Chapter 2 - Future Cause Current Effect

[Fred Nickols (01.10.2016.1538)]

In Chapter 2 of their book, Rick and Tim, indicate that psychologists rejected or dismissed purposive behavior because cause had to precede effect and a goal was in the future, hence could not be the cause of current behavior.

That seems a bit far-fetched to me. Granted, a goal not yet achieved is in the future but the goal as envisioned, imagined, anticipated or desired is in the present. I don’t see how psychologists could reject an envisioned or desired future state as being in the future; it is every bit as much in the here and now as we are.

Can someone clarify this for me?

P.S. Sorry I left the date-time stamp off my earlier post.

Regards,

Fred Nickols, CPT

Solution Engineer

DISTANCE CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance”

Be sure you measure what you want.

Be sure you want what you measure.

[From Rick Marken (2016.01.10.1420)]

···

Fred Nickols (01.10.2016.1538)–

Â

FN: In Chapter 2 of their book, Rick and Tim, indicate that psychologists rejected or dismissed purposive behavior because cause had to precede effect and a goal was in the future, hence could not be the cause of current behavior.

Â

FN: That seems a bit far-fetched to me. Granted, a goal not yet achieved is in the future but the goal as envisioned, imagined, anticipated or desired is in the present. I don’t see how psychologists could reject an envisioned or desired future state as being in the future; it is every bit as much in the here and now as we are.

RM: Some psychologists (Tolman comes to mind) did accept the idea of a present specification for a future goal state (Tolman called it a “sign stimulus” I believe). But then the problem was how did this present specification know how to cause just the right actions that resulted in the specified future goal state. The modern version of this “cause-effect” approach to explaining purposeful behavior is seen in “attractor” or “mass-spring” models of purpose. These models of purpose make the same mistake that James pointed to much earlier in his parable of “Romeo/Juliet versus the iron filings/magnet” – they take non-purposeful, cause-effect behavior for purposeful behavior. I think we point this out in the book. But we didn’t want to get too wrapped up in this cause-effect thing. The fact is that psychologists rejected the existence of real purposeful behavior because it seemed to be inconsistent with the law of cause and effect – and it is inconsistent with the law of “lineal” cause and effect but it is quite consistent with the law of closed-loop cause and effect, which we explain in the next chapter.Â

Best

Rick

Â

P.S. Sorry I left the date-time stamp off my earlier post.

Â

Regards,

Â

Fred Nickols, CPT

Solution Engineer

DISTANCE CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance�

Be sure you measure what you want.

Be sure you want what you measure.

Â

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Author, with Timothy A. Carey, of  Controlling People: The Paradoxical Nature of Being Human

[From Bruce Abbott (2016.01.10.2020 EST)]

In Chapter 2 of their book, Rick and Tim, indicate that psychologists rejected or dismissed purposive behavior because cause had to precede effect and a goal was in the future, hence could not be the cause of current behavior.

That seems a bit far-fetched to me. Granted, a goal not yet achieved is in the future but the goal as envisioned, imagined, anticipated or desired is in the present. I don’t see how psychologists could reject an envisioned or desired future state as being in the future; it is every bit as much in the here and now as we are.

The problem may derive from Aristotle’s analysis of “causes.” The two of relevance here (of the four he identified) are “efficient” causation, or what we think of as ordinary cause and effect (or “mechanical causation”) in which causes always precede their effects, and “final” causation, in which a characteristic exists to serve a function, e.g., birds have wings in order to fly. Philosophers took Aristotle to mean by this that the effect (ability to fly) somehow brings about its own cause (the presence of wings and other structures required for flight). This philosophical idea is called “teleology.”

I believe that this interpretation of Aristotle’s meaning is incorrect. In my view, Aristotle used final “causation” to denote the observation, for example, that the wings of a bird (together with other structures) are what give the bird its capacity to fly – that it is their existence in the bird that makes flight possible. I don’t think Aristotle believed that the future capacity to fly somehow acted back in time to bring about those flight-necessary structures, but that is exactly how later philosophers understood him.

As the sciences developed, teleology as philosophers understood it was rejected as unscientific on the grounds that effects cannot precede their causes. Behavior must be caused by prior events, not by a future goal. So the search was on for “efficient” causes of behavior that would explain “purpose” or “intention” as only apparent examples of teleology in terms of ordinary forward cause and effect.

Today there is still controversy with biology about the usefulness of functional (teleological) explanations. Some argue that function or purpose are useful concepts that help to explain why some organ or system has the structure it has. Knowing that the heart is a pump helps us to understand the organization of its physical properties. Others argue that the organism and its systems can be understood perfectly well in terms of ordinary mechanical causation among its parts and that a functional analysis doesn’t add anything to that.

The problem of how an organism’s systems developed so as to apparently serve particular functions was solved by Darwin with his proposal of evolution by variation and natural selection. No teleological force was necessary to cause the organism’s structures, such as wings or heart, to develop in such a way as to serve a future purpose. Blind variation and selective retention would do the job while conforming to ordinary cause and effect. (Interestingly, Aristotle came within a hair’s breadth of scooping Darwin by 2000 years, but did not take the final step because he was unaware that organisms evolve, and thus had no need to explain evolution!) Thorndike’s Law of Effect offers a similar explanation for the “evolution” of behaviors that are functional in the sense of achieving a purpose or goal, as when his cat-in-a-puzzlebox learned to operate a door-latch and thereby free itself from the confines of the puzzlebox. Skinner’s “selection by consequences” expresses the same idea.

In conclusion, I think that the short answer to your question is as follows. Many scientists mistakenly saw intentions or goals as teleological explanations for behavior and rejected them in favor of discovering efficient causal mechanisms that would produce the appearance of intentions or goal-directness. Only a few realized that closing the loop provides a perfectly respectable account (i.e., in terms of efficient causation) of intentions and goals, courtesy of the apparent magic of circular causation.

Bruce

[From Adam Matic 2016.01.11]

To add to Bruce and Rick’s posts, there are some criticisms of the idea of purposive behavior in behaviorists writings. For example, B.F. Skinner in Behavior of Organisms (1938) writes about ‘drives’ as apparent goal-directed behaviors (p 376):

“A drive is not a teleological force nor does the stimulus which acts as an appropriate reinforcement exert an effect before it has occurred.”

In defense of behaviorists, they did good to reject and dismiss such vague notions of behavior that involve time travel. Before control theory and cybernetics, most proponents of purposive behavior were anti-scientific, claiming that the soul cannot be studied by science, that the mind is not mechanical, that life as a phenomenon relies of a special supernatural forces, elan vital and so on.Â

Unfortunately, behaviorists threw out the baby with the bathwater, claiming that there is nothing inherently different in goal-directed behavior from behavior of action-reaction physical systems. Some other branches of life sciences, like ethology, were more open to ides of purposes, drives, instincts. But they predominantly did observational studies in nature, not experiments in labs like behaviorists.Â

···

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 2:20 AM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

[From Bruce Abbott (2016.01.10.2020 EST)]

Â

Â

Â

That seems a bit far-fetched to me. Granted, a goal not yet achieved is in the future but the goal as envisioned, imagined, anticipated or desired is in the present. I don’t see how psychologists could reject an envisioned or desired future state as being in the future; it is every bit as much in the here and now as we are.

Â

Â

The problem may derive from Aristotle’s analysis of “causes.�  The two of relevance here (of the four he identified) are “efficient� causation, or what we think of as ordinary cause and effect (or “mechanical causation�) in which causes always precede their effects, and “final� causation, in which a characteristic exists to serve a function, e.g., birds have wings in order to fly. Philosophers took Aristotle to mean by this that the effect (ability to fly) somehow brings about its own cause (the presence of wings and other structures required for flight). This philosophical idea is called “teleology.�

I believe that this interpretation of Aristotle’s meaning is incorrect. In my view, Aristotle used final “causationâ€? to denote the observation, for example, that the wings of a bird (together with other structures) are what give the bird its capacity to fly – that it is their existence in the bird that makes flight possible. I don’t think Aristotle believed that the future capacity to fly somehow acted back in time to bring about those flight-necessary structures, but that is exactly how later philosophers understood him.

Â

As the sciences developed, teleology as philosophers understood it was rejected as unscientific on the grounds that effects cannot precede their causes. Behavior must be caused by prior events, not by a future goal. So the search was on for “efficient� causes of behavior that would explain “purpose� or “intention� as only apparent examples of teleology in terms of ordinary forward cause and effect.

Â

Today there is still controversy with biology about the usefulness of functional (teleological) explanations. Some argue that function or purpose are useful concepts that help to explain why some organ or system has the structure it has. Knowing that the heart is a pump helps us to understand the organization of its physical properties. Others argue that the organism and its systems can be understood perfectly well in terms of ordinary mechanical causation among its parts and that a functional analysis doesn’t add anything to that.

Â

The problem of how an organism’s systems developed so as to apparently serve particular functions was solved by Darwin with his proposal of evolution by variation and natural selection. No teleological force was necessary to cause the organism’s structures, such as wings or heart, to develop in such a way as to serve a future purpose. Blind variation and selective retention would do the job while conforming to ordinary cause and effect. (Interestingly, Aristotle came within a hair’s breadth of scooping Darwin by 2000 years, but did not take the final step because he was unaware that organisms evolve, and thus had no need to explain evolution!) Thorndike’s Law of Effect offers a similar explanation for the “evolution� of behaviors that are functional in the sense of achieving a purpose or goal, as when his cat-in-a-puzzlebox learned to operate a door-latch and thereby free itself from the confines of the puzzlebox. Skinner’s “selection by consequences� expresses the same idea.

Â

In conclusion, I think that the short answer to your question is as follows. Many scientists  mistakenly saw intentions or goals as teleological explanations for behavior and rejected them in favor of discovering efficient causal mechanisms that would produce the appearance of intentions or goal-directness. Only a few realized that closing the loop provides a perfectly respectable account (i.e., in terms of efficient causation) of intentions and goals, courtesy of the apparent magic of circular causation.

Â

Bruce

Â