Blowing my own horn

[From Rick Marken (2005.04.07.1720)]

I happened upon this while cruising the net this afternoon. Someone at bartcop.com copied this letter to the editor, which was written by an incredibly prescient observer of human (and chimp) behavior. And it was published on my birthday, 2003, about one month before the invasion of Iraq.

"Bush said the overthrow of Hussein would help bring peace to the Middle East. I truly hope that he is right this time. But, like the tax cut that was supposed to improve the economy,� the budget that was not going to result in massive deficits, the lack of response to the energy crisis that was supposedly not caused by the greed of energy brokers, the invisible reform of executive stock-option policy that was going to put the market back on its feet and the foreign policy that was not going to make the United States the most disliked country on the planet, I guess we'll find out soon enough."
�� --Richard S. Marken, Letters to the Editor, latimes.com, 02/28/03

My question is whether one would have to understand PCT (as the writer of this letter clearly does;-) to know how awful this administration is, or whether it would just come to you naturally if you were a normally observant and decent human being.

Best

Rick

···

----
Richard S. Marken Consulting
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

"Remarkably prescient" indeed! Bah, humbug, sir! Any fool could have seen what was in the offing. As a bumper stick I saw recently says, "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing an idiot."

Bill Maher recently said that George W. Bush stands accused and guilty of codified treason. Strong words, don't you think. On my part, I am amazed that no one has ever called Bush on his apparent misunderstanding of his office and its duties. More pointedly, he seems to have missed the point of his oath of office: He keeps telling us how he's sworn to protect us. He isn't. His oath of office obligates him to "preserve, protect and defend The Constituion of the United States of America." In that, he has failed miserably.

Blathering aside, congratulations.

···

--
Regards,

Fred Nickols
www.nickols.us
nickols@att.net
"Assistance at A Distance"

-------------- Original message ----------------------

[From Rick Marken (2005.04.07.1720)]

I happened upon this while cruising the net this afternoon. Someone at
bartcop.com copied this letter to the editor, which was written by an
incredibly prescient observer of human (and chimp) behavior. And it
was published on my birthday, 2003, about one month before the invasion
of Iraq.

"Bush said the overthrow of Hussein would help bring peace to the
Middle East. I truly hope that he is right this time. But, like the
tax cut that was supposed to improve the economy, the budget that was
not going to result in massive deficits, the lack of response to the
energy crisis that was supposedly not caused by the greed of energy
brokers, the invisible reform of executive stock-option policy that
was going to put the market back on its feet and the foreign policy
that was not going to make the United States the most disliked country
on the planet, I guess we'll find out soon enough."
   --Richard S. Marken, Letters to the Editor, latimes.com, 02/28/03

My question is whether one would have to understand PCT (as the writer
of this letter clearly does;-) to know how awful this administration
is, or whether it would just come to you naturally if you were a
normally observant and decent human being.

Best

Rick
----
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2006.04.08.1040 CDT)]

Yes, my dear friend, you had nailed just as if you had a crystal ball back then. It is amazing to me that with all the facts, all the corroborating evidence that people are so internally conflicted with principles such as waving the flag, accumulating wealth, saving life, independence, etc., that these same people would support an agenda that dishonors the flag, wastes national treasure, destroys life (and the still living), controls behavior and while doing all that, creates such a disturbance that the rest of the world hates our national agenda while trying hard to figure out how the ordinary American fits into that.

Bravo, Rick.

Speaking about immigration (no, I wasn't, but...) here is a really neat little book that suggests what happened during WW2 to about 600k *Italian* immigrants (both *native-born citizens* and non-citizens) and by example shows how seriously ridiculous the notion that we can disappear 11 million indocumentados (Latino, Irish, Polish, Russian, Chinese, etc., etc....) Here is the citation with an Amazon link:

DiStasi, Lawrence (Ed.) (2001). Una storia segreta: The secret history of Italian American evacuation and internment during World War II. Berkeley, CA: Heyday Book. ISBN: 1-890771-40-6.

Amazon: <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890771406/qid=1144510779/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-3648329-3295218?n=283155&gt;

Regards,

--Bryan

···

[Rick Marken (2005.04.07.1720)]

I happened upon this while cruising the net this afternoon. Someone at bartcop.com copied this letter to the editor, which was written by an incredibly prescient observer of human (and chimp) behavior. And it was published on my birthday, 2003, about one month before the invasion of Iraq.

"Bush said the overthrow of Hussein would help bring peace to the Middle East. I truly hope that he is right this time. But, like the tax cut that was supposed to improve the economy, the budget that was not going to result in massive deficits, the lack of response to the energy crisis that was supposedly not caused by the greed of energy brokers, the invisible reform of executive stock-option policy that was going to put the market back on its feet and the foreign policy that was not going to make the United States the most disliked country on the planet, I guess we'll find out soon enough."
   --Richard S. Marken, Letters to the Editor, latimes.com, 02/28/03

My question is whether one would have to understand PCT (as the writer of this letter clearly does;-) to know how awful this administration is, or whether it would just come to you naturally if you were a normally observant and decent human being.

Best

Rick
----
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

[From Rick Marken (2006.04.08.2020)]

Bryan Thalhammer (2006.04.08.1040 CDT)
Fred Nickols (Friday, April 7, 2006, at 06:44 PM)

Thanks for the comments, you guys.

What ticks me off even more than the Iraq fiasco (to the extent that that''s possible) is the fact that there has been absolutely no shared sacrifice expected from citizens while this war is going on. You might imagine that a president would ask citizens to contribute to this costly endeavor by paying more rather then less in taxes. But not only has this creep of a president not asked for any sacrifice, he has called for far less sacrifice from those who can afford a great deal than from those who can't. When I read this article I nearly puked.

Study: Bush tax cuts making rich richer
Report: The wealthiest Americans are reaping huge gains from reduced taxes on investment income.
April 5, 2006: 12:24 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - President Bush's tax cuts for investment income have significantly lowered the tax burden on the richest Americans, reducing taxes on incomes of more than $10 million by an average of about $500,000, according to a report Wednesday.

An analysis of Internal Revenue Service data by The New York Times found that the benefit of the lower taxes on investments was more concentrated on the very wealthiest Americans than the benefits of President Bush's two previous tax cuts.

The Times analyzed IRS figures for 2003, the latest year available and the first that reflected the tax cuts for income from dividends and from the sale of stock and other assets, known as capital gains.

According to the study, taxpayers with incomes greater than $10 million reduced their investment tax bill by an average of about $500,000 in 2003, and their total tax savings, which included the two Bush tax cuts on compensation, nearly doubled, to slightly more than $1 million.

These taxpayers, whose average income was $26 million, paid about the same share of their income in income taxes as those making $200,000 to $500,000 because of the lowered rates on investment income.

Americans with annual incomes of $1 million or more reaped 43 percent of all the savings on investment taxes in 2003. The savings for these taxpayers averaged about $41,400 each.

The newspaper's tax cut analysis showed that more than 70 percent of the tax savings on investment income went to the top 2 percent, about 2.6 million taxpayers.

And the savings from the investment tax cuts are expected to be larger in subsequent years because of gains in the stock market.
When will you be a millionaire? Click here ...

Congress is now debating whether to make the Bush tax cuts permanent.

Stephen Entin, president of the Institute for Research on the Economics of Taxation, a Washington organization, told the Times that the tax cuts did not go far enough because the more money the wealthiest had to invest, the more that would go to investments that produce jobs.

Opponents told the newspaper the cuts are too generous to those who already have plenty. Rep. Charles Rangel of New York, the senior Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee, said after seeing the new figures that "these tax cuts are beyond irresponsible" when "we're in a war; we haven't fixed Social Security or Medicare; we've got record deficits."

Notice in particular the comment by Stephen Entin, another person with a severe case of being a creep (the condition, in PCT, of having lousy reference signals) who says that the tax cuts for the rich should go even further. This, of course, is complete bull (like most everything that comes out of anyone in, related to or supportive of this administration). Even if the rich did invest their tax savings, we already know that there is _no_ empirical evidence that investment leads to economic growth. If anything, the reverse is true: when the economy starts growing, investment follows. Which makes sense: why would anyone invest in increasing supply until there was clear evidence of increasing demand? Republican economics (and Republican policy in general) is just an attempt to make greed sound good.

These fascists have been able to cut taxes on the rich and keep the economy growing by borrowing like crazy. So to make their rich friends richer (while a damn war is going on) they are mortgaging my (and my children's) future. What creeps. This is the party of values? Oh, I remember, values mean not lying about a blow job, not getting married if you're gay and not getting an abortion if you're raped by your father.

Based on the events of the last 5 years of so, I have developed a patented 2 question values test that works like a charm. Here is is:

1. Did you think President Clinton should have been impeached?

2. Do you think that President Bush should be impeached?

Here's how you score the test:

Your answers Your value score.

···

1. No. 2. Yes You have excellent values.

For those who scored low, there is still hope. My advice is to stop trying to get your values from ancient books (or Republican taking points) and start trying to experience the world from the point of view of those systems in you that set the references for your values.

Best

Rick
---
Richard S. Marken, PhD
Psychology
Loyola Marymount University
Office: 310 338-1768
Cell: 310 729 - 1400