Sales

I just thought I'd drop by and share this with you.

Rick, since you acknowledge your shortcomings as a sales person I thought I might be able to help.

Provide a reason and the people will come.

For everyone else I hope you enjoy this with the lite intent it was sent with. :wink:

HOW TO SELL TOOTHBRUSHES

The kids filed back into class Monday morning. They were very excited. Their weekend assignment was to sell something, then give a talk on productive salesmanship.

Little Sally led off: "I sold girl scout cookies and I made $30," she Said proudly, "My sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my obvious success."

"Very good," said the teacher.

Little Jenny was next: "I sold magazines," she said, "I made $45 and I explained to everyone that magazines would keep them up on current events."

"Very good, Jenny," said the teacher.

Eventually, it was Little Johnny's turn. The teacher held her breath. Little Johnny walked to the front of the classroom and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk. "$2,467, " he said.

"$2,467!" cried the teacher, "What in the world were you selling?"

"Toothbrushes," said Little Johnny.

"Toothbrushes," echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell Enough toothbrushes to make that much money?"

"I found the busiest corner in town," said Little Johnny, "I set up a Dip & Chip stand. I gave everybody who walked by a sample.

They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like shit!"

Then I would say, "It is shit. Wanna buy a toothbrush?"

[From Rick Marken (2006.05.23.0920)]

···

On Monday, May 22, 2006, at 04:18 PM, Marc Abrams wrote:

I just thought I'd drop by and share this with you...

HOW TO SELL TOOTHBRUSHES

I see you get your Jewish sense of humor from Wolfowitz and Feith rather than Groucho and Benny. Too bad.

Blank
From [ Marc Abrams (2003.05.20.1247) ]

In part this is a reply to B. Gregory’s post this morning. [From Bruce Gregory (2003.0520.07430]
and his question,

Rick:

Marc, why do you want to sell PCT so badly? What is it about PCT that makes
you think it’s so important for others to buy it?

Bruce G.
This is something I’ve been wondering for quite some time, and not only
with respect to Marc.

As a salesmen and consultant I have always been interested in understanding human behavior. Some professionals are trained to advocate well, an attorney is an example of this. Some professions stress “inquiry”, with Social work, being an example of this. In sales, or consulting you must excel in both Advocacy, and Inquiry. PCT does not help me directly with these two issues, as Ken K has pointed out. Action Science does. HPCT explains why Action science is worthwhile. HPCT tells me why Action Science works the way it does. Action Science on the other hand tells me what to expect or predict from the HPCT model. In terms, words, and methods, that I find applicable and useful. I also believe that Action Science provides us with a way of better understanding the upper levels of the hierarchy. I also think that Argyris, maybe unknown to himself, did for “inference”, what Powers did for perceptions. This of course is my interpretation. I invite others to share their views on this. If you are interested in this, I would be happy to send out a brief description of the “ladder” to anyone interested.

Upon some reflection I believe my “desire” to see PCT “used” comes from my concern about the state of medical research as it currently exists. As a person with health issues, my life could depend on some research now taking place. I’d like to know these folks were looking in the right place.

Marc

(Attachment Blank Bkgrd26.gif is missing)