Bill Powers' Artificial Cerebellum demo

[From Bruce Abbott (2018.11.05.1450 EST)]

Does anyone have a copy of Bill Powers’ “artificial cerebellum” demo? Bill described it in 1994, but thus far I have not been able to locate the actual program. Source code would be great, but even a copy of the executable program would be helpful. I don’t know whether it is a DOS or Windows program, but it wouldn’t matter as I can run either.

Bruce

[Rick Marken 2018-11-05_17:55:29]

Bruce Abbott (2018.11.05.1450 EST)

Â

Does anyone have a copy of Bill Powers’ “artificial cerebellumâ€? demo? Bill described it in 1994, but thus far I have not been able to locate the actual program. Source code would be great, but even a copy of the executable program would be helpful. I don’t know whether it is a DOS or Windows program, but it wouldn’t matter as I can run either.

RM: I think the only person who might have a copy of that is a fellow named Bruce Abbott. I never had a copy because I only worked on Motorola 68000 processors (commodore, apple, etc) for my personal computers until just a few years ago and Bill only worked on PC compatible processors. Maybe that’s why I never learned PCT; well that and my inability to do math.Â

BestÂ

RickÂ

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Not exactly, but there is a description in the archives, which is a good start
for looking at the implementation:

" (Assume compensatory tracking, desired cursor position = 0)

Let c = model's cursor position
    h = model's handle position
    h' = observed handle position
    d = disturbance applied during real run and model run
    z = delay time (I can't transmit "tau")
    f(z) = the transfer function.
    e = prediction error

Set f(z) to all zeros.

For all values of t from t+z to tmax do:
{
Compute model handle position from control-system model:
   c(t) = h(t) + d(t)
   h(t) = SUM[ c(t-z)*f(z)] over all z
Compute prediction error e:
   e(t) = h'(t) - h(t)
For all z, make correction:
   f(z) = f(z) + e(t)*c(t-z)*k, where k is a small fraction.
}
"

There is also a part of the code in the AC with the "armac" demo. It is in the
FTAUCONT.C file, but I'm guessing you know this one.

Oh, and btw. Bill mentiones that this method of deconvolution is practically
identical to "iterative deconvolution" used in signal processing and, can be
derived from Jacobi's method of solving systems of linear equations.
Apparently it was rediscovered independently by several people after Jacobi,
including Bill. Now the method is very common in astronomy and microscopy.

[From Bruce Abbott (2018.11.07.1920 EST)]

[Rick Marken 2018-11-05_17:55:29] –

Bruce Abbott (2018.11.05.1450 EST)

Does anyone have a copy of Bill Powers’ “artificial cerebellum� demo? Bill described it in 1994, but thus far I have not been able to locate the actual program. Source code would be great, but even a copy of the executable program would be helpful. I don’t know whether it is a DOS or Windows program, but it wouldn’t matter as I can run either.

RM: I think the only person who might have a copy of that is a fellow named Bruce Abbott. I never had a copy because I only worked on Motorola 68000 processors (commodore, apple, etc) for my personal computers until just a few years ago and Bill only worked on PC compatible processors. Maybe that’s why I never learned PCT; well that and my inability to do math.

Well, I didn’t have a copy, but I do now thanks to Richard Kennaway, as well as a copy of the Little Man 2 demo to which Bill Powers had added the artificial cerebellum, thanks to Adam Matic. Thanks, guys!

These are DOS programs but I’ve now successfully tested both of them using DOSBox, a utility that emulates DOS on a Windows PC. They work perfectly in Windows 10, would you believe! But more importantly, I now have the source code.

Bruce

[Rick Marken 2018-11-07_16:27:55]

[From Bruce Abbott (2018.11.07.1920 EST)]

Â

RM: I think the only person who might have a copy of that is a fellow named Bruce Abbott. I never had a copy because I only worked on Motorola 68000 processors (commodore, apple, etc) for my personal computers until just a few years ago and Bill only worked on PC compatible processors. Maybe that’s why I never learned PCT; well that and my inability to do math.Â

Â

BA: Well, I didn’t have a copy, but I do now thanks to Richard Kennaway, as well as a copy of the Little Man 2 demo to which Bill Powers had added the artificial cerebellum, thanks to Adam Matic. Thanks, guys!

Â

BA: These are DOS programs but I’ve now successfully tested both of them using DOSBox, a utility that emulates DOS on a Windows PC. They work perfectly in Windows 10, would you believe! But more importantly, I now have the source code.

RM: Super. Could you send me a copy of the source code, please.Â

Best

RickÂ

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Erling Jorgensen (2018.11.08 1255 EST)]

Bruce Abbott (2018.11.07.1920 EST)

Well, I didn’t have a copy, but I do now thanks to Richard Kennaway, as well as a copy of the Little Man 2 demo to which Bill Powers had added the artificial cerebellum, thanks to Adam Matic. Thanks, guys!

These are DOS programs but I’ve now successfully tested both of them using DOSBox, a utility that emulates DOS on a Windows PC. They work perfectly in Windows 10, would you believe! But more importantly, I now have the source code.

EJ: Hi Bruce. Along with Rick, I would like to get a copy of the source code, if that would be possible. Thanks. Good talking with you at the IAPCT Conference!

Erling

Confidentiality: * This message is intended only for the addressee, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential under HIPAA, 42CFR Part 2, and/or other applicable State and Federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or the employer or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.*

Please also note: Under 42 CFR part 2 you are prohibited from making any further disclosure of information that identifies an individual as having or having had a substance use disorder unless it is expressly permitted by the written consent of the individual whose information is being disclosed or as otherwise permitted by 42 CFR Part 2.