Distance Consulting LLC

Be sure you measure what you want.

Be sure you want what you measure.

···

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 17, 2015 at 6:27:55 PM EDT
To: Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us
Subject: RE: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers – will be researched and corrected

Fred: There is not much I can do in the short-term. I will do what we can do – research the topic/issue/background, and based on the outcome of that work a new entry will get created f
or future use. This is a fairly standard process and procedure. Also, I do not know if the error is in the original 2008/2009 dictionary or if it got generated in the further refinement and development of the second edition – this also would be explored in the research on the entry. No correction or updating is possible until there would be a second printing of the second edition (in a year or two). I believe that psychologist should get credit for their work, and I would not want Bill Powers to be denied his credit. It will just take time to research and then correct the problem. I am sorry that the error in crediting the work occurred, and I can only say that it was viewed by probably 6-8 set of psychologists’ eyes who did not identify the error. No disregard for Bill Powers was intended, and the entry will be corrected. All the best, Gary

-----Original Message-----
Nickols [mailto:fred@nickols.us]
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:12 PM
To: VandenBos, Gary
Cc: CSGnet
Subject: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers

Gary:

My apologies if I sound overly familiar but all I have to go on is my copy of Rick Marken’s response. Please know that I view your response to Rick as wholly and entirely inadequate. Be assured that I will not rest until this oversight is loudly and publicly corrected. Among many other things Bill Powers was a fine human being and he does not deserve the dismissal inherent in your incoorrect attribution regarding control theory.

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Gary:

Thanks for your prompt, courteous and professional response. I will watch closely any future developments.

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

···

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 17, 2015, at 6:27 PM, VandenBos, Gary <gary@apa.org> wrote:

Fred: There is not much I can do in the short-term. I will do what we can do -- research the topic/issue/background, and based on the outcome of that work a new entry will get created for future use. This is a fairly standard process and procedure. Also, I do not know if the error is in the original 2008/2009 dictionary or if it got generated in the further refinement and development of the second edition -- this also would be explored in the research on the entry. No correction or updating is possible until there would be a second printing of the second edition (in a year or two). I believe that psychologist should get credit for their work, and I would not want Bill Powers to be denied his credit. It will just take time to research and then correct the problem. I am sorry that the error in crediting the work occurred, and I can only say that it was viewed by probably 6-8 set of psychologists' eyes who did not identify the error. No disregard for Bill Powers was intended, and the entry will be corrected. All the best, Gary

Gary:

My apologies if I sound overly familiar but all I have to go on is my copy of Rick Marken's response. Please know that I view your response to Rick as wholly and entirely inadequate. Be assured that I will not rest until this oversight is loudly and publicly corrected. Among many other things Bill Powers was a fine human being and he does not deserve the dismissal inherent in your incoorrect attribution regarding control theory.

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

[From Rick Marken (2015.03.17.1610)]

···

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Fred Nickols csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Gary:

Thanks for your prompt, courteous and professional response. I will watch closely any future developments.

RM: Nice going Fed. But I would like to monitor the situation. I would like to know whether the control theory entry to the 1st edition (if it exists) is the same as the 2nd.

RM: Maybe Richard Pfau could help out. Do you have the first edition Richard? If not can you get it. And does the dictionary give credit for the entries?

Best

Rick

On Mar 17, 2015, at 6:27 PM, VandenBos, Gary gary@apa.org wrote:

Fred: There is not much I can do in the short-term. I will do what we can do – research the topic/issue/background, and based on the outcome of that work a new entry will get created for future use. This is a fairly standard process and procedure. Also, I do not know if the error is in the original 2008/2009 dictionary or if it got generated in the further refinement and development of the second edition – this also would be explored in the research on the entry. No correction or updating is possible until there would be a second printing of the second edition (in a year or two). I believe that psychologist should get credit for their work, and I would not want Bill Powers to be denied his credit. It will just take time to research and then correct the problem. I am sorry that the error in crediting the work occurred, and I can only say that it was viewed by probably 6-8 set of psychologists’ eyes who did not identify the error. No disregard for Bill Powers was intended, and the entry will be corrected. All the best, Gary

Gary:

My apologies if I sound overly familiar but all I have to go on is my copy of Rick Marken’s response. Please know that I view your response to Rick as wholly and entirely inadequate. Be assured that I will not rest until this oversight is loudly and publicly corrected. Among many other things Bill Powers was a fine human being and he does not deserve the dismissal inherent in your incoorrect attribution regarding control theory.

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

Hi again everyone, just sent this email to Gary VandenBos…

···

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Fred Nickols csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Fred: There is not much I can do in the short-term. I will do what we can do – research the topic/issue/background, and based on the outcome of that work a new entry will get created for future use. This is a fairly standard process and procedure. Also, I do not know if the error is in the original 2008/2009 dictionary or if it got generated in the further refinement and development of the second edition – this also would be explored in the research on the entry. No correction or updating is possible until there would be a second printing of the second edition (in a year or two). I believe that psychologist should get credit for their work, and I would not want Bill Powers to be denied his credit. It will just take time to research and then correct the problem. I am sorry that the error in crediting the work occurred, and I can only say that it was viewed by probably 6-8 set of psychologists’ eyes who did not identify the error. No disregard for Bill Powers was intended, and the entry will be corrected. All the best, Gary

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Dr Warren Mansell
Reader in Clinical Psychology
School of Psychological Sciences
2nd Floor Zochonis Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Email: warren.mansell@manchester.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8589

The highly acclaimed therapy manual on A Transdiagnostic Approach to CBT using Method of Levels is available now.

Check www.pctweb.org for further information on Perceptual Control Theory

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

The highly acclaimed therapy manual on A Transdiagnostic Approach to CBT using Method of Levels is available now.

Hi Warren,

you deserve a medal. Great work. Keep on. I also wanted to write to Carver and Scheier, but since you did it, I’ll rest. J

Best,

Boris

···

From: Warren Mansell (wmansell@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) [mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 10:27 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Fwd: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers – will be researched and corrected

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers – will be researched and corrected
To: “VandenBos, Gary” gary@apa.org
Cc: Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com

Dear Gary (if I may),

I have received a copy of your email from Fred. It is marvellous that you are willing to correct this error and to put resources into doing so.

I took the liberty of talking to a number of my senior academic colleagues in the US and elsewhere (Professors Peter Totterdell, Peter Burke, Paschal Sheeran, Jeffrey Vancouver, Peter Burke, Pasco Fearon, Sergio Pellis, Constantine Sedikes, Doug Turkington, Tim Carey), and within 12 hours they replied to explain that they would support a request to make correct this error as soon as possible. Such is the feeling out there. I am putting together a list of signatories.

I have also contacted Charles Carver and Michael Scheier, who I am sure will want to correct the error too, as they have always appropriately cited Powers themselves. Somehow, the misaccreditation happened later on.

I would be very surprised if the research to find the source of control theory takes more than an hour or so considering that Carver and Scheier (1982) explain clearly that their theory is Powers (1973), and that book is widely available in university libraries. Powers was not a psychologist though - he was a medical physicist. Yet, even his first publication explaining the theory (actually the true original source) was in a psychology journal - Perceptual and Motor Skills - in 1960. This was coauthored with a psychologst.

For a quick research tool, see www.pctweb.org!

I very much look forward to hearing from you,

Warren

Gary:

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Gary:

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Thanks Boris. The editor has agree to do his research for a new entry within 3-4 weeks and implement it within the electronic version, children’s version and the next reprint. He has also agreed to consult me over the new entry - just because I asked. I will in turn consult CSGNet! Charles Carver has replied and looks willing to put across the correct version of control theory history, so watch this space…

Warren

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM, “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Hi Warren,

you deserve a medal. Great work. Keep on. I also wanted to write to Carver and Scheier, but since you did it, I’ll rest. J

Best,

Boris

From: Warren Mansell (wmansell@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) [mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 10:27 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Fwd: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers – will be researched and corrected

Subject: Re: The Wrong Being Done Bill Powers – will be researched and corrected

Dear Gary (if I may),

I have received a copy of your email from Fred. It is marvellous that you are willing to correct this error and to put resources into doing so.

I took the liberty of talking to a number of my senior academic colleagues in the US and elsewhere (Professors Peter Totterdell, Peter Burke, Paschal Sheeran, Jeffrey Vancouver, Peter Burke, Pasco Fearon, Sergio Pellis, Constantine Sedikes, Doug Turkington, Tim Carey), and within 12 hours they replied to explain that they would support a request to make correct this error as soon as possible. Such is the feeling out there. I am putting together a list of signatories.

I have also contacted Charles Carver and Michael Scheier, who I am sure will want to correct the error too, as they have always appropriately cited Powers themselves. Somehow, the misaccreditation happened later on.

I would be very surprised if the research to find the source of control theory takes more than an hour or so considering that Carver and Scheier (1982) explain clearly that their theory is Powers (1973), and that book is widely available in university libraries. Powers was not a psychologist though - he was a medical physicist. Yet, even his first publication explaining the theory (actually the true original source) was in a psychology journal - Perceptual and Motor Skills - in 1960. This was coauthored with a psychologst.

Warren

Gary:

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Gary:

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

I just wanted to convey my gratitude again to everyone for being so quick to jump on this issue! Dad would surely have a lump in his throat right now (as do I), to know how much support and respect you all have for him and his work. He would certainly have done the same for you.

best,

*barb

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Warren Mansell csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Dear Gary (if I may),

Warren

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Not a problem Barb, it comes with the territory! The next job is to see it through to a satisfactory conclusion…

Warren

···

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

I just wanted to convey my gratitude again to everyone for being so quick to jump on this issue! Dad would surely have a lump in his throat right now (as do I), to know how much support and respect you all have for him and his work. He would certainly have done the same for you.

best,

*barb

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Warren Mansell csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Dear Gary (if I may),

Warren

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Gary:

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

Sent from my iPad

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL