Behavior: the control of perception (2005 edition)

[Eva de Hullu 2019-03-11_12:28:52 UTC]

Dear all,

After studying PCT for a while, I wanted to read the seminal work of Powers: Behavior: the Control of Perception.

First I borrowed the 2005 edition from a friend, and found out it was actually a misprint with pages 18-50 missing. Fortunately, at that time I could read the missing pages by switching to the 1973 edition on an archive site (https://archive.org/details/BehaviorTheControlOfPerception), but the quality of the scan isn’t that good (the text disregards spaces between words).

Then I purchased a secondhand copy of Bill Powers’ 1973 book Behavior: the Control of Perception for a reasonable price on Amazon in the US, after looking all around the web for a good price and shipping options. This could be worse, I now have a copy of my own.

But the 2005 book is quite impossible to acquire. The publisher of the 2005 book, Benchmark Publications Inc, which has the URL benchpress.com listed, is nowhere to be found and the domain is for sale. Amazon offers the secondhand paperback for around $900…

So, for people new to PCT, getting to know Powers’ B:CP is a difficult job. It would be great if an ebook version of the 2005 edition was available for sale, somewhere on the planet.

Does anyone know more about this?

Best,
Eva

Fred Nickols (2019.03.11.0855 EDT)

I looked on Abebooks and the cheapest copy of the 2nd edition was $200 and the most expensive was about $2000. How come?

···

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Chief Toolmaker & Lead Solution Engineer

Distance Consulting LLC

“Assistance at A Distance”

In 1991 while I was working for BBN I went down and borrowed the copy that’s in the MIT library, made a photocopy at work, and bound it together with rubber cement and tape, an old student trick. That’s what I used for 10-15 years 'til I could afford a regular copy. I could send that copy to anyone who’s stuck without one.

Benchmark is a family business that is currently in disarray. I don’t know the current status. There was some talk of a major publisher taking over all of Bill’s publications. Again, I don’t know the current status, but I believe it is a result to be hoped for. Given the character of academic publishing, these books would not be inexpensive under a new imprint, but a major house would maintain their availability and would give them higher visibility.

The price on the used market is supposedly a function of the ‘law’ of supply and demand. That’s sometimes cited as though it were a law of nature, when all it is is an opportunity to take advantage of need.

That said, apparently things have changed since you looked three hours ago, Fred. I now see a number of copies in the $20-30 range on the American Bookseller’s Exchange (ABE). To go to the advanced search page with that item up, click that link or https://tinyurl.com/y3vj2m4x.

···

/Bruce

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:56 AM Fred Nickols csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

I looked on Abebooks and the cheapest copy of the 2nd edition was $200 and the most expensive was about $2000. How come?

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:32 AM Eva de Hullu csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Dear all,

After studying PCT for a while, I wanted to read the seminal work of Powers: Behavior: the Control of Perception.

First I borrowed the 2005 edition from a friend, and found out it was actually a misprint with pages 18-50 missing. Fortunately, at that time I could read the missing pages by switching to the 1973 edition on an archive site (https://archive.org/details/BehaviorTheControlOfPerception), but the quality of the scan isn’t that good (the text disregards spaces between words).

Then I purchased a secondhand copy of Bill Powers’ 1973 book Behavior: the Control of Perception for a reasonable price on Amazon in the US, after looking all around the web for a good price and shipping options. This could be worse, I now have a copy of my own.

But the 2005 book is quite impossible to acquire. The publisher of the 2005 book, Benchmark Publications Inc, which has the URL benchpress.com listed, is nowhere to be found and the domain is for sale. Amazon offers the secondhand paperback for around $900…

So, for people new to PCT, getting to know Powers’ B:CP is a difficult job. It would be great if an ebook version of the 2005 edition was available for sale, somewhere on the planet.

Best,
Eva

Hi all - I’m not sure I’d say Benchmark was so much in “disarray,” but changes are being made. I contacted Allie as soon as I saw the first request in this thread. We have already been having conversations about how to start printing some of these books again. Please stand by!

Thank you for your patience,

*barb

Barb Powers

···

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:04 AM Bruce Nevin csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

In 1991 while I was working for BBN I went down and borrowed the copy that’s in the MIT library, made a photocopy at work, and bound it together with rubber cement and tape, an old student trick. That’s what I used for 10-15 years 'til I could afford a regular copy. I could send that copy to anyone who’s stuck without one.

Benchmark is a family business that is currently in disarray. I don’t know the current status. There was some talk of a major publisher taking over all of Bill’s publications. Again, I don’t know the current status, but I believe it is a result to be hoped for. Given the character of academic publishing, these books would not be inexpensive under a new imprint, but a major house would maintain their availability and would give them higher visibility.

The price on the used market is supposedly a function of the ‘law’ of supply and demand. That’s sometimes cited as though it were a law of nature, when all it is is an opportunity to take advantage of need.

That said, apparently things have changed since you looked three hours ago, Fred. I now see a number of copies in the $20-30 range on the American Bookseller’s Exchange (ABE). To go to the advanced search page with that item up, click that link or https://tinyurl.com/y3vj2m4x.

/Bruce

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Dear all,

Best,
Eva

Thank you Barb for your actions!

@Bruce: the low price copies are the 1973 edition - these are apparently less rare than the 2005 edition with the inflated prices. I’ve been checking on the 2005 prices and they have been high for the last months.

Eva

···

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM “bara0361@gmail.comcsgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Hi all - I’m not sure I’d say Benchmark was so much in “disarray,” but changes are being made. I contacted Allie as soon as I saw the first request in this thread. We have already been having conversations about how to start printing some of these books again. Please stand by!

*barb

Barb Powers

/Bruce

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Dear all,

Best,
Eva

[From Erling Jorgensen (2019.03.11 1315 EDT)]

“Eva de Hullu” (eva@dehullu.net via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu 3/11/2019 12:59 PM

@Bruce: the low price copies are the 1973 edition - these are apparently less rare than the 2005 edition with the inflated prices. I’ve been checking on the 2005 prices and they have been high for the last months.

Hi Eva,

EJ: I have always worked with the 1973 edition, supplemented by other works by Bill Powers. I know one of the pieces that did not get into that 1973 version was a chapter on Emotions. I believe that chapter appeared in Living Control Systems-II; at least that is where I have had access to those notions of Bill. I do not have a clear sense of what other changes or additions were made to the 2nd edition of B:CP. Maybe someone else can update as to other key differences between the editions.

All the best,

Erling

Confidentiality: * This message is intended only for the addressee, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential under HIPAA, 42CFR Part 2, and/or other applicable State and Federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or the employer or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.*

Please also note: Under 42 CFR part 2 you are prohibited from making any further disclosure of information that identifies an individual as having or having had a substance use disorder unless it is expressly permitted by the written consent of the individual whose information is being disclosed or as otherwise permitted by 42 CFR Part 2.

Hi Eva,

We are checking to see if there are any 2005 copies of BC:P in storage - which, if there are, would make getting a copy to you faster than waiting for my siblings and I to complete the process of establishing a way to publish our father’s books via print-on-demand. I agree with my sister, Barb, that Benchmark Publishing wasn’t in disarray so much as it was that our dear Aunt Alice, who for so many years had done a fabulous job publishing her brother’s works and who so much wanted to see the last book he spoke of through to the finish, was declining in health through the process resulting in unexpected delays. With the expert assistance of her children Sarah Moriarty and Scott McElhone, we were able to make sure that all of her hard work on LCSIV (now under a new title to be announced) was transferred safely into the hands of Warren Mansell who is now diligently seeing the project to completion.

Your interest in our father’s work is greatly appreciated and we look forward making his books available again soon.

Best regards,

Allie Powers

···

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM “Erling Jorgensen” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

“Eva de Hullu” (eva@dehullu.net via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu 3/11/2019 12:59 PM

Hi Eva,

EJ: I have always worked with the 1973 edition, supplemented by other works by Bill Powers. I know one of the pieces that did not get into that 1973 version was a chapter on Emotions. I believe that chapter appeared in Living Control Systems-II; at least that is where I have had access to those notions of Bill. I do not have a clear sense of what other changes or additions were made to the 2nd edition of B:CP. Maybe someone else can update as to other key differences between the editions.

All the best,

Erling

Confidentiality: * This message is intended only for the addressee, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential under HIPAA, 42CFR Part 2, and/or other applicable State and Federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or the employer or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.*

Please also note: * Under 42 CFR part 2 you are prohibited from making any further disclosure of information that identifies an individual as having or having had a substance use disorder unless it is expressly permitted by the written consent of the individual whose information is being disclosed or as otherwise permitted by 42 CFR Part 2.*

Thank you so much for your reply, Allie.
It’s a wonderful experience in this PCT community that everything important is handled with so much care.

Kind regards,
Eva

···

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:06 PM Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Eva,

We are checking to see if there are any 2005 copies of BC:P in storage - which, if there are, would make getting a copy to you faster than waiting for my siblings and I to complete the process of establishing a way to publish our father’s books via print-on-demand. I agree with my sister, Barb, that Benchmark Publishing wasn’t in disarray so much as it was that our dear Aunt Alice, who for so many years had done a fabulous job publishing her brother’s works and who so much wanted to see the last book he spoke of through to the finish, was declining in health through the process resulting in unexpected delays. With the expert assistance of her children Sarah Moriarty and Scott McElhone, we were able to make sure that all of her hard work on LCSIV (now under a new title to be announced) was transferred safely into the hands of Warren Mansell who is now diligently seeing the project to completion.

Your interest in our father’s work is greatly appreciated and we look forward making his books available again soon.

Best regards,

Allie Powers

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM “Erling Jorgensen” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Hi Eva,

All the best,

Erling

Please also note: * Under 42 CFR part 2 you are prohibited from making any further disclosure of information that identifies an individual as having or having had a substance use disorder unless it is expressly permitted by the written consent of the individual whose information is being disclosed or as otherwise permitted by 42 CFR Part 2.*

Yes, I saw that after I wrote. I think the only really significant difference may be the chapter on emotion, which as I recall is available for download elsewhere.

···

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Eva de Hullu eva@dehullu.net wrote:

Thank you Barb for your actions!

Eva

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM “bara0361@gmail.comcsgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

*barb

Barb Powers

/Bruce

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Dear all,

Best,
Eva