Faith is the acceptance of a proposed fact regardless of evidence for or
against it.

Belief is acceptance of a proposed fact with insufficient evidence
supporting it or against it.

Knowing is acceptance of a proposed fact to the extent that the
preponderance of evidence supports it.

Certainty is acceptance of the reality of direct experience. Nothing else
is certain, including what you say or think about direct experience
(except being certain of saying or thinking it).

Best,

Bill P.

[Martin Taylor 2007.11.27.13.54]

[From Rick Marken (2007.11.27.0940)]

Martin Taylor (2007.11.26.14.24) --

>Rick Marken (2007.11.25.2110)--

> If the universe were not consistent that would quickly have shown up
> after the first few attempts at doing scientific experiments and
>science wouldn't exist.

Why would it, if the rules aren't going to change until 12:35 am next Tuesday?

I think the kind of "faith" you are talking about is required for
everything people do, not just science. I have faith that I am not
going to turn back into a frog when I kiss Linda goodnight.

That's all I wanted to assert. At bottom, you come to a place where your understanding is necessarily based on faith in the orderliness of the world -- that the way it worked yesterday in LA is the same as the way it will work tomorrow in Tokyo or in the Andromeda Galaxy.

I have
faith that Linda is not going to start telling me what a great
president Bush is.

That's a very different domain of faith, isn't it?

I have faith that the next time I press the "t" key
it will not be the "v" key.

Your faith in your typing skills exceeds my faith in mine :slight_smile:

I have faith in the continued greed and
hypocrisy of right wingers. I don't think of this as "faith" because I
don't consciously have to assume these things in order to successfully
get through my day.

No, I don't think of them as "faith" either. Nor do I think of faith as something that is required to get successfully through the day. "Faith" comes into question only when you question it.

I don't have to have "faith" in the orderliness of the world in order
to successfully control in it, though my ability to control does
depend on the orderliness of the world.

I think you are mixing up viewpoints. The protagonist needs no such faith, as you say. But the analyst or scientist does. The protagonist most specifically does not, because the environmental feedback paths do change; what works one day doesn't work the next, things decay and get rusty. You have to use different means to the same ends for that reason. And that's why it's an item of faith that the world is really working the same way as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow, even if your personal world has been disrupted by changes in your environment.

I agree with Richard Kennaway
that the notion that this kind of "faith" is faith and that it is
necessary in order to do science is rather fatuous. It's like saying
that I have to have faith that a floating pink elephant will not
appear in front of my computer screen in the next second in order to
type this message.

It's OK for the two Richards to agree, but I have to disagree with both. If you had said "in order to do engineering" I would have agreed. But science is not engineering.

The links that Richard Kennaway has posted don't seem to me to address the nub of Davies's article, which is the desire to be able to explain why the laws of nature are the way they are. Since Davies specifically considers the laws to be mathematically expressible (which is reasonable in our current view of science), therefore I argue that G�del has shown that this desire can never be fulfilled. The system of natural laws cannot be a closed, provably self-consistent system. Hence, we have necessarily to resort to faith.

I think science does depend on assumptions that are like faith, but
these assumptions are themselves subject to test, so they are not
really "faith". In particular I am thinking of the faith that many
psychologists (and economists) have in a particular organizational
model of causality: the lineal causal model.

That kind of "faith" I can do without :slight_smile:

It's often useful to say "for the moment let's work as though X is true", just so you can get along and do things that interest you. But it's not science to assert that X is factually true as a matter of faith, if there could be observations that might be inconsistent with X; and if there could never be any such observations, then X doesn't really matter. You might as well believe it as not. Such a belief is that an All-Powerful human-shaped being created the Universe and the laws of nature in the Big Bang and then let it run until that Universe recreated beings in His own shape. Whether you believe it or not makes no difference, unless you start inssiting other people must believe it, too.

When psychologists do
empirical research aimed at determining causal relationships between
environmental and behavioral variables (as in the typical psychology
experiment) they are basing this research (whether they know it or
not) on a faith that causality runs in one direction: from input to
output.

Again, this is somewhat different. However, I think the faith is that causality runs from past to future, and not from future to past. I don't think that faith is misguided, though it may be susceptible, in principle, to contrary observations. It's an easy mistake to go from that belief to what seems to be the same thing: input causes output.

They also have faith in the notion that any causality that
runs from output back to input is of no consequence with respect to
the meaning of the results of the experiment.

Of course, what PCT shows is that psychologists faith in the one way
causal model of behavior can be tested and that, in many cases, it can
be rejected. Since this faith is testable I would say that it is not
really a faith at all.

I agree that it should not be taken on faith.

So, once again, I say that science can be done
without faith in the unknowable.

It's not faith in the unknowable so much as faith that if your understanding of the way the world works contains internal inconsistencies or is incompatible with observations, something is wrong with your understanding or your observations. If you didn't have faith in the self-consistency of the Universe, you wouldn't use the inconsistencies in your theories as reasons to try to find out what is wrong.

So, once again, I say that it is engineering that can be done without faith. An engineer doesn't care that general relativity is incompatible with QCD, but a physicist cares.

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2007.11.27.1150)]

Bill Powers (2007.11.27.1206 MST)--

I think this discussion needs a sharper definition of terms.

I think it needs to just go away;-)

But I love your definitions. They all concern proposed facts. By these
definitions I would say that faith is not (or certainly should not be)
a part of science at all. The only people who have this kind of faith
who call themselves scientists are economists. Once a fact has been
proposed based on intuition (eg. increased taxes slow the economy,
increased investment causes growth, increases in Fed funds rates
decrease inflation, etc) then those facts remain accepted regardless
of the evidence against them. Psychologists are are not quite as bad
as economists in this way; the problem for psychologists is belief --
accepting a proposed fact, such as the causal model of behavior, with
insufficient evidence for or against it.

Best

Rick

···

I suggest definitions something like this:

Faith is the acceptance of a proposed fact regardless of evidence for or
against it.

Belief is acceptance of a proposed fact with insufficient evidence
supporting it or against it.

Knowing is acceptance of a proposed fact to the extent that the
preponderance of evidence supports it.

Certainty is acceptance of the reality of direct experience. Nothing else
is certain, including what you say or think about direct experience (except
being certain of saying or thinking it).

Best,

Bill P.

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.8/1154 - Release Date: 11/27/2007
11:40 AM

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Richard Kennaway (2007.11.27.2003 GMT)]

That's all I wanted to assert. At bottom, you come to a place where your understanding is necessarily based on faith in the orderliness of the world -- that the way it worked yesterday in LA is the same as the way it will work tomorrow in Tokyo or in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Does an automatic pilot have faith that its actions will control the plane? No, it simply performs its actions in accordance with its perceptions, references, and internal constitution. As do we. We are cerainly capable of faith, which the automatic pilot isn't, but it's no more a necessity for us than for it. Far from being a prerequisite to understanding the world, it's an obstruction to it.

Action does not require faith. Undertanding does not require faith. Davies' argument is just the old chestnut of the infinite regress in the face of which people argue for a Causeless Cause, a Moveless Mover, a Source of Goodness, or in Davies' case, an Unexplained Explanation. Like Yudkowsky, he sees that hitting the Explain button eventually brings up the same choice again: Ignore/Explain/Worship, but unlike him concludes that everyone must eventually hit the Worship button. And then, that since religion hits the Worship button at once, everyone who eventually hits the Worship button is doing the same thing.

Well, any two things look the same if you ignore all the differences. All that means is that you've chosen to ignore the differences. Religion chooses the Worship button at once; science has no need of it. In religion, beliefs overcome doubts. In science, doubts overcome beliefs.

So, once again, I say that it is engineering that can be done without faith. An engineer doesn't care that general relativity is incompatible with QCD, but a physicist cares.

Engineers in Starfleet care. It makes no practical difference to present-day engineers; it does to present-day physicists. None of them need practice faith.

···

--
Richard Kennaway, jrk@cmp.uea.ac.uk, Richard Kennaway
School of Computing Sciences,
University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.

Re: Science and Faith
[Martin Taylor 2007.11.27.16.32]

[From Richard Kennaway (2007.11.27.2003
GMT)]

That’s all I wanted to assert. At bottom, you come to a place where
your understanding is necessarily based on faith in the orderliness of
the world – that the way it worked yesterday in LA is the same as the
way it will work tomorrow in Tokyo or in the Andromeda
Galaxy.

Does an automatic pilot have faith that its actions will control the
plane? No, it simply performs its actions in accordance with its
perceptions, references, and internal constitution.

As do all engineering (i.e. acting in the real world) devices and
organisma. Faith is not an issue for engineering.

As do we. We are cerainly
capable of faith, which the automatic pilot isn’t, but it’s no more a
necessity for us than for it. Far from being a prerequisite to
understanding the world, it’s an obstruction to it.

That is where we disagree. You then make two unsupported
assertions:

Action does not require
faith.

Agreed.

Undertanding does not require
faith.

Not agreed. You understand anything only insofar as its
relationships to other things you think you understand allow you to.
Not to require faith demands that this network of relationships be
entirely cosed and self-consistent, including the relationships of the
laws that govern how other things are related. It’s this last that
seems to be provably impossible. Hence, understanding, in the end,
must require faith.

I have only my own beliefs based on experience in support of my
agreement and disagreeement. Do you have evidence of another
kind?

Davies’ argument is just the old
chestnut of the infinite regress in the face of which people argue for
a Causeless Cause, a Moveless Mover, a Source of Goodness, or in
Davies’ case, an Unexplained Explanation.

You clearly read Davies differently than I do. Davies believes that
eventually science will discover how to make the regress stop. I think
he is wrong, but I credit him with at least believing in the power of
science to do away with the need for faith. I focus on:

physicists think of their laws as
inhabiting an abstract transcendent realm of perfect mathematical
relationships.

and

It seems to me there is no hope of ever
explaining why the physical universe is as it is so long as we are
fixated on immutable laws or meta-laws that exist reasonlessly or are
imposed by divine providence. The alternative is to regard the laws of
physics and the universe they govern as part and parcel of a unitary
system, and to be incorporated together within a common explanatory
scheme.

In other words, the laws should have an
explanation from within the universe and not involve appealing to an
external agency. The specifics of that explanation are a matter for
future research. But until science comes up with a testable theory of
the laws of the universe, its claim to be free of faith is manifestly
bogus.

[Davies] concludes that everyone
must eventually hit the Worship button. And then, that since
religion hits the Worship button at once, everyone who eventually hits
the Worship button is doing the same thing.

I don’t see that in the article. What I do see is a wish for an
impossibiity: the explanation of the laws of Nature from within the
laws themselves.

Religion chooses the Worship button
at once; science has no need of it. In religion, beliefs
overcome doubts. In science, doubts overcome
beliefs.

Exactly what Davies seems to be saying. Only I think he expects
more of science in that respect than it could theoretically deliver.
He is hoping for science eventually to trisect the angle using ruler
and compasses. The reason for the failure of people to do so thus far
is not lack of cleverness; the problem is that it is impossible.

Martin

(From Jim Wuwert 2007.11.28.330PM EST)

I admit that I may be walking into a movie that is already half-over. This strand really hit an error button with me. I think someone even said that they hoped this discussion would end. I think this discussion is the crux of what is going on in our world today: Faith vs. Science VS. Faith and Science

First, I think the words faith and religion are being used interchangeably like they mean the same thing. I do not think they mean the same thing. Religion is a set of rules that one must follow in order to be in the “group.” Personally, I can’t stand religion. Sorry, if that offends some of you. I think faith is a relationship-a dialogue with your creator. It is something beyond the rules. It is the essence of who we are. No, I am not talking new age stuff. Religion just does not work long term. Eventually you want to violate the rules. I get exhausted trying to keep up with all of them.

Wherever you spend your time is where your faith is. Many of us read and respond to these posts and we dialogue with each other. Like it or not, your soul is being developed here. There is something that transpires here that keeps us coming back for more. The essence of who you are is being shaped. It is a relationship, a dialogue. Your faith is being developed. We may even catch a glimpse of our creator here. The dialogue I had with Bill Powers a few weeks ago about officiating has helped me tremendously being a better official. I feel better about myself when I referee. Thank you Bill.

I would propose that science is how we humans try to explain things here on earth much like we have done with religion. I think science and faith do go hand in hand because faith is a dialogue. I think if you begin to “worship” science more than your faith-dialoguing with your creator-than your creator may have a problem with that. But, that is between him and you.

Now, I am not an expert in science but isn’t a good part of science studying relationships? Aren’t control systems about relationships? There is a requirement that there be some communication/dialogue between the systems in order to accomplish anything. Isn’t that a reflection of what faith is-a dialogue with your creator. Science is a reflection of faith, but how can it be the faith? It cannot, just as my reflection in the mirror is not really me. I am the original, not the reflection.

This strand of dialogue with each other that has been set-up through CSG net was put together brillantly, but I do not read these posts because you have a great network. I read and respond because of the essence of what is here. Science (CSGnet) was a mode of doing that, but I had to go up to a higher level to maintain that-the spirit of all of you being willing to listen to me and me getting the opportunity to learn from your experience/knowledge. It’s something way more powerful than a scientific theory. You put the CSGnet together so that you could experience the dialogue with each other which I would propose is a bit like faith. Hopefully, it is not your faith, but that is between you and your creator. :slight_smile:

I wish that we would talk more about science and faith. I think one is a reflection of the other. The dialogue that takes place is stimulating and enjoyable.

Jim Wuwert
School Counselor
Cook Elementary School
336-727-2784 (work)
336-727-8458 (fax)

-----“Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)” CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU wrote: -----

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Sent by: “Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)” CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Date: 11/27/2007 05:36PM
Subject: Re: Science and Faith

That’s all I wanted to assert. At bottom, you come to a place where your understanding is necessarily based on faith in the orderliness of the world – that the way it worked yesterday in LA is the same as the way it will work tomorrow in Tokyo or in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Does an automatic pilot have faith that its actions will control the plane? No, it simply performs its actions in accordance with its perceptions, references, and internal constitution.

As do all engineering (i.e. acting in the real world) devices and organisma. Faith is not an issue for engineering.

As do we. We are cerainly capable of faith, which the automatic pilot isn’t, but it’s no more a necessity for us than for it. Far from being a prerequisite to understanding the world, it’s an obstruction to it.

That is where we disagree. You then make two unsupported assertions:

Action does not require faith.

Agreed.

Undertanding does not require faith.

Not agreed. You understand anything only insofar as its relationships to other things you think you understand allow you to. Not to require faith demands that this network of relationships be entirely cosed and self-consistent, including the relationships of the laws that govern how other things are related. It’s this last that seems to be provably impossible. Hence, understanding, in the end, must require faith.

I have only my own beliefs based on experience in support of my agreement and disagreeement. Do you have evidence of another kind?

Davies’ argument is just the old chestnut of the infinite regress in the face of which people argue for a Causeless Cause, a Moveless Mover, a Source of Goodness, or in Davies’ case, an Unexplained Explanation.

You clearly read Davies differently than I do. Davies believes that eventually science will discover how to make the regress stop. I think he is wrong, but I credit him with at least believing in the power of science to do away with the need for faith. I focus on:

physicists think of their laws as inhabiting an abstract transcendent realm of perfect mathematical relationships.

and

It seems to me there is no hope of ever explaining why the physical universe is as it is so long as we are fixated on immutable laws or meta-laws that exist reasonlessly or are imposed by divine providence. The alternative is to regard the laws of physics and the universe they govern as part and parcel of a unitary system, and to be incorporated together within a common explanatory scheme.

In other words, the laws should have an explanation from within the universe and not involve appealing to an external agency. The specifics of that explanation are a matter for future research. But until science comes up with a testable theory of the laws of the universe, its claim to be free of faith is manifestly bogus.

[Davies] concludes that everyone must eventually hit the Worship button. And then, that since religion hits the Worship button at once, everyone who eventually hits the Worship button is doing the same thing.

I don’t see that in the article. What I do see is a wish for an impossibiity: the explanation of the laws of Nature from within the laws themselves.

Religion chooses the Worship button at once; science has no need of it. In religion, beliefs overcome doubts. In science, doubts overcome beliefs.

Exactly what Davies seems to be saying. Only I think he expects more of science in that respect than it could theoretically deliver. He is hoping for science eventually to trisect the angle using ruler and compasses. The reason for the failure of people to do so thus far is not lack of cleverness; the problem is that it is impossible.

Martin

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address
is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law,
which may result in monitoring and disclosure to
third parties, including law enforcement.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2007.11.28.1630 CST)]

Actually Jim, that is not a problem. We all get to things when we get to things. I know that science-religion debates here get a little frantic, but I must tell you, we cannot let Creationists (ID, or whatever their latest moniker is) ever set the frame (other story, but parallel, we cannot let Libertarians mince the words freedom and liberty with respect to livign in a community...

But I must say, Bill Powers (2007.11.27.1206 MST) really put the lid on the discussion. He responds to your issue and to mine that we are trading words in this word space we are all controlling:

"* Faith is the acceptance of a proposed fact regardless of evidence for or against it.
* Belief is acceptance of a proposed fact with insufficient evidence supporting it or against it.
* Knowing is acceptance of a proposed fact to the extent that the preponderance of evidence supports it.
* Certainty is acceptance of the reality of direct experience. Nothing else is certain, including what you say or think about direct experience (except being certain of saying or thinking it)."

To me, faith is being used by Rick as certainty, confidence, expectation, or a statistical probability that something will happen. That is not faith regardless of evidence, or insufficient evidence, etc.

So I think, as you seem to, that the words faith and belief, when used in a scientific discussion need some baseline definition. Otherwise we talk past each other and someone can claim victory when indeed they were WAY off the mark.

Cheers,

--Bryan

···

(From Jim Wuwert 2007.11.28.330PM EST) I admit that I may be walking
into a movie that is already half-over. This strand really hit an
error button with me. I think someone even said that they hoped this
discussion would end. I think this discussion is the crux of what is
going on in our world today: Faith vs. Science VS. Faith and Science
First, I think the words faith and religion are being used
interchangeably like they mean the same thing. I do not think they
mean the same thing. Religion is a set of rules that one must follow
in order to be in the "group." Personally, I can't stand religion.
Sorry, if that offends some of you. I think faith is a relationship-a
dialogue with your creator. It is something beyond the rules. It is
the essence of who we are. No, I am not talking new age stuff.
Religion just does not work long term. Eventually you want to violate
the rules. I get exhausted trying to keep up with all of them.
Wherever you spend your time is where your faith is. Many of us read
and respond to these posts and we dialogue with each other. Like it
or not, your soul is being developed here. There is something that
transpires here that keeps us coming back for more. The essence of
who you are is being shaped. It is a relationship, a dialogue. Your
faith is being developed. We may even catch a glimpse of our creator
here. The dialogue I had with Bill Powers a few weeks ago about
officiating has helped me tremendously being a better official. I
feel better about myself when I referee. Thank you Bill. I would
propose that science is how we humans try to explain things here on
earth much like we have done with religion. I think science and faith
do go hand in hand because faith is a dialogue. I think if you begin
to "worship" science more than your faith-dialoguing with your
creator-than your creator may have a problem with that. But, that is
between him and you. Now, I am not an expert in science but isn't a
good part of science studying relationships? Aren't control systems
about relationships? There is a requirement that there be some
communication/dialogue between the systems in order to accomplish
anything. Isn't that a reflection of what faith is-a dialogue with
your creator. Science is a reflection of faith, but how can it be the
faith? It cannot, just as my reflection in the mirror is not really
me. I am the original, not the reflection. This strand of dialogue
with each other that has been set-up through CSG net was put together
brillantly, but I do not read these posts because you have a great
network. I read and respond because of the essence of what is here.
Science (CSGnet) was a mode of doing that, but I had to go up to a
higher level to maintain that-the spirit of all of you being willing
to listen to me and me getting the opportunity to learn from your
experience/knowledge. It's something way more powerful than a
scientific theory. You put the CSGnet together so that you could
experience the dialogue with each other which I would propose is a
bit like faith. Hopefully, it is not your faith, but that is between
you and your creator. :slight_smile: I wish that we would talk more about science
and faith. I think one is a reflection of the other. The dialogue that
takes place is stimulating and enjoyable.
Jim Wuwert
School Counselor
Cook Elementary School
336-727-2784 (work)
336-727-8458 (fax)

-----"Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)"
<CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU> wrote: -----

Sent by: "Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)"
<CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU>
Date: 11/27/2007 05:36PM

That's all I wanted to assert. At bottom, you come to a place where
your understanding is necessarily based on faith in the orderliness
of the world -- that the way it worked yesterday in LA is the same as
the way it will work tomorrow in Tokyo or in the Andromeda Galaxy.
Does an automatic pilot have faith that its actions will control the
plane? No, it simply performs its actions in accordance with its
perceptions, references, and internal constitution.
As do all engineering (i.e. acting in the real world) devices and
organisma. Faith is not an issue for engineering.
  As do we. We are cerainly capable of faith, which the automatic
pilot isn't, but it's no more a necessity for us than for it. Far
from being a prerequisite to understanding the world, it's an
obstruction to it.
That is where we disagree. You then make two unsupported assertions:
Action does not require faith.
Agreed.
Not agreed. You understand anything only insofar as its relationships
to other things you think you understand allow you to. Not to require
faith demands that this network of relationships be entirely cosed
and self-consistent, including the relationships of the laws that
govern how other things are related. It's this last that seems to be
provably impossible. Hence, understanding, in the end, must require
faith.
I have only my own beliefs based on experience in support of my
agreement and disagreeement. Do you have evidence of another kind?
Davies' argument is just the old chestnut of the infinite regress in
the face of which people argue for a Causeless Cause, a Moveless
Mover, a Source of Goodness, or in Davies' case, an Unexplained
Explanation.
You clearly read Davies differently than I do. Davies believes that
eventually science will discover how to make the regress stop. I
think he is wrong, but I credit him with at least believing in the
power of science to do away with the need for faith. I focus on:
physicists think of their laws as inhabiting an abstract transcendent
realm of perfect mathematical relationships.
and
It seems to me there is no hope of ever explaining why the physical
universe is as it is so long as we are fixated on immutable laws or
meta-laws that exist reasonlessly or are imposed by divine
providence. The alternative is to regard the laws of physics and the
universe they govern as part and parcel of a unitary system, and to
be incorporated together within a common explanatory scheme.
In other words, the laws should have an explanation from within the
universe and not involve appealing to an external agency. The
specifics of that explanation are a matter for future research. But
until science comes up with a testable theory of the laws of the
universe, its claim to be free of faith is manifestly bogus.
[Davies] concludes that everyone must eventually hit the Worship
button. And then, that since religion hits the Worship button at
once, everyone who eventually hits the Worship button is doing the
same thing.
I don't see that in the article. What I do see is a wish for an
impossibiity: the explanation of the laws of Nature from within the
laws themselves.
Religion chooses the Worship button at once; science has no need of
it. In religion, beliefs overcome doubts. In science, doubts
overcome beliefs.
Exactly what Davies seems to be saying. Only I think he expects more
of science in that respect than it could theoretically deliver. He is
hoping for science eventually to trisect the angle using ruler and
compasses. The reason for the failure of people to do so thus far is
not lack of cleverness; the problem is that it is impossible.
Martin

[From Bill Powers (2007.11.28.1608 MST)]

Jim Wuwert 2007.11.28.330PM EST –

Thanks for the very adult comments on faith and science, Jim. I’m sure
you’re as uncertain about what you mean by “the Creator” as I
am about “the Observer”, but we’re all working on it, one way
or the other. And I expect that when the answer is finally beginning to
appear, we will all be very surprised. ALL of us.

As to our MOL session on CSGnet, you no doubt realize how little anything
I said had to do with your reorganizations. The MOL format simply makes
it possible to do the reorganizing in a better place. And it doesn’t
bring in any of the unnecessary tricks, advice, exhortations, analysis,
and all those trappings that make the therapist feel smart and
useful.

I’ve been feeling pretty upbeat lately about PCT, CSG, MOL, and the
future.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Richard Kennaway (2007.11.28.0934 GMT)]

Not agreed. You understand anything only insofar as its relationships to other things you think you understand allow you to. Not to require faith demands that this network of relationships be entirely cosed and self-consistent, including the relationships of the laws that govern how other things are related. It's this last that seems to be provably impossible. Hence, understanding, in the end, must require faith.

Understanding (that is, knowledge usefully organised) does not have to be complete to be understanding, neither must incomplete understanding have its loose ends plugged into faith. Incomplete understanding is no more than that, incomplete understanding -- the Ignore/Explain/Worship dialog floating on one's mental screen, none of the options yet chosen.

It seems to me there is no hope of ever explaining why the physical universe is as it is so long as we are fixated on immutable laws or meta-laws that exist reasonlessly or are imposed by divine providence. The alternative is to regard the laws of physics and the universe they govern as part and parcel of a unitary system, and to be incorporated together within a common explanatory scheme.

I don't see what distinction you are drawing between "reasonless existence" and "a unitary system".

···

--
Richard Kennaway, jrk@cmp.uea.ac.uk, Richard Kennaway
School of Computing Sciences,
University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.11.29)]

<Bill Powers (2007.11.28.1608 MST)>

Bill replies to Jim Wuwert:

I’m sure you’re as uncertain about what you mean by “the Creator” as I am about “the Observer”, but we’re all working on it, one way or the other. And I expect that when the answer is finally beginning to appear, we will all be very surprised. ALL of us.

Bill, we have been around this horn a couple of times. The best interchange I recall was at the CSG Conference in Chicago.

You have recognized the possibility, even a need, for the existence of what you call “the Observer” to more fully explain the behavior of human beings. As I remember this functionality is not part of the perceptual hierarchy or the perceptual control loop. It seems to be able to observe and perhaps act upon the hierarchy or loop to achieve its purpose. This Observer then seems highly relevant to explaining human behavior, perhaps in a human’s ability to “reorganize” or develop their ability to control perceptions or even create reference perceptions.

I have written about and presented at CSG Conferences other possibilities for understanding this functionality. I have usually referred to this as the unique “spirit” in human beings. It is not a meta or immortal functionality in man as I understand it. It is also not the Twelfth Level of Perception I have proposed which is part of the hierarchy that defines the System Level Perceptions which that human selects. For example, atheism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc., are Level 11 System perceptions of religion. At my self-concept (Level 12), Christianity resides along with all the other system concepts that exist as references which are NOT in conflict with one another. They all make Kenny who Kenny is at that moment in time. They are not intrinsic in the sense of being innate or unchangeable. They do evolve over life from experience and creative imagination.

I do not believe there is an Observer in dogs or monkeys. Do you? That is based upon what the Bible, the word of the Creator to man, reveals. The Bible term equating to the Observer is the “Inner Man.” Since that term is used only once in the New Testament, it is difficult to expound about its meaning. Christian Bible scholars interpret this functionality quite differently. Some do claim this is the immortal soul of man. I totally disagree. Others refer to it as the “heart” of man relating it to emotions like love and fear. I think that is too narrow an interpretation. Still others see this as conscience, an ability to discern right from wrong. I perceive that to be a definite characteristic of the Inner Man. But, in the Inner Man are also unconscious longings for such things as knowledge and purpose and love. Such longings don’t seem to be derived from experience or the lower hierarchy outputs. They seem to come from the Inner Man.

I’ve been feeling pretty upbeat lately about PCT, CSG, MOL, and the future.

Since you are on the upbeat, perhaps you could expound a bit more on the Observer and its role in human behavior or nature? I am surprised that as a PCTer you would venture a guess on how uncertain Jim is about the Creator. How could you possibly know?

I am not uncertain about the Creator. Neither were the founders of our country which recognized the Creator in the Constitution as giving the citizens unalienable rights to life, liberty (self-control) and the pursuit of happiness (to define their own purpose). Every state in the USA uses the word “God” to refer to this Creator in the preamble of their Constitution. Is there some doubt and uncertainty in your mind about what “Creator God” they meant?

···

Check out AOL Money & Finance’s list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

You have recognized the
possibility, even a need, for the existence of what you call “the
Observer” to more fully explain the behavior of human
beings.
[From Bill Powers (2007.11.29.0848 MST)]

Kenny Kitzke
(2007.11.29)–

Not their behavior, or their perceptions. Those things are addressed by
PCT’s hierarchy of perceptual control systems. What the observer is
needed for is to encompass the part of my personal experience that is not
explained by the hierarchy: my ability to be aware, selectively, of
different parts of what my brain seems to be doing, like writing this.
Even when my awareness is occupied with something else, the control of
perceptions continues, so obviously awareness and perception are two
different things (so reasons my brain at the level of logic).

As I remember this
functionality is not part of the perceptual hierarchy or the perceptual
control loop. It seems to be able to observe and perhaps act upon
the hierarchy or loop to achieve its purpose.

I’m hazy about what those purposes might be, but yes.

This Observer then seems
highly relevant to explaining human behavior, perhaps in a human’s
ability to “reorganize” or develop their ability to control
perceptions or even create reference
perceptions.

Creating reference perceptions is taken care of in the hierarchy by the
output functions of higher-order systems (with one obvious exception); if
awareness tries to alter a reference signal arbitrarily at any level but
the highest, that will create a disturbance of higher-order systems
which will then alter their own output effects on the same reference
signal to cancel the disturbance. That’s why you can’t just arbitrarily
change your behavior through pure will power (without creating a
continuing conflict). You have to reorganize the systems that set the
reference levels. You have to get the hierarchy to want something
different.

I have written about and presented
at CSG Conferences other possibilities for understanding this
functionality. I have usually referred to this as the unique
“spirit” in human beings. It is not a meta or
immortal functionality in man as I understand it. It is also not
the Twelfth Level of Perception I have proposed which is part of the
hierarchy that defines the System Level Perceptions which that human
selects. For example, atheism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam,
Buddhism, etc., are Level 11 System perceptions of
religion.

Yes, that has been my guess, too.

At my self-concept (Level
12), Christianity resides along with all the other system concepts that
exist as references which are NOT in conflict with one another.
They all make Kenny who Kenny is at that moment in time. They are
not intrinsic in the sense of being innate or unchangeable. They do
evolve over life from experience and creative
imagination.

I agree, except for the bit about their not being in conflict. They exist
in your view from the 12th level; however, the content of that view is
the 11th level. When you’re in a level you can’t see it. The content of
the 12th level is in what you’re thinking about those system
concepts. So far I haven’t been able to see my own thoughts at that
level. I just know, logically, that they are probably there.

I think we adopt different selves according to context. A businessman may
be tough and realistic at work but sympathetic and compassionate when at
home or in church. It’s quite possible for these selves to come into
conflict when the right combination of circumstances arises. For example,
a pastor might visit him at work to get his company to make a substantial
donation to a charity, at a time when the businessman is having to lay
off people to meet expenses. Being a fiscally responsible executive can
easily clash with being a compassionate caretaker.

I do not believe there is an
Observer in dogs or monkeys. Do you?

I think I see signs of it in dogs and cats, especially when playing with
them or when having a contest of wills with them. I don’t interact with
other animals enough to have similar impressions about them. The main
difference between me and animals I know well seems to be the size and
complexity of the hierarchies in their brains. They have less to be
conscious with, but awareness does not itself seem to have the
characteristics of hierarchical systems, so that isn’t a reason to think
that the quality of awareness is any different in an animal. I don’t
think there’s any less evidence for awareness in animals than there is
for awareness in other people (I don’t need any evidence for my own
awareness; I experience it directly).

That is based upon what the
Bible, the word of the Creator to man, reveals.

Well, since I haven’t chosen to believe that what the Bible says is true,
or infallible, it doesn’t reveal the same thing to me. There are words in
it that say it is true, but that isn’t enough to show that the words are
true. What tells you that the words are true, other than your own
decision to accept them as true?

The Bible term equating to the
Observer is the “Inner Man.” Since that term is used only
once in the New Testament, it is difficult to expound about its meaning.

This, then, in a matter of faith or belief, not knowlege (as I defined
these things the other day). The mention of a term in a book is not
evidence about anything, so I’d say this is a matter of deciding what to
accept as a fact without regard to evidence – faith.

Christian Bible scholars
interpret this functionality quite differently. Some do claim this
is the immortal soul of man. I totally disagree.

Well, why? You must have some reason for disagreeing. How you interpret a
few words has more to do with what you want to be true than what you know
to be probably true. Is what is right for Christian Bible scholars wrong
for you?

Others refer to it as the
“heart” of man relating it to emotions like love and
fear. I think that is too narrow an interpretation. Still
others see this as conscience, an ability to discern right from
wrong. I perceive that to be a definite characteristic of the Inner
Man.

Are right and wrong things that exist independently of people, so they
are the same for everyone? If so, what is wrong with those Christian
Bible scholars? Or with you? How do you decide which one is
wrong?

But, in the Inner Man are also
unconscious longings for such things as knowledge and purpose and
love. Such longings don’t seem to be derived from experience or the
lower hierarchy outputs. They seem to come from the Inner
Man.
I’ve been feeling pretty upbeat
lately about PCT, CSG, MOL, and the future.

The longings may come from the Inner Man, the Observer, but I would say
they concern something that words like knowledge, purpose, love, and
emotion do not encompass. I doubt that anyone is born knowing what those
terms mean, yet we are all born being able to observe.

Since you are on the upbeat,
perhaps you could expound a bit more on the Observer and its role in
human behavior or nature? I am surprised that as a PCTer you would
venture a guess on how uncertain Jim is about the Creator. How
could you possibly know?

I can make reasonable guesses, based on a rather firm conviction that I
am not substantially different from other people. Based, also, on what I
have heard and read other people saying about a Creator, which seems
pretty vague and confused to me. Partly it comes from knowing that there
is a difference between a self in the hierarchy and an Observer of that
self that doesn’t seem to have any permanent home in the hierarchy. I
write, speak, and think through the hierarchy, which is how my hierarchy
comes to contain thoughts and logic and feelings about an Observer
(which, I observe, continue to be modified now and then). That
hierarchical self contains ideas about what is really in charge of it,
That Man Behind the Curtain who we are supposed to pay no attention to
(which I have discovered is also me, though a different kind of me). So I
can understand how other people, coming across this same rather confusing
set of ideas and experiences, might conclude that the thing in charge of
them is some powerful being outside of them who knows their inner
thoughts and feelings and judges them from on high. Yet I think the same
people also realize that in some way, they ARE that observer, so they
think in terms of a mysterious Soul, which ancient Indian philosophers
called the Atman. The conjectures and theories about this Observer
phenomenon are endless and endlessly varied, and I don’t believe any of
them. Not even mine. Christ said, reportedly, that the Kingdom of God is
within you. I think we should take that literally.

I am not uncertain about the
Creator.

I am sure you are certain about the existence of an idea and feeling
which you call “the Creator.” When you look inside yourself,
there it is. You can’t doubt what you directly experience.

You can, however, doubt anything that is said about that experience,
including what you, yourself, think or say about it. You know for certain
that you are reading these words, and at the same time you can doubt what
I am trying to say by writing them. If you have thoughts about what I’m
saying, you know that those thoughts are occurring, but you don’t know if
they are correct.

Neither were the founders of
our country which recognized the Creator in the Constitution as giving
the citizens unalienable rights to life, liberty (self-control) and the
pursuit of happiness (to define their own purpose).

Saying it doesn’t make it so. But I accept what they wrote as a very good
proposal for running a country, if you put “perhaps” before the
references to God. I don’t need God in there to make me agree that we
should grant people rights.

Every state in the USA uses
the word “God” to refer to this Creator in the preamble of
their Constitution. Is there some doubt and uncertainty in your
mind about what “Creator God” they
meant?

Oh, yes. Quite a lot of doubt. I doubt that any two of them have exactly
the same idea. People who say “God” in Utah aren’t talking
about the same God they speak of in Massachussetts, or Mississippi, or
California, or Syria, or Bangladesh. Words don’t “have”
meanings; we give them meanings out of our own experiences.

So that’s my honest report on what I actually think.

Best.

Bill P.

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2007.11.29.1228 CST)]

Sorry, but except for analyzing the control aspects of the words used in this little contest about Spirit, there is nothing valuable about the discussion. Kenny, you can't test for spirit, miracles, heart, the spriritual object of a belief, or God. So drop it. It makes me embarrassed that such a subject, other than the controlling behavior involved in the phenom, is discussed on this forum.

"I am not uncertain about the Creator." Kenny, the word Creator is NOT mentioned in the US Constitution, neither is Yaweh, God or Jebus or anything else like that. As scientists we should wrinkle our noses when we hear such a thing presented in a scientific forum. It is nothing other than Creationism in a sheepskin.

Creator vs. Observer. It is well-documented that humans in almost every society invented an Observer to control the behaviour of other human beings. A need? Yes, social dominators need to control other people's behaviour, that is the role of a bully. There is nothing spiritual or ethereal or Casper the Friendly Ghost about it, it is clearly the control of perception in this case, another person's freedom. I reject that and I reject the use of the name of Jesus to support the control of behavior. Define your terminology functionally, in something that can be observed objectively, particularly your "inner man", "observer," and "creator." You can't do it, and the Bible is no evidence. Enough already with the Bible. It is only evidence that someone wrote those words down, and no more.

You didn't watch the PBS Nova deal on the issue in Dover PA? Intelligent Design, Creationism, or whatever you want to call it has crashed and burned -- again.

Sorry, again Kenny, but you don't seem to be able to learn, and therefore you are probbly true to your claim that there is no evolution.

Just stop it.

--Bryan

···

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.11.29)]

<Bill Powers (2007.11.28.1608 MST)>

Bill replies to Jim Wuwert:

I'm sure you're as uncertain about what you mean by "the Creator" as I am
about "the Observer", but we're all working on it, one way or the other. And I
expect that when the answer is finally beginning to appear, we will all be
very surprised. ALL of us.

Bill, we have been around this horn a couple of times. The best interchange
I recall was at the CSG Conference in Chicago.

You have recognized the possibility, even a need, for the existence of what
you call "the Observer" to more fully explain the behavior of human beings.
As I remember this functionality is not part of the perceptual hierarchy or
the perceptual control loop. It seems to be able to observe and perhaps act
upon the hierarchy or loop to achieve its purpose. This Observer then seems
highly relevant to explaining human behavior, perhaps in a human's ability to
"reorganize" or develop their ability to control perceptions or even create
reference perceptions.

I have written about and presented at CSG Conferences other possibilities
for understanding this functionality. I have usually referred to this as the
unique "spirit" in human beings. It is not a meta or immortal functionality
in man as I understand it. It is also not the Twelfth Level of Perception I
have proposed which is part of the hierarchy that defines the System Level
Perceptions which that human selects. For example, atheism, Christianity,
Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc., are Level 11 System perceptions of religion. At
my self-concept (Level 12), Christianity resides along with all the other
system concepts that exist as references which are NOT in conflict with one
another. They all make Kenny who Kenny is at that moment in time. They are not
intrinsic in the sense of being innate or unchangeable. They do evolve over
life from experience and creative imagination.

I do not believe there is an Observer in dogs or monkeys. Do you? That is
based upon what the Bible, the word of the Creator to man, reveals. The
Bible term equating to the Observer is the "Inner Man." Since that term is used
only once in the New Testament, it is difficult to expound about its meaning.
Christian Bible scholars interpret this functionality quite differently.
Some do claim this is the immortal soul of man. I totally disagree. Others
refer to it as the "heart" of man relating it to emotions like love and fear.
I think that is too narrow an interpretation. Still others see this as
conscience, an ability to discern right from wrong. I perceive that to be a
definite characteristic of the Inner Man. But, in the Inner Man are also
unconscious longings for such things as knowledge and purpose and love. Such
longings don't seem to be derived from experience or the lower hierarchy outputs.
They seem to come from the Inner Man.

I've been feeling pretty upbeat lately about PCT, CSG, MOL, and the future.

Since you are on the upbeat, perhaps you could expound a bit more on the
Observer and its role in human behavior or nature? I am surprised that as a
PCTer you would venture a guess on how uncertain Jim is about the Creator. How
could you possibly know?

I am not uncertain about the Creator. Neither were the founders of our
country which recognized the Creator in the Constitution as giving the citizens
unalienable rights to life, liberty (self-control) and the pursuit of
happiness (to define their own purpose). Every state in the USA uses the word "God"
to refer to this Creator in the preamble of their Constitution. Is there
some doubt and uncertainty in your mind about what "Creator God" they meant?

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
products.
(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

[Martin Taylor 2007.11.29.10.42]

[From Richard Kennaway (2007.11.28.0934 GMT)]

Not agreed. You understand anything only insofar as its relationships to other things you think you understand allow you to. Not to require faith demands that this network of relationships be entirely cosed and self-consistent, including the relationships of the laws that govern how other things are related. It's this last that seems to be provably impossible. Hence, understanding, in the end, must require faith.

Understanding (that is, knowledge usefully organised) does not have to be complete to be understanding, neither must incomplete understanding have its loose ends plugged into faith. Incomplete understanding is no more than that, incomplete understanding -- the Ignore/Explain/Worship dialog floating on one's mental screen, none of the options yet chosen.

But isn't "incomplete understanding" precisely the challenge that leads to science? So long as there is incomplete understanding, a real scientist must see what can be done to reduce the incompleteness. An understanding that includes "and then a miracle happens" (to use the words of that cartoonist in "American Scientist") is no real understanding. It may be good enough for practical purposes, which is what you and Rick argued, but that's just to say that you will ignore the unknown for now, and get on with what needs to be done or made.

I don't see what distinction you are drawing between "reasonless existence" and "a unitary system".

That's a quote from Davies, not me.

However, it's part of the reason I see Davies as promoting an ever deeper scientific enquiry rather than a hopeless acceptance of "worship" as an end-point, as I explained in my previous message. I understand "reasonless existence" to be the acceptance that "that's just the way it is". A "unitary system" is one in which the laws and their implications form a closed system that leaves no further room for "worship"; rather than being satisfied with "that's just the way it is", Davies seems to hope that science may eventually reach "that's the only way it could be."

My position is that Davies is asking for something as impossible as squaring the circle or trisecting the angle with ruler and compasses.

Martin

Sorry, but except for analyzing
the control aspects of the words used

in this little contest about Spirit, there is nothing valuable
about

the discussion. Kenny, you can’t test for spirit, miracles, heart,
the

spriritual object of a belief, or God. So drop it. It makes me

embarrassed that such a subject, other than the controlling
behavior

involved in the phenom, is discussed on this
forum.
[From Bill Powers (2007.11.29.1326 MDT)]

Bryan Thalhammer (2007.11.29.1228 CST) –

Excuse my pouncing on your remarks, but since when has the objective of
CSGnet been to promote your values or avoid embarrassing you? Kenny
presented his comments in a reasonable way, which deserves a reasonable
answer. You can’t test for awareness, either, but I doubt that you would
argue sincerely that you’re unaware and wish to be treated like an
alphanumeric stimulus-response machine that somehow got connected to this
server.

If you reject Kenny’s “inner man” then you reject my
“observer” and you declare yourself to be an automaton. If you
really wish to be dealt with that way I’m sure you can be accomodated,
but I don’t think you would like it much.

I would like to convince Kenny that what he experiences as a Creator is
the same thing I experience as an Observer, but only if he examines the
same phenomena and sees that a different interpretation is possible and
reasonable. I don’t believe that the route to understanding is through
scoffing, ridicule, superiority, hostility and suppression. Such
attitudes show that you are irritated and impatient, but not that you are
right.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.11.29.2200 EST)]

<Bryan Thalhammer (2007.11.29.1228 CST)>

Bry,

I am sorry that Bill Powers responded to your outrageous post before I had a chance to read and respond myself. He should not have to write what he wrote.

···

Check out AOL Money & Finance’s list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

[From Rick Marken (2007.11.29.2000)]

Bill Powers (2007.11.29.1326 MDT)--

I would like to convince Kenny that what he experiences as a
Creator is the same thing I experience as an Observer

I think you'd be making great progress if you could convince Kenny (or
any of those of his ilk, like my stepfather;-)) that his Creator --
the source of all the ugly moral guidance found in the Bible (along
with a very few pieces of advice that I do find quite good) -- is
actually the control systems inside his own brain that set the
reference specifications that result in no error signals when he reads
the Bible (and the control systems in my brain that set the reference
specifications that result in all kinds of error signals when I read
it -- at least when I read it as a moral guide).

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.11.29.2330EST)]

<Bill Powers (2007.11.29.0848 MST)>

You have recognized the possibility, even a need, for the existence of what you call “the Observer” to more fully explain the behavior of human beings.

<Not their behavior, or their perceptions. Those things are addressed by PCT’s hierarchy of perceptual control systems. What the observer is needed for is to encompass the part of my personal experience that is not explained by the hierarchy: my ability to be aware, selectively, of different parts of what my brain seems to be doing, like writing this. Even when my awareness is occupied with something else, the control of perceptions continues, so obviously awareness and perception are two different things (so reasons my brain at the level of logic).>

If awareness and selectivity are not part of the explanation of behavior, what are they? By your own words they are something humans do that is not explained by the hierarchy of control. Call that extra element behavior, or the nature of the human spirit, it seems to be necessary to fully describe what living humans seem to do. It would clearly help to better understand this function to better understand how humans work.

As I remember this functionality is not part of the perceptual hierarchy or the perceptual control loop. It seems to be able to observe and perhaps act upon the hierarchy or loop to achieve its purpose.

<I’m hazy about what those purposes might be, but yes.>

Could one of those purposes be to assess whether the total output of the hierarchy is pleasing or seems right to the whole being?

<Creating reference perceptions is taken care of in the hierarchy by the output functions of higher-order systems (with one obvious exception); if awareness tries to alter a reference signal arbitrarily at any level but the highest, that will create a disturbance of higher-order systems which will then alter their own output effects on the same reference signal to cancel the disturbance. That’s why you can’t just arbitrarily change your behavior through pure will power (without creating a continuing conflict). You have to reorganize the systems that set the reference levels. You have to get the hierarchy to want something different.>

It is the exceptions that are bothersome. It’s like saying boats float except on Tuesdays, have a nice 7-day cruise. What if the Observer selects by reorganization only the references that are internally consistent without conflict? People seem to do it all the time. Surely, if our theory is to be accepted, we need answers without exceptions.
<I agree, except for the bit about their not being in conflict. They exist in your view from the 12th level; however, the content of that view is the 11th level. When you’re in a level you can’t see it. The content of the 12th level is in what you’re thinking about those system concepts. So far I haven’t been able to see my own thoughts at that level. I just know, logically, that they are probably there.>

This may be what I experience. My conscious mind can’t see them but what if my Inner Man Observer can? If they are probably there, why can’t we get further in describing what they might be like in the model?

<I think we adopt different selves according to context. A businessman may be tough and realistic at work but sympathetic and compassionate when at home or in church. It’s quite possible for these selves to come into conflict when the right combination of circumstances arises. For example, a pastor might visit him at work to get his company to make a substantial donation to a charity, at a time when the businessman is having to lay off people to meet expenses. Being a fiscally responsible executive can easily clash with being a compassionate caretaker.>

I totally agree. And, how is that adoption made? If there is conflict, why can’t the Observer change the self to have an acceptable right for the occasion self? The business man will resolve whether to be charitable and lose a little more or say, come by next year when conditions are expected to be more favorable. The conflict can be resolved in the time it takes to speak one sentence. You are undoubtedly aware that we use a tiny fraction of our brain for conscious activities. What is the 90% doing? Perhaps it does the Observing?

<I think I see signs of it in dogs and cats, especially when playing with them or when having a contest of wills with them. I don’t interact with other animals enough to have similar impressions about them. The main difference between me and animals I know well seems to be the size and complexity of the hierarchies in their brains. They have less to be conscious with, but awareness does not itself seem to have the characteristics of hierarchical systems, so that isn’t a reason to think that the quality of awareness is any different in an animal. I don’t think there’s any less evidence for awareness in animals than there is for awareness in other people (I don’t need any evidence for my own awareness; I experience it directly).>

Salmon and sparrows instinctively know to go to places they have never experienced. How do you explain instincts in living things? Do humans have instincts that are not part of the experienced perceptions? Are the references there from birth, in their genes? Would that be evidence of their animal specie’s spirit for what is right for them to do? Perhaps they have an inner salmon?

<Well, since I haven’t chosen to believe that what the Bible says is true, or infallible, it doesn’t reveal the same thing to me. There are words in it that say it is true, but that isn’t enough to show that the words are true. What tells you that the words are true, other than your own decision to accept them as true?>

The Bible makes thousands of claims in the areas of world history, prophecy, geography and even science. I have not found any to be patently false after years of study and comparison. So until I do, I find it far more credible than the science texts I read in high school in 1960. That includes the statements that seem improbable like Noah’s ark or Jonah in the fish or Jesus walking on water. These can’t be easily proved or disproved. I suppose they are believed by faith. But, science is chock full of similar speculations of things that might have happened or been possible. Are they any more trustworthy? Are they any less wishful speculation? The Big Bang? Give me a break! Science can’t even determine how or when our moon came into existance. It can’t explain why gravity exists. It’s often abra-cadabra. Psychology is the perfect example of craft speculation and correlation statistics and tests and conjured-up experiments masquerading as science as Dag points out. And, as you have repeatedly claimed about reinforcement theory.

In that sense, we have faith in science until it is proven wrong. I think the same applies to the Bible for me.

The Bible term equating to the Observer is the “Inner Man.” Since that term is used only once in the New Testament, it is difficult to expound about its meaning.

<This, then, in a matter of faith or belief, not knowlege (as I defined these things the other day). The mention of a term in a book is not evidence about anything, so I’d say this is a matter of deciding what to accept as a fact without regard to evidence – faith.>

No, I don’t accept your definition as you suggested you would hold a belief by faith when the evidence is contradictory. What contradictory evidence do you have that refutes the Bible? People will say things like a virgin birth (a woman did not know a man) is impossible. Is it? Women are now having babies without intercourse with a man. If a surgeon can do it, a God who can create life out of dirt could too. I am having a little fun now.

There are independent evidences of the existence of Jesus and reports of miracles that He did. Shall we assume everyone lied alike or that He was a magician?

Christian Bible scholars interpret this functionality quite differently. Some do claim this is the immortal soul of man. I totally disagree.

<Well, why? You must have some reason for disagreeing. How you interpret a few words has more to do with what you want to be true than what you know to be probably true. Is what is right for Christian Bible scholars wrong for you?>

I have reasons for my view or will admit when I am not sure. Death is described in many places in the Bible. A soul rising to heaven after death is not found in scripture. Is Peter in heaven? Or, it that an assumption? These differences are often caused by a confusion of English words such as spirit, soul, breath of life. These require studies far too extensive to try to cover in a sentence. I certainly am prone to error even if the scriptures are not.

<Are right and wrong things that exist independently of people, so they are the same for everyone? If so, what is wrong with those Christian Bible scholars? Or with you? How do you decide which one is wrong?>

That is what is go great about your theory Bill. Everyone decides for themselves. It is inherit in the human nature to do it and want the right to do it. You are a prime example. So am I. And, the Bible agrees as well that man ways are not God’s ways. I think that not murdering or stealing is pretty much the same guide for all men, societies and nations. There given as God’s written universal laws but not all men obey them for they keep them from getting what they want. There is no mystery here.

<The longings may come from the Inner Man, the Observer, but I would say they concern something that words like knowledge, purpose, love, and emotion do not encompass. I doubt that anyone is born knowing what those terms mean, yet we are all born being able to observe.>

The terms come after the experience. Curiosity is not learned is it? Isn’t an infant curious before it knows a single word? The urge to understand is felt, experienced by the Inner Man. A word evolves to represent the urge felt. Or is this just too simple for a scientist?

I am surprised that as a PCTer you would venture a guess on how uncertain Jim is about the Creator. How could you possibly know?

<I can make reasonable guesses, based on a rather firm conviction that I am not substantially different from other people.>

You are a one-of-a-kind within a species. It is hard to understand where the similarities end and the differences begin. Can Democrats make firm convictions about the way Republicans think?

<Based, also, on what I have heard and read other people saying about a Creator, which seems pretty vague and confused to me.>

I compare what other people say against what the Bible says. If God did write it, His opinion has greater credibility.

<Partly it comes from knowing that there is a difference between a self in the hierarchy and an Observer of that self that doesn’t seem to have any permanent home in the hierarchy. I write, speak, and think through the hierarchy, which is how my hierarchy comes to contain thoughts and logic and feelings about an Observer (which, I observe, continue to be modified now and then). That hierarchical self contains ideas about what is really in charge of it, That Man Behind the Curtain who we are supposed to pay no attention to (which I have discovered is also me, though a different kind of me). So I can understand how other people, coming across this same rather confusing set of ideas and experiences, might conclude that the thing in charge of them is some powerful being outside of them who knows their inner thoughts and feelings and judges them from on high. Yet I think the same people also realize that in some way, they ARE that observer, so they think in terms of a mysterious Soul, which ancient Indian philosophers called the Atman.>

I see no conflict between having an autonomous Inner Man while there is an external all knowing being that knows what my Inner Man is up to. The Bible does not say man has a soul it says man is a living soul. The difference is profound.

<The conjectures and theories about this Observer phenomenon are endless and endlessly varied, and I don’t believe any of them. Not even mine. Christ said, reportedly, that the Kingdom of God is within you. I think we should take that literally.>

These are theological constructs and often based upon metaphors. I don’t think any human has a complete understanding. For those needing absolute proof, I guess the Bible will let you down. I suppose that is where faith comes in. Even if you believe the reported claim of Christ that He will return; the exact day and hour is stated as unknown. Yet, Christians will debate the details till it drives you crazy. Your theory explains these things to me so I can relax.

I am not uncertain about the Creator.

<I am sure you are certain about the existence of an idea and feeling which you call “the Creator.” When you look inside yourself, there it is. You can’t doubt what you directly experience.>

The only idea I try to have in my Inner Man is what the Bible reveals. It is tempting to try to add to that, but I would experience that as error.

<You can, however, doubt anything that is said about that experience, including what you, yourself, think or say about it. You know for certain that you are reading these words, and at the same time you can doubt what I am trying to say by writing them. If you have thoughts about what I’m saying, you know that those thoughts are occurring, but you don’t know if they are correct.>

I can to the same degree you claim you can tell what Jim is uncertain about.

Neither were the founders of our country which recognized the Creator in the Constitution as giving the citizens unalienable rights to life, liberty (self-control) and the pursuit of happiness (to define their own purpose).

<Saying it doesn’t make it so. But I accept what they wrote as a very good proposal for running a country, if you put “perhaps” before the references to God. I don’t need God in there to make me agree that we should grant people rights.>

They did not put perhaps in there. They did not need to. You do. So be it. Has anyone asked you what rights should be granted?

Every state in the USA uses the word “God” to refer to this Creator in the preamble of their Constitution. Is there some doubt and uncertainty in your mind about what “Creator God” they meant?

<Oh, yes. Quite a lot of doubt. I doubt that any two of them have exactly the same idea. People who say “God” in Utah aren’t talking about the same God they speak of in Massachussetts, or Mississippi, or California, or Syria, or Bangladesh. Words don’t “have” meanings; we give them meanings out of our own experiences.

So that’s my honest report on what I actually think.>

If they meant any other god than the God of the Abraham revealed in the Bible, I’d like you to produce some evidence. It’s the same one I mean. The details are not clear. They are probably beyond our human capability to understand such a described being. This is no reason to drop the belief.

That’s my honest response. I might change my mind next week…like a scientist, based on new evidence. :sunglasses:

<Best.

Bill P>

You too, my friend. I hope Bry doesn’t read this. It is bound to be too embarrassing for him. Creationists and scientists humble enough to say I may be wrong, but right now I perceive it this way.

Kenny

···

(From Jim Wuwert 2007.11.30.1022EST)

I was unable to reply to Kenny’s thread because it would not bring up the history of his last post. There was some good stuff in there.

Someone mentioned “When your in a level” you can’t see it. So, would that mean that there is a level that we cannot see nor understand, but we know it exists. That would be level 12 or 13. It’s like a dog. It may know that I exist, but it will never be smarted than me. Except that I did not create it. Suppose I create a control system (i.e. a computer). The computer will control, but it could never be smarter than me. It can only be as smart as its creator. If it needs help it tells you by not working or sending an error message. As the creator, I will either fix it or create a new one.

Take PCT. Bill has developed it and I like it. But, I don’t worship PCT or Bill. I don’t put the system above Bill and I don’t put Bill above his creator. I am thankful that a system like this was developed by Bill because it has helped me. But, for me to begin worshiping Bill and seeing him as an expert would be for me to put him above his creator. It’s a great system, but I would rather talk to Bill’s creator if his system wasn’t working for me. I would want to go up a level–above Bill.

I think with regards to the Bible–many have put the Bible above God. That has resulted in people being mistreated/abused at the expense of abiding by the Bible. I guess that would be religion (a set of rules) and not faith-in my mind. The creator is above the Bible, because he created it. The Bible cannot know more than its creator.

It’s sounds like some on this thread like Richard feel that the Bible has been used as a moral guide. That is where people have felt mistreated. I don’t think it was written for that purpose. But those that have done the abusing are entitled to their perception. That is between them and their creator. Isn’t the Bible more than a moral guide? Isn’t it a revelation of the soul of our creator? It’s a small glimpse of Him because we do not have the intellectual capacity to understand our creator because we did not create ourselves. I admit it is fun trying to understand the creator and talking with him, but I realize that I may just be stuck with knowing that He exists and talking with Him for now, at least on this side of perception. :slight_smile:

I agree with what Bill said that the Kingdom of God lies within us, but we can never be the kingdom-only a reflection. Just as we know and can predict with accuracy what moves a computer will make before it makes it. I think our creator knows what moves we will make. All the creator wants is for us to be in relationship with Him. Isn’t that all we want from the computer. We want the computer to work for us. It relates to us when we push the buttons and it responds. I know I am stretching because I don’t believe a computer has a soul.

But, isn’t there something within us that is a reflection of our creator? We have some connection to the creator within because we have the capacity to think. We develop theories and questions. Some may walk away with more questions after this post or more skeptical? Isn’t that okay?

We attempt to try to describe the reflection of the creator as soul or love or the inner man. Don’t we know that that exists? We know it exists, but we disagree with how to describe it. That is the next level. We know its there influencing behavior but we can’t quite agree on its character. But, it’s there. If we knew what it was completely, then we could all pack up and go home because there would be no need to research or talk anymore. We would have it all figured out. We would then become the creator, which is impossible. We did not create ourselves.

The great part about MOL is that you are asking questions to help people look up to the creator and find the solution within. If I sit in a chair and give advice like most therapists, then I am trying to play the role of creator in that person’s life. That is where the abuse and misuse occurs. People are mislead and brainwashed when that happens. The best part about my exchange with Bill was that he asked me questions that made me think about what I could do in my life. He didn’t tell me what to do, which is what many other theorists would do. But, it’s just a system–the creator is still above it. What is that creator? what is the soul of that creator? That is what keeps me going each day–the curiosity to know more. Why do you post on this board? I know why I do, but my answer may be different than yours which I think is okay.

This is a great discussion.

Jim Wuwert
School Counselor
Cook Elementary School
336-727-2784 (work)
336-727-8458 (fax)

-----“Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)” CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU wrote: -----

Sorry, but except for analyzing the control aspects of the words used
in this little contest about Spirit, there is nothing valuable about
the discussion. Kenny, you can’t test for spirit, miracles, heart, the
spriritual object of a belief, or God. So drop it. It makes me
embarrassed that such a subject, other than the controlling behavior
involved in the phenom, is discussed on this forum.
Sent by: “Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)” CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Date: 11/29/2007 04:03PM

[From Bill Powers (2007.11.29.1326 MDT)]

Bryan Thalhammer (2007.11.29.1228 CST) –

Excuse my pouncing on your remarks, but since when has the objective of CSGnet been to promote your values or avoid embarrassing you? Kenny presented his comments in a reasonable way, which deserves a reasonable answer. You can’t test for awareness, either, but I doubt that you would argue sincerely that you’re unaware and wish to be treated like an alphanumeric stimulus-response machine that somehow got connected to this server.

If you reject Kenny’s “inner man” then you reject my “observer” and you declare yourself to be an automaton. If you really wish to be dealt with that way I’m sure you can be accomodated, but I don’t think you would like it much.

I would like to convince Kenny that what he experiences as a Creator is the same thing I experience as an Observer, but only if he examines the same phenomena and sees that a different interpretation is possible and reasonable. I don’t believe that the route to understanding is through scoffing, ridicule, superiority, hostility and suppression. Such attitudes show that you are irritated and impatient, but not that you are right.

Best,

Bill P.

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.10/1159 - Release Date: 11/29/2007 11:10 AM

[From Bill Powers (2007.11.30.1506 MST)]

Jim Wuwert 2007.11.30.1022 EST –

Jim, don’t get too encouraged by my defense of Kenny. I’m really not very
interested in the supernatural themes of religion. I think the world and
the universe most probably evolved rather than being created by some
super-intelligence, and I do not sense someone looking over my shoulder,
taking care of me, or waiting to judge me when I die. I understand
somewhat how it is that some adults can still believe such things, and
why most adults feel they have to say that they do, but I have not taken
the details of religion seriously since I was about 12 years
old.

If a pursuit of such topics can lead to some useful understanding of
human nature, I see nothing wrong with discussing them here, but you
should not be misled into thinking that there will be a sharing of
revelations or faiths among the majority of participants on CSGnet.
Kenny, I think, is cheerfully aware of this and he knows that he is
accepted as one of us because of his interest in and understanding of
PCT, not his faith. I don’t think he has any illusions about converting
the CSG. He does know that he is respected, because he is a past
President of the CSG; we get along just fine in the areas where our
interests coincide.

Awareness is one of the great mysteries of psychology and I am content to
go on saying that I don’t understand what it is or how it works – until
I can come up with a better theory than any religion has offered so far.
I don’t see any signs of that on the horizon, but I’ll listen to any
proposal that is backed up by solid evidence reproducible on demand. The
method of levels offers some reproducible evidence of that kind. What
have you got?

It’s too bad that Bryan insisted on going to war against religion and
insulting people who don’t believe as he does. We’ve had enough of
paranoia, vituperation, and attack on CSGnet, and I think we’re all
pretty tired of it. Bryan has chosen to pick up his marbles and go home,
which is probably the right choice given his intentions to continue in
the same vein, but we never like to lose someone from our small band. I
hope you will stay around for whatever PCT has to offer to and receive
from you by way of scientific enlightenment.

Best,

Bill P.