Belief

[From Rupert Young (2015.11.22 12.30)]

I can think of many things; here's a few. Fortunately, these issues aren't a problem with many, if not most,

religious people, but that is probably because they don’t take their
religion that seriously. It’s the ones who do that we need to worry
about; IS (Islamic Scumbags
), Republican
Presidential Candidates.
Yes, but aren’t the references for those controlled variables
derived from religion? I’d say that goals like striving for power
are still faith-based (but not religious), in that there is some
belief in their own entitlement, power, status and value compared to
others, e.g. Trump, Stalin.
Are not beliefs and goals the same thing, in this context? That is,
beliefs are the reference value of goals. E.g. if you believe in
creationism (or sharia law) you are going to support actions
(sub-goals) that maintain that viewpoint and counter actions that
don’t (education in evolution).
Sure, but I don’t think you can separate the two (violent tendencies
and religious belief) necessarily. Which came first? Both the bible
and quran are, in part, violent books, and if you are brought up in
a religious environment where those perspectives are normalised then
they are likely to inform your goals.
I think what you are saying is it as a result of a higher goal? Yes,
but it could be that the violence goals leads to “choosing” a
religious group with violent aims, or it could be that religious
goals leads to “choosing” a violent group with religious aims.
Rupert

···

On 15/11/2015 18:23, Warren Mansell
wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with faith or religion per se.
  •     Faith - If people accept things as true as a result of faith

(belief based on ignorance rather than knowledge) then they can
    believe anything not matter how perverse or violent.
  •     Division - Religion is inherently divisive as each group think

that they alone hold the truth, and anyone who doesn’t is wrong
    and is of less value, deserves to die even.
  •     Afterlife complacency - If people believe they will get their

real rewards in the next life, then they are likely to not make
    the most of their opportunities in this life, or care so little
    about their own life or the lives of others that they have no
    compunction in blowing themselves up and taking the rest of us
    with them.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34877683
It is the chronic conflict caused by faith or religion trying to control a variable in an opposing direction to other personal goals (of the self or society) that causes the problem. There are plenty examples of faith that sits alongside scientific achievement within certain individuals, and plenty of examples of non-faith-related goals (e.g. striving for power) that cause problems too when in conflict.

I guess I see a belief as a held perception (normally of the self or world) and a goal as the desire to have a particular perception of the self or world. People rarely bother holding beliefs that are not relevant to their goals. I think the desire to hold a certain perception is much more powerful, and through control, changes the nature of ourselves and the world.
It is tempting to see the fundamentalist religious doctrine at the top of the hierarchy, driving the conflict, but this would not exist without individuals willing to resort to extreme levels to achieve eternal life. I always ask 'why are they attracted to this doctrine' and I expect that relates to the way they have experienced control and power in human relationships until that point. According to PCT, the perceptual hierarchy develops to ultimately meet intrinsic needs, and so it is during early childhood, surely, that the groundwork for the need to believe in religious extremism is started?
I am not saying we shouldn't have a place for belief in PCT, I just think it is often not at the root of things. We should always ask, but why would you WANT / NOT WANT to believe that?

Hi Rupert, just for the record I am an atheist, but I am used to these debates of whether beliefs or conflict cause problems through my clinical research, and it seems to come down to conflict every time. They is partly why PCT appeals to me so much beyond cognitive approaches.

For example people can hear voices in their head and not have schizophrenia; people can believe they have been abducted by aliens but lead a normal life (until they get into conflict with people who don’t ‘believe’ them).

If we have one thing to change in society and we try to battle religion we will firing a shotgun into the mist. Changing society requires a targeted attack on the most pernicious feature(s) of how societies of living systems fail at harmonious mutual (self and collective) control.

See below…

I can think of many things; here's a few.

Do you have evidence that everyone with faith is at greater risk of this kind of overgeneralisation? And what has it to do with PCT?

Again, not sure how this relates to PCT, and successful interfaith groups challenge this view.

with them.

I can see some PCT in this is one considers eternal life at the top of a goal hierarchy. However I don’t see why it entails suicide attacks on its own; indeed it motivates highly pro social behaviour too.

• Fortunately, these issues aren’t a problem with many, if not most,
    ), Republican
    Presidential Candidates.

Disagree again. There are many ‘serious’ religious figures - Dalai Llama, Amish communities, for example who are particularly known to be non-violent.

It is the chronic conflict caused by faith or religion trying to control a variable in an opposing direction to other personal goals (of the self or society) that causes the problem. There are plenty examples of faith that sits alongside scientific achievement within certain individuals, and plenty of examples of non-faith-related goals (e.g. striving for power) that cause problems too when in conflict.
Yes, but aren't the references for those controlled variables

Well if you are counting non-religious ‘faith’ in one’s own power and self importance then you are agreeing with my argument; these are not religious motives. You are alluding to a way of thinking that is superordinate to any specific religion.

I guess I see a belief as a held perception (normally of the self or world) and a goal as the desire to have a particular perception of the self or world. People rarely bother holding beliefs that are not relevant to their goals. I think the desire to hold a certain perception is much more powerful, and through control, changes the nature of ourselves and the world.

I guess this was Rick and Bill’s point. I think beliefs can be goals, but I am pretty sure we have beliefs about the world that are just facts but not necessarily how we want things to be. Right now I want my bedside table to be made of chocolate so I can have a bite to go with my cup of tea. But I believe 100% it is made of wood.

It is tempting to see the fundamentalist religious doctrine at the top of the hierarchy, driving the conflict, but this would not exist without individuals willing to resort to extreme levels to achieve eternal life. I always ask 'why are they attracted to this doctrine' and I expect that relates to the way they have experienced control and power in human relationships until that point. According to PCT, the perceptual hierarchy develops to ultimately meet intrinsic needs, and so it is during early childhood, surely, that the groundwork for the need to believe in religious extremism is started?
Sure, but I don't think you can separate the two (violent tendencies

and religious belief) necessarily.

Really? That’s odd. They sound different to me!

Which came first?

If you are asking this, then they are separable.

Both the bible

Agreed, but there are edicts for virtually every human endeavour in there too. The selection of page is controlled by the individual not the book.

I am not saying we shouldn't have a place for belief in PCT, I just think it is often not at the root of things. We should always ask, but why would you WANT / NOT WANT to believe that?

goals [only] leads to “choosing” a violent group with religious aims.

I guess I am saying that the first is likely but the second is almost impossible, with my parenthesis added. I don’t even think it is a simple as a history of family violence that will be related to choosing a violent religious group. Violence is part of human nature (e.g. a child’s need to be play a ‘baddy’ who rips people’s heads off!) that needs to be channelled by parents and society so that it does not breed conflict and destruction. It is my impression that this collective control process has gone awry in people who use violence to achieve their aims, and the banner under which this is done is largely circumstantial to their geographical location, family and local community. Yes it is likely to be reflected in their thinking styles, but not religion-specific.

Talk to you soon,

Warren

···

wrote:

When I Google “belief,” this pops up: “The state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty.”

The example of “believing” a table to be chocolate is perhaps not quite in the same context to which I’m understanding this conversation. It sounds more like wishful thinking…

When I say that aspects of religion seem borne of ignorance, I don’t mean that in a derogatory manner. There seems to be an overwhelming need in people to explain everything. Belief or faith can fill in the gaps between what a person knows and what they do not or cannot know. A great deal of comfort may be found in sharing those beliefs with a large group of people.

I agree that the problems boil down to conflict. There are religious fanatics, and very religious people who are calm and sedate, wouldn’t hurt a flea, both commonly found in any religious group. I see conflict in their interpretations, and the more obvious conflicts between believers and non-believers. I’ve heard it said that the Bible and quran are both very violent, but I’ve also heard it said that they are not. They both have proven themselves to be subject to the interpretation of every individual who reads them.

I think of a book my parents gave me when I was first pregnant, written by Burton L. White, called, “The FIrst Three Years of Life.” In it, he refers often to Jean PIaget, with whom I’m sure you are familiar. In reading this, raising my own children, and observing others raising theirs, I have come to firmly agree that these first years of life form a critical foundation for a person’s life. It’s not a joke to say that children are sponges. The trouble is, it’s difficult to squeeze out the early negative influences later in life.

Religion and beliefs are often introduced at birth, or not. It’s pretty easy to develop a circle of friends or colleagues in the mainstream, variations of levels of beliefs (or not), away from the radical fringes. I can only imagine the growing conflict a person would feel having been raised in a very radical environment, already borne of anger and violence, as he feels more and more at odds in a world which doesn’t appear to be full of people who share his beliefs, where he doesn’t feel he so easily fits in.

*barb

···

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 1:44 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Rupert, just for the record I am an atheist, but I am used to these debates of whether beliefs or conflict cause problems through my clinical research, and it seems to come down to conflict every time. They is partly why PCT appeals to me so much beyond cognitive approaches.

For example people can hear voices in their head and not have schizophrenia; people can believe they have been abducted by aliens but lead a normal life (until they get into conflict with people who don’t ‘believe’ them).

If we have one thing to change in society and we try to battle religion we will firing a shotgun into the mist. Changing society requires a targeted attack on the most pernicious feature(s) of how societies of living systems fail at harmonious mutual (self and collective) control.

See below…

On 22 Nov 2015, at 12:40, Rupert Young rupert@perceptualrobots.com wrote:

wrote:

•     Faith - If people accept things as true as a result of faith

(belief based on ignorance rather than knowledge) then they can
    believe anything not matter how perverse or violent.

Do you have evidence that everyone with faith is at greater risk of this kind of overgeneralisation? And what has it to do with PCT?

Again, not sure how this relates to PCT, and successful interfaith groups challenge this view.

with them.

I can see some PCT in this is one considers eternal life at the top of a goal hierarchy. However I don’t see why it entails suicide attacks on its own; indeed it motivates highly pro social behaviour too.

• Fortunately, these issues aren’t a problem with many, if not most,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34877683 ), Republican
    Presidential Candidates.

Disagree again. There are many ‘serious’ religious figures - Dalai Llama, Amish communities, for example who are particularly known to be non-violent.

Well if you are counting non-religious ‘faith’ in one’s own power and self importance then you are agreeing with my argument; these are not religious motives. You are alluding to a way of thinking that is superordinate to any specific religion.

I guess this was Rick and Bill’s point. I think beliefs can be goals, but I am pretty sure we have beliefs about the world that are just facts but not necessarily how we want things to be. Right now I want my bedside table to be made of chocolate so I can have a bite to go with my cup of tea. But I believe 100% it is made of wood.

Sure, but I don't think you can separate the two (violent tendencies

and religious belief) necessarily.

Which came first?

Both the bible

Agreed, but there are edicts for virtually every human endeavour in there too. The selection of page is controlled by the individual not the book.

goals [only] leads to “choosing” a violent group with religious aims.

I guess I am saying that the first is likely but the second is almost impossible, with my parenthesis added. I don’t even think it is a simple as a history of family violence that will be related to choosing a violent religious group. Violence is part of human nature (e.g. a child’s need to be play a ‘baddy’ who rips people’s heads off!) that needs to be channelled by parents and society so that it does not breed conflict and destruction. It is my impression that this collective control process has gone awry in people who use violence to achieve their aims, and the banner under which this is done is largely circumstantial to their geographical location, family and local community. Yes it is likely to be reflected in their thinking styles, but not religion-specific.

Talk to you soon,

Warren

Rupert

[From Bruce Abbott (2015.11.23.1800 EST]

Rick Marken (2015.11.22.1215) –

RM: There are so many threads going on that I’ve lost track.

Ah ha, perhaps that explains it! Rick, I would still like to hear your thoughts relative to my reply to you re: belief:

Bruce Abbott (2015.11.21.1200 EST), replying to Rick Marken (2015.11.20.1935). I think it’s an important issue for PCT that deserves further discussion and debate.

Bruce A.

[From Rick Marken (2015.11.23.1555)]

···

Bruce Abbott (2015.11.23.1800 EST)–

RM: There are so many threads going on that I’ve lost track.

BA: Ah ha, perhaps that explains it! Rick, I would still like to hear your thoughts relative to my reply to you re: belief:

Bruce Abbott (2015.11.21.1200 EST), replying to Rick Marken (2015.11.20.1935). I think it’s an important issue for PCT that deserves further discussion and debate.

RM: I’m flattered! I’ve put that post in my draft queue and will try to have something for you soon.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[From Rick Marken (2015.11.24.1040)]

···

Bruce Abbott (2015.11.21.1200 EST) –

OK, here’s my thoughts about your beliefs about belief;-)

Â

BA: I can imagine setting a reference for “height of nail above plankâ€? to zero and can imagine engaging in actions (e.g., hammer blows) that drive the nail. I’m “controlling in imagination.â€? But to my mind that is a different animal entirely from defining the term “imaginationâ€? as identical to controlling for an imagined perception.

RM: I just meant that the PCT model of imagination is a control model where the loop doesn’t go through the environment. I agree that not all imagining is imagined controlling; but imagination itself is, in theory, control of an imagined perception. So when I imagine a sunset I am controlling for that imagined perception by (in theory) sending a reference as an address to a content addressable memory which the places the contents of that address into the perceptual path of the system to which the reference was sent. So the process of imagining the sunset is a control process; the imagined sunset itself is, of course, not. But in the case of imagining a person hammering a nail, both the imagining and what is imagined are control processes.Â

BA: So you subscribe to the reality of “beliefs,â€? yet you deny that they are a part of PCT. Seems like an important omission . . .

RM: This may be the source of all of our problems. I think the word “belief” points to a phenomenon and that what we are doing is seeing whether we can think of how that phenomenon might be explained by PCT.The problem is that the word “belief” can refer to several different phenomena, all of which may have a PCT explanation. But whatever phenomenon the word “belief” refers to, the phenomenon itself is no more “a part of PCT” than is hammering nails into wood.Â

RM: So I believe in the reality of beliefs like a belief in god just as I believe in the reality of behaviors like hammering a nail into wood. But I think belief is something to be explained by PCT; not to be incorporated into it. The problem is to figure out what phenomenon – what reality – is being pointed to when we talk about “belief.”

RM: The phenomenon I thought we were referring to as “belief” is what we think of when someone believes in god or in PCT. It is the phenomenon of believing that some something – a real or imagined perception – is really true; that it explains some other perceptions. This is the kind of “belief” that, I think, is explained by the existence of a control system that is controlling for that perception being true. I believe in PCT Â and I am clearly controlling for PCT being true. There are many people who believe that the government is the cause of all our economic problems and they are clearly controlling for that being true.Â

RM: But there is another sense in which the word “belief” has been used. For example, when you say “I believe that X is 6 ft tall” I think you are saying something like “I recall that X is about 6 ft tall”. You are typically describing a memory; a retrieved perception. It could be that you are expressing a belief of the previous sort --where you really want it to be true that the person is 6 ft tall, In that case, I would say that you are controlling for that perception being true just as I am controlling for PCT being true. But you could just be saying that that’s the way you remember it, without any particularly strong concern about whether this memory is correct of not.Â

RM: Maybe this is an example of the difference between a high gain and a low gain belief. Who knows? What we need is some research on this topic – research that would begin by operationally defining “belief” (the phenomenon you are trying to explain) just as Powers operationally defined “behavior” (the phenomenon he wanted to explain) as a process of control.Â

Â

RM: I don’t think you can change another person’s beliefs through the application of the scientific method or any other way. People have to be willing to change their beliefs themselves.

Â

BA: What is “willingness to change beliefs,â€? and what is the “selfâ€? that must be so willing?

RM: What I was thinking of was the reorganizing system; that would be the “self” that does the “willing” and the “willing” would just be “intrinsic error” that drives the random “willful” changes in our control organization that results in changes in the way we behave (control).Â

RM: Again, I would say I approach this subject is by trying to see how the PCT model, in its present state, would exhibit the behavior that we see as “belief”. But until we have a good operational definition of "belief " I think we’re pretty much whistling into the wind – and a cross wind at that.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com
Author of  Doing Research on Purpose
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[From Rupert Young (2015.11.25 12.30)]

Hi Rupert, just for the record I am an atheist, but I am used

to these debates of whether beliefs or conflict cause problems
through my clinical research, and it seems to come down to
conflict every time. They is partly why PCT appeals to me so
much beyond cognitive approaches.

I don't see it as an either or situation. As I understand PCT

beliefs are perceptions and, so, can be controlled variables. That
is, beliefs can be the goals which form conflicts. After all
perceptions are perspectives on the world, and beliefs are no
different.

We are certainly seeing the results of intrapersonal conflicts in

the current situation, but wonder if there is (now) interpersonal
conflict within the Paris terrorists or they are just carrying out
their goals, which are based upon their religious beliefs. Perhaps,
they did have internal conflict, between their western desires and
their Islamic principles, but went up a level, to their belief in
allah, which has resulted in a resolution by accepting their Islamic
principles and further reinforced (controlled) by setting about
destroying western civilisation.

If we have one thing to change in society and we try to

battle religion we will firing a shotgun into the mist. Changing
society requires a targeted attack on the most pernicious
feature(s) of how societies of living systems fail at harmonious
mutual (self and collective) control.

Sure, but that failure might be due to goals which are

religious-based. And goals based on religion tend to be
intransigent, as they tend to be immune to reason and evidence. So
changing society might involve changing what people believe and how
they come to believe. I don’t think battles are good ideas, but
would favour an education approach, such as removing faith-based
education from schools and teaching children to be sceptical and how
to evaluate what they are being told, based upon reason and
evidence.

I can think of many things; here’s a few.

Do you have evidence that everyone with faith is at greater

risk of this kind of overgeneralisation? And what has it to do
with PCT?

Well, it is self-evident in a way, in that those in question have

already demonstrated that they are believers in bullshit (to use the
technical term). Of course it will also depend on what other
influences have led to their perceptions of the world. The killers
of Lee Rigby had been devout Christians who converted to (a violent
version of) Islam. It seems unlikely that they would have been
vulnerable to such a conversion if their background had been one of
scepticism and reason.

This wasn't a PCT point, but in response to your statement that you

didn’t think there was anything wrong with religion. However, it is
relevant to PCT in that it relates to how perceptual (belief) goals
are formed.

•           Division - Religion is inherently divisive as each group

think that they alone hold the truth, and anyone who
    doesn’t is wrong and is of less value, deserves to die
    even.
    Again, not sure how this relates to PCT, and successful

interfaith groups challenge this view.

I wonder if they do that by sticking to their religious principles

by saying “look you’re all going to hell because you don’t believe
as we do but we’ll put up with you until then” or do they find some
common humanity, which doesn’t need a religious context. Actually I
went to a discussion last night on tackling extremism and there was
an interfaith (Christian) leader there who is also a governor of a
local Islamic school. To counter some issues inherent in Islamic
teachings such as inequality and the inferiority of women he got the
school to sign up to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as
part of the school ethos. So the potential conflicts were resolved
by overriding religious principles with common human principles.

•           Afterlife complacency - If people believe they will get

their real rewards in the next life, then they are likely
    to not make the most of their opportunities in this life,
    or care so little about their own life or the lives of
    others that they have no compunction in blowing themselves
    up and taking the rest of us with them.
    I can see some PCT in this is one considers eternal life at

the top of a goal hierarchy. However I don’t see why it entails
suicide attacks on its own; indeed it motivates highly pro
social behaviour too.

There are many outcomes of this complacency, depending upon what

other influences are in the mix; suicide attacks are just
one possibility. Not sure how it would motivate highly pro social
behaviour, perhaps people of like minds would get together for
Rapture parties! Is that what you mean?

Fortunately, these issues aren't a

problem with many, if not most, religious people, but that is
probably because they don’t take their religion that seriously.
It’s the ones who do that we need to worry about; IS (Islamic
Scumbags ),
Republican Presidential Candidates.

Disagree again. There are many 'serious' religious figures -

Dalai Llama, Amish communities, for example who are particularly
known to be non-violent.

The Dalai Lama doesn't sound very 'serious', this is what he says

about his religion,

"*      This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no

need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is
our temple; the philosophy is kindness.* * Our prime purpose
in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at
least don’t hurt them.* * My religion is very simple. My
religion is kindness.*"

The Amish are a secretive, oppressive, divisive society where women

are subjugated. Google “amish domestic abuse” and I think you’ll see
they are not a great example.

However, it does depend on the message of the religion, so I'd

clarify my point to, where the content of religion is sometimes
violent we need to worry about those who take their religion
seriously.

derived from religion? I’d say that goals like striving for
power are still faith-based (but not religious), in that there
is some belief in their own entitlement, power, status and
value compared to others, e.g. Trump, Stalin.

Well if you are counting non-religious 'faith' in one's own

power and self importance then you are agreeing with my
argument; these are not religious motives. You are alluding to a
way of thinking that is superordinate to any specific religion.

Yes, that's right, faith, which I think is the problem, is

superordinate to any specific religion. But religion is inherently
based upon faith and actually promotes it as a virtue and
perpetuates it. Combined with its allusion to divine justification,
and promises of eternal life, it results in a very enduring,
pernicious ideology which silences critics. A political system, like
communism, on the other hand, if unsuccessful, will ultimately fail
as it has no supposed support from supposed higher powers.

Are not beliefs and goals the same thing, in this context?

That is, beliefs are the reference value of goals. E.g. if you
believe in creationism (or sharia law) you are going to
support actions (sub-goals) that maintain that viewpoint and
counter actions that don’t (education in evolution).

I guess this was Rick and Bill's point. I think beliefs can

be goals, but I am pretty sure we have beliefs about the world
that are just facts but not necessarily how we want things to
be.

Yep, beliefs, as they are perceptions, can controlled or

uncontrolled.

Right now I want my bedside table to be made of chocolate so

I can have a bite to go with my cup of tea. But I believe 100%
it is made of wood.

Do you think there is an equivalence between the "belief" that your

bedside table is made of wood and the belief that Jesus was born of
a virgin (in truth/knowledge terms)? The word “belief” is used in
different ways, but may mean very different things. For the former I
wouldn’t use the term belief, rather that you “know” the table is
made of wood (assuming you have examined it). I’d say there is a
spectrum of validity of our perspectives on the world with knowledge
at one end and ignorance (lack of knowledge) at the other. Religion
(and faith), by definition is at the ignorance end.

Sure, but I don't think you can separate the two (violent

tendencies and religious belief) necessarily.

Me too, which is why I qualified my statement with (not)

necessarily.

Which came first?

Yes, my point was that they can go hand in hand, during development,

rather than fundamentalist doctrine following violent tendencies,
which was what you seemed to be saying.

Both the bible and quran are, in part, violent books, and

if you are brought up in a religious environment where those
perspectives are normalised then they are likely to inform
your goals.

Agreed, but there are edicts for virtually every human

endeavour in there too. The selection of page is controlled by
the individual not the book.

But very difficult to do when you are told (and come to believe)

that the whole book is the infallible word of god. Again, selection
may come down to how seriously people take it all.

I think what you are saying is it as a result of a higher

goal? Yes, but it could be that the violence goals leads to
“choosing” a religious group with violent aims, or it could be
that religious goals [only] leads to “choosing” a violent
group with religious aims.

I guess I am saying that the first is likely but the second

is almost impossible, with my parenthesis added. I don’t even
think it is a simple as a history of family violence that will
be related to choosing a violent religious group. Violence is
part of human nature (e.g. a child’s need to be play a ‘baddy’
who rips people’s heads off!) that needs to be channelled by
parents and society so that it does not breed conflict and
destruction. It is my impression that this collective control
process has gone awry in people who use violence to achieve
their aims, and the banner under which this is done is largely
circumstantial to their geographical location, family and local
community. Yes it is likely to be reflected in their thinking
styles, but not religion-specific.

Something else just occurred to me that we might be missing, is that

the terrorists might not regard what they are doing as violent. I
recall one of the 7/7 bombers was a primary school teacher (or
assistant) and didn’t seem to be a violent person. If people come to
regard (believe) others as not human or sub-human (Nazis/Jews) they
may not see the way they treat them as wrong, or violent. So that
may be enough for abuse to occur without them actually being violent
themselves, or having a history of violence.

If there is any conflict in this discussion it may be whether or not

we regard beliefs as controlled perceptions. The resolution, I
think, is for you to come over to my way of thinking (and
Bill’s/Rick’s?) in order to avoid my own internal conflict where I
may have to question some of my own deeply cherished beliefs :-).

Rupert
···

On 15/11/2015 18:23, Warren
Mansell wrote:

Ah, I think we are close enough to the same page to let the debate go now as far as religion is concerned. But there is a more general point.
Do we control certain perceptions because they are supported by evidence, or do we control certain perceptions because they allow us to control higher level perceptions (and intrinsic ones)? Surely PCT is based on the latter? Of course, I think it certainly helps if our perceptions of the world are shared with other people, and that these perceptions are based on actual entities in the environment (the evidence), but I don’t think this is always necessary or feasible. We can maintain all kinds of beliefs/goals without them directly being supported by evidence, and they are still helpful to us and don’t necessarily breed conflict. For example, the belief children hold in Santa Claus leads to all kinds of positive outcomes for them and their parents. I think shows us the difference between a wholly empirical, rationalist stance on perception, and a functionalist stance on perception. I think PCT takes a functionalist stance - that is certainly how we do it in MOL - not testing for evidence like in PCT but helping the client to explore the conflict between their goals/beliefs. But nonetheless PCT does show through modelling, and your neat robots, how correspondence with reality is nonetheless commonplace and often adaptive especially for less abstract perceptions…
Warren

···

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Rupert Young rupert@perceptualrobots.com wrote:

[From Rupert Young (2015.11.25 12.30)]

On 23/11/2015 08:44, Warren Mansell wrote:
    Hi Rupert, just for the record I am an atheist, but I am used

to these debates of whether beliefs or conflict cause problems
through my clinical research, and it seems to come down to
conflict every time. They is partly why PCT appeals to me so
much beyond cognitive approaches.

I don't see it as an either or situation. As I understand PCT

beliefs are perceptions and, so, can be controlled variables. That
is, beliefs can be the goals which form conflicts. After all
perceptions are perspectives on the world, and beliefs are no
different.

We are certainly seeing the results of intrapersonal conflicts in

the current situation, but wonder if there is (now) interpersonal
conflict within the Paris terrorists or they are just carrying out
their goals, which are based upon their religious beliefs. Perhaps,
they did have internal conflict, between their western desires and
their Islamic principles, but went up a level, to their belief in
allah, which has resulted in a resolution by accepting their Islamic
principles and further reinforced (controlled) by setting about
destroying western civilisation.

If we have one thing to change in society and we try to

battle religion we will firing a shotgun into the mist. Changing
society requires a targeted attack on the most pernicious
feature(s) of how societies of living systems fail at harmonious
mutual (self and collective) control.

Sure, but that failure might be due to goals which are

religious-based. And goals based on religion tend to be
intransigent, as they tend to be immune to reason and evidence. So
changing society might involve changing what people believe and how
they come to believe. I don’t think battles are good ideas, but
would favour an education approach, such as removing faith-based
education from schools and teaching children to be sceptical and how
to evaluate what they are being told, based upon reason and
evidence.

On 15/11/2015 18:23, Warren

Mansell wrote:

•           Faith - If people accept things as true as a result of

faith (belief based on ignorance rather than knowledge)
    then they can believe anything not matter how perverse or
    violent.
    Do you have evidence that everyone with faith is at greater

risk of this kind of overgeneralisation? And what has it to do
with PCT?

Well, it is self-evident in a way, in that those in question have

already demonstrated that they are believers in bullshit (to use the
technical term). Of course it will also depend on what other
influences have led to their perceptions of the world. The killers
of Lee Rigby had been devout Christians who converted to (a violent
version of) Islam. It seems unlikely that they would have been
vulnerable to such a conversion if their background had been one of
scepticism and reason.

This wasn't a PCT point, but in response to your statement that you

didn’t think there was anything wrong with religion. However, it is
relevant to PCT in that it relates to how perceptual (belief) goals
are formed.

•           Division - Religion is inherently divisive as each group

think that they alone hold the truth, and anyone who
    doesn’t is wrong and is of less value, deserves to die
    even.
    Again, not sure how this relates to PCT, and successful

interfaith groups challenge this view.

I wonder if they do that by sticking to their religious principles

by saying “look you’re all going to hell because you don’t believe
as we do but we’ll put up with you until then” or do they find some
common humanity, which doesn’t need a religious context. Actually I
went to a discussion last night on tackling extremism and there was
an interfaith (Christian) leader there who is also a governor of a
local Islamic school. To counter some issues inherent in Islamic
teachings such as inequality and the inferiority of women he got the
school to sign up to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as
part of the school ethos. So the potential conflicts were resolved
by overriding religious principles with common human principles.

•           Afterlife complacency - If people believe they will get

their real rewards in the next life, then they are likely
    to not make the most of their opportunities in this life,
    or care so little about their own life or the lives of
    others that they have no compunction in blowing themselves
    up and taking the rest of us with them.
    I can see some PCT in this is one considers eternal life at

the top of a goal hierarchy. However I don’t see why it entails
suicide attacks on its own; indeed it motivates highly pro
social behaviour too.

There are many outcomes of this complacency, depending upon what

other influences are in the mix; suicide attacks are just
one possibility. Not sure how it would motivate highly pro social
behaviour, perhaps people of like minds would get together for
Rapture parties! Is that what you mean?

Fortunately, these issues aren't a

problem with many, if not most, religious people, but that is
probably because they don’t take their religion that seriously.
It’s the ones who do that we need to worry about; IS (Islamic
Scumbags http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34877683
),
Republican Presidential Candidates.

Disagree again. There are many 'serious' religious figures -

Dalai Llama, Amish communities, for example who are particularly
known to be non-violent.

The Dalai Lama doesn't sound very 'serious', this is what he says

about his religion,

"*      This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no

need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is
our temple; the philosophy is kindness.* * Our prime purpose
in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at
least don’t hurt them.* * My religion is very simple. My
religion is kindness.*"

The Amish are a secretive, oppressive, divisive society where women

are subjugated. Google “amish domestic abuse” and I think you’ll see
they are not a great example.

However, it does depend on the message of the religion, so I'd

clarify my point to, where the content of religion is sometimes
violent we need to worry about those who take their religion
seriously.

derived from religion? I’d say that goals like striving for
power are still faith-based (but not religious), in that there
is some belief in their own entitlement, power, status and
value compared to others, e.g. Trump, Stalin.

Well if you are counting non-religious 'faith' in one's own

power and self importance then you are agreeing with my
argument; these are not religious motives. You are alluding to a
way of thinking that is superordinate to any specific religion.

Yes, that's right, faith, which I think is the problem, is

superordinate to any specific religion. But religion is inherently
based upon faith and actually promotes it as a virtue and
perpetuates it. Combined with its allusion to divine justification,
and promises of eternal life, it results in a very enduring,
pernicious ideology which silences critics. A political system, like
communism, on the other hand, if unsuccessful, will ultimately fail
as it has no supposed support from supposed higher powers.

Are not beliefs and goals the same thing, in this context?

That is, beliefs are the reference value of goals. E.g. if you
believe in creationism (or sharia law) you are going to
support actions (sub-goals) that maintain that viewpoint and
counter actions that don’t (education in evolution).

I guess this was Rick and Bill's point. I think beliefs can

be goals, but I am pretty sure we have beliefs about the world
that are just facts but not necessarily how we want things to
be.

Yep, beliefs, as they are perceptions, can controlled or

uncontrolled.

Right now I want my bedside table to be made of chocolate so

I can have a bite to go with my cup of tea. But I believe 100%
it is made of wood.

Do you think there is an equivalence between the "belief" that your

bedside table is made of wood and the belief that Jesus was born of
a virgin (in truth/knowledge terms)? The word “belief” is used in
different ways, but may mean very different things. For the former I
wouldn’t use the term belief, rather that you “know” the table is
made of wood (assuming you have examined it). I’d say there is a
spectrum of validity of our perspectives on the world with knowledge
at one end and ignorance (lack of knowledge) at the other. Religion
(and faith), by definition is at the ignorance end.

Sure, but I don't think you can separate the two (violent

tendencies and religious belief) necessarily.

Me too, which is why I qualified my statement with (not)

necessarily.

Which came first?

Yes, my point was that they can go hand in hand, during development,

rather than fundamentalist doctrine following violent tendencies,
which was what you seemed to be saying.

Both the bible and quran are, in part, violent books, and

if you are brought up in a religious environment where those
perspectives are normalised then they are likely to inform
your goals.

Agreed, but there are edicts for virtually every human

endeavour in there too. The selection of page is controlled by
the individual not the book.

But very difficult to do when you are told (and come to believe)

that the whole book is the infallible word of god. Again, selection
may come down to how seriously people take it all.

I think what you are saying is it as a result of a higher

goal? Yes, but it could be that the violence goals leads to
“choosing” a religious group with violent aims, or it could be
that religious goals [only] leads to “choosing” a violent
group with religious aims.

I guess I am saying that the first is likely but the second

is almost impossible, with my parenthesis added. I don’t even
think it is a simple as a history of family violence that will
be related to choosing a violent religious group. Violence is
part of human nature (e.g. a child’s need to be play a ‘baddy’
who rips people’s heads off!) that needs to be channelled by
parents and society so that it does not breed conflict and
destruction. It is my impression that this collective control
process has gone awry in people who use violence to achieve
their aims, and the banner under which this is done is largely
circumstantial to their geographical location, family and local
community. Yes it is likely to be reflected in their thinking
styles, but not religion-specific.

Something else just occurred to me that we might be missing, is that

the terrorists might not regard what they are doing as violent. I
recall one of the 7/7 bombers was a primary school teacher (or
assistant) and didn’t seem to be a violent person. If people come to
regard (believe) others as not human or sub-human (Nazis/Jews) they
may not see the way they treat them as wrong, or violent. So that
may be enough for abuse to occur without them actually being violent
themselves, or having a history of violence.

If there is any conflict in this discussion it may be whether or not

we regard beliefs as controlled perceptions. The resolution, I
think, is for you to come over to my way of thinking (and
Bill’s/Rick’s?) in order to avoid my own internal conflict where I
may have to question some of my own deeply cherished beliefs :-).

Rupert

Dr Warren Mansell
Reader in Clinical Psychology
School of Psychological Sciences
2nd Floor Zochonis Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Email: warren.mansell@manchester.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8589

Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

Check www.pctweb.org for further information on Perceptual Control Theory

[From Bruce Abbott (2015.11.25.0855 EST)]

Rick Marken (2015.11.24.1040) –

Bruce Abbott (2015.11.21.1200 EST) –

OK, here’s my thoughts about your beliefs about belief;-)

Fair enough:  I’ll try to give you my beliefs about your thoughts about belief . . . :wink:

BA: I can imagine setting a reference for “height of nail above plank� to zero and can imagine engaging in actions (e.g., hammer blows) that drive the nail. I’m “controlling in imagination.� But to my mind that is a different animal entirely from defining the term “imagination� as identical to controlling for an imagined perception.

RM: I just meant that the PCT model of imagination is a control model where the loop doesn’t go through the environment. I agree that not all imagining is imagined controlling; but imagination itself is, in theory, control of an imagined perception. So when I imagine a sunset I am controlling for that imagined perception by (in theory) sending a reference as an address to a content addressable memory which the places the contents of that address into the perceptual path of the system to which the reference was sent. So the process of imagining the sunset is a control process; the imagined sunset itself is, of course, not. But in the case of imagining a person hammering a nail, both the imagining and what is imagined are control processes.

O.K., so we can distinguish between the process by which imaginary perceptions are brought into being (in theory a control process) and the content of the perceptions so imagined. The content could be of something static (an imagined or remembered sunset) or of something dynamic (e.g., imagining the bit of a drill press drilling through a piece of steel). Among the dynamic images could be that of an imagined control system doing its thing (e.g., hamming a nail).

BA: So you subscribe to the reality of “beliefs,� yet you deny that they are a part of PCT. Seems like an important omission . . .

RM: This may be the source of all of our problems. I think the word “belief” points to a phenomenon and that what we are doing is seeing whether we can think of how that phenomenon might be explained by PCT.The problem is that the word “belief” can refer to several different phenomena, all of which may have a PCT explanation. But whatever phenomenon the word “belief” refers to, the phenomenon itself is no more “a part of PCT” than is hammering nails into wood.

RM: So I believe in the reality of beliefs like a belief in god just as I believe in the reality of behaviors like hammering a nail into wood. But I think belief is something to be explained by PCT; not to be incorporated into it. The problem is to figure out what phenomenon – what reality – is being pointed to when we talk about “belief.”

RM: The phenomenon I thought we were referring to as “belief” is what we think of when someone believes in god or in PCT. It is the phenomenon of believing that some something – a real or imagined perception – is really true; that it explains some other perceptions.

Careful: Belief is the phenomenon of believing? Isn’t that a tautology? Perhaps it’s the degree of confidence one has that a perception is valid – that it corresponds to something out there in the “real world.â€?

This is the kind of “belief” that, I think, is explained by the existence of a control system that is controlling for that perception being true. I believe in PCT and I am clearly controlling for PCT being true. There are many people who believe that the government is the cause of all our economic problems and they are clearly controlling for that being true.

I think we have to distinguish carefully between what we believe to be true and controlling against disturbances to that belief. I may believe that I’m going to enjoy a particular movie but I’m not going to be denying the evidence of my feelings if I find myself not enjoying it. On the other hand, if my whole existence is organized around my belief in the teachings of a particular cult, the repercussions of loosing that belief may be so powerful that I will go to just about any lengths to deny the reality of any evidence to the contrary.

RM: But there is another sense in which the word “belief” has been used. For example, when you say “I believe that X is 6 ft tall” I think you are saying something like “I recall that X is about 6 ft tall”. You are typically describing a memory; a retrieved perception. It could be that you are expressing a belief of the previous sort --where you really want it to be true that the person is 6 ft tall, In that case, I would say that you are controlling for that perception being true just as I am controlling for PCT being true. But you could just be saying that that’s the way you remember it, without any particularly strong concern about whether this memory is correct of not.

Of course. In my previous post I suggested that the word “believe� as used in this sense reflects degree of certainty, in contrast to, for example, “I’m sure that he’s 6 ft tall.�

RM: Maybe this is an example of the difference between a high gain and a low gain belief. Who knows? What we need is some research on this topic – research that would begin by operationally defining “belief” (the phenomenon you are trying to explain) just as Powers operationally defined “behavior” (the phenomenon he wanted to explain) as a process of control.

Gain determines the strength of a control system’s compensatory output for a given amount of error. With high gain, strong counteractions develop in response to small errors. Gain is relevant only for beliefs being controlled for.

RM: I don’t think you can change another person’s beliefs through the application of the scientific method or any other way. People have to be willing to change their beliefs themselves.

BA: What is “willingness to change beliefs,� and what is the “self� that must be so willing?

RM: What I was thinking of was the reorganizing system; that would be the “self” that does the “willing” and the “willing” would just be “intrinsic error” that drives the random “willful” changes in our control organization that results in changes in the way we behave (control).

So for you, “willing to change� means that there must be error in one or more intrinsic variables to drive these changes. You seem to be referring to strongly held (meaning strongly defended) beliefs as opposed to the belief, say, that there’s still some milk left in the refrigerator. The latter belief is easily changed by new evidence.

I originally thought you might be referring to something Bill Powers introduced so eloquently in the preface to B:CP:

This process [applying the model to ourselves] puts experience before theory but paradoxically shows that much which seems uniquely human is after all only acquired mechanism. The human remainder, the factor distinguishing man from animal or machine, is visible in the model only as a ghost, through its transcendent effects on the model itself.

Is that the Soul of which I speak? The Atman? The Awareness? Of course it is. It is myself, yourself. But I have not been forced by this theory to conclude that this factor, this self, has to be treated either with tact or reverence. It is a perfectly natural part of the totality we call a human being. It has functions in this otherwise mechanistically representable structure, and is not just along for the ride. Animals have it, too. If it does not seem subject to the laws of physics, I take that as evidence that physics is still in an early stage of its development. Whatever its nature, and I am sure it has a nature, it is adequately understandable through its effects on experience – and, iincidentally, on learning. Adequately, that is, for any purpose I can now conceive.

Bruce A.

[From Bruce Abbott (2015.11.25.1100 EST)]

···

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:41 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Belief

Warren replying to Rupert Young (2015.11.25 12.30) –

Ah, I think we are close enough to the same page to let the debate go now as far as religion is concerned. But there is a more general point.

Do we control certain perceptions because they are supported by evidence, or do we control certain perceptions because they allow us to control higher level perceptions (and intrinsic ones)?

Surely PCT is based on the latter? Of course, I think it certainly helps if our perceptions of the world are shared with other people, and that these perceptions are based on actual entities in the environment (the evidence), but I don’t think this is always necessary or feasible. We can maintain all kinds of beliefs/goals without them directly being supported by evidence, and they are still helpful to us and don’t necessarily breed conflict. For example, the belief children hold in Santa Claus leads to all kinds of positive outcomes for them and their parents. I think shows us the difference between a wholly empirical, rationalist stance on perception, and a functionalist stance on perception. I think PCT takes a functionalist stance - that is certainly how we do it in MOL - not testing for evidence like in PCT but helping the client to explore the conflict between their goals/beliefs. But nonetheless PCT does show through modelling, and your neat robots, how correspondence with reality is nonetheless commonplace and often adaptive especially for less abstract perceptions…

Well said, Warren. But consider this: For years I’ve been successfully controlling for the absence of lions, tigers, and bears in my back yard. Of course, it’s quite a bit of work and expense to prepare the repellent substances (they have to be replaced weekly), but it’s been worth the trouble and expense as I’ve not been bothered by a single intrusion since moving into the neighborhood.

Here I believe that there are lions, tigers, and bears in the neighborhood (based on what? Rumor, perhaps, or psychosis? Weak evidence, perhaps, but evidence nevertheless) and I believe, at least provisionally, in the possible effectiveness of the repellents in keeping them away (based on what? Some reading on the internet? More evidence.). Because I do not want lions, tigers, and bears on my property, I set up a control system to keep the perception of their presence at zero, by means of repellent applications. Because this control is successful, there is no error and thus no reorganization of this system.

Presumably, it’s my fear of these animals that causes me to develop a control system to keep them away. It is my evidence-based beliefs that they are in the area, and that the repellents will keep them away, that leads me to adopt this particular lower-level method of control, by means of which I control my fear of being eaten.

We reorganize in order to achieve the necessary control over certain variables, but at least when we consciously construct such systems, evidence often matters.

Sometimes, apparent success at control is illusory, and the consequence profound. The tribe sacrifices its most beautiful child to the volcano god, based on the belief that the rains have failed because the god is angry, and that the god can be placated with the sacrifice. The practice continues because in the past it has seemed to work: the sacrifice was made and soon after, the rains came.

Bruce A.

Thanks Bruce, I really like these examples. They also remind me of what one would do to challenge these systems - they are called behavioural experiments in CBT - try dropping the control strategy and see what happens! They are a particular subtype of belief regarding control, which makes them important to understand.

In CBT we call them safety behaviours. We differ from CBT therapists in that we don’t expect patients to do behavioural experiments to test all of their control strategies - only those ones that cause conflict. In your example, if its not too much effort to repel those non-existent animals, then is it really a problem? - it makes you feel better!

You evoked much more conflict in the tribe example because, of course, we all expect tribes to also have goals regarding preserving the life of their children.

In clinical work, our patients may have dozens of these superstitious control strategies. The challenge is working out which ones to tackle. from a PCT perspective we would focus only on those causing substantial conflict - so not carrying a lucky talisman around with you - where is the harm in that? But how about avoiding eye contact in conversation - that one will make more difference to a person’s life.

So again, I believe it all comes down to conflict between higher level goals (values/principles/ideals), not veracity of belief…

Warren

···

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

Do we control certain perceptions because they are supported by evidence, or do we control certain perceptions because they allow us to control higher level perceptions (and intrinsic ones)?

Surely PCT is based on the latter? Of course, I think it certainly helps if our perceptions of the world are shared with other people, and that these perceptions are based on actual entities in the environment (the evidence), but I don’t think this is always necessary or feasible. We can maintain all kinds of beliefs/goals without them directly being supported by evidence, and they are still helpful to us and don’t necessarily breed conflict. For example, the belief children hold in Santa Claus leads to all kinds of positive outcomes for them and their parents. I think shows us the difference between a wholly empirical, rationalist stance on perception, and a functionalist stance on perception. I think PCT takes a functionalist stance - that is certainly how we do it in MOL - not testing for evidence like in PCT but helping the client to explore the conflict between their goals/beliefs. But nonetheless PCT does show through modelling, and your neat robots, how correspondence with reality is nonetheless commonplace and often adaptive especially for less abstract perceptions…

Well said, Warren. But consider this: For years I’ve been successfully controlling for the absence of lions, tigers, and bears in my back yard. Of course, it’s quite a bit of work and expense to prepare the repellent substances (they have to be replaced weekly), but it’s been worth the trouble and expense as I’ve not been bothered by a single intrusion since moving into the neighborhood.

Here I believe that there are lions, tigers, and bears in the neighborhood (based on what? Rumor, perhaps, or psychosis? Weak evidence, perhaps, but evidence nevertheless) and I believe, at least provisionally, in the possible effectiveness of the repellents in keeping them away (based on what? Some reading on the internet? More evidence.). Because I do not want lions, tigers, and bears on my property, I set up a control system to keep the perception of their presence at zero, by means of repellent applications. Because this control is successful, there is no error and thus no reorganization of this system.

Presumably, it’s my fear of these animals that causes me to develop a control system to keep them away. It is my evidence-based beliefs that they are in the area, and that the repellents will keep them away, that leads me to adopt this particular lower-level method of control, by means of which I control my fear of being eaten.

We reorganize in order to achieve the necessary control over certain variables, but at least when we consciously construct such systems, evidence often matters.

Sometimes, apparent success at control is illusory, and the consequence profound. The tribe sacrifices its most beautiful child to the volcano god, based on the belief that the rains have failed because the god is angry, and that the god can be placated with the sacrifice. The practice continues because in the past it has seemed to work: the sacrifice was made and soon after, the rains came.

Bruce A.

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

[From Rupert Young (2015.11.25 2100)]

Do we control certain perceptions because they are supported by evidence, or do we control certain perceptions because they allow us to control higher level perceptions (and intrinsic ones)? Surely PCT is based on the latter? Of course, I think it certainly helps if our perceptions of the world are shared with other people, and that these perceptions are based on actual entities in the environment (the evidence), but I don't think this is always necessary or feasible. We can maintain all kinds of beliefs/goals without them directly being supported by evidence, and they are still helpful to us and don't necessarily breed conflict. For example, the belief children hold in Santa Claus leads to all kinds of positive outcomes for them and their parents. I think shows us the difference between a wholly empirical, rationalist stance on perception, and a functionalist stance on perception. I think PCT takes a functionalist stance - that is certainly how we do it in MOL - not testing for evidence like in PCT but helping the client to explore the conflict between their goals/beliefs. But nonetheless PCT does show through modelling, and your neat robots, how correspondence with reality is nonetheless commonplace and often adaptive especially for less abstract perceptions....

Yes, the latter I think, at higher levels anyway. The Mayans believed that for the sun to rise they had to sacrifice someone everyday. It appeared to work, but, of course, there was no feedback path from sacrifice to rising sun. At lower levels there does need to be a deterministic connection between the environment and the perception otherwise we wouldn't be able to do simple things like walk. At some level we may also have HADDs (Hypersensitive Agent Detection Devices), whereby if we perceive (believe) a rustling in the bushes to be an agent, maybe a tiger, and run away even though it is most often imaginary, then we are likely to survive longer.

I guess evidence is not necessary when exploring conflicting goals. Though the resolution of conflict doesn't mean a positive outcome necessarily. I wonder if the outcomes are more likely to be positive if those ("belief") perceptions do become aligned with reality.

Rupert

···

On 25/11/2015 12:40, Warren Mansell wrote:

[From Bruce Abbott (2015.11.26.0715 EST)]

···

Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:15 AM

Thanks Bruce, I really like these examples. They also remind me of what one would do to challenge these systems - they are called behavioural experiments in CBT - try dropping the control strategy and see what happens! They are a particular subtype of belief regarding control, which makes them important to understand.

In CBT we call them safety behaviours. We differ from CBT therapists in that we don’t expect patients to do behavioural experiments to test all of their control strategies - only those ones that cause conflict. In your example, if its not too much effort to repel those non-existent animals, then is it really a problem? - it makes you feel better!

You evoked much more conflict in the tribe example because, of course, we all expect tribes to also have goals regarding preserving the life of their children.

In clinical work, our patients may have dozens of these superstitious control strategies. The challenge is working out which ones to tackle. From a PCT perspective we would focus only on those causing substantial conflict - so not carrying a lucky talisman around with you - where is the harm in that? But how about avoiding eye contact in conversation - that one will make more difference to a person’s life.

So again, I believe it all comes down to conflict between higher level goals (values/principles/ideals), not veracity of belief…

Thanks, Warren, for the little peek into therapy methods. Interesting . . .

My Master’s Thesis back in the early 1970’s was on control, so I read quite a bit of the available psychological research on the topic. As I recall, almost all if not all of the human research centered on the effects of perceived control.  There was also some animal research with rats and monkeys showing that the harmful physiological effects of being exposed to a shock schedule were affected by the ability to exert some form of control over shock delivery.  These studies involved actual, not perceived control. The monkey study yoked two animals together such that both received the same shocks, but only one of them had control. The monkey having control developed stomach ulcers whereas the passive one did not. This became known as the “ Brady executive monkey study “due to the suggestion that it modeled the stress supposedly felt by high-powered executives. However, analogous rat studies found to opposite effect, and the monkey result failed to replicate. Today we know that stomach ulcers are not caused by “stress� per se but by certain bacteria living in the gut.

Bruce

Bruce A.

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

Available Now

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7227 / Virus Database: 4477/11066 - Release Date: 11/25/15

Version: 2016.0.7227 / Virus Database: 4477/11057 - Release Date: 11/24/15

Yep, we are doing a yoked study in humans at the moment where on group of phobic participants controls their distance from a spider on the screen, and the other group is exposed to the same spiders at the same distances, but not under their control. We predict that self controlled exposure us more therapeutic than exposure controlled by another person. This is real control but we will measure perceived control too to see how it tallies…

Warren

···

On Thursday, November 26, 2015, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

Â

Â

Thanks Bruce, I really like these examples. They also remind me of what one would do to challenge these systems - they are called behavioural experiments in CBT - try dropping the control strategy and see what happens! They are a particular subtype of belief regarding control, which makes them important to understand.Â

Â

In CBT we call them safety behaviours. We differ from CBT therapists in that we don’t expect patients to do behavioural experiments to test all of their control strategies - only those ones that cause conflict. In your example, if its not too much effort to repel those non-existent animals, then is it really a problem? - it makes you feel better!Â

Â

Â

In clinical work, our patients may have dozens of these superstitious control strategies. The challenge is working out which ones to tackle. From a PCT perspective we would focus only on those causing substantial conflict - so not carrying a lucky talisman around with you - where is the harm in that? But how about avoiding eye contact in conversation - that one will make more difference to a person’s life.Â

Â

Â

Â

My Master’s Thesis back in the early 1970’s was on control, so I read quite a bit of the available psychological research on the topic. As I recall, almost all if not all of the human research centered on the effects of perceived control. There was also some animal research with rats and monkeys showing that the harmful physiological effects of being exposed to a shock schedule were affected by the ability to exert some form of control over shock delivery. These studies involved actual, not perceived control. The monkey study yoked two animals together such that both received the same shocks, but only one of them had control. The monkey having control developed stomach ulcers whereas the passive one did not. This became known as the “ Brady executive monkey study “due to the suggestion that it modeled the stress supposedly felt by high-powered executives. However, analogous rat studies found to opposite effect, and the monkey result failed to replicate. Today we know that stomach ulcers are not caused by “stress� per se but by certain bacteria living in the gut.

Â

Bruce

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Ah, I think we are close enough to the same page to let the debate go now as far as religion is concerned. But there is a more general point.Â

Â

Â

Well said, Warren. But consider this: For years I’ve been successfully controlling for the absence of lions, tigers, and bears in my back yard. Of course, it’s quite a bit of work and expense to prepare the repellent substances (they have to be replaced weekly), but it’s been worth the trouble and expense as I’ve not been bothered by a single intrusion since moving into the neighborhood.

Â

Here I believe that there are lions, tigers, and bears in the neighborhood (based on what? Rumor, perhaps, or psychosis? Weak evidence, perhaps, but evidence nevertheless) and I believe, at least provisionally, in the possible effectiveness of the repellents in keeping them away (based on what? Some reading on the internet? More evidence.). Because I do not want lions, tigers, and bears on my property, I set up a control system to keep the perception of their presence at zero, by means of repellent applications. Because this control is successful, there is no error and thus no reorganization of this system.

Â

Presumably, it’s my fear of these animals that causes me to develop a control system to keep them away. It is my evidence-based beliefs that they are in the area, and that the repellents will keep them away, that leads me to adopt this particular lower-level method of control, by means of which I control my fear of being eaten.

Â

Â

Sometimes, apparent success at control is illusory, and the consequence profound. The tribe sacrifices its most beautiful child to the volcano god, based on the belief that the rains have failed because the god is angry, and that the god can be placated with the sacrifice. The practice continues because in the past it has seemed to work: the sacrifice was made and soon after, the rains came.

Â

Bruce A.

Â

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Â
Â

Â
Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

Â

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Â
Â
Â
Advanced notice of a new transdiagnostic therapy manual, authored by Carey, Mansell & Tai - Principles-Based Counselling and Psychotherapy: A Method of Levels Approach

Available Now

I’m sure I got an ulcer or two teaching my children to drive…Â Â :slight_smile:

*barb

···

On Nov 26, 2015 10:12 AM, “Warren Mansell” wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Yep, we are doing a yoked study in humans at the moment where on group of phobic participants controls their distance from a spider on the screen, and the other group is exposed to the same spiders at the same distances, but not under their control. We predict that self controlled exposure us more therapeutic than exposure controlled by another person. This is real control but we will measure perceived control too to see how it tallies…
Warren

On Thursday, November 26, 2015, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

Â

Â

Thanks Bruce, I really like these examples. They also remind me of what one would do to challenge these systems - they are called behavioural experiments in CBT - try dropping the control strategy and see what happens! They are a particular subtype of belief regarding control, which makes them important to understand.Â

Â

In CBT we call them safety behaviours. We differ from CBT therapists in that we don’t expect patients to do behavioural experiments to test all of their control strategies - only those ones that cause conflict. In your example, if its not too much effort to repel those non-existent animals, then is it really a problem? - it makes you feel better!Â

Â

Â

In clinical work, our patients may have dozens of these superstitious control strategies. The challenge is working out which ones to tackle. From a PCT perspective we would focus only on those causing substantial conflict - so not carrying a lucky talisman around with you - where is the harm in that? But how about avoiding eye contact in conversation - that one will make more difference to a person’s life.Â

Â

Â

Â

My Master’s Thesis back in the early 1970’s was on control, so I read quite a bit of the available psychological research on the topic. As I recall, almost all if not all of the human research centered on the effects of perceived control. There was also some animal research with rats and monkeys showing that the harmful physiological effects of being exposed to a shock schedule were affected by the ability to exert some form of control over shock delivery. These studies involved actual, not perceived control. The monkey study yoked two animals together such that both received the same shocks, but only one of them had control. The monkey having control developed stomach ulcers whereas the passive one did not. This became known as the “ Brady executive monkey study “due to the suggestion that it modeled the stress supposedly felt by high-powered executives. However, analogous rat studies found to opposite effect, and the monkey result failed to replicate. Today we know that stomach ulcers are not caused by “stress� per se but by certain bacteria living in the gut.

Â

Bruce

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Ah, I think we are close enough to the same page to let the debate go now as far as religion is concerned. But there is a more general point.Â

Â

Â

Well said, Warren. But consider this: For years I’ve been successfully controlling for the absence of lions, tigers, and bears in my back yard. Of course, it’s quite a bit of work and expense to prepare the repellent substances (they have to be replaced weekly), but it’s been worth the trouble and expense as I’ve not been bothered by a single intrusion since moving into the neighborhood.

Â

Here I believe that there are lions, tigers, and bears in the neighborhood (based on what? Rumor, perhaps, or psychosis? Weak evidence, perhaps, but evidence nevertheless) and I believe, at least provisionally, in the possible effectiveness of the repellents in keeping them away (based on what? Some reading on the internet? More evidence.). Because I do not want lions, tigers, and bears on my property, I set up a control system to keep the perception of their presence at zero, by means of repellent applications. Because this control is successful, there is no error and thus no reorganization of this system.

Â

Presumably, it’s my fear of these animals that causes me to develop a control system to keep them away. It is my evidence-based beliefs that they are in the area, and that the repellents will keep them away, that leads me to adopt this particular lower-level method of control, by means of which I control my fear of being eaten.

Â

Â

Sometimes, apparent success at control is illusory, and the consequence profound. The tribe sacrifices its most beautiful child to the volcano god, based on the belief that the rains have failed because the god is angry, and that the god can be placated with the sacrifice. The practice continues because in the past it has seemed to work: the sacrifice was made and soon after, the rains came.

Â

Bruce A.

Â

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Â
Â

Â

Available Now

Â

Dr Warren Mansell
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Â
Â
Â

Available Now