B:CP Chapter 12:

[From Rupert Young (2013.09.28 11.30 BST)]

A good overview of the first five-levels. Some questions though:
* Why are second-order functions more explicit than first-order?
On page 150-151
* I had thought that first-order signals represent the intensity corresponding to a single environmental quantity, yet, on pg 150 a first-order signal is described by a weighted sum, s1,1 = a1q1 + b1q2. If s1,1 is the first-order sensor what is doing the scaling? If it is the nervous system then surely whatever is responding to q1 and q2 are the first-order sensors?
* If s2,1 (second-order) only responds to q1 then surely it is first-order?
Leading questions:

1. No, but it does imply that we do not experience it directly (whatever that might mean), and that perceptions are restricted (by the sensory domains) interpretations of an external reality, that may or may not exist.
2. Observations must be seen through the restricted filter of the perceptions. For example, we can only perceive a small band of the wavelengths of light of all possible wavelengths. Physics can make use of additional sensors, detector tools and equipment, to measure what is not available to us through our natural senses.
3. Well, the observer is assuming intent by the organism to generate a specific type of movement, but where do levels come in? Configuration, transition, intensity.
4. 3.2.
5. On its own as a configuration, in a sentence as a sequence. I would question that we can.

Regards,
Rupert

ยทยทยท

On 24/09/2013 04:28, Richard Marken wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2013.09.23.0830)]

Here is the summary of Ch. 11, Sequence Control. Comments welcome as usual. Again, no study guide for the next chapter (The Brains Model, Ch. 12). I have asked David to do the Summary of that chapter next week because I am running out of gas. But I would again like to thank those who have participated in the course-related discussions this week -- particularly Rupert Young (who provided me with much of this weeks summary) and John Kirkland (who reminded me, perhaps unintentionally, that modeling is fundamental to PCT).

Best regards

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
<mailto:rsmarken@gmail.com>> rsmarken@gmail.com
<http://www.mindreadings.com>> www.mindreadings.com