Book launch webinar for "The Study of Living Control Systems"

A book launch webinar for “The Study of Living Control Systems” by Richard Marken will take place on Tuesday, March 16 at 10am PDT. Register at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Jinj2iScR0KaSJXregUKKw

1 Like

Congratulations on the book.

Thanks Fred. Cambridge has also set up a blog for the book here. I wrote an opening blog post. I think it’s a pretty good description of what the book (and what PCT) is about.

Best

Rick

I pre-ordered the book and am looking forward to discussion of research that cannot be done in controlled laboratory conditions, and how aspects of such work can direct and be illuminated by constrained lab work.

1 Like

I recently finished reading this excellent book in preparation for this seminar. I have purchased most books concerning PCT. I am researching the possibilities of using it to help treat individuals on the Autism Spectrum and planing a dissertation on it. In December I will finish my second Master’s Degree in Applied Behavioral Analysis in Preparation of pursuing a PsyD degree in Neuropsychology. In advice or shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I also need to figure out how to join your organization. Thank you so much.

Dear David,

Given your interest in perceptual control theory, the Board of the International Association of Perceptual Control Theory (IAPCT), formally known as the Control Systems Group (CSG), cordially invites you to become a member of our association.

The purpose of the IAPCT is to support research in perceptual control theory; use the theory to integrate diverse fields including psychology, related social science disciplines, biology, and robotics; to develop useful applications of PCT; and to disseminate the results of such work. Your formal membership will not only help to support achievement of these purposes, but you will benefit from ensured easy access to the Association’s discussions, writings, and activities including our:

Yearly Conferences, including this year’s, during 7-9 October 2021.

Online Discourse Platform, for productive discussions of matters such as:

• Fundamentals of PCT
  • Learning, teaching, and promotion of PCT
  • Practical applications of PCT to areas such as healthcare, management, education, and social policy
  • The Methods of Levels
  • PCT research in diverse fields including robotics, collective control, neurology, and language
  • The control systems group (csg) archive that we maintain of online materials from 1992 onwards
  • Resources available to members and others interested in PCT, and
  • The IAPCT itself.

Support of publications concerning PCT, such as Marken’s recent book The Study of Living Control Systems (2021), Mansell et al.’s The Interdisciplinary Handbook of Perceptual Control Theory (2020), and Johnson et al.’s, “Implementation of a Perceptual Controller for an Inverted Pendulum Robot” (2020).

Additional information about IAPCT, its history, and activities can be found by going to our website at https://www.iapct.org/.

To join, our membership fees are US$60.00 for a full Professional Membership, and US$10.00 for a Student Membership. Payment can be made by either by going to PayPal (at https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/iapct/) or by sending a check to our Treasurer, Bruce Nevin (at 101 Chase Road, Edgartown, MA 02539, USA). Whether using PayPal or check, please make sure that your name and email address are also provided to ensure that your records with us are up-to-date.

Donations to support the IAPCT are also accepted and can be made using the PayPal link mentioned above.

Thank you. We do hope that you will accept our invitation to join us as a full-fledged member of our PCT community!

With Regards,

Richard Pfau

Secretary