Testing for ADHD

DW
Reuven Feuerstein developed the LEARNING POTENTIAL ASSESSMENT DEVICE. It changed the tester into a teacher, trying to assess how well the testee was able to benefit from instructional type helping interventions. He was led to this when given the job of assessing Jewish refugee children from N. Africa after WWII for potential placement in Israel's various school situations. He discovered that, no matter what IQ test he tried, almost all of them were quite grossly subnormal.

I mention this, because of my belief that when a kid comes in for ANY assesment related to the label that been pasted on him/her, you are dealing with a contaminated situation of unknown proportions. MDs know how difficult it is getting a realistic blood pressure reading from an anxious patient. I'm not suggesting that you forget your research. Rather, try as best as possible, to create a collaborative context for assessment situations.
good luck .... the importance of the research should keep you going

David Wolsk
Victoria, BC Canada (where my years of trying to reason with ADD parents and teachers has had very little success....... everyone is happy to blame brain abnormalities. I feel we need to add a TEACHING DISABILITIES category to diagnostic manuals.

ยทยทยท

At 21:25 05/12/97 -0500, David wrote:

By comparing the QEEG on and off the drug, we could find out if the
drug induced changes are consistent from person to person, and if so,
what are the changes.

I was thinking about trying out this one: Remember the game of pick up
sticks? I have used this situation in a play therapy situation. I
think it is very clinically rich. We could video tape a child playing
the game solo and then see if we couldn't identify what each child was
controlling. We might apply a set of rating scales to score the video
tapes based on ADHD characterstics: (a) impulsiveness, (b)
inattention, (c) motor activity, (d) organization in time, (e)
organization in space, etc..