM : …you’d need a working simulation of tracing to demonstrate yyour claim of explaining any features of human tracing

HB : Well this is another question. What kind of working simulation you have in mind ? In RCT style ? Or better you make natural analyses in natural style with PCT and I’m sure you’ll get right reaults.

any scaling or normalization.
In other words, the invariances noted by
systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm
. In

observed trajectories.

AM : Bill is saying that his control architecture is far simpler that the one proposed by Hollerbach and Atkeson, and it still produces the bell shaped velocity profiles when moving from point to point. He is not saying that the velocity profiles are a statistical illusion, as you claim with OVB. He is not claiming it is an example of a behavioral illusion, as you are. That is all - he is saying is that in the same task, a very simple control architecture, coupled with arm dynamics and environmental forces, can produce the same velocity profiles.

I’m perfectly in agreement with that. If we want to explain power law trajectories in humans, we need to create control systems that produce power law trajectories in those same tasks. That is really what a lot of people are doing, just with more complicated (or in other ways different) control systems.

HB : And I perfectly agree with both of you. We need to understand how orgsnisms function or we can create »control system« which can simulate precisely orgsnisms functioning. I agree that many theories try to explain how organisms function and specially nervous system but I think that PCT is the best. The problem I see is in :

•      You are saying if we want to explain power law trajectories of humans so it's not done yet… (I'd rather say in any Living creature as that PCT iss about)

•      we need to »create control systems«…. (so it's not done yet)

/p>

So if I understand right till now there was no purpose of connecting »Power law« to how organisms function ? It’s just we want to and we need to… ?

I explicitelly asked Alex what is the purpose of what you are doing and I didn’t get an answer ? We know what is the purpose of PCT. So I’m wondering where »Power Law« is deviating from PCT or can you explain to me where you think PL is in respect to PCT ?

I’m also wondering what are real contributions of Power Law to understanding how organisms function or even how nervous system function which is producing behavior in worms or in larva or in humans… ?

But the fundaments of »Living control« can be seen also in LCS without nervous system like E.colli. Researches are competing in calculating speed of flagella rotations and calculate trajectories. It’s seems the same as in PL. Is this just about playing with mathematics without any signficant contribution to understanding how control in LCS function ?

So what is PL contributing (in real time) to understanding of control in organism, what we know is the major point in PCT.

In artcile Zago et all….I didn’t seee any contributions to understanding of organisms just some foggy promises. There were also some wishes as in your case. And at the end of article :

Zago at all : … : Although some of the arguments and simulations we prresented probably appear trivial to mathematically oriented readers, they are important to be clarified since illusory issues are still lingering around the speed-curvature power law, as demonstrated by M/S paper.

HB : I’m not an expert for mathematics and mathematically or statistically based simulations, but whatever appeared to me in your article was only mathematics and statistics on the bases of observed trajectories of drawings and larva behavior. Was there anything else ?

So I’m wondering what is really done on the field of PL in respect to understanding how orgsnims function or nervous system ? Did PL researchers »play« only with Mathematics and Statistics and trajectories in the past ?

Zago at all… : We believe that our analyses are sufficient to refute the argument that “the power law of movement is an observation forced by the mathematical relationship between measures of the curvature and velocity of movement that are used in power law researchâ€? (M/S, pg. 1841).

HB : It seems that you all emphasize science and scientific results but »we beleive« is not a persuading mean for scientific results.

Zago at all… On a theoretical basis, the causal relationship between curvature and speed is predicted by models assuming that the geometrical shape of a given movement is pre-planned while the speed profile results from movement optimization…

HB : Is there anything else but mathematics and statistics in your article… ?

Zago at all… : Contrary to M/S connclusion, we maintain that the speedcurvature power law is real and it applies to a wide variety of biological movements with different values of the exponent.

HB : So what substantial knowledge can we really get from conclussions that speedcurvature can be applyed to wide variety of biological movements. What does PL prove about wide variety of biological movements ? That there are many differences and there are also some similarities. Do we need really so much statistic/mathematic to realize that ?

Zago at all….The issue that remains to be solved concerns the phhysiological origins of the power law. But this is a different topic to be covered in a forthcoming article.

HB : Well if I understand right physiological explanation of PL has to be solved in near or more distant future. What’s been done yet ? If nothing was done, then i must conclude that M/S are partly right.

And I don’t quite understand why mathematical and statistical description of curvature and how organisms function when LCS behave, are different topics ??? Or they are closely (organically) connected ?

As I understand everything is this : till now PL was dealing with mathematics and ststistics of curvature and from now on (after conversations on CSGnet) it will try to solve the problem of physiological functioning of organisms which produce behavior what will be presented in future articels when you’ll make some researches and gather necessary physiological knowledge which was not obtained till now ? Do I assume right ?

Presented article has no real substantial conclussions about organism and how it produces behavior, I se just hopes and beleives. I don’t know what kind of science is this, but I think that you should change something drastically if you want to catch World trends in researching the brain which is producing behavior.

It seems that your group and Ricks group are both on approximatelly the same level of understanding how organisms function and you are all filling the gaps with mathematics and statistics what Rick is doing most of the time on CSGnet with his simulations and demos. And of course they are useless because in the bases of them is so little understanding how organisms function.

So one day I hope we’ll all unite our efforts into more broad and precise »picture« of how organisms function.

Boris

Adam

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2017.11.10.2310)]

Erling Jorgensen (2017.11.10 1445 EST)]

EP: If different muscle forces can produce the SAME movement trajectory on different occasions then why could they not produce also the similar correlation on those occasions?

RM: Because it’s not the muscle forces alone that are producing the similar correlation (by which I presume you mean the power law relationship between curvature and velocity). This is why the existence of the power law tells nothing about how the movement is produced. The existence of the power law is a side effect of controlling the position of the finger (or pen or whatever) when tracing out a curved trajectory of movement.

EJ: This certainly sounds like a contradiction: “The existence of the power law is a side effect of controlling [something]…”

EJ: and yet “the existence of the power law tells nothing about how the movement is produced.”

RM: I don’t see the contradiction. The power law doesn’t tell us anything about how the movement is produced; control theory does. The movement is the output of a control loop that varies to counter varying disturbances so as to keep the controlled variable (finger position) in the varying reference state.

RM: Since the varying position of the finger is (or is closely related to) a controlled variable, the power law is a measure of a feature of the controlled variable itself. It’s like measuring the curvature and velocity of the movement of the cursor in a one-dimensional pursuit tracking task. In that case there will be no power law because curvature is constant (at 0). The lack of a power law in this case obviously doesn’t tell us that the movements in this tracking task are produced differently than those in the two-dimensional case. Indeed, we know that the the lack of a power law relationship in this case tells us nothing about how movements are produced. That’s why we don’t do a power law analysis of tracking tasks. Control theory tells us how the tracking movements are produced in this one-dimensional task; and it tells us how they are produced in the two-dimensional movement task as well.

RM: The finding of a consistent power law in the case of two dimensional movements seems like it is telling us something about how movement is produced because it seems to say that people slow down through curves, which is consistent with our intuitions about how we drive through curves. But the curvature measured in power law studies is not independent of the velocity measure, as it is when we are driving on a curvy road. In power law studies both curvature and velocity are dependent variables – both being simultaneously produced by the combined effect of muscle and gravitational forces. So the existence of the power law relationship between curvature and velocity is a very seductive illusion – an illusion in the the sense that it looks like there is a cause-effect relationship between curvature and output (or between disturbance and output in PCT terms) that tells us something about how movement is produced in terms of how the velocity of movement is varied in response to variations in curvature. But it doesn’t.

EJ: If it is a reliable effect, then we should explore WHETHER it can tell us something about the movement.

RM: You can see very reliable side effects of controlling that tell you nothing about how that controlling is done. Here’s a relevant post (which I posted before; maybe it won’t get ignored this time) where Bill Powers makes the same point about invariant (reliably produced) trajectory profiles that I am making regarding the invariant power law.

[From Bill Powers (950527.0950 MDT)]

RE: trajectories vs. system organization

BP: In a great deal of modern behavioral research, trajectories of movement
are examined in the hope of finding invariants that will reveal secrets
of behavior. This approach ties in with system models that compute
inverse kinematics and dynamics and use motor programs to produce
actions open-loop. These models assume that the path followed by a limb
or the whole body is specified in advance in terms of end-positions and
derivatives during the transition, so the path that is followed reflects
the computations that are going on inside the system.

BP: It is this orientation that explains papers like

Atkeson, C. G. and Hollerback, J.M.(1985); Kinematic features of
unrestrained vertical arm movements. The Journal of Neuroscience 5,
#9, 2318-2330.

BP: In the described experiments, subjects move a hand in the vertical plane
at various prescribed speeds from a starting point to variously located
targets, and the positions are recorded as videos of the positions of
illuminated targets fastened to various parts of the arm and hand.

BP: The authors constructed a tangential-velocity vs time profile of the
wrist movement for various speeds, directions, and distances of
movement. They normalized the profiles to a fixed magnitude, then to a
fixed duration, and found that the curves then had very nearly the same
shape. Using a “similarity” calculation, they quantified the measures of
similarity.

BP: They were then able to compare these normalized tangential velocity
profiles across various directions and amounts of movement and show that
the treated profiles were very close to the same. They conclude:

Taken together, shape invariance for path and tangential velocity
 profile indicates that subjects execute only one form of trajectory
 between any two targets when not instructed to do otherwise. The
 only changes in trajectory are simple scaling operations to
 accomodate different speeds. Furthermore, subjects use the same
 tangential velocity profile shape to make radically different
 movements, even when the shapes of the paths are not the same in
 extrinsic coordinates. Different subjects use the same tangential
 velocity profile shape.

... this would be consistent with a simplifying strategy for joint
 torque formation by separation of gravity torques from dynamic
 torques and a uniform scaling of the tangential velocity profile
 ...  (p. 2325)

... if the motor controller has the ability to fashion correct
 torques for one movement, why does it not use this same ability for
 all subsequent movements rather than utilize the dynamic scaling
 properties? Among the possibilities we are considering, the first
 is a generalized motor tape where only one movement between points
 must be known if the dynanmic components in equation 6 are stored
 separately....A second possibility is a modification of tabular
 approaches [ref] where the dimensionality and parameter adjustment
 problem could be reduced by separate tables for the four components
 in equation 6. (p. 2326)

BP: This paper was sent to me by Greg Williams as a source of data about
actual hand movements, for comparison with the hand movements generated
by Little Man v. 2, the version using actual arm dynamics for the
external part of the model. The model’s hand movements were, as Greg
will attest, quite close to those shown in this paper, being slightly
curved lines connecting the end-points. Forward and reverse movements
followed somewhat different paths, and by adjustment of model parameters
this difference, too, could be reproduced.

any scaling or normalization.
In other words, the invariances noted by
systems of the arm interacting with the dynamics of the physical arm
. In

observed trajectories.
[Italics mine – RM]

RM: Both the invariant tangential velocity profiles that Bill talks about here and the power law of movement that Shaffer and I talk about in our paper are reliable side effects of control. And Bill demonstrates that the invariant tangential velocity profiles found by Atkeson & Hollerback are, indeed, side effects of control in the same way that the Marken/Shaffer paper demonstrates that the the power law is a side effect of control: by showing that both of these “invariants” are produced by a control model of movement, a model that is produced without considering tangential velocity profiles or power laws, respectively. If Atkeson & Hollerback were on CSGNet when Bill wrote this post I am quite certain that they would have responded to Bill’s analysis of invariant tangential velocity profiles as aggressively as Alex, Martin and Bruce have responded to my analysis of the invariant power law of movement. As a friend of mine said recently (when I was discussing this power law thing with him) “Emperors don’t take it well when told that they are naked”.

EJ: Now there may be some ambiguity about that word “movement.” I grant you, if it simply means “muscle forces,” we have good reason in PCT to ask how a changing force leads to a consistent effect. But the correlation is not between degree of force and degree of curvature. It is with angular speed. So that moves us up the hierarchy of potential controlled perceptions.

RM: This is completely incomprehensible to me. The only controlled variable we know about is the position of the pointer (finger) tracing out the movement trajectory. We know that this variable is controlled because a consistent result is being produce in the face of varying disturbance. The power law is simply a measure of the relationship between two measures – velocity and curvature – of this variable. That relationship says nothing about a higher level variable being controlled; or about any variable being controlled for that matter. The relationship is found for all kinds of curved movements, whether the movements are controlled results (as they when the movement is intentionally produced) or not (as they are for the movement of inanimate objects, like Frisbees.

EJ: A rate-of-change variable such as angular speed (or linear speed) could certainly be a controlled transition. And indeed, I think PCT teaches us that ambiguous words like “movement” are often constituted perceptually as defined relationships, that bring about temporally circumscribed events, involving controlled transitions, of particular body configurations. There are lots of ways to see movement-related regularities emerge, because from PCT we know those get enacted via controlled perceptual results.

RM: It’s certainly true that people control the speed with which they move and that they control the degree of curvature through which they move their limbs. But the power law tells us nothing about whether these variables are being controlled when a person produces curved trajectories. You have to set up experiments where you can test to see whether either or both of these variables are being controlled. These experiments will require that you be able to introduce disturbances that have relatively independent effects on these variables. This will require some ingenuity; but such experiments will not get done if researchers continue to go down the blind alley (or follow the red herring) of investigating the side effects rather than the central feature of control: controlled variables.

EJ: The power law shows there is often a relative consistency where movements along a sharper curve are slower than movements along a more open curve.

RM:" Yes, and, as I said above, that’s what makes the illusion so compelling.

“Slower” to me suggests higher up in a PCT hierarchy, because higher level perceptions have to operate with a slower time constant. That’s the beauty of your “Hierarchical Behavior of Perception” demo (at MindReadings.com), where a configuration of square vs. circle can be controlled at a faster rate than a transition of clockwise vs. counter-clockwise, which can be controlled at a faster rate than a sequence of small-medium-large or vice versa. Those relative timing issues [can] tell us something about relative placement within a hierarchy of controlled perceptions.

RM: I think you misunderstand what the demo shows. Slower means that the controlled variable – like speed – not a state of that variable – like “slower” – is higher in the hierarchy;

EJ: The implication for me is to consider that where some kind of power law between speed and curvature shows up, there are likely two different levels of perceptions being controlled. Although as Alex has acknowledged, it is dogged work to track that down.

RM: I think whatever work power law researchers are doing is “dogged” because they are doing it down a blind alley. The power law says nothing about what variable is controlled, though I don’t think power law researchers have any idea that behavior is organized around controlled variables anyway. The red herring they are chasing is the idea that the power law reflects some kind of biological and/or kinematic constraint on how movement is produced. There is no mention of controlled variables in any paper on the power law (except Marken & Shaffer, of course).

RM: Our statistical analysis simply shows why this side effect (a power law with a coefficient close to 1/3 or 2/3) is consistently observed.

EJ: Well, then your statistical analysis has to be flawed. Because it is not consistently observed.

RM: It is consistently observed in research on curved movements. That’s why they call it a law. But the exponent is not always observed to be exactly 1/3 or 2/3. Our OVB analysis shows exactly why this is the case. It predicts exactly how much the observed power exponent will deviate from 1/3 or 2/3. The deviation is proportional to the covariance between log D and the measures of curvature and velocity.

RM: One of the things the Zago, et al. (2017) paper shows is that “The power law is not obligatory mathematically,”

RM: And we never said it was. Our analysis predicts that there are trajectories where the fit to a power law (using only curvature as the predictor) will be poor or non-existent, depending on the above mentioned covariance between log D and the curvature and velocity variables.

EJ: in the section of their paper with that same heading. As demonstrated in their Figure 4, ellipses can be traced at various speed profiles. Slowing down with increasing curvature is just one possibility, leading to the customary power law relationship. But progressive acceleration over one cycle is another possibility. And deliberately slowing down as the curvature opens out and lessens is yet another.

Yes, and it is predicted perfectly by the OVB analysis.

EJ: Moreover, the Zago, et al. (2017) paper shows several physical systems where there is no necessary relationship between speed and curvature. They are laid out in their Figure 5, where accelerations related to gravity (e.g., ideal binary stars, a projectile with and without drag, a pendulum, a weight on orthogonal springs) may or may not lead to a power-law approximation, but usually don’t. So, contrary to what you assert, the power law cannot just be “a statistical consequence of how curvature and velocity are measured.”

RM: It’s all accounted for by our analysis. The fit to a power law depends on the nature of the movement trajectory itself, not on how it was produced.

EJ: Figure 3 of the Zago, et al. (2017) paper shows a further demonstration that the power law effect, whatever it is attributable to, is not just a statistical artifact of how curvature is calculated. They use three different methods of calculating curvature, and as Fig. 3B shows, their plotted time profiles are virtually identical, as were their estimates of the power law exponent as 0.78 or 0.76 for that set of experiments.

RM: Yes, that was interesting. We will deal with this in our rebuttal. I’ve already figured out why it happens.

EJ: This doesn’t even get into the question that Martin, and Alex, and Bruce A. have repeatedly raised, as well as myself on at least one occasion, that the additional predictor variable for Velocity of your Omitted Variable Bias proposal includes the Velocity term as one of its arguments. You can’t have Velocity predicting itself. That is simply a tautology. Standard mathematical practice (and I am far from a mathematician) is to get all references to one variable on the same side of the equation.

RM: The answer to that question is that their analysis is wrong.We will explain why in our paper. I’ll just say that the proof that their analysis is wrong is given in a paper Zago et al refer to as a reference supposedly proving that our analysis is wrong. I would never have found that paper were it not for their kind efforts to set me straight.

EJ: I keep going back to what I take to be a PCT dictum: When living systems produce a regularity that is not spurious, start by suspecting perceptual control in one form or another.

RM: I have never heard that dictum and it sure doesn’t sound like PCT to me. Maybe you were thinking of this: Systems that produce a consistent result in the face of variable disturbances may be controlling that result (or some result related to it).

EJ: I don’t think it has yet been determined which controlled results are in play here. But I’d like to see what Adam M. and his colleagues come up with.

RM: As I said, the only variable that is likely being controlled in studies of intentionally produced curved movement is the trajectory of the movement itself. There are surely other aspects of this movement that are also being controlled but what they are will never be determined by looking intensively at irrelevant side effects of control.

Best

Rick

All the best,

Erling

Richard S. Marken

–Antoine de Saint-Exupery