CSG meeting called off.

Hello, all --

OK, after much cogitation, here goes. THE CSG MEETING IS CALLED OFF THIS YEAR FOR LACK OF ATTENDANCE. Only 11 people beside me have indicated they are coming, three have paid the conference fee, and five have described presentations they would like to give (three in any detail). A minimum of 20 people is needed to get the meeting room, sleeping room, and meal discounts. Some of the expenses such as bus transportation are the same however many people there are. Allie (my older daughter) has done a lot of work organizing the conference, but it has been my lethargy and illness (I'm much better now) that has left us without a viable conference. My apologies.

If anyone has made airline reservations, please try to cancel them. If no refund is possible, just reflect that coming here anyway would be somewhat pointless as there will be no meeting. If there is a financial hardship, please contact Rick Marken ( marken@mindreadings.com) and we'll see what the CSG can do to help. Conference fee checks that have already been sent have NOT been deposited yet and will simply be destroyed.

I think there were some crossed wires in our communications this year, so Mike Mermel, Fred Good, and Lloyd Klinedinst did not have much input to the organizing effort. That was also my mistake. I am going to abdicate from the conference-organizing business for the forseeable future and leave it to others. I plan to get my own portable oxygen concentrator with new batteries so I can do airline or train travel, removing the constraint of having the meetings here in Colorado.

So life goes on and we all have to reorganize. I regret this move, but having made it is quite a relief.

Best to all

Bill

Regrets. Election Year. Hope to have something for next year. Ted

Science is the process of eliminating supernatural explanations. - Robert
Park

···

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill Powers
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:15 AM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: CSG meeting called off.

Hello, all --

OK, after much cogitation, here goes. THE CSG MEETING IS CALLED OFF THIS
YEAR FOR LACK OF ATTENDANCE. Only 11 people beside me have indicated they
are coming, three have paid the conference fee, and five have described
presentations they would like to give (three in any detail). A minimum of 20
people is needed to get the meeting room, sleeping room, and meal discounts.
Some of the expenses such as bus transportation are the same however many
people there are. Allie (my older daughter) has done a lot of work
organizing the conference, but it has been my lethargy and illness (I'm much
better now) that has left us without a viable conference. My apologies.

If anyone has made airline reservations, please try to cancel them.
If no refund is possible, just reflect that coming here anyway would be
somewhat pointless as there will be no meeting. If there is a financial
hardship, please contact Rick Marken (
marken@mindreadings.com) and we'll see what the CSG can do to help.
Conference fee checks that have already been sent have NOT been deposited
yet and will simply be destroyed.

I think there were some crossed wires in our communications this year, so
Mike Mermel, Fred Good, and Lloyd Klinedinst did not have much input to the
organizing effort. That was also my mistake. I am going to abdicate from the
conference-organizing business for the forseeable future and leave it to
others. I plan to get my own portable oxygen concentrator with new batteries
so I can do airline or train travel, removing the constraint of having the
meetings here in Colorado.

So life goes on and we all have to reorganize. I regret this move, but
having made it is quite a relief.

Best to all

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am really disappointed.

Will have to keep in contact through Skype.

Glad you are feeling better.

David

···

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:15 AM
Subject: CSG meeting called off.

Hello, all –

OK, after much cogitation, here goes. THE CSG MEETING IS CALLED OFF THIS YEAR FOR LACK OF ATTENDANCE. Only 11 people beside me have indicated they are coming, three have paid the conference fee, and five have described presentations they would like to give (three in any detail). A minimum of 20 people is needed to get the meeting room, sleeping room, and meal discounts. Some of the expenses such as bus transportation are the same however many people there are. Allie (my older daughter) has done a lot of work organizing the conference, but it has been my lethargy and illness (I’m much better now) that has left us without a viable conference. My apologies.

If anyone has made airline reservations, please try to cancel them. If no refund is possible, just reflect that coming here anyway would be somewhat pointless as there will be no meeting. If there is a financial hardship, please contact Rick Marken ( marken@mindreadings.com) and we’ll see what the CSG can do to help. Conference fee checks that have already been sent have NOT been deposited yet and will simply be destroyed.

I think there were some crossed wires in our communications this year, so Mike Mermel, Fred Good, and Lloyd Klinedinst did not have much input to the organizing effort. That was also my mistake. I am going to abdicate from the conference-organizing business for the forseeable future and leave it to others. I plan to get my own portable oxygen concentrator with new batteries so I can do airline or train travel, removing the constraint of having the meetings here in Colorado.

So life goes on and we all have to reorganize. I regret this move, but having made it is quite a relief.

Best to all

Bill

Hello, Warren and everyone --

Having made that decision to cancel CSG2012, and having received very supportive and understanding comments from a good many of you, I feel quite bouyed up. In fact, the decision seems to have required a bit of reorganization on my part, because the immediate aftermath was a realization that I had NOT been looking forward to yet another meeting in which all of us who communicate regularly get together to say things with which we all agree anyway. When that inward-looking prospect was finally discarded, I found that I was immediately thinking of outward-looking ideas, to bring new people in and expand the activities of the CSG. In fact, what came first to mind is called the CSLCS -- the Center for the Study of Living Control Systems, my long-time dream. That's still somewhat farther into the future, but I think we can take some reasonable steps in that direction.

Here's one idea. Suppose we develop a curriculum for a one-week intensive workshop in which we bring people up from scratch to both an understanding of PCT and some informed intuitions about how control systems work. And after that, a separate week-long workshop on MOL can be given, which ends with a certificate of some sort saying that the participant has had instruction and practice in the use of this method. The latter would, of course, be more impressive if this could be done in connection with clinical psychologists in a university setting, and might even be feasible as a way of conferring continuing-education credits that mean something. For tweaking the curriculum in the beginning we could invite clinical psychologists to serve as guinea pigs by completing the PCT workshop or both workshops. We might then be able to establish a more formal relationship with accredited departments of psychology.

Once we have a workable, teachable curriculum we can then offer professional-advancement workshops to the general academic community, for a substantial fee. And having given such workshops for long enough to debug them and acquire some operating funds, we can start franchising them for a percentage of the income they generate for other parties. In this way we can make our efforts to improve and teach PCT and MOL into a way of raising funds toward the establishment of the first office and other facilities for the CSLCS, and to support further fundraising among such potentially interested parties as Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffet, to mention a few intimate friends, don't I wish. We can also think about a membership drive for the CSG with some increase in the dues, to help provide working capital. At some point, of course, we will need professional help with organizing the CSLCS.

I think that the "Distinctive" book just written by Mansell, Tai, and Carey would be an ideal text for the workshop, to be distributed a month in advance to give participants a running start, and to provide the framework for the daily presentations and participations. I don't know what the publication schedule is, but perhaps we could get permission to use preprints just to get going. Warren? Sara? Tim?

I'll leave it there to simmer in your minds. Miniconferences have been suggested as a substitute for CSG2012, to be scheduled, I presume, as convenient any time during the rest of this year or into 2013. Shall we try to set up a committee meeting drawn from the current CC list above? I will get that portable concentrator that allows me to travel more easily, so North America becomes the region from which a location can be chosen. We can also do telepresence meetings -- Skype has upgraded their video conferencing facilities, and GoToMeeting is also an affordable alternative.

Just to make this perfectly clear, I expect the committee to make the decisions and for my role to be merely as a resource. This is also a first step, one called "passing the torch" which may as well start now as at any time. We've talked about these general ideas before, but this time around they seem more within reach, and signify a distinct change in direction for our organization. For the first time, such plans seem realistic.

Anyone wishing to be excluded from further conversations on this subject or otherwise revise the CC list, please let me know. I will keep a current CC list as a text file and distribute it after any changes. Be sure to Reply To All each time you reply to anyone on the list, unless it is just to change the list.

Also, please suggest any additions to the CC list that you think would be appropriate.

Best,

Bill

With mixed feelings I received Bill’s news of a cancelled 2012 conference. I had just mailed the day before our (Bobbie and Lloyd) conference fees. We had made reservations at the Outlook a week earlier, only a few rooms left.

The mixed feelings included: regrets at missing the favorite event of my year, when it happens, at missing seeing my closest professional friends…relief at saving a chunk of money at a time of tight personal economy.

But as Rick observed ( “Well, the cancellation of the meeting has turned out to be very informative to me.” ) and I relate to an old saw; Alexander Graham Bell is reputed to have said:

Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we see too late the one that is open.

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

I got in touch with Tim Carey and the book Bill referred to is:

A Transdiagnostic Approach to CBT using Method of Levels Therapy

Distinctive Features

By Warren Mansell, Timothy A. Carey and Sara Tai.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is the treatment of choice for most mental health problems. Each different problem is usually treated by a different model of CBT. Yet evidence tells us that the same processes are responsible for long term distress in us all. This handy manual draws on evidence

Published October 2012 by Routledge

more information about A Transdiagnostic Approach to CBT using Method of Levels Therapy

which may be found at:

http://www.routledgementalhealth.com/cbt-distinctive-features/forthcoming/

I look forward to reading it. I too would like to know about the 22 hour module from Warren and Kent.

Without going into but not missing the occasion to suggest related doors metaphors, I look forward to opening our doors of perception about future ways and means to communicate and meet and promote PCT.

Not letting the door slam on my foot, I conclude my comments on the 2012 CSG conference cancellation leaving a few other metaphorical doors open:

Knowledge of what is does not open the door directly to what should be.

Albert Einstein

Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.

Coco Chanel

Every wall is a door.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reality is a sliding door.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Listen; there’s a hell of a good universe next door: let’s go.

e. e. cummings

Here’s to sharing many more opportunities to learn and helps others learn PCT, including my own hobby horse of getting one of the universities in this world to house and care for the collected writings, manuscripts, artifacts and whatever else of value which represent William T. Powers’ life work.

Lloyd

Hi Bill et al

Well, the cancellation of the meeting has turned out to be very informative to me. I’d love to know more about the Mansell, Tai, Carey book. And I’d also like to see the teaching modules developed by Kent and Warren. I guess that is one of the benefits of not having a meeting; you find out what everyone is up to;-)…

Dr. Lloyd Klinedinst
10 Dover Lane
Villa Ridge, MO 63089-2001
HomeVoice: (636) 451-3232

Lloyd Mobile: (314)-609-5571
email: lloydk@klinedinst.com

···

On Jun 6, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Richard Marken wrote: