Behavior or Maybe Not (was RE: Examples of everyday control (was Re: Somebody should take this on))

[From Fred Nickols (2015.10.22.1600)]

This thread reminds me of an incident in my early days in the human performance field. At the time, behavioral objectives were all the rage, and I was nervy enough to assert in a paper I wrote that one of the examples used by the famous guru of behavioral objectives, one Robert F. Mager, was not in fact a behavioral objective. He caught up with me at a cocktail party at the society’s conference and wanted to know what I meant. The example of his which I had labeled as not really being a behavioral objective was “Adjust an audiometer so that it is ready for use.� I pointed out to him that there is no such behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.� I further argued that at best it was what was known as a “patterned behavior� – that is, an activity that consisted of numerous behaviors. I said “Grasp the volume knob� might be a behavior. So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right until the meter indicates zero decibels.� I said that as an observer I could tell if someone were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I had no way of knowing that what someone was doing was “adjusting� the audiometer.

The importance of that distinction – then and now – is the distinction between actions and outcomes… An outcome, such as an audiometer that is ready for use, ties to the value of some variable “out thereâ€? – in this case, the readiness of the audiometer for use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user to which it is to be put.

Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the person readying it can vary widely and wildly but the end state remains the same.

Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a car� a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue no. At best, it’s one of those patterned behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering wheel� a behavior? Again, I think so. Is “accelerating� a behavior? I think not. That’s something the car not the driver is doing. Is “depressing the gas pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “changing lanes� a behavior? I think not. Again, that’s something the car is doing.

So even in the world of training and human performance, so intently focused on human behavior, the language they use trips them up, as it does us from time to time.

In the end, that’s what I like about PCT; namely, it is very facilitative of focusing on outcomes (i.e., reference signals for perceived variables) and on environmental conditions (i.e., disturbances) that might interfere with achieving a particular outcome.

I know nothing about research – the good kind or tthe bad – but I do know a good tool when I see it and PCT is a marveelous tool for those with an interest in human behavior and performance.

Fred Nickols

P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to read it.

···

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:44 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Examples of everyday control (was Re: Somebody should take this on)

[From Rupert Young (2015.10.22 21.00)]

(Rick Marken (2015.09.27.1250)

Rupert Young (2015.09.25 20.00)–

(Rick Marken (2015.09.23.1215)]

RM: The “Action” column is also identified as being the equivalent to the reference for the lower level perception (for example, to take a sip of tea you have to set a reference for perceiving the cup moved to your lips).

How about “Sub-goal” instead of “Action”, as a reference is a goal rather than an action? If we are talking about the reference at the next level down, this could enable us to think about the all the controlled variables going down the hierarchy.

RM: Sure. I’ve added it and attached the slightly revised spreadsheet. But I’ve keep “Action” too because the references set by higher level systems for lower level systems are the actions taken by the former to achieve their perceptual goals. In PCT, “action” at all levels (except for the lowest – intensity – level) are specifications for input, not commands for output.

May I make a few other structural suggestions, before I start adding records? “Sub-goal” and “Action” seem different, so maybe both would be appropriate, in different columns. “Action” suggests something happening now, whereas a sub-goal may extend over a long period of time (days, months etc). Also “Action” suggests, err, action, in that something, in the world, is actually being moved or manipulated, and doesn’t really correspond to outputs setting sub-goals, where there might not actually be any action (action column might be blank).

With the “Behavior” column being at the beginning (left) it seems that behavior is given prominence whereas perhaps prominence should be given to the controlled variable. As it is the controlled variable which is part of the system and should be the focus of discussion and analysis, whereas behaviour is the observed side effect of perceptual control. In other words have the “behavior” (and action) column on the right hand side. Then the spreadsheet would be organised by a single controlled variable (column “Controlled Variable” rather than “Controlled Variable(s)”).

I can see that the spreadsheet could get quite unwieldy as it grows and see a use for a grouping column in addition to “Type” and “Behavior”, to help users find if their suggestion already exists and to see the different goals/behaviours involved in a higher goal. A particular behaviour is likely to involve controlled variables at a number of different levels and this would useful for grouping different entries together. E.g. driving involves Opening a car door, Fastening seat belt, Depressing clutch etc. So an additional column with an entry of “Driving” might be useful for this. It could be called something like “Group” or “Domain” or “Purpose”.

RM: So how about adding some more examples of behavior (or, if you must, behaviour) to the spreadsheet!

Have been compiling some which I was going to send with this, but they are taking some time so will send later when done.

Rupert

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.24.1245)]

···

Fred Nickols (2015.10.22.1600)–

Â

FN:  I pointed out to him that there is no such behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.â€?Â

RM: The term “behavior” is not a technical term. It just refers to things we see people “doing”. I believe most people would be comfortable calling “adjusting an audiometer” something that people do: that it’s a behavior.Â

FN:  I said “Grasp the volume knobâ€? might be a behavior.Â

RM: Yes, it is. Just as much as “adjusting the audiometer” is a behavior; it is something people do. And both of these behaviors can be see as examples of control: there is a CV, reference state for the CV, a means of bringing the CV to the reference while protecting it from disturbance and disturbances that require that the means be varied appropriately to bring the CV to and maintain it in the reference state. How about  trying to put these two behaviors into the Behavior as Control spreadsheet at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit#gid=0

I’ve already entered the behavior names for you.Â

Â

FN: So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right until the meter indicates zero decibels.â€?Â

RM: What you have done in this sentence is named the means, cv and reference for the behavior we call “adjust the audiometer”. All that’s missing is one (or more) possible disturbances.Â

Â

FN: I said that as an observer I could tell if someone were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I had no way of knowing that what someone was doing was “adjustingâ€? the audiometer.

RM: But now you do, with PCT. They are acting to bring a perceptual variable – the controlled variable – to a reference state. Of course, to know precisely what variable is being controlled you would have to use the Test.Â

Â

FN: The importance of that distinction – then and now – is the distinction between actions and outcomes. An outcomee, such as an audiometer that is ready for use, ties to the value of some variable “out thereâ€? – in this case, the readiness off the audiometer for use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user to which it is to be put.

RM: Right, behavior involves taking actions (often also called “behaviors” themselves) to produce a per-selected outcome (the reference state of a controlled variable); in this case the controlled variable is the state of the audiometer – presumably the volume setting of the audiometer – and the reference state of that variable is zero db and you get it and keep it in that state by turning the volume knob appropriately (the action).

Â

FN: Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the person readying it can vary widely and wildly but the end state remains the same.

RM: Here you are using the word “behavior” to refer to the actions that get the controlled variable to the reference state. Those actions are, indeed, behaviors themselves but when we are talking about the controlling involved in the behavior that involves those actions – adjusting the audiometer in this case – it’s better to use the term “action” (or “means”) to describe them.Â

Â

FN: Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a carâ€? a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue no. At best, it’s one of those patterned behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedalâ€? a behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering wheelâ€? a behavior? Again, I think so. Is “acceleratingâ€? a behavior? I think not. That’s something the car not the driver is doing. Is “depressing the gas pedalâ€? a behavior? I think so. Is “changing lanesâ€? a behavior? I think not. Again, that’s something the car is doing.

RM: These are all behaviors as long as they are what a person does. I agree that “accelerating” and “changing lanes” might not be behaviors, but that would be true only if the car does them on its own. And cars do do these things on their own; a car with an incapacitated driver will change lanes on it’s own (to the considerable detriment of the driver)  and one with a poorly programmed cruise control system could accelerate on its own. But we are talking about a person driving a car so it is implied that the person is doing the lane changes and the acceleration/deceleration. So I would say that “accelerating” and "changing lanes" are both behaviors; things a person does. And, of course, all of the behaviors described above are examples of control – there is a CV, a reference state for that variable (the “outcome” produced), a means of producing that outcome in the face of disturbances that would otherwise prevent it and, of course, the disturbances themselves.Â

FN: P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to read it.

RM: Well, if nothing else it will make up for the one that Boris is not going to get;-) Sorry it cost you, Fred, but thanks for getting it anyway.

Best regards

Rick

Â

Subject: Re: Examples of everyday control (was Re: Somebody should take this on)

Â

Â

RM:Â The “Action” column is also identified as being the equivalent to the reference for the lower level perception (for example, to take a sip of tea you have to set a reference for perceiving the cup moved to your lips).

How about “Sub-goal” instead of “Action”, as a reference is a goal rather than an action? If we are talking about the reference at the next level down, this could enable us to think about the all the controlled variables going down the hierarchy.

Â

RM: Sure. I’ve added it and attached the slightly revised spreadsheet. But I’ve keep “Action” too because the references set by higher level systems for lower level systems are the actions taken by the former to achieve their perceptual goals. In PCT, “action” at all levels (except for the lowest – intensity – level) are specifications for input, not commands for output.

May I make a few other structural suggestions, before I start adding records? “Sub-goal” and “Action” seem different, so maybe both would be appropriate, in different columns. “Action” suggests something happening now, whereas a sub-goal may extend over a long period of time (days, months etc). Also “Action” suggests, err, action, in that something, in the world, is actually being moved or manipulated, and doesn’t really correspond to outputs setting sub-goals, where there might not actually be any action (action column might be blank).

With the “Behavior” column being at the beginning (left) it seems that behavior is given prominence whereas perhaps prominence should be given to the controlled variable. As it is the controlled variable which is part of the system and should be the focus of discussion and analysis, whereas behaviour is the observed side effect of perceptual control. In other words have the “behavior” (and action) column on the right hand side. Then the spreadsheet would be organised by a single controlled variable (column “Controlled Variable” rather than “Controlled Variable(s)”).

I can see that the spreadsheet could get quite unwieldy as it grows and see a use for a grouping column in addition to “Type” and “Behavior”, to help users find if their suggestion already exists and to see the different goals/behaviours involved in a higher goal. A particular behaviour is likely to involve controlled variables at a number of different levels and this would useful for grouping different entries together. E.g. driving involves Opening a car door, Fastening seat belt, Depressing clutch etc. So an additional column with an entry of “Driving” might be useful for this. It could be called something like “Group” or “Domain” or “Purpose”.

RM: So how about adding some more examples of behavior (or, if you must, behaviour) to the spreadsheet!

Have been compiling some which I was going to send with this, but they are taking some time so will send later when done.

Rupert

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com
Author of  Doing Research on Purpose
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.25.00.05]

FWIW, I agree with everything Rick says in this message.

Why do I perform the behaviour of writing to say that Rick’s message
did not disturb my controlled perception of what constitutes a
“behaviour”? An undisturbed perception should result in no
observable change in my behaviour, shouldn’t it? The reason is that
the fact Rick wrote it did disturb at least one of my controlled
perceptions – that it should be generally understood that
“behaviour” is the action that influences a controlled perception,
which is at this moment self-referential. That Fred did not
understand “behaviour” the same way was a disturbance. Rick and I
are collectively controlling (Kent McLelland’s term) for a
particular denotation (and connotation, I think) for the word when
used in a PCT discussion group.
In the “driving a car” example, “driving the car” may be a behaviour
that influences the driver’s perception of her location, for which
the reference might be “at the office”. Doing the work at the office
might be a behaviour that (ultimately) influences her controlled
perception of the amount of money she has available. And so forth.
The PCT mantra is “all behaviour is the control of perception” which
is essentially the title of B:CP, but it can be turned around to say
“to control a perception is to behave”, and that applies to all
perceptions (even if the behaviour is unobservably in the person’s
imagination).
Martin

···

Fred

Nickols (2015.10.22.1600)–

Â

FN:

I pointed out to him that there is no such
behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.â€?Â

RM: The term "behavior" is not a technical term. It

just refers to things we see people “doing”. I believe
most people would be comfortable calling “adjusting an
audiometer” something that people do: that it’s a
behavior.

FN:

I said “Grasp the volume knob� might be a
behavior.Â

RM: Yes, it is. Just as much as "adjusting the

audiometer" is a behavior; it is something people do. And
both of these behaviors can be see as examples of control:
there is a CV, reference state for the CV, a means of
bringing the CV to the reference while protecting it from
disturbance and disturbances that require that the means
be varied appropriately to bring the CV to and maintain it
in the reference state. How about  trying to put these two
behaviors into the Behavior as Control spreadsheet at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit#gid=0

Â

FN:

So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right
until the meter indicates zero decibels.â€?Â

RM: What you have done in this sentence is named the

means, cv and reference for the behavior we call “adjust
the audiometer”. All that’s missing is one (or more)
possible disturbances.Â

Â

FN:

I said that as an observer I could tell if someone
were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I
had no way of knowing that what someone was doing
was “adjusting� the audiometer.

RM: But now you do, with PCT. They are acting to bring

a perceptual variable – the controlled variable – to a
reference state. Of course, to know precisely what
variable is being controlled you would have to use the
Test.Â

Â

FN:

The importance of that distinction – then and nnow –
is the distinction between actions and outcomes. An
outcome, such as an audiometer that is ready for
use, ties to the value of some variable “out there�
– in this case, the readiness of the audiometerr for
use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it
ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user
to which it is to be put.

Â RM: Right, behavior involves taking actions (often

also called “behaviors” themselves) to produce a
per-selected outcome (the reference state of a controlled
variable); in this case the controlled variable is the
state of the audiometer – presumably the volume setting
of the audiometer – and the reference state of that
variable is zero db and you get it and keep it in that
state by turning the volume knob appropriately (the
action).

Â

FN:

Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought
is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the
person readying it can vary widely and wildly but
the end state remains the same.

Â RM: Here you are using the word "behavior" to refer to

the actions that get the controlled variable to the
reference state. Those actions are, indeed, behaviors
themselves but when we are talking about the controlling
involved in the behavior that involves those actions –
adjusting the audiometer in this case – it’s better to
use the term “action” (or “means”) to describe them.Â

Â

FN:

Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a car�
a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue
no. At best, it’s one of those patterned
behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedal� a
behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering
wheel� a behavior? Again, I think so. Is
“accelerating� a behavior? I think not. That’s
something the car not the driver is doing. Is
“depressing the gas pedalâ€? a behavior? I think so.Â
Is “changing lanesâ€? a behavior? I think not.Â
Again, that’s something the car is doing.

RM: These are all behaviors as long as they are what a

person does. I agree that “accelerating” and “changing
lanes” might not be behaviors, but that would be true only
if the car does them on its own. And cars do do these
things on their own; a car with an incapacitated driver
will change lanes on it’s own (to the considerable
detriment of the driver) Â and one with a poorly programmed
cruise control system could accelerate on its own. But we
are talking about a person driving a car so it is implied
that the person is doing the lane changes and the
acceleration/deceleration. So I would say
that “accelerating” and "changing lanes" are both
behaviors; things a person does. And, of course, all of
the behaviors described above are examples of control –
there is a CV, a reference state for that variable (the
“outcome” produced), a means of producing that outcome in
the face of disturbances that would otherwise prevent it
and, of course, the disturbances themselves.Â

FN:

P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of
Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement
I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to
read it.

RM: Well, if nothing else it will make up for the one

that Boris is not going to get;-) Sorry it cost you, Fred,
but thanks for getting it anyway.

Best regards

Rick

Â

Rupert Young [mailto:rupert@perceptualrobots.com ]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:44
PM
Subject: Re: Examples of everyday
control (was Re: Somebody should take this on)

Â

[From Rupert Young (2015.10.22

21.00)]

Â

Rupert Young

(2015.09.25 20.00)–

(Rick Marken

(2015.09.23.1215)]

RM:Â  The "Action" column is also identified

as being the equivalent to the reference for
the lower level perception (for example, to
take a sip of tea you have to set a
reference for perceiving the cup moved to
your lips).

How about "Sub-goal" instead of "Action", as

a reference is a goal rather than an action?
If we are talking about the reference at the
next level down, this could enable us to
think about the all the controlled variables
going down the hierarchy.

Â

RM: Sure. I've added it

and attached the slightly revised
spreadsheet. But I’ve keep “Action” too
because the references set by higher level
systems for lower level systems are the
actions taken by the former to achieve their
perceptual goals. In PCT, “action” at all
levels (except for the lowest – intensity
– level) are specifications for input, not
commands for output.

May I make a few other structural suggestions,

before I start adding records? “Sub-goal” and
“Action” seem different, so maybe both would be
appropriate, in different columns. “Action” suggests
something happening now, whereas a sub-goal may
extend over a long period of time (days, months
etc). Also “Action” suggests, err, action, in that
something, in the world, is actually being moved or
manipulated, and doesn’t really correspond to
outputs setting sub-goals, where there might not
actually be any action (action column might be
blank).

With the "Behavior" column being at the beginning

(left) it seems that behavior is given prominence
whereas perhaps prominence should be given to the
controlled variable. As it is the controlled
variable which is part of the system and should be
the focus of discussion and analysis, whereas
behaviour is the observed side effect of perceptual
control. In other words have the “behavior” (and
action) column on the right hand side. Then the
spreadsheet would be organised by a single
controlled variable (column “Controlled Variable”
rather than “Controlled Variable(s)”).

I can see that the spreadsheet could get quite

unwieldy as it grows and see a use for a grouping
column in addition to “Type” and “Behavior”, to help
users find if their suggestion already exists and to
see the different goals/behaviours involved in a
higher goal. A particular behaviour is likely to
involve controlled variables at a number of
different levels and this would useful for grouping
different entries together. E.g. driving involves
Opening a car door, Fastening seat belt, Depressing
clutch etc. So an additional column with an entry of
“Driving” might be useful for this. It could be
called something like “Group” or “Domain” or
“Purpose”.

RM: So how about adding

some more examples of behavior (or, if you
must, behaviour) to the spreadsheet!

Have been compiling some which I was going to send

with this, but they are taking some time so will
send later when done.

Rupert

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com

Author of  [Doing Research on Purpose](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.amazon.com_Doing-2DResearch-2DPurpose-2DExperimental-2DPsychology_dp_0944337554_ref-3Dsr-5F1-5F1-3Fie-3DUTF8-26qid-3D1407342866-26sr-3D8-2D1-26keywords-3Ddoing-2Bresearch-2Bon-2Bpurpose&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=-dJBNItYEMOLt6aj_KjGi2LMO_Q8QB-ZzxIZIF8DGyQ&m=mUAKhMPx0AvADdWrEgn9if93VwTZBefVsjjeB4WnnPY&s=LJiMZJRE4gLed61n7hsAyTO6l0-hUICr06SbPKrpg4Q&e=). 
                      Now available from Amazon or Barnes &

Noble

Down…

···

Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: Behavior or Maybe Not (was RE: Examples of everyday control (was Re: Somebody should take this on))

FN: I pointed out to him that there is no such behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.�

RM: The term “behavior” is not a technical term. It just refers to things we see people “doing”. I believe most people would be comfortable calling “adjusting an audiometer” something that people do: that it’s a behavior.

FN: I said “Grasp the volume knob� might be a behavior.

RM: Yes, it is. Just as much as “adjusting the audiometer” is a behavior; it is something people do. And both of these behaviors can be see as examples of control: there is a CV, reference state for the CV, a means of bringing the CV to the reference while protecting it from disturbance and disturbances that require that the means be varied appropriately to bring the CV to and maintain it in the reference state.

HB :

Now I understand that you don’t understand, and in this way you never will understand what is »Control of Perception«. Perception is something continuously varying. And there is no CV in Bill’s Diagram…

Forget about collecting behaviors. It doesn’t help. You are wasting your and our time…

Best,

Boris

P.S.

RM: Well, if nothing else it will make up for the one that Boris is not going to get;-) Sorry it cost you, Fred, but thanks for getting it anyway.

HB : Write a book about Perception and »Control of Perception« and I’ll buy it J….

How about trying to put these two behaviors into the Behavior as Control spreadsheet at

I’ve already entered the behavior names for you.

FN: So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right until the meter indicates zero decibels.�

RM: What you have done in this sentence is named the means, cv and reference for the behavior we call “adjust the audiometer”. All that’s missing is one (or more) possible disturbances.

FN: I said that as an observer I could tell if someone were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I had no way of knowing that what someone was doing was “adjusting� the audiometer.

RM: But now you do, with PCT. They are acting to bring a perceptual variable – the controlled variable – to a reference state. Of course, to know precisely what variable is being controlled you would have to use the Test.

FN: The importance of that distinction – then and now – is the distinction between actions and outcomes.&nbssp; An outcome, such as an audiometer that is ready for use, ties to the value of some variable “out thereâ€? – in this case, thee readiness of the audiometer for use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user to which it is to be put.

RM: Right, behavior involves taking actions (often also called “behaviors” themselves) to produce a per-selected outcome (the reference state of a controlled variable); in this case the controlled variable is the state of the audiometer – presumably the volume setting of the audiometer – and the reference state of that variable is zero db and you get it and keep it in that state by turning the volume knob appropriately (the action).

FN: Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the person readying it can vary widely and wildly but the end state remains the same.

RM: Here you are using the word “behavior” to refer to the actions that get the controlled variable to the reference state. Those actions are, indeed, behaviors themselves but when we are talking about the controlling involved in the behavior that involves those actions – adjusting the audiometer in this case – it’s better to use the term “action” (or “means”) to describe them.

FN: Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a car� a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue no. At best, it’s one of those patterned behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering wheel� a behavior? Again, I think so. Is “accelerating� a behavior? I think not. That’s something the car not the driver is doing. Is “depressing the gas pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “changing lanes� a behavior? I think not. Again, that’s something the car is doing.

RM: These are all behaviors as long as they are what a person does. I agree that “accelerating” and “changing lanes” might not be behaviors, but that would be true only if the car does them on its own. And cars do do these things on their own; a car with an incapacitated driver will change lanes on it’s own (to the considerable detriment of the driver) and one with a poorly programmed cruise control system could accelerate on its own. But we are talking about a person driving a car so it is implied that the person is doing the lane changes and the acceleration/deceleration. So I would say that “accelerating” and “changing lanes” are both behaviors; things a person does. And, of course, all of the behaviors described above are examples of control – there is a CV, a reference state for that variable (the “outcome” produced), a means of producing that outcome in the face of disturbances that would otherwise prevent it and, of course, the disturbances themselves.

FN: P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to read it.

Best regards

Rick

RM: The “Action” column is also identified as being the equivalent to the reference for the lower level perception (for example, to take a sip of tea you have to set a reference for perceiving the cup moved to your lips).

Rupert

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.26.0840)]

···

Martin Taylor (2015.10.25.00.05)–

MT: FWIW, I agree with everything Rick says in this message.

RM: I love to have you agreeing with me but I’m afraid that in this case you are doing it for the wrong reason. You seem to think that what I was saying is that “… “behaviour” is the action that influences a controlled perception”. But that’s not what I am saying at all. What I’m saying is that words, like “adjusting an audiometer”, that point to something we can see a person doing, are pointing to a control phenomenon, which involves a controlled variable, a reference state for that variable, the actions (means) used to bring the controlled variable to the reference state and disturbances that make certain means necessary. I think this is all communicated best by Table 1, p. 172 pf LCS I and by the extended version of that table in the form of my “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet:

RM: The column labeled “behavior” is just the word or words we use to describe something we can see a person doing. The remaining columns – labeled Controlled Variables, Reference States, Means and Disturbances – describe this behavior in terms of the observable components of the phenomenon of control. The goal of the spreadsheet (and Table 1) is to teach us to see the events we refer to as behaviors are control phenomena, in fact, not in theory.Â

RM: Again, I highly recommend that people read pp. 171-176 in LCS I to get an idea of what I am trying to do with the spreadsheet. What Powers is doing in that section of LCS I is giving a non-theoretical description of behavior as a control phenomenon. There is no theory in that section. All the aspects of behavior that he discusses in that section – the ones listed in the columns of Table 1 and in the Behavior as Control spreadsheet – are empirically observable variables and their relationships. Even the reference state of a controlled variable is observable. As Bill says on p. 175 “The existence of these reference states is not conjectural; once a behavior has been defined in terms of an appropriate variable [controlled variable – RM], such reference states always exist. They can be discovered experimentally and defined in terms of observable relationships”.[emphasis mine – RM]

RM: The point of this Behavior as Control spreadsheet exercise is to show that what we refer to as the behavior of living organisms is control (it involves acting to control variables, maintaining them in reference states), in fact, not just in theory. As Bill goes on to explain (in the second paragraph on p. 176) control theory provides the explanation for the existence of reference states of controlled variables. So I think it’s really necessary to understand the phenomenon that PCT explains – behavior as control – before on can understand the PCT explanation of that phenomenon. So my “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet is an attempt to start a non-theoretical discussion of the nature of behavior as control.Â

RM: I really think understanding behavior as control is fundamentally important to understanding PCT because I have seen that it is possible to have an excellent, technical understanding of control theory with no understanding of how to correctly apply it to understanding the behavior of living systems. This is what has happened in the field of “manual control” or “engineering psychology” where we have people with an excellent understanding control theory who are applying that theory, incorrectly, by using it to explain behavior as an input-output phenomenon. Powers major epiphany was the realization that behavior IS control. This allowed him to apply control theory (which had already been around for quite some time; Powers did not invent control theory) correctly to understanding the behavior (controlling) of living organisms.

RM: I think a good way to get a feel for behavior as a control phenomenon is to add a few behaviors to the “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet and try to analyze those behaviors in terms of the variables involved in control – Controlled Variables, Reference States, Means and Disturbances.

BestÂ

Rick

In the "driving a car" example, "driving the car" may be a behaviour

that influences the driver’s perception of her location, for which
the reference might be “at the office”. Doing the work at the office
might be a behaviour that (ultimately) influences her controlled
perception of the amount of money she has available. And so forth.
The PCT mantra is “all behaviour is the control of perception” which
is essentially the title of B:CP, but it can be turned around to say
“to control a perception is to behave”, and that applies to all
perceptions (even if the behaviour is unobservably in the person’s
imagination).

Martin

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com
Author of  Doing Research on Purpose

FN:
 I pointed out to him that there is no such
behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.â€?Â

RM: The term "behavior" is not a technical term. It

just refers to things we see people “doing”. I believe
most people would be comfortable calling “adjusting an
audiometer” something that people do: that it’s a
behavior.Â

FN:

I said “Grasp the volume knobâ€? might be a
behavior.Â

RM: Yes, it is. Just as much as "adjusting the

audiometer" is a behavior; it is something people do. And
both of these behaviors can be see as examples of control:
there is a CV, reference state for the CV, a means of
bringing the CV to the reference while protecting it from
disturbance and disturbances that require that the means
be varied appropriately to bring the CV to and maintain it
in the reference state. How about  trying to put these two
behaviors into the Behavior as Control spreadsheet at

Â

FN:

So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right
until the meter indicates zero decibels.â€?Â

RM: What you have done in this sentence is named the

means, cv and reference for the behavior we call “adjust
the audiometer”. All that’s missing is one (or more)
possible disturbances.Â

Â

FN:

I said that as an observer I could tell if someone
were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I
had no way of knowing that what someone was doing
was “adjustingâ€? the audiometer.

RM: But now you do, with PCT. They are acting to bring

a perceptual variable – the controlled variable – to a
reference state. Of course, to know precisely what
variable is being controlled you would have to use the
Test.Â

Â

FN:

The importance of that distinction – then and nnow –
is the distinction between actions and outcomes. An
outcome, such as an audiometer that is ready for
use, ties to the value of some variable “out thereâ€?
– in this case, the readiness of the audiometerr for
use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it
ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user
to which it is to be put.

Â RM: Right, behavior involves taking actions (often

also called “behaviors” themselves) to produce a
per-selected outcome (the reference state of a controlled
variable); in this case the controlled variable is the
state of the audiometer – presumably the volume setting
of the audiometer – and the reference state of that
variable is zero db and you get it and keep it in that
state by turning the volume knob appropriately (the
action).

Â

FN:

Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought
is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the
person readying it can vary widely and wildly but
the end state remains the same.

Â RM: Here you are using the word "behavior" to refer to

the actions that get the controlled variable to the
reference state. Those actions are, indeed, behaviors
themselves but when we are talking about the controlling
involved in the behavior that involves those actions –
adjusting the audiometer in this case – it’s better to
use the term “action” (or “means”) to describe them.Â

Â

FN:

Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a carâ€?
a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue
no. At best, it’s one of those patterned
behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedalâ€? a
behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering
wheelâ€? a behavior? Again, I think so. Is
“acceleratingâ€? a behavior? I think not. That’s
something the car not the driver is doing. Is
“depressing the gas pedalâ€? a behavior? I think so.Â
Is “changing lanesâ€? a behavior? I think not.Â
Again, that’s something the car is doing.

RM: These are all behaviors as long as they are what a

person does. I agree that “accelerating” and “changing
lanes” might not be behaviors, but that would be true only
if the car does them on its own. And cars do do these
things on their own; a car with an incapacitated driver
will change lanes on it’s own (to the considerable
detriment of the driver) Â and one with a poorly programmed
cruise control system could accelerate on its own. But we
are talking about a person driving a car so it is implied
that the person is doing the lane changes and the
acceleration/deceleration. So I would say
that “accelerating” and "changing lanes" are both
behaviors; things a person does. And, of course, all of
the behaviors described above are examples of control –
there is a CV, a reference state for that variable (the
“outcome” produced), a means of producing that outcome in
the face of disturbances that would otherwise prevent it
and, of course, the disturbances themselves.Â

FN:

P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of
Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement
I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to
read it.

RM: Well, if nothing else it will make up for the one

that Boris is not going to get;-) Sorry it cost you, Fred,
but thanks for getting it anyway.

Best regards

Rick

Â

Rupert Young [mailto:rupert@perceptualrobots.com ]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:44
PM
Subject: Re: Examples of everyday
control (was Re: Somebody should take this on)

Â

[From Rupert Young (2015.10.22

21.00)]

Â

Rupert Young

(2015.09.25 20.00)–

(Rick Marken

(2015.09.23.1215)]

RM:Â  The "Action" column is also identified

as being the equivalent to the reference for
the lower level perception (for example, to
take a sip of tea you have to set a
reference for perceiving the cup moved to
your lips).

How about "Sub-goal" instead of "Action", as

a reference is a goal rather than an action?
If we are talking about the reference at the
next level down, this could enable us to
think about the all the controlled variables
going down the hierarchy.

Â

RM: Sure. I've added it

and attached the slightly revised
spreadsheet. But I’ve keep “Action” too
because the references set by higher level
systems for lower level systems are the
actions taken by the former to achieve their
perceptual goals. In PCT, “action” at all
levels (except for the lowest – intensity
– level) are specifications for input, not
commands for output.

May I make a few other structural suggestions,

before I start adding records? “Sub-goal” and
“Action” seem different, so maybe both would be
appropriate, in different columns. “Action” suggests
something happening now, whereas a sub-goal may
extend over a long period of time (days, months
etc). Also “Action” suggests, err, action, in that
something, in the world, is actually being moved or
manipulated, and doesn’t really correspond to
outputs setting sub-goals, where there might not
actually be any action (action column might be
blank).

With the "Behavior" column being at the beginning

(left) it seems that behavior is given prominence
whereas perhaps prominence should be given to the
controlled variable. As it is the controlled
variable which is part of the system and should be
the focus of discussion and analysis, whereas
behaviour is the observed side effect of perceptual
control. In other words have the “behavior” (and
action) column on the right hand side. Then the
spreadsheet would be organised by a single
controlled variable (column “Controlled Variable”
rather than “Controlled Variable(s)”).

I can see that the spreadsheet could get quite

unwieldy as it grows and see a use for a grouping
column in addition to “Type” and “Behavior”, to help
users find if their suggestion already exists and to
see the different goals/behaviours involved in a
higher goal. A particular behaviour is likely to
involve controlled variables at a number of
different levels and this would useful for grouping
different entries together. E.g. driving involves
Opening a car door, Fastening seat belt, Depressing
clutch etc. So an additional column with an entry of
“Driving” might be useful for this. It could be
called something like “Group” or “Domain” or
“Purpose”.

RM: So how about adding

some more examples of behavior (or, if you
must, behaviour) to the spreadsheet!

Have been compiling some which I was going to send

with this, but they are taking some time so will
send later when done.

Rupert

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com

Author of  [Doing Research on Purpose](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.amazon.com_Doing-2DResearch-2DPurpose-2DExperimental-2DPsychology_dp_0944337554_ref-3Dsr-5F1-5F1-3Fie-3DUTF8-26qid-3D1407342866-26sr-3D8-2D1-26keywords-3Ddoing-2Bresearch-2Bon-2Bpurpose&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=-dJBNItYEMOLt6aj_KjGi2LMO_Q8QB-ZzxIZIF8DGyQ&m=mUAKhMPx0AvADdWrEgn9if93VwTZBefVsjjeB4WnnPY&s=LJiMZJRE4gLed61n7hsAyTO6l0-hUICr06SbPKrpg4Q&e=). 
                      Now available from Amazon or Barnes &

Noble

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.26.11.53]

Yes, I agree, did agree, an probably (I predict) will continue to

agree, even if you don’t like the wording. Actually, I don’t see why
you say “for the wrong reason”. Isn’t everything you say implied by
all that I wrote, given the CSGnet context and what everyone on this
list is assumed to understand?
Martin

···

On 2015/10/26 11:41 AM, Richard Marken
wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.26.0840)]

Martin Taylor

(2015.10.25.00.05)–

Â
FN:
 I pointed out to him that there is
no such behavior as “adjusting an
audiometer.â€?Â

RM: The term "behavior" is not a

technical term. It just refers to things we
see people “doing”. I believe most people
would be comfortable calling “adjusting an
audiometer” something that people do: that
it’s a behavior.Â

MT: FWIW, I agree with everything Rick says in

this message.

RM: I love to have you agreeing with me but I'm afraid

that in this case you are doing it for the wrong reason.
You seem to think that what I was saying is that “…
“behaviour” is the action that influences a controlled
perception”. But that’s not what I am saying at all. What
I’m saying is that words, like “adjusting an audiometer”,
that point to something we can see a person doing, are
pointing to a control phenomenon, which involves a
controlled variable, a reference state for that variable,
the actions (means) used to bring the controlled variable
to the reference state and disturbances that make certain
means necessary.

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.26.1230)]

···

Martin Taylor (2015.10.26.11.53)–

MT: Yes, I agree, did agree, an probably (I predict) will continue to

agree, even if you don’t like the wording. Actually, I don’t see why
you say “for the wrong reason”. Isn’t everything you say implied by
all that I wrote, given the CSGnet context and what everyone on this
list is assumed to understand?

RM: Maybe. It sure sounds like you were saying that the term “behavior” (or “behaviour” if you prefer) refers to the action that influences a controlled perception when what I am saying is that “behavior” refers to the observed “controlling” done by organisms. So the word behavior refers to an observable process that involves actions, a controlled variable (controlled perception is not something we observe; it is a theory of why we see variables being controlled by organisms), reference states of controlled variables and disturbances to controlled variable. When we talk about behavior in PCT we are talking about an observable phenomenon: control. PCT is the explanation of that phenomenon: as control of perception.

RM: I think we can be sure we are talking about the same thing when we talk about behavior (or “behaviour”:wink: if you would just add a few rows (behaviors) to the "Behavior as Control spreadsheet:

RM: Or just finish up the last two behaviors that I added to the end of the spreadsheet. Then we can be sure that we are talking about the same thing.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

MT: FWIW, I agree with everything Rick says in

this message.

RM: I love to have you agreeing with me but I'm afraid

that in this case you are doing it for the wrong reason.
You seem to think that what I was saying is that “…
“behaviour” is the action that influences a controlled
perception”. But that’s not what I am saying at all. What
I’m saying is that words, like “adjusting an audiometer”,
that point to something we can see a person doing, are
pointing to a control phenomenon, which involves a
controlled variable, a reference state for that variable,
the actions (means) used to bring the controlled variable
to the reference state and disturbances that make certain
means necessary.

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.26.16.23]

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.26.1230)]

I guess I shouldn't have deleted a couple of sentences that I did

delete from my response.

The gist of what I deleted is that one sees what one sees because of

the way one’s perceptual systems have reorganized. You and I, and
most of the participants in CSGnet see control when observing the
overt output of living control systems, whether they be trees, dogs,
or people. Most of the world couldn’t see control any more than a
colour-blind person can tell green from red. What we all see is what
we all call the “behaviour” of the organism.

But possibly there may be a subtle difference in the way you and I

use the word. Because you continue to demur, I have to assume that
you don’t go along with “Behaviour: the Control of Perception”, but
instead are substituting something like “Observable Action, the
Behaviour that is Control”. Am I right? Or is “Action” also a wrong
word?

What I'm saying is that in my usage, every controlled perception is

controlled by means of the influence the behaviour has on the
perception. We in Canada just had a Federal Election. My “behaviour”
in that context was to go and vote, to influence my perception of
who is the governing party. My behaviour in respect of controlling
my perception of the governing party was not walking to the polling
station, or manipulating a pencil. It was voting. I type a letter in
this message, and my behaviour is to move a finger so that it
strikes the key that brings to the screen the letter that was my
reference for it (with luck). My behaviour was to influence my
perception of the letter on the screen. I understand you to be
saying that the word behaviour refers directly to the influence. I
find that problematic, because one cannot observe an influence, so I
suppose, since you say one can observe behaviour, that you mean
something different yet again.

I really do think we are talking about the same thing, and shouldn't

be participating in an artificial disagreement.

Martin
···
            Martin Taylor

(2015.10.26.11.53)–

MT: Yes, I agree, did agree, an probably (I

predict) will continue to agree, even if you don’t like
the wording. Actually, I don’t see why you say “for the
wrong reason”. Isn’t everything you say implied by all
that I wrote, given the CSGnet context and what everyone
on this list is assumed to understand?

RM: Maybe. It sure sounds like you were saying that the

term “behavior” (or “behaviour” if you prefer) refers to
the action that influences a controlled perception when
what I am saying is that “behavior” refers to the observed
“controlling” done by organisms.

MT: FWIW, I agree with everything

Rick says in this message.

RM: I love to have you agreeing with me

but I’m afraid that in this case you are
doing it for the wrong reason. You seem to
think that what I was saying is that “…
“behaviour” is the action that influences a
controlled perception”. But that’s not what
I am saying at all. What I’m saying is that
words, like “adjusting an audiometer”, that
point to something we can see a person
doing, are pointing to a control phenomenon,
which involves a controlled variable, a
reference state for that variable, the
actions (means) used to bring the controlled
variable to the reference state and
disturbances that make certain means
necessary.

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.25.00.05]

FN: I pointed out to him that there is no such behavior as “adjusting an audiometer.�

RM: The term “behavior” is not a technical term. It just refers to things we see people “doing”. I believe most people would be comfortable calling “adjusting an audiometer” something that people do: that it’s a behavior.

FWIW, I agree with everything Rick says in this message.

Why do I perform the behaviour of writing to say that Rick’s message did not disturb my controlled perception of what constitutes a “behaviour”? An undisturbed perception should result in no observable change in my behaviour, shouldn’t it? The reason is that the fact Rick wrote it did disturb at least one of my controlled perceptions – that it should be generally understood that “behaviour” is the action that influences a controlled perception, which is at this moment self-referential. That Fred did not understand “behaviour” the same way was a disturbance. Rick and I are collectively controlling (Kent McLelland’s term) for a particular denotation (and connotation, I think) for the word when used in a PCT discussion group.

In the “driving a car” example, “driving the car” may be a behaviour that influences the driver’s perception of her location, for which the reference might be “at the office”. Doing the work at the office might be a behaviour that (ultimately) influences her controlled perception of the amount of money she has available. And so forth. The PCT mantra is “all behaviour is the control of perception” which is essentially the title of B:CP, but it can be turned around to say “to control a perception is to behave”, and that applies to all perceptions (even if the behaviour is unobservably in the person’s imagination).

HB : I heard this once before, but I don’t agree.

PCT mantra is »Behavior : The control of perception«, what does by my oppinon not mean »behavior is control of perception«. At least I never saw Bill confirming this. But that behavior is consequence of »control of perception« can be clearly seen from PCT diagram. Behavior »runs« on error signal, and that is consequence of »control of perception« in comparator.Â

Behavior controls nothing, even not perception. Behavior is not »control« as you emphasized before. Behavior is means of control and this is a great difference.

MT : Most psychologists observe what happens in the environment of the organism and infer that the behaviour they see allows inferences about what happens inside the organism. PCT psychologists do, too, but PCT psychologists use a different technique for inference because they observe in the environment the consequences of control by processes in the organism.

Boris

Martin

FN: I said “Grasp the volume knob� might be a behavior.

RM: Yes, it is. Just as much as “adjusting the audiometer” is a behavior; it is something people do. And both of these behaviors can be see as examples of control: there is a CV, reference state for the CV, a means of bringing the CV to the reference while protecting it from disturbance and disturbances that require that the means be varied appropriately to bring the CV to and maintain it in the reference state. How about trying to put these two behaviors into the Behavior as Control spreadsheet at

I’ve already entered the behavior names for you.

FN: So might be “Turn the volume knob to the right until the meter indicates zero decibels.�

RM: What you have done in this sentence is named the means, cv and reference for the behavior we call “adjust the audiometer”. All that’s missing is one (or more) possible disturbances.

FN: I said that as an observer I could tell if someone were grasping the volume knob or turning it but I had no way of knowing that what someone was doing was “adjusting� the audiometer.

RM: But now you do, with PCT. They are acting to bring a perceptual variable – the controlled variable – to a reference state. Of course, to know precisely what variable is being controlled you would have to use the Test.

FN: The importance of that distinction – then and now – is the distinction between actions an and outcomes. An outcome, such as an audiometer that is ready for use, ties to the value of some variable “out thereâ€? – inn this case, the readiness of the audiometer for use. The specific behaviors involved in getting it ready can and do vary, depending in part on the user to which it is to be put.

FN: Enter now PCT. The reference condition being sought is an audiometer ready for use. The behavior of the person readying it can vary widely and wildly but the end state remains the same.

RM: Here you are using the word “behavior” to refer to the actions that get the controlled variable to the reference state. Those actions are, indeed, behaviors themselves but when we are talking about the controlling involved in the behavior that involves those actions – adjusting the audiometer in this case – it’s better to use the term “action” (or “means”) to describe them.

FN: Now back to the original thread. Is “driving a car� a behavior? I could argue yes and I could argue no. At best, it’s one of those patterned behaviors. Is “depressing the brake pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “grasp the steering wheel� a behavior? Again, I think so. Is “accelerating� a behavior? I think not. That’s something the car not the driver is doing. Is “depressing the gas pedal� a behavior? I think so. Is “changing lanes� a behavior? I think not. Again, that’s something the car is doing.

RM: These are all behaviors as long as they are what a person does. I agree that “accelerating” and “changing lanes” might not be behaviors, but that would be true only if the car does them on its own. And cars do do these things on their own; a car with an incapacitated driver will change lanes on it’s own (to the considerable detriment of the driver) and one with a poorly programmed cruise control system could accelerate on its own. But we are talking about a person driving a car so it is implied that the person is doing the lane changes and the acceleration/deceleration. So I would say that “accelerating” and “changing lanes” are both behaviors; things a person does. And, of course, all of the behaviors described above are examples of control – there is a CV, a reference state for that variable (the “outcome” produced), a means of producing that outcome in the face of disturbances that would otherwise prevent it and, of course, the disturbances themselves.

FN: P.S. I got so excited by Bruce Nevin’s review of Rick’s book that I ordered a copy. In my excitement I forgot I already had it. Now I guess I’ll have to read it.

Best regards

Rick

···

Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2015 5:19 AM
Subject: Re: Behavior or Maybe Not (was RE: Examples of everyday control (was Re: Somebody should take this on))

Rupert

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.27.1000)]

···

Martin Taylor (2015.10.26.16.23)–

MT: The gist of what I deleted is that one sees what one sees because of

the way one’s perceptual systems have reorganized. You and I, and
most of the participants in CSGnet see control when observing the
overt output of living control systems, whether they be trees, dogs,
or people. Most of the world couldn’t see control any more than a
colour-blind person can tell green from red. What we all see is what
we all call the “behaviour” of the organism.

RM: What I am trying to do is get people to think about is what behavior IS. What are we talking about when we talk about “behavior”. This is important to understand because “behavior” is the phenomenon that PCT was developed to explain. And this is what the discussion on pp. 171-176 in LCS I is about. In this section Bill is describing the phenomenon – “behavior” – that the theory – PCT – explains. There is no theory at all in this section; the word “perception” is never used. What Bill does in that section is give a “physicist’s eye view” of the phenomenon we call “behavior”.

RM: What Bill shows is that the events that we call behavior, such as “opening a door”, involve changing the value of environmental variables (such as the angle of the door) by adding the effects on those variables produced by the organism (such as muscle forces pulling on the door) to independent environmental effects on the same variables (such as wind forces on the door) resulting in the variable ending up in a reference state (such as an angle of 80 degrees relative to the side of the car). So behavior involves bringing a variable (the controlled variable) to a reference state using the appropriate means (effects on the controlled variable which, when combined with independent environmental effects-- disturbances – result in the controlled variable in the reference state).

RM: So “behavior” is variables, the reference states of those variables and the means used to get those variables to their reference states. “Behavior” is all three of these things at the same time. That’s why the different behaviors in Table 1, p 172 of LCS I are described in terms of the headings of the three columns to the right of “Behavior”: Means, Variable and Reference state. “Opening a door”, for example, involves bringing the angle of the door (a Variable) to a Reference state (80 degrees) using the appropriate Means (grasping, pulling).

RM: Behavior – any behavior – is not just the visible Means we see a person using to get a Variable to the Reference state; “Opening the door” is not just the grasping/pulling forces exerted on the door. Nor is behavior just the varying state of the controlled Variable; “Opening the door” is not just the changing angle of the door as it is opened. Nor is behavior just the Reference state of the controlled variable; “Opening the door” is not just the angle of the door when it has been open. “Behavior” is all three variables brought to reference states by appropriate means – which turn out to be the the three observable components of control. That’s why I say that “behavior is control”.

RM: What is most remarkable about behavior, when correctly analyzed in this way, is the fact that it involves a variable (the controlled variable) being consistently brought to and maintained in a reference state despite changing environmental circumstances (disturbances). And as Bill says on p. 175: "In these reference states we have the heart of the problem to which control theory is addressed.[Emphasis mine] What kind of system can behave in such a way that a variable will, under a variety of unpredictable conditions, always approach the same state? What determines that state? Where is that state determined - that is, by what? " In other words, how do we explain the fact that behavior is control; that it involves bringing variables to and maintaining them in reference states? In the next section of the paper, starting on p. 176, Bill shows how control theory can explain the existence of reference states for variables - such as the reference state for the angle of the car door

RM: Again, there is nothing theoretical in the discussion on pp. 171-176 of LCS I. Reference states, the central feature of control, are not theoretical. They exist in fact, not theory. As Bill says (again on p. 175): “The existence of these reference states is not conjectural; once behavior has been defined in terms of the appropriate variable, such reference states always exist. They can be discovered experimentally, and defined in terms of observable relationships”[Emphasis mine]. Of course, what Bill is talking about in the emphasized sentence is the Test for the Controlled Variable.

MT: But possibly there may be a subtle difference in the way you and I

use the word. Because you continue to demur, I have to assume that
you don’t go along with “Behaviour: the Control of Perception”, but
instead are substituting something like “Observable Action, the
Behaviour that is Control”. Am I right? Or is “Action” also a wrong
word?

RM: I certainly go along with the idea that behavior is the control of perception. But that’s a theoretical statement; it says we can explain behavior as the control of perception when behavior is understood to be a process of control. If you read pp. 171-176 of LCS I, you will see that the reason PCT has had such a tough time being noticed (or correctly used) in the sciences aimed at understanding the behavior of living systems is because those sciences don’t understand that behavior IS control. Instead, the life sciences see behavior as caused output. So the life sciences have been trying to explain a phenomenon that is not only different than the one PCT explains but also one that doesn’t even exist.

RM: So that’s why I am doing this exercise with the “Behavior as Control” spreadsheet:

RM: I think it’s important for people to understand the nature of the phenomenon that PCT explains; the phenomenon of control. I think the exercise of filling out this spreadsheet for various behaviors is a way to help us see behavior through “control theory glasses”; that is, to see that behavior IS control, in fact, not just in theory.

Best

Rick

What I'm saying is that in my usage, every controlled perception is

controlled by means of the influence the behaviour has on the
perception. We in Canada just had a Federal Election. My “behaviour”
in that context was to go and vote, to influence my perception of
who is the governing party. My behaviour in respect of controlling
my perception of the governing party was not walking to the polling
station, or manipulating a pencil. It was voting. I type a letter in
this message, and my behaviour is to move a finger so that it
strikes the key that brings to the screen the letter that was my
reference for it (with luck). My behaviour was to influence my
perception of the letter on the screen. I understand you to be
saying that the word behaviour refers directly to the influence. I
find that problematic, because one cannot observe an influence, so I
suppose, since you say one can observe behaviour, that you mean
something different yet again.

I really do think we are talking about the same thing, and shouldn't

be participating in an artificial disagreement.

Martin

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com