Control of Higher Level Perceptions

[Rick Marken 2018-09-27_21:50:13]

RM: One thing that definitely distinguishes PCT from other control theory approaches to understanding behavior is the PCT notion that we control perceptions that are very complex, such as sequences and programs. The fact that we can control sequence and program perceptions is demonstrated in my “Control of Higher Level Perceptions” demo:Â

https://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/ProgramControl.html

RM: Although control of higher level perceptions is probably the most distinctive characteristic of PCT there has been very little work on modeling control of such perception. I have built programs that control relatively complex perceptions, such as perimeter, area, and logical relationships. But all of these perceptions were computed from multiple inputs that were present simultaneously at the input to the perceptual function that computed the perceptual signal.Â

RM: But many higher level perceptual variables, like the sequences and programs controlled in the “Control of Higher Level Perceptions” demo above, are computed from multiple inputs that are present at the input in what could be a very irregular temporal sequence. This seems like it could cause a lot of problems for a PID type controller since the perceptual signal has to be built up over time from these temporally occurring elements. Th problems would be of dynamic stability for a controller that produces output proportional to error or to the integral of error, which are time dependent variables.Â

RM: So what I would like to see is a model of a control system that does what a person can do in the “Control of Higher Level Perceptions” demo: control a program. I don’t know if Bill ever built such a control system but it seems to me that building a model of such a system would be a very important “proof of concept” of PCT. So I suggest this as a great project for any of you out there who are skilled programmers, roboticists and/or mathematicians.Â

BestÂ

Rick

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery