Another economic question

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.21.2055 UT)]

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.21.1255 MST)]

So I don't see any reason to give up on modeling economies, though I wouldn't force any of my initial ideas on anyone. And I see some very important reasons for trying to construct a model, the main one being that until we have models of economic phenomena that predict correctly, nobody's opinions on the subject are worth a thing. Heated arguments about economics are really about other subjects, including the private problems of those doing the arguing.

Amen.

Bruce

[From Kenny Kitzke (2010.02.21.1800EST)]

I beg your pardon! My opinion about “economics,” and specifically the economic system of my country, is worth a great deal to me. Your opinions about economics or those of Ms. Romer (Obama’s Chairperson of Economic Advisors) are not worth near as much to me.

My economic opinion after Obama was elected President was to buy gold. It turned out to be a profitable economic decision. I did not need a model to make that decision. Perhaps I was just lucky? Perhaps it was an educated decision for how I participate best in the economic system?

Last week, I bought some silver. How will that work out economically? I don’t know for sure. But, I would not pay much attention to the economic model that you envision, even if you had it. Why? Because it could be wrong just like my opinion. Your model might not predict the future economy and the price of silver in a year even if it predicted the historic price of silver within 3-5% ever since 1776.

One can learn a great deal about a “system” by observing it, studying it, and experimenting with it. No model is needed to gain some degree of understanding. The worth of understanding a system depends on the person goals in participating in the system. Wouldn’t any PCTer understand that in part because of you?.

If you want to make a model of the USA economy and improve it over time to develop your own economic opinions, just do it. You have talked about it for 10 years. I remember the Boston CSG Conference in 2000 where economists, including Bill Williams, expressed doubt about your father’s economic theories, and Rick’s speculations, or were they just opinions?

I really have nothing against making models. I have developed a model based upon data about the causes of quality defects that is informative and helpful. I like simulations too. So, go ahead. Spend all the time you can on making a new model of the economic system in the USA. When you have it, I will be happy to study it and even offer any improvement suggestions. If it is anywhere near as good as your model of behavior, then I will praise you and eat crow. Until then, chalkin’ beats talkin’. I wish you success.

Kenny

In a message dated 2/21/2010 3:40:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, powers_w@FRONTIER.NET writes:

···

So I don’t see any reason to give up on modeling economies, though I wouldn’t force any of my initial ideas on anyone. And I see some very important reasons for trying to construct a model, the main one being that until we have models of economic phenomena that predict correctly, nobody’s opinions on the subject are worth a thing. Heated arguments about economics are really about other subjects, including the private problems of those doing the arguing.

Best,.

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2010.02.21.1000)]

Bill Powers (2010.02.21.0635 MST)

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.20.1634 MST) –

Time series data are often autocorrelated. Your independent variable (tax policy changes) only changes a dozen or so times, presumably there is a time lag analysis you should do and then test whether the amount of time between changes is enough for the dependent variable to fully respond. The statistical significance of your correlation should be reduced by the amount of the auto-correlation.

I think Rick probably knows this, since he has taught statistics and experimental methods (including writing a book on the latter).

Thanks, but I don’t like to point to my credentials as evidence that I know what I’m doing. After all, we know that credentials, such as a PhD in psychology, don’t guarantee that one has not wasted one’s career pursuing an illusion.

As to Martin’s point about autocorrelation, I think your comments to Martin are most pertinent:

I don’t quite see what you’re getting at here – you seem to be arguing on Rick’s side by agreeing that there are no data favoring the idea that reducing taxes increases growth; all you’re saying is that the evidence indicating the opposite is not as strong as it might seem to be. That doesn’t show that decreasing taxes increases growth.

Exactly. The fact is that even by assuming that the sample points in the tax and growth time series are independent (independence and autocorrelation are actually two different things; more on that later) the correlations were not (except in a couple cases) statistically significant. As you say, reducing the number of degrees of freedom for the statistical test, as Martin suggests based on the fact that the series is autocorrelated, simply makes all the correlations not statistically significant, which makes my point: I can find no evidence for the claim that lowering taxes is associated with an increase in growth.

As to autocorrelation and independence, these are actually two separate concepts. A time series of data points can be independent and have a high level of autocorrelation or they can be dependent with a low level of autocorrelation. The former is probably rare; the fact is that economic time series have a high level of autocorrelation and the events are not independent. But it is possible for a series of data to have a high level of autocorrelation while the events in the series are actually independent. For example, you could have 100 people rate how much they would pay for a bet where the payoff varies sinusoidally from the first to last person. The series of 100 ratings will probably vary sinusoidally as well, and a sine wave has a very high level of autocorrelation, of course. Yes the data points in both the payoff and rating series are independent of one another, in the sense that the payoff or rating for subject n was independent of the payoff or rating for subjects n-1, n-2, etc. And example of data where there is a low level of autocorrelation and a high level of sequential dependence would occur if the same study were done with the same person making all 100 ratings. In that case, it is highly likely that the rating that the subject gives on trial n would depend on the ratings given on trial n-1, n-2, etc.

But all this is really irrelevant to what I was trying to show. I use correlations as a summary measure of the relationship between time series, where on variable in the time series can be considered the independent variable in a quasi-experiment. I could just present the time series for visual inspection, since that is often the way the results of quasi-experiments are reported. But it’s simpler to report a correlation, which summarizes (in terms of fit to a linear model) the relationship between IV and DV in this quasi-experiment using a single number. I presented the rather small, positive correlation between taxes and growth not to show that taxes cause growth; the relationship, significant or not, doesn’t show that; we need a model to understand why the data behave as they do. I presented the data as a question: why the heck do economists think that increasing taxes reduces growth?

I think what is most amusing about Martin L’s criticisms of my analysis is that he makes so statements to which his criticisms actually apply. Beside his complaint about my improper calculation of statistical significance, Martin’s also complains about the “uncontrolled confounding factors are easy to point out”. In fact, I look at time series data in order to minimize confounding (the is what quasi-experimental design is about, the idea being that it is unlikely that other variables will be systematically confounded with time variations in the variables of interest – like taxes and growth - if these variables are looked at over a long period of time).

So I am well aware of the possibility of confounding and make every effort to minimize the possibility in my economic analyses. But when Martin talks about what he considers data he evidences absolutely no concern about possible confoundings. For example, Martin says: “The boats being lifted [by US tax cutting policies] are huge new middle classes in India
and China and the world is better for it”. So Martin has no problem attributing causality to the one co-occurrence of US tax cuts and the growth of the middle class in China and India, ignoring all the other events (possible confoundings) that occurred in US and the world the same time.

Another example of Martin’s ability to do without quasi-experimental control of possible confounding variables occurs in the following analysis:

“The aim [of the tax cuts] was economic efficiency and growth. Complicating matters is
that the Federal Reserve, which is supposed to be neutral in the
allocation of the returns from increased productivity between labor and
capital, took sides. By considering increases in wages inflationary
and tightening, it saw to it that nearly all the benefit of increased
productivity went to capital. The Repubs and Democrats were both
stupid in not recognizing and correcting this. The double taxation of
returns to equity and high tax rates also decreased the attractiveness
of the US economy as a place for investiment”.

Again, Martin is able to tell that the reason the tax cuts were not associated with the intended results (lifting all boats) was the Fed raised rates. Of all the many events going on in the US at this particular time Martin is again able to tell (without the help of quasi-experimental control) that Fed rate increases trump the effect of tax cuts.

The fact is that Martin L. doesn’t seem to care all that much about data. I think most free-marketers don’t care about or even like data very much. Why would they? When the data contradict everything you believe about economics then one of the best policies is to ignore it. That’s just basic PCT.

You also seem to be sidestepping another point made by Rick: he said “Several times in recent years I have seen statistics showing that for the last century or so each time the ownership of all the country’s resources owned by the top 1% of the population has increased until - with the latest one I’ve seen (within the last year) - it has reached over 80%.”

This actually was said by Dick Robertson. It seems like an incomplete sentence. I think Dick’s point was that “each time a large share of ownership goes to a small share of the population the economy goes into a dive”. I would say this counts for income as well. I’m attaching a graph of the share of GDI (gross domestic income) going to the top .01% of the population of the US. Note how the share of income went up (to 5%) right before the Great Depression, then after decreasing to 1% and staying there for a long time it took off again starting as soon as Reagan came into office. The graph peaks out again (at 6%) right before the second great depression of 2008-2009. Coincidence? I don’t think so

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2010.02.21.2045)]

Rick Marken (2010.02.21.1000)

I pushed “send” by accident before I had started editing this so I apologize of all the typos but I think it’s basically legible.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

KK: I beg your pardon! My
opinion about “economics,” and specifically the economic system
of my country, is worth a great deal to me. Your opinions about
economics or those of Ms. Romer (Obama’s Chairperson of Economic
Advisors) are not worth near as much to me.
KK: My economic opinion after
Obama was elected President was to buy gold. It turned out to be a
profitable economic decision. I did not need a model to make that
decision. Perhaps I was just lucky? Perhaps it was an
educated decision for how I participate best in the economic
system?
KK: Last week, I bought some
silver. How will that work out economically? I don’t know for
sure. But, I would not pay much attention to the economic model
that you envision, even if you had it. Why? Because it could
be wrong just like my opinion. Your model might not predict the
future economy and the price of silver in a year even if it predicted the
historic price of silver within 3-5% ever since 1776.
KK: One can learn a great deal
about a “system” by observing it, studying it, and
experimenting with it. No model is needed to gain some degree of
understanding. The worth of understanding a system depends on the
person goals in participating in the system. Wouldn’t any PCTer
understand that in part because of you?.
[From Bill Powers (2010.02.22.0729 MST)]
Kenny Kitzke (2010.02.21.1800EST)

···

BP: You see? Just as I said: the reasons for making economic decisions,
in the absence of a good economic model, have to do with other issues,
such as, here, politics, pride, and patriotism.

BP: I don’t think it was just luck. I think it’s quite possible that
Obama’s election alarmed a lot of people, partly because of the man
himself and partly because of his proposals. A great many people of the
same persuasion rushed out to buy gold and silver and (possibly) diamonds
– all those tangible things that give reassurance for no good reason,
but which are scarce and valued and therefore command ever-higher prices
in dollars. So we have a nice case of a self-fulfilling prophecy, or what
is known in statistics as a confounding influence (not to mention that
gold’s price had been rising for some time). Or perhaps you were smart
enough to realize that many people would panic when a black democrat, of
all things, was elected, and you predicted that they would run the price
of gold and silver up even faster. If so, congratulations. I believe the
modern term for that is gaming the system.
Naturally you feel insulted at being told that without a model you are
just guessing at random on the basis of irrelevant beliefs. And I deduce
that you feel your economic beliefs have something to do with patriotism
and loyalty (“the economic system of my country”). All the
people I have met who have strong opinions about economics seem to
consider it very important, for various reasons having nothing to do with
economics, that their ideas be thought right. And most of them, as I
recall from previous encounters, have a considerable stake in the
existing system, so to call into question anything about it has very
personal significance.
Things like these are the basis of most economic arguments I have
witnessed or participated in. The idea of a disinterested study of
economics to find out how economic systems work, with no particular
preference for which findings would prove to be true, has not been
evident in any of these discussions. This is my main reason for wanting
to see a real working model that predicts economic phenomena. I would
like to know the truth more than I want to be right. I’m not going to
arrive at the truth by listening to people telling me that if I don’t
like capitalism, I should try living somewhere else.
The most important thing about models is this: they can be wrong, and if
they’re wrong, there is nothing you can do about it but change the model.
No amount of arm-waving or passing the blame or explaining that cyclic
phenomena just happened to be unusual will help. This is because of the
nature of models. Making a working model forces you to lay out your
logical premises and factual assumptions, and to use the model itself
and nothing else (especially not your own educated guesses) to
predict what will happen under various conditions. This requires a
working model, a “generative” model that generates predicted
behaviors through time, that runs by itself with no possibility of
influence by its creator before it has finished its run. As all PCTers
know who have tried their hand at generating their own working models,
this requires considerable bravery. When the model starts to depart from
reasonable behavior, all you can do is watch while it self-destructs. To
step in and tweak something to save the model would be just as
destructive to the value of the model as letting it wreck
itself.

(I included 13 demonstrations in my last book which the reader can
install and run on his own computer, with me a hundred, a thousand, or
ten thousand miles away. So far I have received no complaints that they
don’t work exactly as described in the book, or that the ones involving
interaction with the reader don’t do exactly what the book says they, and
the reader, will do. I commit myself in the book to these predictions; I
can’t change them. That’s how an economic model should work.)

When a model does not commit suicide, when it actually behaves and
survives intact, when its behavior comes somewhere near looking like the
real behavior, or best of all when you have to look closely at the plots
of the results to tell that there is any difference, and at the color
code to see which is the model and which is the real system – when the
model really works well, the result is one of the greatest experiences of
intellectual life. It’s not just that the model is right: it’s that you
have learned something about nature. The wild surmise has proven to be
true, or closer to true than any other idea so far. That sends shivers
down my back.

BP: I see. So if we predict that after an object is dropped, it will fall
in a certain manner and reach the ground at a particular instant, and if
such predictions have been correct since 1776, you think we would be well
advised to use educated guesses about what will happen next time, rather
than using Newton’s theory of gravitation? What you’re saying here seems
to be a total repudiation of science. You’re assuming that a model
wouldn’t predict any better than an educated guess would. Or are you
afraid that it would?

BP: The worth of understanding of a system, in my opinion, depends on how
well that understanding holds up when tested, not on other goals of the
person proposing some idea. Understanding based on purely empirical
observations with no underlying systematic model is, of course, more
useful than no understanding at all, usually. But not a lot more useful,
only enough to make it barely worth the effort. Modeling gives us an
order of magnitude more reliability in what we believe about a system; it
turns alchemy into chemistry, natural philosophy into physics. So far it
is just starting to turn psychologist into something else; it hasn’t
started at all in economics as far as I have seen.

If you want to make a model of the
USA economy and improve it over time to develop your own economic
opinions, just do it. You have talked about it for 10 years.
I remember the Boston CSG Conference in 2000 where economists, including
Bill Williams, expressed doubt about your father’s economic theories, and
Rick’s speculations, or were they just opinions?

Bill Williams’ objections to my father’s analysis were based explicitly
on the fact that my father had no degree in economics. Dr. Bill Williams,
PhD (economics), found it very insulting for amateurs to meddle in
affairs they would be better off leaving to the experts, like him. At the
Boston meeting he expressed such opinions out loud; they may be on tape.
He argued against using data in the historical record, much as many
others have argued, because clearly they are flawed, but like other
economists he trusted anecdotal data and thought-experiments if they
agreed with his conclusions. Economists distrust the data because the
data don’t agree with their theories. They ought to be distrusting their
theories.

I really have nothing against making
models. I have developed a model based upon data about the causes
of quality defects that is informative and helpful. I like
simulations too. So, go ahead.

I’d really like to see that model of yours and see how it holds up
against data. I’m surprised to hear that you know how to make a working
model. Have you mentioned this before?

Spend all the time you can on
making a new model of the economic system in the USA. When you have
it, I will be happy to study it and even offer any improvement
suggestions. If it is anywhere near as good as your model of
behavior, then I will praise you and eat crow. Until then, chalkin’
beats talkin’. I wish you success.

So once again, “Good luck and tell me when you’ve done it.”
That leaves me, and Rick, and I don’t know what other PCTers, on our own.
So far I haven’t had any comments at all about the substance of the
beginning models I did develop and make available, a somewhat
disheartening result from work spread out over several years. I got
letters full of violent hatred from Bill Williams. What I hear in your
words is a dare, not encouragement or a desire to help. You’re betting my
efforts will fail, from which it follows that you hope they will. Your
wish for my success is not sincere, is it?

Isn’t it funny how economic arguments so often bristle with resentment
and anger and contempt? Obviously the background thoughts could do with
some examination even if they have nothing to do with how economic
systems work.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2010.02.22.0915)]

Kenny Kitzke (2010.02.21.1800EST)–

My economic opinion after Obama was elected President was to buy gold.

My guess is that this opinion may be related to your assumption that Obama would run up the deficit. This opinion is based on the sudden emergence of right wing, Obama hating deficit hawks. So just for the heck of it I went to the data again to look at what happened to the deficit after the first few months of the Bush II and Obama presidencies. Since the data only go up through the first 7 months of Obama, I compared the change in the deficit during the first 7 months of Bush II to the change during the first 7 months of Obama.

In terms of constant dollars, the deficit went from a $174 billion surplus to a $ 127 billion deficit during the first 7 months of Bush II, an increase in the deficit of $302 billion. The deficit went from $1.006 trillion to 1.342 trillion during the first 7 months of Obama, an increase in the deficit of $336 billion. So the increase in the deficit during the first 7 months of Obama was only slightly larger, in constant dollars, than the increase during the first 7 months of Bush II. Moreover, if we look at the deficit in terms of proportion of GNP, then the increase in the deficit was actually larger during the first 7 months of Bush II than it was during the first 7 months of Obama. The change in the deficit as proportion of GNP was .029 during the first 7 months of Bush II and .022 during the first 7 months of Obama. Yet we didn’t hear a peep about the deficit from right wingers during the first 7 months of Bush II or, for that matter, during his entire 8 years in office, during which he took the deficit from a surplus of $174 billion to a deficit of $1.006 trillion. I think I even recall Cheney saying sometime during Bush II’s second regime something about how Reagan proved that deficits don’t matter. Yet now many right wingers are suddenly screaming about the awful deficits being created by Obama, deficits which are actually smaller, as a proportion of GNP, than those created by Bush II in the same time period.

I try my best to see this behavior on the part of so many right wingers as what I know it is: the behavior of hierarchical control systems who are just trying to do the best they can . But I have to admit that it’s hard for me not to see it as just pure evil.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.22.1735 UT)]

[From Rick Marken (2010.02.22.0915)]

I try my best to see this behavior on the part of so many right wingers as what I know it is: the behavior of hierarchical control systems who are just trying to do the best they can . But I have to admit that it's hard for me not to see it as just pure evil.

I see it as a compelling example of the truth that people believe whatever facilitates them in achieving their goals (I learned this from you). Nevertheless, I take your point.

Bruce

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.21.0831 MST):

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.21.1255 MST)]

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.21.0831 MST) –

Rick had opportunities
to show a
little insight into the possible problems with his simplistic analysis
and didn’t. The assumption is that the data is autocorrelated until
it is shown that their not, it would be a mere coincidence if an annual
sample rate of convenience turned out to be the effective sample
size. Rick’s analysis uses top marginal rate as a proxy for the
whole tax structure which ignores for instance the total tax burden and
the available of effective tax avoidance behaviors, he knows that over
the last few decades factors like Federal Reserve policy and the price
and availability of oil were important influences yet didn’t include
them
in his analysis. He didn’t include time delays in his
analysis. I’m not saying that evidence indicating the opposite is
not as strong as it might be, I don’t see Rick’s “evidence” as
indicating anything.

What Rick was pointing out was a lack of evidence that taxes
reduce growth, though perhaps he gave too much weight to a low
correlation in the direction he favors.

There is evidence that high tax rates produced tax avoidance behavior,
which analyzed microeconomically, can be argued to be less productive
or to create imbalances. If tax shelters such as investments in
municipal bonds or real -estate investment trusts become too large a
part of your economy, or if production is being transferred off-shore,
etc., you don’t need macro-economic statistics to know this is poor
public policy. I suspect that the human mind is better at seeing the
order in a massive complex economy from the bottom up rather than from
the top down.

Unfortunately, the Democratic approach seems to be to set up a system
of perverse incentives and disincentives justified by class warfare
rhetoric, and then to demonize and outlaw anyone that behaves in
accordance with the system they setup.

I’ve never seen such as
statistic, so I assumed he intended the more readily available income
statistic. I’d be interested in seeing it.

Are you sure it includes the means of production? Does it include
the extent to which they are encumbered by debt, i.e., net value?
Does it include financial assets? Has it been updated since
the disappearance of $5 trillion or more dollars worth in the collapse
of
the recent bubble? Does it distinguish between foreign
and domestic ownership?

individual and corporate ownship? I wondered if it was land area
based and if it accepted market valuations, which might value ridgetop
view property or national parks more than agricultural land. etc.
Was ownership of US treasuries included … what exactly do those
owner’s
control? I’d be interested in the analysis.

Wow. That certain leaves me cowed. There are so many variables here
that
I couldn’t possibly work out, in my head, what they imply. Can
anybody?

Shannon Williams
brought the
discussion back to what I think is the most important underlying issue,
though she expressed it in such a way that it seemed she was agreeing
with you (a tactic that I have also used and found to backfire every
time). I think the underlying issue has to do with control of one
person’s behavior by another person. Ownership of resouces makes this
easier; the owner of a business can say, for example, “This is my
business. If you want to work for me, you will do as I tell you, or I
will find someone else who will. I make the rules; you live up to them
if
you want to work here.” That is often cited by thinkers like Ayn
Rand as proving that managing a business is prima facie evidence of
moral
and mental superiority. That isn’t the only way to see it, of
course.

Now remember, I was the one agreeing almost completely with you.
You were controlling for zero fascism and I was close to zero. I
think Ayn Rand’s point was not that ownership or managing a business
was
evidence of moral and mental superiority, she gave plenty of examples
by
leading characters where it wasn’t. Creation and productivity and
excellence in managing and in other activities such as art, music, etc.
plus careful avoidance of coercive behavior were evidence of moral
and mental superiority.

Yeah, she sure was obsessed by the idea of superiority. I’m not
convinced
that the mere possession of riches shows anything more than an strong
desire for riches, but Rand seemed to see riches as a way of keeping
score in a contest for power and worthiness.

I think she thought the system should be set up so that riches were a
good way of keeping score, but that with too much coercive
interference, the system perversely rewarded unproductive activities
and government lobbying.

The “people” owning
the means of production doesn’t seem to work beyond the natural human
scale of the team, squad or village. The “people” tend to
start devaluing the “person” once he gains the anonymity of a
mere number. Humans are vulnerable to divisive collective
identities, fanaticism and cults of persnality. That is why it is
important to have cultural support for a government structure that
explicitly emasculates these vulnerabilities with checks, balances, and
standards, rather than a complacent, trusting and hopeful
culture

That sounds pretty coercive to me. Whose standards? Who gets to do the
checking and balancing, and how do they enforce it? And who are we to
say
people shouldn’t be trusting and hopeful (I’ll give you
“complacent”)? I like people who are that way a lot better than
the other kind.

It is the US constitution. Yes, you try to elect people of integrity
who can be trusted to take their oaths to uphold the constitution
seriously. But politicians are humans, so like Reagan said, “Trust,
but verify”.

Like you, if I can’t be
at or
near the top of the fascist pyramid, and how many of us can, I want
none
of it. If I’m not the one in control of others, I at least want
control of myself. Sure it would be nice to be a Castro and have
prime access to females with the best genes and my own culture and
economy to play with. But, I’m not sure I could as efficiently
employ the tools of terror as he did. It is something about
the way I was raised. If Castro left me Cuba, like Akhenaten, I
might not last long, those who had fed at the trough of the old
religion
would take me out.

Would you really approve of the fascist pyramid if you could be at or
near the top of it? Would it be prudent for me to keep that in mind
about
you?

No wouldn’t approve of any fascist system, they might not be safe, even
at the top, as recent show trials in Cuba and plenty of instances in
the USSR demonstrate. Drinking vodka might be the best strategy.

Kenny Kitzke is at me again about modeling, saying I’m
wasting my time
thinking about modeling the economy, but your words here reaffirm my
interest in that approach. You are juggling so many interacting
variables
in your analyses that I don’t think it would be possible to make any
predictions from them. I don’t doubt your mental capacities, but this
is
beyond human comprehension. If we rule out models of the economy, then
as
far as I’m concerned no human being can figure out anything at all
about
economics and I see no reason to believe anyone’s conclusions. Models
are
the only way to comprehend large complex systems; any other approach is
just superstition or faith.

Kenny feels that the system is just too complex to be captured in a
model. That’s a good way not to end up with a model, guaranteed to
work.
On the other hand, if we construct a model that turns out to predict
inaccurately because it’s too simple or wrong in places, we can modify
the model and try to make it work a little better, then a little better
than that, and so on.

That’s how PCT came into being, and how I ended up publishing a book in
2008 that has 13 pretty good models in it, several of which entail
predicting human behavior within three to five percent in a task
involving random disturbances. I’ve been told that the brain is much
too
complex to model, but I think I’ve proven that this is overpessimistic.
No model is much good to begin with, but improvement is always
possible,
and if we don’t fall in love with our first idea, we can continue to
progress toward more reliable understanding of the system being
modeled.

So I don’t see any reason to give up on modeling economies, though I
wouldn’t force any of my initial ideas on anyone. And I see some very
important reasons for trying to construct a model, the main one being
that until we have models of economic phenomena that predict correctly,
nobody’s opinions on the subject are worth a thing. Heated arguments
about economics are really about other subjects, including the private
problems of those doing the arguing.

Best,.

Bill P.

Any PCT model will be bottom up. I doubt we can ever have enough
initial state information to predict maco-economic trajectories. But
it may aid in predicting some of the types of microeconomic behavior
that will result from tax and other policies.

Martin L

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.20.1634 MST)

[From Rick Marken (2010.02.21.1000)]

Bill
Powers (2010.02.21.0635 MST)

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.20.1634 MST) –

Time series data are often autocorrelated. Your independent variable
(tax policy changes) only changes a dozen or so times, presumably there
is a time lag analysis you should do and then test whether the amount
of time between changes is enough for the dependent variable to fully
respond. The statistical significance of your correlation should be
reduced by the amount of the auto-correlation.

I think Rick probably knows this, since he has taught statistics and
experimental methods (including writing a book on the latter).

Thanks, but I don’t like to point to my credentials as evidence that I
know what I’m doing. After all, we know that credentials, such as a PhD
in psychology, don’t guarantee that one has not wasted one’s career
pursuing an illusion.

As to Martin’s point about autocorrelation, I think your comments to
Martin are most pertinent:

I
don’t quite see what you’re getting at here – you seem to be arguing
on Rick’s side by agreeing that there are no data favoring the idea
that reducing taxes increases growth; all you’re saying is that the
evidence indicating the opposite is not as strong as it might seem to
be. That doesn’t show that decreasing taxes increases growth.

Exactly. The fact is that even by assuming that the sample points in
the tax and growth time series are independent (independence and
autocorrelation are actually two different things; more on that later)
the correlations were not (except in a couple cases) statistically
significant. As you say, reducing the number of degrees of freedom for
the statistical test, as Martin suggests based on the fact that the
series is autocorrelated, simply makes all the correlations not
statistically significant, which makes my point: I can find no evidence
for the claim that lowering taxes is associated with an increase in
growth.

As to autocorrelation and independence, these are actually two separate
concepts. A time series of data points can be independent and have a
high level of autocorrelation or they can be dependent with a low level
of autocorrelation. The former is probably rare; the fact is that
economic time series have a high level of autocorrelation and the
events are not independent. But it is possible for a series of data to
have a high level of autocorrelation while the events in the series are
actually independent. For example, you could have 100 people rate how
much they would pay for a bet where the payoff varies sinusoidally from
the first to last person. The series of 100 ratings will probably vary
sinusoidally as well, and a sine wave has a very high level of
autocorrelation, of course. Yes the data points in both the payoff and
rating series are independent of one another, in the sense that the
payoff or rating for subject n was independent of the payoff or rating
for subjects n-1, n-2, etc. And example of data where there is a low
level of autocorrelation and a high level of sequential dependence
would occur if the same study were done with the same person making all
100 ratings. In that case, it is highly likely that the rating that the
subject gives on trial n would depend on the ratings given on trial
n-1, n-2, etc.

But all this is really irrelevant to what I was trying to show. I use
correlations as a summary measure of the relationship between time
series, where on variable in the time series can be considered the
independent variable in a quasi-experiment. I could just present the
time series for visual inspection, since that is often the way the
results of quasi-experiments are reported. But it’s simpler to report a
correlation, which summarizes (in terms of fit to a linear model) the
relationship between IV and DV in this quasi-experiment using a single
number. I presented the rather small, positive correlation between
taxes and growth not to show that taxes cause growth; the relationship,
significant or not, doesn’t show that; we need a model to understand
why the data behave as they do. I presented the data as a question: why
the heck do economists think that increasing taxes reduces growth?

It is the microeconomic changes in behavior from increasing taxes.

I think what is most amusing about Martin L’s criticisms of my analysis
is that he makes so statements to which his criticisms actually apply.
Beside his complaint about my improper calculation of statistical
significance, Martin’s also complains about the “uncontrolled
confounding factors are easy to point out”. In fact, I look at time
series data in order to minimize confounding (the is what
quasi-experimental design is about, the idea being that it is unlikely
that other variables will be systematically confounded with time
variations in the variables of interest – like taxes and growth - if
these variables are looked at over a long period of time).

So I am well aware of the possibility of confounding and make every
effort to minimize the possibility in my economic analyses. But when
Martin talks about what he considers data he evidences absolutely no
concern about possible confoundings. For example, Martin says: “The
boats being lifted [by US tax cutting policies] are huge new middle
classes in India
and China and the world is better for it”. So Martin has no problem
attributing causality to the one co-occurrence of US tax cuts and the
growth of the middle class in China and India, ignoring all the other
events (possible confoundings) that occurred in US and the world the
same time.

I think several phenomena are being conflated here. The reasons the
boats being lifted are in China and India rather than in the US are
more complex than mere tax cuts in the US. Yes, it took economic
growth to lift those boats, but India and China did have some
comparative advantages in labor costs and regulatory environment, and
US taxes were still relatively high even after tax cuts, and of course,
free trade and globalization policies also assisted in allowing the
transfer of productive activity to India and China. When someone is
engaging in nationalist rhetoric and demagoguing the rich as arguments
for a more coercive policy, I don’t need rigorous statistical proof for
these things. I merely need to weave a plausible alternative
explantion of the facts. The evidential standard for proposing
freedom rather than coercion is lower.

Another example of Martin’s ability to do without
quasi-experimental control of possible confounding variables occurs in
the following analysis:

“The aim [of the tax cuts] was economic efficiency and growth.
Complicating matters is
that the Federal Reserve, which is supposed to be neutral in the
allocation of the returns from increased productivity between labor and
capital, took sides. By considering increases in wages inflationary
and tightening, it saw to it that nearly all the benefit of increased
productivity went to capital. The Repubs and Democrats were both
stupid in not recognizing and correcting this. The double taxation of
returns to equity and high tax rates also decreased the attractiveness
of the US economy as a place for investiment”.

Again, Martin is able to tell that the reason the tax cuts were not
associated with the intended results (lifting all boats) was the Fed
raised rates. Of all the many events going on in the US at this
particular time Martin is again able to tell (without the help of
quasi-experimental control) that Fed rate increases trump the effect of
tax cuts.

The fact is that Martin L. doesn’t seem to care all that much about
data. I think most free-marketers don’t care about or even like data
very much. Why would they? When the data contradict everything you
believe about economics then one of the best policies is to ignore it.
That’s just basic PCT.

Once again, all I have to do is weave a plausible alternative story.
I’m not proposing coercive measures. The plausible alternative serves
two purposes, it points out that the coercive policies may not be
needed, and it subtly shows how poorly understood the economy is, so
that even if there is a crying “need” for the coercive policy, there is
the real possibility that it may not have the desired effect, but even
the opposite effect instead. Everything else being equal, raising
taxes increases revenues, but everything else isn’t equal is it? Not
only do taxes taken from the rightful owners preclude what those people
would have done with the money, the taxes result in other changes in
behavior.

I admit, the nonlinear nature of the economy works both ways. While
my hope is that my proposal to eliminate the double taxation on
dividends combined with capping the deductability of interest will
result in more equity financing and lower levels of leverage in the
economy, the preference for borrowing rather than sharing ownership may
be so great that even more economic activity gets transferred to for
favorable environments.

If the Democrats want to suck the productive elements of society dry,
then they must take a lesson from the USSR and prevent them from
escaping while they still have any juice in them. While the USSR went
to the extremis of armed guards, barbed wire and mine fields, the
Democrats must, at least, oppose free trade and globalization.

You
also seem to be sidestepping another point made by Rick: he said
“Several times in recent years I have seen statistics showing that for
the last century or so each time the ownership of all the country’s
resources owned by the top 1% of the population has increased until -
with the latest one I’ve seen (within the last year) - it has reached
over 80%.”

This actually was said by Dick Robertson. It seems like an incomplete
sentence. I think Dick’s point was that “each time a large share of
ownership goes to a small share of the population the economy goes into
a dive”. I would say this counts for income as well. I’m attaching a
graph of the share of GDI (gross domestic income) going to the top .01%
of the population of the US. Note how the share of income went up (to
5%) right before the Great Depression, then after decreasing to 1% and
staying there for a long time it took off again starting as soon as
Reagan came into office. The graph peaks out again (at 6%) right before
the second great depression of 2008-2009. Coincidence? I don’t think so

It may not be a coincidence. Depressions may hit the extremely rich
particularly hard, or recessions may turn into depressions, because the
top 0.01% get demonized and their wealth confiscated, or the wealthy
get shamed into philanthropy instead of continuing productive
activities. Certainly there is a natural human tendency for
politicians to blame others than themselves. Were there no government
or federal reserve policies that contributed to the concentration of
wealth? I’ve already pointed some out.

Humans have to deal with a complex nonlinear environment often with
only fuzzy incomplete local information. Perhaps our tendency to
develop moral rules and simplified principles and models had adaptive
benefits in such environments. Perhaps they have no predictive value,
just persuasive value? I’d like to think there is value to
generalizing from simplified micro-economic models, but there may not
be. I do like freedom, and appreciate that at least a plausible case
can be made that it works better than coercion.

Democrats like to distort the market in ways that create perverse
incentives, and then blame the people for following those incentives
off a cliff. Even the simple models we already have, predict such
results, although market resiliance makes the timing of the predictions
notoriously bad, sometimes off by a decade or more.

Martin L.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.22.2115 UT)]

�Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.�

-- Richard Strauss

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.22.1501 MST)]

BP: So I don’t see any reason to
give up on modeling economies, though I wouldn’t force any of my initial
ideas on anyone. And I see some very important reasons for trying to
construct a model, the main one being that until we have models of
economic phenomena that predict correctly, nobody’s opinions on the
subject are worth a thing. Heated arguments about economics are really
about other subjects, including the private problems of those doing the
arguing.

ML: Any PCT model will be bottom
up. I doubt we can ever have enough initial state information to
predict maco-economic trajectories. But it may aid in predicting
some of the types of microeconomic behavior that will result from tax and
other policies.

BP: You may be right about the bottom-up approach, but I don’t think
you’re familiar with the kind of modeling I do; perhaps
“simulation” would suggest a more appropriate idea. The idea
isn’t to set up a set of initial conditions and then copmpute the
trajectories implied by the model to see what happens. It’s to create an
organized system, via computation, which has properties that predict its
behavior from one moment to the next, including all the nonlinearities
and feedback loops that exist in that organization. Once set up, this
system can then be subjected to any sorts of external conditions and
internal policies one wants to explore, and its behavior can be recorded
just as if it’s the real system (to the extent its degree of detail
permits).
The models I have tried so far have several levels of organization in
them. The bottom level consists of the relationships and rules that exist
in the enviroment and in the basic transactions between people. For
example, if we don’t consider credit, when I buy some good from you, my
stock of that kind of good increases by the number I have bought, while
your inventory of that good decreases by the same number. At the same
time your reserve of money increases by the price per good times the
number of goods, while my reserve decreases by the same amount. If we put
that into the model, I doubt that anyone could deny it with a straight
face.
This picture can be left simple at first, and then added to as the model
develops. We can create more examples of simple processes, such as a
worker who produces a certain amount of goods per hour, and earns a
certain wage per hour, the work being reflected as an increase in the
employer’s inventory and the wages as a transfer from the employer’s cash
reserve to the worker’s cash reserve. The worker’s productivity is a
function of the worker’s performance rating and the machinery that is
used to facilitate production. The machinery costs money to purchase from
other suppliers (another goods-price relationship in both directions) and
its production efficiency decreases with time, being offset by
maintenance costs that involve both materials and labor. We can have
non-productive participants who have contributed money to the employer’s
reserve, and who get in return dividends, rents, royalties, and interest.
We might want to introduce banking and credit at this stage, or leave
that for a later version as we explore with happens without
them.
And so on to any lengths deemed appropriate for constructing a trial
model. At this level, human economic psychology doesn’t enter at all;
we’re just trying to set up the physical characteristics of the system,
the field on which economics is played out. Even at this stage, we will
discover feedback loops and other complexities that aren’t obvious on
first inspection, and we can experiment by perturbing the system and
seeing what it does, or fails to do. It should be possible to do some
reality checks even without knowing anything about the human actors; for
example, I don’t think it would be too hard to check out the predictions
concerning what happens to inventories and reserves when goods are
purchased. We know, of course, what will happen, but it does no harm to
test even what seems obvious. When the obvious doesn’t happen, we learn
something new.
All this can be done in computer simulations very handily; the computer
doesn’t care how complicated the simulations get. We can set up programs
for N goods made buy M companies with all sorts of wages, productivity,
machinery, and investment money, and all sorts of pricings. We can even
posit markets of various sizes and properties.
We would have to start adding higher levels to the model to introduce
consumers with different preferences for different goods, and producers
following different policies and pricing strategies. We could try out
various models of the agents: satisficers versus maximizers, for example,
or reactive units driven by supply or proactive units driven by internal
reference levels – demand.
The model doesn’t have to favor PCT or any other theory of behavior. The
point of the model is to allow us to test different theories and see how
they compare for realism, for their ability to predict the kind of thing
that actually happens. We can do this without using any jargon or derived
concepts like supply and demand.
I think that just setting up a bottom level for the model would do a
great deal to clear the air and focus the discussion on the real issues.
Instead of the discussion being carried on by assertions and denials of
unprovable statements, or by appeals to common sense, authority, or
imaginary data, we could start asking questions: what happens if, what’s
the effect of this on that, what’s the relationship between this and
that. What are the emergent properties of this system?

That’s my idea of how to start modeling the economy. I haven’t seen signs
of anyone doing it this way anywhere else, though I don’t know the field.
I’m trying to find ways of doing it that don’t rely on any preconceptions
or favor any point of view (even my own), a way that will allow all
people of good will to reach agreement where possible, and admit
ignorance while that remains appropriate. I want to remove any excuse for
'tis-so-'taint-so squabbles better left behind in third grade.

But I’m damned if I’ll put in a lot more effort on this if there’s
neither interest in it or support for it, from anyone but Rick.

Best,

Bill P.

[Shannon Williams (2010.02.22.21:30 CST)]

But I'm damned if I'll put in a lot more effort on this if there's neither
interest in it or support for it, from anyone but Rick.

I support you Bill !!! I can only offer encouragement though.
Voters need a model of the economy. Voters need to be able to SEE how
trade is affected by different policies. Most people tend to view
money as though it were nuts/wheat or some other resource harvested
from the environment and properly saved in times of plenty so that it
can be used in times of scarcity. This belief is appropriate to
nuts/wheat. It probably began 10 thousand years ago when there was no
money. As money became more and more common, the belief was
transferred to money. But now, everyone uses money, and if everyone
treated money like Scrooge did then trade would disappear. Our
nations would collapse. If our laws support the Scrooges of the
world- well, that is not good either. The Scrooges get richer and
richer, and everyone else becomes unhappy because life is so hard.

Please keep working on it Bill.

Shannon

[From Martin Lewitt (2010.02.22.2000MST)]

I was certain that this type of simulation had been done before. A
search on

microeconomic simulation site:.edu

returned 165000 hits on google. What you described is an agent based
simulation, here is a link to one called Aspen

I had forgotten, that I had read about this particular simulator while
I was at the lab, until I saw this link. The relevance of PCT would be
to improving the realism of individual agents. But could enough real
PCT data be gathered to improve over a simple parametrized stochastic
representation of the agents.
Martin L

···

http://www.colby.edu/economics/faculty/mrdonihu/mcs/aspen.pdf

BP: So I don’t see any
reason to
give up on modeling economies, though I wouldn’t force any of my
initial
ideas on anyone. And I see some very important reasons for trying to
construct a model, the main one being that until we have models of
economic phenomena that predict correctly, nobody’s opinions on the
subject are worth a thing. Heated arguments about economics are really
about other subjects, including the private problems of those doing the
arguing.

ML: Any PCT model will
be bottom
up. I doubt we can ever have enough initial state information to
predict maco-economic trajectories. But it may aid in predicting
some of the types of microeconomic behavior that will result from tax
and
other policies.

BP: You may be right about the bottom-up approach, but I don’t think
you’re familiar with the kind of modeling I do; perhaps
“simulation” would suggest a more appropriate idea. The idea
isn’t to set up a set of initial conditions and then copmpute the
trajectories implied by the model to see what happens. It’s to create
an
organized system, via computation, which has properties that predict
its
behavior from one moment to the next, including all the nonlinearities
and feedback loops that exist in that organization. Once set up, this
system can then be subjected to any sorts of external conditions and
internal policies one wants to explore, and its behavior can be
recorded
just as if it’s the real system (to the extent its degree of detail
permits).

The models I have tried so far have several levels of organization in
them. The bottom level consists of the relationships and rules that
exist
in the enviroment and in the basic transactions between people. For
example, if we don’t consider credit, when I buy some good from you, my
stock of that kind of good increases by the number I have bought, while
your inventory of that good decreases by the same number. At the same
time your reserve of money increases by the price per good times the
number of goods, while my reserve decreases by the same amount. If we
put
that into the model, I doubt that anyone could deny it with a straight
face.

This picture can be left simple at first, and then added to as the
model
develops. We can create more examples of simple processes, such as a
worker who produces a certain amount of goods per hour, and earns a
certain wage per hour, the work being reflected as an increase in the
employer’s inventory and the wages as a transfer from the employer’s
cash
reserve to the worker’s cash reserve. The worker’s productivity is a
function of the worker’s performance rating and the machinery that is
used to facilitate production. The machinery costs money to purchase
from
other suppliers (another goods-price relationship in both directions)
and
its production efficiency decreases with time, being offset by
maintenance costs that involve both materials and labor. We can have
non-productive participants who have contributed money to the
employer’s
reserve, and who get in return dividends, rents, royalties, and
interest.
We might want to introduce banking and credit at this stage, or leave
that for a later version as we explore with happens without
them.

And so on to any lengths deemed appropriate for constructing a trial
model. At this level, human economic psychology doesn’t enter at all;
we’re just trying to set up the physical characteristics of the system,
the field on which economics is played out. Even at this stage, we will
discover feedback loops and other complexities that aren’t obvious on
first inspection, and we can experiment by perturbing the system and
seeing what it does, or fails to do. It should be possible to do some
reality checks even without knowing anything about the human actors;
for
example, I don’t think it would be too hard to check out the
predictions
concerning what happens to inventories and reserves when goods are
purchased. We know, of course, what will happen, but it does no harm to
test even what seems obvious. When the obvious doesn’t happen, we learn
something new.

All this can be done in computer simulations very handily; the computer
doesn’t care how complicated the simulations get. We can set up
programs
for N goods made buy M companies with all sorts of wages, productivity,
machinery, and investment money, and all sorts of pricings. We can even
posit markets of various sizes and properties.

We would have to start adding higher levels to the model to introduce
consumers with different preferences for different goods, and producers
following different policies and pricing strategies. We could try out
various models of the agents: satisficers versus maximizers, for
example,
or reactive units driven by supply or proactive units driven by
internal
reference levels – demand.

The model doesn’t have to favor PCT or any other theory of behavior.
The
point of the model is to allow us to test different theories and see
how
they compare for realism, for their ability to predict the kind of
thing
that actually happens. We can do this without using any jargon or
derived
concepts like supply and demand.

I think that just setting up a bottom level for the model would do a
great deal to clear the air and focus the discussion on the real
issues.
Instead of the discussion being carried on by assertions and denials of
unprovable statements, or by appeals to common sense, authority, or
imaginary data, we could start asking questions: what happens if,
what’s
the effect of this on that, what’s the relationship between this and
that. What are the emergent properties of this system?

That’s my idea of how to start modeling the economy. I haven’t seen
signs
of anyone doing it this way anywhere else, though I don’t know the
field.
I’m trying to find ways of doing it that don’t rely on any
preconceptions
or favor any point of view (even my own), a way that will allow all
people of good will to reach agreement where possible, and admit
ignorance while that remains appropriate. I want to remove any excuse
for
'tis-so-'taint-so squabbles better left behind in third grade.

But I’m damned if I’ll put in a lot more effort on this if there’s
neither interest in it or support for it, from anyone but Rick.

Best,

Bill P.

[FromBruce Gregory (2010.02.23.1215 UT)]

[From Martin Lewitt (2010.02.22.2000MST)]

I was certain that this type of simulation had been done before. A
search on

returned 165000 hits on google. What you described is an agent based
simulation, here is a link to one called Aspen

I had forgotten, that I had read about this particular simulator while
I was at the lab, until I saw this link. The relevance of PCT would be
to improving the realism of individual agents. But could enough real
PCT data be gathered to improve over a simple parametrized stochastic
representation of the agents.

A nice example of the wisdom of looking before leaping.

Bruce

···

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.23.0626 MST)]

Martin Lewitt (2010.02.22.2000MST) –

ML: I was certain that this type
of simulation had been done before. A search on

returned 165000 hits on google. What you described is an agent
based simulation, here is a link to one called Aspen

I had forgotten, that I had read about this particular simulator while I
was at the lab, until I saw this link. The relevance of PCT would
be to improving the realism of individual agents. But could enough
real PCT data be gathered to improve over a simple parametrized
stochastic representation of the agents.

Excellent find! I knew there was such a thing as agent-based economic
theories, but those I found were concerned with investment strategies and
playing the markets. This is the first one I’ve seen that actually gets
down to the level of institutional agents and the real-time interactions
among them, including consumers (“households”). They’ve
considered all the factors I used in my model and a lot more (I planned
to get to the rest eventually, but didn’t know enough to know what should
be included). Just what I was hoping to get from our PCT economists, in
vain. I think I’ve been searching on the wrong term: macroeconomics
rather than microeconomics. I see that the authors call their model a
microeconomic simulation, though the results they get are very
macroeconomic.

Basu, Pryor, and Quint, the authors, are not listed on the web pages
about faculty at Colby. Do you know when this paper was published? It
doesn’t contain any dates. Or where any of the authors might be right
now? I’d like to get in touch with them, since they would obviously be
favorable to my approach, and PCT might prove useful as a better model
than the “rational expectations” one I keep coming across. It
would be lovely to work with people who start out on my side. Once you
get rid of rational expectation, the PCT model falls right into
place.

Of course maybe their modeling efforts have drawn the same kind of
enthusiastic support that mine have, and were abandoned. In any case, I’d
like to write to them. I’ll try asking some of the Colby faculty who are
still there.

Oops, I just found a “Rich Prior” at Sandia National
Laboratories and a mention of their program, “Aspen.” I’ll try
him first.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Richard Kennaway (2010.02.23.1421 GMT)]

Basu, Pryor, and Quint, the authors, are not listed on the web pages about faculty at Colby. Do you know when this paper was published? It doesn't contain any dates. Or where any of the authors might be right now? I'd like to get in touch with them, since they would obviously be favorable to my approach, and PCT might prove useful as a better model than the "rational expectations" one I keep coming across. It would be lovely to work with people who start out on my side. Once you get rid of rational expectation, the PCT model falls right into place.

Googling on the title brought me to ASPEN: A Microsimulation Model of the Economy
where there's a link to the original publication in "Computational Economics". Copied from the beginning of the full text:

Computational Economics 12: 223�241, 1998. 223-241, 1998
ASPEN: A Microsimulation Model of the Economy?
N. BASU 1, R. PRYOR 2 and T. QUINT 3
1 AT&T Customer Sciences, 295 North Maple Avenue, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920, USA;
2 Sandia National Laboratories, Mailstop 1109, P.O. Box 5800, Albuquerque, NM 87185, USA;
3 Department of Mathematics, University of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557, USA

The research programme continues at http://www.cs.sandia.gov/tech_reports/rjpryor/aspen.html.

···

--
Richard Kennaway, jrk@cmp.uea.ac.uk, Richard Kennaway
School of Computing Sciences,
University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.23.1440 UT)]

Once you
get rid of rational expectation, the PCT model falls right into
place.

Could you remind me as to what perceptions you envision the agents to be controlling?

Bruce

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.23.-0745 MST)]

From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.23.1440 UT) --

BG: Could you remind me as to what perceptions you envision the agents to be controlling?

I had only a few agents. The consumers (just one average consumer) controlled for a reference amount of goods in their own inventories (which they drew on for consumption) and a reference level of money in their cash reserves. When they used goods up, they bought more to control their inventories of goods. This reduced their cash reserves, and they worked increased hours per day to restore them. There was only one good, and only one price for that good, though the price could be varied by the producers. There was only one wage.

Later, of course, there were to be multiple consumers with different wages and different reference levels for many different goods, as well as money, and multiple producers making multiple goods, some in competition with others.

The producers controlled for inventory by varying prices to keep inventory constant at some reference level. They also controlled their own cash reserves at a reference level by means of varying the fraction of income that went to capital distributions -- investors and owners, so profit was included here. When times were bad, dividends were skipped. Wages and productivity were simply set to user-determined values -- wage negotiations were the next thing I planned to work on after introducing banks. Never got that far. I just assumed a fixed money supply with no leakage.

All inventories could have an adjustable depreciation rate, and the rate of usage of goods by wage earners and reipients of capital income could be adjusted, too.

The main feature of this model that is different from other models is the assumption that managers and consumers are control systems and seek specific levels of goods and wealth.

There was a small bit of recognition that credit exists, in that the amount of cash reserves, consumer or producer, could go negative (a compiler switch could rule that out).

This model had no financial superstructure. I planned to add that after the basic mechanical interactions were defined. I didn't get into the factors that affect productivity, either. The agenda was pretty extensive.

The Sandia people have added much more detail to this model, with more agents, but they seem not to have used a control-system model for the consumers or managers. That makes quite a difference, because consumers to not maximize their consumption; they seek goals, just as Simon showed that managers do. And the Aspen model assumed a genetic-algorithm means of setting prices, which I don't think is necessary (though I suppose a new business has to do some experimenting with pricing strategies). I think the most obvious driver of pricing is sales: if inventories are falling, you can raise prices; if they are rising, you have a SALE! Of course income matters, too, and I had not yet included that as a factor for determining pricing. Once you get the idea that the agents and consumers are purposive systems, however, there's no reason to assume that pricing is either random or based on maximizing something. It's a means of controlling something.

I'll see if the guys at Sandia are interested in merging PCT into their program.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.22.0825 MST)]

Shannon Williams (2010.02.22.21:30 CST) --

Please keep working on it Bill.

Thanks for the support, Shannon!

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.02.23.1644 UT)]

[From Bill Powers (2010.02.23.-0745 MST)]

The main feature of this model that is different from other models is the assumption that managers and consumers are control systems and seek specific levels of goods and wealth.

This suggests to me that you were concerned with developing an equilibrium model of the economy. I only note this because the current economic gyrations reveal the limits of equilibrium models. This is not intended as a criticism, simply an observation.

Bruce