Show on PBS

Barb P: Last night I watched a show on PBS called, "The Brain, with David Eagleman. I wondered if he’s ever studied PCT. Are any of you familiar with him? Thoughts? Opinions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Eagleman

Next week’s segment will be on PBS on Sunday, July 3, at 8:00 pm (Mountain time). His work is also available on DVDs and books.

The description of next week’s segment is, “Unconscious neural activity controls much of who we are and what we do.”

I’m curious to see what he’ll say…

*barb

Hi, I sent him this a while a go for the same reason and got no response. Maybe if we each email him separately with a similar email he might get the message (and not realise it is a CSGNet conspiracy!)

Dear David,
I have recently become acquainted with your work after hearing you speak on Inside Science on Radio 4 earlier. I can see the breadth of your work and have ordered your latest book. In the interview you mentioned two things that caught my attention. First, that the mind is a collection of conflicting control systems. And second, that we are lacking a satisfactory theory to explain the mind. I wonder whether you have encountered Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) which is a fully rendered computational framework for modelling behavior based on the tenet that the brain is a living, hierarchical control system. It places particular emphasis on the role of conflict and the learning algorithm to resolve this - called reorganisation. I might be the theory you are looking for?
If you want to read about it, I have compiled that last few decades of research on PCT at pctweb.org. Alternatively there are some key references. The key current neuroscientist in the field is Henry Yin at Duke. Also Lex Cools had worked in this area in the 1980s. In personal communications Karl Friston is sympathetic to the theory too.
I hope to hear from you,
Warren

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester

···

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

Barb P: Last night I watched a show on PBS called, "The Brain, with David Eagleman. I wondered if he’s ever studied PCT. Are any of you familiar with him? Thoughts? Opinions?

Next week’s segment will be on PBS on Sunday, July 3, at 8:00 pm (Mountain time). His work is also available on DVDs and books.

The description of next week’s segment is, “Unconscious neural activity controls much of who we are and what we do.”

*barb

Dr Warren Mansell
Reader in Clinical Psychology
School of Psychological Sciences
2nd Floor Zochonis Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Email: warren.mansell@manchester.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8589

Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

Check www.pctweb.org for further information on Perceptual Control Theory

Barb P: I knew at least some of you would be a few steps ahead of me! I’ll work on composing a letter, and run it past a few of you first, after I watch his next segment. Whether or not he responds, I’ll also send him an invitation to the conference next year. (By the way, we are still working on that…)

Thanks so much for your responses… hopefully we’ll get him interested!

Best,

*barb

···

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, I sent him this a while a go for the same reason and got no response. Maybe if we each email him separately with a similar email he might get the message (and not realise it is a CSGNet conspiracy!)

Dear David,
I have recently become acquainted with your work after hearing you speak on Inside Science on Radio 4 earlier. I can see the breadth of your work and have ordered your latest book. In the interview you mentioned two things that caught my attention. First, that the mind is a collection of conflicting control systems. And second, that we are lacking a satisfactory theory to explain the mind. I wonder whether you have encountered Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) which is a fully rendered computational framework for modelling behavior based on the tenet that the brain is a living, hierarchical control system. It places particular emphasis on the role of conflict and the learning algorithm to resolve this - called reorganisation. I might be the theory you are looking for?
If you want to read about it, I have compiled that last few decades of research on PCT at pctweb.org. Alternatively there are some key references. The key current neuroscientist in the field is Henry Yin at Duke. Also Lex Cools had worked in this area in the 1980s. In personal communications Karl Friston is sympathetic to the theory too.
I hope to hear from you,
Warren

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

*barb

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8589

Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

Check www.pctweb.org for further information on Perceptual Control Theory

Thank you for your response, Henry, I understand and appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I will certainly honor your request not to mention your name I will also re-consider my request to invite him to the conference. Although I may still try to reach out to him in some way.

Thanks again,
*barb

···

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Warren Mansell
wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Dear David,

I have recently become acquainted with your work after hearing you speak on Inside Science on Radio 4 earlier. I can see the breadth of your work and have ordered your latest book. In the interview you mentioned two things that
caught my attention. First, that the mind is a collection of conflicting control systems. And second, that we are lacking a satisfactory theory to explain the mind. I wonder whether you have encountered Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) which is a fully rendered
computational framework for modelling behavior based on the tenet that the brain is a living, hierarchical control system. It places particular emphasis on the role of conflict and the learning algorithm to resolve this - called reorganisation. I might be
the theory you are looking for?

If you want to read about it, I have compiled that last few decades of research on PCT at pctweb.org .
Alternatively there are some key references. The key current neuroscientist in the field is Henry Yin at Duke. Also Lex Cools had worked in this area in the 1980s. In personal communications Karl Friston is sympathetic to the theory too.

I hope to hear from you,

Warren

Dr Warren Mansell

University of Manchester

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM,
bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

*barb

Dr Warren Mansell

University of Manchester

Oxford Road

Manchester M13 9PL

Tel:
+44 (0) 161 275 8589

http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/staff/131406

Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai -

Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

Check
www.pctweb.org
for further information on Perceptual Control Theory