A Couple of Useful Questions

[From Fred Nickols (2009.09.09.1454 EDT)]

I have come upon what I believe are a couple of useful
questions related to PCT and, presumably, to MOL.

One question is this: “What reference signal is
out of kilter such that behavior (X) serves to restore it (i.e., eliminate the
error)?” I find it a useful question in pondering and reflecting
upon my own behavior and trying to make sense of it.

I also find it helpful to ask a related question: “And
what event or occurrence caused that reference signal to get out of kilter?”

These two questions provide me with helpful insights into my
own behavior and events related to it. I don’t think they’d
be particularly useful to a “guide” or to an “explorer”
– unless that explorer also happened to be well-versed in PCT. The
language is too arcane for everyday use.

The questions also prompt me to ask a question about “self”
in relation to the levels of the hierarchy. Let’s suppose that I
want to and do see myself as “potent,” as a “force to be
reckoned with,” or some other indicator of a powerful person. Let’s
suppose also that my boss publicly humiliates me. My sense of potency has
been dashed. There then follow various behaviors on my part that serve to
restore my view of myself as a potent, powerful person. Where in the hierarchy
do these kinds of reference signals exist? “Principles” doesn’t
feel right. I guess what I’m asking is at what level of the hierarchy
are to be found those reference signals that, collectively, define me, my
identity, my persona?

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Managing
Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

nickols@att.net

www.nickols.us

740-504-0000

“Assistance at a
Distance”SM

[From Bill Powers (2009.09.09.1411 MDT)]

Fred Nickols (2009.09.09.1454 EDT) --

FN: I have come upon what I believe are a couple of useful questions related to PCT and, presumably, to MOL.

One question is this: �What reference signal is out of kilter such that behavior (X) serves to restore it (i.e., eliminate the error)?� I find it a useful question in pondering and reflecting upon my own behavior and trying to make sense of it.

I also find it helpful to ask a related question: �And what event or occurrence caused that reference signal to get out of kilter?�

BP: The second question is less important than the first, since any number of different disturbances (together or one at a time) can cause the same error.

The first question is at the heart of MOL, once you get attention on the right level. A kid might be frustrated because he can't get two pieces of toy railroad track to stay together no matter how hard he pushes or how he props them up. But that's the wrong level, because he has one of the track sections backward and needs to turn it around. The pushing and propping aren't going to help.

FN: These two questions provide me with helpful insights into my own behavior and events related to it. I don�t think they�d be particularly useful to a �guide� or to an �explorer� � unless that explorer also happened to be well-versed in PCT. The language is too arcane for everyday use.

BP: While an MOL guide may think in technical terms sometimes, most of the time he or she just picks up what the explorer is saying and uses those terms in communicating with the explorer. I'd ask the kid, "Are you getting anywhere?"

FN: The questions also prompt me to ask a question about �self� in relation to the levels of the hierarchy. Let�s suppose that I want to and do see myself as �potent,� as a �force to be reckoned with,� or some other indicator of a powerful person. Let�s suppose also that my boss publicly humiliates me. My sense of potency has been dashed. There then follow various behaviors on my part that serve to restore my view of myself as a potent, powerful person. Where in the hierarchy do these kinds of reference signals exist? �Principles� doesn�t feel right. I guess what I�m asking is at what level of the hierarchy are to be found those reference signals that, collectively, define me, my identity, my persona?

BP: Why don't principles feel right? A principle is a generalization rather than any specific program, yet maintaining a principle requires adjusting which programs are being used, and how. I wouldn't stop there, however. I'd ask what you get out of seeing yourself as potent and powerful. Or maybe I'd ask how you know when you're being those things. The explorer takes the lead and paddles the canoe; the guide just steers.

Best,

Bill P.