What's in a name?

[From Fred Nickols (2014.06.23.1356 EDT)]

Actually, I like Perceptual-Control-System-Engineer. I like Perception-Control-System-Engineer even more. I learned the hard way many years ago that you have to be careful using the word “engineer.� The licensed engineers will be all over you. I’m sure some of you qualify so I’ll settle for being a “Perception Control Technician.�

Fred Nickols

···

From: PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN [mailto:pyeranos@ucla.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:38 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: What’s in a name?

[phil 6/23/12 10:12]

Honestly, who even looked at the phenomenology page? I got 0 feedback, thanks allot feedback guys. Anyway, if you looked, you’d find that phenomenology CONTAINS teleonomy. It is about the observation of experience, of the observation of the phenomenon or the fact of control, or of any other experience. Perceptual control places the stress on the controlled nature of the perceptual experience. Phenomenology seeks to describe this experience as a hierarchical structure. If you study telenomy you’re going to get entangled in time-tunneling quantum sci-fi bullshit. I’m sick of these new age scientists trying to come up with stupid adjectival juxtapositions to describe something they hope exists. What exists is perception, and if that perception is not actively controlled, then purpose does not exist, simple as that.

As for what you should call yourself, as if you needed to figure this out in 2014. You guys are perceptual-control-system engineers: not psychologists (because psychologists refuse to grant you entry into their stupid club), not engineering control theorists (as they too do not grant you entry). Define a group in terms of how its members’ behavior includes or excludes membership. You generate all of human history, from science to genocide. You cannot hijack names, I’m sorry, but all a person needs to do to foil your intention is to resist an disturbance to an imaginary abstract conception in their head and your name is controlled. In the stupid, childish, apocalyptic game called science, it’s not important what you think your name is. What is important is how the others will control what to call you in order to resist disturbances to what they will call themselves. As a result, you need to resist the proper disturbances to your study. You should know not to control other peoples’ behavior by applying disturbances (changing your name, changing what they’re supposed to call you). People will do what they want and YOU need to do the extra work, thinking in circles, to figure out why.

I don’t want to keep reading about how everybody else needs to drop what they’re doing and start calling you guys teleopathologists (how do you like that for a name). If you haven’t figured it out yet, scientists are a bunch of pathetic dream chasers running after a science which has gotten lucky by feeding off of the work of pure math. Most of quantum mechanics is ACCIDENTALLY discovered because people have been doing totally applicationless math. That’s like accidentally perceiving something and then pretending like you were actively controlling it and having it as the purpose of your behavior all along. Do you think the geometry which went into the pyramids and into the structures on mars came from a race of people sitting at desks collecting grant money while…I’m just not even going to get into this.

Long story short, I don’t see in you guys the proper attitude it takes to further this field. I’m sorry, but if you refuse to start describing PCT more in terms of why what everyone else is doing is CORRECT instead of fundamentally wrong, you will get nowhere. Try reading Dale Carnegie’s “How to win friends and influence people”. That teaches you more about PCT than a study of the disturbance, the feedback, the output, etc.

On Monday, June 23, 2014, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.23.0840)]

David Goldstein (2014.05.23.1023)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleonomy

RM: Damn! It’s not the name of a field; it’s the name of what is thought to be an illusion (purposefulness). But I can hijack it as the name of a field; the study of the real phenomenon of purpose (control).

Or I can just keep saying that I’m a psychologist and live with the consequences;-)

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2014, at 7:04 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.12.1600)]

Kent McClelland (2014.06.12.1410 CDT)

RM: Thanks for the history, Kent. I knew that you get the credit for coining the term PCT but I didn’t remember the details of the back story. I found this part particularly interesting:

KM: If I’m remembering correctly, Bill Powers’s preference for the name of the theory during that 1990s CSGnet debate was Hierarchical Control Theory, a name that describes the theory a little better, perhaps, but was regarded as poison by sociologists like myself, who didn’t want to be associated with anything smacking of hierarchy, let alone hierarchical control!

RM: This is really too bad because Hierarchical Control Theory (HCT) really is, indeed, the name that describes Bill’s theory the best. Perceptual Control Theory is fine, too, but the fact is that all control theories are perceptual control theories. This is just the way closed negative feedback systems work; they controls perceptual representations of the variables they control. So the control theory that describes the behavior of a thermostat is a perceptual control theory as much as is the control theory that describes the behavior of a human.

RM: All control systems control a perceptual representation of controlled variable(s). This fact is rarely explicitly taken into account in engineering applications of control theory because the control engineer knows what variable is to be controlled and, therefore, what variable should be sensed (perceived). The main concern for the engineer is that the system be built so that it controls well. But it is crucial to be aware of the fact that it is perception that is controlled when trying to understand the controlling (behavior) of control systems that have already been built – living control systems. One of Powers’ main contributions was pointing this out to students of the behavior of living control systems; that to understand the behavior of such systems you have to understand what perceptions they are controlling. So naming Bill’s application of control theory Perceptual Control Theory was brilliant because it called attention not only to what is most important about the application of control theory to the behavior of living systems but also to what distinguishes Bill’s application of control theory from others that were also being applied in psychology.

RM: But I think Bill’s most important contribution to understanding the behavior of living systems was pointing out that behavior is control and that, therefore, only control theory can account for such behavior. He then went on to propose a hierarchical version of control theory to show how control theory could account for all aspects for behavior, from controlling the position of a limb to controlling one’s position on political issues. This Hierarchical Control Theory (HCT) model is the one that Bill hoped researchers would test; it’s the theory that Bill was sure was not completely correct and that would surely have to be change. It’s HCT that is Bill’s theory of behavior that has to be tested; there is no need to test PCT because virtually all of what we call “behavior” is control and all control is perceptual control; if behavior is control then it’s perceptual control. The only way to reject PCT is to reject the fact that behavior is control or to reject that fact that control involves active resistance to disturbance – both of which are arguments used by opponents of PCT. But I’m pretty tired of fighting (via research) to show that PCT is right. That’s why I was suggesting that maybe we should change the name of field of study of PCT to indicate that PCT is only relevant to the study of control in living organisms. Then we could start doing the science that Bill hoped to see emerge out of his work; a science dedicated to testing theories, like Bill’s HCT, of how control works in living organisms.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

MT :

The teleonomic purpose of reorganization is good control of perceptions important to survival, is it not?

HB :

I agree Martin. But how can you use this cognition in finding out where references are coming from ? And how can we use it in determining how …purposefulness and goal-directedness of structures and functions in living organisms derived from their evolutionary history… ?

Boris

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Martin Taylor
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 6:04 PM

[Martin Taylor 2014.06.23.12.00]

RM: Damn! It’s not the name of a field; it’s the name of what is thought to be an illusion (purposefulness). But I can hijack it as the name of a field; the study of the real phenomenon of purpose (control).

It’s interesting, though, that the Wikipedia description is rather close to the operation of reorganization, especially if we remember that the functional boxes of a reorganizing control hierarchy actually represent many parallel biological structures. The teleonomic purpose of reorganization is good control of perceptions important to survival, is it not?

Martin

Hi Philip,

aren’t you a little to severe with science ? Did I understand you right that you are spiting on science ?

Best,

Boris

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 7:38 PM

Honestly, who even looked at the phenomenology page? I got 0 feedback, thanks allot feedback guys. Anyway, if you looked, you’d find that phenomenology CONTAINS teleonomy. It is about the observation of experience, of the observation of the phenomenon or the fact of control, or of any other experience. Perceptual control places the stress on the controlled nature of the perceptual experience. Phenomenology seeks to describe this experience as a hierarchical structure. If you study telenomy you’re going to get entangled in time-tunneling quantum sci-fi bullshit. I’m sick of these new age scientists trying to come up with stupid adjectival juxtapositions to describe something they hope exists. What exists is perception, and if that perception is not actively controlled, then purpose does not exist, simple as that.

As for what you should call yourself, as if you needed to figure this out in 2014. You guys are perceptual-control-system engineers: not psychologists (because psychologists refuse to grant you entry into their stupid club), not engineering control theorists (as they too do not grant you entry). Define a group in terms of how its members’ behavior includes or excludes membership. You generate all of human history, from science to genocide. You cannot hijack names, I’m sorry, but all a person needs to do to foil your intention is to resist an disturbance to an imaginary abstract conception in their head and your name is controlled. In the stupid, childish, apocalyptic game called science, it’s not important what you think your name is. What is important is how the others will control what to call you in order to resist disturbances to what they will call themselves. As a result, you need to resist the proper disturbances to your study. You should know not to control other peoples’ behavior by applying disturbances (changing your name, changing what they’re supposed to call you). People will do what they want and YOU need to do the extra work, thinking in circles, to figure out why.

I don’t want to keep reading about how everybody else needs to drop what they’re doing and start calling you guys teleopathologists (how do you like that for a name). If you haven’t figured it out yet, scientists are a bunch of pathetic dream chasers running after a science which has gotten lucky by feeding off of the work of pure math. Most of quantum mechanics is ACCIDENTALLY discovered because people have been doing totally applicationless math. That’s like accidentally perceiving something and then pretending like you were actively controlling it and having it as the purpose of your behavior all along. Do you think the geometry which went into the pyramids and into the structures on mars came from a race of people sitting at desks collecting grant money while…I’m just not even going to get into this.

Long story short, I don’t see in you guys the proper attitude it takes to further this field. I’m sorry, but if you refuse to start describing PCT more in terms of why what everyone else is doing is CORRECT instead of fundamentally wrong, you will get nowhere. Try reading Dale Carnegie’s “How to win friends and influence people”. That teaches you more about PCT than a study of the disturbance, the feedback, the output, etc.

Or I can just keep saying that I’m a psychologist and live with the consequences;-)

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

RM: Thanks for the history, Kent. I knew that you get the credit for coining the term PCT but I didn’t remember the details of the back story. I found this part particularly interesting:

KM: If I’m remembering correctly, Bill Powers’s preference for the name of the theory during that 1990s CSGnet debate was Hierarchical Control Theory, a name that describes the theory a little better, perhaps, but was regarded as poison by sociologists like myself, who didn’t want to be associated with anything smacking of hierarchy, let alone hierarchical control!

RM: This is really too bad because Hierarchical Control Theory (HCT) really is, indeed, the name that describes Bill’s theory the best. Perceptual Control Theory is fine, too, but the fact is that all control theories are perceptual control theories. This is just the way closed negative feedback systems work; they controls perceptual representations of the variables they control. So the control theory that describes the behavior of a thermostat is a perceptual control theory as much as is the control theory that describes the behavior of a human.

RM: All control systems control a perceptual representation of controlled variable(s). This fact is rarely explicitly taken into account in engineering applications of control theory because the control engineer knows what variable is to be controlled and, therefore, what variable should be sensed (perceived). The main concern for the engineer is that the system be built so that it controls well. But it is crucial to be aware of the fact that it is perception that is controlled when trying to understand the controlling (behavior) of control systems that have already been built – living control systems. One of Powers’ main contributions was pointing this out to students of the behavior of living control systems; that to understand the behavior of such systems you have to understand what perceptions they are controlling. So naming Bill’s application of control theory Perceptual Control Theory was brilliant because it called attention not only to what is most important about the application of control theory to the behavior of living systems but also to what distinguishes Bill’s application of control theory from others that were also being applied in psychology.

RM: But I think Bill’s most important contribution to understanding the behavior of living systems was pointing out that behavior is control and that, therefore, only control theory can account for such behavior. He then went on to propose a hierarchical version of control theory to show how control theory could account for all aspects for behavior, from controlling the position of a limb to controlling one’s position on political issues. This Hierarchical Control Theory (HCT) model is the one that Bill hoped researchers would test; it’s the theory that Bill was sure was not completely correct and that would surely have to be change. It’s HCT that is Bill’s theory of behavior that has to be tested; there is no need to test PCT because virtually all of what we call “behavior” is control and all control is perceptual control; if behavior is control then it’s perceptual control. The only way to reject PCT is to reject the fact that behavior is control or to reject that fact that control involves active resistance to disturbance – both of which are arguments used by opponents of PCT. But I’m pretty tired of fighting (via research) to show that PCT is right. That’s why I was suggesting that maybe we should change the name of field of study of PCT to indicate that PCT is only relevant to the study of control in living organisms. Then we could start doing the science that Bill hoped to see emerge out of his work; a science dedicated to testing theories, like Bill’s HCT, of how control works in living organisms.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.23.1450)]

···

Honestly, who even looked at the phenomenology page? I got 0 feedback, thanks allot feedback guys. Anyway, if you looked, you’d find that phenomenology CONTAINS teleonomy. It is about the observation of experience, of the observation of the phenomenon or the fact of control, or of any other experience.

RM: Yes, that’s what I understood phenomenology to be. Since observation of the phenomenon of control is only part of phenomenology I though the term was too general. But I do consider myself a phenomenologist in the sense that I am interested in phenomena, but in particular the phenomenon of control.

Best

Rick

Perceptual control places the stress on the controlled nature of the perceptual experience. Phenomenology seeks to describe this experience as a hierarchical structure. If you study telenomy you’re going to get entangled in time-tunneling quantum sci-fi bullshit. I’m sick of these new age scientists trying to come up with stupid adjectival juxtapositions to describe something they hope exists. What exists is perception, and if that perception is not actively controlled, then purpose does not exist, simple as that.

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

Best regards

Rick

AP: Well, hello everyone! I meant to respond to Rick’s first post on this thread right off the bat, but suddenly started doubting myself. In any case, here goes. Why not just put “Perceptual Control” in front of whatever it is you do? Perceptual Control Psychologist, Perceptual Control Sociologist, etc. Maybe that won’t work with everything but it clearly connects to PCT, drops the word “theory,” so that it helps clarify that this is a proven science and not only a theory and still provides a reference back to the underlying work of PCT. Just a thought.

As I have been going through the file cabinets of papers getting them ready for my trip across the plains back to Illinois, I ran across a letter that Dad wrote to Barry Clemson which echoed this discussion. I thought it would be fun to share it. I also included Barry’s reply since it rounds it out a bit.

Allie

···

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

Honestly, who even looked at the phenomenology page? I got 0 feedback, thanks allot feedback guys. Anyway, if you looked, you’d find that phenomenology CONTAINS teleonomy. It is about the observation of experience, of the observation of the phenomenon or the fact of control, or of any other experience.

RM: Yes, that’s what I understood phenomenology to be. Since observation of the phenomenon of control is only part of phenomenology I though the term was too general. But I do consider myself a phenomenologist in the sense that I am interested in phenomena, but in particular the phenomenon of control.

Best

Rick

Perceptual control places the stress on the controlled nature of the perceptual experience. Phenomenology seeks to describe this experience as a hierarchical structure. If you study telenomy you’re going to get entangled in time-tunneling quantum sci-fi bullshit. I’m sick of these new age scientists trying to come up with stupid adjectival juxtapositions to describe something they hope exists. What exists is perception, and if that perception is not actively controlled, then purpose does not exist, simple as that.

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

Best regards

Rick

David Goldstein (2014.06.24.0835)

I like your suggestion.

David

···

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Best

Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

Best regards

Rick

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.24.1000)

···

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

AP: Well, hello everyone! I meant to respond to Rick’s first post on this thread right off the bat, but suddenly started doubting myself. In any case, here goes. Why not just put “Perceptual Control” in front of whatever it is you do? Perceptual Control Psychologist, Perceptual Control Sociologist, etc. Maybe that won’t work with everything but it clearly connects to PCT, drops the word “theory,” so that it helps clarify that this is a proven science and not only a theory and still provides a reference back to the underlying work of PCT. Just a thought.

RM: I like the thought. But I still like a name, like “teleonomy”, that points to the phenomenon under study – control or purposeful behavior – and alludes not at all to theory. “Perceptual Control” still suggests (to me anyway) a particular theory – PCT – used to explain the phenomenon of control. There are other, competing theories of control, such as “Model-Based Control”. I want a name for what I do that is theory neutral and just refers to the phenomenon that is the subject of our science; a name like “physics”, “chemistry”, or “astronomy”.

Again, I am doing this as an exercise in trying to call to people’s attention the fact that PCT is a theoretical explanation of a phenomenon that is not even recognized in psychology or other behavioral science – the phenomenon of control. Psychologists (as I note in my “Blind Men and the Elephant” chapter in More Mind Readings, p. 23 – please go out and buy many copies;-) don’t study control per se at all – just “side-effects” of control. So PCT has not made much headway in psychology (or related behavioral sciences) because it is an explanation of a phenomenon that these folks are not trying to explain.

The importance of the fact that PCT explains a phenomenon that is not recognized or understood in the behavioral sciences cannot be overemphasized. It’s the first thing Bill talks about in the wonderful collection of papers that Dag just distributed. It shows up on p. 1 of the "Ten Minute Introduction to PCT where Bill says “Control theory explains how organisms control what happens to them”. In other words, control theory explains the phenomena of control.

It shows up again as the very first (and I think most important) paragraph in Bill’s “PCT in 11 Steps” paper on p. 3, the paragraph entitled “Behavior as Control”. Right off the bat Bill describes what the phenomenon of control is (he describes it from the point of view of the behaving system but it can also be described more “objectively” from the point of view of an observer of a behaving system as “acting to bring an aspect of the world to a pre-selected state and kept in that state, protected from variations in circumstances that would move it from that state”). Bill then goes on to point out that everything we call “behavior” is control.

I really think this was Bill’s most extraordinary contribution to our understanding of the nature of living systems: that they control. I think Bill’s background in physics was a big part of his ability to “see” behavior as control where others couldn’t. Because he was a physicist (and control engineer) he could see that producing consistent results – like scrambled eggs or a scratched itch, as per the paragraph on p. 3 – requires varying the means of producing these results appropriately to compensate for the changed circumstances (“disturbances”) that exist on each different occasion. What we are seeing when we see behavior is control. So people who study behavior are teleonomists. Control theory is not an alternative to existing theories of behavior; it is the only theory that can explain behavior when behavior is correctly seen as control.

Or so I think;-)

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (940916.0715 MDT)]

Jack Mariott (940916.0115) --

As practicing Controls Engineers, some of us don't understand the
nature of this discussion group. It seems that every now and then
someone will present truly technical information regarding Controls
Systems. However, the bulk of the material presented here has to do
with social/biological/psychological issues. My question is, should
this forum really be named a "Controls Systems Group" ?

A short comment that calls for a long answer.

The only naturally-occurring control systems are organisms. Back in the
1930s when control engineering started to become a formalized
discipline, engineers were trying to develop devices that could take
over control tasks from human beings, tasks that required variable
actions in order to produce a consistent result in a variable world (or
inside themselves). Living systems appear to be organized this way at
every level, from the biochemical to the cognitive -- or so it is
assumed in our group, and often directly demonstrated.

If I recall correctly, one of the first modern control systems was used
to automate the "slide-back potentiometer," used for transferring the
voltage from a standard cell to a more robust power supply, by adjusting
the robust power supply for zero current flow between it and the
standard cell. Originally this required a human being watching a
galvanometer and manually adjusting the power supply knob, which human
beings were already constructed to do quickly and stably. The "self-
balancing potentiometer" substituted a differential amplifier for the
human being's sensors and brain and the galvanometer needle, and a power
amplifier and reversible motor for the human being's muscles. By cut and
try methods this system was stabilized, and quickly evolved into the
Honeywell strip-chart recorder, and then into gun-pointing systems and
all sorts of other stuff like better ship-steering systems and the first
aircraft autopilots. These artificial control systems were often quicker
and stronger than the human beings who originally did these tasks,
although much simpler.

During World War II, Wiener, Rosenbleuth, and Bigelow ( a mathematician,
neurologist, and engineer respectively) saw parallels between the
machine systems and the natural ones, and invented cybernetics. They did
not seem to know that control systems originated as imitations of living
systems; it seemed to come as a great surprise to find that human beings
could act like control systems. The main reason for this surprise was
that in the behavioral sciences and biology, control behavior per se had
never been recognized as a phenomenon. The dominant theory in psychology
and biology was behaviorism, in which stimulus inputs cause motor
outputs, the presence and properties of negative feedback never having
been grasped. So all the mainstream explanations of behavior tried to
account for what people do by looking for causative factors outside
them. The few who insisted that organisms were goal-seeking or purposive
systems didn't know anything about control either, so they couldn't
mount an effective counterargument.

The digital revolution did nothing to preserve the basic concepts of
negative feedback control. Computers are the ideal stimulus-response
devices, particularly when equipped with digital output devices like
printers, plotters, and stepper motors, and when put in environments
where unpredictable disturbances are prevented from affecting output
processes. One piece of evidence on this score is the current fad for
trying to build robots and to model organisms by methods that use
inverse kinematics and dynamics to calculate the commands required to
produce a preselected trajectory. This sort of system, beside being
unnecessarily complex, requires an environment in which a specific motor
act always has precisely the same consequences -- which is not the real
world. The attempt to produce control systems that work this way,
without real-time feedback, shows how many people have simply forgotten
or never learned the principles of negative feedback control. A lot of
lore has been lost.

A lot has been gained, too, by way of adaptive control theory and
optimal control theory. But these pursuits tend to be mostly
theoretical, with few real applications. Way back in the back rooms, of
course, there are old-fashioned control engineers who continue to
develop negative feedback control systems for doing things like
positioning disk-drive heads and steering spacecraft; their products do
very well indeed. But in my few contacts with practicing control
engineers, I see less real understanding of control processes than there
was in the 1940s and 1950s. Everyone seems to want to do things the hard
way just because they have big computers that make the arithmetic easy.

Well, that could be taken as an old man's complaint and I won't push it.

Our group is exploring the application and further development of a
model of human behavior that specifically recognizes the internal
organization of people as that of a large collection of negative
feedback control systems, operating in parallel and hierarchically. This
model gets us into just about every discipline in the life sciences, the
latest being biochemistry. We could use a lot more participation by real
control-system engineers, those who understand negative feedback
systems, because wherever possible we try to come up with simulations of
proposed organizations and compare their behavior with real human
behavior. While we have a "canonical" model that serves as a basic
organizing principle, figuring out how the real control systems are
actually organized takes more than an architectural sketch. As one of