VS: VS: 'Mowgli girl' found living with monkeys in Indian jungle - Sky News

Certainly, this kind of situation may rise quite primitive feelings: The beasts have hijacked the princess. The classical configuration of Culture vs. Nature, like in folk tales.
Hopefully PCT could help to create less "human chauvinist" views about animals - and different people too.

Eetu

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: Warren Mansell [mailto:wmansell@gmail.com]
Lähetetty: 7. huhtikuutata 2017 16:24
Vastaanottaja: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Aihe: Re: VS: 'Mowgli girl' found living with monkeys in Indian jungle - Sky News

Yes, I think in the case of removal from human parents the authorities will be more used to balancing the risks either way. In these examples, I can imagine there is almost an unquestioned assumption that the child needs to be removed immediately without a reasoned consideration of the situation and how to best manage it...

···

On 7 Apr 2017, at 12:36, Eetu Pikkarainen <eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi> wrote:

Yes these are shocking cases. Like also cases where a child has to be taken away from their parents. These kind of interventions should be at least tried to do more respectfully.
Here is a whole list of similar cases: Feral child - Wikipedia
Also this Mowgli girl was already there with three sources.
For educationalist these have been a traditional proof for the old Comenian-Kantian statement that a human being becomes a human being only via education.

Eetu

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: Warren Mansell [mailto:wmansell@gmail.com]
Lähetetty: 7. huhtikuutata 2017 12:17
Vastaanottaja: Warren Mansell <wmansell@gmail.com>; csgnet@lists.illinois.edu; CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU; fplooij@kiddygroup.com; mol@mail-list.com
Aihe: Re: 'Mowgli girl' found living with monkeys in Indian jungle - Sky News

Sorry the last sentence should be 'can't' not 'can'.

On 7 Apr 2017, at 10:15, Warren Mansell <wmansell@gmail.com> wrote:

If there is in example of how ignorant we are as humans about what we share with other animals - needs, goals, cooperation, affection - and a need for control - see this.
When my wife and myself read this we were so shocked, but maybe also because people's responses were so predictably traumatic. The way this girl was forcibly separated from her monkey protectors and friends for ten years sounds horrific. I can see there is an instinct for humans to 'save their own' but we need to rise above this. A sophisticated way of helping the girl would be gradual, respecting here control, and helping her to make choices about relationships with humans rather than tearing her away like this.
Apparently 'a team of psychologists' are helping her in the orphanage. I can see this is even possible from the orphanage; only from the jungle.

'Mowgli girl' found living with monkeys in Indian jungle | World News | Sky News