[spam] Re: Conflict (was Re: Perception vs Interpretation)

[From Bill Powers (2007.01.17.1610 MST)]

Rick Marken (2007.01.16.0900)]

Clearly, Rick is talking only
about the lowest level, where the conflict is
expressed.

Duh!

Wouldn’t it have been simpler if you had just said, at the beginning of
this discussion: “Rick, when you say that conflict does not
result from people perceiving things differently, you are correctly
describing the situation at the level at which the conflict is expressed.
At that level conflict results from what you say: two or more systems
controlling virtually the same perceptual variable. When I say that
conflict results from people having different perceptions I am talking
about the different perceptions controlled by the higher level systems
that set the conflicting goals for the lower level
systems”.

My guess is that you didn’t say this because you didn’t think it at the
time.

No, I was waiting for someone else to say it. Someone finally did. Check
out page 78 of MSOB, where I describe how there is one level where the
conflict is expressed, a second level where it is caused, and a third
level that creates the situation in which the conflict can arise. When
you said a conflict cannot “result from” a difference in
perception, you were focused on your own meaning of “result
from” and didn’t realize that there are other equally-natural, and
maybe more natural, meanings.

The conflicting reference signals that meet in a single comparator at a
lower level are generated by two different control systems at the next
level up. Those control systems have their own perceptual input functions
and in general are controlling for different variables. When there is
conflict, it just happens that in order to control variable A at the
higher level, the perception at the lower level has to be set to one
value, while in order to control variable B at the higher level, the SAME
perception at the lower level has to be set to a significantly different
value. So the two control systems at the higher level are in conflict
because they are (inadvertently) trying to set one lower-level perception
to two different values at the same time. The conflict is expressed at
the level where the reference signals meet. It is caused at the level
where those specific different perceptions are being controlled.

And the reference signals are in conflict because the higher systems are
controlling different perceptions, both of which depend in part on that
same lower-level perception . The conflict results from controlling those
two different perceptions. Note that this has nothing to do about whether
those perceptions are “correct.”

You know as well as I do (I
presume) that I know how conflict works; and I think you also knew what I
was talking about but you persisted in saying that “conflict results
from people perceiving things differently” because you know that’s
how most non-modeling types like to describe it.

That’s not why I said it, as I hope you can see now.

I believe that you (as you
seem so often to do) were verbally pandering to your acolytes in order to
sell PCT. At least, you look to me like you are pandering –
probably as much as I look to you like I’m trying to be
right.

Since I was simply repeating what I had already said in MSOB I reject the
“pandering” accusation. My impression that you’re trying very
hard to be right about this is increased when you start saying of other
people’s examples, “No, that’s not controlling for different
perceptions, it’s controlling for different reference levels” – and
each of the different reference levels is for a different perception, not
the same one. If you were attending to something other than being right,
you would have seen that.

Since a conflict is defined as a
state in which the same variable must be in different states, what he
says is true about that level.

Oh, thank you, your majesty;-)

But perceiving things
differently can easily be responsible for the generation of the reference
signals that cause the conflict, so the conflict results from the
difference in perceptions.

Which is something I obviously know. To say now that that is what you
were talking about all along is just, well, insulting.

Well; if you already knew that conflict can result from a difference in
perceptions, why did you insist so vehemently that it NEVER results from
a difference in perceptions? You were apparently using “results
from” as synonymous with “is defined as.” That’s not what
I, or others, mean by that term.

There are probably much simpler
ways to demonstrate this phenomenon, and after Rick gets through trying
so hard to be right, he will probably think of one.

I am not trying to be right just to be right (though that perception is
up to you;-) What I think I am doing is trying to present a correct
picture of how conflict works

Isn’t that “trying to be right?” Or does “Trying to
present a correct picture” mean something different?

from a control perspective
because I want people – especially the clinically inclined types who are
the ones who most often want to see conflict as a result of
“perceiving things differently” – to understand why MOL
is such a promising approach to counseling. Based on my
understanding of PCT, solving conflicts is about new ways of setting
goals; it’s not about new ways of perceiving.

Why not? Isn’t the MOL about reorganizing? Can’t people reorganize their
perceptions? If not, how did those perceptions come into being in the
first place?

Current approaches to
counseling emphasize helping people “see things differently”
under the assumption, articulated informally by you and the rest here on
CSGNet, that conflict results when people see things
differently.

No, I never said that. I said that conflict, when it occurs, results from
controlling different perceptions that entail the use of the same
lower-level perception. It is perfectly possible to control different
perceptions without causing conflict. You can control for chocolate ice
cream while I control for root beer without the least conflict – unless
we have only enough money to buy one of them.

I think MOL is mainly
about helping people want things differently (via reorganization). So I
will keep pushing to be “right” about how conflict works, not
as an ego trip for me but to help push Tim Carey’s wonderful book on
MOL.

I think that behind your rejection of the idea of conflict resulting from
different perceptions is the same issue we have discussed before –
whether people really perceive differently. You seem very adamant about
this, very sure that what you perceive is what is actually happening.
Apparently, anyone who doesn’t perceive the same way you do is (as you
seem to be putting it) NOT REALLY perceiving differently, but only
setting a different reference level for something he perceives exactly as
you do. You’re rejecting the possibility of different perceptions of the
same external situation a priori. You’ve been holding that
position for quite a few years now. But when I ask you to show me how you
can defend your idea, you just ignore me. I don’t think you can
demonstrate that two people perceive the same thing. But maybe you can,
and that’s why you maintain your position. If so, let me in on
it.

By the way, I do not like being called :“your majesty.” A
simple “Excellency” or “Gracious Sir” will
do.

Best.

Bill

[From Rick Marken (2007.01.17.2250)]

Bill Powers (2007.01.17.1610 MST)--

Rick Marken (2007.01.16.0900)

Wouldn't it have been simpler if you had just said, at the beginning of this discussion:� "Rick, when you say that conflict _does not_ result from people perceiving things differently, you are correctly describing the situation at the level at which the conflict is expressed. At that level conflict results from what you say: two or more systems controlling virtually the same perceptual variable. When I say that conflict results from people having different perceptions I am talking about the different perceptions controlled by the higher level systems that set the conflicting goals for the lower level systems".

My guess is that you didn't say this because you didn't think it at the time.

No, I was waiting for someone else to say it.

Why would you do that? If you really thought I was misunderstanding what people were saying, why not jump in and fix it . Instead you jump on me and no others while waiting for someone else to clear things up? I don't buy it.

Someone finally did.

Yes. It was me trying to make sense of something Bruce Nevin said. I said that his comments about Lakoff's models could be interpreted as a description of two different higher level perceptions that are controlled by setting inconsistent references for the same lower level perceptual variable. Here it is:

Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1140) --

Bruce Nevin (2007.01.15 14:13 EST)--

This contrast is exemplary of many such contrasts between left-wing views and right-wing views that Lakoff has investigated.

Yes, it's a contrast of references, not ways of perceiving.

The family is the social system that is literally closest to home, and within which a child learns about social and political realities...

The strict father model is a hierarchical arrangement of moral authority from God...

In the nurturing parent model, the parents (if there are two) share household responsibilities...

These could be different higher order perceptions for which people control. If you are controlling for the strict father model you'll set your reference for programs like healthcare financing differently than if you are controlling for the nurturing parent model.

Notice that Bruce said nothing about how conflict could result from the fact that these models (different perceptions) could be the source of incompatible references for a single perception: healthcare financing. It seemed to me that Bruce was describing the models as different ways of perceiving the same situation but I thought it would be better to interpret him in a way that assumed he understood that conflict result from higher level systems controlling different perceptions by setting incompatible references for the _same_ lower level perceptions.

Check out page 78 of MSOB, where I describe how there is one level where the conflict is expressed, a second level where it is caused, and a third level that creates the situation in which the conflict can arise. When you said a conflict cannot "result from" a difference in perception, you were focused on your own meaning of "result from" and didn't realize that there are other equally-natural, and maybe more natural, meanings.

That may be true. But no one else was seeing "result from" in that sense either, you included. Bruce Nevin certainly didn't mean "result from" in the sense of higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower level perception when he said:

Bruce Nevin (2007.1.14 19:45 EST)

Conflict can result when two control systems control perceptual variables which are, in each of them independently, functions of the same environmental variables.

This is not a description of two higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower level perception. Bruce is implying that two different ways of perceiving the same environmental variables is the basis of conflict.

Nor did you understand "results from" as you say above when you said:

Bill Powers (2007.01.15.0959 EST)

But differences in the way people see things are one of the main sources of conflict between them. If I try to help you and you want to show your independence, you will see me as an interfering busybody and I will see you as an unreasonable ingrate, and that can be enough to break up a family.

Again, this is not a description of two higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower level perception. You are saying that two different ways of perceiving the same situation -- as helping vs interference -- is the basis of conflict.

And Dag didn't understand conflict as resulting from two higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower level perceptions when he said:

Dag Forssell (2007.01.15.1710)--

How about the Rubber Band Demonstration. You and I in front of a blackboard agreeing to keep the knot over a dot on the board. No problem as long as we keep the rubber bands and the knot in the same plane as the board. Now let us move our hands four inches in front of the board. From my point of view, the knot will be too far toward you, so I will pull more. The converse from your point of view. Soon we break the rubber bands.

Nor did David Goldstein understand conflict as resulting from two higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower level perceptions when he said:

David Goldstein (2007.01.15.2313 EST)

The interpersonal conflict within the family results from people believing different things.

In every case, these people were clearly understanding "conflict results from" the same way I was: as what you would now call "conflict expressed as". And yet I was the one you jumped on about it? Why do you suppose that is?

The conflicting reference signals that meet in a single comparator at a lower level are generated by two different control systems at the next level up. Those control systems have their own perceptual input functions and in general are controlling for different variables. When there is conflict, it just happens that in order to control variable A at the higher level, the perception at the lower level has to be set to one value, while in order to control variable B at the higher level, the SAME perception at the lower level has to be set to a significantly different value. So the two control systems at the higher level are in conflict because they are (inadvertently) trying to set one lower-level perception to two different values at the same time. The conflict is expressed at the level where the reference signals meet. It is caused at the level where those specific different perceptions are being controlled.

This is a lovely description of conflict. But, as I said in an earlier post:

Rick Marken (2007.01.16.1020)

conflict usually _doesn't_ result from a difference in perceptions at the higher levels that generate the reference signals for lower level systems. Saying that the conflict results from a difference in perceptions controlled by the systems that generate the reference signals that cause the conflict is somewhat misleading, for two reasons: 1) it suggests that the conflict could be solved by controlling the same rather than different perceptions at this higher level, which is not the case and 2) it suggests that conflict always results from control of different perceptions at this higher level, which is also not the case since (according to the model) higher level systems control _many_ different perceptions -- as many as there are systems at that level -- and this rarely results in >> conflict

So describing as conflict as the result of "different perceptions" doesn't seem like a wise pedagogical strategy, even if you correctly now that the different perceptions create the conflict by setting incompatible references for the same lower level perception. The important point is the latter -- that conflict results from higher level systems setting of incompatible references for a lower level perception. The fact that the higher level perceptions are different is really irrelevant: because all higher level perceptions are different from each other and you can solve the conflict by having the higher level system perceive the same thing; then you would just move the conflict up a level.

You know as well as I do (I presume) that I know how conflict works; and I think you also knew what I was talking about but you persisted in saying that "conflict results from people perceiving things differently" because you know that's how most non-modeling types like to describe it.

That's not why I said it, as I hope you can see now.

But that _is_ what you said. See your quote above. It's not what you are saying _now_ but it's what you (and everyone else) said during the discussion. What you said was completely consistent with the mistaken explanations of conflict given by all but me. I got special treatment from you, however, and I think it's because you know that you don't have to pander to me. And you're right.

But perceiving things differently can easily be responsible for the generation of the reference signals that cause the conflict, so the conflict results from the difference in perceptions.

Which is something I obviously know. To say now that that is what you were talking about all along is just, well, insulting.

Well; if you already knew that conflict can result from a difference in perceptions, why did you insist so vehemently that it NEVER results from a difference in perceptions? You were apparently using "results from" as synonymous with "is defined as." That's not what I, or others, mean by that term.

Well, again, that's not quite the case. See the above quotes; what others (including you) meant when they said conflict results from (or is based on or whatever) different perceptions is exactly what I thought you meant: that conflict results from seeing the same situation differently.

There are probably much simpler ways to demonstrate this phenomenon, and after Rick gets through trying so hard to be right, he will probably think of one.

I am not trying to be right just to be right (though that perception is up to you;-)� What I think I am doing is trying to present a correct picture of how conflict works

Isn't that "trying to be right?" Or does "Trying to present a correct picture" mean something different?

I suppose. But it has a slightly different ring when you say it that way. Suppose you had said: There are probably much simpler ways to demonstrate this phenomenon, and after Rick gets through trying so hard to present a correct picture of conflict, he will probably think of one. I think saying it that way makes it seem more like what Rick is doing is a lot more like what even you would have to agree is something worthwhile;-)

Based on my understanding of PCT, solving conflicts is about new ways of setting goals; it's _not_ about new ways of perceiving.

Why not? Isn't the MOL about reorganizing? Can't people reorganize their perceptions? If not, how did those perceptions come into being in the first place?

Sure they can reorganize their perceptions, too. I was wrong to say this.

Current approaches to counseling emphasize helping people "see things differently" under the assumption, articulated informally by you and the rest here on CSGNet, that conflict results when people see things differently.

No, I never said that. I said that conflict, when it occurs, results from controlling different perceptions that entail the use of the same lower-level perception.

Well, gosh, that turns out to be kind of a false statement. See your quote above.

It is perfectly possible to control different perceptions without causing conflict. You can control for chocolate ice cream while I control for root beer without the least conflict -- unless we have only enough money to buy one of them.

Yes, that's why I said (in the post I quoted above: Rick Marken [2007.01.16.1020] ) that saying "conflict results from controlling different perceptions" -- even given your interpretation of "results from" as referring to the different perceptions at the level above where the conflict is expressed -- is not a good way to describe why conflict occurs because we control a gazillion different perceptions at the same time with no resulting conflicts. Conflict results only when control of different higher level perception results in inconsistent references for the same or similar lower level perceptions.

I think that behind your rejection of the idea of conflict resulting from different perceptions is the same issue we have discussed before -- whether people really perceive differently. You seem very adamant about this, very sure that what you perceive is what is actually happening.

This is simply not true; I don't know where you get this. I have no doubt that people can, and do, often perceive the same situations differently. I don't believe that what I perceive is what is actually happening.

What I believe is that people _can_ perceive the same thing. That is, I believe that people can have functionally equivalent perceptual input functions. I think the evidence that this is true is overwhelming. How you get from there to the idea that I think that my perceptions are in some sense veridical or a reflection of what's really happening is beyond me. I imagine that my perceptions are probably relatively arbitrary functions of whatever is "out there". All I am saying is that I think it's obvious that I can perceive things in the same way as others do. I _can_ perceive like others; that doesn't mean I always (or, perhaps, even very often) do.

Apparently, anyone who doesn't perceive the same way you do is (as you seem to be putting it) NOT REALLY perceiving differently, but only setting a different reference level for something he perceives exactly as you do.

That is not even close to my conception of perception.

You're rejecting the possibility of different perceptions of the same external situation a priori.

But I am not rejecting that possibility at all. Indeed, I am sure that people often do perceive the same external situation differently. I don't know where you get this.

You've been holding that position for quite a few years now. But when I ask you to show me how you can defend your idea, you just ignore me.

Bill, yoo hoo, it's me, Rick. I have never held that position. The position I hold is that people _can_ perceive the same situation in the same (or, functionally equivalent) ways. Otherwise, how could all those people have successfully done the tracking task? They had to have a perception that was something like c-t (cursor minus target position), otherwise they couldn't have controlled c-t. Their actual perception may have been something isomorphic to c-t but, to me, that counts as the same perception.

I don't think you can demonstrate that two people perceive the same thing. But maybe you can, and that's why you maintain your position. If so, let me in on it.

I just described what I mean by "perceiving the same thing". If you don't consider us to be perceiving the same thing when we both control c-t then what you mean by perceiving the same thing is too esoteric for me; I guess I would say that I can't demonstrate that people can perceive the same thing in the sense you mean and I don't care. As long as I can do research that shows that variable x or variable y is controlled then I'm happy.

By the way, I do not like being called :"your majesty." A simple "Excellency" or "Gracious Sir" will do.

I'll be happy to call you "Excellency" or "Gracious Sir" as soon as you start acting excellent or gracious. But, of course, you feel free to act in any way you want. I love the sport -- it's invigorating -- and, as I'm sure you know, I'm here to stay because it's those wonderful ideas of yours that I love, not the pandering soul in you (note another Yeats reference; the other being in my Dancer and the Dance paper, of course) :wink:

Best regards

Rick

···

---
Richard S. Marken Consulting
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

[From Bill Powers (2007.01.18.0600 MST)]

Rick Marken (2007.01.17.2250) –

I think the present discussion, if we may stretch the meaning of that
term, is an example of two people (or more) perceiving the same things in
different ways and, as a result, coming into conflict. When you look back
over earlier posts, you see one set of meanings, while I see (and saw
then) a different set. But since you still see the same meanings you saw
the first time, you accuse me of changing my story, because you assume
that I saw the meanings you saw the first time (and apparently still see)
and am now claiming something different. Here’s your comment on what I
said on the 15th:

Wouldn’t it have been simpler if
you had just said, at the beginning of this discussion: “Rick,
when you say that conflict does not result from people perceiving
things differently, you are correctly describing the situation at the
level at which the conflict is expressed. At that level conflict results
from what you say: two or more systems controlling virtually the same
perceptual variable. When I say that conflict results from people having
different perceptions I am talking about the different perceptions
controlled by the higher level systems that set the conflicting goals for
the lower level systems”.

My guess is that you didn’t say this because you didn’t think it at the
time.

That’s clear enough. I didn’t think it at the time, you say,
telepathically.

When we write we often leave out details, either assuming they are
self-evident or simply forgetting that they’re not. The first time I
wrote about different higher-level perceptions resulting in conflict, I
left out saying that we were talking about systems already in conflict,
and offering explanations for the conflict. But now, when you look back,
you see me saying that all differences of perception cause conflict,
which is how you saw it the first time, and you accuse me of changing my
view to pander to those less intellectually fortunate and in need of my
aid. That’s why I cited the page in MSOB, to correct your mistaken
impression that I have changed my mind on this matter.I didn’t. Or do you
think I went back and changed MSOB to support what I am saying
now?

Other problems follow from using language differently. It’s all very
well, Bruce N., to marvel at how we manage to reach agreements through
the use of language, but what’s going on here casts a great deal of doubt
on how marvellous it really is.

If you really thought I was
misunderstanding what people were saying, why not jump in and fix it .
Instead you jump on me and no others while waiting for someone else to
clear things up? I don’t buy it.

Someone finally
did.

Yes. It was me trying to make sense of something Bruce Nevin said. I said
that his comments about Lakoff’s models could be interpreted as a
description of two different higher level perceptions that are
controlled by setting inconsistent references for the same lower level
perceptual variable. Here it is:

Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1140)

Bruce Nevin (2007.01.15
14:13 EST)–

This contrast is exemplary of many such contrasts between left-wing views
and right-wing views that Lakoff has
investigated.

That isn’t the part I was referring to. I was referring to this part of
Bruce Nevin’s post:

Rick Marken (2007.01.15.1401)

My point above was just addressing Bruce’s claim that "conflict
can

result when two control systems control perceptual variables which
are

functions of the same environmental variables". This is just
NOT true

in general.

[Bruce said:]

The statement that conflict CAN result under these circumstances

certainly is true in general. I am aware that there are other
factors;

that is why I included the word “can”.

Do you understand how this important word “can” escaped your
notice?

to which Marken replies, not having understood what Nevin said,

Yes, it’s a contrast of
references, not ways of
perceiving.

That addressed your misunderstanding that Bruce, and earlier I, said that
differences in perception always lead to conflict. They CAN lead to
conflict, and I see this as a major source of conflicts, as I said in
MSOB. If you read MSOB carefully, however, you will see that such
conflicts do not require that people have different perceptions
of the same external situation. That case is a subset of all the
cases in which conflict is caused by two control systems controlling
different perceptions of the same or different external situations. All
conflicts, however, result from higher systems which have different
perceptions. There is a difference between

All conflicts result from higher systems with different
perceptions

and

Higher systems with different perceptions all result in
conflicts.

Bruce: The strict father model
is a hierarchical arrangement of moral authority from God…

In the nurturing parent model, the parents (if there are two) share
household responsibilities…

Rick: These could be different
higher order perceptions for which people

control. If you are controlling for the strict father model you’ll
set your reference for programs like healthcare financing
differently than if you are controlling for the nurturing parent
model.

That is what Bruce just said. The conflict results from two different
control systems controlling different perceptions by choosing conflicting
reference levels for lower-order variables. That is what I was talking
about and what Bruce was talking about. What were you talking
about?

Notice that Bruce said nothing
about how conflict could result from the fact that these models
(different perceptions) could be the source of incompatible references
for a single perception: healthcare financing. It seemed to me that Bruce
was describing the models as different ways of perceiving the same
situation but I thought it would be better to interpret him in a way that
assumed he understood that conflict result from higher level systems
controlling different perceptions by setting incompatible references for
the same lower level perceptions.

But why would it be “better?” Because that’s how you interpret
him? Your sole argument is simply to contradict Bruce’s interpretation.
And anyway, Bruce WAS talking about a difference in perceptions resulting
in setting incompatible references at a lower level. That’s what a
conflict is, isn’t it?

[Me] Check out page 78 of MSOB,
where I describe how there is one level where the conflict is expressed,
a second level where it is caused, and a third level that creates the
situation in which the conflict can arise. When you said a conflict
cannot “result from” a difference in perception, you were
focused on your own meaning of “result from” and didn’t realize
that there are other equally-natural, and maybe more natural,
meanings.

[Rick] That may be true. But no one else was seeing “result
from” in that sense either, you included.

You were the only one making that misinterpretation, Rick. The setting of
two mutually incompatible reference levels results from two higher-order
systems controlling different perceptions, not from two higher systems
controlling the same perception. Two higher systems do not control the
same perception.

Bruce Nevin certainly
didn’t mean “result from” in the sense of higher level systems
setting incompatible references for a lower level perception when he
said:

Bruce Nevin (2007.1.14 19:45
EST)

Conflict can result when two control systems control perceptual variables
which are, in each of them independently, functions of the same
environmental variables.

“Certainly?” I’d say that he quite probably meant exactly what
you say he didn’t mean. But why not ask Bruce? None of us here is a
telepath.

[Rick] This is not a description
of two higher level systems setting incompatible references for a lower
level perception. Bruce is implying that two different ways of perceiving
the same environmental variables is the basis of
conflict.

“Is the basis of?” Whose mouth did that come out of? But in
fact this is correct: the basis, the reason for or the underlying
explanation of conflict is that two higher-level control systems
controlling different perceptions set incompatible references for one
lower-level perception.

Nor did you understand
“results from” as you say above when you said:

Bill Powers (2007.01.15.0959
EST)

But “differences in the way people see things are one of the main
sources of conflict between them.” If I try to help you and you
want

to show your independence, you will see me as an interfering busybody and
I will see you as an unreasonable ingrate, and that can be enough to
break up a family.

Again, this is not a description of two higher level systems setting
incompatible references for a lower level perception. You are saying that
two different ways of perceiving the same situation – as helping vs
interference – is the basis of conflict.

No, I said that (quoting what you quoted two inches above in case you’ve
forgotten it already) "“differences in the way people see
things are one of the main sources of conflict between them.” What
does “one of the main sources” mean to you, or do you just skip
over such qualifying phrases as meaningless boilerplate? I didn’t even
say “differences in the way people see THE SAME things,” though
that is certainly an important case, which by the way you are reporting
it is well-illustrated here. You get one meaning out of the words I
wrote; I get a different meaning. And this is certainly the basis of a
conflict. A CONFLICT, Rick, not ALL CONFLICTS.

And Dag didn’t understand
conflict as resulting from two higher level systems setting incompatible
references for a lower level perceptions when he said:

Dag Forssell
(2007.01.15.1710)–

How about the Rubber Band Demonstration. You and I in front of a

blackboard agreeing to keep the knot over a dot on the board. No problem
as long as we keep the rubber bands and the knot in the same plane as the
board. Now let us move our hands four inches in front of the board.
from my point of view, the knot will be too far toward

you, so I will pull more. The converse from your point of view. Soon we
break the rubber bands.

But the basis of this conflict is that you perceive the knot as left of
the dot, while I perceive the very same knot as if it is to the right of
the dot, yet we each have to control the perception by acting on the very
same knot. The parallax creates different perceptions in each of us, and
that is the source of the conflict. It is not the conflict itself, but it
is the source of the conflict, where it comes from.

Nor did David Goldstein
understand conflict as resulting from two higher level systems setting
incompatible references for a lower level perceptions when he
said:

David Goldstein (2007.01.15.2313
EST)

The interpersonal conflict within the family results from people
believing different things.

In every case, these people were clearly understanding
“conflict results from” the same way I was: as what you would
now call “conflict expressed as”. And yet I was the one
you jumped on about it? Why do you suppose that is?

You’re still applying the same interpretation to these words that you
initially applied, which explains quite nicely why you are in conflict
with the rest of us about these meanings. I perceive David as saying that
people can set incompatible reference signals because they believe
different things are going on in the same situation. That’s what’s
happening here. Our conflict arises because you are using words
differently from the others and (apparently) are not aware of doing so,
or are insisting that your meanings or usages are the right ones. This
leads you to make statements that constitute errors for me and
others.

This is a lovely description of
conflict. But, as I said in an earlier post:

Rick Marken
(2007.01.16.1020)

conflict usually doesn’t result from a difference in perceptions at the
higher levels that generate the reference signals for lower level
systems. Saying that the conflict results from a difference in
perceptions controlled by the systems that generate the reference signals
that cause the conflict is somewhat misleading, for two reasons: 1) it
suggests that the conflict could be solved by controlling the same rather
than different perceptions at this higher level, which is not the case
and 2) it suggests that conflict always results from control of different
perceptions at this higher level, which is also not the case since
(according to the model) higher level systems control many different
perceptions – as many as there are systems at that level – and this
rarely results in >>
conflict

I think you are missing my point here. The conflict is not between
the different perceptions at the higher level. Those perceptions are
simply different from each other. But the output needed to control one of
them is incompatible with the output needed to control the other one,
because those outputs mostly cancel each other, so neither higher system
can operate properly.

When people perceive the same situation differently, we have a potential
for the most direct kind of conflict, because the same external situation
is behind both higher-level perceptions. The input functions are
different; therefore the action needed to satisfy one system is highly
unlikely to satisfy the other at the same time. In effect, one system
requires that some action take place, and the other requires that the
same action not take place.

I have no idea what you mean when you say “conflict usually
doesn’t result from a difference in perceptions at the higher levels
that generate the reference signals for lower level systems.” That
statement flatly contracts my basic analysis of how conflict arises.
Reference signals arise from higher-order systems. When two different
higher order systems, controlling different perceptual variables, send
reference signals to a common lower-order system, those reference signals
(I assume) add algebraically. The net reference signal is their sum.
Ordinarily, each higher-order system sends reference signals to many
lower-order systems, so each lower-order system is receiving a net
reference signal made up of the outputs of many higher-order systems.
Normally this does not produce conflict.

Perhaps what you meant to write was “A difference in perceptions at
the higher levels usually doesn’t result in conflict.” What you
did say was that a conflict usually doesn’t result from a difference in
higher-level perceptions," meaning that it usually arises in some
other way, and that is what I say is false. It usually DOES arise that
way. However, most of the time. this overlap of higher-order outputs does
not result in conflict.

[Rick] So describing as conflict
as the result of “different perceptions” doesn’t seem like a
wise pedagogical strategy, even if you correctly now that the different
perceptions create the conflict by setting incompatible references for
the same lower level perception. The important point is the latter –
that conflict results from higher level systems setting of incompatible
references for a lower level perception.

That is a very strange bunch of words as I read them. You seem to read
“conflict as a result of different perceptions” differently
from “different perceptions create the conflict by setting
incompatible references” (which still can’t be what you mean, but
let it go). I see those statements as saying the same thing. You see them
as saying something different. Simply adding some more detailed
explanation to one of them, either of them, doesn’t make them different.
When you read “conflict as a result of different perceptions” ,
you simply don’t see the same meaning I see. I certainly don’t see
“result of” as implying that is it only the difference in
perceptions that causes the conflict, with no intermediate steps, whereas
apparently you do. To me, one thing results from another if there is some
sort of connection between them. If I meant a direct connection, I’d say
one thing directly determines the other.

The fact that the higher level
perceptions are different is really irrelevant: because all higher level
perceptions are different from each other and you can solve the conflict
by having the higher level system perceive the same thing; then you would
just move the conflict up a level.

This supports my guess that you’re thinking of the conflict as existing
between the two “different” higher-level perceptions. As you
say, all higher-level perceptions are different from each other, except
by chance and in passing. They certainly depend in different ways on what
is below them. But they are not in conflict. Wanting to be a dominating
father is not in conflict with wanting to be a nurturing parent. Those
are different perceptions. They result in conflict if the means of being
one or the other leads to setting incompatible reference levels for a
single lower-order system: hit and don’t hit, for example.

[Rick] that is what you said.
See your quote above. It’s not what you are saying now but it’s
what you (and everyone else) said during the discussion. What you said
was completely consistent with the mistaken explanations of conflict
given by all but me. I got special treatment from you, however, and I
think it’s because you know that you don’t have to pander to me. And
you’re right.

OK, everyone is wrong but you. And we all changed our minds. This reminds
me of people who bring B:CP to me, point to a paragraph, and ask
“When did you put this in here?”

Well, again, that’s not quite
the case. See the above quotes; what others (including you) meant when
they said conflict results from (or is based on or whatever) different
perceptions is exactly what I thought you meant: that conflict results
from seeing the same situation differently.

But that is not what any of us said: we said that conflict can result
from seeing the same situation differently. It certainly results, when it
occurs, from two higher systems that have different perceptions of the
same environment – i.e., different perceptual input functions. You are
sticking to your original incorrect interpretations of what the others
meant and insisting that we have changed our minds when we
haven’t.

Best,

Bill (Excellency) P.