What's wrong with schizophrenics? (was: Control system description)

[From Chris Bory
(2009.05.03.1333 EDT)]

I’ve been following
this thread and wanted to share my thoughts:

As a matter of semantics,
I think how we speak of individuals that have internal persistent conflicts
makes a difference in how we conceptualize them. I think, which I believe is in
line with MOL, that there is a difference between saying, “someone who
holds the diagnosis of schizophrenia” and “a
schizophrenic.” The former depathologizes the individual and makes
the social construct of a diagnosis not the person; only something that the ApA
(American Psychiatric Association) labels them with to fit in a specific
category. I think starting with this seemingly small difference can help us
begin to look at, in PCT terms, what goes on for a person that holds a specific
diagnosis.

I remember one of my
professors saying, to elucidate the point about the social construction of our
current diagnostic categories, that someone who is described as having a manic
phase most likely feels (a generality of course) “on top of the world” and that they feel they can
accomplish anything (and some times they do accomplish many tasks while they are experiencing
what is called mania). So, then, why would anyone want to stop this: getting
things accomplished, feeling extremely elevated, having an increased sense of
self, less need for sleep, and getting more accomplished. Sometimes, these
described phases of “mania” impact other people (i.e., excessive and
unrestrained spending), which may lead to others wanting to control this
individual’s “mania” (a type of interpersonal arbitrary control). However, this
may only be the case for some individuals. Others may find these so called
“manic” phases as extremely unpleasant and not consistent with what they
desire, causing internal conflict. So where does this leave us – the socially
constructed categories we have developed do not accurately describe an
individual’s subjective experience.

I think to follow with
what others have said previously, taking an idiographic approach to
understanding what specifically is causing the conflict for that specific
individual is the only way to try and find the controlled variable and the
conflicted goals. For starters, in looking back at the basic negative feedback
loop, the environmental disturbances that impact an individual’s perceptual
input specific to an inpatient state psychiatric center may be so overwhelming
that whatever they try and to do to control their perceptions, the
environmental disturbances are too great. Having some experience working in two
different state psychiatric centers, you see the tremendous limitations placed
on the individual’s on a locked unit – you are told when to eat, when to
shower, when to socialize, when to be quiet, when to take your medication, when
to go bed (to name a few) - if you do not do what is expected of you by the
“experts” you are viewed as a “being resistant,” which could lead to seclusion,
medication sedation, or 4 point restraints if they view you as physically
dangerous. I guess the point I’m trying to make is that as a whole, our society’s
view and treatment of mental health has a long and difficult history, which is
in conflict with the more recent person centered approaches to understanding
the individual’s subjective experience, but I believe this is where PCT and MOL
can help to begin to make a paradigm shift.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Chris

···

On May 3, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

[From Bill Powers (2009.05.03.08523 MDT)]

Bruce Abbott (2009.05.03.0945 EDT) –

BP: An excellent start on the discussion of PCT and disorders. Let me stir the pot a little more.

BA:

The behavioral manifestations that lead to a diagnosis of schizophrenia are
diverse. These may include hallucinations (typically, hearing voices),

BP: This is a problem for other people who worry about the reality of the voices and what that implies, but how is it a problem for the person having the hallucinations? That’s what I would ask about. Is it all right with you to be hearing these voices? If not, why not? If it’s OK, we can move on to something else. I’ve discussed hallucinations with people who had them, and most of them were very bothered by having them. If I’d known about MOL then, we might have got further, but I did explore the hallucinations with them, asking things like whose voices they were, and so on. Maybe just my not being upset by knowing the person heard voices was helpful. They didn’t seem so bothered afterward. The voices didn’t necessarily stop, but people would say, “Oh, there’s Grandma Harriet again.”

BA: delusions (beliefs that are manifestly false to most of us), possibly
including delusions of grandeur and/or persecution (the so-called paranoid
delusions),

Again, that is defining the problem that other people have with the person who is deluded (that’s a social problem). What if you simply ask the person what he or she thinks about those ideas? Back when I was about to give up on dianetics, I started doing a lot of MOL-like stuff (unwittingly) with clients because I really didn’t know what else to do. One person I will not name told me he had been making a living in Las Vegas by betting quarters on a roulette wheel which he had learned to time (they let you bet while the ball is still rolling). He won enough to eat but didn’t make larger bets because he knew The Mob would kick him out or kill him if he won too much. He described to me the day he realized that his toothache was being caused by a radar beam coming from the sign he could see on the Silver Dollar Cafe (a big round thing like a radar dish) out his hotel window . He knew this was a delusion but at the same time knew it was true. We just kept exploring this and his other problems. I had no idea what advice to give him, so I didn’t give him any (we didn’t, anyway, in dianetics). Maybe he was already recovering by the time he got to me, but he didn’t think so (his main problem, he felt, was a painful homosexual relationship he was in with someone who mistreated him). But just exploring his delusions and his feelings about them seemed to do the trick. I wouldn’t say he came “back to normal,” because I don’t think he ever was, or ought to be, that, but by the time we finished he felt that his problems had been resolved and he felt much better. That was all I was after.

BA: disorganized speech (rambling discourse that may include
“neologisms” or made-up words), which in severe cases degenerates into “word
salad” that still follows grammatical rules but is meaningless to others,

BP: I wouldn’t have the least idea what to do with that. Maybe ask the person what the words or pseudo-sentences mean? Maybe I’d say “I didn’t understand any of that – is that all right with you?” But I would try to determine if there was something about this behavior that was a problem for that person, not just for other people.

BA: distractibility (difficulty maintaining attention), odd repetitive
behaviors, inappropriate emotional outbursts (e.g., suddenly screaming at
someone for no apparent reason), catatonia (remaining immobile in a state of
"waxy flexibility, often for periods lasting hours), apathy and withdrawal
from the social world, and an apparent inability to experience positive
emotions such as happiness, joy, or love.

BP: in each of these examples, I’d try to find out, if I could, if the state in question bothered the person demonstrating it. If a person suddenly screamed at me “for no apparent reason”, I’d ask if there were any reasons for that, not say it was “inappropriate.” Or I’d just ask if the person is feeling very angry, or ask what the person would like to happen just then.

The whole theme I’m trying to get across here is the idea of trying to find out what errors the person is trying to correct, or what difficulties there are with correcting them. My own opinions of what is wrong with the person are irrelevant from the PCT point of view. I can’t reorganize the other person (though plugging his brain into a wall socket might do some of that, if not in a very organized way).

BA: I worked as a ward attendant at a large state mental hospital for a short
time while in college and had the opportunity to observe a number of persons
who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The dominant impression I had was
that these were people like you and me. With most of them, most of the time,
you could have an ordinary conversation (anti-psychotic medications were
just then coming into use). But I don’t mean to convey that there was
nothing wrong with them. Schizophrenia is no illusion. It is a highly
debilitating disorder – although of course there are degrees, from mild to
severe.

BP: Yes. But “debilitating” is in the eye of the beholder – it depends on what someone thinks the person ought to be able to do. If that someone is the person in question, fine, but if it’s someone else, nobody is going to reorganize in any fundamental way just to make someone else feel better.

And somehow I doubt that the same thing was wrong with every one of those “schizophrenics.” That’s just a category, isn’t it?

In high school I sometimes played boogie woogie piano in the mental wards of the VA hospital in Hines, Illinois (my mother was a Gray Lady there). I had the same impression that you got: I wasn’t very different from the guys locked up there. Perhaps I was even a bit less different from them than you were. Even they, however, told me they were different (but that I didn’t need to worry about it, which I learned not to do). But the question I had and still have comes down to this: what did THEY think their problem was, and was anyone trying to help them with that?

BA: From the PCT perspective, it may be easier to state what isn’t wrong than
what is. A person diagnosed as schizophrenic does not appear to have any
problems with lower-level control systems, unless dyskinesias develop as a
side-effect of medication. (Catatonia may be an exception, but see below.)
The person has normal use of skeletal musculature. He or she can walk, talk,
manipulate objects, and so on. Ordinary perception is intact: the person
doesn’t walk into walls or step off a sheer drop. Memory seems to function
normally.

BP: Yes, it’s clearly a higher-level problem, though in many cases I think it’s a problem with how to deal with lower-level problems like hallucinations. There isn’t anything abnormal about hearing voices that aren’t really there; sometimes that’s how I remember parts of a conversation. It’s just the imagination connection. The real problems arise in the higher-order interpretations of what the voices say, or of the fact that they are experienced.

BA: On the other hand, the person may be perceiving things that aren’t there,
such as a scolding inner voice. Is this the imagination connection run
amuck?

Why “run amuck?” That’s how it’s supposed to work. Maybe the problem is with a higher-order system that keeps the voices turned on all the time, for some reason we might explore.

The voice seems real enough to the person and entering the head from
some external source. The ability to “reality check” is compromised: the
person may hold fast to beliefs that are contrary to fact, logic, or common
sense. The person may have difficulty controlling attention. In the severe
case of “word salad” an entire monologue may consist of sentences whose only
connections are associative.

That’s what I would focus on: do the voices sound real, and does the person think they are really real? In the worst cases you describe, naturally we have to suspect some kind of organic problem that can’t be dealt with psychologically, but I’d never assume that to start with. You and I have debugged enough programs to know that a wise analyst never starts out by blaming the hardware.

Catatonia is an interesting case. The person enters a state immobility
characterized by waxy flexibility. You can move the person’s frame around
and he or she will offer no resistance. An arm will stay where you position
it, even if the position is uncomfortable. After the person emerges from
this state, he or she may give you an explanation for it. (One said that he
was saving the world from nuclear holocaust, because one move would upset
the delicate balance between good and evil – a paranoid delusion of
grandeur, by the way.)

Yes, I suppose so, but did it seem like a delusion to the person? The other rationalizing phenomenon happens in hypnosis, too (Oh, I just though you might be amused if I tugged on your beard a little). We do like to make sense of our own behavior.

My guess is that that these explanations, like those
all of us give, often are not the actual reasons but are generated post hoc
as a way of justifying what we did. It sounds to me as though something is
wrong with the linkages from higher-level reference signals, although beyond
that I’m not sure how to characterize it. The person doesn’t fall over, so
low-level systems regulating posture and balance are working, but
higher-level systems seem to be in a “don’t care” mode with respect to the
reference settings.

That’s just a start at an analysis, but perhaps enough to get the ball
rolling.

Good, let’s see what others have to say.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2009.05.03.1105)]

Bill Powers (20089.05.03.1039 MDT)–

Rick Marken (2009.05.03.0900)

RM: Sounds like a description of a perfectly normal right wing Republican
(except for the catatonia, unfortunately;-).

BP: Still after the Don Rickles Award?

No, just trying to bring some joy into the lives of the few lovable liberals who still still haunt this site.

Which reminds me of my favorite put-down, said by a girl to a flasher:
“That looks just like a penis, only smaller.”

If that’s your favorite put-down then I can see why you didn’t like mine. I mean it’s pretty good but it’s not even close to “I wouldn’t join a club that would have me as a member (no, not the flasher kind, you dirty minded fellow)”:wink:

RM: The same kind of explanation
would probably apply to schizophrenics; what we see as “odd
behavior” is just a side effect of the person’s efforts to produce
some kind of perception for themselves. Of course, figuring out what
those perceptions might be is the tough part, for me
anyway.

BP: I don’t think we have to “figure out” what those
perceptions might be. All we have to do is ask, or at least
interact.

Sure, but even then it might be a bit challenging, at least for a guy like me who can barely win the Nya Nya prize in the children’s category.

I really don’t think it’s necessary to analyze a person’s behavior to try
to see how it is similar to the behavior of other people with similar
symptoms.

I really don’t either? Did I say it was?

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From David Goldstein (2009.05.03.14:38 EDT)]
[About Bill Powers (2009.05.03.21028 MDT)]

Bill,
Did you read the whole email post?
At the end I ask certain questions.

DG: Applying PCT ideas to this, one can ask: What is conceptual disorganization in PCT terms?
What is hallucinatory behavior in PCT terms?
What is unusual thought content in PCT terms?

The point of reviewing the BPRS results is to show what others have found to describe people with personal problems. The BPRS has been used in many countries around the world. The same two contrast functions show up in all the data. Why ignore these results?

PCT takes the insider point of view. If to an outsider, a person is coming across as conceptually disorganized (defined by the BPRS as 'thought processes confused, disconnected, disorganized, disrupted), what might be going on in the inside?

I am not sure if a person who is conceptually disorganized is aware of this. The person might notice that other people can't seem to understand what he/she is saying. This might be a problem for the person, or not.

If other people have a hard time understanding such a person, other people might just stop trying to communicate. Is this what is wanted? Or, is this a problem.

If other people have a hard time understanding such a person, the person may have a hard time making requests or getting things from other people. Is this a problem jor is this OK?

I don't know if people diagnosed as Schizophrenic, who show a high degree of 'conceptual disorganization' , have been studied from the insider point of view.

PCT/MOL Psychotherapy might be able to make a contribution to what is being accomplished, if anything, by what appears to be 'conceptual disorganization.'

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Powers" <powers_w@FRONTIER.NET>
To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: What's wrong with schizophrenics? (was: Control system description)

[From Bill Powers (2009.05.03.21028 MDT)]

David Goldstein (2009.05.03.10:31 EDT) --

There is a rating scale, called the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS), which contains 16 rating scales that a rater uses to assess someone. Each rating scale has the following levels of severity: not present (0), very mild(1), mild(2), moderate(3), moderately severe(4), severe(5), extremely severe(6).

The 16 scales are: somatic concern, anxiety, emotional withdrawal, conceptual disorganization, guilt feelings, tension, mannerisms and posturing, grandiosity, depressive mood, hostility, suspiciousness, hallucinatory behavior, motor retardation, uncooperativeness, blunted affect, (excitement and disorientation).

Two functions are obtained which describe the individual differences:

This is very interesting, but mostly from the standpoint of showing how very different a PCT approach would be from conventional methods.

You knew I was going to say something like that, didn't you?

Now, how would you go about finding out what the patients' problem is?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2009.05.03.1328 MDT)]

Chris Bory (2009.05.03.1333 EDT) --

BP: Welcome aboard, Chris. How about telling us a little more about how you got here, what you do, and so on?

CB: there is a difference between saying, "someone who holds the diagnosis of schizophrenia" and "a schizophrenic." The former depathologizes the individual and makes the social construct of a diagnosis not the person; only something that the ApA (American Psychiatric Association) labels them with to fit in a specific category. I think starting with this seemingly small difference can help us begin to look at, in PCT terms, what goes on for a person that holds a specific diagnosis.

BP: We think about this very much alike. I think "depathologizing" is a great word which we ought to use frequently. The problem with categorizing, or pathologizing, is that as soon as you put a label on a person, you become less able to see that person as the one right in front of you, and start interpreting everything you see in the light of the category. You're looking at the average of a lot of past experiences with a lot of people, which blinds you to the real person.

When you categorize a Great Dane and a Chihuahua as "dogs", you tend to minimize some glaring differences.

CB: Sometimes, these described phases of �mania� impact other people (i.e., excessive and unrestrained spending), which may lead to others wanting to control this individual�s �mania� (a type of interpersonal arbitrary control).

BP: Yes. Interactions with and effects on other people are legitimate concerns, but they are sociological problems, and have nothing directly to do with therapy. It's hard to keep the two separated, of course.

CB: However, this may only be the case for some individuals. Others may find these so called �manic� phases as extremely unpleasant and not consistent with what they desire, causing internal conflict. So where does this leave us � the socially constructed categories we have developed do not accurately describe an individual�s subjective experience.

BP: Yes, I've known a few manic-diagnoses who hated that wound-up hyper feeling, partly because of dreading what would follow it. The insomnia was a problem, too. For me, when I was very young, the depression was awful but I didn't connect it with the mania so I liked being "up." I don't mind using those words because I know I wasn't "a manic-depressive" or "bipolar." That was just me, and I oscillated in my own way. Most people do have ups and downs, after all. I learned to handle the downs (slowly) and managed to rein in the ups.

CB: I think to follow with what others have said previously, taking an idiographic approach to understanding what specifically is causing the conflict for that specific individual is the only way to try and find the controlled variable and the conflicted goals.

BP: Yes, but I think we should strive for what David Goldstein called the "scientist-practitioner" point of view, or what we call the "MOL attitude." That is, the aim of any exploration with another person is not to show how sharp the therapist is, but to follow pretty much where the client leads. The MOL offers a simple non-committal format as a general guide: look for the background thought, feeling, attitude, whatever. Don't form hypotheses and try to prove they're right. Don't even look specifically for conflicts until the progress up levels bogs down. As long as you can go up, go up. If you get all the way to the top on a given day, call that a complete session and take the client out for lunch. When conflicts do show up, you'll know it, or learn to know it. They usually will show up, so that won't cost you much.

For starters, in looking back at the basic negative feedback loop, the environmental disturbances that impact an individual�s perceptual input specific to an inpatient state psychiatric center may be so overwhelming that whatever they try and to do to control their perceptions, the environmental disturbances are too great. Having some experience working in two different state psychiatric centers, you see the tremendous limitations placed on the individual�s on a locked unit � you are told when to eat, when to shower, when to socialize, when to be quiet, when to take your medication, when to go bed (to name a few) - if you do not do what is expected of you by the �experts� you are viewed as a �being resistant,� which could lead to seclusion, medication sedation, or 4 point restraints if they view you as physically dangerous. I guess the point I�m trying to make is that as a whole, our society�s view and treatment of mental health has a long and difficult history, which is in conflict with the more recent person centered approaches to understanding the individual�s subjective experience, but I believe this is where PCT and MOL can help to begin to make a paradigm shift.

Just my thoughts.

Pretty subversive thoughts, there. Congratulations. Obviously what is being taken away from these patients is control over their own lives. It's hard to see how that would help them (unless they're playing the system and are there on purpose).

Now how can we explain these principles to people who know nothing of PCT? That's the main theme of this thread, or I hope it is. What you've done is circle around some statements of principle concerning diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders. What, exactly, is the PCT position here? I'm not concerned over whether it matches older views or doesn't; the point is to figure out how to say, clearly and non-technically, what PCT leads us to think about human beings. The idea isn't to pick a fight, but just to be clear about what we mean.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2009.05.04;09:45 AM EU ST)]

Hi everybody. It is long time since I participated in CSG. I have been serious ill in most of 2008. I hope I am well again. I feel well and I have found my way back to the PC. Thast’s a good sign, I think.

From Bill Powers (2009.05.02.0400 MDT)

I can sum it up by asking “What’s wrong with a person
who has schizophrenia?” That’s a strange question because what most
people would say is wrong is that the person has schizophrenia. What
I’m asking is specifically what it is, in PCT terms, that a
schizophrenic person wants to control and has difficulty controlling.

I have been teacher for schizophrenics many years ago and I visit a schizophrenic and live with him for about a week some times every year.

I have studied litterature about schizophrenia and I have asked myself how PCT may explain the diagnosis we call schizophrenia.

Refering to PCT, I will not ask the question you asked Bill: “What’s wrong with a person
who has schizophrenia?”. I would sooner ask the question:“what it is, in PCT terms, that a
schizophrenic person wants to control and has difficulty controlling”. I neither like that question, because I think all people and animals control their perceptions with reference to their references… And I think different schizoprenetics have problems controlling different perceptions, just as you and me. And I think many schizophrenetics have problems controlling their perceptions with reference to the reference signal because of conflicts on different HPCT levels, just as you and me.

When people control their perceptions they 1. perceive a happening or object having its input from “the world out there” (they hear mother say “Don’t wear those pants today!”)(bottom-up perspective). The input quantity cause a perception signal that goes both to a comparator and to higher levels Input functions. The higher levels perceptual signals also go to different comparators and some of them send error signals to output functions that becomes reference signals for lower levels. This is what happens when all people (also shizophrenics) control their perceptions. with reference to their reference signals.

or 2. They wish to perceive an experience (they wish to see a film on the cinema)( top-down perspective). The reference signal function together witp perceptual signals at different levels and some muscles move the person to the cinema. This is what happens when all people (also shizophrenics) control their perceptions with reference to their reference signal.

When ordinary people like you and me control our perceptions it happens we experience conflicts. Schizophrenics also experience conflicts.

When I work with PCT to show on the PC how different perceptions are controlled relative to the reference signals , I use different delay and gain values (play with Rick’s hier.exe). It is important to use correct values to avoid undesireable oscilations.

This is an area within PCT where I am not clever enough. And I am greateful for comments if my thinking is wrong.

I think that different people may have irregularities in the docking areas for transmitters, or they have other transmitters working at a type of receptors different from what is normal (In the same way that nicotine works as one type of receptors that is normally reserved for the transmitter acetylcholine).

Irregularities in the reseptor/transmitter make the neurons used to artificiall high levels of chemicals and I think that

is the brain side of too high or too low values of delay and gain. This leads to give different reference values unfortunately values. For example hearing some voices and not just remembering them, delusions, disorganized speach and odd behavior.

I have experienced when a group have finnished talking about a subject A and have been talking about a subject B for a while, then the schizophreic suddenly comments subject A w3ith a comment that is meaningless for the others talking about subject B. This is experienced as strange for the other members in the group. Maybe it is a kind of delay in the schizophrenic brain?

When the schizoprenic man I know hear voices that I call hallucinations he leaves the room where other people are talking. He knows that the other people don’t hear the voice, but for one or another reason he “must” listen to the voice. And his behavior is characterized of “listening” to the voice. Here I think he experience a conflict that is not solved. A conflict between joining the group or “listen” to the voice.

I would like to hear other in the group comment my thoughts about delay and gain.

bjorn

[From Bill Powers (2009.05.04.0059 MD)]

David Goldstein (2009.05.03.14:38 EDT)]

DG: Applying PCT ideas to this, one can ask: What is conceptual disorganization in PCT terms?

The point of reviewing the BPRS results is to show what others have found to describe people with personal problems. The BPRS has been used in many countries around the world. The same two contrast functions show up in all
the data. Why ignore these results?

You're right that I just sort of skipped over those descriptions. Now that you ask, I realize that I don't recognize them as descriptions of someone's behavior-- they're more like unsystematic descriptions of how an observer reacted to the person. "Hallucination" is used as a pejorative term, as if there is automatically something wrong with a person who is vividly imagining something. "Conceptual disorganization" and "unusual thought content" could describe anyone from James Joyce to Ted Bundy to Albert Einstein. These words show me mainly that the observer hasn't a clue about what he or she is looking at or hearing, and hasn't made much of a try at understanding it.

PCT takes the insider point of view. If to an outsider, a person is coming across as conceptually disorganized (defined by the BPRS as 'thought processes confused, disconnected, disorganized, disrupted), what might be going on in the inside?

I don't think there's any way to get from these adjectives to a picture of what the person actually did or said, or what was going on inside. While there might be agreement about the adjectives, all that means is that the observers agree that they couldn't make any sense out of the person's behavior. These words describe subjective reactions in the observer, not anything about the person observed. A conservative thinks that a liberal's thought processes are confused or disorganized or disconnected just because they don't fit into the conservative framework or follow from conservative assumptions. But that's about all you can say -- you can't get any information about how the liberal sees things just from hearing the conservative emit adjectives.

I guess I skipped this part of your post because I try to avoid always seeming so negative about what conventional psychologists have achieved. It gets monotonous for me, too. But I think the truth is that the "BPRS" that you describe is probably useless as a way of finding out what is wrong with a person, regardless of how many people use it. If they use it because so many other people use it, all that tells us is that some people don't want to be different. It doesn't say that BPRS is actually useful. It just says that a lot of people use it. Most people thought the Earth was flat, once. Does that mean it used to be flat?

I am not sure if a person who is conceptually disorganized is aware of this. The person might notice that other people can't seem to understand what he/she is saying. This might be a problem for the person, or not.

But suppose the disorganization is just as likely to be a problem inside the other people. The fact that they can't see any organization in the person's communication might be the result of not having made any attempt to find out what the person means. I get this impression about psychological descriptions of disorders quite frequently; the observer is so wrapped up in his own world view or cultural prejudices that he doesn't even realize that things might make more sense from the other person's point of view.

If other people have a hard time understanding such a person, other people might just stop trying to communicate. Is this what is wanted? Or, is this a problem.

If other people have a hard time understanding such a person, the person may have a hard time making requests or getting things from other people. Is this a problem jor is this OK?

I don't know if people diagnosed as Schizophrenic, who show a high degree of 'conceptual disorganization' , have been studied from the insider point of view.

I think that when the therapist take the trouble to explore the schizophrenic's world from the other's point of view, the internal logic quite often might be grasped. There may be no conceptual disorganization at all (except in the most extreme cases); my guess would be that there is hardly ever any such thing. How are things in Seraneb? How goes it with the Crystopeds? (I've forgotten the book that came from). Or, does it bother you to have the FBI working against you? Is it hard being Christ in the modern world? If you just throw up your hands and cry "conceptual disorganization", what have you learned about your patient? You certainly haven't said anything that could lead us to a PCT interpretation.

PCT/MOL Psychotherapy might be able to make a contribution to what is being accomplished, if anything, by what appears to be 'conceptual disorganization.'

First you have to convince me that your inability to grasp the ordering principles behind another person's behavior means that person is disorganized. If you're asking MOL questions about some assumed problem that is not actually present, you won't get far. We're really talking about two basically different approaches to understanding mental problems. Descriptions from the external point of view are more about the observer than the observed; the PCT/MOL descriptions are attempts to grasp the insider view, as you put it, but more than that, they are based on a systematic underlying model that is totally missing from the conventional approach. While we can't go overboard in assuming the correctness of the underlying model, at least that orientation helps us get outside the boundaries of a purely subjective way of reacting to unusual behavior, which is what I see in most "diagnoses."

Best,

Bill P.

[From David Goldstein (2009.05.04.05:51)]

BP: While there might be agreement about the adjectives, all that means is that the observers agree that they couldn't make any sense out of the person's behavior. These words describe subjective reactions in the observer, not anything about the person observed.

DG: If a group of people, who are judged to be high in 'conceptual disorganization', were studied in depth by a PCT/MOL approach, and progress could be made in understanding them better, this would have a big impact on the world of people who make their living working with such people.

The BPRS is simply a tool for describing other people from the outside viewpoint. It is not trying to say what is going on inside the person. From an outside point of view, people who are diagnosed as Schizophrenia, are perceived as showing more conceptual disorganization, more hallucinations, and more unuusal thought content than most folks.

It would be interesting to teach Schizophrenics to use the BPRS to describe other people. If the BPRS is telling us about the observer, not the observed, than having them apply it to describing other people, might tell us about them.

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Powers" <powers_w@FRONTIER.NET>
To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 4:24 AM
Subject: Re: What's wrong with schizophrenics? (was: Control system description)

David Goldstein (2009.05.03.14:38 EDT)]

The point of reviewing the BPRS results is to show what others have found to describe people with personal problems. The BPRS has been used in many countries around the world. The same two contrast functions show up in all
the data. Why ignore these results?

You're right that I just sort of skipped over those descriptions. Now that you ask, I realize that I don't recognize them as descriptions of someone's behavior-- they're more like unsystematic descriptions of how an observer reacted to the person. "Hallucination" is used as a pejorative term, as if there is automatically something wrong with a person who is vividly imagining something. "Conceptual disorganization" and "unusual thought content" could describe anyone from James Joyce to Ted Bundy to Albert Einstein. These words show me mainly that the observer hasn't a clue about what he or she is looking at or hearing, and hasn't made much of a try at understanding it.

I don't think there's any way to get from these adjectives to a picture of what the person actually did or said, or what was going on inside. While there might be agreement about the adjectives, all that means is that the observers agree that they couldn't make any sense out of the person's behavior. These words describe subjective reactions in the observer, not anything about the person observed. A conservative thinks that a liberal's thought processes are confused or disorganized or disconnected just because they don't fit into the conservative framework or follow from conservative assumptions. But that's about all you can say -- you can't get any information about how the liberal sees things just from hearing the conservative emit adjectives.

I guess I skipped this part of your post because I try to avoid always seeming so negative about what conventional psychologists have achieved. It gets monotonous for me, too. But I think the truth is that the "BPRS" that you describe is probably useless as a way of finding out what is wrong with a person, regardless of how many people use it. If they use it because so many other people use it, all that tells us is that some people don't want to be different. It doesn't say that BPRS is actually useful. It just says that a lot of people use it. Most people thought the Earth was flat, once. Does that mean it used to be flat?

But suppose the disorganization is just as likely to be a problem inside the other people. The fact that they can't see any organization in the person's communication might be the result of not having made any attempt to find out what the person means. I get this impression about psychological descriptions of disorders quite frequently; the observer is so wrapped up in his own world view or cultural prejudices that he doesn't even realize that things might make more sense from the other person's point of view.

I think that when the therapist take the trouble to explore the schizophrenic's world from the other's point of view, the internal logic quite often might be grasped. There may be no conceptual disorganization at all (except in the most extreme cases); my guess would be that there is hardly ever any such thing. How are things in Seraneb? How goes it with the Crystopeds? (I've forgotten the book that came from). Or, does it bother you to have the FBI working against you? Is it hard being Christ in the modern world? If you just throw up your hands and cry "conceptual disorganization", what have you learned about your patient? You certainly haven't said anything that could lead us to a PCT interpretation.

First you have to convince me that your inability to grasp the ordering principles behind another person's behavior means that person is disorganized. If you're asking MOL questions about some assumed problem that is not actually present, you won't get far. We're really talking about two basically different approaches to understanding mental problems. Descriptions from the external point of view are more about the observer than the observed; the PCT/MOL descriptions are attempts to grasp the insider view, as you put it, but more than that, they are based on a systematic underlying model that is totally missing from the conventional approach. While we can't go overboard in assuming the correctness of the underlying model, at least that orientation helps us get outside the boundaries of a purely subjective way of reacting to unusual behavior, which is what I see in most "diagnoses."

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2009.05.04.0506 MDT)]

David Goldstein (2009.05.04.05:51) --

DG: If a group of people, who are judged to be high in 'conceptual disorganization', were studied in depth by a PCT/MOL approach, and progress could be made in understanding them better, this would have a big impact on the world of people who make their living working with such people.

BP: That may be true. However, I see no way to get from those adjectives to anything identifiable about a person's internal organization. As you say,

DG: The BPRS is simply a tool for describing other people from the outside viewpoint. It is not trying to say what is going on inside the person.

BP: That is why it isn't helpful for the present purposes. We would need to study all people in the group individually as if they had not been diagnosed schizophrenic -- in fact, not knowing the diagnosis would be preferable, as the diagnosis would tend to bias the observer.

Given a set of people who have been diagnosed as schizophrenic, we could indeed study them in depth with a PCT/MOL methodology. This would show us what each person in that group considers problematic, and would reveal a structure of control processes in each person. If a substantial number of people in this group proved to have the same structure of problems, the BPRS assessment might be vindicated (but see below) and we might be able to define schizophrenia as a real systemic condition. However, knowing the typical kinds of results one gets from such assessments, I consider such a happy outcome highly unlikely. It would be more likely that a wide range of different control problems would come into view with very little in common among them. I would expect these problems to be found in any group randomly selected from the general population. Finally, even if some common problems were identifiable, I would expect them to be present in the general population, too. We would then draw the conclusion that schizophrenia is an artificial category the members of which happen to share a particular set of problems which are otherwise unrelated to each other (as hair color and shoe size are unrelated, even though we could form a category of all red-headed size 10s, who suffer from "decirubia").

DG: From an outside point of view, people who are diagnosed as Schizophrenia, are perceived as showing more conceptual disorganization, more hallucinations, and more unuusal thought content than most folks.

BP: Again, that may be true, but does it imply that there is a disease entity underlying this conjunction of symptoms? In any randomly selected subpopulation, individuals will show one or more of these symptoms. Just by chance, some will show a significant number of them, and will be categorized as schizophrenic. Does this mean that there is some one thing wrong with this subgroup, or is the subgroup selected simply on the basis of showing each of the defining but unrelated symptoms? Is schizophrenia simply an example of decirubia?

The answer to that would not matter to us, since we are trying to find out directly what is wrong with each person, if anything, regardless of diagnostic category. A person may hallucinate and not be deluded, or vice versa. Or a person may hallucinate beautiful (or awful) music and then write it down as a score, and have no problems at all. That would be of little interest, except as valid examples of the imagination connection at work.

DG: It would be interesting to teach Schizophrenics to use the BPRS to describe other people. If the BPRS is telling us about the observer, not the observed, than having them apply it to describing other people, might tell us about them.

BP: That's just projective testing, and it doesn't matter what vehicle is used, so there's nothing special the BPRS would tell anyone, just as there's nothing special about an ink-blot. I answer you seriously though I suspect you're pulling my leg. That's all right, you're forgiven.

The basic problem with the BPRS is that the terms are vague and general and are undefined except by general usage. What is an "unusual" thought? A brilliant stroke of genius is unusual, isn't it? What is wrong with showing resistance and rejecting authority (number 14, uncooperativeness) when interrogated by a self-important twerp of an intern?

And I love number 15 on the list you sent: Unusual Thought Content (unusual, odd, strange, bizarre thought content). Isn't that about what your average behaviorist or neuroscientist would think about someone who believes in PCT?

I can see each of the 16 items as occurring whether or not any of the other 15 is present. That list is just a grab-bag of opinions about other people, and any could be considered quite justifiable under the right circumstances. All of them expose a kind of arrogance, at least unconscious arrogance, that is shown by the language which applies the observer's own standards and interpretations as if they were simply reports of objective conditions. What is the objective definition of an "exaggerated" self-opinion (number 8), say in the Pope?

Would you score numbers 1 and 2 high on the scale of schizophrenia for people who (unbeknownst to the tester) have discovered they have cancer?

001 Somatic Concern (preoccupation with physical health, fear of physical illness, hypochondriasis)
002 Anxiety (worry, fear, over-concern for present or future)

When does focusing on physical health, as after an airplane accident or a brain operation, become "preoccupation?" When does anxiety about losing a job become "over-concern" for present or future?. If you're a tough guy you'll consider any Somatic Concern or Anxiety as a sign of poor mental condition, whereas if you're a psychiatrist interviewing a hostile muscular 300-pound detainee in the lockup, you might find those conditions quite understandable and normal.

The only thing that relates these 16 items to pathology is the unspoken background thought that we're dealing here with some kind of wierdo. He's here because he's nuts, and he's nuts because he's here. Once you decide what kind of person this is, you can put the appropriate innuendos into each of the adjectives and bolster your preselected diagnosis. You can say that this twisted, physically bizzarre, hypersensitive, overconfident person who is trying to explain the basic realities of Black Holes is a deluded hallucinating wreck, or you can decide it's just Steven Hawking and he's not only OK, but admirable. How you score a person depends on your mind-set going into the diagnosis. Those 16 items give you plenty of scope.

We really have to choose between a PCT approach and the conventional approaches.

Best,

Bill P.

BjS: Hi everybody. It is long
time since I participated in CSG. I have been serious ill in most of
2008. I hope I am well again. I feel well and I have found my way back to
the PC. That’s a good sign, I think.
[From Bill Powers (2009.05.04.0715 MDT)]

Bjorn Simonsen (2009.05.04;09:45
AM EU ST ) –

I certainly hope you are well again. You should have let your friends
know.

… I think different schizoprenetics
have problems controlling different perceptions, just as you and me. And
I think many schizophrenetics have problems controlling their perceptions
with reference to the reference signal because of conflicts on different
HPCT levels, just as you and me.

I agree with you. However there are certain symptoms which are so severe
that one has to think of damage to the brain.

When I work with PCT to show on the
PC how different perceptions are controlled relative to the reference
signals , I use different delay and gain values (play with Rick’s
hier.exe). It is important to use correct values to avoid undesireable
oscilations.

This is an area within PCT where I am not clever enough. And I am
greateful for comments if my thinking is wrong.

I think that different people may
have irregularities in the docking areas for transmitters, or they have
other transmitters working at a type of receptors different from what is
normal (In the same way that nicotine works as one type of receptors that
is normally reserved for the transmitter acetylcholine).

Irregularities in the reseptor/transmitter make the neurons used to
artificiall high levels of chemicals and I think that is the brain
side of too high or too low values of delay and gain. This leads to give
different reference values unfortunately values. For example hearing some
voices and not just remembering them, delusions, disorganized speach and
odd behavior

I don’t give much weight to the neurotransmitter interpretations. The
problem is that neuroscientists stop looking for causes as soon as they
come to a neurotransmitter, and they fail to ask what is causing the
neurotransmitter to be excessive or deficient. In your laptop computer,
when some programs show a problem, you may find that the CPU chip gets
very hot (in mine, you can hear the fan speed up). Such problems might
involve a program loop that is causing computations to occur continuously
at maximum speed, which accounts for the temperature rise. But if you
didn’t know anything about the program, you might simply conclude that
the temperature rise caused the CPU to malfunction. That’s about where
neuroscience is today. They know a lot about neurons, but hardly anything
about the brain as a whole system, or even what it does.

I have experienced when a group have
finnished talking about a subject A and have been talking about a
subject B for a while, then the schizophreic suddenly comments subject A
w3ith a comment that is meaningless for the others talking about subject
B. This is experienced as strange for the other members in the group.
Maybe it is a kind of delay in the schizophrenic
brain?

That would be a testable idea. That’s really the sort of thing I hope PCT
can contribute some day.

When the schizoprenic man I know
hear voices that I call hallucinations he leaves the room where other
people are talking. He knows that the other people don’t hear the voice,
but for one or another reason he “must” listen to the voice.
And his behavior is characterized of “listening” to the voice.
Here I think he experience a conflict that is not solved. A conflict
between joining the group or “listen” to the
voice.

Right, or even a conflict about what the voice is saying. But none of
this shows that the hallucination itself is a problem. He is
hallucinating very competently. The problems all arise because of what he
thinks about having the hallucination, or because of what he thinks about
the specific things he is hearing in imagination, or because he can’t
stop the hallucinations. In MOL we would just help him explore the
hallucinations as a phenomenon, finding out what there is about them that
bothers him, how they are different from ordinary imagining (if they
are). All of the problems are at levels higher than the hallucinations
themselves, which are merely vividly imagined perceptions.

Delay and gain might well have something to do with a particular person’s
problems, in that they can lead to oscillations and inability to control.
But we can address such problems directly, without having to go through
diagnostic categories.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2009.05.04.21:20 PM EU ST)]

From Bill Powers (2009.05.04.0715 MDT)

···

I don’t give much weight to the neurotransmitter interpretations.

The problem is that neuroscientists stop looking for causes as
soon as they come to a neurotransmitter, and they fail to ask

what is causing the neurotransmitter to be excessive or deficient.

I know less about neurtransmitters than you and many others but I know that a common neurotransmitter is acetylcholine. I have read that neuroscientists have done experiments where they have studied the effect of smoking sigarettes. In short the results tell us that the nicotine reaches the brain and the EEG changes within 10 seconds. The EEG change indicate a less relaxed mode.

The nicotine takes the place that acetylcholine has. Nicotine is a stronger chemical than acetylcholine and the receptors become less and less sensitive as they are stimulated far more than they normally be by acetylcholine.

This example with nicotine is not what engage me. It is the story that transmitters can be replaced and in this way make parts of the brain more or less sensitive. And if this happpens, the way people control their perceptions are affected.

It is also interesting what the EEG tells us about a change into a less relaxed mode. I think (I don’t know) that schizoprenics change into a less relaxed mode when they e.g. hear voives.

In your laptop computer, when some programs show a problem,
you may find that the CPU chip gets very hot (in mine, you can
hear the fan speed up). Such problems might involve a program
loop that is causing computations to occur continuously at maximum
speed, which accounts for the temperature rise. But if you didn’t
know anything about the program, you might simply conclude that
the temperature rise caused the CPU to malfunction. That’s about
where neuroscience is today. They know a lot about neurons,
but hardly anything about the brain as a whole system, or even what it does.

I know that neuroscientists don’t know much about the brain as a whole system, but they do what they call science and I thing it is of great value to read what they do and express the results in a PCT way.

bjorn

[David Goldstein (2009.05.06.05:00 EDT)]

People with this diagnosis have:
people relationship problems
problems functioning in a work situation (earning a living).
problems in everyday skills needed to take care of oneself
Of course, these functioning issues aren't unique to people diagnosed with
Schizophrenia.

Psychotherapy talk seems to help with some of these more practical issues as
shown in a study done in 2005, of which I am attaching a summary.
Whether MOL Psychotherapy would be as helpful, or more helpful, remains to
be seen. Medication is not the whole answer or the only answer.
Medication is usually given credit for allowing people with this diagnosis
to live outside of hospitals and in the community.

Support for the idea that their brains (frontal lobes) are working
differently in a way that relates to the kinds of variables identified by
the BPRS
is shown by the second attachment I am including.

If we had a set of PCT tests, like pursuit or compensatory tracking, which
measured how well a person controls perceptions at different levels, we
might find out
what aspects of perception a person with this diagnosis has trouble
controlling. Short of this, we are still at the level of verbal 'blah, blah,
blah.' And we have to
rely on tests like BPRS, which doesn't tell us what is going on inside.

Of course, talking to a person about what they are experiencing when they
are behaving, including showing some symptoms visible to an observer, might
provide some clues about what they are controlling, if anything, by the
symptoms.

583842006-001.pdf (28 KB)

1744-9081-2-23.pdf (238 KB)

···

----- Original Message -----