[Bulk] Passive Perception, Active Control of Perception

[Martin Taylor 2006.01.15.15.27]

[From Rick Marken (2006.01.25.1200)]

Martin Taylor (2006.01.24.23.26) --

Rick Marken (2006.01.24.1350)

I don't believe that cursor position is the variable controlled.

Isn't the object of your demo that the subject chooses one of the
cursors and controls its position according to any pattern (s)he sees
fit?

Oops. You're looking at the wrong demo!!

Sorry -- no wonder there was one level of misunderstanding!

The demo I was talking about is the "Nature of Control" tracking task. I suggested it to Erling as a way to get a feeling for the difference between passive perception, where you just look at the cursor while it moves, and active control of perception, where you control the perception of cursor position.

And I was thinking about his placing an envelope over the screen, not worrying about which demo he was looking at..

All this other stuff about perceptions going to zero -- actually, I still have no idea how it came up

Because you told him that the nonperception of the environmental variable was functionally the same as perceiving it to have a value of zero.

but it is completely irrelevant to the original point, which is simply that we can perceive without controlling what we perceive, and we often do, like when we watch a movie or listen to a concert. We do control for the movie or concert we attend. But once selected we don't generally control what we see or hear at these events.

I think we all agree on that, a point I thought had vanished from the discussion a while back.

>Here's the crux, very simply. You say, to paraphrase (I hope

correctly): Firing rate value non-zero indicates some value of the
perception; firing rate value zero indicates that the perception
doesn't have a value.

I said, in the bit you quoted up above: "In the absence of some
special functional organization not specified in any model I know,
this arrangement would mean that zero firing rate corresponds to a
perception of the most leftwards imaginable position."

Now you are asserting that there IS some such special functional
organization that changes the meaning of the perceptual signal when
its value is exactly zero. If its value is 10, 1, .1, .01, .001, the
thing perceived (in this case a position) is precisely that value,
but let that .001 be reduced by .001 and suddenly the thing perceived
is not that value. There's a new mechanism.

This is close to correct I would say that non-zero perceptual signals represent different _states_ of a perceptual variable (like different degrees of honesty) but that zero is a special case where you are not experiencing the perceptual variable at all -- you can't see the honesty of the statement, for example. But I see the problem you have with it and I'm not sure how to solve it. But your approach has a problem, too. If zero neural firing represents a state of the variable -- its lowest possible state -- then how to you represent the non-perception of the variable, even of it's lowest possible state?

Exactly the conundrum I have been trying to get you to see. Two different perceptions are involved.

My view of it is that "perceiving that I am unable to perceive X" is itself a perception, independent of "I perceive X to have value V", and one that could be represented by a perceptual input variable in some control system. That control system might have a reference value "I want to be able to perceive X" and might result in an action "Take the envelope away from in front of the screen," or "Buy a plane ticket to Venice."

My suggested variant on your demo (which could work with either demo, I guess), takes note of the fact that "perveiving that I am able/unable to perceive X" is not actually a binary choice, but comes in degrees: "I can perceive X very clearly and precisely", "I can see X but not very clearly", "I can just about make out that X is there", "I can't see any sign of X". Likewise, the reference value for such a perception may not be for maximum clarity and precision of seeing X. An ability to see whether X is "big" or "small" might be enough to allow some higher-level perception to reach its own reference level.

I don't believe this (in my view necessary) perceptual control mechanism fits easily into the conventional HPCT hierarchy, but neither do I think it requires any drastic alteration to incorporate the notion that some (most? all?) perceptions are two-valued, indicating {value, precision}, much as values are ofted written in scientific papers (e.g. "This artifact has a carbon date of 2350 years BP +- 85 years).

Anyway, to back off from proposals of mechanism, to me it seems clear that I personally have some perceptions of whether, and with what precision, some other perceptions represent the states of some external variables, and that I am able to act to alter the values of those perceptions of precision.

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2006.01.25.1445)]

Martin Taylor (2006.01.15.15.27)--

Rick Marken (2006.01.25.1200)

All this other stuff about perceptions going to zero -- actually, I
still have no idea how it came up

Because you told him that the nonperception of the environmental
variable was functionally the same as perceiving it to have a value
of zero.

Yes, that was in reply to either Erling or you talking about perceptions disappearing. I should have just stopped when I was ahead;-)

but it is completely irrelevant to the original point, which is
simply that we can perceive without controlling what we perceive,
and we often do, like when we watch a movie or listen to a concert.
We do control for the movie or concert we attend. But once selected
we don't generally control what we see or hear at these events.

I think we all agree on that, a point I thought had vanished from the
discussion a while back.

I'm glad we're all agreed on that. That was really the only point I cared to make.

This is close to correct I would say that non-zero perceptual
signals represent different _states_ of a perceptual variable (like
different degrees of honesty) but that zero is a special case where
you are not experiencing the perceptual variable at all...

Exactly the conundrum I have been trying to get you to see. Two
different perceptions are involved.

My view of it is that "perceiving that I am unable to perceive X" is
itself a perception, independent of "I perceive X to have value V",

I agree that "perceiving that I am unable to perceive X" is itself a perception, but I was just think of the situation where you are just not perceiving the variable at all. At the moment I'm not perceiving the cursor and taregt in a tracking task. I don't think that's a perception; it just no perception.

My suggested variant on your demo (which could work with either demo,
I guess), takes note of the fact that "perveiving that I am
able/unable to perceive X" is not actually a binary choice, but comes
in degrees

I'll have to chew on that a bit.

Anyway, to back off from proposals of mechanism, to me it seems clear
that I personally have some perceptions of whether, and with what
precision, some other perceptions represent the states of some
external variables, and that I am able to act to alter the values of
those perceptions of precision.

I wish Bill Powers would address this. It's way beyond my pay grade. It seems to me that the extent to which your perceptions represent the states of external variables is something you can never really know. I think you can know that the current state of certain perceptions (like the fuzziness of the letters you are reading) is not what you want and so you can act to change them (like by putting on glasses) but this is just good old control of perception (in this case the perception of image clarity), right? You might interpret it as getting a more precise representation of external variables, but that's just your imagination, right? As far as we know, what's out there in external reality is atoms and molecules and stuff and your not getting a better representation of those by putting on your glasses,

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken, PhD
Psychology
Loyola Marymount University
Office: 310 338-1768
Cell: 310 729 - 1400

[From Rick Marken (2006.01.25.2220)]

Martin Taylor (2006.01.25.17.54) --

Rick Marken (2006.01.25.1445)]

I agree that "perceiving that I am unable to perceive X" is itself a perception, but I was just think of the situation where you are just not perceiving the variable at all. At the moment I'm not perceiving the cursor and taregt in a tracking task. I don't think that's a perception; it just no perception.

True, but it could be a perception that you want to bring into a different state. You might "want" to perceive the cursor and target in a tracking task. If all behaviour is the control of perception, what perception would you be controlling by the actions you perform to allow you to perceive the cursor and target? Surely it would be the perception that you are/are not perceiving the cursor and target?

I would say that what I would be doing in that case is acting to make those perceptions that correspond to the cursor-target relation -- -- the neural signals that are currently zero -- become non-zero. The things I would do to get this to happen would be things like going to my demos site and clicking on the "Nature of control" text and wait for the applet to start running. Once it does start running the appropriate perceptual signals become non-zero. Then I can decide at which non-zero value -- corresponding to a reference state of the cursor-target relationship -- I want to keep the perceptual signal that corresponds to the distance between cursor and target.

I wish Bill Powers would address this. It's way beyond my pay grade.

They don't pay you enough.

Well, I certainly agree with you about that!!

I think you can know that the current state of certain perceptions (like the fuzziness of the letters you are reading) is not what you want and so you can act to change them (like by putting on glasses) but this is just good old control of perception (in this case the perception of image clarity), right?

Which level of HPCT is the perception of the clarity of a perception?

I just meant focus, as in what a lens does, which is probably a sensation level perception.

Best

Rick

ยทยทยท

---
Richard S. Marken Consulting
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400