arcs and rings in an oriented crowd

This draft has been sitting unsent for a while, provoking thought.

Near the bottom of the attached picture, left of center, people have formed a ring. It appears that they are not controlling proximity to a point of interest. The space in the ring appears to be empty.

It is image number 25 at

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2019/06/photos-of-the-week-mammoth-swing-stanley-cup-frog-wedding/591667/

The caption there seems inaccurate. It says:

"Runners pass houses during the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge company run in the city center of Frankfurt, Germany, on June 12, 2019. "

I would grant that they are runners, but not passing anything; probably assembled for the start of the run.

The ring configuration identifies them to an observer as a group distinct from those around them. Does it do so for them as well, as participants? They surely perceive the open space in front of each of them within their circle as distinct from the crowded spaces behind and to either side of each of them.

A baker’s dozen face the empty center of their circle (or they face those on the opposite side), with three more in the circle but distracted from it. The runners in the crowd in general have their bodies facing in what I presume is the direction in which they will be running, though turned heads indicate diverse foci of immediate visual attention.

I would guess that the colors are of running clothes provided by the competing corporations; that the people in the ring regard themselves as a team within the larger group from their company; and that the circle and the empty space within it result from controlling to see and communicate with one another as such.