A Vexing Question

Rick, I think that you are typical case of little egoistic LCS who thinks that his little “controlled world” inside (you have to take into account that your “little world inside” it’s not built only from outside perceptions) is the only “real world” that exists on Planet Earth. Well i must say that you are wrong. He,he… I must admitt that your posts givve me so much amusement and

RM: Not really. It’s not clear to me how this post relates to the topic of this thread, which I think is the PCT model of perception.

HB : How can we see that it is PCT model of perception ? From your RCT control loop ???

RM : Feel free to try again if you like but if you do please avoid using the term “collective control” since it elicits in me a strong urge to throw things at the computer screen;-) But if you just can’t resist, please explain what the hell you mean by the term.

HB : Well, well what we have here, ha,ha… Angry man hating what Kent invented. If you want to understandd what is coolective control you’ll have to read Kents’ work. But I can help you a little.

Kent M (2011):

Conditions in the natural environment are constantly in flux, but modern civilizations have found many ways of stabilizing and controlling environmental fluctuations for the sake of human comfort and wellbeing. Focusing on the processes of control that have allowed humans to stabilize their living environments, I argue that humans have used similar processes of control for creating and maintaining social structures, and that social structures and their underlying environmental stabilities must be analyzed in tandem.

…William T. Powers, who has shown how the orrganization of the human brain can be understood as a hierarchy of negative-feedback control systems.

Using the psychological theory developed by Powers, called perceptual control theory, I argue that social interactions emerge from collective control processes, that social groups and organizations are centrally engaged in producing environmental stabilities, and that macro social problems, such as structural inequalities, social conflicts, violence, and environmental degradation, are the byproducts of collective control processes.

HB : Let me put the remarck that this is from CSG meeting 2011. I’m imagining that Bill and you were present at that meeting and that Bill allowed Kents’ article. Anyway I think that Kent is able of producing real PCT literature. I personally think that you should read more literature of real PCT thinkers and writters. What do you think Rick ?

Boris

···

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 8:01 PM
To: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: A Vexing Question

[Rick Marken 2018-11-10_10:59:42]

[From Bruce Nevin (2018.11.09.16:55 ET)]

Rick Marken 2018-11-09_10:33:28 –

RM: According to the PCT model, what constitutes real reality are physical variables that are thebasis of our perceptions. When we control things like the taste of lemonade, the vertical optical velocity of a baseball or the “runniness” of scrambled eggs we are controlling perceptual variables that have their basis in physical reality; there are really combinations chemicals “out there” that are the basis of our perception of the “lemonadeness” of the mixture; there is really a moving object out there that is the basis of our perception of vertical optical velocity; and there are really collections of atoms and molecules out there that are the basis of our perception of the “runniness” of the eggs. But the “lemonadeness” perception is not a perception of “lemonadeness” in the real world; the vertical optical velocity perception is not a perception of vertical optical velocity in the real world; and the “runniness” perception is not a perception of runniness in the real world. According to PCT, these perceptions are all *functions of *physical variables in the real world.

BN: Yes, the best we’ve got seems to be reductionism to variables defined in physics and chemistry.

RM: What is it that you think we’re trying to “get” that makes “variables defined in physics and chemistry” the best we’ve “got”?

BN: As far as looking for the ‘really real’, however, that’s just swapping one set of perceptions for another set which we are more comfortable thinking of as ‘really real’.

RM: The PCT model of perception is not "looking for the ‘really real’ ". The PCT model just assumes that there is a real world on the other side of our senses and that this world (the “environment side” of PCT diagrams) is the models of physics and chemistry.

BN: Ah, if only the taste of lemonade (and other things) were so simple. A fun exposure to some other inputs:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/variety-is-the-spice-of-life/

https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/can-taste-color/

BN: So, OK, maybe that’s more reason to give less credence to the reality of our quotidian perceptions (that word again) and more to those of physics and chemistry, which are frankly elements of theories without the immediacy of ordinary subjective perception.

BN: Now that’s all perfectly clear, right?

RM: Not really. It’s not clear to me how this post relates to the topic of this thread, which I think is the PCT model of perception. Feel free to try again if you like but if you do please avoid using the term “collective control” since it elicits in me a strong urge to throw things at the computer screen;-) But if you just can’t resist, please explain what the hell you mean by the term.

Best

Rick

/BN

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[Rick Marken 2018-11-09_10:33:28]

[Martin Taylor 2018.11.07.10.18]

RM: In PCT, perception (in the form of perceptual input functions) defines the aspect of the “variables out there” that is controlled.

MT: In my opinion, this is correct.

RM: Indeed it is.

RM: So when you control a perceptual variable – such as the position of the dial that sets the thermostat – you are controlling the aspect of the “variables out there” (also known as “reality”) that is defined by the perceptual function that defines that perceptual variable.

MT: Yes, I agree with this, too.

RM: Correct again.

MT: But how does it relate in any kind of ordinary logic to the assertion that there is no corresponding variable “out there” that the organism can influence by its actions, and whose existence enhanced the likelihood of just this perceptual function being produced?

RM: Let’s try the “taste of lemonade” example again. The taste of lemonade is a variable (the taste can vary from being more to being less like lemonade) but there is no variable “out there” that corresponds to the taste of lemonade. The taste of lemonade is a perceptual variable; the physical variables that are the basis of this perception are the chemicals (water, oil, lemon juice) whose sensory effects are combined by a perceptual function to produce a taste.

RM: The PCT model of perception views all perceptual variables this way; all are signals that are analogs of variations in aspects of the organism’s environment (internal and external) that are defined by the perceptual functions that produce them. The main aim of PCT research is to determine what aspects of the environment – what perceptions – are being controlled when organisms are seen to be behaving in various ways.

RM: I think a way to overcome this problem is to say that, according to PCT, we control various aspects of the world around us (which, in PCT, are called perceptions), such as intensities (like loudness), sensations (like tastes), configurations (like shapes), relationships (like proximity), sequences (like melodies), etc. In other words, explain control of perception the way it is conceived of in the PCT model of purposeful behavior!

MT: Which is, IN MY OPINION, that if there is a perception you can control by influencing what appears to be in the environment, that perception is likely to be of something that really in real reality IS in the environment, because reorganization has made it so, and you have survived long enough to have that perception.

RM: According to the PCT model, what constitutes real reality are physical variables that are the basis of our perceptions. When we control things like the taste of lemonade, the vertical optical velocity of a baseball or the “runniness” of scrambled eggs we are controlling perceptual variables that have their basis in physical reality; there are really combinations chemicals “out there” that are the basis of our perception of the “lemonadeness” of the mixture; there is really a moving object out there that is the basis of our perception of vertical optical velocity; and there are really collections of atoms and molecules out there that are the basis of our perception of the “runniness” of the eggs. But the “lemonadeness” perception is not a perception of “lemonadeness” in the real world; the vertical optical velocity perception is not a perception of vertical optical velocity in the real world; and the “runniness” perception is not a perception of runniness in the real world. According to PCT, these perceptions are all functions of physical variables in the real world.

RM: Per the PCT model, there is no “lemonadeness”, vertical optical velocity or runniness in the real world. All that’s out there are physical variables: the v’s in the diagram of the PCT model in Fig. 1, p. 66 of LCS I. I believe we perceive the world as we do – we construct from physical reality perceptions of things like “lemonadeness”, vertical optical velocity and runniness – because perceiving it in this way proved evolutionarily adaptive to do so. I believe that it’s possible to have developed different ways of perceiving the same physical environment that would also have been evolutionarily adaptive. I think Powers’ had a demonstration of this but I can’t find it at the moment. So I don’t think it is reorganization that is responsible for the way we perceive the world; reorganization is an individual level phenomenon. I think evolution led to the way we perceive the reality – and if Powers’ hypothesis is correct, evolution has led to the development of perceptual functions (in humans, anyway) that construct 11 or so different types of hierarchically related perceptual variables: intensity, sensation, configuration… programs, principles, and system concepts. It’s this theory – of the types of perceptual variables that organisms are presumed to be controlling when we see them carrying out various behaviors – that is what we should be testing when we do research on purpose.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi Fred…

I’m not sure what to do as I explained answer to your question so many times.

image002109.jpg

···

From: Fred Nickols (fwnickols@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 9:34 PM
To: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: A Vexing Question

From Fred Nickols (2018.11.05.1531 ET)

I wrestle still with the notion of control of variables out there and my perception of them. Here are some thoughts I jotted down. Looking forward to some informed responses.

In plain language, to control something is to make it be the way you want. In a more technical sense, to control something is to align its current state with its desired state. In Perceptual Control Theory (PCT), Bill Powers asserted that what is controlled is perception. We have a reference state for some variable and we perceive its current state. If there is an unacceptable discrepancy between the reference state and the perceived state, an error exists, and we act (behave) to close or correct it. We make our perception match or align with our reference.

Let’s say I want the thermostat to be set at 70 degrees. I go over to the thermostat and see that it is set to 64 degrees. I turn it up from 64 to 70 degrees. Now my perception of the thermostat setting is aligned with my desired setting. I want it set to 70 degrees and I perceive it to be set to 70 degrees.

Now comes the kind of question that can trigger some very heated discussions: Do I control the thermostat setting or just my perception of it?

HB : It’s odd Fred that immediately after CSGnet meating 2018 you are asking the same questions as before the meeting. I assume that you were present on CSGnet meeting. You could get answer there.

Was there nothing said on CSGnet meeting that could solve your problem ? What is CSGnet meeting for ? And I see that my and Richard Pfau proposals were no accepted. Most of us will never know what happened there. But concluding from your “chronical” question nothing happened. Just few people will know what happened there. It will probably soon be forgotten with no real consequences on PCT development. It was probably just fine to meet with friends and say few words. I’m dissapointed about organization of PCT promotion…

HB : About question you are asking which is specific “behavior” (not general about control in LCS) I think that this time you answered yourself…

FN earlier : I am of the view that the variable at the heart of the “presenting conflict” is not what the conflict is really about. It’s about something at a higher level. For me, it might be a desire to feel warmer. For my wife it might be about not wanting to feel any warmer or perhaps not wanting to run up the heating bill. In any case, our conflict isn’t about the thermostat setting itself.

HB : It seems to me perfect PCT analysis. If the conflict is not about the thermostat setting itself it could mean that you both didn’t control thermostat settings but something inside organism or as you wrote : desire to feel warmer. That’s what probably conflict was about as you had different references. I think that Bills’ definition of TCV shows the whole problem of control and identifying control in PCT “light” :

Bill P (B:CP) :

The TCV is method for identifying control organization of nervous system….

There will be ambiguous cases : the disturbance may be only weakly opposed. That effect could be due not to poor control system but to a definition of actions that are only remotely linked to the actual controlled quantity.

For example : if when you open the window I sometimes get up and close it, you might conclude that I am controlling the position of the window when in fact I only shut it if the room gets too chilly to suit me. I could be controlling sensed temperature very precisely, when necesarry, but by a variety of means : shutting the window, turning up the termostat, putting on a sweater, or exercising. You are on the track of the right controlled quantity, but haven’t got the right definition yet. It is safest to assume that an ambiguous result from TCV is the fault of the hypotehsis and to continue looking for a better definition of the controlled quantity.

HB : One thing is sure. You didn’t control behavior to reach the state of thermostat or any other variable outside to some reference point which suits organism. Control was done in the whole loop as Martin wrote but with “Control of perception” as the main part.

Bill P. at all (50th Anniversary, 2011) :

…the phenomenon of control takes center stage in PCT, with observaable behavior playing an important but supporting role.

HB : Control (what means Control of perception in PCT) "takes center stage, and Important but supporting part in control loop is also behavior or we can call it “blind actions” or not “controlled actions” or “not controlled output”.

Bill P :

Our only view of the real world is our view of the neural signals that represent it inside our own brains. When we act to make a perception change to our more desireble state – when we make the perception of the glass change from »on the table« to »near the mouth« - we have no direct knowledge of what we are doing to the reality that is the origin of our neural signal; we know only the final result, how the result looks, feels, smells, sounds, tastes, and so forth…It means that we produce actions that alter the world of perception…

HB : So behavior (output, actions) is just support to control (Control of perception) and “not controlled”.

HB : It’s obviously at least to me that “phenomenon of control” which takes center stages in PCT is “Control of perception” (comparator, nervous system). Behavior plays just supporting role. Feed-back in PCT is generally defined as changing world of perceptions with actions :

FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

HB : So by my oppinion you don’t control outer world (thermostat) but you just affect it blindly causing occasional “stability” until perception matches reference (control). Interpretation what happened in outer environment is left to you or any other subject. So you’ll have myriad of interpretations of the same event. Somebody like Rick could call it control. But then he always falls into a trap. What is controlling outside world ? Control of behavior ? Where is reference in outside world ? Where is comparator ? And he tries to prove that “aspect of environment” can sometimes be controlled by behavior.

HB : My oppinion is also that you should always use and promote Bills literature to answer your questions and questions others would have. Not for ex. Ricks literature, which you are promoting, because he can’t answer your PCT questions specially if they are specific questions about specific behavior. Rick has wrong RCT theory produced on “one case”. So he is wrong about general PCT control loop. As before I suggest that you use and promote PCT literature and original author William T. Powers. Because only there you can get right PCT answers.

HB : I simply can’t see in Bills’ diagram and definitions where is generally “control of behavior”, or where is “controlled aspect of environment”, or where is “Controlled perceptual variable” and I can’t see “cannonical principle”…. Can somebody show that ?

HB : It’s very important that we all understand what Bill wanted to say about PCT at least in some commonly acceptable way. Now I just see many subjective theories about how organisms functon and how they produce “controlled effects” to outer environment.

So is there any possibility that we finally agree what Bill was writing about ?

I really hoped that CSGnet meeting would offer the answer. But obviously it didn’t. And for some reason many members and public will never know what happened there.

PCT Definitions of control loop :

Bill P (B:CP):

1. CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

1. OUTPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that converts the magnitude or state of a signal inside the system into a corresponding set of effects on the immediate environment of the system

Bill P (LCS III):…the output function shown in it’s own box represents the means this system has for causing changes in it’s environment.

Bill P (LCS III):

1. FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

1. INPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that receives signals or stimuli from outside the system, and generates a perceptual signal that is some function of the received signals or stimuli.

1. COMPARATOR : The portion of control system that computes the magnitude and direction of mismatch between perceptual and reference signal.

Bill P (B:CP)

1. ERROR : The discrepancy between a perceptual signal and a reference signal, which drives a control system’s output function. The discrepancy between a controlled quantity and it’s present reference level, which causes observable behavior.

1. ERROR SIGNAL : A signal indicating the magnitude and direction of error.

Diagram (LCS III)

cid:image001.jpg@01D37ABE.36063DF0

Aren’t we here to understand PCT ?

HB : It’s somehow obvious to me, that in PCT we are trying to identify “intrinsic variables” that are controlled not external variable in general sense. So something that will maintain homeostasis in organism and enable survival. External variables are just consequently changed in respect to internal control. It’s just support to internal control. if we are succesfull.

HB : Control is done inside organism maintaining homeostasis.

CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

HB : And we know that there is generally no “cannonical principle” in control loop so that to extent that something is controlled inside is also controlled outside and vica verse. Definition of “control” and diagram don’t show that.

Bill showed clearly how can we make mistakes in determining what people are really controlling if we conclude in “cannonical way”. And I never saw him used “cannonical principle” : to the extent that we control inside we control also outside.

So what we are doing to outside world I wouldn’t call control.

Bill and Kent used term stability for outside events which are consequences of inside control. So effects of actions in environment usually produce support to control in organism.

Bill Powers to Phil Runkel :

First we must establish control as a phenomenon. This is not a theoretical matter. We have to show that organisms actually do stabilize external variables of all degrees of complexity against disturbances, maintaining them recognizably near reference conditions that we can identify experimentally. – William T. Powers

Kent M : The fact that the control of perceptions tends to stabilize variables in the physical environment provides a useful focus for analysis when we move from considering the actions of isolated individuals to talking about social interactions.

HB : It seems to me that Bill and Kent are very rare scientists in realm of PCT. There are many phylosophers like Rick is.

It seems that final goal is to understand how nervous system function and of course how organisms function. For that we need real evidences.

So I suggest that we stop losing any more time with “aspects of outer environment that are controlled” and whether or not “Behavior is control”, because these are just “supporting” question to real control. So I’m suggest that we start finalizing PCT with “Control of perception” as center stage.

HB : Generally we can hardly conclude directly from outside “control” to real inside control. So by my oppinion it’s hard to think of “control” outside, which shows directly to “control inside”. Bills’ explanation of TCV is clear about that.

I think it’s better to think of control as something happening in internal environment and stability something happening in external environment that is supporting and enabling control in organism. From stabilities in external environment we try to conclude what is really controlled. In this way we can fulfill Bills’ condition : the TCV is method for identifying control organization of nervous system…. which is doing most of control about homeostasiis.

Best,

Boris

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

“Assistance at A Distance”

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2018-11-13_19:58:05 UTC]

···

[Rick Marken 2018-11-07_17:45:04]

Discussion has already gone forward, but I still want to check a couple of things here.

RM: No, I use “aspect” to refer to the function of physical variables (actually, the sensory effects of those variables) that defines the perception. So the aspect of the environment (perception) that is controlled
when you control the area of the rectangle in my “What is size” demo (https://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Size.html ) is defined by the mathematical function: height x width.
When you control perimeter, the aspect of the same environment that is controlled is defined by the mathematical function: 2* (height+ width).

RM: The function represents an aspect of the variables “out there”; it can’t possibly represent those variables themselves

EP: Is this demo as an example meant to be understood literally or metaphorically? Do you say that the perception of size is a function of two environmental variables: width (W) or X length and height (H) or Y length? And the function is
(W * H)? And respectively the function of perception of perimeter is 2*(W + H)?

But aren’t W and H perceptions too? You could as well make a demo about controlling the length of a line, couldn’t you? What would then be the environmental variables? Perhaps the amount of consecutive pixels in the screen which have the
same color and a different color than neighboring pixels? But again I can perceive them? So what are the environmental variables here that I cannot perceive?

RM: What is a “perfect” perception? Is it a perception that is perfect in the sense that it is an exact representation of what is actually “out there”? Or is it a noise free analog of the aspect of the aspect
of the environment that is defined by the perceptual function? I think only the latter definition of perfection makes sense in PCT.

EP: I think a “perfect� perception could be an exact transformation of (the aspect of) the environmental variables out there. Perhaps it is the same as noise free analog. But what I am after is that for example for me it is extremely difficult
in the size demo to perceive exactly when the size of the square is identical to the size or the circle. I think that I err to perceive it as big sometimes when it is smaller and sometimes when it is bigger, perhaps depending on its form. I believe that training
would make my perceiving more perfect.

EP: Often my controlling of something is far from perfect because I have perceived something wrong. It may often be caused by noise. If my perceptions of both W and H are noisy then the combined perception of size can still more noisy and
imperfect.

Eetu

• Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

[Rick Marken 2018-11-19_12:14:57]

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2018-11-13_19:58:05 UTC]

Â

RM: The function represents an aspect of the variables “out there”; it can’t possibly represent those variables themselvesÂ

Â

EP: Is this demo as an example meant to be understood literally or metaphorically? Do you say that the perception of size is a function of two environmental variables: width (W) or X length and height (H) or Y length? And the function is
(W * H)? And respectively the function of perception of perimeter is 2*(W + H)?

But aren’t W and H perceptions too? You could as well make a demo about controlling the length of a line, couldn’t you?

RM: Yes, W and H are perceptions. I am kind of cheating there. Trying to save myself the expense of say area and perimeter are perceptions that are two different functions of the same two perceptions, H and W, which are themselves perceptions that are functions of the different brightness levels at different points in the visual field which are themselves perceptions that are functions of the effect of electromagnetic energy at the sensory surface. So W and H are perceptions that are ultimately a function of an environmental variable (electromagnetic energy) but I call W and H environmental variables since they are like such variables with respect to the perceptions of area and perimeter.Â

Â

EP: What would then be the environmental variables? Perhaps the amount of consecutive pixels in the screen which have the
same color and a different color than neighboring pixels? But again I can perceive them? So what are the environmental variables here that I cannot perceive?

RM: It’s the electromagnetic energy emitted by the pixels. Â

Â

RM: What is a “perfect” perception? Is it a perception that is perfect in the sense that it is an exact representation of what is actually “out there”? Or is it a noise free analog of the aspect of the aspect
of the environment that is defined by the perceptual function? I think only the latter definition of perfection makes sense in PCT.

Â

EP: I think a “perfect� perception could be an exact transformation of (the aspect of) the environmental variables out there. Perhaps it is the same as noise free analog. But what I am after is that for example for me it is extremely difficult
in the size demo to perceive exactly when the size of the square is identical to the size or the circle. I think that I err to perceive it as big sometimes when it is smaller and sometimes when it is bigger, perhaps depending on its form. I believe that training
would make my perceiving more perfect.

RM: Yes, “noise free analog” works for me. I agree that a “perfect” perception, from a control theory perspective, would be a noise free analog of the aspect of the environment carried by the perceptual signal.Â

EP: Often my controlling of something is far from perfect because I have perceived something wrong. It may often be caused by noise. If my perceptions of both W and H are noisy then the combined perception of size can still more noisy and
imperfect.

RM: Agree!

BestÂ

RickÂ

···

Â

Â

Eetu

• Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

Â

Â