[Attachment Removed] RE: The Feedback Function

[From Fred Nickols (2016.07.03.0753 ET)]

Thanks, Martin. My questions have to do with my efforts to integrate PCT with my consulting practice; in particular, the notion that change is indirect, that is, you don’t change “it,” you change something else and it changes as a result. Hence the notion of proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables. Those in turn tie to the feedback function – or so I think. More specifically, when we are trying to control some variable that is far removed from us in space and/or time, we are facing with having to change some things “over here” in order to realize the desired result “over there.” Thus our actions (A) tie to our target (T) the variable we are trying to control/affect by way of the feedback function which, to me, contains proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables. The diagram below should illustrate.

image00244.png

My approach usually involves mapping the larger structure in which the Target variable is embedded and then looking for variables we can affect through direct, immediate action and the effects of which will “ripple through” that structure, eventually making themselves felt on the Target variable.

Does this make sense?

Fred Nickols

image0012.emz (5.25 KB)

···

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:00 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: The Feedback Function

[Martin Taylor 2016.06.29.23.49]

[From Fred Nickols (2016.06.29.1240 ET)]

Not long ago, Dag Forsell, “nitpicked” my PCT diagram, indicating that it did not include a “disturbance” function. Instead, it showed the disturbance going directly against the controlled variable or input quantity. I added the disturbance function.

That fix led me to revisit the “feedback function” which, as I understand it, is the means, mechanism or path by which output affects the input quantity or controlled variable. I’ve got some questions about that.

Let’s suppose I want to register for a test (I’m going back to my days at ETS). I am controlling for being registered for the test. To do that, I have to obtain, fill out and submit a registration form. That involves things like extracting the registration form from the test bulletin, getting a pen or pencil, reading and following the instructions for filling out the form, checking to make sure I’ve filled it out correctly, making any necessary corrections, folding the completed registration form, inserting it in an envelope, sealing the envelope, affixing a stamp, and placing it in the mail box. Hopefully, before long, I receive an email notifying me that I am registered and providing me with the time, date and place of the test administration. Voila! I am registered.

There are lots of different “outputs” along the way. Lots of different reference signals at work. And lots of levels of the HPTCT hierarchy involved.

But, at its most basic, it seems to me that the “feedback function” related to my goal or reference of being registered to take the test, consists of and involves all that stuff I mentioned above.

Do I have that right?

In a word, “Yes”.

In more words, the feedback function includes everything that happens between the output of the control unit, which is its contribution to lower-level reference values (except for the very lowest-level outputs that are directly connected to muscles), and the inputs to its Perceptual Input Function. Almost all environmental feedback functions include many lower-level controlled variables, as well as inanimate connections such as wires and radio signals in the physical environment of the organism.

One has to be careful not to be misled into thinking of the environment of a control unit as starting at the skin of the organism. It starts at the distribution to lower levels of the output of the output function of the unit and continues to the collection from the lower levels of contributions to its perceptual input function. So the controlled perceptions you mention are indeed parts of the feedback function of the controller of the perception " myself registered for the test" which starts with some error (reference value “yes”, perceptual value “no”) and if you did everything right ends up with no error (reference and perception both “yes”).

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2016.07.03.1250)]

image00244.png

···

Fred Nickols (2016.07.03.0753 ET)]

Â

FN: Thanks, Martin. My questions have to do with my efforts to integrate PCT with my consulting practice; in particular, the notion that change is indirect, that is, you don’t change “it,â€? you change something else and it changes as a result. Hence the notion of proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables. Those in turn tie to the feedback function – or so I think. More specifically, when we are trying to control some variable that is far removed from us in space and/or time, we are facing with having to change some things “over hereâ€? in order to realize the desired result “over there.â€? Thus our actions (A) tie to our target (T) the variable we are trying to control/affect by way of the feedback function which, to me, contains proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables.Â

RM: PCT already explains the ability to control a remote result “over there” via actions that have proximate effects “over here”. There is a demonstration of this phenomenon at

http://www.pct-labs.com/tutorial1/index.html

RM: Go to Step K, Control of Remote Effects. The demo allows you to do the control of a remote effects (rather than a model control system) – and you should be able to do it just as well as you do the compensatory tracking demo (Step F). But a standard control model can control the remote effect in this demo just as well as you can. So the steps in a feedback function don’t change the situation for the controlled at all; the “remote effect” is produce just as well with or without the extra steps.Â

RM: Perhaps what you meant by intermediate steps is something different than the steps that are part of the feedback function. I think what you might be referring to as “steps” are the variables that must be controlled as the means of producing a “remote result”. For example, there are a lot of intermediate steps between pressing the keys on a keyboard and producing this email. But each of those steps – like typing letters, words, sentences, meanings, arguments – is a controlled perception; and some perceptions are controlled as the means of controlling others. So I control the perception of the letters I type as the means of controlling the perception of the words I produce which I control as the means of controlling the perception of the sentences I write, etc. The most remote result of my typing actions – the argument I want to make – is the highest level perception I am controlling; and I am controlling all those lower level perceptions as the means of controlling that perception.Â

RM: So I think PCT, as is, handles the question of how people produce remote effects (remote in time or space) from proximal effects (what we call “outputs”). What I think might be most worthwhile for your management work would be to map out the perceptual variables controlled when people do certain tasks and then test to see if this mapping seems to work. That is, do what I never really completed doing: a task analysis based on PCT. In case you haven’t read it (it’s reprinted in More Mind Readings) I put a copy up here:Â

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw54s4hk5xo8bf/PERCOLATe.pdf?dl=0

FN: I’m sure you could extend and improve that work substantially.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

The diagram below should illustrate.

Â

Â

FN: My approach usually involves mapping the larger structure in which the Target variable is embedded and then looking for variables we can affect through direct, immediate action and the effects of which will “ripple throughâ€? that structure, eventually making themselves felt on the Target variable.

Â

FN: Does this make sense?

Â

Â

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

Â

Not long ago, Dag Forsell, “nitpickedâ€? my PCT diagram, indicating that it did not include a “disturbanceâ€? function. Instead, it showed the disturbance going directly against the controlled variable or input quantity. I added the disturbance function.

Â

That fix led me to revisit the “feedback functionâ€? which, as I understand it, is the means, mechanism or path by which output affects the input quantity or controlled variable. I’ve got some questions about that.

Â

Let’s suppose I want to register for a test (I’m going back to my days at ETS). I am controlling for being registered for the test. To do that, I have to obtain, fill out and submit a registration form. That involves things like extracting the registration form from the test bulletin, getting a pen or pencil, reading and following the instructions for filling out the form, checking to make sure I’ve filled it out correctly, making any necessary corrections, folding the completed registration form, inserting it in an envelope, sealing the envelope, affixing a stamp, and placing it in the mail box. Hopefully, before long, I receive an email notifying me that I am registered and providing me with the time, date and place of the test administration. Voila! I am registered.

Â

There are lots of different “outputsâ€? along the way. Lots of different reference signals at work. And lots of levels of the HPTCT hierarchy involved.

Â

But, at its most basic, it seems to me that the “feedback functionâ€? related to my goal or reference of being registered to take the test, consists of and involves all that stuff I mentioned above.

Do I have that right?

Â

Â

In a word, “Yes”.

In more words, the feedback function includes everything that happens between the output of the control unit, which is its contribution to lower-level reference values (except for the very lowest-level outputs that are directly connected to muscles), and the inputs to its Perceptual Input Function. Almost all environmental feedback functions include many lower-level controlled variables, as well as inanimate connections such as wires and radio signals in the physical environment of the organism.

One has to be careful not to be misled into thinking of the environment of a control unit as starting at the skin of the organism. It starts at the distribution to lower levels of the output of the output function of the unit and continues to the collection from the lower levels of contributions to its perceptual input function. So the controlled perceptions you mention are indeed parts of the feedback function of the controller of the perception " myself registered for the test" which starts with some error (reference value “yes”, perceptual value “no”) and if you did everything right ends up with no error (reference and perception both “yes”).

Martin

Richard S. MarkenÂ

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We
have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for
others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for
themselves.” – William T. Powers

[From Fred Nickols (2016.07.03.1639 ET)]

I wasn’t talking about “steps,� Rick, I was talking about variables. That said, I will check out the two links you sent.

Fred Nickols

image00244.png

···

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Attachment Removed] RE: The Feedback Function

FN: Thanks, Martin. My questions have to do with my efforts to integrate PCT with my consulting practice; in particular, the notion that change is indirect, that is, you don’t change “it,â€? you change something else and it changes as a result. Hence the notion of proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables. Those in turn tie to the feedback function – or so I think. More specifically, when we arre trying to control some variable that is far removed from us in space and/or time, we are facing with having to change some things “over hereâ€? in order to realize the desired result “over there.â€? Thus our actions (A) tie to our target (T) the variable we are trying to control/affect by way of the feedback function which, to me, contains proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables.

RM: PCT already explains the ability to control a remote result “over there” via actions that have proximate effects “over here”. There is a demonstration of this phenomenon at

http://www.pct-labs.com/tutorial1/index.html.

RM: Go to Step K, Control of Remote Effects. The demo allows you to do the control of a remote effects (rather than a model control system) – and you should be able to do it just as well as you do the compensatory tracking demo (Step F). But a standard control model can control the remote effect in this demo just as well as you can. So the steps in a feedback function don’t change the situation for the controlled at all; the “remote effect” is produce just as well with or without the extra steps.

RM: Perhaps what you meant by intermediate steps is something different than the steps that are part of the feedback function. I think what you might be referring to as “steps” are the variables that must be controlled as the means of producing a “remote result”. For example, there are a lot of intermediate steps between pressing the keys on a keyboard and producing this email. But each of those steps – like typing letters, words, sentences, meanings, arguments – is a controlled perception; and some perceptions are controlled as the means of controlling others. So I control the perception of the letters I type as the means of controlling the perception of the words I produce which I control as the means of controlling the perception of the sentences I write, etc. The most remote result of my typing actions – the argument I want to make – is the highest level perception I am controlling; and I am controlling all those lower level perceptions as the means of controlling that perception.

RM: So I think PCT, as is, handles the question of how people produce remote effects (remote in time or space) from proximal effects (what we call “outputs”). What I think might be most worthwhile for your management work would be to map out the perceptual variables controlled when people do certain tasks and then test to see if this mapping seems to work. That is, do what I never really completed doing: a task analysis based on PCT. In case you haven’t read it (it’s reprinted in More Mind Readings) I put a copy up here:

FN: I’m sure you could extend and improve that work substantially.

Best

Rick

FN: My approach usually involves mapping the larger structure in which the Target variable is embedded and then looking for variables we can affect through direct, immediate action and the effects of which will “ripple through� that structure, eventually making themselves felt on the Target variable.

Fred Nickols

Not long ago, Dag Forsell, “nitpicked� my PCT diagram, indicating that it did not include a “disturbance� function. Instead, it showed the disturbance going directly against the controlled variable or input quantity. I added the disturbance function.

That fix led me to revisit the “feedback function� which, as I understand it, is the means, mechanism or path by which output affects the input quantity or controlled variable. I’ve got some questions about that.

Let’s suppose I want to register for a test (I’m going back to my days at ETS). I am controlling for being registered for the test. To do that, I have to obtain, fill out and submit a registration form. That involves things like extracting the registration form from the test bulletin, getting a pen or pencil, reading and following the instructions for filling out the form, checking to make sure I’ve filled it out correctly, making any necessary corrections, folding the completed registration form, inserting it in an envelope, sealing the envelope, affixing a stamp, and placing it in the mail box. Hopefully, before long, I receive an email notifying me that I am registered and providing me with the time, date and place of the test administration. Voila! I am registered.

There are lots of different “outputs� along the way. Lots of different reference signals at work. And lots of levels of the HPTCT hierarchy involved.

But, at its most basic, it seems to me that the “feedback function� related to my goal or reference of being registered to take the test, consists of and involves all that stuff I mentioned above.

Do I have that right?

In a word, “Yes”.

Martin

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for themselves.” – William T. Powers

[From Fred Nickols (2016.07.04.0917 ET)]

No, Rick, I hadn’t read the PERCOLATe paper. Thanks for pointing me to it. It prompts me to think about task analysis from a PCT perspective. I’ll let you know what comes to mind.

Fred Nickols

image00244.png

···

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Attachment Removed] RE: The Feedback Function

FN: Thanks, Martin. My questions have to do with my efforts to integrate PCT with my consulting practice; in particular, the notion that change is indirect, that is, you don’t change “it,â€? you change something else and it changes as a result. Hence the notion of proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables. Those in turn tie to the feedback function – or so I think. More speecifically, when we are trying to control some variable that is far removed from us in space and/or time, we are facing with having to change some things “over hereâ€? in order to realize the desired result “over there.â€? Thus our actions (A) tie to our target (T) the variable we are trying to control/affect by way of the feedback function which, to me, contains proximate, intermediate and ultimate variables.

http://www.pct-labs.com/tutorial1/index.html.

RM: Go to Step K, Control of Remote Effects. The demo allows you to do the control of a remote effects (rather than a model control system) – and you should be able to do it just as well as you do the compensatory tracking demo (Step F). But a standard control model can control the remote effect in this demo just as well as you can. So the steps in a feedback function don’t change the situation for the controlled at all; the “remote effect” is produce just as well with or without the extra steps.

RM: Perhaps what you meant by intermediate steps is something different than the steps that are part of the feedback function. I think what you might be referring to as “steps” are the variables that must be controlled as the means of producing a “remote result”. For example, there are a lot of intermediate steps between pressing the keys on a keyboard and producing this email. But each of those steps – like typing letters, words, sentences, meanings, arguments – is a controlled perception; and some perceptions are controlled as the means of controlling others. So I control the perception of the letters I type as the means of controlling the perception of the words I produce which I control as the means of controlling the perception of the sentences I write, etc. The most remote result of my typing actions – the argument I want to make – is the highest level perception I am controlling; and I am controlling all those lower level perceptions as the means of controlling that perception.

RM: So I think PCT, as is, handles the question of how people produce remote effects (remote in time or space) from proximal effects (what we call “outputs”). What I think might be most worthwhile for your management work would be to map out the perceptual variables controlled when people do certain tasks and then test to see if this mapping seems to work. That is, do what I never really completed doing: a task analysis based on PCT. In case you haven’t read it (it’s reprinted in More Mind Readings) I put a copy up here:

FN: I’m sure you could extend and improve that work substantially.

Best

Rick

FN: My approach usually involves mapping the larger structure in which the Target variable is embedded and then looking for variables we can affect through direct, immediate action and the effects of which will “ripple through� that structure, eventually making themselves felt on the Target variable.

Fred Nickols

Not long ago, Dag Forsell, “nitpicked� my PCT diagram, indicating that it did not include a “disturbance� function. Instead, it showed the disturbance going directly against the controlled variable or input quantity. I added the disturbance function.

That fix led me to revisit the “feedback function� which, as I understand it, is the means, mechanism or path by which output affects the input quantity or controlled variable. I’ve got some questions about that.

There are lots of different “outputs� along the way. Lots of different reference signals at work. And lots of levels of the HPTCT hierarchy involved.

But, at its most basic, it seems to me that the “feedback function� related to my goal or reference of being registered to take the test, consists of and involves all that stuff I mentioned above.

Do I have that right?

In a word, “Yes”.

Martin

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for themselves.” – William T. Powers