B:CP Chapter 16 Experimental methods

[From Rupert Young (2013.11.16 13.00 UT)]

Chapter 16 gives a clear explanation of how the theory of PCT can be tested, with the Test for the Controlled Variable. I had a rough idea of how the TCV worked but it was useful to go over it again in detail, particularly with respect to the behaviour of the controlled variable under test; that it doesn't change.

The coin and rubber band games are simple and useful ways to explain and demonstrate the theory to others.

It is less obvious how dynamic references and the higher levels, involving complex abstract perceptions, could be tested, but the difficulties were acknowledged in the chapter.

···

--

Regards,
Rupert

[From Rick Marken (2013.11.19.1555)]

···

Rupert Young (2013.11.16 13.00 UT)]

Chapter 16 gives a clear explanation of how the theory of PCT can be tested, with the Test for the Controlled Variable. I had a rough idea of how the TCV worked but it was useful to go over it again in detail, particularly with respect to the behaviour of the controlled variable under test; that it doesn’t change.

The coin and rubber band games are simple and useful ways to explain and demonstrate the theory to others.

It is less obvious how dynamic references and the higher levels, involving complex abstract perceptions, could be tested, but the difficulties were acknowledged in the chapter.

Hi Rupert

Thanks for this. I’ll have soe more to say about experimental methods once I am able to come up for air long enough (from my other writing projects). But I would like to say that dynamic references are not necessarily that much of a problem for the TCV. My signature “Mind Reading” demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html) tests for control of of a variable (2 D position of an avatar) even if the reference for position is changing. So it can be done in carefully controlled circumstances; in the real world a varying reference may, indeed, present problems. Damn real world;-)

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com