Classical Control Systems Lectures

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.25.1315)]

Attractors.jpg

···

Fred Nickols (2013.12.24.0828 EST)

FN: I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Boris. Rick is probably as close to being the crown prince of PCT as anyone but he’s far from infallible.

RM: I’ll think about this when I’m at the movies today and try to figure out if I should feel complimented or offended;-) But I want it to be clear that I will only accept the Crown Prince title if it comes along with a very large stipend;-)

FN: The CSG archives are full of instances wherein Bill corrected Rick’s thinking.

RM: Yes, and it happened many times outside of CSG conversations as well. But I can remember at least once when I corrected Bill (I can’t remember what it was about now but I do remember that I was when we were visiting my sister iin laws at Xmas at her house nested in the gorgeous redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mtns. It must have been back in the mid 1990s.

FN: Sadly, without Bill, there’s no one to do that anymore.

RM: While it’s true that no one can replace Bill, I think everyone as a right to “do that” – ie. correct me or anyone else – when they think there is an error. I think some things will just be bones of contention no matter what because there is really no way to solve them to any one’s satisfaction. But factual errors – errors that can be “objectively” tested – can be corrected. These are the kinds of errors that I remember Bill “correcting” for me – and that I accepted. And there were errors I made that I corrected on my own by demonstrating things to myself using modeling and testing. For example, I remember getting in a big fight with Bruce Abbott (as usual) saying that people really could not be controlled because (by disturbing a controlled variable) because their reference for the state of the controlled variable could change autonomously. I said that based on intuition but when I tested it it turns out that I was dead wrong; you can control another person’s behavior by disturbing a variable they are controlling even if their reference for the state of that variable is changing randomly. I confessed my error to Bruce and put the demonstration up at my wed site( http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Coercion.html).

FN: So, Rick will doubtless put forth PCT as he sees it.

RM: What else could I put forth? What else could anyone put forth. My only hope is that I (or others) catch me when I get of track; that I am always open to correction (hard to do but I try) and hope that others are as willing to be corrected.

RM: But if he errs he won’t go unchallenged, just uncorrected.

FN: I hope you are wrong about that. I hope there are people who will not only challenge me but who are capable to providing useful correction. All we’ve got is each other, after all.

FN: And that’s okay; his grasp of PCT is probably as good as any others out there, just slightly different in some ways, as attested to by the occasional disputes and discussions between he and other equally savvy PCTers.

RM: Hopefully these differences, to the extent that they are differences that make a difference (and I think many are) can be ironed out through modeling and test. That’s my “faith” anyway. Bill was exceptionally brilliant but I know that he never wanted PCT to be about him. He didn’t want to be the guru, which meant he didn’t want his pronouncements to be taken as gospel. Bill was staring a new science – just as Newton was starting a new scsience – and he should be celebrated for that. But now we have to carry on the science, build it up and do it. And we have to do it without Bill to “correct” us (and he was not always correct, just as Newton was not always correct). Science is a human endeavor and human endeavors often involve conflict; but in science I would hope that these conflicts can ultimately be resolved, not by going to sacred texts and saying but via modeling and experimental test.

FN: So relax and have a happy holiday season. The new year should keep us all busy.

RM: Yes,let’s have a nice, scientific New Year. And many more after that.

Best regards

Crown Prince Rick

Fred Nickols

Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:42 AM

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: Re: Classical Control Systems Lectures

Well Rick, I must admitt I am worried…where this “PCT boat” is goimg…

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.22.1110)]

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

HB:

TO PUT IT EXACTLY IN PCT SENSE, CONTROL IS : “Achievement and maintanance of a preselected perceptual state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances” (B:CP, 2005).

RM:

Yes, that’s a good one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely theory free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with this definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of control was to include the important new assumptions of what has come to be called PCT. I don’t think it was until many years after the publication of B:CP that he actively promoted the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of itsef – an objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is explained by the theory of control: control theory.

HB :

I’m wondering if you become an “officiall interpreter” of Bill’s knowledge ? J. I thought you are just moderating. And from one subtitle you concluded that “control” is “objective” fact.

The “fact” in subtitle could also mean that there are so many evidence and models that we can conclude the generality of control in living beings. If you think that Bill showed for “objectivity” in external environment, you’ll with no doubt find some evidence in the book LCS III and show me that you are right.

It seems to me, that you are trying to reduce PCT to some special case of PCT. But in this way PCT will fall apart like “castle from cards”. Beleive me. Bill was smart guy, knowing what he was doing, and why he wrote definitions as they are. He kept generality of PCT model. And you are not. Control units can be used in many ways, not just for “protecting” the “controlled” variable from disturbances. Think of it.

Control “being a fact” is by my oppinion also contradiciting your previous statement that “control” is phenomenon, so it’s by my research in vocabulary, entirely dependent from perception. And perception can never be “objective”. Maybe you had in mind some other meaning of “phenomenon”.

There is no “objective fact” on itself, because you have to prove that you somehow directly access to “reality” (outer environment) and know it in every detail. But still humans are knowing about “reality” only through their perception (some transformations) of “reality”. And perception is not only limited, but it’s also just partly presenting the “reality” or outside environment (as much input functions you have) and input gain. Mostly enough for good control, but sometimes is not enough. Accidents happens.

And more perceptions of the same “reality” more “objective fact”. “Reality” is never mirrored into your consciousnes to be “objective”. Whatever you are perceiving is just a “model”, “perceptual construction”, “abstract system”, whatever you call that what you perceive.

RM :
I think the definition above can be “objectified:” a bit by changing “perceptual state in a controlling system” to “variable”. The idea that it is a perceptual variable that is controlled is really part of the theory – a very important part of the theory but part of the theory nevertheless.

HB :

“Objectifying” Bill’s definition with “variable” is not good idea. As I said before. I’m pretty sure that Bill knew what he was doing. But I’m not sure that you do. I think that’s why his definitions and generic diagram survived so much time, and I beleive it will survive much more time in future, if you will not change or modify it. Putting the controlled “variable” into Bill’s definition and consequently into “functional” diagram could by my oppinion destroy it’s generality. It could be meant as just one special case of PCT.

RM :
But one can observe control without making any assumptions about how control works. We can do this by observing a variable, such as the distance between cursor and target in a tracking task, and noting that disturbances have little or none of their expected effect on this variable and that this is because the effects of these disturbances are being cancelled by observed actions (mouse movements).

HB :

I thought that you are “protecting” the “controlled” variable form distrubances not canceling the effects of disturbances.

Why did you use term cancel instead of term “protecting”, if they have the same meaning by your oppinion ? And sorry I didn’t get it, which is “controlled” variable in this case that you are “protecting” it from disturbances ?

RM :

So control is happening because we are seeing the:

“Achievement and maintenance of a variable in a particular state through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances”.

HB :

So you are also “officialy” promoted to change Bill’s definitions. To me it’s obviously that you shouldn’t do that. Now as you changed definition, you’ll have to change also his generic diagram and put the “controlled variable” into outer environment. Well I’m wondering, are you going to change whole his theory? Into what, RCT ?

RM :

I also got rid of the term “pre-selected” because this also makes theoretical assumptions about what is going on inside the system doing the controlling.

HB :

You got rid of Bill’s term in his definition (???). I’m really wondering who authorised you to do that ?

RM :

Of course the “variable” referred to in the above definition is a perception but then everything is a perception so it’s really unnecessary to mention it.

HB :

Better. Nothing is “objective”. All is just perception. Variables are just perceptual characteristics. But in your case I see it necesary to mention it, as you are mixing “objective facts” with perceived states of variables.

And I’m asking you once again that you use sysmbols HB not BH. As I will thought that you are reffering to Bob Hintz.

BH: So as I see it, control is initially not “protecting” act but cancelling act of output which compensate effects of disturbances so to maintain perceptual stability (some preselected perceptual state) in the controlling system.

RM: That’s fine. The verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that actually makes control work.

HB :

Well, I’m glad that you are satisfied with my verbal descriptions. But I still think that verbal description are mostly closely related to “functional models” in our heads. And I’m pretty interested if you can show me your "functional« model (not adapted Bill’s), that will show how control unit is “protecting” controlled variable in outer environment. I’d just like to see how much your verbal description is not important to you and how “actualy makes control work”.

RM :

I think that control can be correctly described as involving “cancelling” the effect of disturbances or “protecting” a controlled variable from the effects of disturbance. But if “protecting” doesn’t work for you then feel free not to use it.

HB:

This one is very »foggy« and »slippy« conclusion. I think that you shouldn’t use this “equatation”, specially not in Bill’s defintions. But I think you could use it in some of your theories.

But to test rightness of your “equality”, I’d be glad if you show us how examples about PCT that Bill used with his favourite terms work. So please show us how you would verbalize his examples with term “protection”. Maybe something like this :

1. driving control (“protection” of speed and position on the road),
  2. tracking experiment (“protection” of position of cursor)….
  1. maybe you’ll remember some more.

As always maybe I misunderstood something…sorry…

Best

Boris

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:12 PM

BH: TO PUT IT EXACTLY IN PCT SENSE, CONTROL IS : “Achievement and maintanance of a preselected perceptual state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances” (B:CP, 2005).

RM: Yes, that’s a good one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely theory free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with this definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of control was to include the important new assumptions of what has come to be called PCT. I don’t think it was until many years after the publication of B:CP that he actively promoted the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of itsef – an objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is explained by the theory of control: control theory.

I think the definition above can be “objectified:” a bit by changing “perceptual state in a controlling system” to “variable”. The idea that it is a perceptual variable that is controlled is really part of the theory – a very important part of the theory but part of the theory nevertheless.

But one can observe control without making any assumptions about how control works. We can do this by observing a variable, such as the distance between cursor and target in a tracking task, and noting that disturbances have little or none of their expected effect on this variable and that this is because the effects of these disturbances are being cancelled by observed actions (mouse movements). So control is happening because we are seeing the:

“Achievement and maintenance of a variable in a particular state through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances”.

I also got rid of the term “pre-selected” because this also makes theoretical assumptions about what is going on inside the system doing the controlling. Of course the “variable” referred to in the above definition is a perception but then everything is a perception so it’s really unnecessary to mention it.

BH: So as I see it, control is initially not “protecting” act but cancelling act of output which compensate effects of disturbances so to maintain perceptual stability (some preselected perceptual state) in the controlling system.

RM: That’s fine. The verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that actually makes control work. I think that control can be correctly described as involving “cancelling” the effect of disturbances or “protecting” a controlled variable from the effects of disturbance. But if “protecting” doesn’t work for you then feel free not to use it.

Best

Rick

This could mean that “controlled variable” is already affected and new state perceived and controlled in comparator and act of canceling the effect or compensating the efect of disturbances realized.

To use term “protect” is something that means for me to act in advance, so to “prevent” some “controlled variable” or better predefined state of controlling system, from being disturbed, displaced, affected…etc.

Term “protecting” is probably kind of control but not in initial sense. By my oppinion is one of consequences of “pure” PCT control, which is by definition used with terms canceling, compensating, etc…

Something similar was Ashby’s “control” definition : “Every stable system has the property that if displaced from a state of equilibrium and released, the subsequent movement is so matched to the initial displacement that the system is brought back to the state of equilibrium” (Ashby, 1960).

I think that Ashby used “compensation” for description of “control”. And it seems to me that he used terms to describe actual “displacement” and actual “compensation” not something happening in advance.

He tried to give also definitions of dynamic system, variable and system, specifications of behaviour, “stability”, “equilibrium”, “steady-state”, and so on, as I think that Bill used some of this terms in Appendix to the book B:CP, 2005.

So the main point I see, is that whatever “controlled variable” is meant, is first “moved” (perceived displacement) from the predefined, initial state (reference state, equilibirum…) and than by canceling or compensating or opposing effects of action or whatever we call that (maybe behavior), again brought back to predefined, initial state (reference, equilibrium, whatever…).

If we say that “controlled variable” is protected than you probably assume that “controlled variable” was not disturbed yet, as disturbances has already been cancelled, compensated by control system in advance. But that can never happen if control system “has no experiences” with “moving controlled variable” from initial state with certain disturbances. How else could control system “choose” disturbances to act on, so to protect “controlled variable” from being affected if control system doesn’t know what kind of effect distrubances have on “controlled variable” and system itself.

I think that the selection of disturbances that could have effect on controlled variable, are those which in the past show tendency to “displace controlled variable” from initial state. So when control system has that “experience” than it can probably reorganize so to “protect” it from disturbances. But by my oppinion it has to be complex control system, build up with many control units, what could happen through evolution.

In such a complex organized control systems (more organized control units), certain control units serve the goal to really “prevent” or “protect” certain “controlled variable” from being disturbed, displaced or “moved” from initial state like in some physiological cases.

So I think it’s better to use initial terms when making defintion about control in PCT sense such as cancelling, compensating activity not “protecting” activity.

Your “exclusive” statement about Gordon…. :

RM : “Well, Mr. Douglas is now off my list of people to listen to about control theory. This lecture was awful”.

…has no sense to me.

By my oppinion Douglas tried methodically to show how control in different dynamic system works. And by my opinion his retorics and pictures about control is better then yours about “protecting controlled variables”. But both are insufficient (as probably mine is), but that doesn’t mean that we have to stop talking about your and his presentation of control, because they are “awfull”. I think that both are good as the bases to improve them, so they would show better how control theory works.

Rick, you are doing a good job, moderating on CSGnet. But nobody said that you couldn’t be better J

I can’t comment other discussions for the time being as I didn’t read them. Maybe I missed something important. I also didn’t entirely follow the discussion about B:CP (2005) so I’m interested if you make any comments about Appendix in the book. There are some interesting clarifications of terms control, stability…

Best,

Boris

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:38 AM

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.20.1740)]

Martin Taylor (2013.12.20.11.47)–

RM: Stability and control are two different phenomena, something that it is now clear to me that Mr. Douglas is completely unaware of. These two different phenomena are produced by two different kinds of systems; stability is a kind of behavior exhibited by certain “open-loop” or what I call “causal” systems.

I still haven’t looked at the videos, but it strikes me that you are doing the old philosophers’ trick of taking a word that has a variety of meanings, and using a meaning appropriate in one context as though that were the meaning appropriate to a different context. Yes, “stability” and “control” are indeed different phenomena, in the same way “food” and “vegetable” are different concepts.

RM: No,“stability” and “control”, as described by Douglas in the very first control lecture, are different phenomena in the way “food” and “poison” are different. A stable system (according to the lecture) is one that returns to its original (“equilibrium”) state after a transient disturbance; a control system is is one that remains in a reference state during continuous disturbance. Douglas should have talked about variables rather than systems but you get the idea.

MT: All feedback loops, in fact all dynamical systems, whether control systems or not, have stability criteria. Either they are stable or not. Some are more stable than others.

RM: Yes, they do. Indeed, I measure control in terms of stability (observed/expected variance of the variable). In this case “stability” is simply referring to a measure of the observed variations in a variable and it can be used to measure the variability of a controlled variable or an uncontrolled variable (like the variable position of the ball in the bowl that Douglas refers to as a stable system).

MT: Some are metastable, meaning they will maintain their current values until something momentarily disturbs one of their signal values. Some of those will continue to diverge from the original metastable value after the disturbance, some will just maintain the disturbed set of signal values without further change. Some are absolutely stable, meaning that after any kind of momentary disturbance they will return their values to their original levels. Most real systems don’t do that, and are stable only if the momentary disturbance doesn’t exceed some limit.

The key concept is the “orbit”. All systems that can be described by a vector of variables have a state. Their state is the vector of current variable values together with the rates of change of the current variables. That includes control systems, ball-in-a-bowl systems, the synapse strengths of networks of millions of neurons, etc. etc. If the system is at some location in the state space and is not further disturbed from outside, it will follow some track through the state space. That track is an orbit, and there is only one orbit through any point in the state space.

A stable system is one for which the orbit will converge to some track that is the same for all the initial locations in the state space. That track is called an “attractor”. The attractor may be a fixed point, a closed path (which represents a stable oscillator) or a “strange attractor” (which I won’t explain now). An unstable system is one for which the orbits diverge. Here are a couple of examples of attractors, or at least the projections of them into two dimensions, because even in 2-D, the orbit is actually in a space of four dimensions, two for location and two for velocity. I have omitted the velocity coordinates in these examples, and in the fixed-point example it is the velocity that distinguishes the orbits where two of them cross in the figure. In the 4-D state space, only one orbit passes through any particular point.

RM: All of this simply describes the observed behavior of a variable. Nothing about the shape of these orbits can tell you whether the variable is controlled or not.

MT: A control system is one for which the attractor converges in at least one dimension (the perception-value dimension), but that’s not the main criterion for differentiating the “ball-in-the-bowl” from a trivial control loop.

RM: That’s not only is not a “main” criterion; it’s not a criterion at all. The only criterion for distinguishing the “ball-in-the-bowl” from a controlled ball in the bowl is the criterion John Kirkland just mentioned: The criterion of The Test for the Controlled Variable, which is whether there is less of an effect of a disturbance on the controlled variable than expected. You simply cannot tell, by looking at just the observed behavior of the “ball-in-the-bowl” (like the “fixed point” and “stable oscillator” orbits pictured above) whether you are observing the behavior of a controlled or uncontrolled variable. The orbits plotted above could be the behavior of a controlled or uncontrolled ball. This is exactly analogous to the situation in my mindreading demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html). When you move one avatar around the screen in a controlled manner, the other two move as well; you can’t tell from the movements (orbits) of the avatars, which is controlled and which are not. In order to determine control you have to disturb the position of the avatars and see which avatar is affected least by the disturbance.

MT: Bruce Abbott put his finger on it when he pointed out that the ball-in-the-bowl uses the energy supplied by the disturbance to return the ball to its fixed point, whereas the control loop uses an independent energy supply to oppose the effect of the disturbance on one (and only one) of the variables in the state space of the loop. The manner in which control is established is irrelevant.

RM: This is a description of models that produce the observed behaviors: the open loop physics model for the “ball-in-the-bowl”; closed-loop control for the controlled ball. The manner in which control is established may be irrelevant (I have no idea what that means actually; the only way I know of to establish that control is happening is by using the Test) but one has to have established that control is going on in one case and that it’s not going on in the other in order to apply the correct explanations (models) to each case.

MT: It so happens that the PCT definition of control is the maintenance of one particular value among the many different signal values in a negative feedback loop, so Rick’s comment “Control is produced only by negative feedback control systems” is a tautology.

RM: Actually, that’s not the PCT definition of control. The definition of control is “maintenance of a variable in a pre-selected state, protected from disturbance”. A negative feedback loop is a model of how control works. It’s not a tautology.

MT: Control is produced only by negative feedback control systems. So I couldn’t disagree with you more when you say “we need to be sure that stability and control are not seen as belonging to different kinds of systems”. In fact, we need to be VERY sure that we understand that stability and control “belong” to two very different systems: open-loop, causal systems for the former and closed loop negative feedback systems for the latter. [MT: “you” here is Bruce Abbott.]

RM: So let me get this straight. Are you saying that the “stability” of the behavior of the “ball-in-the-bowl” is the same as the “stability” of the behavior of, say, the water level in Ktesibios’ water clock?

Best

Rick

To which I can only say that there are several applicable proverbs along the lines that one is better advised to listen and learn rather than to guess and pontificate. Bruce is quite right to say “we need to be sure that stability and control are not seen as belonging to different kinds of systems”. To contradict Bruce is to say something as nonsensical as “we need to be sure that leafiness and trees are not seen as belonging to different kinds of objects”. “Stability” applies to all kinds of dynamical systems, which control systems are.

Martin

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation.
– Bertrand Russell

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date: 12/20/13

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date: 12/20/13

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

– Bertrand Russell

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6941 - Release Date: 12/22/13

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
– Bertrand Russell

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.25.1140)]

RM: How the behavior comes about is a theoretical question. The prior
question must be "what kind of behavior is it --control or
non-control",

BH :What do you mean by this Rick ?

RM: What I mean is that the behavior called "control" is a fact; an observable phenomenon.

HB : Your terminology is so "changing" and unreliable, that it's really hard to talk with you. How you make PhD-es in USA ? Control can be whether a fact or observable phenomenon. It can be both at a time. And no behavior can be called control as there is no "control of behavior". There is just control of perception.

RM :

Control is happening when a variable (the possible "disturbance") that should have an effect on another variable (the possible "controlled variable") is observed to have far less of an effect than expected based on a physical analysis of the situation.

HB :

First of all, Control is happening when perception is controlled. We've already discused about "definition of control". And here we go again. Bill was talking about "controlled perception of aspect of environment", and he knew why. But you don't.

RM :

The behavior of most physical systems -- inanimate systems such as pendulums and balls in bowls -- does not involve control; the behavior of living systems seems to always involve control. Once one has determined that control is occurring then the next step is to try to explain it. The explanation of control is a theory and so far the best theoretical explanation of control is control theory applied properly to living systems in the form of PCT.

HB:

So what you say about Corlis engine and thermostat. They are inanimate system ?

BH: Bill's definition of ANY BEHAVIOR : The purpose of any given behavior is to
prevent controlled perception from changing away from the reference
condition.

RM: I would say that is a claim (or hypothesis) about the behavior of living systems (not non-living system); it is not a definition. Whether or not any behavior (of a living or non-living system) involves control is an empirical question which can be answered by test (the TCV), not by definition or theory.

HB :

Whether it's a claim or not, whether is model behind or not, that's Bill's oppinion about any behavior. It says that "purpose of any given behavior is to prevent controlled perception…". I will not repeat it any more… And model ussualy contain also many empirical knowledge. And I will guess about Bill's theoretical knowledge that was ground for his empirical knowledge of control (as an engineer) and back, and there was also Ashby's knowledge involved, which is full of experiments and some anatomy and physiology knowledge, which is full of experimental "facts" about human organism. Well it would be better if somebody that knew him, explain how wide his knowledge was. I can just imagine that.

Doctors all over the world save people lives and help stabilize their organisms on basis of physioogical and other medical theoretical and emprical knowledge. It is also contained in Bill's knowledge to a certain degree, So the model on the basis of so wide knowledge (experimental and theoretical) is by my oppinion 100 x and more bigger than yours and can be the basis for the model like that on page 191, B:CP, 2005. There are needed some modifications with more knowledge. And model based on all these knowledge says that "purpose of any behavior…etc.".

If you would know a little more physiology and have knowledge of some other sciences about nervous system you could find out about how behavior (effectors activity) evolve. You would see that from genetic source and "intrinsic reference signal" as the beginning of the control process in PCT, every behavior (effector activity) involves control. Whether it is succesfull or not, that is another question. But any behavior involves control if you have right model with a lot different knowledge in background.

Whether or not ..behavior of living control system and some non living system involves control of perception is theoretical and empirical question. How could you work empirically without Bill's theoretical knowledge and his theoretical model ?

TCV you say is the "Test for controlled variable". There is no "controlled variable", there is just a perception of some aspects of environment (Bill's oppinion) as perception is limited and narrowed "picture" of outer world and can't be "objectifyed". And the variable is just aspect of perception.

It's you imagination how outer world is partialized. You are "choping" outer world to variables, and you are not the only one. It's just one of methods of observing the outer world. You could observe it also as a "gods" kingdom as it wouldn't be any worse or better than observing it wirh variables. You would still survive. I saw this method with "variables" first conceptualized in Ashby's book. Maybe you could show me any earlier source.

And as we are talking about PCT you should call TCV as "Test for the controlled perception" so TCP.

BH: Any categorization of behaviors on controlled and uncontrolled
has some subjective criteria, not objective.

RM: I would say that the TCV is an objective basis for categorizing behavior as controlled or uncontrolled. The fact that the TCV can be done automatically, by a computer program -- as is the case in my Mind Reading demo (<http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html&gt;http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html\) -- is my basis for calling the TCV an objective means of discriminating control from non-control behavior.

HB : Well Rick we both know that behavior can't be "controlled" and "uncontolled". Only perception can be controlled in PCT. But in RCT also behavior can be controlled as in classical psychology. You got me. J But that is your theory as you already said very promising : "is my basis for calling …". It is indeed your basis…So let it stay that way.

BH: The problem I see here is not the use of the "test for the controlled
variable", but the "test for which perception is controlled".
People usually try to "read" the purpose of other people in everyday
relationship or in war situation, or in sport (for example boxing, karate,
basketball, football.). You really think that they are using the TCV in your
scientific sense to determine the purpose of other people ?

RM: I'm sure they are not. The TCV is a formal tool that can be used (at least in principle) to make quantitatively precise identifications of the perceptual variables that are being controlled when we observe any particular example of controlling (such as intercepting objects or moving or keeping a cursor on target).

HB : I don't say that TCV is not usefull tool. You can use it if it helps you in your thinking. But don't call it the only tool in PCT for determining the "controlled variable". There is no "controlled variable" in Bill's generic functional diagram on which your empirical knowledge is based upon.

Best

Boris

···

Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 8:40 PM

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Boris Hartman <<mailto:boris.hartman@masicom.net>boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

--

Richard S. Marken PhD
<http://www.mindreadings.com>www.mindreadings.com

-- Bertrand Russell

Checked by AVG - <http://www.avg.com>www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6948 - Release Date: 12/24/13

Hi Rick,

It’s a relef J

Attractors.jpg

···

Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013
9:37 PM
Subject: Re: Classical Control
Systems Lectures

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.25.1240)]

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

HB: Well Rick, I
must admitt I am worried…where this “PCT boat” is goimg…

RM: You really never know with science. But wherever we are going we’re
doing it with the best navigation tools available (models) and with our eyes
wide open (experimental test). Well, some of us are, anyway.

HB : “Navigation tools” are
indeed available but you shouldn’t be sure that you can find everything only on
one place. There is incredibly large number of models and empirical knowledge
about organisms (Living Control Systems), which can be properly used, strong
scientific tool. I always thought that people shouldn’t be looking only in “one
dimension”.

HB: I’m
wondering if you become an “officiall interpreter” of Bill’s
knowledge ?

RM: Nope. Completely unofficial.

HB :

It’s a total relief. I thought that “PCT
boat” is sinking. Now I see that there is some chance to cheerly sail into
the bright future J

HB. I thought you
are just moderating.

RM: No, just contributing. This is an un-moderated list.

HB : Another great releif. J

HB: And from one
subtitle you concluded that “control” is “objective” fact.

RM: My conclusion that control is a fact is based on my own thinking.

HB : I like your way of thinking. J

I wrote a paper on the topic some time ago; it’s the first paper in my
“Mind Readings” book; it’s called “The Nature of Behavior:
Control as Fact and Theory”. I think Bill liked the idea (of
distinguishing control as fact from control as theory) and that’s why he
eventually incorporated the “fact of control” idea into the subtitle
of his book. Seeing control as a fact (rather than as just a theory) is really
one of the most important contributions Bill Powers made to our understanding of living
systems: living systems control; that’s the fact, Jack.

HB: Control “being a fact” is by my oppinion also
contradiciting your previous statement that “control” is phenomenon,
so it’s by my research in vocabulary, entirely dependent from perception. And
perception can never be “objective”. Maybe you had in mind some other
meaning of “phenomenon”.

RM: All facts are perceptions. So in that sense all facts are
subjective. When I say that control is an objective phenomenon what I mean is
that there are procedures (called the TCV) that can be used by anyone to
demonstrate the fact (perception or phenomenon) of control to themselves.
Control is an objective fact in the same way linear acceleration is an
objective fact. The phenomenon of linear acceleration is a perception – a
rather complex perception but still a perception – that anyone can demonstrate
to themselves by carrying out the procedures Galileo used (rolling a ball down
an inclined plane and measuring the time it takes to get from one equally
spaced point to another as it descends) to demonstrate it to himself and
others. Similarly anyone can demonstrate the perception of control to
themselves using the TCV.

HB : Here we go. Very good. Our old Rick. I
agree with most of what you wrote. I only think that you should use TCP (test
for controlled perception) not TCV (test for controlled variable). If I recall
our first private conversation right (almost 7 years ago), it ssems to me, that
you proposed something like TCP not TCV. We were discussing about “rocket
ball” or something like that and we were anaylizing movements with
“which perception to control” not “which variable to
control”.

But I could agree that when you are
writing articles to psychological based magazine, that you use TCV, as they
probably wouldn’t understand it in any other way.

HB: There is
no “objective fact” on itself, because you have to prove that you
somehow directly access to “reality” (outer environment) and know it
in every detail.

RM: Obviously I did not mean “objective” in that sense. I am
perfectly aware that “it’s all perception” and we don’t have
(and never will have) access to external “reality”.

HB : Superb. We are on the same frequency
again. I’m glad J J

HB : I thought that you are “protecting” the
“controlled” variable form distrubances not canceling the effects of
disturbances.

RM: I think of these as just two different ways of saying the same
thing.

HB : I still think that “protecting”
has something to do with “feed-forward” which Bill didn’t like. But
cancel or counter-act or compensate, he used very much. It’s actual control.

HB: Why did you
use term cancel instead of term “protecting”, if they have the same
meaning by your oppinion ?

RM: I like “protecting” better than “canceling” in
some cases because there are usually many different sources of disturbance
acting on a CV so actions are not canceling the effect of a disturbance (as in
CV = d - o, output cancels disturbance) but are protecting the controlled
variable from the net effect of many disturbing influences on the CV.

HB :

This is better one. So you use
“protecting” in some cases. I could accept that. But really please
stay at some cases, and in other cases if you could mostly be so kind and
use terms that Bill prefer most.

HB: And sorry I
didn’t get it, which is “controlled” variable in this case that you
are “protecting” it from disturbances ?

RM: The controlled variable is the variable around which behavior is
organized. So if the behavior is catching a fly ball, one controlled variable
is vertical optical velocity and to get under the ball the fielder must keep
that variable at 0. So the fielder moves backward or forward as necessary to
keep this variable at 0, protected from the effects of disturbance, the main
disturbance being the trajectory of the ball.

HB :

You really want to “kill” me
with this case J. I hope that we agreed that in this case you are describing, you can
get only Zig-Zag moving, not natural one. If we assume that fielder has the
goal to catch the ball with looking at the trajectory of ball or imagining it,
we have no problem in realizing that he is running to the “imagined catching
point”. J

RM : So control is
happening because we are seeing the:

“Achievement
and maintenance of a variable in a particular state through actions on the
environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances”.

HB: So you are
also “officialy” promoted to change Bill’s definitions.

RM: Anyone can propose changes to anything about PCT and try to justify
them. And anyone else is also free to reject the changes and justify the
rejection. This is not a cult.

HB :

I got impression that this time your
arguments are quite different as they were before. I must say that this time we
are very close to mutual agreement. You are good.

HB: To me it’s
obviously that you shouldn’t do that. Now as you changed definition, you’ll
have to change also his generic diagram and put the “controlled
variable” into outer environment.

RM: The controlled variable
already is in the outer environment in the “generic” diagram. It’s
called the “controlled quantity” when it’s out there.

HB : The
emphasis is on “when it’s out there”….So if we are making
general model as Bill did, there is better not to put any “permanent
controlled variable” as Bill corectlly did. I agree. J

Best

Boris

Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU]
On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013
8:12 PM

Systems Lectures

[From Rick Marken
(2013.12.22.1110)]

On Sun, Dec 22, > 2013 at 2:53 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net > wrote:

BH: TO PUT IT
EXACTLY IN PCT SENSE, CONTROL IS : “Achievement and maintanance of a
preselected perceptual state in the controlling system, through actions on the
environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances” (B:CP, 2005).

RM: Yes, that’s a
good one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely
theory free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with
this definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of
control was to include the important new assumptions of what has come to be
called PCT. I don’t think it was until many years after the publication of B:CP
that he actively promoted the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of
itsef – an objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is
explained by the theory of control: control theory.

I think the definition above can be “objectified:” a bit by changing
“perceptual state in a controlling system” to “variable”.
The idea that it is a perceptual variable that is controlled is really part of
the theory – a very important part of the theory but part of the theory
nevertheless.

But one can observe control without making any assumptions about how control
works. We can do this by observing a variable, such as the distance between
cursor and target in a tracking task, and noting that disturbances have little
or none of their expected effect on this variable and that this is because the
effects of these disturbances are being cancelled by observed actions (mouse
movements). So control is happening because we are seeing the:

“Achievement and maintenance of a variable in a particular state
through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of
disturbances”.

I also got
rid of the term “pre-selected” because this also makes theoretical
assumptions about what is going on inside the system doing the controlling. Of
course the “variable” referred to in the above definition is a
perception but then everything is a perception so it’s really unnecessary to
mention it.

BH: So as I see
it, control is initially not “protecting” act but cancelling act of output which compensate
effects of disturbances so to maintain perceptual stability (some preselected
perceptual state) in the controlling system.

RM: That’s fine.
The verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that actually
makes control work. I think that control can be correctly described as
involving “cancelling” the effect of disturbances or
“protecting” a controlled variable from the effects of disturbance.
But if “protecting” doesn’t work for you then feel free not to use
it.

Best

Rick

This could mean
that “controlled variable” is already affected and new state
perceived and controlled in comparator and act of canceling the effect or
compensating the efect of disturbances realized.

To use term
“protect” is something that means for me to act in advance, so to
“prevent” some “controlled variable” or better predefined
state of controlling system, from being disturbed, displaced,
affected…etc.

Term
“protecting” is probably kind of control but not in initial sense. By
my oppinion is one of consequences of “pure” PCT control, which is by
definition used with terms canceling, compensating, etc…

Something similar
was Ashby’s “control” definition : “Every stable system has the
property that if displaced from a state of equilibrium and released, the
subsequent movement is so matched to the initial displacement that the system
is brought back to the state of equilibrium” (Ashby, 1960).

I think that Ashby
used “compensation” for description of “control”. And it seems
to me that he used terms to describe actual “displacement” and actual
“compensation” not something happening in advance.

He tried to give
also definitions of dynamic system, variable and system, specifications of
behaviour, “stability”, “equilibrium”,
“steady-state”, and so on, as I think that Bill used some of this
terms in Appendix to the book B:CP, 2005.

So the main point
I see, is that whatever “controlled variable” is meant, is first
“moved” (perceived displacement) from the predefined, initial state
(reference state, equilibirum…) and than by canceling or compensating or
opposing effects of action or whatever we call that (maybe behavior), again
brought back to predefined, initial state (reference, equilibrium,
whatever…).

If we say that
“controlled variable” is protected than you probably assume that
“controlled variable” was not disturbed yet, as disturbances has
already been cancelled, compensated by control system in advance. But that can
never happen if control system “has no experiences” with “moving
controlled variable” from initial state with certain disturbances. How
else could control system “choose” disturbances to act on, so to
protect “controlled variable” from being affected if control system
doesn’t know what kind of effect distrubances have on “controlled
variable” and system itself.

I think that the
selection of disturbances that could have effect on controlled variable, are
those which in the past show tendency to “displace controlled
variable” from initial state. So when control system has that
“experience” than it can probably reorganize so to
“protect” it from disturbances. But by my oppinion it has to be
complex control system, build up with many control units, what could happen
through evolution.

In such a complex
organized control systems (more organized control units), certain control units
serve the goal to really “prevent” or “protect” certain
“controlled variable” from being disturbed, displaced or
“moved” from initial state like in some physiological cases.

So I think it’s
better to use initial terms when making defintion about control in PCT sense
such as cancelling, compensating activity not “protecting” activity.

Your
“exclusive” statement about Gordon…. :

RM : “Well,
Mr. Douglas is now off my list of people to
listen to about control theory. This lecture was awful”.

…has no
sense to me.

By my oppinion
Douglas tried methodically to show how control in different dynamic system
works. And by my opinion his retorics and pictures about control is better then
yours about “protecting controlled variables”. But both are
insufficient (as probably mine is), but that doesn’t mean that we have to stop
talking about your and his presentation of control, because they are
“awfull”. I think that both are good as the bases to improve them, so
they would show better how control theory works.

Rick, you are
doing a good job, moderating on CSGnet. But nobody said that you couldn’t be
better J

I can’t comment
other discussions for the time being as I didn’t read them. Maybe I missed
something important. I also didn’t entirely follow the discussion about B:CP
(2005) so I’m interested if you make any comments about Appendix in the book.
There are some interesting clarifications of terms control, stability…

Best,

Boris

Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013
2:38 AM
Systems Lectures

Martin Taylor
(2013.12.20.11.47)–

RM: Stability and control
are two different phenomena, something that it is now clear to me that Mr.
Douglas is completely unaware of. These two different phenomena are produced by
two different kinds of systems; stability is a kind of behavior exhibited by
certain “open-loop” or what I call “causal” systems.

I still haven’t
looked at the videos, but it strikes me that you are doing the old
philosophers’ trick of taking a word that has a variety of meanings, and using
a meaning appropriate in one context as though that were the meaning
appropriate to a different context. Yes, “stability” and
“control” are indeed different phenomena, in the same way
“food” and “vegetable” are different concepts.

RM:
No,“stability” and “control”, as described by Douglas in
the very first control lecture, are different phenomena in the way
“food” and “poison” are different. A stable system
(according to the lecture) is one that returns to its original
(“equilibrium”) state after a transient disturbance; a control system
is is one that remains in a reference state during continuous disturbance.
Douglas should have talked about variables rather than systems but you get the
idea.

MT: All feedback
loops, in fact all dynamical systems, whether control systems or not, have
stability criteria. Either they are stable or not. Some are more stable than
others.

RM: Yes, they do.
Indeed, I measure control in terms of stability (observed/expected variance of
the variable). In this case “stability” is simply referring to a
measure of the observed variations in a variable and it can be used to measure
the variability of a controlled variable or an uncontrolled variable (like the
variable position of the ball in the bowl that Douglas refers to as a stable
system).

MT: Some are
metastable, meaning they will maintain their current values until something
momentarily disturbs one of their signal values. Some of those will continue to
diverge from the original metastable value after the disturbance, some will
just maintain the disturbed set of signal values without further change. Some
are absolutely stable, meaning that after any kind of momentary disturbance
they will return their values to their original levels. Most real systems don’t
do that, and are stable only if the momentary disturbance doesn’t exceed some
limit.

The key concept is the “orbit”. All systems that can be described by
a vector of variables have a state. Their state is the vector of current
variable values together with the rates of change of the current variables.
That includes control systems, ball-in-a-bowl systems, the synapse strengths of
networks of millions of neurons, etc. etc. If the system is at some location in
the state space and is not further disturbed from outside, it will follow some
track through the state space. That track is an orbit, and there is only one
orbit through any point in the state space.

A stable system is one for which the orbit will converge to some track that is
the same for all the initial locations in the state space. That track is called
an “attractor”. The attractor may be a fixed point, a closed path
(which represents a stable oscillator) or a “strange attractor”
(which I won’t explain now). An unstable system is one for which the
orbits diverge. Here are a couple of examples of attractors, or at least the
projections of them into two dimensions, because even in 2-D, the orbit is
actually in a space of four dimensions, two for location and two for velocity.
I have omitted the velocity coordinates in these examples, and in the
fixed-point example it is the velocity that distinguishes the orbits where two
of them cross in the figure. In the 4-D state space, only one orbit passes
through any particular point.

RM: All of this simply
describes the observed behavior of a variable. Nothing about the shape of these
orbits can tell you whether the variable is controlled or not.

MT: A control
system is one for which the attractor converges in at least one dimension (the
perception-value dimension), but that’s not the main criterion for
differentiating the “ball-in-the-bowl” from a trivial control loop.

RM: That’s not
only is not a “main” criterion; it’s not a criterion at all. The only
criterion for distinguishing the “ball-in-the-bowl” from a controlled
ball in the bowl is the criterion John Kirkland just mentioned: The criterion of The
Test for the Controlled Variable, which is whether there is less of an effect
of a disturbance on the controlled variable than expected. You simply cannot
tell, by looking at just the observed behavior of the
“ball-in-the-bowl” (like the “fixed point” and “stable
oscillator” orbits pictured above) whether you are observing the behavior
of a controlled or uncontrolled variable. The orbits plotted above could be the
behavior of a controlled or uncontrolled ball. This is exactly analogous to the
situation in my mindreading
demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html). When you move one avatar around the
screen in a controlled manner, the other two move as well; you can’t tell from
the movements (orbits) of the avatars, which is controlled and which are not.
In order to determine control you have to disturb the position of the avatars
and see which avatar is affected least by the disturbance.

MT: Bruce Abbott put his finger
on it when he pointed out that the ball-in-the-bowl uses the energy supplied by
the disturbance to return the ball to its fixed point, whereas the control loop
uses an independent energy supply to oppose the effect of the disturbance on
one (and only one) of the variables in the state space of the loop. The manner
in which control is established is irrelevant.

RM: This is a
description of models that produce the observed behaviors: the open loop
physics model for the “ball-in-the-bowl”; closed-loop control for the
controlled ball. The manner in which control is established may be
irrelevant (I have no idea what that means actually; the only way I know of to
establish that control is happening is by using the Test) but one has to have
established that control is going on in one case and that it’s not going on in
the other in order to apply the correct explanations (models) to each case.

MT: It so happens
that the PCT definition of control is the maintenance of one particular value
among the many different signal values in a negative feedback loop, so Rick’s
comment “Control is produced only by negative feedback control systems”
is a tautology.

RM:
Actually, that’s not the PCT definition of control. The definition of control
is “maintenance of a variable in a pre-selected state, protected from
disturbance”. A negative feedback loop is a model of how control works.
It’s not a tautology.

MT: Control is
produced only by negative feedback control systems. So I couldn’t disagree
with you more when you say “we need to be sure that stability and control
are not seen as belonging to different kinds of systems”. In fact, we need
to be VERY sure that we understand that stability and control
“belong” to two very different systems: open-loop, causal
systems for the former and closed loop negative feedback systems for the
latter. [MT: “you” here is Bruce Abbott.]

RM: So let me get
this straight. Are you saying that the “stability” of the
behavior of the “ball-in-the-bowl” is the same as the
“stability” of the behavior of, say, the water level in Ktesibios’
water clock?

Best

Rick

To which I can
only say that there are several applicable proverbs along the lines that one is
better advised to listen and learn rather than to guess and pontificate. Bruce
is quite right to say “we need to be sure that stability and control are
not seen as belonging to different kinds of systems”. To contradict Bruce
is to say something as nonsensical as “we need to be sure that leafiness
and trees are not seen as belonging to different kinds of objects”.
“Stability” applies to all kinds of dynamical systems, which control
systems are.

Martin

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

The only thing
that will redeem mankind is cooperation.

-- Bertrand Russell

Version:
2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date: 12/20/13

Version:

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

The only thing

-- Bertrand Russell

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6941 - Release Date:
12/22/13

Richard S. Marken
PhD
www.mindreadings.com

-- Bertrand Russell

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6950 - Release Date: 12/25/13

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your claer insight to Bill’s
and Rick’s relation. And thank you for your good wishes. I wish you also a
“Happy New Year 2014”.

Boris Hartman

Attractors.jpg

···

Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Fred Nickols
2:33 PM
Systems Lectures

[From Fred Nickols
(2013.12.24.0828 EST)]

I wouldn’t
worry too much about it, Boris.
Rick is probably as close to being the crown prince of PCT as anyone but
he’s far from infallible. The CSG archives are full of instances
wherein Bill corrected Rick’s thinking. Sadly, without Bill,
there’s no one to do that anymore. So, Rick will doubtless put
forth PCT as he sees it. But if he errs he won’t go unchallenged,
just uncorrected. And that’s okay; his grasp of PCT is probably as
good as any others out there, just slightly different in some ways, as attested
to by the occasional disputes and discussions between he and other equally
savvy PCTers.

So relax and have a
happy holiday season. The new year should keep us all busy.

Fred Nickols

Boris
Hartman [mailto:boris.hartman@MASICOM.NET]
7:42 AM
Systems Lectures

Well Rick, I must admitt I am worried…where this “PCT
boat” is goimg…

HB:

TO PUT IT EXACTLY IN PCT SENSE, CONTROL IS : “Achievement
and maintanance of a preselected perceptual state in the controlling system,
disturbances” (B:CP, 2005).

RM:

Yes, that’s a good one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of
control that is completely theory free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do
that when he came up with this definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in
giving this definition of control was to include the important new assumptions
of what has come to be called PCT. I don’t think it was until many years after
the publication of B:CP that he actively promoted the idea that control was a
phenomenon in and of itsef – an objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS
III) – that is explained by the theory of control: control theory.

HB :

I’m wondering if you become an “officiall interpreter” of
Bill’s knowledge ? J. I thought you are just moderating. And from one
subtitle you concluded that “control” is “objective” fact.

The “fact” in subtitle could also mean that there are so many
evidence and models that we can conclude the generality of control in living
beings. If you think that Bill showed for “objectivity” in external
environment, you’ll with no doubt find some evidence in the book LCS III and
show me that you are right.

It seems to me, that you are trying to reduce PCT to some special case
of PCT. But in this way PCT will fall apart like “castle from cards”.
Beleive me. Bill was smart guy, knowing what he was doing, and why he wrote
definitions as they are. He kept generality of PCT model. And you are not.
Control units can be used in many ways, not just for “protecting” the
“controlled” variable from disturbances. Think of it.

Control “being a fact” is by my oppinion also contradiciting
your previous statement that “control” is phenomenon, so it’s by my
research in vocabulary, entirely dependent from perception. And perception can
never be “objective”. Maybe you had in mind some other meaning of
“phenomenon”.

There is no “objective fact” on itself, because you have to
prove that you somehow directly access to “reality” (outer
environment) and know it in every detail. But still humans are knowing about
“reality” only through their perception (some transformations) of “reality”.
And perception is not only limited, but it’s also just partly presenting the
“reality” or outside environment (as much input functions you have)
and input gain. Mostly enough for good control, but sometimes is not enough.
Accidents happens.

And more perceptions of the same “reality” more
“objective fact”. “Reality” is never mirrored into your
consciousnes to be “objective”. Whatever you are perceiving is just a
“model”, “perceptual construction”, “abstract
system”, whatever you call that what you perceive.

RM :

nevertheless.

HB :

“Objectifying”
Bill’s definition with “variable” is not good idea. As I said before.
I’m pretty sure that Bill knew what he was doing. But I’m not sure that you do.
I think that’s why his definitions and generic diagram survived so much time,
and I beleive it will survive much more time in future, if you will not change
or modify it. Putting the controlled “variable” into Bill’s
definition and consequently into “functional” diagram could by my oppinion
destroy it’s generality. It could be meant as just one special case of PCT.

RM :

movements).

HB :

I thought that you are “protecting” the
“controlled” variable form distrubances not canceling the effects of
disturbances.

Why did you use term cancel instead of term “protecting”, if
they have the same meaning by your oppinion ? And sorry I didn’t get it, which
is “controlled” variable in this case that you are
“protecting” it from disturbances ?

RM :

So control is happening because we are seeing the:

through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances”.

HB :

So you are also “officialy” promoted to change Bill’s
definitions. To me it’s obviously that you shouldn’t do that. Now as you
changed definition, you’ll have to change also his generic diagram and put the
“controlled variable” into outer environment. Well I’m wondering, are
you going to change whole his theory? Into what, RCT ?

RM :

I also got rid of the term “pre-selected” because
this also makes theoretical assumptions about what is going on inside the
system doing the controlling.

HB :

You got rid of Bill’s term in his definition (???). I’m really
wondering who authorised you to do that ?

RM :

Of course the “variable” referred to in the above
definition is a perception but then everything is a perception so it’s really
unnecessary to mention it.

HB :

Better. Nothing is “objective”. All is just perception.
Variables are just perceptual characteristics. But in your case I see it
necesary to mention it, as you are mixing “objective facts” with
perceived states of variables.

And I’m asking you once again that you use sysmbols HB not BH. As I
will thought that you are reffering to Bob Hintz.

BH: So as I see it, control is initially not “protecting” act
but cancelling act of output which
compensate effects of disturbances so to maintain perceptual stability (some
preselected perceptual state) in the controlling system.

RM: That’s fine. The
verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that actually
makes control work.

HB :

Well, I’m glad that you are satisfied with my verbal descriptions. But
I still think that verbal description are mostly closely related to
“functional models” in our heads. And I’m pretty interested if you
can show me your "functional« model (not adapted Bill’s), that will
show how control unit is “protecting” controlled variable in outer
environment. I’d just like to see how much your verbal description is not
important to you and how “actualy makes control work”.

RM :

I think that control can be correctly described as involving
“cancelling” the effect of disturbances or “protecting” a
controlled variable from the effects of disturbance. But if
“protecting” doesn’t work for you then feel free not to use it.

HB:

This one is very »foggy« and »slippy«
conclusion. I think that you shouldn’t use this “equatation”,
specially not in Bill’s defintions. But I think you could use it in some of
your theories.

But to test rightness of your “equality”, I’d be glad if you
show us how examples about PCT that Bill used with his favourite terms work. So
please show us how you would verbalize his examples with term
“protection”. Maybe something like this :

1. driving
    control (“protection” of speed and position on the road),

2. tracking
    experiment (“protection” of position of cursor)….

3. maybe
    you’ll remember some more.

As always maybe I misunderstood something…sorry…

Best

Boris

Systems Lectures

RM: Yes, that’s a good
one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely theory
free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with this definition.
Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of control was to include
the important new assumptions of what has come to be called PCT. I don’t think
it was until many years after the publication of B:CP that he actively promoted
the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of itsef – an objective fact
(as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is explained by the theory of control:
control theory.

nevertheless.

disturbances”.

I also got rid of the term “pre-selected” because
this also makes theoretical assumptions about what is going on inside the
system doing the controlling. Of course the “variable” referred to in
the above definition is a perception but then everything is a perception so
it’s really unnecessary to mention it.

BH: So as I see it, control is initially not “protecting” act
but cancelling act of output which
compensate effects of disturbances so to maintain perceptual stability (some
preselected perceptual state) in the controlling system.

RM: That’s fine. The
verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that actually
makes control work. I think that control can be correctly described as
it.

Best

Rick

This could mean that “controlled variable” is already affected
and new state perceived and controlled in comparator and act of canceling the
effect or compensating the efect of disturbances realized.

To use term
“prevent” some “controlled variable” or better predefined
state of controlling system, from being disturbed, displaced,
affected…etc.

Term

Something similar

I think that Ashby
used “compensation” for description of “control”. And it
seems to me that he used terms to describe actual “displacement” and
actual “compensation” not something happening in advance.

He tried to give

So the main point
whatever…).

If we say that

I think that the
through evolution.

In such a complex

So I think it’s

Your

…has no
sense to me.

By my oppinion

Rick, you are
better J

I can’t comment

Best,

Boris

Systems Lectures

Martin Taylor
(2013.12.20.11.47)–

RM: Stability and
control are two different phenomena, something that it is now clear to me
that Mr. Douglas is completely unaware of. These two different phenomena are
produced by two different kinds of systems; stability is a kind of behavior
exhibited by certain “open-loop” or what I call “causal”
systems.

I still haven’t
appropriate to a different context. Yes, “stability” and
“control” are indeed different phenomena, in the same way
“food” and “vegetable” are different concepts.

RM:
idea.

loops, in fact all dynamical systems, whether control systems or not, have stability
criteria. Either they are stable or not. Some are more stable than others.

RM: Yes, they do.
Indeed, I measure control in terms of stability (observed/expected variance of
the variable). In this case “stability” is simply referring to a
measure of the observed variations in a variable and it can be used to measure
the variability of a controlled variable or an uncontrolled variable (like the
system).

MT: Some are metastable,
meaning they will maintain their current values until something momentarily
disturbs one of their signal values. Some of those will continue to diverge
from the original metastable value after the disturbance, some will just
maintain the disturbed set of signal values without further change. Some are
absolutely stable, meaning that after any kind of momentary disturbance they
will return their values to their original levels. Most real systems don’t do
that, and are stable only if the momentary disturbance doesn’t exceed some
limit.

variable values together with the rates of change of the current variables. That
includes control systems, ball-in-a-bowl systems, the synapse strengths of

projections of them into two dimensions, because even in 2-D, the orbit is
actually in a space of four dimensions, two for location and two for velocity.
I have omitted the velocity coordinates in these examples, and in the fixed-point
example it is the velocity that distinguishes the orbits where two of them
cross in the figure. In the 4-D state space, only one orbit passes through any
particular point.

RM: All of this
simply describes the observed behavior of a variable. Nothing about the shape
of these orbits can tell you whether the variable is controlled or not.

ball in the bowl is the criterion John Kirkland just mentioned: The criterion of The
tell, by looking at just the observed behavior of the
“ball-in-the-bowl” (like the “fixed point” and “stable
oscillator” orbits pictured above) whether you are observing the behavior
of a controlled or uncontrolled variable. The orbits plotted above could be the
behavior of a controlled or uncontrolled ball. This is exactly analogous to the
situation in my mindreading demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html). When you move one avatar
around the screen in a controlled manner, the other two move as well; you can’t
tell from the movements (orbits) of the avatars, which is controlled and which
are not. In order to determine control you have to disturb the position of the
avatars and see which avatar is affected least by the disturbance.

comment “Control is produced only by negative feedback control
systems” is a tautology.

RM:
It’s not a tautology.

water clock?

Best

Rick

To which I can
systems are.

Martin

Richard S. Marken
PhD
www.mindreadings.com

The only thing

-- Bertrand Russell

No virus found in
this message.

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date:
12/20/13

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6937 - Release Date:
12/20/13

Richard S. Marken
PhD
www.mindreadings.com

-- Bertrand Russell

No virus found in
this message.

If I may join conversation, I must say
that Rick is progressing into Crown Prince of self-critics. For me it’s a good
sign. Let it be so also in 2014 nd many years after as Rick proposed. Have a
nice time in New Year.

Boris

Attractors.jpg

···

(CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard
Marken
10:12 PM
Systems Lectures

[From Rick Marken
(2013.12.25.1315)]

Fred Nickols (2013.12.24.0828 EST)

FN: I wouldn’t worry too much about
it, Boris. Rick is probably as
close to being the crown prince of PCT as anyone but he’s far from
infallible.

RM: I’ll think about this when I’m at the movies today and try to
figure out if I should feel complimented or offended;-) But I want it to be
clear that I will only accept the Crown Prince title if it comes along with a
very large stipend;-)

FN: The CSG archives are full of instances
wherein Bill corrected Rick’s thinking.

RM: Yes, and it happened many times outside of CSG conversations as
well. But I can remember at least once when I corrected Bill (I can’t remember
what it was about now but I do remember that I was when we were visiting my
sister iin laws at Xmas at her house nested in the gorgeous redwoods of the
Santa Cruz Mtns. It must have been back in the mid 1990s.

FN: Sadly, without Bill, there’s no
one to do that anymore.

RM: While it’s true that
no one can replace Bill, I think everyone as a right to “do
that” – ie. correct me or anyone else – when they think there is
an error. I think some things will just be bones of contention no matter what
because there is really no way to solve them to any one’s satisfaction. But
factual errors – errors that can be “objectively” tested – can be
corrected. These are the kinds of errors that I remember Bill
“correcting” for me – and that I accepted. And there were errors I
made that I corrected on my own by demonstrating things to myself using
modeling and testing. For example, I remember getting in a big fight with Bruce Abbott (as usual)
saying that people really could not be controlled because (by disturbing a
controlled variable) because their reference for the state of the controlled
variable could change autonomously. I said that based on intuition but when I
tested it it turns out that I was dead wrong; you can control another person’s
behavior by disturbing a variable they are controlling even if their reference
for the state of that variable is changing randomly. I confessed my error to
Bruce and put the demonstration up at my wed site( http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Coercion.html).

FN: So, Rick will doubtless put forth PCT as
he sees it.

RM: What else could I put forth? What else could anyone put forth. My
only hope is that I (or others) catch me when I get of track; that I am always
open to correction (hard to do but I try) and hope that others are as willing
to be corrected.

RM: But if he errs he won’t go
unchallenged, just uncorrected.

FN: I hope you are wrong about that. I hope there are people who will
not only challenge me but who are capable to providing useful correction. All
we’ve got is each other, after all.

FN: And that’s okay; his grasp of PCT
is probably as good as any others out there, just slightly different in some
ways, as attested to by the occasional disputes and discussions between he and
other equally savvy PCTers.

RM: Hopefully these differences, to the extent that they are
differences that make a difference (and I think many are) can be ironed out
through modeling and test. That’s my “faith” anyway. Bill was
exceptionally brilliant but I know that he never wanted PCT to be about him. He
didn’t want to be the guru, which meant he didn’t want his pronouncements to be
taken as gospel. Bill was staring a new science – just as Newton was starting
a new scsience – and he should be celebrated for that. But now we have to
carry on the science, build it up and do it. And we have to do it without
Bill to “correct” us (and he was not always correct, just as Newton
was not always correct). Science is a human endeavor and human endeavors often
involve conflict; but in science I would hope that these conflicts can
ultimately be resolved, not by going to sacred texts and saying but via
modeling and experimental test.

FN: So relax and have a happy holiday
season. The new year should keep us all busy.

RM: Yes,let’s have a
nice, scientific New Year. And many more after that.

Best regards

Crown Prince Rick

Fred Nickols

Hartman [mailto:boris.hartman@MASICOM.NET]
7:42 AM

Systems Lectures

Well Rick, I must
admitt I am worried…where this “PCT boat” is goimg…

[From Rick Marken
(2013.12.22.1110)]

On Sun, Dec 22, > 2013 at 2:53 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net > wrote:

HB:

TO PUT IT

RM:

Yes, that’s a good
one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely theory
free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with this
definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of control
was to include the important new assumptions of what has come to be called PCT.
I don’t think it was until many years after the publication of B:CP that he
actively promoted the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of itsef – an
objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is explained by the
theory of control: control theory.

HB :

I’m wondering if
you become an “officiall interpreter” of Bill’s knowledge ? J. I thought
you are just moderating. And from one subtitle you concluded that
“control” is “objective” fact.

The
“fact” in subtitle could also mean that there are so many evidence
and models that we can conclude the generality of control in living beings. If
you think that Bill showed for “objectivity” in external environment,
you’ll with no doubt find some evidence in the book LCS III and show me that
you are right.

It seems to me,
that you are trying to reduce PCT to some special case of PCT. But in this way
PCT will fall apart like “castle from cards”. Beleive me. Bill was
smart guy, knowing what he was doing, and why he wrote definitions as they are.
He kept generality of PCT model. And you are not. Control units can be used in
many ways, not just for “protecting” the “controlled”
variable from disturbances. Think of it.

Control
“being a fact” is by my oppinion also contradiciting your previous
statement that “control” is phenomenon, so it’s by my research in
vocabulary, entirely dependent from perception. And perception can never be
“objective”. Maybe you had in mind some other meaning of
“phenomenon”.

There is no
“objective fact” on itself, because you have to prove that you
somehow directly access to “reality” (outer environment) and know it
in every detail. But still humans are knowing about “reality” only
through their perception (some transformations) of “reality”. And
perception is not only limited, but it’s also just partly presenting the
“reality” or outside environment (as much input functions you have)
and input gain. Mostly enough for good control, but sometimes is not enough.
Accidents happens.

And more
perceptions of the same “reality” more “objective fact”.
“Reality” is never mirrored into your consciousnes to be
“objective”. Whatever you are perceiving is just a “model”,
“perceptual construction”, “abstract system”, whatever you
call that what you perceive.

RM :

nevertheless.

HB :

“Objectifying”
Bill’s definition with “variable” is not good idea. As I said before.
I’m pretty sure that Bill knew what he was doing. But I’m not sure that you do.
I think that’s why his definitions and generic diagram survived so much time,
and I beleive it will survive much more time in future, if you will not change
or modify it. Putting the controlled “variable” into Bill’s
definition and consequently into “functional” diagram could by my
oppinion destroy it’s generality. It could be meant as just one special case of
PCT.

RM :

movements).

HB :

I thought that you
are “protecting” the “controlled” variable form
distrubances not canceling the effects of disturbances.

Why did you use
term cancel instead of term “protecting”, if they have the same
meaning by your oppinion ? And sorry I didn’t get it, which is
“controlled” variable in this case that you are
“protecting” it from disturbances ?

RM :

So control is
happening because we are seeing the:

disturbances”.

HB :

So you are also
“officialy” promoted to change Bill’s definitions. To me it’s
obviously that you shouldn’t do that. Now as you changed definition, you’ll
have to change also his generic diagram and put the “controlled
variable” into outer environment. Well I’m wondering, are you going to
change whole his theory? Into what, RCT ?

RM :

I also got
assumptions about what is going on inside the system doing the controlling.

HB :

You got rid of
Bill’s term in his definition (???). I’m really wondering who authorised
you to do that ?

RM :

Of course
the “variable” referred to in the above definition is a perception
but then everything is a perception so it’s really unnecessary to mention it.

HB :

Better. Nothing is
“objective”. All is just perception. Variables are just perceptual
characteristics. But in your case I see it necesary to mention it, as you are
mixing “objective facts” with perceived states of variables.

And I’m asking you
once again that you use sysmbols HB not BH. As I will thought that you are
reffering to Bob Hintz.

it, control is initially not “protecting” act but cancelling act of output which compensate

The verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that
actually makes control work.

HB :

Well, I’m glad
that you are satisfied with my verbal descriptions. But I still think that verbal
description are mostly closely related to “functional models” in our
heads. And I’m pretty interested if you can show me your
"functional« model (not adapted Bill’s), that will show how control
unit is “protecting” controlled variable in outer environment. I’d
just like to see how much your verbal description is not important to you and
how “actualy makes control work”.

RM :

I think that
control can be correctly described as involving “cancelling” the
effect of disturbances or “protecting” a controlled variable from the
effects of disturbance. But if “protecting” doesn’t work for you then
feel free not to use it.

HB:

This one is very
»foggy« and »slippy« conclusion. I think that you
shouldn’t use this “equatation”, specially not in Bill’s defintions.
But I think you could use it in some of your theories.

But to test
rightness of your “equality”, I’d be glad if you show us how examples
about PCT that Bill used with his favourite terms work. So please show us how
you would verbalize his examples with term “protection”. Maybe
something like this :

1.  driving control ("protection" of speed

and position on the road),

1.  tracking experiment ("protection" of

position of cursor)….

1. maybe you’ll remember some more.

As always maybe I
misunderstood something…sorry…

Best

Boris

Systems Lectures

[From Rick Marken
(2013.12.22.1110)]

RM: Yes, that’s a
good one too;-) It’s tough to give a definition of control that is completely
theory free and I don’t think Bill was trying to do that when he came up with
this definition. Indeed, part of Bill’s goal in giving this definition of
control was to include the important new assumptions of what has come to be
called PCT. I don’t think it was until many years after the publication of B:CP
that he actively promoted the idea that control was a phenomenon in and of
itsef – an objective fact (as in the subtitle to LCS III) – that is
explained by the theory of control: control theory.

nevertheless.

disturbances”.

I also got
assumptions about what is going on inside the system doing the controlling. Of
course the “variable” referred to in the above definition is a
perception but then everything is a perception so it’s really unnecessary to
mention it.

The verbal description matters less to me than the functional model that
actually makes control work. I think that control can be correctly described as
it.

Best

Rick

This could mean
that “controlled variable” is already affected and new state perceived
and controlled in comparator and act of canceling the effect or compensating
the efect of disturbances realized.

To use term
“prevent” some “controlled variable” or better predefined state
of controlling system, from being disturbed, displaced, affected…etc.

Term

Something similar

I think that Ashby
used “compensation” for description of “control”. And it
seems to me that he used terms to describe actual “displacement” and
actual “compensation” not something happening in advance.

He tried to give

So the main point
whatever…).

If we say that

I think that the
through evolution.

In such a complex

So I think it’s

Your

…has no
sense to me.

By my oppinion

Rick, you are
better J

I can’t comment

Best,

Boris

Systems Lectures

Martin Taylor
(2013.12.20.11.47)–

RM: Stability and
control are two different phenomena, something that it is now clear to me
that Mr. Douglas is completely unaware of. These two different phenomena are
produced by two different kinds of systems; stability is a kind of behavior
exhibited by certain “open-loop” or what I call “causal”
systems.

I still haven’t
appropriate to a different context. Yes, “stability” and “control”
are indeed different phenomena, in the same way “food” and
“vegetable” are different concepts.

RM:
idea.

loops, in fact all dynamical systems, whether control systems or not, have
stability criteria. Either they are stable or not. Some are more stable than
others.

RM: Yes, they do. Indeed,
I measure control in terms of stability (observed/expected variance of the
variable). In this case “stability” is simply referring to a measure
of the observed variations in a variable and it can be used to measure the
variability of a controlled variable or an uncontrolled variable (like the
system).

MT: Some are
metastable, meaning they will maintain their current values until something
momentarily disturbs one of their signal values. Some of those will continue to
diverge from the original metastable value after the disturbance, some will
just maintain the disturbed set of signal values without further change. Some
are absolutely stable, meaning that after any kind of momentary disturbance
they will return their values to their original levels. Most real systems don’t
do that, and are stable only if the momentary disturbance doesn’t exceed some
limit.

variable values together with the rates of change of the current variables.
That includes control systems, ball-in-a-bowl systems, the synapse strengths of

projections of them into two dimensions, because even in 2-D, the orbit is actually
in a space of four dimensions, two for location and two for velocity. I have
omitted the velocity coordinates in these examples, and in the fixed-point
example it is the velocity that distinguishes the orbits where two of them
cross in the figure. In the 4-D state space, only one orbit passes through any
particular point.

RM: All of this
simply describes the observed behavior of a variable. Nothing about the shape
of these orbits can tell you whether the variable is controlled or not.

tell, by looking at just the observed behavior of the “ball-in-the-bowl”
(like the “fixed point” and “stable oscillator” orbits
pictured above) whether you are observing the behavior of a controlled or
uncontrolled variable. The orbits plotted above could be the behavior of a
controlled or uncontrolled ball. This is exactly analogous to the situation in
my mindreading
demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Mindread.html). When you move one avatar around the
screen in a controlled manner, the other two move as well; you can’t tell from
the movements (orbits) of the avatars, which is controlled and which are not.
In order to determine control you have to disturb the position of the avatars
and see which avatar is affected least by the disturbance.

comment “Control is produced only by negative feedback control systems”
is a tautology.

RM:
It’s not a tautology.

water clock?

Best

Rick

To which I can
systems are.

Martin

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

The only thing

-- Bertrand Russell

No virus found in
this message.

Version:

No virus found in
this message.

Version:

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

The only thing

-- Bertrand Russell

No virus found in
this message.

Richard S. Marken
PhD
www.mindreadings.com

-- Bertrand Russell

Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6950 - Release Date: 12/25/13

[From Bruce Abbott (2013.12.27.1400 EST)]

My apology for the delay in replying; I’ve been away from home and did not have access to my copy of B:CP.

The answer to your question appears to be “yes.” “Acting alone” I take to mean “in the absence of negative feedback onto the putative controlled variable.” If you know the physics of the system, then you can calculate the expected effect of a change to any of the system’s variables on the putative controlled variable’s value. If you get a predicted result, then the variable is not being controlled. If you get something less, then the effects of these changes are likely being opposed by the output of a control system.

Bruce

···

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of John Kirkland
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 2:22 PM

[John Kirkland 20131221]

Side bar: Solstice, again. OK the golden orb is soon to be tossed back to those of you in the other hemisphere.

Comment and question: The previous discussions and video-lecture helped resolve a small problem for me that’s related to page 236 where Bill presents ‘…the crucial factor in applying The Test’ (para 2). Rick (and anybody else) - is that paragraph once again affirming the open versus closed loop distinction Douglas is chatting about with his delightful examples?

Checking back onto a previous thread, my personal definition of a genius is anyone who can reveal what was staring me in the face. Thus far Bill takes line honours though several others in the PCT community are included as well. In a seasonal pun: they are complements of the reasoning.

Thanks in advance. And, Season’s Greetings to one and all whatever your creed.

JohnK.

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2013.12.20.0810)]

Bruce Abbott (2013.12.19.1400 EST)–

BA: Excellent point! But we need to be sure that stability and control are not

seen as belonging to different kinds of systems.

RM: Stability and control are two different phenomena, something that it is now clear to me that Mr. Douglas is completely unaware of. These two different phenomena are produced by two different kinds of systems; stability is a kind of behavior exhibited by certain “open-loop” or what I call “causal” systems. Control is produced only by negative feedback control systems. So I couldn’t disagree with you more when you say “we need to be sure that stability and control are not seen as belonging to different kinds of systems”. In fact, we need to be VERY sure that we understand that stability and control “belong” to two very different systems: open-loop, causal systems for the former and closed loop negative feedback systems for the latter.

Best

Rick

The system represented by the ball-in-a-bowl example is an equilibrium
system. It is stable against a transient disturbance because the energy
imparted by the transient disturbance becomes potential energy that converts
to a restorative force. In the case of the ball, the force that moves the
ball uphill against gravity creates a potential energy that is converted by
gravitational acceleration to a force that pushes the ball back to the
bottom. Similarly, compressing a spring stores energy in the spring that is
released when the spring is released, restoring the spring to its initial
length. The restoring energy comes from the disturbance.

A control system (if properly designed and tuned and operating within its
design environment) also exhibits stability, but as you note, it does so
even against a continuing disturbance. The restorative force comes, not
from the disturbance, but from the control system’s own energy supply.
Consequently it can oppose a disturbance that acts continuously on the
controlled variable. (An example is keeping the biceps on your arm
contracted to keep your forearm held level.)

Both equilibrium systems and control systems can exhibit other properties
besides stability. A ball balanced on the crest a hill exhibits
instability: the slightest disturbance will send it rolling downhill. A
control system with too much gain, or too much lag, can also exhibit
instability. It may go into oscillation and even run away to infinity if
its actions get sufficiently out of phase with changes in the controlled
variable so as to convert negative feedback into positive feedback.

Bruce

Rick Marken (2013.12.19.1020) –

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Bruce, I switched off after the first minute. Surely, from a PCT
perspective, stability cannot be defined as the capacity to restore to an
output of zero?

I see Bruce already answered you but let me put in my own 2 cents. I liked
the videos (actually I only saw the first video) that Bruce sent because I
thought it made a nice distinction between stability and control. These are
two different phenomena and confusion between the two has caused enormous
problems for PCT.

Stability is the characteristic of a variable that returns to it’s initial
state after a transient disturbance. Thus, a ball in a bowl is stable
because after a transient disturbance the ball returns to its initial
position. Same is true of a pendulum or a mass on a spring.

Control is a characteristic of a variable that remains in a predetermined
state in the face of a _continuously varying _ disturbance.

The superficial similarity between these two phenomena is that both seem to
involve “resistance to disturbance”. But the nature of this “resistance” is
quite different in the two cases. In stability, there really is no
resistance; the same forces that moved the variable away from the initial
position return it to that position once the disturbance force is removed.
In control, the resistance is active; the resistive forces are generated by
the system that is actively acting to keep the variable in a particular
state.

The problem for PCT is that psychologists who have an allergic reaction to
anything that smacks of purpose (as control does) have assumed that the
obvious controlling done by organisms is actually an example of stability so
that disturbance resistance can be explained in terms of non-control models
of stable systems. Thus, we have “mass-spring” models of limb stability;
“coordinative structure”
models of limb movement; “dynamic attractor” models of many different
activities.

I’ve done research to try to show that stability models cannot account for
control phenomena (Marken, R. S. (1991) Degrees of Freedom in Behavior.
Psychological Science, 2, 92 - 100). But I think part of the problem is that
psychologists don’t understand (or possibly don’t want to understand) the
difference between the phenomenon of stability and the phenomenon of
control. That’s why I think the first Douglas lecture can be useful; it can
help people understand the difference between these two phenomena and,
hopefully, see that what people do is control, not just come to rest in
stable states after disturbances.

Best

Rick

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com > wrote:

From Bruce Abbott (2014.12.18 1940 EST)

For those of you who would like to learn more about the classical