Voodoo Economy (was modeling economy)

[From Rick Marken (2011.07.26.2140)]

Bill Powers (2011.07.26.1030 MDT)--

ML: Thus, scarcity is one of the fundamental premises of economics. ...

BP: You seem to be saying that unless there is conflict, economics has nothing
to say about the way we provide goods and services for ourselves (that way
being �how I would define economics, but read on).

I just want to note that I said almost exactly the same thing in an
earlier post.

BP: My picture of an economic system is a lot of people working individually and
together to find or invent or produce or do things that are useful to
themselves and each other, and where possible to bring life closer to what
each person wants it to be.

I feel like I'm listening to myself. It's hard not to think of an
economy this way once you see the world through control theory
glasses.

BP: To construct a usable model of economics, we have to start from ground level
and build from there...

If anyone has an opening suggestion for starting the construction of a model
of an economic system, I will be very attentive. Here's a small building
block.

When a person buys a quantity of goods or services, the producer's
inventories of the goods or time available for services get depleted and the
person's store of goods or benefits from services increases by the same
amount. The person's store of money or credit shrinks by an amount equal to
the number units of the good or service obtained times the price per unit.
At the same time, the seller's store of money or credit is increased by the
same amount.

Now I think I see what you want to do. I was in the process of
developing a model like this. Maybe I'll get back to it.

See you soon.

Best

Rick

···

That is a description of the environment in which the environmental feedback
functions of the participating control systems exist. This model can be
elaborated if we take things into account like interest and depreciation and
use of consumables and so forth, but this is a starting point for
considering the main elements of a transaction. This much of the model can
be tested by positing specific transactions, so we can see what happens.

I have never seen a conventional economic model that has anything like these
elements in it.

Best,

Bill P.

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0434 MDT]

[From Bill Powers (2011.07.26.1732 MDT)]

Adam Matic 2011.07.26.

AM: You're right. We need models. I feel foolish for continuing arguments that I've seen lead nowhere, and I remember deciding not to (just) argue anymore. My apologies.

BP: Me, too. Such arguments are addictive but get nowhere.

AM: You mention an inventory of goods that changes states during a transaction. That seems self evident and as such - a good place to start a model. I'll try adding another small building block, or at least start a discussion about what the building block should be:

Prior to a transaction, an agreement would be made about the price. We should look at both control systems individually to establish what means "agreement about the price". From the perspective of each control system, an exact amount of something is given and an exact amount of something else is received. In order to have agreement, both controls systems must "feel" that the amount of thing received is more valuable than the amount of thing given, that is - some error in the system is reduced in the exchange. It's more important to have the thing received than the thing given (in exact amounts agreed upon).

BP: We can approach that agreement in a simpler way: the producer knows the price is OK with the purchaser when the purchaser buys the product. If the asking price is too high, the product will simply accumulate; inventory will increase, or not decrease. So the producer can start with a high price and start lowering it until inventory stops increasing or begins to decrease. Starting low would work, too: start low and keep raising the price until sales start falling off and inventory starts to build up. I don't know which would be the best strategy, so we could try them both.

If you have a monopoly starting at the high price and working your way down allows you to capture most of the surplus. If you had a market and just charged the market price then the consumers who valued the product more than that price would get the surplus.

-- Martin L

···

On 7/26/2011 6:54 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

This way of doing it doesn't require the producer and purchaser to interact face to face (or read each other's minds), so we can bypass a lot of psychologizing. In fact, we can just say that the producer controls for a constant or decreasing inventory -- constant but small would probably be best -- and does so by adjusting the price. The purchaser also controls for keeping an inventory of the good at some reference level, and also keeping the household money reserves at some level. If the good is something like food, it gets used up at some rate and the amount on hand falls below the reference level; that results in making more purchases, but if the money gets too low there can be a conflict...

A hypothetical example - person A has 3 units of money (inventory) more than needed (ref) and a high level of hunger. Person B lacks 4 units of money to ref. level and has 6 units of some food F in inventory more than ref level for that food. Person A offers 3 units of money for 5 units of food because that would decrease the error in both money and hunger systems (could this be checked using. an imagination switch?). Person B offers 5 units of food for 4 units of money. Eventually, they agree on 5 units of food for 3.5 units of money or something similar.

Any good?

Yes, bargaining also happens, and this is probably a good way to start modeling it if you want to include that. I wrote a Turbo Pascal program a long time ago which simulates bargaining; you might want to look at it. The first version was done in 1995, the second, BARGAIN2, shows a probably spurious date of 2005. Here are two links to my dropbox which should download the files to wherever your email downloads go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35647848/BARGAIN2.EXE

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35647848/BARGAIN2.PAS

The instructions and explanation are in the .Pas file, which you can read with Notepad. The program is a DOS program, which may or may not run on a PC. If it doesn't run, get "DosBox" (free) and use it.

DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

DosBox has versions for several different platforms, including Windows, MacOS X, and Linux.

I don't know how much like real bidding this model's behavior is. I intended to try real bidders to calibrate it, but never got around to it. Anybody is welcome to fiddle with it.

Best,

Bill P.

Best, Adam

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0438 MDT]

[From Rick Marken (2011.07.26.1020)]

Martin Lewitt (2011 July 25 2247 MDT)--

RM: So surplus is just a subjective concept?

ML: If it isn't valued it isn't a surplus.

So what's a surplus?

The surplus is the value you perceive over your cost. So voluntary exchanges produce surpluses for both parties, otherwise they wouldn't have make the exchange. People who pay about what something was worth to them, don't get much surplus. Those who would have still been buying higher on the demand curve at a higher price, get more surplus at the lower price. Most people are higher on the demand curve than the market price, because the price is at the margin.

RM: OK, so I produce a product for $500 (materials, labor, etc). But I feel like
it is worth $1,000. So I have a surplus of $500, in my mind. Is that it?

MT: A lot of people try to keep track of it for individual products. On the
supply/demand curves it is the area under the demand curve but above the
price.

This makes no sense to me. First of all, the demand curve is a theory,
not a fact. Second, the area under the curve looks to me like all the
goods that _would be consumed_ over the possible range of supply and
price values represented by the demand curve. But presumably there is,
at any point in time, just one supply/price combination in effect
which represents the what is actually consumed (in theory). So where
is the surplus? The total supply is consumed at the price indicated on
the demand curve. I see no surplus here.

Right, and if you would have consumed the good at a higher price but got to pay just the lower market price, you've got the surplus. Of course, the seller who produced the good for less than the market price, also thinks he got a surplus at the market price. It is only consumers who just come into the market at the market price and the producers who just barely cover costs at the market price and would have to leave the market at a lower price that get little or no surplus.

-- Martin

···

On 7/26/2011 11:20 AM, Richard Marken wrote:

RSM

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0448 MDT]

[From Bill Powers (2011.07.26.1030 MDT)]

Martin Lewitt 2011 July 25 2129 MDT --

ML: Good grief Bill! Evidently, you have so much hubris that you assume pre-existing work in economics has nothing to offer. Why haven't you educated yourself some. If a good is not scarce, then it is not a problem for economics. I've looked around and have found a good discussion of scarcity and am pasting it here:

Scarcity is simply the concept that human wants (not human needs) exceed the resources available that are necessary to produce the goods used to satisfy those wants.

Thus, scarcity is fundamentally the most important concept in economics, upon which all of the rest of the discipline rests. For without scarcity, no need for choice, either individual or collective, exists. One need not make a choice between buying a nice lunch at a restaurant and buying a new sweater because one will always have enough resources to purchase both goods. Since economics is the study of how people make choices, without scarcity there would exist no choice and, hence, no economics.

Thus, scarcity is one of the fundamental premises of economics. ...

BP: Splendid. It's my turn to say Good Grief. If that's really the basis of economics, I think we can understand why economics was unable to predict what just happened and is helpless when it comes to doing anything about it. It also explains why, in all my attempts to educate myself about economics, I have found practically no ideas I ended up believing (where you, apparently, believe everything economists publish, and wish me to believe it, too -- if that's what you mean by saying I should get an education).

You seem to be saying that unless there is conflict, economics has nothing to say about the way we provide goods and services for ourselves (that way being how I would define economics, but read on).

Exactly, if you can have anything you want without any effort or cost, there is no economics. Even if you are a one person economy there is conflict, everything you do has an opportunity cost, which is the other things you could be doing with your time and resources. It takes investment of effort, time and other resources to get resources.

It looks as if economics has been tailored to justify a society in which the wealthy and powerful take what they want by any means available, make and enforce laws (through purchase of lawmakers) that keep the rest from overthrowing the system that makes this possible, and requiring the non-wealthy and non-powerful to work to support the system and remain as close as feasible to the subsistence level of existence (got to have those scarcities). In other words, the status quo. No wonder we have revolutions -- that's the only remaining way for the underdog majority to get a life.

Economics is value neutral.

Unfortunately, when the underdogs arise and win, they are no better at running an economy than those they displaced. They don't have any workable theory of economics, either. Without a workable theory, we seem to be doomed to endless reorganization in random directions. Well, that will work eventually, but not soon enough to do me any good.

I guess you've produced everything you consume or use yourself.

My picture of an economic system is a lot of people working individually and together to find or invent or produce or do things that are useful to themselves and each other, and where possible to bring life closer to what each person wants it to be. There's nothing in that definition about property and owners and managers and distributors and customers and dependents and the poor or young or old or disabled.

You are right, it is value neutral. If you, with your values, value the poor, or young, or old or disabled, the helping them may be worth something to you. That would be your surplus.

Or about money and stocks and bonds and credit and sub-prime mortgages. All but the young, old and disabled are artifacts of a particular way of managing an economic system, invented on the fly as we make mistakes and try to correct them. There is nothing necessary, fundamental, or essential about any of them.

You've only just discovered nihilism?

They are the entities and rules of a game of Dungeons and Dragons we are inventing as we play the game, with no idea of what the consequences will be until they happen.

It's interesting that people can bring some kind of order into that sort of game, but of course nobody goes home after playing Dungeons and Dragons believing that that world, with its levels and passageways and doors and rules and magical appearances and disappearances, really exists. It seems real enough while you're playing it to involve hopes and disappointments and other strong emotions, but when it's over, the illusions dissolve and we go back to real life.

Except in economics, where the illusions persist even as we try to live real life.

Wait a second, I thought you had just realized that economics dealt with a world with no illusions. What are the illusions? Economics is value neutral.

To construct a usable model of economics, we have to start from ground level and build from there. Nothing gets into the model unless we can support it with observations, or unless we label it as an hypothesis to be tested. Before we use the model, everyone has to sign off on its organization, so we're all talking about the same thing. Before we believe it, every hypothesis has to pass the tests we apply, or be changed until it does. Tough requirements, dependable model. You can't have the second without the first.

It will be interesting to see what you mean. Since you seem to have a problem with value neutrality, are going to produce a model that will predict what you want to happen, or what will happen? The world is nonlinear, even with the best model, we may never have enough information about the initial state to make succesful predictions.

If anyone has an opening suggestion for starting the construction of a model of an economic system, I will be very attentive. Here's a small building block.

When a person buys a quantity of goods or services, the producer's inventories of the goods or time available for services get depleted and the person's store of goods or benefits from services increases by the same amount. The person's store of money or credit shrinks by an amount equal to the number units of the good or service obtained times the price per unit. At the same time, the seller's store of money or credit is increased by the same amount.

That sounds more like accounting than economics.

That is a description of the environment in which the environmental feedback functions of the participating control systems exist. This model can be elaborated if we take things into account like interest and depreciation and use of consumables and so forth, but this is a starting point for considering the main elements of a transaction. This much of the model can be tested by positing specific transactions, so we can see what happens.

If properly implemented, the books will balance.

I have never seen a conventional economic model that has anything like these elements in it.

You're kidding?

-- Martin L

···

On 7/26/2011 12:01 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

Best,

Bill P.

[Shannon Williams (2011.07.27.0700 CST)]

(Gavin Ritz 2011.07.27.11.54NZT)

I guess it�s very difficult to build a model of the economy because some
fundamental concepts have not been agreed not here or anywhere as far as I
can tell.

We *start* with the items that Bill lists because everyone agrees that
the *final* model must have these items. These are the items like
what you drew in your model of the individual when you diagramed Rick
getting a loan from Bill.

As the model grows, we add concepts that we all agree are needed in
order to explain or simulate different (agreed upon) perceptions. We
all perceive the economy as an exchange of some sort, so we start
there. Eventually maybe we add Energetic gradient etc as the *need*
arises in order that we perceive the model elements adequately
controlling their world in the same way that we perceive it in our
world.

Thanks,
Shannon

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/openthespillways

[From Bill Powers (2011.07.27.0647 MDT)]

I'll be pretty busy until after Sunday with the CSG conference.

Shannon Williams (2011.07.27.0700 CST) --

SW: We *start* with the items that Bill lists because everyone agrees that
the *final* model must have these items. These are the items like
what you drew in your model of the individual when you diagramed Rick
getting a loan from Bill.

As the model grows, we add concepts that we all agree are needed in
order to explain or simulate different (agreed upon) perceptions. We
all perceive the economy as an exchange of some sort, so we start
there. Eventually maybe we add Energetic gradient etc as the *need*
arises in order that we perceive the model elements adequately
controlling their world in the same way that we perceive it in our
world.

You understand me perfectly. The items I listed are subject to revision, as is everything in the model, if we find that necessary. Build and test, build and test.

Best,

Bill P.

···

Thanks,
Shannon

https://donate.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/openthespillways

[From Bill Powers (2011.07.27.0655 MDT)]

Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0448 MDT –

BP earlier: You seem to be
saying that unless there is conflict, economics has nothing to say about
the way we provide goods and services for ourselves (that way being
how I would define economics, but read on).

ML: Exactly, if you can have anything you want without any effort or
cost, there is no economics. Even if you are a one person economy
there is conflict, everything you do has an opportunity cost, which is
the other things you could be doing with your time and resources.
It takes investment of effort, time and other resources to get
resources.

BP: So getting everything with the least possible effort is sort of
sinful, is that it? So we should make it as hard as possible?

BP earlier: It looks as if
economics has been tailored to justify a society in which the wealthy and
powerful take what they want by any means available, make and enforce
laws (through purchase of lawmakers) that keep the rest from overthrowing
the system that makes this possible, and requiring the non-wealthy and
non-powerful to work to support the system and remain as close as
feasible to the subsistence level of existence (got to have those
scarcities). In other words, the status quo. No wonder we have
revolutions – that’s the only remaining way for the underdog majority to
get a life.

ML: Economics is value neutral.

BP: An interesting comment; I expected to be castigated as a wild-eyed
revolutionary, but evidently that wasn’t the main message you
got.
Yes, economics as it is today is value neutral. That’s because the
Economic Man of current economic theory doesn’t have any human values.
The choices are made by calculating the bottom line and picking the path
of highest return on investment, which is not what most people are
concerned about. In fact, the way Economic Man is defined is almost like
a confession by the people who subscribe to those ideas that this is how
they work and what they approve of as a way of conducting
one’s life. We can, of course, put agents with such properties into the
model to see how they get along with the rest of the agents who are
organized differently. But first we have to have a working
model.

BP earlier: Unfortunately, when
the underdogs arise and win, they are no better at running an economy
than those they displaced. They don’t have any workable theory of
economics, either. Without a workable theory, we seem to be doomed to
endless reorganization in random directions. Well, that will work
eventually, but not soon enough to do me any good.

ML: I guess you’ve produced everything you consume or use
yourself.

BP: Of course not. We do manage to get together to produce things for our
own consumption and that of others, and we use money for its great
convenience, and we get along because we are intentional, purposive
control systems, in spite of the contradictions, waste, and ignorance
that disturb the system. If we actually worked the way economists think
we work, the system would have collapsed long ago, but we can correct the
errors and put things back together pretty well after each inevitable
disaster. It’s the people who keep the economy going, not the other way
around.

BP earlier: My picture of an
economic system is a lot of people working individually and together to
find or invent or produce or do things that are useful to themselves and
each other, and where possible to bring life closer to what each person
wants it to be. There’s nothing in that definition about property and
owners and managers and distributors and customers and dependents and the
poor or young or old or disabled.

ML: You are right, it is value neutral. If you, with your values,
value the poor, or young, or old or disabled, the helping them may be
worth something to you. That would be your
surplus.

BP: It seems that you consider it very important to have a surplus from
every transaction, a gain that you don’t need but will find a use for.
While that’s a pleasant thing when it happens, is that the most important
thing in your life? Aren’t there more interesting things you like to do
between opportunities to get a surplus? Once you have all the surpluses
you want, what do you do next? Or does planning for and getting surpluses
take so much time and effort that there is no time for anything else? Is
there no amount of surplus you would consider enough? If you’ve ever met
anyone who does work that way, I should think you would want to avoid
that sort of obsession.

···

BP earlier: Or about money and
stocks and bonds and credit and sub-prime mortgages. All but the young,
old and disabled are artifacts of a particular way of managing an
economic system, invented on the fly as we make mistakes and try to
correct them. There is nothing necessary, fundamental, or essential about
any of them.

ML: You’ve only just discovered nihilism?

============================================================================

BP: From Dictionary.com:

Nihilism: –noun

1. total rejection of established laws and institutions.

2. anarchy, terrorism, or other revolutionary activity.

3. total and absolute destructiveness, especially toward
    the
    world at large
    and including oneself: the power-mad nihilism that marked Hitler’s last
    years.

=============================================================================

BP: No, I knew it was there. My approach is different, but I can see how
discovering the flaws and failings of established laws and institutions
could make someone just want to destroy everything and start over. I
prefer a more constructive approach, in which all the flaws and failings
are recognized clearly, but the remedy is to build something workable to
replace the broken parts.

BP earlier: … It seems real
enough while you’re playing it to involve hopes and disappointments and
other strong emotions, but when it’s over, the illusions dissolve and we
go back to real life.

Except in economics, where the illusions persist even as we try to live
real life.

ML: Wait a second, I thought you had just realized that economics dealt
with a world with no illusions. What are the illusions?

BP: The illusion is that the entities that make up present economic
theory have real independent existence, rather than being constructs
proposed and accepted by people for practical purposes. They are
model-dependent, the model in this case being Economic Man, whose
properties are laid out in various economic works such as price theory.
Current economics is value-neutral, but real economics is conducted by
value-driven people.

ML: It will be interesting to
see what you mean. Since you seem to have a problem with value
neutrality, are going to produce a model that will predict what you want
to happen, or what will happen? The world is nonlinear, even with
the best model, we may never have enough information about the initial
state to make succesful predictions.

What will happen depends on what has happened and on the properties of
the system and the values of the people who run it. The economic model I
propose focuses on the properties, and doesn’t try to predict events
except as functions of prior events, like any good theory should do. If
there is a disturbance, a control system will push back with about equal
effect. This is a property of control systems, but it doesn’t predict any
pushing behavior by itself. It states a relationship between disturbances
and actions that always holds true and doesn’t depend on whether this or
that disturbance happens or doesn’t happen. And disturbances are, of
course, defined only in terms of the preferred value (that is, magnitude)
of the thing disturbed.

BP earlier: When a person buys a
quantity of goods or services, the producer’s inventories of the goods or
time available for services get depleted and the person’s store of goods
or benefits from services increases by the same amount. The person’s
store of money or credit shrinks by an amount equal to the number units
of the good or service obtained times the price per unit. At the same
time, the seller’s store of money or credit is increased by the same
amount.

ML: That sounds more like accounting than economics.

Can you have an economic theory without accounting? Yes, this is
accounting, and the books have to balance all of the time. It is the
balancing of books that reveals what is wrong with the idea that
investment causes growth: you can’t have the same money being not spent
and spent at the same time. That problem is recognized in all the texts I
have seen, but is brushed aside as mere detail, or patched over
with an imaginary “pause” during which each role of the money
is somehow carried out in a time warp. The real problem is that we have a
feedback loop here and if you don’t know how to analyze a feedback system
you simply can’t understand the circular flow, or you get it all wrong.
Economists, as far as I can see, don’t know how to analyze feedback
loops. They see them just as sequences. In a working model, you’ll see
how they really work, which for most people encountering this phenomenon
for the first time comes as a counter-intuitive surprise. See LCS
III.

BP earlier: That is a
description of the environment in which the environmental feedback
functions of the participating control systems exist. This model can be
elaborated if we take things into account like interest and depreciation
and use of consumables and so forth, but this is a starting point for
considering the main elements of a transaction. This much of the model
can be tested by positing specific transactions, so we can see what
happens.

ML: If properly implemented, the books will balance.

BP: Yes, and the mystery is how that can happen when one person is
spending the money earned for producing part of what is purchased with
the money. In the model the books will ruthlessly balance without any
imaginary pauses and we will see what actually happens according to the
model. That will give us something to compare with what is really
observed.

BP earlier: I have never seen a
conventional economic model that has anything like these elements in
it.

ML: You’re kidding?

BP: Do you mean there is a conventional model that actually does the
bookkeeping while it runs to make sure the books remain balanced? Please
cite something so we can look it up. I missed that one.

Best,

Bill P.

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0814 MDT]

[From Bill Powers (2011.07.27.0655 MDT)]

Martin Lewitt 2011 July 27 0448 MDT --
      BP earlier: You

seem to be
saying that unless there is conflict, economics has nothing to
say about
the way we provide goods and services for ourselves (that way
being
how I would define economics, but read on).

ML: Exactly, if you can have anything you want without any

effort or
cost, there is no economics. Even if you are a one person
economy
there is conflict, everything you do has an opportunity cost,
which is
the other things you could be doing with your time and
resources.
It takes investment of effort, time and other resources to get
resources.

BP: So getting everything with the least possible effort is sort

of
sinful, is that it? So we should make it as hard as possible?

What makes you think that?  Having abundance for free would be

wonderful, but there would be little need for economics in that
situation.

BP earlier: It

looks as if
economics has been tailored to justify a society in which the
wealthy and
powerful take what they want by any means available, make and
enforce
laws (through purchase of lawmakers) that keep the rest from
overthrowing
the system that makes this possible, and requiring the
non-wealthy and
non-powerful to work to support the system and remain as close
as
feasible to the subsistence level of existence (got to have
those
scarcities). In other words, the status quo. No wonder we have
revolutions – that’s the only remaining way for the underdog
majority to
get a life.

ML: Economics is value neutral.
  BP: An interesting comment; I expected to be castigated as a

wild-eyed
revolutionary, but evidently that wasn’t the main message you
got.

It is value neutral in the sense that it has not be taylored to

justify anything, much less you fanciful speculation. It is value
neutral in that it would also apply in the situation you describe.

Yes, economics as it is today is value neutral. That's because the

Economic Man of current economic theory doesn’t have any human
values.
The choices are made by calculating the bottom line and picking
the path
of highest return on investment, which is not what most people are
concerned about. In fact, the way Economic Man is defined is
almost like
a confession by the people who subscribe to those ideas that this
is how
they work and what they approve of as a way of
conducting
one’s life. We can, of course, put agents with such properties
into the
model to see how they get along with the rest of the agents who
are
organized differently. But first we have to have a working
model.

Economics is value neutral, the decisions are  not made based upon

any values intrinsic to the system, but based upon each agents
individual subjective values. Now if we are talking about a free
market, rather than just the field of economics, that is enabled by
a relatively non-coercive environment with property rights, the
honoring of contracts and punishment of fraud. There is some
commonality of values that become important, such as a reputation
for honesty, quality products, honoring contracts, etc.

BP earlier:

Unfortunately, when
the underdogs arise and win, they are no better at running an
economy
than those they displaced. They don’t have any workable theory
of
economics, either. Without a workable theory, we seem to be
doomed to
endless reorganization in random directions. Well, that will
work
eventually, but not soon enough to do me any good.

ML: I guess you've produced everything you consume or use

yourself.

BP: Of course not. We do manage to get together to produce things

for our
own consumption and that of others, and we use money for its great
convenience, and we get along because we are intentional,
purposive
control systems, in spite of the contradictions, waste, and
ignorance
that disturb the system. If we actually worked the way economists
think
we work, the system would have collapsed long ago, but we can
correct the
errors and put things back together pretty well after each
inevitable
disaster. It’s the people who keep the economy going, not the
other way
around.

BP earlier: My

picture of an
economic system is a lot of people working individually and
together to
find or invent or produce or do things that are useful to
themselves and
each other, and where possible to bring life closer to what
each person
wants it to be. There’s nothing in that definition about
property and
owners and managers and distributors and customers and
dependents and the
poor or young or old or disabled.

ML: You are right, it is value neutral.  If you, with your

values,
value the poor, or young, or old or disabled, the helping them
may be
worth something to you. That would be your
surplus.

BP: It seems that you consider it very important to have a surplus

from
every transaction, a gain that you don’t need but will find a use
for.

Yes, it is very important to have a surplus, i.e., a reason to

transact. You can consume some surpluses right away, leisure time
for instance .

While that's a pleasant thing when it happens, is that

the most important
thing in your life? Aren’t there more interesting things you like
to do
between opportunities to get a surplus?

Sure, and with surpluses you can do more things between

opportunities, and you might eventually be able to retire.
Surpluses are important for organizations and nations as well, in
achieving their goals.

Once you have all the surpluses

you want, what do you do next?

Seeing as how I want to cure cancer, heart disease and aging, I

suspect I’ll be due for a rest, once I know I have sufficient
surpluses.

Or does planning for and getting surpluses

take so much time and effort that there is no time for anything
else? Is
there no amount of surplus you would consider enough? If you’ve
ever met
anyone who does work that way, I should think you would want to
avoid
that sort of obsession.

I want to explore the universe too.  Since I think even that goal is

finite, there probably would be an amount of surplus that i would
consider enough.

BP earlier: Or

about money and
stocks and bonds and credit and sub-prime mortgages. All but
the young,
old and disabled are artifacts of a particular way of managing
an
economic system, invented on the fly as we make mistakes and
try to
correct them. There is nothing necessary, fundamental, or
essential about
any of them.

ML: You've only just discovered nihilism?

============================================================================

BP: From Dictionary.com:

Nihilism: –noun

1. total rejection of established laws and institutions.

2. anarchy, terrorism, or other revolutionary activity.

3. total and absolute destructiveness, especially toward

the
world at
large
and including oneself: the power-mad nihilism that marked Hitler’s
last
years.

=============================================================================

I had in mind philosophical nihilism, from wikipedia, nihilism "is

the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more
putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is
presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life
is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral
nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that
any established moral values are abstractly contrived."

BP: No, I knew it was there. My approach is different, but I can

see how
discovering the flaws and failings of established laws and
institutions
could make someone just want to destroy everything and start over.
I
prefer a more constructive approach, in which all the flaws and
failings
are recognized clearly, but the remedy is to build something
workable to
replace the broken parts.

BP earlier: ... It

seems real
enough while you’re playing it to involve hopes and
disappointments and
other strong emotions, but when it’s over, the illusions
dissolve and we
go back to real life.

Except in economics, where the illusions persist even as we

try to live
real life.

ML: Wait a second, I thought you had just realized that

economics dealt
with a world with no illusions. What are the illusions?

BP: The illusion is that the entities that make up present

economic
theory have real independent existence, rather than being
constructs
proposed and accepted by people for practical purposes.

I don't have the illusion of dualism.
  They are

model-dependent, the model in this case being Economic Man, whose
properties are laid out in various economic works such as price
theory.
Current economics is value-neutral, but real economics is
conducted by
value-driven people.

yes, economics at its best requires value driven people, but in mass

society it is best if government intervention does not destroy
incentive or result in perverse incentives.

ML: It will be

interesting to
see what you mean. Since you seem to have a problem with value
neutrality, are going to produce a model that will predict what
you want
to happen, or what will happen? The world is nonlinear, even
with
the best model, we may never have enough information about the
initial
state to make succesful predictions.

What will happen depends on what has happened and on the

properties of
the system and the values of the people who run it. The economic
model I
propose focuses on the properties, and doesn’t try to predict
events
except as functions of prior events, like any good theory should
do. If
there is a disturbance, a control system will push back with about
equal
effect. This is a property of control systems, but it doesn’t
predict any
pushing behavior by itself. It states a relationship between
disturbances
and actions that always holds true and doesn’t depend on whether
this or
that disturbance happens or doesn’t happen. And disturbances are,
of
course, defined only in terms of the preferred value (that is,
magnitude)
of the thing disturbed.

BP earlier: When a

person buys a
quantity of goods or services, the producer’s inventories of
the goods or
time available for services get depleted and the person’s
store of goods
or benefits from services increases by the same amount. The
person’s
store of money or credit shrinks by an amount equal to the
number units
of the good or service obtained times the price per unit. At
the same
time, the seller’s store of money or credit is increased by
the same
amount.

ML: That sounds more like accounting than economics.
  Can you have an economic theory without accounting? Yes, this is

accounting, and the books have to balance all of the time. It is
the
balancing of books that reveals what is wrong with the idea that
investment causes growth: you can’t have the same money being not
spent
and spent at the same time. That problem is recognized in all the
texts I
have seen, but is brushed aside as mere detail, or patched over
with an imaginary “pause” during which each role of the money
is somehow carried out in a time warp. The real problem is that we
have a
feedback loop here and if you don’t know how to analyze a feedback
system
you simply can’t understand the circular flow, or you get it all
wrong.
Economists, as far as I can see, don’t know how to analyze
feedback
loops. They see them just as sequences. In a working model, you’ll
see
how they really work, which for most people encountering this
phenomenon
for the first time comes as a counter-intuitive surprise. See LCS
III.

BP earlier: That is

a
description of the environment in which the environmental
feedback
functions of the participating control systems exist. This
model can be
elaborated if we take things into account like interest and
depreciation
and use of consumables and so forth, but this is a starting
point for
considering the main elements of a transaction. This much of
the model
can be tested by positing specific transactions, so we can see
what
happens.

ML: If properly implemented, the books will balance.
  BP: Yes, and the mystery is how that can happen when one person is

spending the money earned for producing part of what is purchased
with
the money. In the model the books will ruthlessly balance without
any
imaginary pauses and we will see what actually happens according
to the
model. That will give us something to compare with what is really
observed.

BP earlier: I have

never seen a
conventional economic model that has anything like these
elements in
it.

ML: You're kidding?
  BP: Do you mean there is a conventional model that actually does

the
bookkeeping while it runs to make sure the books remain balanced?
Please
cite something so we can look it up. I missed that one.

I've seen accounting systems that continuously monitor inventory and

reorder products and supplies when they drop below a threshold.

-- Martin L
···

On 7/27/2011 8:00 AM, Bill Powers wrote:

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2011.07.27.0830)]

RM: So what's a surplus?

ML: The surplus is the value you perceive over your cost.

So "surplus" is just imaginary. I agree.

ML: So voluntary exchanges produce surpluses for both parties, otherwise they
wouldn't have make the exchange.

Only if both parties imagine that the value of what they are getting
is greater than the cost.

ML: Right, and if �you would have consumed the good at a higher price but got to
pay just the lower market price, you've got the surplus.

So now a surplus is the difference between market price and paid
price. Boy, I just can't keep up. I think we'll just have to wait for
a model to see if any surpluses pop up. But I'm pretty sure that
there will be no surpluses, in the sense that everyone ends up having
more stuff (or $) just from one person buying stuff from another.

Here's the way I see it. The economy produces X amount of stuff per
year; in constant dollars that's called GNP. So there are GNP dollars
available to consume X stuff each year. How the GNP $ are distributed
in the population determines how much X can be consumed by each member
of the population. If 1% of the population gets 50% of GNP $ then
those 1% are probably going to have a surplus of X, to the extent that
1% of the population cannot consume 50% of X. But the other 99% of the
population can consume only the remaining 50% of X, so most of them
are unlikely to have a surplus; they are probably going to consume
everything they can purchase. So any significant surplus of X for one
component of the population is likely to be made up by an equal and
opposite shortage for another.

But let's see what the model does and then we can see what actually
happens. Does the economy grow because of free market trades or
because of people actually making things?

RSM

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 28 0053 MDT]

RM: So what's a surplus?

ML: The surplus is the value you perceive over your cost.

So "surplus" is just imaginary. I agree.

And every exchange increases it, imagine that!

ML: So voluntary exchanges produce surpluses for both parties, otherwise they
wouldn't have make the exchange.

Only if both parties imagine that the value of what they are getting
is greater than the cost.

What are they controlling for it they don't imagine that?

ML: Right, and if you would have consumed the good at a higher price but got to
pay just the lower market price, you've got the surplus.

So now a surplus is the difference between market price and paid
price. Boy, I just can't keep up.

You didn't state it quite right, the surplus is the difference between the price you value the good at and the price you actually paid. Of course, the price you value the good at may not be the price you are willing to pay. In a market economy with plenty of price information available, you may be unwilling to just pay the price you value the good at, if you know a much better price is available elsewhere or at a later time. There can be a lot of options for optimizing your surplus, exquisitely tuned, by yourself to the subjective values that you are controlling for.

I think we'll just have to wait for
a model to see if any surpluses pop up. But I'm pretty sure that
there will be no surpluses, in the sense that everyone ends up having
more stuff (or $) just from one person buying stuff from another.

Even if the total amount of stuff has not changed, the surplus can increase due to a different distribution of goods from exchanges. If I have a sex toy but would prefer a book, and you have a book and would prefer a sex toy, we could exchange, and the the surplus would be increased even though the total amount of goods hasn't.

Here's the way I see it. The economy produces X amount of stuff per
year; in constant dollars that's called GNP. So there are GNP dollars
available to consume X stuff each year. How the GNP $ are distributed
in the population determines how much X can be consumed by each member
of the population. If 1% of the population gets 50% of GNP $ then
those 1% are probably going to have a surplus of X, to the extent that
1% of the population cannot consume 50% of X. But the other 99% of the
population can consume only the remaining 50% of X, so most of them
are unlikely to have a surplus; they are probably going to consume
everything they can purchase. So any significant surplus of X for one
component of the population is likely to be made up by an equal and
opposite shortage for another.

The X had better not be perishable. The 1% must really like X if it keeps producing it just to keep it, and not like what the other 99% produces. If the 1% don't need that much X, and don't like what the 99% produces they could just produce less X. This is the same situation we are in with the 3% that are farmers. We are fortunate that they want more than just food, so produce enough food for all of us. If instead they decided to produce for subsistence and enjoy their families, we'd be up the creek.

Let's say you are Bill Gates, and this year your wealth increased by $20 billion, but you have the same amount of stock and goods as they year before, do you really have more X? Really, most of what you are implying is maldistributed X is just like that. Exactly what have you denied other people?

But let's see what the model does and then we can see what actually
happens. Does the economy grow because of free market trades or
because of people actually making things?

Hopefully people produce more in order to make free market trades, with their decisions on what to make, more likely to increase surplus and growth because they are informed by market price information.

-- Martin L

···

On 7/27/2011 9:35 AM, Richard Marken wrote:

RSM

(Gavin Ritz 2011.01.08.10.02NZT)

[Martin Lewitt 2011 July 28 0053 MDT]

RM: So what’s a surplus?

ML: The surplus is the value you perceive
over your cost.

So “surplus” is just imaginary. I
agree.

You didn’t state it quite right, the surplus is the
difference between

the price you value the good at and the price you
actually paid. Of

course, the price you value the good at may not be the
price you are

willing to pay. In a market economy with plenty
of price information

available, you may be unwilling to just pay the price
you value the good

at, if you know a much better price is available elsewhere
or at a later

time. There can be a lot of options for
optimizing your surplus,

exquisitely tuned, by yourself to the subjective
values that you are

controlling for.

I have created a PCT
drawing of a minor economic relationship between two control systems.

I will post it in the
next few hours that takes into account these situations discussed above.

Let’s see if it’s
worth anything.

Regards

Gavin