Creating an Online PCT course - a crowd sourced CSGnet-MOL project

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having a think about the slow adoption rate of PCT and identifying critical gaps in the overall strategy of the PCT community. Correct me if I’m wrong but historically the basic strategy of the PCT community was to focus on creating high quality research, with the idea of co-opting researchers by strength of argument, who would in turn disseminate PCT wider in publications/teacher. While necessary, it seems that this strategy alone is not sufficient to push PCT to a wider audience.

The critical issue to me is that PCT cannot be summed up in a pithy elevator pitch (like many shallow psychological theories) and it requires a degree of active engagement before understanding its significance. For example, even though I was familiar with cybernetics and system dynamics modelling, it took me a good couple of weeks to “get” that all parts of the loop were working simultaneously, as opposed to sequentially like most other models in psychology. All that time I was muttering - “yeah guys but how is this different and novel from theory x or theory y”. My own critical engagement was initially the enemy, because I needed some faith that there was something useful to learn to persist. The point is that there is steep learning curve to for PCT, and only early adoptors (malcontents) have the motivation to stick with it until all the parts of the theory are understood and adopted. Early adopters have the motivation to overcome the error and conflict of unlearning their basic conceptual models to learn PCT. This conflict could be thought of as the “switching cost” of PCT. It would seem that the switching cost for psychological researchers is high, possibly due to the amount of knowledge they have built on the conceptual models that PCT undermines, and hence a higher degree of conflict than a more naive learner. To use a military analogy, the strategy of focusing on co-opting researchers is essentially attacking a hard target, and this is rarely the best use of combat power. Better to bypass and cut them off from support until they surrender without firing a shot…

I believe that lowering switching costs and targeting psychology subgroups that have low switching costs should be the primary strategic focus for the PCT community. Essentially this is a similar idea to what Warren has been undertaking and advocating, however I believe materials should be highly targeted for specific subgroups for maximum effect. These lower switching cost groups could constitute an early majority, which eventually co-op the late majority (researchers). Two potential groups that have lower switching costs could be psychology practitioners (including related professions such as counselling) and psychology students.

Many practitioners are eclectic in their outlook, are primarily interested that a technique works in practice and are constantly looking for new tools for the tool box. Pushing MOL as a more efficient CBT modality and the trans-diagnostic approach to this group is a savvy course of action, however it does have a problem. This is due to the elegant and deceptive simplicity of MOL. While it is dead simple to learn MOL as a technique, it is an order of magnitude harder to learn the PCT that underpins it. However few practitioners will use a therapy technique unless they understand the basic rationale underlying it and that there is evidence for its efficacy. With Warren at el working on the evidence base - this still leaves communicating the basic rationale with an appropriate level of detail. While many may read a journal article or two, or even a few book chapters, I don’t believe that many practitioners will have the drive or the time to push past the switching costs to understand and adopt PCT as their primary theoretical framework. The world we live in is one of short attention spans and the expectation of instant gratification. My assessment is that PCT materials are still too scattered, suffer from too much or too little detail, or are not in an easily digestible format to do the job. Without the certainty that comes from understanding PCT, practitioners may not be convinced enough to use MOL with patients.

Therefore there is a gap in the learning materials, one that I believe can be addressed with a high quality online course that is targeted towards practitioners and students. A self paced, video based course that outlines PCT and its complexities could reduce the switching cost considerably and could provide a critical tool in disseminating PCT across the discipline and beyond. Conceptually this is an introduction to PCT, that provides enough understanding that interested people are confident enough to dive into the complexity. It also should provide enough ammunition for practitioners to defend their use of MOL, and allow them to persuade other practitioners and researchers to take an interest. It could also provide a subversive tool to target undergraduates/post grads before they adopt too many assumptions and basic conceptual models. With the exception of some scattered lectures there is nothing they can pick up quickly to learn the basics of PCT to a point that they can argue successfully against current theories (and lecturers). Also this course could be delivered face to face at universities or for practitioners opening up another dissemination avenue. The course could also be one of a pair, with this being the theory component and another course dedicated to MOL practical/certification.

A way to do this without overloading individuals, or risking a sub-optimal results is to draw on the community at large and crowd source content and editing. If we drew on the hundreds of years of PCT experience in these lists we could knock out a flagship product that could grow the community and secure the Bill’s legacy for new generations of psychologists. With good planning and oversight and a detailed scoping document to harmonise effort, I believe that we could create an excellent tool to assist understanding in PCT. This could also provide a pilot for other projects that similarly target low switching cost groups.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

···

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

Hi Sean, great idea. The two challenges I see are: the time investment required for the leader of this project; the dissemination of the course. But I am willing to be involved!
Warren

···

On 26 May 2017, at 04:09, Sean Mulligan <lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com> wrote:

drew on the hundreds of years of PCT experience

Hi Warren,

Thank you for the support. I agree the challenges are not trivial - but on a long enough time line every project is doable. Leadership could be a complicated affair - with administrative co-ordindation and technical leadership components. Admin co-ordination (scoping documents, tracking deliverables etc) can be undertaken by a competent list member, but technical leadership (signing off on course components) at various stages needs to be done by the PCT experts.

As for dissemination, that depends on PCT community members and “word of mouth marketing” as it were. Everytime a PCT community member gives a talk in front of an audience and mentions the course as a further reading reference, the potential audience grows. I figure that this can only help researchers, as people new to PCT need to understand the theory first before they can understand the additional research that utilises it as a foundation.

···

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Sean, great idea. The two challenges I see are: the time investment required for the leader of this project; the dissemination of the course. But I am willing to be involved!

Warren

On 26 May 2017, at 04:09, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

Cheers,

Sean

[From Bruce Nevin (2017.05.27.11:50 ET)]

[Putting this in the appropriate thread.]

Bravo Sean! You’re on to something.

There’s plenty of prepared grist for your proposed crowd-sourcing mill, such as online demos like Rick’s at mindreadings.com; tutorials like those of Bill’s at livingcontrolsystems.com/demos/tutor_pct.html, and being organized anew at pct-labs.com; and cribbing from the introductions to numerous papers and articles, such as the web-‘published’ joint paper at http://www.pctweb.org/PCTUnderstanding.pdf.

Warren’s concern about manageability is valid. That last item above was crowd-sourced. Do you have insight or sources of guidance about how to organize and run a crowd-sourced project?

···

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Warren,

Thank you for the support. I agree the challenges are not trivial - but on a long enough time line every project is doable. Leadership could be a complicated affair - with administrative co-ordindation and technical leadership components. Admin co-ordination (scoping documents, tracking deliverables etc) can be undertaken by a competent list member, but technical leadership (signing off on course components) at various stages needs to be done by the PCT experts.

As for dissemination, that depends on PCT community members and “word of mouth marketing” as it were. Everytime a PCT community member gives a talk in front of an audience and mentions the course as a further reading reference, the potential audience grows. I figure that this can only help researchers, as people new to PCT need to understand the theory first before they can understand the additional research that utilises it as a foundation.

Cheers,

Sean

Warren

Thanks Bruce. I agree that there is more than enough there already, it just needs to be bought together in a logical sequence to highlight the implications of all those great demonstrations.

As for manageability, I also agree that there is a lot of work and if only one person shouldered the load then it could get onerous. How we mitigate this is dependent on the number of people interested in assisting, in what capacity they wish to assist and how long the project will run for.

I’ve never done a project like this before, but logically you could break up participants in 1. Contributors 2. Administrative co-ordination 3. Technical leadership and 4. Beta testers. Contributors provide specific content or editing as per a detailed course plan. Administrative co-ordination does the day to day (ie tracking contributor tasks, integrations sections into the course, sending course versions out to the beta testers, maintaining documentation). Technical leadership signs off on the content of each section, confirming that it is accurate and meets the stated objective of the course plan. Beta testers provide ongoing feedback on various versions of the course.

The first step is organise volunteers into these categories based on how they wish to contribute. As quick and dirty role specification can be done for each as a living document, allowing everyone to know what their left and right of arc is. Naturally some people may cross categories. The next step after volunteer organisation is to do a quick analysis on potential participant groups, such as their goals, characteristics and preferences. From there we have enough to determine the overall objective of the course, i.e. what is the endstate is for the participant. That objective can then be expanded into learning objectives, which are in turn expanded into modules, lesson objectives and lesson section objectives. From there we can outline key limitations such as course length, which will restrict the level of content that can be included.

All of the above is put into a couse plan document that provides the road map. From there admin co-ord can assign lessons or lesson sections to teams of contributors to work on. A possible development cycle that could be used is a monthly one. Each month technical leadership checks the content and it is send by the admin co-ords to the beta testers. They run through and provide feedback on the new content that can inform the next months development and editing. The first goal is to develop a minimal viable product (mvp) that is the quickest and dirtiest version that can be completed, so that beta testers can confirm or dis-confirm the assumptions we developed about their requirements and preferences in the first couple of steps. Regular testing should mean there won’t be major rewrites and redesigns and save effort and time overall.

The key requirement is to have redundant capacity and clear processes in each area, so that when life happens another category member can pick up the slack. Having one person run the admin, technical and contribute make the project way to fragile and dependent on the capacity of that person. If I were to run this project, that is how I would approach it. An yes, I have the capacity to undertake Admin co-ord duties as required.

···

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 1:52 AM, Bruce Nevin bnhpct@gmail.com wrote:

There’s plenty of prepared grist for your proposed crowd-sourcing mill, such as online demos like Rick’s at mindreadings.com; tutorials like those of Bill’s at livingcontrolsystems.com/demos/tutor_pct.html, and being organized anew at pct-labs.com; and cribbing from the introductions to numerous papers and articles, such as the web-‘published’ joint paper at http://www.pctweb.org/PCTUnderstanding.pdf.

Warren’s concern about manageability is valid. That last item above was crowd-sourced. Do you have insight or sources of guidance about how to organize and run a crowd-sourced project?

/Bruce

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Warren,

Cheers,

Sean

Warren

Hi Sean, sounds like you know project management!

Some thoughts that occurred to me whilst reading:

• the need for a good presenter and/or narrator

• video production skills

• assessments and assignments designed, reviewed and marked

• possible music rights and acquisition of rights for third party images and videos

• the multiple needs of different viewers entailing maybe core modules and different pathways depending on expertise

• the fact that if we wanted an MOL pathway to be properly useful it might need assessment of MOL adherence via videos

• the involvement of a University as sponsorship, shared resources and accreditation

• the challenge of getting funding (which I always struggle with) to convince people there is a massive need for a PCT-informed initiati
    ve when no group of people are actually asking for it (‘they don’t know what they need’)

• the paradoxical conflict between this strategy and the tenet of MOL that we are often inaccurate when trying to infer what other people need…

Not insurmountable but sobering!

Talk to you soon,

Warren

···

/Bruce

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

Hi Warren,

Cheers,

Sean

Warren

Yep you are right - sobering is the word. It is very easy at this point to focus on the details and hit overload. I think we should think small initially and confirm that our direction is sound before chasing and committing resources. Funding will be the result of the process.

I think the best method to adopt is the same method startups use of develop a business model, such as the lean startup methodology. This is a strategy that is used to specifically address your critical point:

• the paradoxical conflict between this strategy and the tenet of MOL that we are often inaccurate when trying to infer what other people need…

Startups used to create a comprehensive strategic plan, develop a business model and then build a product. Then they launch the product and hope for the best. The problem is that most fail, because no matter how smart the planners are, they have based their plan on a large number of untested assumptions. In their desire to get a polished product for launch to avoid criticism, they took the risky step of assuming the business model they developed was sound, without any experimentation or testing. Using a lean methodology is about constant testing of product and audience assumptions using experimental product builds. You build a Minimal Viable Product (MVP) and test it. This can be testing the concept using a smoke test (polling if the concept is desirable), testing a part or the whole of the course. The main thing is that we don’t infer what people need, we test it experimentally at each step. Each feature, each potential audience segment, each “expensive inclusion” that may or may no be needed to achieve the endstate. This as much about testing the business model as improving the product. It is a solid methodology that is inline with PCT/MOL and it massively reduces project risk.

• to convince people there is a massive need for a PCT-informed initiati ve when no group of people are actually asking for it (‘they don’t know what they need’)

This is the crux of it. If we can identify and target audiences with a need then the funding will follow. The course development plan should include a “marketing” strategy. We need to determine the “low switching cost” audiences that have a problem that PCT course can solve. You have a strong rationale for MOL, which attracts people to MOL, and therefore they have a need to understand PCT so they are confident in the overall method. As for other audiences, a detailed analysis needs to be done. For example, a psychology researcher audience with low switching costs could be:

1. Already are critical of the theory base in their discipline 2. Actively seeking a new theory to fit the facts 3. Have no experience with PCT/systems research/cybernetics. We could call this audience the “conventional disaffected” segment. It is conceivable these could be identified by journal article/researchgate searches and looking at publication listings. Get a feel for who they are and any like minded groups they belong to.

Another may be Phd students that are looking at using systems methodology for their thesis projects and are undertaking a literature review, or word of mouth interaction at conferences by PCT community members. Some visual perception researchers were immediately interested in PCT when I was chatting to them, mainly due to the fact they are very conscious of the gaps in their discipline.

• the involvement of a University as sponsorship, shared resources and accreditation

Off topic - I see this as one of the biggest problems for PCT in general. If there was a “PCT research center” that could incubate researchers there would be a lot more high quality research. On topic: My experience with grant funding and university politics is minimal. Luckily here I have the MARCS lab, that mainly does basic perceptual research. Seems like a good place to start.

Keep the thoughts coming.

···

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

• possible music rights and acquisition of rights for third party images and videos
  • the multiple needs of different viewers entailing maybe core modules and different pathways depending on expertise
  • the fact that if we wanted an MOL pathway to be properly useful it might need assessment of MOL adherence via videos
  • the challenge of getting funding (which I always struggle with) to convince people there is a massive need for a PCT-informed initiati
    ve when no group of people are actually asking for it (‘they don’t know what they need’)

Talk to you soon,

Warren

On 28 May 2017, at 03:49, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Bruce. I agree that there is more than enough there already, it just needs to be bought together in a logical sequence to highlight the implications of all those great demonstrations.

As for manageability, I also agree that there is a lot of work and if only one person shouldered the load then it could get onerous. How we mitigate this is dependent on the number of people interested in assisti
ng, in what capacity they wish to assist and how long the project will run for.

I’ve never done a project like this before, but logically you could break up participants in 1. Contributors 2. Administrative co-ordination 3. Technical leadership and 4. Beta testers. Contributors provide specific content or editing as per a detailed course plan. Administrative co-ordination does the day to day (ie tracking contributor tasks, integrations sections into the course, sending course versions out to the beta testers, maintaining documentation). Technical leadership signs off on the content of each section, confirming that it is accurate and meets the stated objective of the course plan. Beta testers provide ongoing feedback on various versions of the course.

The first step is organise volunteers into these categories based on how they wish to contribute. As quick and dirty role specification can be done for each as a living doc
ument, allowing everyone to know what their left and right of arc is. Naturally some people may cross categories. The next step after volunteer organisation is to do a quick analysis on potential participant groups, such as their goals, characteristics and preferences. From there we have enough to determine the overall objective of the course, i.e. what is the endstate is for the participant. That objective can then be expanded into learning objectives, which are in turn expanded into modules, lesson objectives and lesson section objectives. From there we can outline key limitations such as course length, which will restrict the level of content that can be included.

All of the above is put into a couse plan document that provides the road map. from there admin co-ord can assign lessons or lesson sections to teams of contributors to work on. A possible development cycle that could be used is a monthly one. Each month technical leadership checks
the content and it is send by the admin co-ords to the beta testers. They run through and provide feedback on the new content that can inform the next months development and editing. The first goal is to develop a minimal viable product (mvp) that is the quickest and dirtiest version that can be completed, so that beta testers can confirm or dis-confirm the assumptions we developed about their requirements and preferences in the first couple of steps. Regular testing should mean there won’t be major rewrites and redesigns and save effort and time overall.

The key requirement is to have redundant capacity and clear processes in each area, so that when life happens another category member can pick up the slack. Having one person run the admin, technical and contribute make the project way to fragile and dependent on the capacity of that person. If I were to run this project, that is how I would approach it. An yes, I have the capacity to undert
ake Admin co-ord duties as required.

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

/Bruce

Hi Warren,

Cheers,

Sean

Warren

Thanks Sean, I like the MVP idea…

···

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

• the involvement of a Univer
    sity as sponsorship, shared resources and accreditation

Talk to you soon,

Warren

On 28 May 2017, at 03:49, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

As for manageability, I also agree that there is a lot of work and if only one person shouldered the load then it could get onerous. How we mitigat
e this is dependent on the number of people interested in assisti
ng, in what capacity they wish to assist and how long the project will run for.

The first step is organise volunteers into these categories based on how they wish to contribute. As quick and dirty role specification can be done fo
r each as a living doc
ument, allowing everyone to know what their left and right of arc is. Naturally some people may cross categories. The next step after volunteer organisation is to do a quick analysis on potential participant groups, such as their goals, characteristics and preferences. From there we have enough to determine the overall objective of the course, i.e. what is the endstate is for the participant. That objective can then be expanded into learning objectives, which are in turn expanded into modules, lesson objectives and lesson section objectives. From there we can outline key limitations such as course length, which will restrict the level of content that can be included.

All of the above is put into a couse plan document that provides the road map. from there admin co-ord can assign lessons or lesson sections to teams of contributors to work on. A possible development cycle that could be used is a monthly one. Each month technical le
adership checks
the content and it is send by the admin co-ords to the beta testers. They run through and provide feedback on the new content that can inform the next months development and editing. The first goal is to develop a minimal viable product (mvp) that is the quickest and dirtiest version that can be completed, so that beta testers can confirm or dis-confirm the assumptions we developed about their requirements and preferences in the first couple of steps. Regular testing should mean there won’t be major rewrites and redesigns and save effort and time overall.

The key requirement is to have redundant capacity and clear processes in each area, so that when life happens another category member can pick up the slack. Having one person run the admin, technical and contribute make the project way to fragile and dependent on the capacity of that person. If I were to run this project, that is how I would approach it. An yes, I have the capacity to
undert
ake Admin co-ord duties as required.

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

/Bruce

On Fri, May 26, 2
017 at 9:41 PM, Sean Mulligan lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Warren,

Cheers,

Sean

Warren

[Martin Taylor 2017.05.28.07.14]

Apparently we have a new subgroup of correspondents who do not want their messages to be discoverable in the archives!

The CSGnet convention is that it should be possible to reference all messages so that an something said in 2017 can be found and referenced in a publication (or a later discussion) in 2027. The usual format is the one I used above (Personal identifier and date-time indicator in international standard format). The actual identifier doesn't matter much, so long as the message can be uniquely referenced in the large archive or in a message in the same thread. I could use "MMT 6157" so long as nobody else used the same and I didn't re-use the message number. But please use something to that can be used as a unique reference!

Hi Sean, ...
- the paradoxical conflict between this strategy and the tenet of MOL that we are often inaccurate when trying to infer what other people need...

Isn't this a rather un-PCT way of putting it? It sonds as though you want to consider control of their behaviour rather than the perceptions they may be controlling? Shouldn't "need" be replaced by "what they are trying to achieve" or something similar?

As I have written elsewhere, PCT is rather a Swiss Army Knife of theories (sometimes also as an "Atomic Theory" of life). It's a tool that, like any other tool, is useful for some purposes (in the case of PCT, many purposes) but not others. If I want to dig a hole, I don't want a microscope. If I want to look at bacteria, I don't want a shovel. In some ways, PCT can be used as either a microscope of a shovel, but to do so, the user has to know how to pull the right blade out of the knife.

Sean said that it took him a while, with the right background behind him, to get the simultaneity of effects around the loop. It took me (also with a suitable backgrund) a while to realize that the "control" in Perceptual Control was real engineering control and not a metaphor, and then a little while longer to realize that when we talk about "controlling another person" in conversation, that's not what we are doing. We are controlling out perceptions of the other person's actions.

Little misconceptions cause problems. You may be able to ease your way into the general idea of PCT, but it stays complicated until you really treat "control of you OWN perception" as the only thing you can do, ever. Maybe just that is the first thing to get across. The "how" of controlling your own perceptions comes later,

Once you achieve that flash of real insight, PCT stops being so difficult. Maybe the maths is difficult, but then so is the maths of quantum chromodynamics, and that doesn't stop chemists from making complex organic molecules for particular purposes. So with PCT. If something seems hard, to see whether you might still have some remanent misconception might remove the barrier. It may be hard for the chemist to learn how to make particular kinds of molecules, but they don't have to do quantum analyses to use the idea of valence bonds.

What kind of purposes might this course target? Getting one's name well known in one's research community may or may not be among them. Getting easy publication in popular journals may not be among them. Getting wealthy from writing popular books may not be among them. Disrupting the underlying concept on which one's research career is based in the hope of discovering a new basis may not be among them. Feeling better about one's place in the world might well be among them, as might a search for the truth of the world. PCT just might be a route to all of them, with varying levels of probability.

Sean suggested one class of possible purposes when he mentioned dissatisfaction with the mainstream in some field of research to which PCT might apply. The problem is that there are so many possible fields of research. Rick Marken frequently claims that the only legitimate research object of PCT is the search for the controlled variable. He also claims that almost nobody does proper PCT research, because they look for something other than the controlled variable. How many of those who do not know much, if anything, about PCT have as their main research purpose the search for the controlled variable? Not many, I think, if any. So why would they even contemplate learning abut PCT, if that is how PCT is presented by its main guru?

However, just as the chemist presumably has to understand valence bonds, so, once the PCT student learns that the only thing anyone can ever do is control their own perceptions, then they can and should examine what perceptions someone might be controlling in a particular situation -- as here and now; what perceptions might people be controlling that they could control better if they understood PCT?

In the CSGnet community we have people interested in hard control theory, linguists, sociologists, psychologists, semioticians, and much more (I suppose, not knowing the backgrounds of most readers). Once such people know and apply PCT, they may well need to know what variables are controlled in particular problems related to their interests, but to tell them so off the bat is unlikely to let them see that PCT could serve their purposes better than the tools they have.

Religious missionaries sometimes claim that what they are doing is for the good of the people they are trying to convert, but the people who "need" to be converted do not see how conversion will serve their purposes. The old religion has served them well, so why change? PCT missionary work is much the same. To be a missionary is to serve one's own purposes, in this case by offering a multi-purpose tool. What perceptions are individuals among "we PCT missionaries" controlling by wanting people to understand and use PCT? Is it self-image control, disturbing some perception in another so that they will say "I see. You were right all along."?

What do "we" want?

Martin

···

On 2017/05/28 3:47 AM, Warren Mansell wrote:

Martin,

[Sean Mulligan 2017.05.29.01.56]

You raise some good points. I’ll only comment briefly due to the late hour.

MT: Religious missionaries sometimes claim that what they are doing is for the good of the people they are trying to convert, but the people who “need” to be converted do not see how conversion will serve their purposes. The old religion has served them well, so why change? PCT missionary work is much the same. To be a missionary is to serve one’s own purposes, in this case by offering a multi-purpose tool. What perceptions are individuals among “we PCT missionaries” controlling by wanting people to understand and use PCT? Is it self-image control, disturbing some perception in another so that they will say “I see. You were right all along.”?

My goal is to do PCT research and it can be argued that research is best done in teams. The lack of people versed in PCT in my environment is means I don’t have the option of forming a local team. The lack of people versed in PCT lowers how seriously my research would be taken, or even understood at all. This is not missionary zeal, this is trying to create a favorable environment to conduct research. This is trying to create an ecosystem that PCT can grow and thrive. A PCT course has one purpose - to reduce the disturbances for a reference goal of “Understanding PCT”. Such a course is just an affordance for people that want to learn. Other materials (such as journals) that critique current theories and generate error - are also needed. Other materials that demonstrate that PCT can reduce that error are also needed. While they are not part of the course, they are the reasons why people would bother looking at it in the first place.

···

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 1:28 AM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Martin Taylor 2017.05.28.07.14]

Apparently we have a new subgroup of correspondents who do not want their messages to be discoverable in the archives!

The CSGnet convention is that it should be possible to reference all messages so that an something said in 2017 can be found and referenced in a publication (or a later discussion) in 2027. The usual format is the one I used above (Personal identifier and date-time indicator in international standard format). The actual identifier doesn’t matter much, so long as the message can be uniquely referenced in the large archive or in a message in the same thread. I could use “MMT 6157” so long as nobody else used the same and I didn’t re-use the message number. But please use something to that can be used as a unique reference!

On 2017/05/28 3:47 AM, Warren Mansell wrote:

Hi Sean, …

Isn’t this a rather un-PCT way of putting it? It sonds as though you want to consider control of their behaviour rather than the perceptions they may be controlling? Shouldn’t “need” be replaced by “what they are trying to achieve” or something similar?

As I have written elsewhere, PCT is rather a Swiss Army Knife of theories (sometimes also as an “Atomic Theory” of life). It’s a tool that, like any other tool, is useful for some purposes (in the case of PCT, many purposes) but not others. If I want to dig a hole, I don’t want a microscope. If I want to look at bacteria, I don’t want a shovel. In some ways, PCT can be used as either a microscope of a shovel, but to do so, the user has to know how to pull the right blade out of the knife.

Sean said that it took him a while, with the right background behind him, to get the simultaneity of effects around the loop. It took me (also with a suitable backgrund) a while to realize that the “control” in Perceptual Control was real engineering control and not a metaphor, and then a little while longer to realize that when we talk about “controlling another person” in conversation, that’s not what we are doing. We are controlling out perceptions of the other person’s actions.

Little misconceptions cause problems. You may be able to ease your way into the general idea of PCT, but it stays complicated until you really treat “control of you OWN perception” as the only thing you can do, ever. Maybe just that is the first thing to get across. The “how” of controlling your own perceptions comes later,

Once you achieve that flash of real insight, PCT stops being so difficult. Maybe the maths is difficult, but then so is the maths of quantum chromodynamics, and that doesn’t stop chemists from making complex organic molecules for particular purposes. So with PCT. If something seems hard, to see whether you might still have some remanent misconception might remove the barrier. It may be hard for the chemist to learn how to make particular kinds of molecules, but they don’t have to do quantum analyses to use the idea of valence bonds.

What kind of purposes might this course target? Getting one’s name well known in one’s research community may or may not be among them. Getting easy publication in popular journals may not be among them. Getting wealthy from writing popular books may not be among them. Disrupting the underlying concept on which one’s research career is based in the hope of discovering a new basis may not be among them. Feeling better about one’s place in the world might well be among them, as might a search for the truth of the world. PCT just might be a route to all of them, with varying levels of probability.

Sean suggested one class of possible purposes when he mentioned dissatisfaction with the mainstream in some field of research to which PCT might apply. The problem is that there are so many possible fields of research. Rick Marken frequently claims that the only legitimate research object of PCT is the search for the controlled variable. He also claims that almost nobody does proper PCT research, because they look for something other than the controlled variable. How many of those who do not know much, if anything, about PCT have as their main research purpose the search for the controlled variable? Not many, I think, if any. So why would they even contemplate learning abut PCT, if that is how PCT is presented by its main guru?

However, just as the chemist presumably has to understand valence bonds, so, once the PCT student learns that the only thing anyone can ever do is control their own perceptions, then they can and should examine what perceptions someone might be controlling in a particular situation – as here and now; what perceptions might people be controlling that they could control better if they understood PCT?

In the CSGnet community we have people interested in hard control theory, linguists, sociologists, psychologists, semioticians, and much more (I suppose, not knowing the backgrounds of most readers). Once such people know and apply PCT, they may well need to know what variables are controlled in particular problems related to their interests, but to tell them so off the bat is unlikely to let them see that PCT could serve their purposes better than the tools they have.

Religious missionaries sometimes claim that what they are doing is for the good of the people they are trying to convert, but the people who “need” to be converted do not see how conversion will serve their purposes. The old religion has served them well, so why change? PCT missionary work is much the same. To be a missionary is to serve one’s own purposes, in this case by offering a multi-purpose tool. What perceptions are individuals among “we PCT missionaries” controlling by wanting people to understand and use PCT? Is it self-image control, disturbing some perception in another so that they will say “I see. You were right all along.”?

What do “we” want?

Martin

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

[Martin Taylor 2017.05.28.12.19]

Where in the world are you? I'm guessing Eastern Australia? Is that

correct?
Thanks for that. As a long-retired person who was never a part of
team research with more than three in the team, I tend to forget the
benefits of face-to-face argument as compared to electronic
interaction.
What do you think any single one of your local peers might be
controlling for that they might find easier to control if they
understood PCT? Are any of the ones you would particularly hope to
interest female?
I remember when I was working regularly, trying to tell a
lunch-table of three female colleagues about PCT. Their unanimous
opinion was “Control? That’s such a male thing.” What proportion of
PCT papers have female authors? How many women contribute to CSGnet?
The answer to the latter question is “very few other than Bill’s
family” and they post very seldom. I suspect there’s a similar
answer to the first question, too. Why? What are they controlling
for that is so disturbed by the word “control” that they mostly
don’t see past it? Could the on-line course somehow avoid creating
that particular disturbance, if indeed there is a similar perception
being controlled in most women?
Questions. No answers. Do any of Bill’s family have suggestions? Are
these among the right questions to ask?
Martin

···

On 2017/05/28 12:13 PM, Sean Mulligan
wrote:

Martin,

You raise some good points. I'll only comment briefly due

to the late hour.

My goal is to do PCT

research and it can be argued that research is best done in
teams. The lack of people versed in PCT in my environment is
means I don’t have the option of forming a local team. The
lack of people versed in PCT lowers how seriously my
research would be taken, or even understood at all. This is
not missionary zeal, this is trying to create a
favorable environment to conduct research. This is trying to
create an ecosystem that PCT can grow and thrive. A PCT
course has one purpose - to reduce the disturbances for a
reference goal of “Understanding PCT”. Such a course is just
an affordance for people that want to learn. Other
materials (such as journals) that critique current theories
and generate error - are also needed. Other materials that
demonstrate that PCT can reduce that error are also needed.
While they are not part of the course, they are the reasons
why people would bother looking at it in the first place.

[From Rick Marken (2017.05.28.1107)]

···

Martin Taylor (2017.05.28.12.19)

Sean Mulligan 2017.05.29.01.56]

SM: You raise some good points. I'll only comment briefly due

to the late hour.

MT: Where in the world are you? I'm guessing Eastern Australia? Is that

correct?

RM: Yes, I’d like to know that too. Maybe I missed it but I would also like to know what you, Sean, are so stoked on PCT and so anxious to get others to learn it?Â

Thanks

Best

Rick

Â

My goal is to do PCT

research would be taken, or even understood at all. This is
favorable environment to conduct research. This is trying to
an affordance for people that want to learn. Other
why people would bother looking at it in the first place. Â
Â

interaction.

interest female?

Questions. No answers. Do any of Bill's family have suggestions? Are

Martin

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Sean Mulligan 2017.05.29.07.44]

Hi Martin,

Middle of Sydney - have to get up early to fight traffic. Sydney may be a bit like PCT, it takes a lot of time and effort to get anywhere.

MT I remember when I was working regularly, trying to tell a lunch-table of three female colleagues about PCT. Their unanimous opinion was “Control? That’s such a male thing.”

It’s funny, my wife looks at her friends says the opposite - that many of them are very interested in control, over everything in their lives - except probably understanding control itself. It is an interesting point though. The majority of psychologists grads coming through here are female by a massive margin. More to follow.

···

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Martin Taylor 2017.05.28.12.19]

On 2017/05/28 12:13 PM, Sean Mulligan

wrote:

Martin,

You raise some good points. I'll only comment briefly due

to the late hour.

Where in the world are you? I'm guessing Eastern Australia? Is that

correct?

My goal is to do PCT

research would be taken, or even understood at all. This is
favorable environment to conduct research. This is trying to
an affordance for people that want to learn. Other
why people would bother looking at it in the first place.

interaction.

interest female?

Questions. No answers. Do any of Bill's family have suggestions? Are

Martin

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

[Leeanne Wright (2017.05.29)]

Dear Martin,

LW: Sorry to butt in here but I was just skimming through my emails and your questions about PCT and females caught my eye.

MT: Thanks for that. As a long-retired person who was never a part of team research with more than three in the team, I tend to forget the benefits of face-to-face argument as compared to electronic interaction.

LW: I am in Australia too (Brisbane) and I do miss face-to-face conversation with others about PCT.

MT: I remember when I was working regularly, trying to tell a lunch-table of three female colleagues about PCT. Their unanimous opinion was "Control? That's such a male thing." What proportion of PCT papers have female authors? How many women contribute to CSGnet? The answer to the latter question is "very few other than Bill's family" and they post very seldom. I suspect there's a similar answer to the first question, too. Why? What are they controlling for that is so disturbed by the word "control" that they mostly don't see past it? Could the on-line course somehow avoid creating that particular disturbance, if indeed there is a similar perception being controlled in most women?

LW: I can’t speak for other females but I have never, ever thought of PCT in those terms. You raise a point that I had personally never thought of before. It did occur to me once that there don’t seem to be many females involved in conversations or research about PCT. I am not sure why this is the case. Perhaps there is a bit more awareness about PCT among females in the education sphere. I know there are still some schools that seem to being basing their ‘philosophy’ on PCT��although I don’t know how much research based on PCT has been done in the education sphere?

Regards
Leeanne

[Sean Mulligan 2017.05.29.19.55]

···

It is an interesting question. Perhaps “control” was off putting to more liberal/feminist subgroups that saw it as an enemy to freedom. That seems to have died down a bit now. When I mention control to female clients (coaching clients from a wide range of professions), they are attracted rather than repelled. They desire control, and they don’t see it in terms of masculine or feminine norms or roles. My wife (solicitor) has found the same thing counselling her female team members, in fact she was the one that pointed it out to me.Â

BTW - Leeanne if you are ever in Syd and need a PCT fix then drop me a txt. We can discuss it over bad coffee. I’ve been told I’m considerably less of a bastard in person. It would be interesting to test that experimentally :)Â

Â

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Wright Family jlws.wright@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Dear Martin,

LW:Â Sorry to butt in here but I was just skimming through my emails and your questions about PCT and females caught my eye.

MT:Â Thanks for that. As a long-retired person who was never a part of team research with more than three in the team, I tend to forget the benefits of face-to-face argument as compared to electronic interaction.

LW:Â I am in Australia too (Brisbane) and I do miss face-to-face conversation with others about PCT.

MT:Â I remember when I was working regularly, trying to tell a lunch-table of three female colleagues about PCT. Their unanimous opinion was “Control? That’s such a male thing.” What proportion of PCT papers have female authors? How many women contribute to CSGnet? The answer to the latter question is “very few other than Bill’s family” and they post very seldom. I suspect there’s a similar answer to the first question, too. Why? What are they controlling for that is so disturbed by the word “control” that they mostly don’t see past it? Could the on-line course somehow avoid creating that particular disturbance, if indeed there is a similar perception being controlled in most women?

LW: I can’t speak for other females but I have never, ever thought of PCT in those terms. You raise a point that I had personally never thought of before. It did occur to me once that there don’t seem to be many females involved in conversations or research about PCT. I am not sure why this is the case. Perhaps there is a bit more awareness about PCT among females in the education sphere. I know there are still some schools that seem to being basing their ‘philosophy’ on PCT…although I don’t know how much research bbased on PCT has been done in the education sphere?

Regards

Leeanne

Cheers,Â

**Sean Mulligan **

M# 0459278195

**  lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com **

[Leeanne Wright (2017.05.30.08.13)]

Hi Sean,

The way that individuals perceive ‘control’ is certainly context-driven. I think that’s why it’s imperative that an operational definition of control is right at the beginning of any PCT conversation. I suspect that unless two (or more) people are in agreement over what they mean by ‘control’ they will be talking at odds and ends with all sorts of miscommunication occurring….

Cheers on Sydney. :slight_smile:

Leeanne

···

It is an interesting question. Perhaps “control” was off putting to more liberal/feminist subgroups that saw it as an enemy to freedom. That seems to have died down a bit now. When I mention control to female clients (coaching clients from a wide range of professions), they are attracted rather than repelled. They desire control, and they don’t see it in terms of masculine or feminine norms or roles. My wife (solicitor) has found the same thing counselling her female team members, in fact she was the one that pointed it out to me.

BTW - Leeanne if you are ever in Syd and need a PCT fix then drop me a txt. We can discuss it over bad coffee. I’ve been told I’m considerably less of a bastard in person. It would be interesting to test that experimentally :slight_smile:

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Wright Family jlws.wright@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Dear Martin,

LW: Sorry to butt in here but I was just skimming through my emails and your questions about PCT and females caught my eye.

MT: Thanks for that. As a long-retired person who was never a part of team research with more than three in the team, I tend to forget the benefits of face-to-face argument as compared to electronic interaction.

LW: I am in Australia too (Brisbane) and I do miss face-to-face conversation with others about PCT.

MT: I remember when I was working regularly, trying to tell a lunch-table of three female colleagues about PCT. Their unanimous opinion was “Control? That’s such a male thing.” What proportion of PCT papers have female authors? How many women contribute to CSGnet? The answer to the latter question is “very few other than Bill’s family” and they post very seldom. I suspect there’s a similar answer to the first question, too. Why? What are they controlling for that is so disturbed by the word “control” that they mostly don’t see past it? Could the on-line course somehow avoid creating that particular disturbance, if indeed there is a similar perception being controlled in most women?

LW: I can’t speak for other females but I have never, ever thought of PCT in those terms. You raise a point that I had personally never thought of before. It did occur to me once that there don’t seem to be many females involved in conversations or research about PCT. I am not sure why this is the case. Perhaps there is a bit more awareness about PCT among females in the education sphere. I know there are still some schools that seem to being basing their ‘philosophy’ on PCT…although I don’t know how much research baased on PCT has been done in the education sphere?

Regards

Leeanne

Cheers,

**Sean Mulligan **

M# 0459278195

**lack.of.inspiration@gmail.com **