A New Unified Theory of Psychology

[From Dag Forssell (2016 05.26 10:10 PST)]
I have uploaded Perceptual Control Theory an overview of the third grand theory of psychology to Google Books, and at my account it says it is online. So I went to search for it on Google Books, wanting to get the link. It is still not there, but Google’s algoritms led me to A New Unified Theory of Psychology by Gregg Henriques.

That title sounded much like what we are about, so I went to Amazon and then Google books for a closer look. Creating a file with screen shots at Google Books preview, I could see the TOC and Chapter 1. It shows that Powers PCT has its own heading in chapter 3. But I could not see more than a few snippets of that.

I have now had a chance to peruse the book and scan chapter 3 as well as the preface.

Powers is essentially dismissed in two pages in chapter 3, and the PCT formulation of control is improved upon in the subsequent treatment. This work fits nicely with the Devil’s Bibliography.

As the only enlightened review at Amazon says, there is no Unified Theory in the book.

While the effort may be commendable, the preface shows that the author is full of himself:

“As a licensed professional psychologist, professor, and director of a doctoral program that combines Clinical and School Psychology, I wear a number of different hats. I am a clinician, researcher, educator, supervisor, and administrator. I am also a theorist and something of a philosopher. This book is written from my perspective as an educator, clinician, and theorist.”

I can forward my file from screenshots of Google Books, Chapter 3, and Preface to those interested. That will be Henriques.zip 8 MB.

Best, Dag

I have uploaded Perceptual Control Theory an overview of the third grand theory of psychology to Google Books, and at my account it says it is online. So I went to search for it on Google Books, wanting to get the link. It is still not there, but Google's algoritms led me to A New Unified Theory of Psychology by Gregg Henriques.

That title sounded much like what we are about, so I went to Amazon and then Google books for a closer look. Creating a file with screen shots at Google Books preview, I could see the TOC and Chapter 1. It shows that Powers PCT has its own heading in chapter 3. But I could not see more than a few snippets of that.

I have now had a chance to peruse the book and scan chapter 3 as well as the preface.

Powers is essentially dismissed in two pages in chapter 3, and the PCT formulation of control is improved upon in the subsequent treatment. This work fits nicely with the Devil's Bibliography.

As the only enlightened review at Amazon says, there is no Unified Theory in the book.

While the effort may be commendable, the preface shows that the author is full of himself:

"As a licensed professional psychologist, professor, and director of a doctoral program that combines Clinical and School Psychology, I wear a number of different hats. I am a clinician, researcher, educator, supervisor, and administrator. I am also a theorist and something of a philosopher. This book is written from my perspective as an educator, clinician, and theorist."

I can forward my file from screenshots of Google Books, Chapter 3, and Preface to those interested. That will be Henriques.zip 8 MB.

Best, Dag

I’m glad that you stumbled into that, Dag. This is an important topic now and also to address at the conference, finding ways to respond to such references to Dad and PCT.

*barb

···

On May 26, 2016 11:13 AM, “Dag Forssell” csgarchive@pctresources.com wrote:

I have uploaded Perceptual Control Theory an overview of the third grand theory of psychology to Google Books, and at my account it says it is online. So I went to search for it on Google Books, wanting to get the link. It is still not there, but Google’s algoritms led me to A New Unified Theory of Psychology by Gregg Henriques.

Powers is essentially dismissed in two pages in chapter 3, and the PCT formulation of control is improved upon in the subsequent treatment. This work fits nicely with the Devil’s Bibliography.

“As a licensed professional psychologist, professor, and director of a doctoral program that combines Clinical and School Psychology, I wear a number of different hats. I am a clinician, researcher, educator, supervisor, and administrator. I am also a theorist and something of a philosopher. This book is written from my perspective as an educator, clinician, and theorist.”

Best, Dag

[From Rick Marken (2016.05.26.1025)]

I’d like a copy of the screen shots. What’s the publication date?

Best

Rick

···

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Dag Forssell csgarchive@pctresources.com wrote:

Best, Dag

Richard S. Marken

Author, with Timothy A. Carey, of Controlling People: The Paradoxical Nature of Being Human.