Cognitive Therapy (Beck)

[From Bill Powers (2005.09.23.1035 MDT)]

Mary picked up a used book called "Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders," by Aaron T. Beck. M.D. New American Library (Meridian) 1976. I just opened it for the first time. Here are some excerpts.

[Re: my theory of emotion, which Beck also puts forth}

"It is difficult to conceive how a person can react emotionally to an event before he has [cognitively] appraised its nature." (p. 28)

[Re: MOL]

"I had been practicing psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic psychotherapy for many years before I was struck by the fact that a patient's cognitions had an enormous impact on his feelings and behavior. All my patients ... expressed rather freely feelings, wishes, and experiences they had concealed from other people because of fear of disapproval....

"In time, however, I began to suspect that patients were not reporting certain kinds of ideation. ... A patient in the course of free association had been criticizing me angrily. After a pause, I asked him what he was feeling. Her responded "I feel very guilty."... According to the conventional psychoanalytic model.. his hostility led directly to guilty feeling.

"But then the patient volunteered the information that while he had been expressing anger-laden criticisms of me, he had also had continual thoughts of a self-critical nature. He described two streams of thought occurring at about the same time: one stream having to do with his hostility and criticisms, which he had expressed in free association, and another he had not expressed. He then reported the other stream of thoughts: 'I said the wrong thing ... I shouldn't have said that ... I'm wrong to criticise him ... I'm bad ... he won't like me ... I'm bad ... I have no excuse for being so mean.'

"This case presented me with my dirst clear-cut example of a train of thought running parallel to the reported thought content. ...

" When I checked subsequently with other patients who had been following the rule of free association for many months or years, I discovered they also had streams of thought they had not been reporting. ... In order to probe into their unexpressed thoughts, I had to quide the patients to be especially attentive to certain ideas and to report them to me."

An example follows on page 31 ff. A woman had been freely discussing her sexual problems. It wasn't clear why she seemed anxious in each session, so Beck "decided to direct her attention to her thoughts about what she had been saying."

"She then reported the following sequence: 'I am not expressing myself clearly ...He is bored with me ... He probably can't follow what I am saying ...This probably sounds foolish to him ...He will probably try to get rid of me.'

"After she was able to pinpoint and to correct her unrealistic thoughts, she no longer felt anxious during the therapy sessions."

Beck, unfortunately, was too deeply immersed in the "me doctor, you patient" culture to see fully what he had discovered. To him, the problem was "unrealistic thoughts" which had to be "corrected". And he was the one who had to do the correcting.

However, he did explore this phenomenon further and incorporated it into his practice. As soon becomes evident, however, he missed the point. To him, the background thoughts were simply evidence of "thinking disorders," and he spends a great deal of this book classifying the cognitive problems associated with various classical categories of disorders such as depression, anxiety, guilt, and so on. He attributes the improved success he experienced after having made these discoveries to his "highly-structured, problem-oriented approach" which seemed to be working better than other methods he had tried. The idea that simply calling attention to the background thought was, by itself, the essential part of the process clearly never occurred to him.

Beck contrasts his cognitive approach to both psychoanalysis and behaviorism, and in many ways would be a natural ally, though I doubt whether he's still alive. If he had followed a slightly different path, he surely would have come up with the Method of Levels. I wonder what influence he had on others.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Richard Kennaway (2005.09.23.1830 BST)]

Mary picked up a used book called "Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders," by Aaron T. Beck. M.D. New American Library (Meridian) 1976. I just opened it for the first time. Here are some excerpts.

Beck contrasts his cognitive approach to both psychoanalysis and behaviorism, and in many ways would be a natural ally, though I doubt whether he's still alive. If he had followed a slightly different path, he surely would have come up with the Method of Levels. I wonder what influence he had on others.

This appears to be him: http://mail.med.upenn.edu/~abeck/

-- Richard Kennaway

[From Bill Powers (2005.09.23.1256 MDT)]

Richard Kennaway (2005.09.23.1830 BST) --

Thanks for the contact information for Beck, Richard. I may try to contact him. Dag has offered to send one of Tim Carey's books to him. I'll go carefully -- I don't want to provoke a blast against MOL!

Are you aware that Tim and his colleagues in Scotland are trying to get a European CSG meeting organized? Right now a target date of March 2006 is being discussed. Do you have any ideas about people to notify?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Jason Gosnell 2005.09.23.1615CDT]

This is cool! Good luck--this could be very productive.

···

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:CSGNET@listserv.uiuc.edu]On Behalf Of Bill Powers
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 3:03 PM
To: CSGNET@listserv.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Cognitive Therapy (Beck)

[From Bill Powers (2005.09.23.1256 MDT)]

Richard Kennaway (2005.09.23.1830 BST) --

Thanks for the contact information for Beck, Richard. I may try to
contact him. Dag has offered to send one of Tim Carey's books to him.
I'll go carefully -- I don't want to provoke a blast against MOL!

Are you aware that Tim and his colleagues in Scotland are trying to
get a European CSG meeting organized? Right now a target date of
March 2006 is being discussed. Do you have any ideas about people to notify?

Best,

Bill P.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.09.25.0925)]

In a message dated 9/23/2005 1:24:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, powers_w@FRONTIER.NET writes:

Mary picked up a used book called “Cognitive Therapy and the
Emotional Disorders,” by Aaron T. Beck. M.D. New American Library
(Meridian) 1976. I just opened it for the first time. Here are some excerpts.

[Re: my theory of emotion, which Beck also puts forth}

“It is difficult to conceive how a person can react emotionally to an
event before he has [cognitively] appraised its nature.” (p. 28)

[Re: MOL]
Does anyone have any knowledge of Argyris’ Ladder of Inference?

This is a description of the ‘Ladder’ from a web site. a description I don’t fully agree with, but nonetheless is useful for highlighting the concept.

A more accurate and detailed account can be gotten from any one of Argyris’ many books. Action Science, Jossey-Bass, 1990 is one such book

Ladder of Inference

Short Circuiting Reality

The following “Ladder of Inference” was, I believe, initially developed by Chris Argyris, and subsequently presented in Peter Senge’s “The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization.”

What the diagram implies is that we begin with Real Data & Experience, the kind that would be captured by a movie camera that didn’t lie. We then we choose as set of Selected Data & Experience that we pay attention to. To this Selected Data & Experience we Affix Meaning, develop Assumptions, come to Conclusions, and finally develop Beliefs. Beliefs then form the basis of our Actions which create additional Real Data & Experience

The circular nature of this description becomes evident when the diagram is redrawn with an added influence.

This diagram indicates the reinforcing nature of this structure, as each action builds on the one before it. Yet there is an apparent difficulty with this structure.
It is our Beliefs which influence the Selected Data & Experience we pay attention to.

This diagram indicates that as our Beliefs influence the Selected Data & Experience we pay attention to they essentially establish an internal reinforcing loop which short circuits reality. The tendency is to select data to pay attention to which supports our beliefs. And, I would expect, as our Beliefs become more and more rigid the Selected Data & Experience we are willing to pay attention to will become a smaller and smaller portion of reality.
The relevant question seems to relate to how do we stop short circuiting reality and begin to see reality for what it really is.
My experience has lead me to understand that although there are many similarities in the way we each view Real Data & Experience there are subtle differences in the ladders of inference we traverse. I have found that by developing an understanding of the rungs on others ladders of inference the alternative perspectives provide a basis for uncovering inconsistencies between the Real Data & Experience and Selected Data & Experience resulting from my beliefs. An earnest endeavor to seek truth and understanding seems most beneficial.

···

If so, I would be interested in hearing how you feel the MOL and Ladder are similar, how they are different, and most importantly what affects they have on the controlling process.

The ‘Ladder’ has been around since the 1960’s and has been used extensively in research and practice over the past 40 years.

Regards,

Marc