2005 Conference in Pittsburgh?

[From Kenny Kitzke (2004.08.19)]

I had volunteered to be on the Conference Site Committee and to look into the possibilities in Pittsburgh.

My original idea, for perhaps a change of pace, was to hold the conference at one of the ski resorts about an hour’s + drive from Pittsburgh. A rural site with natural beauty and away from the hustle and bustle of the city itself. They have nice conference centers and I supposed that in the summer we could get a really inexpensive booking.

I have talked with the two major resorts and was disappointed in two aspects. The prices were not low. They are more resort-like commercial prices and well above what we are used to spending. I think they have added summer activities such as water slides, sports, etc., to make it a summer vacation attraction. Plus, with reduced summer occupancy rates, the cafeterias which are open in the winter are not in the summer. So, you would have to go to restaurants in the resorts or down the road for meals. I think that nixes that idea.

Instead, I began investigating in-city colleges. This gives the dorm-type accommodations (without phones, TVs or private bathrooms) and the cafeterias we are more acquainted with at far more reasonable prices.

The first school I contacted was Duquesne University. There was a special reason for this. I was aware from a friend who is a therapist that DU was one (perhaps the only one) of the few USA schools who taught the “phenomenology” theory of psychology (neither behaviorism nor cognitive psychology) and, from my description of PCT, this friend saw some similarities in the theories.

Second, the former Dean of the Business School was my mentor in Quality Management and I thought that might provide some leverage in costs or conveniences. He was also high in the US Department of Commerce and might be interested in some of our Economics perspectives.

This led me to another thought that I would like some feedback on. Why not see if the Psychology Department would host our CSG Conference? It became clear that this would save money. We could get a reduced room rate and probably a premium conference meeting room/lecture hall for free with their involvement.

But, is this wise? Has the CSG ever done this before? Would we like some new attendees (professors or students) who may be politely hostile to PCT, preferring their phenomenology theory? I would insist this still be primarily a PCT based conference with no more than one or two presenters from the DU Psychology Department, if any at all. Perhaps they would just like to hear a different POV and offer critique?

So, I talked with a Professor Walsh, and sent him some information about the CSG and our Conference format. He plans to present it to his “Committee” for DU hosted/sponsored conferences on September 8. Hopefully, we can hone in on the possibility and its financial and conceptual consequences shortly after that.

Similarly, if any of you have concerns or like this approach, your feedback would be most helpful to me. If you have not ever been to Pittsburgh you will probably be pleasantly surprised. It is more environmentally clean than LA or Denver. It has rivers and hills right downtown with cable cars like San Fran. There is some nice cultural stuff as Pittsburgh was the third largest Fortune 500 HQ city when I moved here in the 1960s (not so any more). Also, the new Pirates stadium is as good as they get and will host the All-star game in a couple of years. Perhaps we can get a group together to attend an afternoon game?

Well, that is where I stand. I will be happy to welcome you all to my “burg” and host the 2005 CSG Conference. OTOH, I, naturally would be more interested in heading for Philadelphia. Oh, these darn conflicts in reference perceptions!

[From Bill Powers (2004.08.19.1423 MDT)]

Kenny Kitzke (2004.08.19)–

This led me to another thought that
I would like some feedback on. Why not see if the Psychology
Department would host our CSG Conference? It became clear that this
would save money. We could get a reduced room rate and probably a
premium conference meeting room/lecture hall for free with their
involvement.

We did this once before, at Arizona State University in Flagstaff.One
main advantage was that the sponsoring department took care of the
insurance angle (the first time that had ever come up). As it turned out,
the organizer from a guest group fell down on the job and there were some
glitches (like a lousy banquet), but after Mary set things straight the
meeting was fine.

But, is this wise? Has the
CSG ever done this before? Would we like some new attendees
(professors or students) who may be politely hostile to PCT, preferring
their phenomenology theory? I would insist this still be primarily
a PCT based conference with no more than one or two presenters from the
DU Psychology Department, if any at all. Perhaps they would just
like to hear a different POV and offer critique?

I would welcome a few presenters from outside the CSG – in the
past, outside presenters have sometimes proven disastrous (as at Boston,
you will recall), but it might work out if you would ask the
phenomenologists for a presentation giving a critique of PCT and its
possible relationship to their field. And of course, supply them with
some reading material (which the CSG will pay for, I presume). We could
have a sort of Open House day with visitors welcome.

So, I talked with a Professor
Walsh, and sent him some information about the CSG and our Conference
format. He plans to present it to his “Committee” for DU
hosted/sponsored conferences on September 8. Hopefully, we can hone
in on the possibility and its financial and conceptual consequences
shortly after that.

Sounds good. David Goldstein has found a place in New Jersey (you saw
that on CSGnet, too, I guess). It seemed a bit pricey, but let’s wait and
see what your approach costs. It will be nice to have a choice that
people can vote on (pretty soon, I hope).

If you have not ever been to
Pittsburgh you will probably be pleasantly surprised. It is more
environmentally clean than LA or Denver.

I have been there both Before and After. The After was pretty amazing –
all the smoke was gone and the skies were clear. Of course all the jobs
were gone, too, but that’s happening everywhere. I’d like to see it again
and spend some time there. The first time I was actually in the city, in
the '60s, I was at a science-fiction conference debating with John W.
Campbell, Jr. on the subject “What is science?” About halfway
through, with John breezing to an easy win (he never stopped talking),
Isaac Asimov came roaring down the aisle, shouting, “Hi, John,
what’s going on?” That sort of altered the agenda. What fun! Outside
the hall, at midday, you could hardly see across the street, or
breathe.

Perhaps we can get a group together
to attend an afternoon game?

Perfect! I’ve always said that shortstops and second-basemen are the best
control systems you can find. Be good to do some field
observations.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Kenny Kitzke (2004.08.19.2030 EDT)]

<Bill Powers (2004.08.19.1423 MDT)>

Bill, thanks for that background and your perspective. I really can’t imagine a CSG conference without you. So, just thinking you might actually enjoy a trip back to Pittsburgh will encourage me to pursue this further, with or without Duquesne University hosting.

The Conference Co-ordinator admitted that DU was new to this use of their facilities. This could have some drawbacks. But, it could also have some pluses as Dorothy is trying hard to establish this as a new revenue enhancer that justifies her job!

<We did this once before, at Arizona State University in Flagstaff.One main advantage was that the sponsoring department took care of the insurance angle (the first time that had ever come up). As it turned out, the organizer from a guest group fell down on the job and there were some glitches (like a lousy banquet), but after Mary set things straight the meeting was fine.

I’ll be darned. That was my first CSG conference. And, you may recall that my son Christopher (who worked for me then) came along and we actually came to your home the night before. I don’t recall any involvement from ASU, or any glitches, so I guess Mary did make it seem seamless to a couple of first timers who had few expectations/references for a CSG Conference.

That Conference was a memorable experience for another reason, but not a nice one. It was walking up from the cliff dwellers (Anastasi Indians?) homes that I had to tell my son I could not make it up fast enough to catch the last tram. I had to stop and rest. My legs felt like lead. It was the first sign that diabetes had entered my world of perception. I did not understand it then, but have since “reorganized.”

[From Kenny Kitzke (2004.09.10)]

I am sorry to report that Duquesne University (Psychology Department) has turned down my request to host our 2005 Conference.

I am away in Charlottesville, VA this week. When I return to Pittsburgh, I plan to contact Seton Hill. I know the head of the college socially, so will take a shot there. SH is not in the city like DU. It is about 30 miles east, in the town of Greensburg, actually just eight miles south of where I live.

It would still allow a visit to Pittsburgh for activities like a Pirates game in what many say is the best ball park in the USA yet should be within our typical budget limits.

If that falls through, I will still search for a low cost venue with no connection to our conference, but I am not optimistic for a great place at a low cost. We still have Philadelphia as an alternative and I believe I will have answers about Pittsburgh by the time David Goldstein has an opportunity to firm up his suggested venue (which I think he said would be first in October).

Kenny

[From Kenny Kitzke (2004.09.10)]

I am sorry to report that Duquesne University (Psychology
Department) has turned down my request to host our 2005 Conference.

I am away in Charlottesville, VA this week. When I return to
Pittsburgh, I plan to contact Seton Hill. I know the head of the
college socially, so will take a shot there. SH is not in the city
like DU. It is about 30 miles east, in the town of Greensburg,
actually just eight miles south of where I live.

It would still allow a visit to Pittsburgh for activities like a
Pirates game in what many say is the best ball park in the USA yet
should be within our typical budget limits.

If that falls through, I will still search for a low cost venue with
no connection to our conference, but I am not optimistic for a great
place at a low cost. We still have Philadelphia as an alternative
and I believe I will have answers about Pittsburgh by the time David
Goldstein has an opportunity to firm up his suggested venue (which I
think he said would be first in October).

Kenny

This somewhat off the top of my head, but when we were looking for a
place to hold our three-week music camp, one place we looked at was a
kind of retreat location in the countryside not too far from Toronto
airport. It's not too expensive (I've forgotten the actual prices
quoted, but they worked very well for us). They can host up to about
80 people comfortably, which I think is adequate for CSG purposes.

If you are interested, look at <http://www.crieffhills.com/&gt;\. If you
then want to look further into the possibility, I can act as
intermediary, as I had quite a bit of contact with the manager, and I
think we parted on good terms when our music group decided to go
elsewhere.

Martin