Stabilizing (was Re: Conflict...)

Please forgive me Kent. I know that you don’t want to querell with Rick, but I’m willing to do it. I hope you will not mind…

···

Sent: Friday, July 07, 2017 9:27 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Stabilizing (was Re: Conflict…)

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.07.1225)]

Kent McClelland (2017.07.05) –

re [Eetu Pikkarainen 2017-07-04] and Boris Hartman’s reply on 2017.07.05

KM: I’ve generally used the term “stabilized�, because, unlike Rick Marken, I think that in a perceptual control process the term “controlled� should be reserved for what happens to the perceptual variable and not to the corresponding environmental variable. Furthermore, it seems to me that what most often happens to the environmental variable is that the person tries to eliminate unwanted variation in the physical variable in order to keep the perception controlled. Thus, the physical actions to counteract disturbances that affect the perceptual variable tend also to reduce the variation in the physical variable, which sounds like stabilization to me. (Of course, Rick would prefer to call it control.)

RM: I prefer to use the term “control” to describe what is happening to both the perceptual variable and the physical (environmental) correlate of the variable in a control process.

HB : Well in your RCT theory it can be whatever you want. But you can’t mix it with PCT. There is only one »controlled variable«

Bill P : FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

HB : So it’s clear that in PCT the only controlled variable is perceptual signal or input.

RM : For two reasons.

First, because the technical meaning of control applies to what is happening to both variables: both are being brought to and maintained in reference states, protected from disturbance.

HB : So you say that control processes outside and inside the »Living Control Systems! Are the same or even »equal«. There are two references outside and inside. And both variables are brought to the same »reference state«. I don’t understand how definition of control does not show this ?

Bill P (B:CP):

CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

HB : O.K. show us in technical meaning how internal variables (in organism) are »protected from disturbances« and brought to reference state ? You can do it for all »intrinsic variables« ?

RM : And second, because the aspect of the environment that is being controlled – the controlled variable or controlled quantity–

Hb : Where do you see this from definition of control ???

Controlled variable and »controlled quantity« are totaly different concepts. In Bills’ theory PCT there is no »controlled variable« in environment, what can be seen from any Bills’ diagram and definition . But »Controlled quantity« is a PCT concept very different from »controlled variable«

Bill P :

The Living Control System of this kind must sense the controlled quantity in each dimenssion in which the quantity is to be controlled; this implies the inner model of the quantity in the form of a signal or set of signals.

HB : It’s from Bills Thesis and his literature. Do you agree with them ?

HB : You can see that in PCT »controlled quantity« is being emphasized as something that is to be controlled. Do you understand the difference between »present« and »future« tense. If you don’t then you’ll have to go to elementary school to clear up tenses. Ande ven more :

Bill P (B:CP) : Consider once again the meaning of the term controlled quantity. A controlled quantity is controlled only because it is detected by a control system, compared with a reference, and affected by outputs based on the error thus detected. The controlled quantity is defined strictly by the behaving system’s perceptual computers; it may or may not be identifiable as an objective (need I put in quotes?) property of, or entity in, the physical environment. In general an observer will not, therefore, be able to see what a control system is controlling.

RM : … is what we actually see being controlled.

HB : From the definitions of »controlled quantity« above you can see that there is nothing actually being controled outside. Control is happening just inside.

Bill P (B:CP) :

COMPARATOR : The portion of control system that computes the magnitude and direction of mismatch between perceptual and reference signal.

HB : From definition of comparator we can see that actually »perceptual signal is beaing controlled« in computation process in comparator. Can you describe your RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory) »comparator« how it works with »Controlled Perceptul Variable« ? Bill never used this term. How did you got it ?

RM : It’s this observation that leads us to an explanation in terms of control theory, which says that the observed control is achieved by a system that controls a perceptual representation of the variable being controlled.

HB : Ha,ha,ha…. Which »control theory ? RCT and engineering control theory ? You both explain how we observe »control«. But PCT has nothing to do with this.

PCT does not observe control, PCT control »observation«…. There is no »controlled observationn« in PCT….

As I said before Bill never used any such term as »controlled observation« or »Controlled Perceptul variable« PCV.

But Gavin did use something similar. It seems that you two agree that perceptual signal is controlled from outside. Why did you chased him away from CSGnet. You seem to be »brother in soul«.

RM : There is no need for two different words to describe what is going on with the controlled variable and controlled perception. One word will do: “control”.

HB : There is no control going outside in environment. There is no two control processes in the control loop. It’s just one control loop where »Perception is controlled«.

Otherwise Bill would put »controlled variable« in environment, but he didn’t. You did it in your RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory).

Rick you have no clue what is PCT. You don’t understand PCT anymore. You are out. And you were so good PCT thinker back in 2007. I think it’s better that you establish your own forum for RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory).

Boris

Best

Rick

However, things may be not quite so simple as I’ve just described. As Eetu notes in his post, the stabilization of the physical variable may sometimes look to an observer like destabilization, as when the perception controlled is one of physical movement, and the error eliminated in the process of controlling the perception is the difference between the intended movement and the perceived movement (say, of feet walking or fingers writing, as Eetu suggests). I guess I would describe this kind of effect as the “dynamic stabilization� of a pattern of movement. Or, as Eetu suggests, you might call it a matter of “adjustment� of the physical environment, including one’s own physical body, in the service of controlling one’s perceptions.

Things get even more complicated when you consider actions that are intentionally violent. In everyday life we are always, of course, controlling perceptions at many different perceptual levels all at once. When there is physical stability—that is, stability of the parts of the environment that correspond to our low-level perceptions—it’s generally&nbspp;useful to us for controlling our higher-level perceptions. Extreme variations in heat or cold, for example, as is happening outside on this hot day in Iowa, it make it hard for a person to get anything else done. Luckily, I’m still able to pursue my higher-level goals today in spite of the heat, because I an fortunate to have a stabilized physical environment inside my house, with the air conditioner chugging away, making it possible for me to do more today than just try to stay physically cool. My point is that stability in the physical variables that correspond to our lower-level perceptions gives us a solid platform, as it were, for controlling our higher-level perceptions.

Getting back to violence: We describe actions as violent when one person intentionally destabilizes the environmental variables that correspond to another person’s controlled perceptions. The most extreme kind of violence, of course, is destruction of the other person’s physical body by killing the person, immediately ending the victim’s perceptual control of anything at all. But when a person beats another person up or vandalizes the other person’s home, we also describe that as violence. In all of such cases of violence, the intention of the perpetrator is not to stabilize some portion of the physical environment but to damage or destroy it, making it unusable by the victim to control the perceptions that had previously been supported by that aspect of the physical environment. Perpetrators of violence are apparently able to control higher-level perceptions of their own by means of actions that inflict severe disturbances on the physical environment.

In violent actions, then, “stabilization� doesn’t quite describe what’s going on. “Adjustment� also seems a little tame for it. Other words I’ve sometimes used to describe what is happening, such as “modification� or “manipulation� of the environment, may also be inadequate. To use the word “control� seems even more far-fetched to me, when we’re describing what happens to an environmental variable corresponding to a perpetrator’s perceptual variable. The perpetrator is intentionally messing things up!

Anyhow, I don’t think there’s a perfect PCT description for what happens to the corresponding environmental variable in every case, but I do think it’s important to pay attention to what is happening in a perceptual controller’s environment as well as what is happening in the perceptual controller’s head.

Kent

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:26 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi wrote:

Dear Boris

Just a quick reply. I agree that stabilizing is often a good term. But there are at least two problems that Martin has noted. 1. All output does not stabilize but rather destabilize, like feet in walking or fingers in writing. 2. Also stabilizing like control mainly takes place inside as stabilizing the relationship between perceptions and error.

If you think that adjusting is too much a synonym for control then I have to contend myself just to “affecting”.

Eetu

(Lähetetty kännykästä / Sent from mobile)

Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net kirjoitti 5.7.2017 kello 14.26:

Dear Eetu,

Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 9:50 PM
Subject: VS: Conflict (was … long live William T. Powers

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2017-07-04]

[snip]

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Down…

···

Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:46 PM

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.12.1045)]

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

BH: Rick you have no clue what is PCT. You don’t understand PCT anymore. You are out. And you were so good PCT thinker back in 2007. I think it’s better that you establish your own forum for RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory).

RM: I’m afraid I’ll be staying here on CSGNet. But I agree that people on CSGNet seem to like your version of PCT better than mine.

HB : My version of PCT is backed up with Bills’ diagrams (specialy his latest in LCS III) and other citations. Your version of »PCT«, called RCT is not backed up with anything. At least you could provide evidences for »Behavior is control« and »Controlled Perceptual Variable« although we know that you can’t. It’s because Bill proved opposite.

I’m aware Rick that you know exactly what you are doing. I talked to you and I realized that you are very intelligent man. So I was all the time wondering what you are up to. And the only answer I’ve got is that you are »protecting« your RCT articles and books. As I said before, if you manage to persuade Powers ladies into changing PCT to RCT your articles and books will be saved. Â

But I wonder why you think I went off the PCT tracks in 2007.

HB : In our conversations back in 2007 we were asking »Which perception to control ?« speccially on the field of sport (rocket game or something like that and table tennis) and on the field of education what was pure PCT. I must say I really enjoyed it. These are mine favourite fields.

But in the years that follwed you started to ask yourself »Which variable in external environment  is to be controlled ?«. Do you feel the difference ? This is RCT. And you backed it up with such strange terms that I recognized last year checking your post back that you are talking about totaly different control loop. Here it is, if you didn’t my earlier posts, as you were saying for some time that my posts went to »Trash«. I know they didn’t but anyway :

1.   CONTROL : Keeping of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state, protected (defended) from disturbances.

2. OUTPUT FUNCTION : controlled effects (control of behavior) to outer environment so to keep some »controlled variable« in reference state

3.   FEED-BACK FUNCTION : »Control« of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state.

4.   INPUT FUNCTION : produce »Controlled Perceptual Variable« or »Controlled Perception«, the perceptual correlate of »controlled q.i.«

5.   COMPARATOR : ????

RM : My impression is that I held on pretty well until May of 2013.

HB : Well I must admitt that you produced some good ideas as you still do from time to time. But your »jumping« from one theory to another and mixind them is probably stresfull for other members. I have firm background knowledge and is not easy to confuse me. But I have impression that some of them would realy like to understand PCT and they hesitate between your confussion and my answers. Â

Perhaps you could point me to my posts to CSGNet during the period from January, 2007 to May, 2003 that were particularly non-PCT.

HB : You will do that for yoursself because in your articles there are usualy traces of your RCT. But you can show me where you strictly followed PCT logic. Or you can point me to your articles or books where you applayed strictly PCT. I haven’t time to deal with you. I already lost to much time on your RCT theory. But you can deny that you wrote about RCT control loop all the time. I know it will be hard as you put so many traces on CSGnet, but people have right to know why you are writing about your private model of control loop.

RM : …and maybe you could also point me to the post from Bill that criticized my discussions of PCT in those posts.

HB : We both know that Bill protected you as much as he could if you didn’t make »super mistake«. So I understand why you had feeling that you understand »pure PCT«. And I still think that it would be better if your friends would tell you oppenly where you are making PCT mistakes. That would be a favour to you. But they are mostly protecting your RCT although I think they are aware that you are not right, because you don’t show any evidences. You are just writing about nonexistant »facts« which are so because you said so.

RM: I didn’t publish that much on PCT in the period January, 2007 - May, 2013 but here’s the papers that I did manage to get published during that period:

x Marken, R. S. (2013) Taking Purpose into Account in Experimental Psychology: Testing for Controlled Variables, Psychological Reports, 112, 184-201

Marken, R. S. and Horth, B. (2011) When Causality Does Not Imply Correlation:More Spadework at the Foundations of Scientific Psychology, Psychological Reports, 108, 1-12

x Marken, R. S. (2010) The Power Law: An Example of a Behavioral Illusion?, Unpublished manuscript, http://www.mindreadings.com/BehavioralIllusion.pdf

x Marken, R. S. (2009) You Say You Had a Revolution: Methodological Foundations of Closed-Loop Psychology, *Review of General Psychology,*13, 137-145

Marken, R. S. (2008) Perceptual Control Theory, in I. B. Weiner & W. E. Craighead (Eds) Corsini’s Encyclopedia of Psychology, New York, NY: Wiley

RM: The one’s marked with an x are ones that I know Bill reviewed (or worked on with me) and approved. Perhaps you could read them over and let me know all the incorrect things I said that Bill (and I) failed to catch.

HB : Well this could be a deal, but for now I’ll stay on track of your RCT posts on CSGnet. There are so many of them and I have so little time. If you promise that you’ll stop writing for some time about RCT on CSGnet, I’ll read your articles and give you my oppinion.

We can probably let out article about »Power Law« as I already gave you my oppinion. It’s a disaster. It looks like you don’t know anything about nervous system. I doubt that Bill reviwed this because he knew a lot about nervous system. But considering that he let you waving arround with your »baseball catch theory« which has approximatelly the same mistake as Power Law artcile, I’d say that he was more surprised about your ignorancy when the truth came out. You didn’t do you homework as he wanted you to do. In our talkings about baseball catch he recognized on the end of our discussion the mistakes you made. But you can see for our discussions about »baseball catch« on CSGnet.

Bill did change his mind some time. His post about models came out very late after 2010. He recognized that there are no »representations« of the world outside but subjective models what Ashby and Maturana recognized in 1960. I presented that post many times.   Â

Bills’ theory is not perfect yet and I many times pointed out that it needs upgrade and I also criticized points where physiological evidences showed other way. I know that Bill was very sensitive for critics, so I started very carefully with »arrow« to »essential variables«, but conflict bursted immediatelly. I really didn’t want that. But I’ve got the feeling that »upgrade« to PCT must be given from somebody he trusted in a friendship way. Saying it in simple words, it has to be somebody from his »core« group as Barb is pointing out all the time. Well I don’t want to be treated as a third order member, who is giving his knowledge away so I stayed as »observer« and »corrector« on CSGnet. But I think I manage to »balance« CSGnet forum and preserve PCT. I have a feeling that I ow this to Bill for his patient hours explaining me PCT.

Bill did change his mind some times, but his »core« theory is steady and I can say it with no hestation that it’s the best theory of how organisms (people) function, and speccially about how nervous system function. With such a fundamental knowledge PCT should be leading theory on many feilds, but with such a progress and loosing time for nothing it will dissapear.  Â

I’ll end as I have to answer quite a lot of your and Bruce N. »prinicng« on CSGnet on the theme : »Behavior is control«, »Controlled variable« and »Controlled Perceptual Variable«.

Boris

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Down…

···

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:15 AM

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.12.17150)]

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

RM earlier : I’m afraid I’ll be staying here on CSGNet. But I agree that people on CSGNet seem to like your version of PCT better than mine.

HB earlier : My version of PCT is backed up with Bills’ diagrams (specialy his latest in LCS III) and other citations. Your version of »PCT«, called RCT is not backed up with anything.

HB : I’ll add that I provide also evidences from other sciences like biology (Maturana) and physiology (many books and practice which I had during my studies)

RM: Actually, my version of PCT, like Bill’s, is “backed up” with data and models.

HB : Well you mean data and models from your RCT theory. Bills’ theory PCT is backed up with various evidences (physics, physiology, …) among which I didin’t see interprettation of »data« in the way you did it. Where in his diagrams you see »controlled variable« in outer environment ???

You don’t have version of PCT. I don’t see any Bills’ theory in your RCT. Whenever I ask you to citate something from him or find other evidences in support to your RCT theory nothing happens except useless demos etc…

I told you and proved you many times even when Bill was with us, that your demos are wrong Rick. Your models which are build on »data« are showing wrong theory and you are proving it everyday through your posts. »Data« may be right (like in Power Law), but interpretation is wrong.

So don’t mix Bill and you together. You tried quite couple times to prove that you think the same as Bill but he refused such an insinuation. I hope that you’ll find it in archives.

The final arbiter is nature (as Bill wrote). And your data and model don’t work in life situations. Assumptions, data and models from your theory RCT are simply wrong. For example :

1.  Everything in loop happens at the same time. It wrong assumption. Show me one case in nature that will prove that you are right ?

2.  »Behavior is control« is wrong assumption

3.  There is some »controlled variable« in outer environment, which is controlled by behavior is wrong assumption.

4.  There is some »Controlled Perceptual Variable«. It's wrong assumption.

5.  People control people all the time is wrong assumption.

6.  There is some »extrasensory perception« in PCT is wrong assumption as you didn't prove it.

7.  That there is some »Third Eye« for »z« dimenssion is wrong assumption as that is not how nervous system function.

8.  Etc

HB: At least you could provide evidences for »Behavior is control« and »Controlled Perceptual Variable« although we know that you can’t. It’s because Bill proved opposite.

RM: Actually both Bill and I have provided considerable amounts of evidence,

HB : Bill provideded many evidences from different sciences in his books and articles. You didn’t provide any evidence for your RCT. Just some demos, simulations whcih has to be tested in nature. Did you drive a car as I suggested ?

You can’t provide »natural« evidences« for your RCT. Where are they ?

I knew that you will try to find a way to legitimate your RCT. You and Bill are two separated persons and two different thinking process. So I’ll treat you Rick and Bill as separated works.

Whatever you think you’ve been doing you have your chance to prove it in discussions about PCT. Till now you didn’t show evidences that »Behavior is control« or can be »controlled«, or how can some »Controlled Perceptusl Variable« exist. And you didn’t provide any evidences that »all elements in control loop work at the same time« and so on. Stop taking my time until your prove all the nosnsense you wrote.

RM : …in the form of data and models, that behavior is coontrol and that it is perceptual variables that are controlled.

HB : You are lying Rick. You are all the time convincing members of CSGnet forum that »environmental variables are controlled« and that »behavior is controlled«. Nothing what you offered till now didn’t prove the existance of »control of behavior« except in your imaginatonal constructs and demos which can be made by experimenters wishes. Nature will »act« as it is. It will not be so easy to »modulate« your wishes to results of the tests in nature.

And it would be good if you stop bugging with your data and models which are mostly wrong and unusefull and on wrong theoretical bases. I would rather see evidences from experts perceptions which were experimenting with nature (like physiologist do). Provide physiological evidences that »Behavior can be controlled«. Bill did already. And on the bases of experts observation and experimenting he concluded that »behavior« (OUTPUT) can’t be controlled.

You need evidences from experts who has perceptions of how neuro-muscular connection works. But you can read it in B:CP. It includes experts oppinions. And I have enough of your phylosophy and repeating myself. Go and see in B: CP how it has to be done.

Your imagined constructs are of no use. Even driving a car showed up to be total disaster. If people would drive car with your theoretical background they would all kill themselves by controlling wrong perceptions. Not mentioning if your theoretichal background with data and models would be used in hospitals. Probably nobody would survive.

RM : The evidence that “Behavior is control” for example, is provided (among other things)

HB : Which other things…???
<

RM : …by my “Nature of Control” demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/BasicTrack.html)

HB : Your demo is useless for PCT. It says that you »control« the distance between »cursor and traget« in outer environment

1.  The distance between cursor and target is called the **controlled variable**.

2.  The value at which the controlled variable is maintained is called the **reference value**.

I assume that with »reference value« you imagine »target position« arround which cusor is »varying« and so you control the »distance« between »cursor« and »reference value«. But I think that even in this case you don’t control »distance« as then any »distance« would do, but you control »cursor« to be as much as possbile near to the »target« or on the target. If cursor is on the target there is no »distance«. So I suppose you are controlling »cursor on the target«.

I don’t know exactly what you wanted to prove, but from demo we can conclude that you are insinuating that there is »controlloed variable« in environment which you called »distance« and you see some value in environment which is called »reference value«. It’s wrong from PCT view. There is no »controlled variable« in outer enviroment and there are no references in outer environment of the system in PCT.

References are inside the system not utside. So it is perception of the cursor that is »closing to« or »departing« from the »reference value« (inside the system) what is called »control of perception«. And the only controlled variable is »perceptual signal«.

This is also what Rupert told you.

RY earlier : Sure, a perceptual signal (q.i*g) may correspond to, or be a function of, variable aspects of the environment (q.i) but it is the perceptual signal that is controlled not the variable aspects of the environment.

But I don’t see anything in your demo that could direct to »fact that behavior is control« unless you wanted to conclude that »controlled variable« in environment is controlled »by controlled behavior«.

So your demo could be describing »controlled variable« in outer environment which is by your oppinon controlled by moving a mouse with controlled moves of your hand. It’s not clear what you wanted to prove. But if you wanted to prove that »behavior (output) is controlled« with your hands movement »muscle tension« then then this is RCt or pure selfregulation (Carver).

Bill already proved that muscle tension itself can’t be controlled. There is no control of behavior in PCT. That’s not how PCT function. The mouse is moved with »Control of Perception«.

Control is done in inner environment… through effects of action to outer ennvironment not with »control of limbs«.

CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

HB : So there couldn’t be any control in outer environment and no »controlled variable« called »distance«.

Bill P (LCS III) : Negative feedback control as used in PCT can be summed up very quckly. It involves continuously perciving the current state of whatever is to be controlled, continuously comparing that perception with the intended state, and continuously acting to reduce the difference as close to zero as possible.

HB : Bills’ definition as I showed you many times has nothing to do with something cotnrolled outside, specialy not the »distance«. Maybe »Perception of distance«. From point of Bills’ definitions of control it seems that you invennted new theory (RCT).

You invented wrong theoretical background and wrong »control loop«, where »behavior is controlled« not perception. With your »mouse experiment« you didn’t prove that »Behavior is control«, but you proved that you used wrong theoretcial background for experiment. You didn’t use PCT.

If I would make interpretation of »tracking experiment« as you did I would use interpretation of PCT so it would look something like this :

Output function could represent the means by which system do changes in it’s environment. It includes »perception of hand holding a mouse«. Muscles »represent« moving perception of arm and hand (and mouse) caused by some neural network which is producing difference between the actual and desired perception of the cursor (arm and mouse). So in this model »error« (difference between actual and desired perception) is »converted« into output quantity, as means by which perception is changed.

In the input function a »physical input quantity« is converted into neural perceptual signal. In the output function a neural signal is converted into a physical output quantity which affect environment.

HB : So whatever you were really doing in »tracking demo« was »test of RCT« and some »controlled variable« in environment which can’t be found in any PCT diagram. You simply invented test with RCT background for »proving« that »Behavior is control«. It’s not PCT test or demo. It’s RCT and thus wrong test.

Whatever you can do, you can control only your perception… You can’t »control behavior«. But you can use behavior as means for changing perception.

Moving mouse here and there with your hand is not a proof for »Control of behavior«…. Maybe to you, but to PCT and physiological expert oppinnion there is no »Control of muscle tension« and of course behavior. So you have to prove first that you can control moving hand and mouse with »controlling muscle tension« ???Â

RM : …and Bill’s “Introduction to Control Theory” tutorials (www.pct-labs.com/).

HB : I separated Bills evidences and theory from yours as they are different. You are all the time using Bill’s theory as shield for your nonsense RCT.

You have to prove that your RCT is in accordance with his PCT.

I think I exposed my oppinion to this »tutorials«. But here is once again :

Bill P (Introduction) : Control is the process by which an organism acts on the environment to make some aspect of it conform to an inner image, standard, or reference condition that the behaving system selects.

HB : Bill in the first sentence of »Introduction« explained what is PCT. It is proving that »Behavior is not control« but actions by which organism change it’s perception to »conform« to references which are produced inside organism. But that we already knew from Bills’ definitions of control. See bellow.

RM : Evidence for controlled perceptual variables

HB : What is »controlled perceptual variable« ??? Where did Bill use this term ??? It seems that you invented term which you are prooving in your demos. Sorry this terms has nothing to do with Bills’ PCT. Again you wanted to »hide« your RCT behind Bill and PCT.

RM : …is found in several of my demoos, but particularly the ones called “What is size” (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Size.html) and “Hierarchical behavior of perception” (www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Hierarchy.html) and in

HB : You created demos to prove existance of »controlled perceptual variable« ??? which is non-existant in PCT. It’s your imagination Rick. Maybe you can show us where Bill used »controlled perceptual variable« or PCV ???.

RM : ….Bill’s “Introductioon to Control Theory” tutorials (www.pct-labs.com/), particularly STEP H.

HB : How many times you intend to citate the same literature…¦. Look up… But speccially in STEP H Bill Powers explicitally emphassized :

Bill P (STEP H : Beyond tracking

Anything that can vary, that can be sensed, and that can be affected by action can be controlled.

HB : The main points of Bills PCT are here.

I want from you to show us your todays’ knowledge and understanding of PCT. And because you are not doing it (you are presenting RCT) I want you to prove what I’m asking you. In last years you wrote so many nonsense.Â

Whatever. You have to solve your problems about proving your RCT in our posts. It doesn’t matter what you wrote 30 years ago. It matters what you know today. And today you are confussed and you are mixing RCT with PCT and so on.

Here are some of your »flowers« :

1.   People produce different perceptual signals such as »q.i.« and »p«

2.   People »track« helicopters by moving along with moving helicopter in x and y axis… There musst be a »Third eye« for »z« dimenssion

3.   You don't want to explain your RCT through PCT diagram in LCS III. Worse you are avoiding it.

4.   You don't respect or even worse, we don't know whether you agree with Bills' and Mary Thesis about PCT. They keep writing that »Behavior is not control« and you keep saying that« Behavior is cotnrol«. So we know that you don't agree with their 1. thesis that it is »Perception that is controlled not behavior«. You are all the time proving that »Behavior is controlled« and PCT is proving that »Perception is controlled«..

So once again. Do you agree with Bills’ and Marys’ Thesis about PCT or not ?

1.   You don't respect Bills' »control« loop« and his definitions of control so you invented your own RCT »control loop« with your own defitnitions and terms.

2.   The perceptual signal is a theoretical variable…

3.   You admitted that you outdo yourself in stupidity in conversation with Rupert…

4.   Etc.

If you want some more I’ll find them…. But I think it’s enough of your nonsense and that yyou should think seriously abotu »switching« to PCT

We are talking about Bill’s whole legacy where PCT is clearly presented and we are talking about how your oppinion has to be aligned with his at least in major points.

One of the clear presentation that you undertsand PCT could be diagram LCS III. Can you show me how your demos work through diagram in LCS III ??? For example »baseball catch« ?

HB : I have enough of your childish playing behind computer. We need real »natural« evidences like Bill provided them through his whole work. I said already that Bill did changed his mind couple times. But mostly his work (at least in 90 %) shows PCT.

And your work in last years shows RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory) and great confussion.

RM: The evidence provided by these demos don’t “prove” anything about PCT;

HB : Right they don’t prove anything about PCT because they are made on wrong bases. Your demos and whatever you think that your computer technology can provide are useless because they are built on wrong theory and wrong RCT »control loop«.

Ricks’ Control loop :

1.   CONTROL : Keeping of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state, protected (defended) from disturbances.

2. OUTPUT FUNCTION : controlled effects (control of behavior) to outer environment so to keep some »controlled variable« in reference state

3.  FEED-BACK FUNCTION : »Control« of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state.

4.  INPUT FUNCTION : produce »Controlled Perceptual Variable« or »Controlled Perception«, the perceptual correlate of »controlled q.i.«

5.  COMPARATOR : ????

This is right control loop in PCT :

1.  CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

1.  OUTPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that converts the magnitude or state of a signal inside the system into a corresponding set of effects on the immediate environment of the system

the output function shown in it’s own box represents the meeans this system has for causing changes in it’s environment. Bill P (LCS III):

Bill P (LCS III):

1.  FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That's what feed-back means : it's an effect of a system's output on it's own input.

1.  INPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that receives  signals or stimuli from outside the system, and generates a perceptual signal that is some function of the received signals or stimuli.

1.  COMPARATOR : The portion of control system that computes the magnitude and direction of mismatch between perceptual and reference signal.

Do you see the difference ??? You work should be in accordance with Bills’ defitinitions of PCT not yours RCT.

RM : …science is inductiive, not deductive (like math) so it doesn’t involve proof.

HB : Which science you are talking about. Ricks’ science ???

Where did you see this definition of science ? You should look into vocabulary. I’ll pretend that I didn’t see the third biggerst nonsense in history of PCT. Are you reading what you are writing Rick ?

Science is mostly about observing, experimenting, statistical analyzing,  including other researches …etc… and some me conclusions are made which can be confirmed by others in similar conditions or not. Conclussions can be more or less wrong if theoretical background is weak. Science is also divided in different »fields« and use different methods of researching like quantitative and qualitative analysis, etc….

Nature is the final arbiter whether your insinuations about »demos« are right or not. And as far as I saw them, they are not. Bill provided too many evidences and you simply don’t integrate his PCT into your knowledge. Read B:CP again.

RM : But these demos, which I believe you have disparaged in the past, do provide compelling evidence that the meanings you derive from Powers’ words are often quite different than the meanings he intended to communicate. The demos can’t guarantee that you will get the meaning Bill intended.

HB : Right your demos can’t garantee that you Rick will get the »right« meaning of PCT. Physiological and other scientific evidences can garantee to me that Bill was telling the truth, as much as it can be from perceptions of experts,

RM : But I think they can help enormously.

HB : Yes physiological evidences can help enormously. Demos are useless if they are build on wrong assumptions.Demos can be made to suit person who is making them. So they have to be tested against nature for final conclussions. And we already saw how your RCT works in practice.

I think Rick that your biggest problem is that you always try with phylosophy and to much imagination which actually is exploring Bruce N.

Maybe he can help you. Imagination seems not to be good way of proving things but it’s probably good thing for new ideas and creativity. It can work sometimes, but usually produces ideas which has to be worked out. Sooner or later you have to show »real« proofs obtained in nature. You’ll have to sit someday behind the wheel, play »baseball«, walk…etc… in PCT manner. Go Go try your »demos« in reality whether they work or not. Your imaginational »baseball catch« doesn’t work. You are »walking« wrong, and you are »driving« wrong, You can’t do this activity with »controlled variable« in environment.

Boris

Regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Dear Eetu,

···

(Home again and I can comment between the original message. During summer I will post less and irregularly.)

HB : The same for me !!!

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.01.1040)]

RM: I am certainly willing to be shown that I am wrong.
Are you?

EP: Oh yes, it was only way to learn PCT. Reading B:CP showed that I had modelled action very defectively. Then Martin, Boris and many others – also you – helped me to seesee that I had got something wrong from my reading.

Isn’t it always so?

(EP: Nice sheepdog demo!)

RM: You are right, Eetu, that in the CSGNet debates that have happened since Bill passed away I just haven’t been convinced that I was wrong.
That’s because words alone don’t do it for me. One of the reasons I was attracted to PCT-- possibly the main reason – is that Powers demonstrated what he said with clear, easy to understand empirical tests and computer (or mathematical)
models (see the Experimental Methods chapter of B:CP).

EP: OK, now I understand better. This somewhat reminds me of some old stories where the one challenged to duel may select the weapons
😊 . For you words are only for elegant prose? I disagree. The most fundamental questions are answered with words. I mean logic. Of course it can formalized
and expressed by letters and logical symbols, but basically also by words. Behind every empirical or mathematical model there is some logic. The core point of logic is consistency. For me the fundamental demand for both scientific and practical ethics is that
we use our words consistently (no matter if it leads to inelegant prose). Only if this demand is fulfilled there can be any reason to appeal empirical, mathematical or computer models and methods.

RM: If you (or anyone else) could come up with such demonstrations of your claims abou t PCT – claims with which I disagree – then I might be convinced that I am wrong.
Off the top of my head, here are some of the claims with which I have disagreed that I could be shown to be wrong about by appropriate empirical tests and/or computer/mathematical models:

1. Control of behavior is impossible

2. A mass-spring system does something like controlling.

3. There is no conflict involved when a person applies a disturbance to a controlled variable either to do the TCV or to demonstrate control of that variable

4. Only a perception is controlled by a control system

5. Control of the environmental correlate of a controlled perception (the CEV) is a side effect of control of that perception

6. The power law tells us something about control of curved movement.

7. Control of a program perception has nothing to do with the idea that people are doing the TCV on each other when they communicate.

EP: Interesting list, but somewhat strangely ordered and formatted issues. I cannot say much about 2, 6 and 7. Mostly I agree with 4. The 1 seems like logical consequence of 4 and 5 seems like an explanation what is the
relationship between 4 and 1.

EP: Why I claim that a (living) control system controls only its perception, not behavior or CEV? The definition of control is “Achievement and maintenance of a preselected
perceptual state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances (B:PC, 296) [italics by me].� The whole PCT is based on this definition! According to it control means (by the concept of control
we mean) just and only the “achievement and maintenance of a preselected perceptual state in the controlling system�. What happens in and to the environment and behavior is something else than control. They can be causes or effects of control but not
control itself.

HB : I agree !

EP: Why behavior or CEV are not controlled? Because there are no preselected reference states for them. They are and change and are changed to what they must be for the controlling system’s perceptual state to be near
it’s preselected reference state – the only preselected state there is. WWhat you call a reference state of the CEV is not preselected but determined along the process. The cancelling of disturbances alone does not make control.

HB : I agree !

EP: If control system is not controlling the CEV or behavior, then what it is doing for them? Just for this concept (which is different concept from control) we need a word.

HB : I made a suggestion for what you are looking for. It’s a term used by Kent McClelland – stabilization. Can you seee my suggestion about term “stabilizationâ€? and comment it please.

EP : And guess what? I reread B:CP and there it was in Glossary:

“ADJUST: To affect in such a way as to achieve a preselected perceptual result (B:PC, 296).�

So a controlling system is adjusting the aspect of its environment when and because it is
controlling its perception of that aspect.

HB : No, dear Eetu. The control system is “affecting� the environment so that it suits inside control not “adjusting� .

See definition of control. If control is done inside the control system, perception is adjusted to references. You said it for yourself.

EP earlier : They are and change and are changed to what they must be for the controlling system’s perceptual state to be near it’s preselected reference state – the only preselected state there is.

HB : Maybe you should go for a short drive and observe what is happening, You’ll be mostly adjusting the perception of the
“front part of the car� with “imagined line� on the right side of the road�.

HB : Adjustment is term used to describe similar as “cancelâ€?, counteractâ€?, oppose… and sso on and it’s in close connection
to control which is happening inside the controlling system. You wrote it for yourself.

“ADJUST: To affect in such a way as to achieve a preselected perceptual result (B:PC, 296).�

HB : So it’s anyway describing the effects that help control inside control system not outside. Outside are just “effects
of control� not “adjusted� effects. In definition of control is used term “cancel� the effects.

OUTPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that converts the magnitude or state of a signal inside the system into a corresponding set of effects on the immediate environment
of the system

HB : Output is not adjusting anything in environment. It’s just affecting it.

Bill P : FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the
controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

Control in organism is done through effects of action on immediate environment which also cancel the effects of disturbances. The “adjustment� is part of control inside organism not outside.

EP: As far as I understand, this kind of change of words does not affect or threaten your empirical-mathematical-computer research in any way.

HB : Of course it is. Rick is getting wrongly definition of control and so all his empirical-mathematical-computer research are mostly wrong. They are not PCT because his definition of control and
other parts of control loop are just opposite to PCT.

RCT (Ricks Control Theory) definition of control
loop

CONTROL : Keeping of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state, protected (defended) from disturbances.

OUTPUT FUNCTION : controlled effects (control of behavior) to outer environment so to keep some »controlled variable« in reference state

FEED-BACK FUNCTION : »Control« of some »aspect of outer environment« in reference state.

INPUT FUNCTION : produce »Controlled Perceptual Variable« or »Controlled Perception«, the perceptual correlate of »controlled q.i.«

COMPARATOR : ???

And Bills definitions :

OUTPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that converts the magnitude or state of a signal inside the system into a corresponding set of effects on the immediate environment of the system

:…the output functionn shown in it’s own box represents the means this system has for causing changes in it’s environment. Bill P (LCS III):

Bill P (LCS III):

FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s
an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

INPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that receives signals or stimuli from outside the system, and generates a perceptual signal that is some function of the received signals or stimuli.

COMPARATOR : The portion of control system that computes the magnitude and direction of mismatch between perceptual and reference signal.

HB : Do you see the difference in logic.

EP : It just would make your logic more consistent and lessen the confusions of your readers. Hopefully?

HB : Ricks understanding is making a lot of confussion because it’s just opposite to PCT logic.
Ricks control loop is controlling outside, and PCT control loop is controlling inside.

Best,

Boris

Best

Eetu

Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

RM: I imagine there are more but that will do for now. I believe all of these claims are inconsistent
with empirical fact and/or the PCT model of purposeful behavior. But, again, an empirical demonstration or computer.mathematical model could show that I am wrong. And I would accept that, just as I accepted the fact that I was wrong about
behavior being controllable even when the system’s reference specification for the controlled variable is autonomously varying.

Best regards

Rick

Eetu

30.6.2017 9.00 ip. Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com kirjoitti:

[From Rick Marken (2017.06.30.1100)]

Dag Forssell (2017.06.29.2245 )

DF: I have to say that I appreciate your tone and effort. Comments inserted.

RM: And I have to say that I’m kind of sorry I brought the whole thing up.As I recall, this all started (for me, at least) when Bruce Nevin said that the TCV always involved conflict. At first I said it didn’t but then realized
that it did, at least for a moment, when the disturbance used in the TCV is applied by a person. This struck me as an interesting implication of PCT – one that I had never made before – but not a terribly important one since disturbances are rarely applied
by the person doing research involving the TCV and, as far as I know, no one on CSGNet is doing research involving the TCV anyway.

RM: Nevertheless, I thought that analyzing situations like the TCV and Dag-Bill demonstration, where one control system causes a transient disturbance to a variable controlled by another person, would be a good exercise
in seeing how to apply the PCT model. But the resistance to my analysis has been so intense that I think, given it’s lack of practical importance, I’ll just drop it and look forward to the next thing about PCT that everyone can disagree with me about.

RM: I am rather amazed by how much PCT I have apparently forgotten since Bill passed away. Or maybe I just never really got it and Bill was too polite to mention it to me. Ah well, there’s always the Trout Quintet.

Best

Rick

[From Rick Marken (2017.06.29.1120)]

Dag Forssell (2017.06.28.11:30 PDT)

DF: I think your most confusing and internally inconsistent paragraph below would never have been written if you would study and focus on the physics involved instead of impenetrable and too often erroneous math.

RM: This is an improvement over saying it’s “utter nonsense”. But I think that, rather than insulting my physics and math skills, it would improve the tone of the discussion if you would just say what was confusing and internally inconsistent about my analysis,
how math got in the way and why an understanding of physics would have helped.Â

RM: But let try explaining my analysis again, throwing in what little I know about the physics of the situation, and maybe you can tell me exactly where the confusion and inconsistencies are. I think the main bone of contention is whether or not there was
a conflict involved when Bill pulled down on the steering wheel. I believe there was a conflict, if only for a brief moment; I think you believe there was not.

Correct :slight_smile:

I think there was a conflict because at the instant Bill applied the pull he and you had different references for the same controlled variable: the position of the wheel.

I’ll grant you that I had a reference for the position of the steering wheel as my way of keeping the car in its lane, but I do not agree that Bill had a reference for the position of the steering wheel. Somehow, your notion that the model makes this necessary
is to put the model ahead of reality.

I hope you’ll agree that when this happens – when two control systems have different references for the same controlled variable – no matter how long it lasts, there is a conflict.Â

RM: You say there was no conflict because “Bill set a reference for applying a force to the steering wheel. All he wanted was to apply a disturbance”. My argument is that Bill wanted to do more than just apply a disturbance. I believe he wanted to apply the
disturbance in order to demonstrate how well you were controlling. As you said in an earlier post:

Again correct. But your understanding of the model requires you to add a non-existent reference to Bill, accusing him of wanting to turn the wheel to another position. You deny that a human being can apply a force; tense some muscle, without an expectation
that of movement, much less a specific movement.

Dag Forssell (2016.06.27.0920 PDT)Â

DF: Bill asked politely if he might demonstrate a good control system to me.

RM: A good control system controls some variable – the controlled variable – and controls it well, keeping it in a reference state, protected from disturbance. So demonstrating a good control system means demonstrating a control system that controls some
variable well.

That would be myself.

He was demonstrating this by applying an abrupt and strong disturbance to that variable and showing that the disturbance had little effect.

Where do you get “abrupt and strong”? Especially the abrupt part?

Since the disturbance was a pull force applied to the steering wheel and since physics tells me that, without a driver present, such a pull would have moved the wheel quite a bit, I conclude that Bill was demonstrating control
of steering wheel position by showing that the pull had little effect on steering wheel position; that steering wheel position was protected from that disturbance.

Fine.

RM: In order to apply a disturbance to steering wheel position Bill had to apply a force to the steering wheel that would change its position if there were not a good control system present. In order to do this, Bill had
to control for producing a force that would change the position of the steering wheel if the driver were not present;

Yes indeed. Bill had to control for producing a force.

that is, Bill had to control for changing the position of the steering wheel.

Balls. He had only to apply force. Your deduction does not follow from the physics of the situation. It may follow from your idea of some hierarchy that exists only in your imagination.

This means Bill had to have set a reference specification for the steering wheel being in a different position than it was currently in.

He did not.

Indeed, he apparently set a reference specification for the steering wheel being in a very different position since he apparently pulled down on the wheel with a force that would have resulted in a large change in position
if a good control system were not present to keep that from happening.

My, his reference signal is devious. Large change in position is what he wanted?

RM: So at the instant Bill pulled down on the wheel, he and Dag had different references for the same controlled variable.

We did not. Position and force are not the same thing. Just like space and time are not the same thing.

So at that instant there was a conflict. Of course, Bill abandoned his control of wheel position almost immediately so the conflict lasted only a moment and would not even be noticed, which is why it might not seem like
there was a conflict. But there was, and the conflict would have “presented” rather dramatically if Bill had maintained his reference for the changed position of the wheel.

Luckily, he did not have such a reference in the first place.

In that case, Bill and Dag would have eventually been pushing with equal and opposite force on the wheel so Dag’s control of the wheel would have been lost, making it impossible for him to vary wheel position to compensate
for disturbances to the position of wheel and, hence, to the position of the car on the road; control of the position of the car on the raod would also have been lost and we wouldn’t be having this discussion today.

Well, we do because there was no conflict ever. You are making it up, sir!

RM: One last point. I conclude that the good control system Bill was demonstrating was the one controlling steering wheel position and not position of the car in its lane. This is because the disturbance was applied directly
to wheel position.

Fair enough.

Of course, failure to have good control of wheel position would have consequences on the car’s position in the lane (as noted above); but control of the position of the car in its lane was not directly demonstrated because
a disturbance was not directly applied to that variable. Indeed, it would have been impossible for Bill to apply a disturbance to demonstrate control of car position because this would have required applying a disturbance, such as a lateral force on the car
itself, that directly affected this variable and even Bill was incapable of doing that.Â

Best

Rick

RM: Think about how you would model this situation using PCT. I think you would find that you would have to include in the model of Bill a control system controlling for steering wheel position.

I don’t think so. Why don’t you lay out the physics of that?

The model might, indeed, include a system controlling applied force but I think that system would serve as the means used by the steering wheel position control system to bring (or try to bring) the position of the steering
wheel to the specified reference state. So thinking in terms of models we can see that Bill may, indeed, have set a reference for applying a particular force, but he did this as the means of bringing steering wheel position to a new reference state – that
is, he applied the force as the means of “disturbing” steering wheel position.

More nonsense. You do have a way of making the simple very complicated indeed.

Over and out.

Best, Dag

Richard S. Marken

--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Richard S. Marken

Thank you Kent for good

Eetu
McClelland, Kent <<mailto:MCCLEL@Grinnell.EDU>MCCLEL@Grinnell.EDU> kirjoitti 6.7.2017 kello 1.45:

From Kent McClelland (2017.07.05)
It’s an interesting question how best to describe what happens to the portions of the physical environment that correspond to a controlled perceptual variable and which are affected by the physical actions of the person controlling the perception.
I’ve generally used the term “stabilized”, because, unlike Rick Marken, I think that in a perceptual control process the term “controlled” should be reserved for what happens to the perceptual variable and not to the corresponding environmental variable. Furthermore, it seems to me that what most often happens to the environmental variable is that the person tries to eliminate unwanted variation in the physical variable in order to keep the perception controlled. Thus, the physical actions to counteract disturbances that affect the perceptual variable tend also to reduce the variation in the physical variable, which sounds like stabilization to me. (Of course, Rick would prefer to call it control.)
However, things may be not quite so simple as I’ve just described. As Eetu notes in his post, the stabilization of the physical variable may sometimes look to an observer like destabilization, as when the perception controlled is one of physical movement, and the error eliminated in the process of controlling the perception is the difference between the intended movement and the perceived movement (say, of feet walking or fingers writing, as Eetu suggests). I guess I would describe this kind of effect as the “dynamic stabilization” of a pattern of movement. Or, as Eetu suggests, you might call it a matter of “adjustment” of the physical environment, including one’s own physical body, in the service of controlling one’s perceptions.
Things get even more complicated when you consider actions that are intentionally violent. In everyday life we are always, of course, controlling perceptions at many different perceptual levels all at once. When there is physical stability—that is, stability of the parts of the environment that correspond to our low-level perceptions—it’s generally useful to us for controlling our higher-level perceptions. Extreme variations in heat or cold, for example, as is happening outside on this hot day in Iowa, it make it hard for a person to get anything else done. Luckily, I’m still able to pursue my higher-level goals today in spite of the heat, because I an fortunate to have a stabilized physical environment inside my house, with the air conditioner chugging away, making it possible for me to do more today than just try to stay physically cool. My point is that stability in the physical variables that correspond to our lower-level perceptions gives us a solid platform, as it were, for controlling our higher-level perceptions.
Getting back to violence: We describe actions as violent when one person intentionally destabilizes the environmental variables that correspond to another person’s controlled perceptions. The most extreme kind of violence, of course, is destruction of the other person’s physical body by killing the person, immediately ending the victim's perceptual control of anything at all. But when a person beats another person up or vandalizes the other person’s home, we also describe that as violence. In all of such cases of violence, the intention of the perpetrator is not to stabilize some portion of the physical environment but to damage or destroy it, making it unusable by the victim to control the perceptions that had previously been supported by that aspect of the physical environment. Perpetrators of violence are apparently able to control higher-level perceptions of their own by means of actions that inflict severe disturbances on the physical environment.
In violent actions, then, “stabilization” doesn’t quite describe what’s going on. “Adjustment” also seems a little tame for it. Other words I’ve sometimes used to describe what is happening, such as “modification” or “manipulation” of the environment, may also be inadequate. To use the word “control” seems even more far-fetched to me, when we’re describing what happens to an environmental variable corresponding to a perpetrator’s perceptual variable. The perpetrator is intentionally messing things up!
Anyhow, I don’t think there’s a perfect PCT description for what happens to the corresponding environmental variable in every case, but I do think it’s important to pay attention to what is happening in a perceptual controller's environment as well as what is happening in the perceptual controller's head.
Kent

Dear Boris
Just a quick reply. I agree that stabilizing is often a good term. But there are at least two problems that Martin has noted. 1. All output does not stabilize but rather destabilize, like feet in walking or fingers in writing. 2. Also stabilizing like control mainly takes place inside as stabilizing the relationship between perceptions and error.
If you think that adjusting is too much a synonym for control then I have to contend myself just to "affecting".

Eetu

Boris Hartman <<mailto:boris.hartman@masicom.net>boris.hartman@masicom.net> kirjoitti 5.7.2017 kello 14.26:

Dear Eetu,

To: <mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: VS: Conflict (was ... long live William T. Powers

···

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:26 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen <<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi> wrote:

From: Eetu Pikkarainen [<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi]

[snip]

Good considerations Kent, thanks. There is always the internal stabilization (control) and usually also external connected to higher levels of perceptual hierarchy even if in the lower levels the effects were destabilizing or dynamic?

This connects well to the central categories of nature and culture in Greimassian semiotic theory. The latter is stable and the previous violent.

Eetu

···

McClelland, Kent MCCLEL@Grinnell.EDU kirjoitti 6.7.2017 kello 1.45:

From Kent McClelland (2017.07.05)

re [Eetu Pikkarainen 2017-07-04] and Boris Hartman’ s
reply on 2017.07.05

It’s an interesting question how best to describe what happens to the portions of the physical environment that correspond
to a controlled perceptual variable and which are affected by the physical actions of the person controlling the perception.

I’ve generally used the term “stabilized”, because, unlike Rick Marken, I think that in a perceptual control process the term “controlled” should be reserved for
what happens to the perceptual variable and not to the corresponding environmental variable. Furthermore, it seems to me that what most often happens to the environmental variable is that the person tries to eliminate unwanted variation in the physical variable
in order to keep the perception controlled. Thus, the physical actions to counteract disturbances that affect the perceptual variable tend also to reduce the variation in the physical variable, which sounds like stabilization to me. (Of course, Rick would
prefer to call it control.)

However, things may be not quite so simple as I’ve just described. As Eetu notes in his post, the stabilization of the physical variable may sometimes look to an
observer like destabilization, as when the perception controlled is one of physical movement, and the error eliminated in the process of controlling the perception is the difference between the intended movement and the perceived movement (say, of feet walking
or fingers writing, as Eetu suggests). I guess I would describe this kind of effect as
the “dynamic stabilization” of a pattern of movement. Or, as Eetu suggests, you might call it a matter of “adjustment” of the physical environment, including one’s own physical body, in the service of controlling one’s perceptions.

Things get even more complicated when you consider actions that are intentionally violent. In everyday life we are always, of course, controlling perceptions at
many different perceptual levels all at once. When there is physical stability—that is, stability of the parts of the environment that correspond to our low-level perceptions—it’s generally useful to us for controlling our higher-level perceptions. Extreme
variations in heat or cold, for example, as is happening outside on this hot day in Iowa, it make it hard for a person to get anything else done. Luckily, I’m still able to
pursue my higher-level goals today in spite of the heat, because I an fortunate
to have a stabilized physical environment inside my house, with the air conditioner chugging away, making it possible for me to do more today than just try to stay physically
cool. My point is that stability in the physical variables that correspond to our lower-level perceptions gives us a solid platform, as it were, for controlling our higher-level perceptions.

Getting back to violence: We describe actions as violent when one person intentionally destabilizes the environmental variables that correspond to another person’s
controlled perceptions. The most extreme kind of violence, of course, is destruction of the other person’s physical body by killing the person, immediately ending the victim’s perceptual control of anything at all. But when a person beats another person up
or vandalizes the other person’s home, we also describe that as violence. In all of such cases of violence, the intention of the perpetrator is not to stabilize some portion of the physical environment but to damage or destroy it, making it unusable by the
victim to control the perceptions that had previously been supported by that aspect of the physical environment. Perpetrators of violence are apparently able to control higher-level perceptions of their own by means of actions that inflict severe disturbances
on the physical environment.

In violent actions, then, “stabilization” doesn’t quite describe what’s going on. “Adjustment” also seems a little tame for it. Other words I’ve sometimes used to
describe what is happening, such as “modification” or “manipulation” of the environment, may also be inadequate. To use the word “control” seems even more far-fetched to me, when we’re describing what happens to an environmental variable corresponding to a
perpetrator’s perceptual variable. The perpetrator is intentionally messing things up!

Anyhow, I don’t think there’s a perfect PCT description for what happens to the corresponding environmental variable in every case, but I do think it’s important
to pay attention to what is happening in a perceptual controller’s environment as well as what is happening in the perceptual controller’s head.

Kent

Dear Boris

Just a quick reply. I agree that stabilizing is often a good term. But there are at least two problems that Martin has noted. 1. All output does not stabilize but rather destabilize, like feet in walking or fingers in writing. 2. Also stabilizing like control
mainly takes place inside as stabilizing the relationship between perceptions and error.

If you think that adjusting is too much a synonym for control then I have to contend myself just to “affecting”.

Eetu

Dear Eetu,

[snip]

from Kent McClelland (2017.07.05)
It’s an interesting question how best to describe what happens to the portions of the physical environment that correspond to a controlled perceptual variable and which are affected by the physical actions of the person controlling the perception.
I’ve generally used the term “stabilized�, because, unlike Rick Marken, I think that in a perceptual control process the term “controlled� should be reserved for what happens to the perceptual variable and not to the corresponding environmental variable. Furthermore, it seems to me that what most often happens to the environmental variable is that the person tries to eliminate unwanted variation in the physical variable in order to keep the perception controlled. Thus, the physical actions to counteract disturbances that affect the perceptual variable tend also to reduce the variation in the physical variable, which sounds like stabilization to me. (Of course, Rick would prefer to call it control.)
However, things may be not quite so simple as I’ve just described. As Eetu notes in his post, the stabilization of the physical variable may sometimes look to an observer like destabilization, as when the perception controlled is one of physical movement, and the error eliminated in the process of controlling the perception is the difference between the intended movement and the perceived movement (say, of feet walking or fingers writing, as Eetu suggests). I guess I would describe this kind of effect as the “dynamic stabilization� of a pattern of movement. Or, as Eetu suggests, you might call it a matter of “adjustment� of the physical environment, including one’s own physical body, in the service of controlling one’s perceptions.
Things get even more complicated when you consider actions that are intentionally violent. In everyday life we are always, of course, controlling perceptions at many different perceptual levels all at once. When there is physical stability—that iss, stability of the parts of the environment that correspond to our low-level perceptions—it’s generally useful to us for controlling our higher-level perceptions. Extreme variations in heat or cold, for example, as is happening outside on this hot day in Iowa, it make it hard for a person to get anything else done. Luckily, I’m still able to pursue my higher-level goals today in spite of the heat, because I an fortunate to have a stabilized physical environment inside my house, with the air conditioner chugging away, making it possible for me to do more today than just try to stay physically cool. My point is that stability in the physical variables that correspond to our lower-level perceptions gives us a solid platform, as it were, for controlling our higher-level perceptions.
Getting back to violence: We describe actions as violent when one person intentionally destabilizes the environmental variables that correspond to another person’s controlled perceptions. The most extreme kind of violence, of course, is destruction of the other person’s physical body by killing the person, immediately ending the victim's perceptual control of anything at all. But when a person beats another person up or vandalizes the other person’s home, we also describe that as violence. In all of such cases of violence, the intention of the perpetrator is not to stabilize some portion of the physical environment but to damage or destroy it, making it unusable by the victim to control the perceptions that had previously been supported by that aspect of the physical environment. Perpetrators of violence are apparently able to control higher-level perceptions of their own by means of actions that inflict severe disturbances on the physical environment.
In violent actions, then, “stabilization� doesn’t quite describe what’s going on. “Adjustment� also seems a little tame for it. Other words I’ve sometimes used to describe what is happening, such as “modification� or “manipulation� of the environment, may also be inadequate. To use the word “control� seems even more far-fetched to me, when we’re describing what happens to an environmental variable corresponding to a perpetrator’s perceptual variable. The perpetrator is intentionally messing things up!
Anyhow, I don’t think there’s a perfect PCT description for what happens to the corresponding environmental variable in every case, but I do think it’s important to pay attention to what is happening in a perceptual controller's environment as well as what is happening in the perceptual controller's head.
Kent

Dear Boris
If you think that adjusting is too much a synonym for control then I have to contend myself just to "affecting".

Eetu

Boris Hartman <<mailto:boris.hartman@masicom.net>boris.hartman@masicom.net> kirjoitti 5.7.2017 kello 14.26:

Dear Eetu,

To: <mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: VS: Conflict (was ... long live William T. Powers

···

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:26 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen <<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi> wrote:

From: Eetu Pikkarainen [<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi]

[snip]

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.07.1225)]

···

Kent McClelland (2017.07.05) –

re [Eetu Pikkarainen 2017-07-04] and Boris Hartman’ s
reply on 2017.07.05

KM: I’ve generally used the term “stabilized�, because, unlike Rick Marken, I think that in a perceptual control process the term “controlled� should be reserved for
what happens to the perceptual variable and not to the corresponding environmental variable. Furthermore, it seems to me that what most often happens to the environmental variable is that the person tries to eliminate unwanted variation in the physical variable
in order to keep the perception controlled. Thus, the physical actions to counteract disturbances that affect the perceptual variable tend also to reduce the variation in the physical variable, which sounds like stabilization to me. (Of course, Rick would
prefer to call it control.)

RM: I prefer to use the term “control” to describe what is happening to both the perceptual variable and the physical (environmental) correlate of the variable in a control process. For two reasons. First, because the technical meaning of control applies to what is happening to both variables: both are being brought to and maintained in reference states, protected from disturbance. And second, because the aspect of the environment that is being controlled – the controlled variable or controlled quantity – is what we actually see being controlled. It’s this observation that leads us to an explanation in terms of control theory, which says that the observed control is achieved by a system that controls a perceptual representation of the variable being controlled. There is no need for two different words to describe what is going on with the controlled variable and controlled perception. One word will do: “control”.Â

Best

Rick

Â

However, things may be not quite so simple as I’ve just described. As Eetu notes in his post, the stabilization of the physical variable may sometimes look to an
observer like destabilization, as when the perception controlled is one of physical movement, and the error eliminated in the process of controlling the perception is the difference between the intended movement and the perceived movement (say, of feet walking
or fingers writing, as Eetu suggests). I guess I would describe this kind of effect as
the “dynamic stabilizationâ€? of a pattern of movement. Or, as Eetu suggests, you might call it a matter of “adjustmentâ€? of the physical environment, including one’s own physical body, in the service of controlling one’s perceptions.Â

Things get even more complicated when you consider actions that are intentionally violent. In everyday life we are always, of course, controlling perceptions at
many different perceptual levels all at once. When there is physical stability—that is, stability of the parts of the environment that corresspond to our low-level perceptions—it’s generally usefuul to us for controlling our higher-level perceptions. Extreme
variations in heat or cold, for example, as is happening outside on this hot day in Iowa, it make it hard for a person to get anything else done. Luckily, I’m still able to
pursue my higher-level goals  today in spite of the heat, because I an fortunate
to have  a stabilized physical environment inside my house, with the air conditioner chugging away, making it possible for me to do more today than just try to stay physically
cool. My point is that stability in the physical variables that correspond to our lower-level perceptions gives us a solid platform, as it were, for controlling our higher-level perceptions.Â

Getting back to violence: We describe actions as violent when one person intentionally destabilizes the environmental variables that correspond to another person’s
controlled perceptions. The most extreme kind of violence, of course, is destruction of the other person’s physical body by killing the person, immediately ending the victim’s perceptual control of anything at all. But when a person beats another person up
or vandalizes the other person’s home, we also describe that as violence. In all of such cases of violence, the intention of the perpetrator is not to stabilize some portion of the physical environment but to damage or destroy it, making it unusable by the
victim to control the perceptions that had previously been supported by that aspect of the physical environment. Perpetrators of violence are apparently able to control higher-level perceptions of their own by means of actions that inflict severe disturbances
on the physical environment.Â

In violent actions, then, “stabilization� doesn’t quite describe what’s going on. “Adjustment� also seems a little tame for it. Other words I’ve sometimes used to
describe what is happening, such as “modification� or “manipulation� of the environment, may also be inadequate. To use the word “control� seems even more far-fetched to me, when we’re describing what happens to an environmental variable corresponding to a
perpetrator’s perceptual variable. The perpetrator is intentionally messing things up!Â

Anyhow, I don’t think there’s a perfect PCT description for what happens to the corresponding environmental variable in every case, but I do think it’s important
to pay attention to what is happening in a perceptual controller’s environment as well as what is happening in the perceptual controller’s head.

Kent

Dear BorisÂ

Just a quick reply. I agree that stabilizing is often a good term. But there are at least two problems that Martin has noted. 1. All output does not stabilize but rather destabilize, like feet in walking or fingers in writing. 2. Also stabilizing like control
mainly takes place inside as stabilizing the relationship between perceptions and error.Â

If you think that adjusting is too much a synonym for control then I have to contend myself just to “affecting”.Â

Eetu

Dear Eetu,

Â

**From:**Â Eetu Pikkarainen [mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi
**Sent:**Â Tuesday, July 04, 2017 9:50 PM
**To:**Â csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
**Subject:**Â VS: Conflict (was … long live William T. Powers

Â

[snip]

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.12.1045)]

···

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

BH:Â Rick you have no clue what is PCT. You don’t understand PCT anymore. You are out. And you were so good PCT thinker back in 2007. I think it’s better that you establish your own forum for RCT (Ricks’ Control Theory).

RM: I’m afraid I’ll be staying here on CSGNet. But I agree that people on CSGNet  seem to like your version of PCT better than mine. But I wonder why you think I went off the PCT tracks in 2007. My impression is that I held on pretty well until May of 2013. Perhaps you could point me to my posts to CSGNet during the period from January, 2007 to May, 2003 that were particularly non-PCT. and maybe you could also point me to the post from Bill that criticized my discussions of PCT in those posts.Â

RM: I didn’t publish that much on PCT in the period January, 2007 - May, 2013 but here’s the papers that I did manage to get published during that period:Â

x Marken, R. S. (2013) Taking Purpose into
Account in Experimental Psychology: Testing for Controlled Variables, Psychological Reports, 112, 184-201

Marken, R. S.
and Horth, B. (2011) When Causality Does Not Imply Correlation:More Spadework at the Foundations of
Scientific Psychology, Psychological
Reports
, 108, 1-12

x Marken, R. S. (2010) The Power Law: An
Example of a Behavioral Illusion?, Unpublished manuscript, http://www.mindreadings.com/BehavioralIllusion.pdf

x Marken,
R. S. (2009) You Say You Had a Revolution: Methodological Foundations of
Closed-Loop Psychology, *Review of General
Psychology,*13, 137-145

Marken, R. S. (2008) Perceptual
Control Theory, in I. B. Weiner & W. E. Craighead (Eds) Corsini’s Encyclopedia of Psychology, New York, NY:
Wiley

RM: The one’s marked with an x are ones that I know Bill reviewed (or worked on with me) and approved. Perhaps you could read them over and let me know all the incorrect things I said that Bill (and I) failed to catch. Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Rick Marken (2017.07.12.17150)]

···

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

RM: I’m afraid I’ll be staying here on CSGNet. But I agree that people on CSGNet  seem to like your version of PCT better than mine.

Â

HB : My version of PCT is backed up with Bills’ diagrams (specialy his latest in LCS III) and other citations. Your version of »PCT«, called RCT is not backed up with anything.

RM: Actually, my version of PCT, like Bill’s, is “backed up” with data and models.Â

HB: At least you could provide evidences for »Behavior is control« and »Controlled Perceptual Variable« although we know that you can’t. It’s because Bill proved opposite.

RM: Actually both Bill and I have provided considerable amounts of evidence, in the form of data and models, that behavior is control and that it is perceptual variables that are controlled. The evidence that “Behavior is control” for example, is provided (among other things) by my “Nature of Control” demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/BasicTrack.html) and Bill’s “Introduction to Control Theory” tutorials (www.pct-labs.com/). Evidence for controlled perceptual variables is found in several of my demos, but particularly the ones called “What is size” (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Size.html) and “Hierarchical behavior of perception” (www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Hierarchy.html) and in  Bill’s “Introduction to Control Theory” tutorials (www.pct-labs.com/), particularly STEP H.Â

RM: The evidence provided by these demos don’t “prove” anything about PCT; science is inductive, not deductive (like math) so it doesn’t involve proof. But these demos, which I believe you have disparaged in the past, do provide compelling evidence that the meanings you derive from Powers’ words are often quite different than the meanings he intended to communicate. The demos can’t guarantee that you will get the meaning Bill intended. But I think they can help enormously.

Regards

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ