Asking about Disruptions

Method of Levels (MOL) 2nd goal: asking about disruptions is crucial to facilitate the client to experience conscious awareness on higher-level perceptions, where reorganization can have an effect on conflict and distress.

During MOL sessions, the therapist often inquires multiple times about disruptions. From my experience, clients tend to be less open to explore their disruptions if I ask about them in the same way, for example, by repeating the same question. Perhaps they sense being confronted due to their external expressions, or maybe repeating the same question takes them back to the same perception that has already been explored.

Varying the types of questions the therapist asks when noticing a disruption seems important, as this variety keeps the exploration flowing and facilitates the client in sustaining their own curiosity about their perceptions.

@Evadeh has a really useful article about MOL questions posted on her site: Which question to ask? – Perceptual Control Theory

To facilitate increasing the repertoire of questions for MOL practitioners, I have prepared a short video to practice asking about disruptions. In this case, only non-verbal ones.

In this video, you will be able to see the Argentinian football coach in the 2022 World Cup’s final match, when the team scores the last goal through penalties, becoming world champions. There are a series of “disruptions” indicated with numbers on the left side of the screen, from #1 to #7 (there are some more as well). The exercise is to share 7 different ways of asking about disruptions if you had the chance to be talking to the coach as if he was in a MOL session.

For example,
#1: What is making you smile right now?
#2: What is going through your mind as you cover your mouth?

All your answers will help me and others to increase our variety of questions, so thanks in advance.

Matias

PS: Disruption #7 is one of the most emotive moments I’ve seen in football recently.

1 Like

Great exercise, and a video applicable regardless of language. Thanks Matias!

1 Like